• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't care if he talks about it or not, but the senario he was specially talking about was regarding a copy protection bypass to play it. So let it go and stop trying to come up with trivial other non related examples.

That DRM check is not Lucky's Tale specific, it doesn't check the license or the validity/integrity of the game. It's a generic one that applies for any game launched from Oculus Home and checks if an Oculus HMD is connected. At least this is my understanding. So it's very much the same situation like with an emulator, more or less. Revive is a Rift emulator. Unless you have better inside information that indeed a Lucky's Tale specific copy protection check is cracked.

Disc based yes they are. If they were not then you could burn carbon copy and they would work. There is a inside layer that the protection is on.

Well, that's not quite removing the protection; it's making a more accurate copy :p

You're essentially right though, I was just thinking about it a different way.

That DRM check is not Lucky's Tale specific, it doesn't check the license or the validity/integrity of the game. It's a generic one that applies for any game launched from Oculus Home and checks if an Oculus HMD is connected. At least this is my understanding. So it's very much the same situation like with an emulator, more or less. Revive is a Rift emulator. Unless you have better inside information that indeed a Lucky's Tale specific copy protection check is cracked.

Breaking drm to play a game you have no rights to.. Thanks.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
...my understanding is that this actually isn't true, unfortunately. :(

The DMCA makes circumventing software protections illegal, period. That's why it's technically illegal to backup DVD's and BluRay's to a home media server, and why the EFF had to fight for a specific exemption to the law for jailbreaking cell phones.

Nobody follows this though. Think about it. Just about every single unofficial mod anyone makes is technically a violation of the DMCA.

Universal City Studios v. Reimerdes said in the ruling against the defendant that fair use could be used as a defense, but in that case found the primary purpose was illegal distribution.

Then MGE UPS Systems v. General Electric came and found in favor of the defendant because the primary purpose was for fair use, not illegal distribution.

It seems really clear this is a case where the primary purpose is fair use, not illegal distribution.

Universal City Studios v. Reimerdes said in the ruling against the defendant that fair use could be used as a defense, but in that case found the primary purpose was illegal distribution.

Then MGE UPS Systems v. General Electric came and found in favor of the defendant because the primary purpose was for fair use, not illegal distribution.

It seems really clear this is a case where the primary purpose is fair use, not illegal distribution.

DRM is copy protection. There isnt anything vague there.

Compsiox

Banned
Why does anyone care as long as revive exists and seems to be working? :D

It would make it seem like exclusivity works if you give them the sale while it's exclusive

I think I wont be buying it while exclusive. =P Also reduces my chances of getting it at all as there might be other things of interest by the time the exclusivity period ends. With consoles, exclusives can persuade me to buy the console they're exclusive to. It's the nature of that market. On the PC, I'll just ignore them. They don't make me want a Rift. If anything they have the opposite effect.

I feel the exact same way.

Disappointing but I can wait for it. Unless they lay off Revive, I'm not buying anything off their store that's eventually coming to Steam.

Definitely this.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
Really debating also getting an oculus rift. Someone nearby is selling it at cost. Anyone here with both ? If so, do you find yourself using both or the Rift is collecting dust ?
I've had both for about a month and had been debating back and forth about whether to sell the rift or not, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I've been working long hours lately and getting home late, and when your already tired and have maybe 1-2 hours to play and just want to sit down and drive a few laps in Pcars or AC, the simplicity and comfort of the Rift really shines. I absolutely love the built in headphones. I can't stand ear buds so when using the Vive I have to use either my Beyerdynamic 880s or Mad Dogs and the setup just starts to get heavy. The Vive cord is already heavy to begin with, and with another cord hanging down it just starts to feel messy compared to the ultra thin single cord on the rift. I find the sound quality of the Rift headphones to be surprisingly good. I also find the rift to be significantly more comfortable for long play sessions.

The biggest reason I would recommend the rift as a companion to the Vive, at least to someone who is into cockpit sims, is Asynchronous Timewarp. I have put significant time into Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, Elite Dangerous, and Flyinside/Prepar3d comparing them and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that they all run better on the Rift. On PCars using the Vive with the newest patch with Vive support, If I want to have 15 cars on the track I have to turn most settings down to medium and shadows to low or I start to get Judder. On the Rift version I can run 25 cars with most settings on Ultra or high and shadows medium and it's perfectly smooth. There is honestly no comparison. I'm sure Devs will eventually do what it takes for parity across both headsets, or perhaps Valve will come up with something that works just as well, but as of right now, for cockpit based games, Asynchronous Timewarp is superior to the deferred rendering technique the Vive is using based on my personal observation.

I guess in conclusion, if you have money to burn and you really like cockpit based games, have a wheel/pedals combo, and want something a lot more comfortable and convenient to just slip on and play, then I would say go for it. If you are only going to be using an xbox controller and aren't really into sims that much, then definitely pass. Don't expect massive visual improvement either, if any. Although the Vive has more SDE, I personally find the God Rays of the Rift to be the most annoying visual aspect of either headset. They are only a factor on black/white contrasting scenes(most menu screens), but god damn they are annoying. Thankfully I don't notice them when racing. The Vives circular lense effect doesn't really bother me at all in comparison. Anyway, they both have their place in my game room and I'll be keeping both. If I could only have one, Vive all the way, but the Rift is getting more of my time lately and the more I use it the more I appreciate the thought that went into the actual design of it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why the heck doesn't the Vive do asynchronous time-warp? It's just software, right?
Afaik, and I could be wrong, there's literally nothing the Rift can do that the Vive can't. However, the Vive can do lots that the Rift can't.

There's only one choice, imo. Fighting with exclusivity is so awful.

Afaik, and I could be wrong, there's literally nothing the Rift can do that the Vive can't. However, the Vive can do lots that the Rift can't.

That doesn't really answer the guys question. I'd like to know the answer as well. Things are just smoother on oculus.

Even as someone who's getting a Vive, I appreciate what Oculus is doing in terms of funding VR development. It's not that different from the reason I'm generally okay with platform exclusives on consoles—sure, they kind of suck, but it's unlikely that Journey, Bayonetta 2, or The Last of Us would have been made without a major hardware manufacturer bankrolling development. It's all well and good to say that the PC is different because it's always been an open platform, but the effect is the same: innovative games get the development budgets they need.

In this case, it's even better, because revive exists. All of the upsides (a major source of game development funding) with very few of the downsides (needing to buy multiple game consoles which essentially duplicate each other's functionality).

ValleyJoe

Neo Member

I don't think there is any reason the Vive couldn't use the exact same type of asynchronous timewarp from an actual hardware perspective. I'm sure it can. I just assumed it was something that oculus had patented or owned the rights to. Hell I don't even know if that's possible. Whatever the reason, they don't use it and it's extremely noticeable. It's let's me add 10 more cars and crank everything to high and ultra. That's pretty significant for someone who maybe only plays sims, and there are some people like that.

Personally I agree with you. I like everything about the Vive better and would recommend it to anyone over the rift any day of the week. I think Oculus current direction is embarrassing and I most likely won't be buying another one of their products. Doesn't change the fact that Asynchronous timewarp works great and that I wish the Vive had it.

viveks86

Why the heck doesn't the Vive do asynchronous time-warp? It's just software, right?

That doesn't really answer the guys question. I'd like to know the answer as well. Things are just smoother on oculus.

Yes it's just software. The Vive does it using a slightly different technique called Interleaved reprojection, which locks the game rendering to 45 if it doesn't hit 90 and then reprojects to 90.

Why Valve hasn't figured out what Oculus has to make it completely adaptive? I have no idea. Perhaps the reason is more philosophical (don't encourage devs to use ATW as a crutch for an unoptimized game) than technical.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
Yes it's just software. The Vive does it using a slightly different technique called Interleaved reprojection, which locks the game rendering to 45 if it doesn't hit 90 and then reprojects to 90.

Why Valve hasn't figured out what Oculus has to make it completely adaptive? I have no idea. Perhaps the reason is more philosophical (don't encourage devs to use ATW as a crutch for an unoptimized game) than technical.

I would hope it's not something they can enable but are holding back for that reason. I can understand wanting to prioritize optimization but the benefits gained in seated sims are huge and the drawbacks are negligible. I suspect eventually that Devs will implement their own form of "Asynchronous Timewarp" built into the games. I know the Flyinside dev has already done some type of custom Timewarp for the Vive version of his app, but it doesn't work nearly as well as the oculus method.

Sky Chief

Even as someone who's getting a Vive, I appreciate what Oculus is doing in terms of funding VR development. It's not that different from the reason I'm generally okay with platform exclusives on consoles—sure, they kind of suck, but it's unlikely that Journey, Bayonetta 2, or The Last of Us would have been made without a major hardware manufacturer bankrolling development. It's all well and good to say that the PC is different because it's always been an open platform, but the effect is the same: innovative games get the development budgets they need.

In this case, it's even better, because the revive exists. All of the upsides (a major source of game development funding) with very few of the downsides (needing to buy multiple game consoles which essentially duplicate each other's functionality).

Valve and HTC are also investing a ton of money and resources into VR development (I believe HTC alone is giving $100 million) and Valve is certainly not mandating exclusivity

Tain

Valve and HTC are also investing a ton of money and resources into VR development (I believe HTC alone is giving $100 million) and Valve is certainly not mandating exclusivity

Do we know any seemingly larger-budget games that have come out of partnerships with Valve or HTC?

viveks86 said:
That would be pretty lame. The effect is really, really great, and I'd love to see it on the Vive.

bj00rn_

Banned
So my Vive is coming tomorrow. Which games should I play when I get it? Any specific stand outs?

I guess you should start with The Lab. Then Budget Cuts, Space Pirate Trainer, Audio Shield, Tilt Brush, theBlu in no particular order. I don't really remember what is free or paid though.

Edit: Wait, I guess most of those are paid. I was confused because I got some of those titles for free with the Vive. Is the Vive bundle still active..?

The first game to come out of HTC's 100 million budget should be shown this week.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/26/htc-is-making-its-first-vr-game-for-its-vive-headset/

And in a similar context it's worth mentioning that HTC also invested 10 million in Wevr, the developers behind "theBlu".

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Did anyone manage to get decent performance playing Rocket League with the Vive?

I launched it through Virtual Desktop and it was a mess, despite my 980ti.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just watched this video on simultaneous multi projection on pascal. VR specifics start at 15m but the whole thing is pretty interesting.

https://youtu.be/mq8T42ymiBw

If their numbers are even close to being realised it could significantly increase quality by not having to render two viewports separately, plus rendering way fewer pixels. Combined with the already big performance jump of pascal (at least compared to the minimum spec of a 970) then this could be fantastic for VR performance and image quality

derFeef

I mounted my stations to the wall (instead of using tripods) yesterday but now I can't get enough space for roomscale? I can cheat a little but that's not a good idea... Now I am bummed because I have 2,1mx1,6m and it should be enough, even if it's the minimum space.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I mounted my stations to the wall (instead of using tripods) yesterday but now I can't get enough space for roomscale? I can cheat a little but that's not a good idea... Now I am bummed because I have 2,1mx1,6m and it should be enough, even if it's the minimum space.

Juts cheat if you need to. I had the same problem. My chaperone walls still match with my real walls just fine

Paganmoon

Just watched this video on simultaneous multi projection on pascal. VR specifics start at 15m but the whole thing is pretty interesting.

If their numbers are even close to being realised it could significantly increase quality by not having to render two viewports separately, plus rendering way fewer pixels. Combined with the already big performance jump of pascal (at least compared to the minimum spec of a 970) then this could be fantastic for VR performance and image quality

Thing is, devs need to support it specifically. Or maybe just the engine, I don't know, but it isn't completely free, which can hinder implementation.

Hoping it gets adopted though, and that AMD has similar function/support.

Scapegoat

Keep kajiggering man... I have the same dimensions as you and it took me quite a few (like 8-10) attempts to get a space that I was happy with.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thing is, devs need to support it specifically. Or maybe just the engine, I don't know, but it isn't completely free, which can hinder implementation.

I'm hoping it will effectively be free if (when) unity and UE support it.

But even if not, I think it is a big enough step forward that devs will adopt it quickly.

bj00rn_

Banned

If the performance advantage approx. holds up I can't even see how developers have a choice but to implement it.

If the performance advantage approx. holds up I can't even see how developers have a choice but to implement it.

This would be a setting from an engine right? To go as an option to choose in the settings menus of game I would imagine. At least for unity and ue4 would think this is how it would work:

That's great, but it doesn't change the fact that Oculus is ALSO helping VR game development move forward. More games getting larger budgets is an always a good thing.

(The one exception would be if Oculus, or Valve for that matter, was moneyhating titles that were already being developed in order to get exclusivity, a la Microsoft with Rise of the Tomb Raider. As far as I'm aware, however, this isn't happening)

Onemic

That's great, but it doesn't change the fact that Oculus is ALSO helping VR game development move forward. More games getting larger budgets is an always a good thing.

(The one exception would be if Oculus, or Valve for that matter, was moneyhating titles that were already being developed in order to get exclusivity, a la Microsoft with Rise of the Tomb Raider. As far as I'm aware, however, this isn't happening)

It's still stupid that they're making them exclusive. Straight up poisoning the well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom