• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

I like the simple and somewhat witty "Arizona Nightmare", but I also think that some description would help. "Arizona Sunshine |OT| Arizona Nightmare (Vive and Oculus Touch)"?

Then again, people could just click on the thread and read the OP if they want to know the platforms :p

I can confirm a bunch of the free Oculus Touch stuff that went up today works with the new version of Revive. Bullet Train in particular is a pretty cool demo and got me pretty hyped for Robo Recall. I also went ahead and bought Medium and that's really cool. You also get Ripcoil for free right now with any Touch game purchase (maybe it's any game purchase actually).

Delt31

wait so Vive will work with the oculus touch games (via revive)? Do you lose some of the impact though with the vive controllers vs touch?

wait so Vive will work with the oculus touch games (via revive)? Do you lose some of the impact though with the vive controllers vs touch?

Finger tracking is emulated so as far as I can tell all the functionality is there. It's not nearly as intuitive as it probably is with Touch, but it totally works as far as I've tested.

How does this work btw?
I tried one of the touch demos on the Oculus store (It's the one with all the old looking tech/robot it's pretty good looking) and it emulated most of the movements like GuitarAtomik said. Simply pressing my thumb down on the touch pad made the point gesture. Combining that with other buttons or buttons by themselves made others.

----

In general, I tried revive for the first time today. Really great that it works pretty well! I tried Lucky's Tale too, it seems pretty nice, just a chill good looking VR Platformer. Plus the world moving around me doesn't really make me feel bad at all so that's a bonus.

How does this work btw?
I tried one of the touch demos on the Oculus store (It's the one with all the old looking tech/robot it's pretty good looking) and it emulated most of the movements like GuitarAtomik said. Simply pressing my thumb down on the touch pad made the point gesture. Combining that with other buttons or buttons by themselves made others.

Yep basically. So Touch essentially can track your index finger and your thumb. The emulation for that on the Vive wand defaults all of your fingers extended. EDIT: (Got some stuff mixed up) Holding the trigger registers as you closing your index. Resting your thumb on the touchpad registers as you closing your thumb. The grip as you can guess closes the rest. So pressing those in different combinations allows you to do different hand gestures (grip + trigger with thumb off trackpad = thumbs up / thumb down + trigger = pinch / etc). It's not the most natural feeling, but it's probably about as good as it can translate.

Then they split up the trackpad more or less like this to allow for button access:

R2wJba8.png

Haven't tried anything twitchy that needs excessive use of the buttons and joystick together just yet, but Medium uses all of that and it works just fine.

Exuro

Then they split up the trackpad more or less like this to allow for button access:

R2wJba8.png

Haven't tried anything twitchy that needs excessive use of the buttons and joystick together just yet, but Medium uses all of that and it works just fine.
This is pretty clever. I'm guessing that having to hold the grip buttons is a little uncomfortable, but otherwise looks like it works well.

This is pretty clever. I'm guessing that having to hold the grip buttons is a little uncomfortable, but otherwise looks like it works well.

Yeah, pretty much. On Touch, that would be the second trigger that you would pull with your middle finger so it's less effort, but the grips aren't too bad.

Played adr1ft today on my vive. Yuck that game feels terrible control wise.

I got used to it now, keep the thumbs off the touchpads unless you want to turn/strafe. I would be lying though if I'd say that the game wouldn't make me extremely dizzy when I have to turn around 180, especially in space with the station in the background and my performance tanks on top of it. I probably should set the multiplier down to 1.0 for this game and see if performance improves a bit but the game is very jaggy and low res in big open spaces, up close it can be very sharp and pretty, so I'm hesitant.

I like ths slow floating through zero gravity feeling and punching stuff out of my way, but things like stabilisation shouldn't require air (I believe they do,the hud can be hard to read at the side of the helmet) and I'm not sure I will ever get accustomed to the nauseating dizziness when spinning around in space too much.

Durante

I can confirm a bunch of the free Oculus Touch stuff that went up today works with the new version of Revive. Bullet Train in particular is a pretty cool demo and got me pretty hyped for Robo Recall. I also went ahead and bought Medium and that's really cool. You also get Ripcoil for free right now with any Touch game purchase (maybe it's any game purchase actually).
I won't spend money on the Oculus store, but I'll eventually try Bullet Train. Really curious to see what UE4 can do in VR when used by the masters. Good to know that it works well.

Paganmoon

I won't spend money on the Oculus store, but I'll eventually try Bullet Train. Really curious to see what UE4 can do in VR when used by the masters. Good to know that it works well.

Personally, I'm not even really comfortable installing Oculus Home on my PC, so after getting my 1080, and reinstalling the OS, I didn't.
SteamVR (plus openVR demos from itch.io and wearvr.com, and other places) are enough for me.

Personally, I'm not even really comfortable installing Oculus Home on my PC, so after getting my 1080, and reinstalling the OS, I didn't.
SteamVR (plus openVR demos from itch.io and weavr.com, and other places) are enough for me.

I didn't even know WeaVR was digital store (your link takes me somewhere else, prolly unintentional).

I'm also not going to be supporting the Oculus eco-system but "Medium" has me really intrigued, hope there will be something like this available down the line for open VR platforms.

Paganmoon

I didn't even know WeaVR was digital store (your link takes me somewhere else, prolly unintentional).

I'm also not going to be supporting the Oculus eco-system but "Medium" has me really intrigued, hope there will be something like this available down the line for open VR platforms.

Oops, it's supposed to be Wearvr.com, fixed. Most of their stuff links to Steam-pages though, but there have been a few things I've found there not available on Steam.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Is there a list of games somewhere that are recommended for folks just getting their Vr headsets? I wound up getting the Rift (w/ touch controllers) and the Vive. I've been enjoying most of the free stuff but will likely want to dive in deeper over the weekend into some paid stuff.

Is there a list of games somewhere that are recommended for folks just getting their Vr headsets? I wound up getting the Rift (w/ touch controllers) and the Vive. I've been enjoying most of the free stuff but will likely want to dive in deeper over the weekend into some paid stuff.

Both headsets? Baller.

Paid stuff I've really enjoyed:
Space Pirate Trainer
Raw Data
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades
Final Approach
Climbey
Elite Dangerous (if you think you can get into space sims and have a HOTAS)

Bookoo

Oculus:
Chronos
Edge of Nowhere
Eagle Flight
Dragon Front (I think this may just be in beta)

Vive:
Budget Cuts demo (It is free, but just making sure if you haven't tried it)
Vanishing Realms (It's an early access thing, but seemed neat. He has recently updated it and added some more content.)
Onward (Only tried this briefly, but people seem to rave about it)

I have heard of good things about Call of the Starseed (Both Headsets), SuperHotVR (Oculus), and I Expect You to Die (Oculus). There are numerous wave shooters so it's hard to recommend them. Space Pirate trainer is good, Raw Data seemed pretty good, but early. I haven't tried any of the newer ones.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Both headsets? Baller.

Paid stuff I've really enjoyed:
Space Pirate Trainer
Raw Data
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades
Final Approach
Climbey
Elite Dangerous (if you think you can get into space sims and have a HOTAS)

Oculus:
Chronos
Edge of Nowhere
Eagle Flight
Dragon Front (I think this may just be in beta)

Vive:
Budget Cuts demo (It is free, but just making sure if you haven't tried it)
Vanishing Realms (It's an early access thing, but seemed neat. He has recently updated it and added some more content.)
Onward (Only tried this briefly, but people seem to rave about it)

I have heard of good things about Call of the Starseed (Both Headsets), SuperHotVR (Oculus), and I Expect You to Die (Oculus). There are numerous wave shooters so it's hard to recommend them. Space Pirate trainer is good, Raw Data seemed pretty good, but early. I haven't tried any of the newer ones.

Thanks for the recommendations! Budget Cuts is pretty good. I don't know why, but I was surprised to see the robots being the same size as me. Kinda freaked me out.

I tried Blasters of the Universe after the new update and I really like the direction it's going. It's a wave shooter but the variety in gun customization, shield selection, enemy diversity, production value, and bullet hell approach (where only your head takes damage) is really fun and makes it feel a lot different from say Space Pirate Trainer.

I've been a bit more conservative with what I've flat out purchased, but I would *absolutely* recommend Space Pirate Trainer and Raw Data, as well as Vanishing Realms.

Space Pirate Trainer is a game I keep coming back to, Raw Data is the biggest "powerhouse" game, and Vanishing Realms is a game that I wish they'd never stop making bigger.

There's also Art of Fight, though you might want to wait a bit on it, and Elite Dangerous, which is *amazing*, but requires a fairly beefy setup and a HOTAS to boot.

Bookoo

Thanks for the recommendations! Budget Cuts is pretty good. I don't know why, but I was surprised to see the robots being the same size as me. Kinda freaked me out.

Ha yea, the first time I played it I got caught and they ran at me and it really freaked me out.

The same thing happened to me in Raw Data in the shooting range. The robot runs off the elevator and I freaked out and just started shooting at it even though I found out later it stops and stands there. Apparently I would not be good in a high pressure situation with a firearm.

Ferrio

Banned
I played Accounting for the first time yesterday, laughed my ass off during the whole thing. Need to replay it and make sure I heard all the dialogue though.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I played Accounting for the first time yesterday, laughed my ass off during the whole thing. Need to replay it and make sure I heard all the dialogue though.

That reminds me, I need to get back in there and work on that mini-walkthrough for things to see in the spoiler thread
Edit: did find one new minor thing. (thread)

Trojan

The new Steam Beta patch notes say they include a fix for Superhot crashing when running with ReVive.

Does Revive run pretty much every Oculus game now with good performance? I still haven't downloaded it but with Superhot out now I really want to jump in.

What other Oculus games should I get using Revive that aren't available on Vive right now?

Paganmoon

So what are the best online experiences? So far I only have Arizona sunshine and I can't get matchmaking to work.

Rec Room, QuiVR I'd say. And Durante swears by Raw Data, so I'd say that as well.

Could be that there just aren't enough players online for matchmaking in Arizona Sunshine currently? QuiVR and Rec Room usually have folks online though.

Does Revive run pretty much every Oculus game now with good performance? I still haven't downloaded it but with Superhot out now I really want to jump in.

What other Oculus games should I get using Revive that aren't available on Vive right now?

Unfortunately, you are asking the wrong person... I have yet to try it out myself (ReVive) :)

But I'm inclined to wait until there is a real vive version of Superhot (don't know if that happens but I'm very patient)

Durante

Rec Room, QuiVR I'd say. And Durante swears by Raw Data, so I'd say that as well.
Yep. QuiVR and Raw Data (and hopefully now Arizona Sunshine, I'll finally be able to play it today) are the best online cooperative experiences currently available that I know of.

I haven't really done any competitive VR gaming, but many seem to hold up Onward as the standard for that..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom