• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paganmoon

Sharing what I posted in the high-end VR thread.

Steam Store list sorted by review score. The top 25 are must haves. When you have time to dig deeper, there are ~400 games with at least an 80% score.

Only thing I wouldn't agree on there is "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes", at least until they add Vive controller support. And if I'm not mistaken, it's the only game in the top 25 that isn't designed for VR from the start.

Zalusithix

I guess HTC is trying to give people a reason to install Viveport now with exclusive content. Remembering Pearl Harbor is available there and only there. At least for now. Not sure if it'll eventually show up on Steam.
image_3_v1480559621.jpg

More details at RtVR.

Do we have any word on some of these Oculus Touch games coming to the Vive? I'd love to try out Superhot and Please, Don’t Touch Anything looks fun.

I thought Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes works surprisingly well without Motion controls. Actually, I'm not sure if it would work well with motion controls—I feel like it would take too long to do stuff in the heat of the moment.

That said, I also think it works better as a non-VR game in general, despite the fact that I bought it for VR.

So, Art of Fight is really awesome, but they *seriously* need an option to clear bodies each round. The game runs great on my system until a bunch of corpses litter all the stairways, and at that point I can't aim at things because it's too busy jittering.

Also, they need to fix the sights on a lot of weapons.

Bread

Banned
So, Art of Fight is really awesome, but they *seriously* need an option to clear bodies each round. The game runs great on my system until a bunch of corpses litter all the stairways, and at that point I can't aim at things because it's too busy jittering.

Also, they need to fix the sights on a lot of weapons.
is it worth buying? i was thinking of grabbing a couple of copies so me and my friend could play

yah but my point is more of like why is it ok for them to put it out for PSVR but not for Vive? seems weird if oculus exclusivity only apply to vr on pc.
I'm not even sure they signed a regular Oculus deal. They were working with Oculus on Superhot vr before the Vive was even announced iirc.

SimplexPL

That's exactly what it is.

I would sort-of "understand" Oculus exclusivity if the game was not coming out for PSVR. But since it is coming to PSVR, what exactly is the reason for no vive support? It cannot be exclusivity, that ship sailed with PSVR announcement.

Maybe they have too little manpower and know that Vive owners will be able to use ReVive and so they prefer to focus on PSVR market which may be more profitable? (just spitballing here)

That's exactly what it is.

I would sort-of "understand" Oculus exclusivity if the game was not coming out for PSVR. But since it is coming to PSVR, what exactly is the reason for no vive support? It cannot be exclusivity, that ship sailed with PSVR announcement.

Maybe they have too little manpower and know that Vive owners will be able to use ReVive and so they prefer to focus on PSVR market which may be more profitable? (just spitballing here)
It's not day and date with the Oculus version right? That's probably part of it. Looking back they've definitely admitted to an Oculus exclusivity deal. Maybe part of the deal mentions they can't discuss a Vive version, but Oculus doesn't really care if you mention PSVR *shrug*.

is it worth buying? i was thinking of grabbing a couple of copies so me and my friend could play

It's absolutely amazing, but it *is* very much a WIP.

My thoughts:

Gameplay is fun as hell, and is very much counterstrike based -- Two teams, one defense one offense, two objectives, and a "bomb" (A virus ball in this case). One life per round, spend money on weapons and armor.

Controls are also really nice, and do very well at allowing you to do what you want. One problem I had with Onward is that it's essentially a pain in the ass to play left handed -- No such issue in AoF. Controls are completely identical from hand to hand.
Controls also let you do a lot of things that are missing in other games, I feel. You can climb over obstacles by placing one hand on top of something and "lifting" yourself over them. It's a bit awkward at the moment, because somethings that you think you need to lift over, you don't, and some things you don't think you do, you do, but other than that it works well. Dual wielding is also in and very natural, or at least as natural as you can expect when trying to reload two weapons.
Probably the best game as far as tossing your weapon goes. The touchpad is divided up into a Dpad and one of the directions simply lets go of the weapon, allowing you to drop it or toss it.

The walking works well, though it's definitely an actual skill -- you can see people who've mastered it, and they run like cheetahs. I don't get nauseous at all in this game... Not one bit. Maybe part of that is the comfort capsule though.

But there are a few niggles -- The corpses are left not only between rounds but even between matches, and after a whole match (or even just some really heavy rounds), the corpses all over the place bog down your framerate. I feel like it just needs a good "Clear bodies" button in the lobby. My framerate is silky smooth entering a fresh lobby, but after a match it's very noticeably performing worse.

Weapon models are a bit difficult for aiming. A few weapons the sights are just off... A few others don't have rear sight posts. The AK's front sight post is small enough as to be invisible. Pistols and sniper work great though!

Recoil feedback is a bit weird. Some guns it seems like it behaves like counterstrike, where your aim stays in place but the bullets go everywhere, and some it seems will move the weapon with the recoil.

Map design is a bit weird, at least on the Rooftops. Sightlines seem to favor defense a lot. Haven't played a lot of the office map because everyone plays Rooftops.

But these are pretty small issues, and I can easily see these being taken care of as it develops. Absolutely worth it IMO even as is.

Bread

Banned
It's absolutely amazing, but it *is* very much a WIP.

My thoughts:

Gameplay is fun as hell, and is very much counterstrike based -- Two teams, one defense one offense, two objectives, and a "bomb" (A virus ball in this case). One life per round, spend money on weapons and armor.

Controls are also really nice, and do very well at allowing you to do what you want. One problem I had with Onward is that it's essentially a pain in the ass to play left handed -- No such issue in AoF. Controls are completely identical from hand to hand.
Controls also let you do a lot of things that are missing in other games, I feel. You can climb over obstacles by placing one hand on top of something and "lifting" yourself over them. It's a bit awkward at the moment, because somethings that you think you need to lift over, you don't, and some things you don't think you do, you do, but other than that it works well. Dual wielding is also in and very natural, or at least as natural as you can expect when trying to reload two weapons.
Probably the best game as far as tossing your weapon goes. The touchpad is divided up into a Dpad and one of the directions simply lets go of the weapon, allowing you to drop it or toss it.

The walking works well, though it's definitely an actual skill -- you can see people who've mastered it, and they run like cheetahs. I don't get nauseous at all in this game... Not one bit. Maybe part of that is the comfort capsule though.

But there are a few niggles -- The corpses are left not only between rounds but even between matches, and after a whole match (or even just some really heavy rounds), the corpses all over the place bog down your framerate. I feel like it just needs a good "Clear bodies" button in the lobby. My framerate is silky smooth entering a fresh lobby, but after a match it's very noticeably performing worse.

Weapon models are a bit difficult for aiming. A few weapons the sights are just off... A few others don't have rear sight posts. The AK's front sight post is small enough as to be invisible. Pistols and sniper work great though!

Recoil feedback is a bit weird. Some guns it seems like it behaves like counterstrike, where your aim stays in place but the bullets go everywhere, and some it seems will move the weapon with the recoil.

Map design is a bit weird, at least on the Rooftops. Sightlines seem to favor defense a lot. Haven't played a lot of the office map because everyone plays Rooftops.

But these are pretty small issues, and I can easily see these being taken care of as it develops. Absolutely worth it IMO even as is.
Sounds amazing, thanks for the reply. I'm building my computer tonight and I haven't even experienced VR yet so this is going to be a great weekend with Art of Fight and Raw Data.

Sounds amazing, thanks for the reply. I'm building my computer tonight and I haven't even experienced VR yet so this is going to be a great weekend with Art of Fight and Raw Data.

Those might end up being a bit too much to start off with -- while excellent games, they are incredibly fast paced, and I imagine it'd be very easy to lose yourself and break stuff in the process. They also are two games known for having performance issues, which can be extra disorienting as a first experience.

I would *definitely* use The Lab to get accustomed to it, and then Space Pirate Trainer once you get used to your "box". But don't look at these as "lesser" games -- Archery in The Lab and SPT are still absolutely my two favorite VR games.

Bread

Banned
Those might end up being a bit too much to start off with -- while excellent games, they are incredibly fast paced, and I imagine it'd be very easy to lose yourself and break stuff in the process. They also are two games known for having performance issues, which can be extra disorienting as a first experience.

I would *definitely* use The Lab to get accustomed to it, and then Space Pirate Trainer once you get used to your "box". But don't look at these as "lesser" games -- Archery in The Lab and SPT are still absolutely my two favorite VR games.
Ok sounds good, I definitely want to check out The Lab first. I also bought Eleven to play with my friend. Can't wait for this work day to be over!

Delt31

So tried the doom bfg mod and almost puked. Too bad bc the game is pretty impressive but that movement holy shit

So tried the doom bfg mod and almost puked. Too bad bc the game is pretty impressive but that movement holy shit

I found it tolerable if I only moved forward and rotated my body instead of the controller to change directions. But once things get hectic, all of that kind of goes out the window.

Oh there's artificial rotation? Always a mistake.

Rotation is tied up to the direction of your controller, so you can sort of choose on the fly if you are doing it artificially or not. You can also toggle between different modes of movement on the trackpad that can be more or less comfortable depending on preference:

vr_strafing [0 or 1] - default 1, enable/disable left control strafing

vr_forwardOnly [0 or 1] - default 0, makes touchpad into a giant move forward button

vr_turning [0 - 1] - default 0, 0 no turning | 1 touch turning

vr_responseCurve [-1 - 1] - default 0, interpoloate between linear and square curves, -1 for inverse square

vr_moveMode [0 - 6] - default 0
0 touch walk
1 touch walk & hold run
2 touch walk & click run
3 click walk
4 click walk & hold run
5 click walk & double click run
6 hold walk

Delt31

Rotation is tied up to the direction of your controller, so you can sort of choose on the fly if you are doing it artificially or not. You can also toggle between different modes of movement on the trackpad that can be more or less comfortable depending on preference:

How do you access those settings? If I can fix the movement in break in as it was pretty impressive otherwise

Durante

Is anyone here playing VR the Diner Duo? At least in coop (never tried single player) the final few levels get insane in terms of difficulty.

Yeah, everyone should include The Lab in their first VR experiences. And the Budget Cuts demo.

Makai

Is anyone here playing VR the Diner Duo? At least in coop (never tried single player) the final few levels get insane in terms of difficulty.
This looks like something I saw in the indie dev thread a couple years ago. Probably the same dev.

XShagrath

I've played it a little bit solo and co-op. Yes, those later levels are pretty intense. I had to actually stop because I was so nervous and dripping sweat. I could never be a line cook.

Zalusithix

Tried out Grapply today. (Somehow missed this way back when it was first released.) It's basically Windlands meets racing; you pull yourself along the course with handheld tractor beams using course geometry or even the AI opponents. Much like Climbey, the assets are nothing special (though there are settings for SS/MSAA), but hey, it's a free demo. There's definitely room to improve and expand on the concept.

Edit: Adding repulsor beam capability would be interesting for spacial maneuvering. Combining and alternating between the two is something that should theoretically work, but not something I've seen used in VR yet.

Durante

I've played it a little bit solo and co-op. Yes, those later levels are pretty intense. I had to actually stop because I was so nervous and dripping sweat. I could never be a line cook.
We managed to complete level 28 on what must have been the 15th try or so. That stuff is intense.

Interestingly, it's a case where both the VR part of the game and the classic gamepad/screen part are both really challenging, and both must be done quite expertly to stand a chance in the final levels. Are there any other games with local asymmetric VR coop and that kind of challenge? (Are there even any other games with asymmetric VR coop?)

cakefoo

Tried out Grapply today. (Somehow missed this way back when it was first released.) It's basically Windlands meets racing; you pull yourself along the course with handheld tractor beams using course geometry or even the AI opponents. Much like Climbey, the assets are nothing special (though there are settings for SS/MSAA), but hey, it's a free demo. There's definitely room to improve and expand on the concept.
It's a dizzying game, but dare I say in a good way.

Zalusithix

It's a dizzying game, but dare I say in a good way.

Yeah, the tracks are saturated with curves in all directions, so there's lots of spinning around (but managed in a way that you don't really tangle yourself up in the cord). I don't get any motion sickness / vr nausea with it though. I'm not particularly prone to that sort of stuff in the first place, but oddly enough, all that swinging around has less of an effect on me than sliding movement in ground games. This despite having no fixed frame of reference or other comfort options. It might be due to the increased distance from the "ground" giving the sense of flying and detaching it from my normal balance expectations. Obviously that's going to be a YMMV sort of thing.

That said, I do think the track design would benefit from less reliance on curves. You're changing directions so often in most of the tracks that the flow and sense of speed gets diminished. They just need to put some longer straights in them with obstacles like the city, but ideally moving to vary things up. That way they can keep a challenge going, but at the same time allow some sense of speed to be built up.

Speaking of demos, I also played around with the Bounce demo today:
Screenshot from store page. said:
It's quite similar to GravLab in that the goal is to get an object from point A to B using a parts list filled with physics toys. Along the way the object (a robot) has to be routed through hoops and whatnot. It's different, however, in that it's a singular "ball", a singular start point and a singular goal, and most importantly: there's moving obstacles to some levels. The dynamic obstacles add a timing challenge to the routing in addition to the purely spacial aspect. It's also a finished game instead of an EA title so there's more content out of the gate. On the flip side, there doesn't appear to be any plans to add a workshop mode, so those will be the only levels bar any DLC expansion.

Being so similar to GravLab, it has many of the same deficiencies as well. There's no way to fine tune piece placement/angle for instance, so placement can become a trial and error ordeal of tweaking a piece over and over again to get the exact path you wanted. This is exacerbated by the lack of a GravLab like phantom ball mode where you can tweak pieces while observing the change in near real time. In Bounce you don't see the result until you manually initiate the drop again, and it makes its way to the part you're concerned about. This is just a tad annoying when you're aligning something at the end of a level, and worse still if you're aligning something at the end of the level that has moving obstacles requiring the drop to be timed correctly.

All in all I was impressed enough with the demo to get the full game. It's similar to GravLab, but different enough that I feel they're both unique in their own ways. I look forward to playing the full game - at some point... For not having any games, I somehow have one heck of a VR backlog.

Durante

It seems like (at least in the US, haven't seen any here yet) there are now VR-themed Steam gift cards:

Also, The Solus Project got a ~1GB update. I have not been able to find any information on it yet though.

I've tried Adrift in VR.... closed it down after 30 seconds, I wasn't able to get a grip on the controls, but that had more to do with the fact that the space suit is bahaving super distracting. Is it supposed to teleport and realign it's position relativ to yourself every 2 seconds? It's always super late to update it's position and that is a dealbreaker, is something off with my game or settings?

I believe I can get a handle on the controls but the space suit is intolerable like this, can you switch it off completely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom