• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Today I learned that you really should use the wrist straps when playing Audioshield.

Not because you can drop the controllers (you should stop playing before that happens :p), but because it sucks hard when you are on pace for a perfect 10 run and then the wrist strap for one controller somehow catches on the other controller :/

Is Holopoint really worth $8? Everyone says it's good, but just seems really, really simple, and I don't like the aesthetics at all.
It's very much worth it. As long as you like exercise and skill-based arcade gameplay.

wwm0nkey

How long does it take for a failed firmware update message for the HMD or is it safe to unplug? My controllers went fine but my HMD hasn't moved passed 1 for like 20min.

I feel exactly like you. The game looks like bland, uninspired garbage. It is incredibly ugly and demonstrates zero taste or pride with the developers. But everyone seems to love it. I question whether people enjoy the games because of the game or because of the lack of games. Too many people love it to not believe it's good, though.

It does look bland and uninspired, and I held off on buying it because of that. Turns out it is the most intense thing I've played on the Vive in terms of physical activity. I can't play a round of the game without working up a sweat, and unlike other physically intense games like Holoball, I don't fear smashing my controllers into something while playing.

That being said, it is a very basic game. But the core game play of shooting at stuff and then having to doge projectiles feels very good, and while people will compare the bow mechanics unfavorably with The Lab, they are configurable enough that you should be able to find your style.

Durante

I think the bow mechanics no longer compare unfavorably with The Lab after they patched in dual-handed aiming.

Also, they added levels 30-60 with new enemy types in a recent patch.

Zalusithix

Today I learned that you really should use the wrist straps when playing Audioshield.

Not because you can drop the controllers (you should stop playing before that happens :p), but because it sucks hard when you are on pace for a perfect 10 run and then the wrist strap for one controller somehow catches on the other controller :/

It's very much worth it. As long as you like exercise and skill-based arcade gameplay.

At this point it just feels wrong to not have them on for me. Plus it allows me to drop them at any time to make use of my hand and whip them back up when needed. Handy for a natural two handed pistol stabilization pose.

Even with the straps properly secured though, the controllers can conspire against you in Audioshield. The base of one controller can catch in the ring of the other as you're crossing over. It's only a momentary delay before it slips out, but a momentary delay is all it takes. Quite rare though, and I'm more likely to mess up for some other reason by an order of magnitude or so.

So I set this up expecting to be disappointed based on some reviews I'd read here...I was blown away. This was my first VR experience and it was really incredible.

One question...I was concerned about motion sickness but didn't experience that at all.. After spending maybe an hour in the headset I came out feeling super disassociated. Almost like the physics of our world feels off or something...

I feel exactly like you. The game looks like bland, uninspired garbage. It is incredibly ugly and demonstrates zero taste or pride with the developers. But everyone seems to love it. I question whether people enjoy the games because of the game or because of the lack of games. Too many people love it to not believe it's good, though.

Like I said, before I played it I felt exactly like him and you do. I STILL hate the aesthetic and hope it's just placeholder for down the line. In videos it looked like the dumbest, most simplistic thing ever. But playing it is awesome. It's really more about the physicality of it and no game (VR or otherwise) duplicates it at the moment. There's multiple levels of skill going on:
  • Bow accuracy
  • Spatial awareness
  • Target management
  • Your ability to dodge

That last one in particular is what makes the game so intense. Almost every target you shoot immediately shoots back at you and fast. Combined with those other elements means the game constantly has you scanning around the arena in 360 degrees, bow drawn, taking out targets from varying distances very rapidly, and literally ducking or swaying back after every successful hit like you're a boxer. The most accurate thing people say about it is you feel like Legolas while you're playing. It's true. It's ugly as sin, but it's also fun, makes you feel bad ass, and had me sweating within 10 or 15 minutes. Seriously no other game has you this engaged.

Jthn

Neo Member
One question...I was concerned about motion sickness but didn't experience that at all.. After spending maybe an hour in the headset I came out feeling super disassociated. Almost like the physics of our world feels off or something...
I've personally never got vr motion sickness but I have had what you're explaining. A friend of mine after playing said that it felt weird tapping his phones screen after playing because he expected his finger to go through it. After a long play session, I took off the headset and it took me a second to remember I could walk without chaperone popping up to warn me. I've seen some redditors report on having more dreams or vive related dreams as well. Probably just your mind getting use to it since it's being fooled while playing.

I've personally never got vr motion sickness but I have had what you're explaining. A friend of mine after playing said that it felt weird tapping his phones screen after playing because he expected his finger to go through it. After a long play session, I took off the headset and it took me a second to remember I could walk without chaperone popping up to warn me. I've seen some redditors report on having more dreams or vive related dreams as well. Probably just your mind getting use to it since it's being fooled while playing.

Funny it was using my iPhone that really brought it about. It was in no way uncomfortable just a feeling of weirdness...anyhow fantastic technology and I'm very happy I decided to jump in...seeing the vive controllers in the play space is something else!

Zalusithix

That last one in particular is what makes the game so intense. Almost every target you shoot immediately shoots back at you and fast. Combined with those other elements means the game constantly has you scanning around the arena in 360 degrees, bow drawn, taking out targets from varying distances very rapidly, and literally ducking or swaying back after every successful hit like you're a boxer.

I haven't played it outside of my first time, but it's kind of amusing because dodging never even occurred to me for dealing with the return projectile. At first I thought they were points floating back to me. Then I realized they were attacks. After that realization, my first instinct as a gamer wasn't to dodge, but to quickly draw another arrow and shoot the incoming shot down. In retrospect, dodging would have been significantly easier... lol.

Funny it was using my iPhone that really brought it about. It was in no way uncomfortable just a feeling of weirdness...anyhow fantastic technology and I'm very happy I decided to jump in...seeing the vive controllers in the play space is something else!

My coworker and I were just talking about this last week. After long Vive sessions, the real world feels off. I become very aware of my hands when they're in front of my face. The previous comment about feeling disassociated is dead on. Usually lasts about half an hour or so.

So I finally tried it. I will say this: I was more impressed than I thought I would be. They archery game was really cool. I basically only tried that and some zombie game but it was not the experience I was expecting. Seeing those vive controllers floating in front of me really messed with my head. So cool. I am now convinced that room scale vr is indeed something with limitless possibilities. I still wouldn't recommend jumping in until there are some more Proven experiences that don't feel like elaborate wii mini games. Well, I'm sure there already are some, I just didn't get to try any.

Krejlooc

Banned
So I finally tried it. I will say this: I was more impressed than I thought I would be. They archery game was really cool. I basically only tried that and some zombie game but it was not the experience I was expecting. Seeing those vive controllers floating in front of me really messed with my head. So cool. I am now convinced that room scale vr is indeed something with limitless possibilities. I still wouldn't recommend jumping in until there are some more Proven experiences that don't feel like elaborate wii mini games. Well, I'm sure there already are some, I just didn't get to try any.

next time try budget cuts and you'll understand

Zalusithix

Anyone else seeing glimpses of screen door effect in real life after spending a long time in VR?

I've read about people experiencing this, but it was typically in regards to the earlier headsets such as the DK1/2. I can't say I've experienced anything of the sort with the Vive.

wwm0nkey

Well shit, for some reason only one controller will pair, when i first set this up everything was going fine but after I reset my PC it just doesn't want to pair 2 controllers :/

Zalusithix

Well shit, for some reason only one controller will pair, when i first set this up everything was going fine but after I reset my PC it just doesn't want to pair 2 controllers :/

Perhaps a silly question, but are you actually attempting to pair them in the SteamVR->Devices->Pair Controller menu option, or are you just turning them on and expecting both to work?

wwm0nkey

Perhaps a silly question, but are you actually attempting to pair them in the SteamVR->Devices->Pair Controller menu option, or are you just turning them on and expecting both to work?

Pairing them. Seems one of the receivers wont turn on.

973d408f0300fe8e97a13a1adcc491d2.png

Zalusithix

Pairing them. Seems one of the receivers wont turn on.

973d408f0300fe8e97a13a1adcc491d2.png

Did the firmware update ever complete for you? I'd hate to think that the update process bricked part of the headset. The update shouldn't have taken more than a couple of minutes total including the headset reboot phase, so something was definitely amiss there.

Also, Durante, the ball's back in your court with Duvet. Give me a reason to stop missing one orb lol. ;)

wwm0nkey

Did the firmware update ever complete for you? I'd hate to think that the update process bricked part of the headset. The update shouldn't have taken more than a couple of minutes total including the headset reboot phase, so something was definitely amiss there.

Also, Durante, the ball's back in your court with Duvet. Give me a reason to stop missing one orb lol. ;)
It gave me a failed message so I reset, switched ports and it all updated. Anyway to reinstall the firmware?

Edit just tried it on my other PC, receiver 1 is still down

Saganator

Is Holopoint really worth $8? Everyone says it's good, but just seems really, really simple, and I don't like the aesthetics at all.

I tried it for about 20-30 minutes and just didn't like it. If the bow and arrow mechanics were more like The Lab demo then I'd probably change my mind. Game just didn't feel good to me, I wasn't a fan of the shards shooting back at me as well.

If you don't already have Audioshield then you should spend a few more bucks and get that instead. Might not be as much physical activity but it's much more enjoyable in my opinion.

Zalusithix

It gave me a failed message so I reset, switched ports and it all updated. Anyway to reinstall the firmware?

Edit just tried it on my other PC, receiver 1 is still down

Some stuff here on resetting firmware.

Failing that, you might want to get in contact with Valve. I know IMACOMPUTA got rather direct assistance with his oddball RF interference case, so they might be interested in figuring out what went wrong with yours if nothing works.

wwm0nkey

Some stuff here on resetting firmware.

Failing that, you might want to get in contact with Valve. I know IMACOMPUTA got rather direct assistance with his oddball RF interference case, so they might be interested in figuring out what went wrong with yours if nothing works.

Already tried, that Ctrl+Shift+Home thing doesn't even work

EDIT: yep it's RMA for me! Going to still connect it via USB until the replacement gets here I guess.

Things I don't like about the Vive hardware (getting it off my chest edition)

The controller buttons suck, the trigger is ok but those side squeeze buttons are an ergonomic disaster. the other two little buttons aren't so hot either. Also thanks for putting the power level indicator lights in VR but it would be nice to have it on the controllers. Speaking of power, when the power gets low the controller just disappears in VR or becomes unreliable. A message should appear. Same problem if one controller is occluded from the lighthouses, or a lighthouse is off. Messages inside VR needed.

They design all this custom hardware, but couldn't do a single combined cable from headset to the breakout box?

The sticky pad for the breakout box is useless and will get less sticky really quickly. sticky velcro would be better.

the power cables for the lighthouses are too thick and ugly. white, and smaller, would be a better choice for most people it isn't like they carry much current.

The wrist straps break too easily (allegedly) and that can be a disaster as the Wii proved years ago.

Not including a DP to mini-DP cable in the box.

The lighthouses don't power down to sleep automatically, the power switches on the back will not be used.

Oh and the box, the box is way too huge, with too much unnecessary padding.

The vibration function is weak. so much more could have been done there.

the big included instruction sheet is the first thing you see and its useless, the setup software is good. They could have done a 1,2,3 instruction sheet that makes sense..

ok they are my gripes.

Zalusithix

Already tried, that Ctrl+Shift+Home thing doesn't even work

Well that sucks. Guess you have RMA and Valve support routes at this point. Given that they seem to have decently fast turn arounds on the orders these days and the fact that the support route might end up in an RMA anyhow, I guess going straight to RMA would be the quicker, more foolproof option.

I am curious what exactly went wrong though.

Edit: And I guess you're going through the RMA. On the bright side, a micro USB cable routed from the spare port on the headset through a sleeve to the controller will at least make it (mostly) usable in the interim.

wwm0nkey

Well that sucks. Guess you have RMA and Valve support routes at this point. Given that they seem to have decently fast turn arounds on the orders these days and the fact that the support route might end up in an RMA anyhow, I guess going straight to RMA would be the quicker, more foolproof option.

I am curious what exactly went wrong though.

Edit: And I guess you're going through the RMA. On the bright side, a micro USB cable routed from the spare port on the headset through a sleeve to the controller will at least make it (mostly) usable in the interim.

That's what I am going to do until my replacement gets here. I hear the turnaround time is only 3 days after the RMA is placed.

Seems these stupid fucking USB 3.0 drivers have fucked over not only me but a few others as well. Why don't HMDs play nice with 3.0? When I get my new Vive I'm going 2.0 only

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Well boys and girls, after about 2 weeks of being a vive owner I've sold mine today. I made a nice profit too. I hope that vr will take off and that we will have a nice selection of meaty games. If and when that happens l, I'll definitely reconsider vr.

Do you guys still get freaked out when you turn around in a game and theres suddenly an enemy right in front of you?

The samurai from Holopoint gets me everytime :p

I thought that effect would wear off quickly but it's still just as bad as ever so now I basically spin around in a circle non-stop to try and prevent it >.<

thematic

That's what I am going to do until my replacement gets here. I hear the turnaround time is only 3 days after the RMA is placed.

Seems these stupid fucking USB 3.0 drivers have fucked over not only me but a few others as well. Why don't HMDs play nice with 3.0? When I get my new Vive I'm going 2.0 only

LOL
i really thought Vive require USB3 like Rift
I even bought USB3 PCIe card long before Rift/Vive launch to anticipate this (Oculus made a big deal about USB3 requirement)

Things I don't like about the Vive hardware (getting it off my chest edition)

The controller buttons suck, the trigger is ok but those side squeeze buttons are an ergonomic disaster. the other two little buttons aren't so hot either. Also thanks for putting the power level indicator lights in VR but it would be nice to have it on the controllers. Speaking of power, when the power gets low the controller just disappears in VR or becomes unreliable. A message should appear. Same problem if one controller is occluded from the lighthouses, or a lighthouse is off. Messages inside VR needed.

They design all this custom hardware, but couldn't do a single combined cable from headset to the breakout box?

The sticky pad for the breakout box is useless and will get less sticky really quickly. sticky velcro would be better.

the power cables for the lighthouses are too thick and ugly. white, and smaller, would be a better choice for most people it isn't like they carry much current.

The wrist straps break too easily (allegedly) and that can be a disaster as the Wii proved years ago.

Not including a DP to mini-DP cable in the box.

The lighthouses don't power down to sleep automatically, the power switches on the back will not be used.

Oh and the box, the box is way too huge, with too much unnecessary padding.

The vibration function is weak. so much more could have been done there.

the big included instruction sheet is the first thing you see and its useless, the setup software is good. They could have done a 1,2,3 instruction sheet that makes sense..

ok they are my gripes.

I agree with some of these. But I've not had any problems with the sticky pad. It stays like glued to my desk. My lighthouses also power down automatically when I activate that function in the SteamVR settings. The buttons on the back are for changing channels, not turning them off. And the vibration isn't meant to be strong, it's meant to be precise, which it is to a very high degree. It varies how well developers use it, but I think the vibration is one of the strong points of the controllers. I certainly prefer them to any controller vibration I've tried in the past.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The first review for Pool Nation VR popped up:

http://www.thegamerholics.com/pool-nation-vr-review-2/

If you press the left trigger the pool cue will lock in space. This allows for a back and forth movement which is just perfect to aim your ball. If you choose, you can then press your right trigger.

This will allow for movements that pivot around the first lock you placed on your cue. If done correctly, you should be able to spin the ball. The physics are so incredible that you can spin the ball and perform various trick shots.

There is a progression storyline in Pool Nation VR, however the levels are simply there for you to test and hone your skills. Progress is rewarded with custom cues, hats, and even table tops!

I’d dare to even give it the title of a realistic simulation as the physics were flawless and the graphics breathtaking. At one point I was so immersed I attempted to lean on the table and promptly fell to the floor...

And while this can never truly replace playing pool in-person, it is still the closest you’ll ever get to drink and play pool with a friend without leaving your house!

Holoball updated:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/457320/announcements/detail/806521826438485478
In this version we totally overhauled the paddle physics, and put much more emphasis on your swing speed (no more wrist-flick garbage!). Due to the new physics, we had to completely re-balance all game modes, which was pretty scary considering the positive feedback we'd already received. Hopefully it's still as fun!

* Daily Leaderboard
* Local Leaderboards
* Quick Restart
* Fixed: Paddle & Ball Physics (No more lag!)
* Fixed: Saber sounds
* Removed: Sweet Spots on Serve
* Updated: Increased point values across the board, since sweet spots are now harder to get.
* Updated: Re-balance of all game modes
* Updated: Increased bonus point values across the board
* Added: Zen Mode Settings
* Added: Custom Match Mode
* Added: GamePad & Mouse Input for AI controls
* Added: 3 new music tracks
* Added: Intro Scene w/ Credits & Warning
* Added: Game Settings
- Music / AI Mute
- Master Volume
- Playspace - Max Room Height
- Playspace - Adjustable Wall Padding
- Playspace - Rotate Playspace

- Long Press to Pause
- Bloom Amt
- Graint Amt
- AI Particle Trails

I've highlighted the stuff that I think are the best changes. They've basically fixed every criticism I had towards the game. This might turn into one of my favorite games now.

Despera

Banned
I tried it for about 20-30 minutes and just didn't like it. If the bow and arrow mechanics were more like The Lab demo then I'd probably change my mind. Game just didn't feel good to me, I wasn't a fan of the shards shooting back at me as well.

If you don't already have Audioshield then you should spend a few more bucks and get that instead. Might not be as much physical activity but it's much more enjoyable in my opinion.
I agree that the bow mechanics (even the updated ones in the new beta ver.) are far inferior to the ones in the Lab. I believe the developer should completely remove the need to manually draw an arrow for starters.

But once you get used to the controls somewhat and reach waves 10 and beyond it can be a lot of fun.

The potential is there, and all it takes is a slight adjustment to the basic mechanics.

As for the shards shooting back at the player, I believe it's a great idea and adds to the fun and challenge of the game.

Zalusithix

Haven't used my Vive for like 2 weeks and now I noticed one of my controllers has squeaky trigger. :(

One of mine makes a slight noise. Not really an issue though as you'll always have headphones on when using the headset. That and compared to the haptic feedback, it's totally negligible.

Do you guys still get freaked out when you turn around in a game and theres suddenly an enemy right in front of you?

The samurai from Holopoint gets me everytime :p

I thought that effect would wear off quickly but it's still just as bad as ever so now I basically spin around in a circle non-stop to try and prevent it >.<

Yes. I can only play one level of HordeZ a day because of how stressed it makes me lol.

wwm0nkey

Anyone know if you can just pair the controllers via Bluetooth? Hoping my RMA gets approved soon but would like to play this easier until then

Zalusithix

Someone at HTC was trying to tell me my EVGA card was the thing causing an issue and then dc'ed the chat.....wow

A certain brand of graphics cards causing headset <-> controller connection issues. Seems legit. /s That chat based support is something else lol.

VVV Mars VG

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Someone at HTC was trying to tell me my EVGA card was the thing causing an issue and then dc'ed the chat.....wow

Did you manage to update the firmware on that controller via USB? And stupid question, but did you restarted the HMD from the settings? (I had a similar issue at some point that was solved in this way)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom