• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tain

CaLe said:
Really debating also getting an oculus rift. Someone nearby is selling it at cost. Anyone here with both ? If so, do you find yourself using both or the Rift is collecting dust ?

I have and use both but it's mostly for development's sake. Most of my VR game-playing time so far has been in the Vive (between demoing and squeezing in short sessions here and there), but I'm looking forward to playing Chronos, Lucky's Tale, Edge of Nowhere, and so on. It's entirely possible that I'll find my time with those to be more enjoyable than my time with the Vive games I've played, but the big Oculus games are games that I want to sit down and play large chunks of at a time rather than the bite-sized scattered approach with Vive stuff so I haven't gotten around to them yet.

I wanted to play Lucky's Tail on my Vive with the Steam Controller. Revive adds shortcuts to the Oculus Home games to your library while SteamVR is running but you cannot add/edit any config. So I added the Revive Injector as a non-Steam game and added the path to Lucky's Tail as a launch option, and now I could add a Steam Controller profile. Works flawlessly!

Really debating also getting an oculus rift. Someone nearby is selling it at cost. Anyone here with both ? If so, do you find yourself using both or the Rift is collecting dust ?

Vive is by far the most complete experience from a feature perspective, so if you want motion controllers and games involvement for full body movement, go for that.
It comes at a price though - there's the literal cost difference, the fact the the headset is not as good as the Rift from a comfort perspective and the controllers are, based on pretty much every impression I've read, not as good as the upcoming Touch controllers. It's also pretty poor for seated games - sitting with the massive cable is a pain and over longer stretches of sitting still the comfort and optics sweet spot issues become much more apparent to me.

So it really comes down to if you want the full experience now, or can wait to see how the overall Oculus Rift package compares once Touch is out.

The only recommendations I could make now is that if you are definitely going to spend a lot of time playing cockpit games like Elite Dangerous and Project Cars - get a Rift. It's the best one for those by a big margin and you'll have the option to experience motion and varying degrees of roomscale once Toucih is out. But it's somewhat of an unknown quantity.

If you're happy to accept some compromises to get the full experience now, get a Vive.

There's also the "Do I want to support Oculus/Facebook?" perspective, which for some here seems to be a big factor.

EDIT - Just realised you already have a Vive! Oops. In that case - probably not worth buying a Rift And having both, although I did recently sell the Vive to keep Rift, but that depends on how much you want to use your Vive. Might be worth considering once Touch is out though.

deadfolk

If only there was an easy place to check if the games had SLI/Crossfire support as well.

I wanted to play Lucky's Tail on my Vive with the Steam Controller. Revive adds shortcuts to the Oculus Home games to your library while SteamVR is running but you cannot add/edit any config. So I added the Revive Injector as a non-Steam game and added the path to Lucky's Tail as a launch option, and now I could add a Steam Controller profile. Works flawlessly!

Genius!

I have both and my Rift is still unopened.

I'm waiting for e3 to decide on its fate.

Contrary to popular consensus, Vive's setup is easier on my mancave since lighthouses are high up in the corners. So I can track the headset wherever on my room. Oculus is a little bit more complicated since it needs to be on the desk (if I could get a similar setup for it I might keep it connected).

But even with seated experiences, the Vive is perfect. With pCars I just go sit on my playseat (which is pretty far away from my pc), put on the HMD and drive away. xD

bj00rn_

Banned
DCS is looking a lot better in the Vive than I expected (in the DK2 it was very rough and very laggy), so that was a nice surprise.. It's relatively clean looking and gives a nice feeling of presence too. There's still not enough resolution for a serious sim (difficult to read the HUD and dial text), but enough for me to come back to it and fly me some Warthog..

jj70

Neo Member
Hmm, did you try restarting the device and/or your system?

I've been using DP->miniDP for the Vive since day 1 without issues.

Oh, and silly question, but are you sure the cable is working?

Thanks, obviously yes I restarted and tried different ports on my 980. Cable is new and delivered sealed by Amazon (the Rankie cable suggested on this thread). I do not know how to try if not attached to the HDM as I do not own any other peripheral which could accept it. Are you sure there's nothing to configure on computer/nvidia control panel?

Onemic

Im trying to hold off on giving my full personal review on the Vive until I get the 1080, but one thing I think I can talk about is comfort specifically. I have no issues with the Vive being uncomfortable at all, it's actually pretty comfy to me imo. Of course I havent tried the Rift or PSVR, so I cant compare comfort levels to them, but at least from the comparisons that were given between the two, I was expecting the Vive to be the most uncomfortable thing in the world, but that couldnt be further from the truth. The Rift and PSVR may be more comfortable but the Vive definitely isnt uncomfortable.

Im trying to hold off on giving my full personal review on the Vive until I get the 1080, but one thing I think I can talk about is comfort specifically. I have no issues with the Vive being uncomfortable at all, it's actually pretty comfy to me imo. Of course I havent tried the Rift or PSVR, so I cant compare comfort levels to them, but at least from the comparisons that were given between the two, I was expecting the Vive to be the most uncomfortable thing in the world, but that couldnt be further from the truth. The Rift and PSVR may be more comfortable but the Vive definitely isnt uncomfortable.

I have never had a problem with it either, even after wearing it for hours playing Hover Junkers and Audioshield. My wife and mum find it pretty uncomfortable though.

Made a Gray Fox controller skin. This stuff is fun :D

ElEsUkc.png
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=694165119

Onemic

The general premise of procedurally generated sequences based on songs is the same as Audiosurf, as is the feel of how it does so. Speed-ups and pauses based on the tempo, "beat density" changes, etc. The interaction itself, however, is significantly different IMO. Kind of like how shooting in VR is different than shooting in a traditional FPS. Everything else can be the same, but the experience is quite different. The greater movements required for the VR interaction alone enhance the experience beyond Audiosurf. Perhaps its a release of endorphins from the exercise, or perhaps its due to the similarities to dance triggering some low level response, but I certainly feel more "into it" in Audioshield than I ever did tapping keys for Audiosurf.

I wont say the game is for everybody. It isn't. It's not a hand crafted experience, and the algorithm is very picky about what music works and what doesn't. More than Audiosurf even. I'm still trawling through my collection finding out which songs are the most enjoyable. Depending on a person's collection, it could very well be a bust. I'd say I get about a 2:3 ratio between passable and boring song interactions, with perhaps half of the passable being good, and a fraction of that being great. It favors upbeat songs in general, but being upbeat isn't any guarantee of it being good, and sometimes slower songs work surprisingly well. Lots of time needed with experimentation.

One thing is for certain though. Hardest is the only way to play. You can get your bearings on normal/hard modes, but the faster you move to hardest the better. The increased orb density and rate of hand crossovers are what makes the experience. Working up to a 10 technical score on a song where the orbs are coming from all directions and requiring you to cross your shields over constantly is where it's at.

I will say that the game definitely gives you a good workout, especially for busier songs.

Zalusithix

For my face it fits fine, and is comfortable enough that the only times I find it annoying are when I want to scratch a part of my face that's covered. Any VR headset will have that problem. I never get to the point where I feel like I need to take it off for comfort reasons; I've worn it for hours straight with no issues. That said, it doesn't fit my sister anywhere near as well. Even with the narrow interface it just doesn't sit quite right and has a tendency to slip down regardless of the band position. As such she can only wear it for shorter periods of time before she needs to take it off. It also doesn't scale the IPD low enough for her, so I think that adds some additional viewing fatigue.

So yeah, there's room for improvements, but depending on the person it can be comfortable enough that it's not an issue. It comes down face shape and size, personal tolerances, and ambient temperature. Face shape and size can't be helped. You are what you are. Personal tolerances can be worked on. I wore heavy helmets for 12+ hours a day as a kid with snowmobiles and four wheelers. The Vive is nothing compared to that. Use something enough and you'll adapt. Wearing glasses all day long was fatiguing to my nose when I first started oh so many years ago. Now the weight doesn't even register. Finally, ambient temperature is dealt with easily enough with AC. If you're not playing in a hot, humid environment, you're a lot less likely to be sweaty and stuffy under the headset.

Adr1ft is 50% of today it seems. Still no Vive support, but May isn't over yet I suppose.

I'd get it if I was 100% sure this version was getting Vive support. You can never tell how devs are going to handle that stuff. Have they ever given a confirmation that this specific version will get the patch?

I've been buying VR games in anticipation of my Vive, so I'll have stuff ready to play.

Does The Witness support VR? I vaguely remember reading that it did, but I can't find any information on it now. When I search Google, I just find articles on how the PS4 version won't support VR, which isn't really relevant on PC.

It comes at a price though - there's the literal cost difference, the fact the the headset is not as good as the Rift from a comfort perspective and the controllers are, based on pretty much every impression I've read, not as good as the upcoming Touch controllers.

Do you happen to remember the source(s) for this? I haven't been following VR news all that closely up until the past few days.

This is pirated software you are talking about since you are talking about a drm cracked game at this point.

This is pirated software you are talking about since you are talking about a drm cracked game at this point.

Pirated Software ≠ DRM cracked software. I can buy a game legitimately and then crack it. Under normal circumstances, it isn't worth the effort, but Oculus decided to be stupid.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I've been buying VR games in anticipation of my Vive, so I'll have stuff ready to play.

Does The Witness support VR? I vaguely remember reading that it did, but I can't find any information on it now. When I search Google, I just find articles on how the PS4 version won't support VR, which isn't really relevant on PC.

Do you happen to remember the source(s) for this? I haven't been following VR news all that closely up until the past few days.

Google brings back this:

http://www.theriftarcade.com/how-to-play-the-witness-on-the-oculus-rift/

I haven't been able to get it to work with Vive/Revive though.

Debatable

What if he owns a Rift also (CV1, DK2, or DK1)

If he own a rift it could be more of a grey area.

Pirated Software ≠ DRM cracked software. I can buy a game legitimately and then crack it. Under normal circumstances, it isn't worth the effort, but Oculus decided to be stupid.

You can't buy Lucky's Tale it's meant for oculus owners, so if you don't have a rift you are pirating it since drm is used to break it.

Not to hand, the last time I saw them directly compared was someone on here who had access to the Touch dev kit. There's not too many impressions since it's only developers who have it and they're possibly under NDAs, but there's been various impressions from events and the odd comments from developers on Reddit.

Generally the comparisons say that Touch is lighter and more comfortable, the finger tracking is a nice addition and that overall they feel like a more natural extension of your hand.

You can't buy Lucky's Tale it's meant for oculus owners, so if you don't have a rift you are pirating it since drm is used to break it.

Oculus decided to make the game available for free. Oculus could have set up a code redemption system, as they did for Eve Valkyrie, and as Valve did for Job Simulator and Fantastic Contraption, but Oculus chose not to.

Generally the comparisons say that Touch is lighter and more comfortable, the finger tracking is a nice addition and that overall they feel like a more natural extension of your hand.

Oh, I didn't realize the touch tracked fingers. That's really cool!

sk3

Banned

You don't have to own a rift to purchase software on the oculus store.
Your stance on this is bizarre and anticonsumer, do you work for facebook?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Breaking DRM is only illegal if it's done to subvert copyright law. There is nothing in copyright law that enforces how you use the copyright material as long as that material has been obtained legally.

I didn't think talking about Revive (in combination with Luckys Tail?) would be against forum rules. If it is I'll remove the post and refrain from talking about it.

Breaking DRM is only illegal if it's done to subvert copyright law. There is nothing in copyright law that enforces how you use the copyright material as long as that material has been obtained legally.

...my understanding is that this actually isn't true, unfortunately. :(

The DMCA makes circumventing software protections illegal, period. That's why it's technically illegal to backup DVD's and BluRay's to a home media server, and why the EFF had to fight for a specific exemption to the law for jailbreaking cell phones.

Nobody follows this though. Think about it. Just about every single unofficial mod anyone makes is technically a violation of the DMCA.

Oh, I didn't realize the touch tracked fingers. That's really cool!

Well, sort of. The buttons and sticks are capacitive, so it knows whether or not your fingers/thumbs are resting on them and can use that to do a bit of finger movement tracking. Sounds like it works pretty well though, it's just a little bit of extra tracking to make things feel a bit more natural.

Oculus decided to make the game available for free. Oculus could have set up a code redemption system as they did for Eve Valkyrie, and as Valve has done for Job Simulator and Fantastic Contraption, but Oculus chose not to.

You don't have to own a rift to purchase software on the oculus store.
Your stance on this is bizarre and anticonsumer, do you work for facebook?

I am perfectly aware that you can purchase items on the store without a rift. But Lucky's Tale (the game I was referring to) is on the store at this time and only playable IF you have a rift. You cannot buy it and it is locked out from playing nativley without a rift. Simple logic I am using here. You can try to spin it if you want but modding software to play for its unintended use is pirating.

What do you guys think about Superhot VR being Oculus timed exclusive?

Why does anyone care as long as revive exists and seems to be working? :D

Simple logic I am using here. You can try to spin it if you want but modding software to play for its unintended use is pirating.
Take this argument to its logical conclusion. Is everyone who mods Skyrim a pirate now? Or does it somehow depend in the intent of the developer?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I am perfectly aware that you can purchase items on the store without a rift. But Lucky's Tale (the game I was referring to) is on the store at this time and only playable IF you have a rift. You cannot buy it and it is locked out from playing nativley without a rift. Simple logic I am using here. You can try to spin it if you want but modding software to play for its unintended use is pirating.

As long as you can't buy it separately, I think it's a gray area. Because otherwise playing it on DK2 would be also pirating, going by the simple logic that it's only "free" with the Rift.

Zalusithix

What do you guys think about Superhot VR being Oculus timed exclusive?

I think I wont be buying it while exclusive. =P Also reduces my chances of getting it at all as there might be other things of interest by the time the exclusivity period ends. With consoles, exclusives can persuade me to buy the console they're exclusive to. It's the nature of that market. On the PC, I'll just ignore them. They don't make me want a Rift. If anything they have the opposite effect.

Well, you can still discuss about emulators on this forum, so until a mod states that Revive is breaking the rules I don't see why backseat moderating should apply.

I don't care if he talks about it or not, but the senario he was specially talking about was regarding a copy protection bypass to play it. So let it go and stop trying to come up with trivial other non related examples.

No they're not. :p

And even if they were, it wouldn't change anything, since in order to play the game you'd still have to remove the protection at some point.

Disc based yes they are. If they were not then you could burn carbon copy and they would work. There is a inside layer that the protection is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom