• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
Ugh...if I trade in stuff to GameStop, I can get a Vive for $430. I'm so fucking tempted but I know I don't need one :( I don't even have enough space in my bedroom for a room-scale experience. Plus I'm still rocking a GTX 770 which I've heard actually works but I'm wary. I think I'm just afraid of getting one because anytime I make a large purchase like that, my car breaks down or I end up owing money somewhere. Never fails lol. The other reason is I don't know how troublesome it is to set up the base stations. I'd have to screw mine into the walls and then find two power outlets plus the Vive itself needs an outlet. I suppose I can just buy one more power strip.

Don't do it.

Crispy75

I had the chance to set up my vive at my local makerspace, where there was enough space for Robot Repair to be done entirely 1:1 with no teleporting. It was amazing.

E-flux

Not that I've seen... Suggestions please?

pretty much all of the other locomotion styles other than the weird air walking that's in climbey and a few other games. Personally i think the best movement up to this point has been in this game:

Cool looking prototype game
U0ppDxz.gif

Comments - https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5dxump/lofi_hobby_project_week_9_download_available_in/
Download - https://notdead.itch.io/weekend
Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRnfZj6oync

Grip button made you run where you wanted, while the pause button on top of the wheel made your character run to the point where you pointed so you could focus on other things with both hands. Teleportation is completely fine when the game is made around it like Budget cuts, otherwise it completely removes me from the experience. Preferred locomotion style is highly subjective though, so i hope that devs keep putting options for different type of people.

abracadaver

You can get five free games from HTC:
Cloudlands Mini Golf, The Gallery, Zombie Training Simulator, A-10 VR and Jooboman.

If you enter your product serial number here: http://www.htconeday.com/viveoffer
It doesn't seen to work for everybody (since it is an offer for Australia), but you can use different serial numbers to get more then one set of codes. Would be great, if somebody could get a pair of codes for me, since it doesn't work at my end. =)

What is Jooboman?

I can't find it on the Steam store

FSLink

Banned
Ugh...if I trade in stuff to GameStop, I can get a Vive for $430. I'm so fucking tempted but I know I don't need one :( I don't even have enough space in my bedroom for a room-scale experience. Plus I'm still rocking a GTX 770 which I've heard actually works but I'm wary. I think I'm just afraid of getting one because anytime I make a large purchase like that, my car breaks down or I end up owing money somewhere. Never fails lol. The other reason is I don't know how troublesome it is to set up the base stations. I'd have to screw mine into the walls and then find two power outlets plus the Vive itself needs an outlet. I suppose I can just buy one more power strip.

I ran stuff on a 670 for a little while and could run most games reasonably well while waiting for my 1070 to come in. Wouldn't recommend it though.

Plus if you don't aren't financially well off enough that you don't have an emergency fund, I highly recommend you wait. Everything about your post screams "I should wait".

And you want to trade things into Gamestop? If you have some patience you could sell off stuff on eBay/Craigslist for MUCH more.

I just pulled the trigger on this without much research. Is it going to be an issue that I have very little space to use this? 3'x6'

For the new page. My pc is in my bedroom with very limited space. Is it possible to use the vice outside of it in the living room? 8' away.

Thanks!

Can all games be played in sitting / standing?

Onemic

pretty much all of the other locomotion styles other than the weird air walking that's in climbey and a few other games. Personally i think the best movement up to this point has been in this game:

Grip button made you run where you wanted, while the pause button on top of the wheel made your character run to the point where you pointed so you could focus on other things with both hands. Teleportation is completely fine when the game is made around it like Budget cuts, otherwise it completely removes me from the experience. Preferred locomotion style is highly subjective though, so i hope that devs keep putting options for different type of people.

Also Onward, which is one of the most popular VR games out.

Once again, the issue isnt that teleportation is a locomotion option, its that it's the only option, even for titles that clearly aren't built for it in mind.

Zalusithix

Man I was so close to buying a Vive yesterday. That deal was amazing but I won't have the cash on hand for another two days. Fingers crossed they offer the deal or maybe even something better in the coming weeks.

Well the deal continues through Cyber Monday, so depending on what you mean by two days, it might still be available. =P

sueil

My Vive is 1 town away sitting at a fed ex building until Monday. It's killing me. HTC put a do not deliver on weekends tag on the shipment according to fedex.com I would have paid for faster shipping if they let me!

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Hey guys...

I've been a bit out of the loop on VR lately. Few questions:

1. How have hardware sales been between all the VR platforms? (including Oculus and PSVR)
2. How have sales been of games on Vive and other platforms?
3. Is this "first gen" considered successful enough to keep a lot of developers around for the next gen?
4. Do we know anything about what to expect for a second generation vive? Cheaper? Smaller?

E-flux

Also Onward, which is one of the most popular VR games out.

Once again, the issue isnt that teleportation is a locomotion option, its that it's the only option, even for titles that clearly aren't built for it in mind.

I don't know if i would call it one of the most popular games on vive since it has around 50~ players playing at any given time. It's one of the best though.

Makai

Hey guys...

I've been a bit out of the loop on VR lately. Few questions:

1. How have hardware sales been between all the VR platforms? (including Oculus and PSVR)
2. How have sales been of games on Vive and other platforms?
3. Is this "first gen" considered successful enough to keep a lot of developers around for the next gen?
4. Do we know anything about what to expect for a second generation vive? Cheaper? Smaller?

1/2. Vive and Rift have sold like 150k each. Unknown for PSVR but probably a lot more. Cardboard and Gear are in the millions. Daydream is in the dozens.
3. Owlchemy Labs got seed funding and they exclusively do VR now.
4. Wireless

Durante

Really? That makes it fairly pointless then. I was for sure that it would be just like any other wireless signal.
Not at all. It needs to be >10 times higher bandwidth and far lower latency than a standard wireless signal you'd use for e.g. networking. The point is to remove the cable to the HMD from the equation.

1/2. Vive and Rift have sold like 150k each.
We don't really know any numbers, do we?

4. Wireless
We also don't actually know that.

Actually just tried this prototype, it's pretty cool! Hopefully the dude is able to flesh it out more eventually. But yeah Teleportation is the only way for me, holding the grips for the other movement just has never felt good, here or in any other game I've done.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
1/2. Vive and Rift have sold like 150k each. Unknown for PSVR but probably a lot more. Cardboard and Gear are in the millions. Daydream is in the dozens.
3. Owlchemy Labs got seed funding and they exclusively do VR now.
4. Wireless

No, they didn't sold 150k each. Lets stop spreading wrong info.

XShagrath

Not at all. It needs to be >10 times higher bandwidth and far lower latency than a standard wireless signal you'd use for e.g. networking. The point is to remove the cable to the HMD from the equation.
I guess I should add that it's pointless for me. The cable going to the HMD has really only bothered me in just a couple cases (Holopoint being the main culprit). It's never really impeded me or taken me out of the immersion. However, unrolling 50' of HDMI/USB cables and plugging everything in is the hassle for me. I have two walls between my PC and my VR space, so it looks like it's just not going to work for me. Oh well.

Padinn

I got mine setup today. I have a fairly small area (2.0 x 1.5m) and it's been fun so far. Have Space Pirate Trainer, Pool Nation VR, and a few others. Also tried the Star Wars demo and it was sweet.

It seems like for me everything is a little blurry, I think I need to work more on adjusting it to better fit my head.

Also, is there anywhere I need to register the headset for the warranty?

If you want to run a long HDMI and USB cable like I do, then sure. There's also a wireless adapter coming out next year.

Yeah. You'll probably need cable extensions though depending on how far away the two are.

so my living room is right outside of my bedroom. I'd need ~12-15ft cables. do you guys have good recommendations and of which cables I actually need? An HDMI sure but what USB?

zeioIIDX

Yeah, the couple posters in this thread who said I should wait are right, I know they are. To top it off, I'm a single dad so I KNOW I don't need a Vive right now. Getting priorities back in check lol, I'm fine now. I think I can settle for playing the demo system at GameStop once in a blue moon haha. It ain't that serious.

Teleportation is completely fine when the game is made around it like Budget cuts, otherwise it completely removes me from the experience. Preferred locomotion style is highly subjective though, so i hope that devs keep putting options for different type of people.

I think that's what really ought to be happening with every game. Budget Cuts should be the rule, not the exception.

I'm a bit worried about how many games aren't using teleportation as a default. When I talk to people about VR, they often say that "it looks cool, but I'm worried that I would get sick." I tell them that Vive games don't make anyone motion sick, thinking about stuff like The Lab and The Blu etc. But if most games start pushing other stuff... I feel like it's a messaging issue.

This is coming from someone who never gets motion sick, and never has btw. (Although I'm admittedly not being entirely selfless—although sliding locomotion never makes me sick, it does ruin my sense of presence for some reason)

Is there another way to update the headset firmware? Can I download it somewhere or cut out the breakout box from the process? I always get an error and don't know why.

I guess I should add that it's pointless for me. The cable going to the HMD has really only bothered me in just a couple cases (Holopoint being the main culprit). It's never really impeded me or taken me out of the immersion. However, unrolling 50' of HDMI/USB cables and plugging everything in is the hassle for me. I have two walls between my PC and my VR space, so it looks like it's just not going to work for me. Oh well.

I think that a giant cable dragging on the floor which needs to get untwisted from time to time just looks unwieldy, even if no one is watching and it's just an image in my head. It kind of feels more ridiculous than it is.

But if it came to it, I think I'd take a lighter headset over a wireless headset. Unless both options were already several times lighter than what we have now.

XShagrath

I think that a giant cable dragging on the floor which needs to get untwisted from time to time just looks unwieldy, even if no one is watching and it's just an image in my head. It kind of feels more ridiculous than it is.
The giant cable doesn't need to be untwisted, as it's going to the link box. It is still a bit of a hassle to unroll and re-roll the cable whenever I wanna play, so I'd welcome a wireless option. Hopefully in the future, they'll figure out something that doesn't require line of sight.

sueil

Man my Vive is going to arrive in mere minutes (Fed Ex always gets here within like half an hour of noon) and I'm so excited and a little bit scared. I think I have everything all set for my playspace but a little worried about tracking since I could only move so much furniture.

E-flux

This guy made a video about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT3Y5dZ-nLg

looks like the VR movement/interaction was very well implemented. Never played Penumbra but it shot up on my "next game to play" list due to this.

Penumbra Overture isn't very good, it has a good atmosphere but the enemy "design" is sorely lack luster and the combat was horrible, not sure if it's better now though. The next game Black plague is easily the best game frictional has done up to this point.

Thankfully the game isn't that long, it has an interesting story setup and the atmosphere is quite good.

Man my Vive is going to arrive in mere minutes (Fed Ex always gets here within like half an hour of noon) and I'm so excited and a little bit scared. I think I have everything all set for my playspace but a little worried about tracking since I could only move so much furniture.

Fedex says mine is arriving soon too! Can't wait.

jahepi

Well, i just upgraded from 970 to 1070 to improve image quality on my vive using super sampling, i tested raw data, i set SS to 1.4, and all graphics options at medium and it still lags as hell on some scenarios, is that game really demanding?, because it does not look like it requires such a monster PC to run properly.

Durante

Well, i just upgraded from 970 to 1070 to improve image quality on my vive using super sampling, i tested raw data, i set SS to 1.4, and all graphics options at medium and it still lags as hell on some scenarios, is that game really demanding?, because it does not look like it requires such a monster PC to run properly.
First of all, setting options to medium in Raw Data does almost nothing in performance terms, you can just as well keep them at high. That said, it simply is that demanding. On my OC'd 1080, since asynchronous reprojection appeared, I'm playing at 1.4.

Hopefully, they will be able to migrate to the forward renderer in the new UE version, or at least gain some significant performance in other ways.

jahepi

First of all, setting options to medium in Raw Data does almost nothing in performance terms, you can just as well keep them at high. That said, it simply is that demanding. On my OC'd 1080, since asynchronous reprojection appeared, I'm playing at 1.4.

Hopefully, they will be able to migrate to the forward renderer in the new UE version, or at least gain some significant performance in other ways.

Hi Durante, thanks, i will keep them at high, its a bit discouraging to know that even with an oc 1080 there are still performance issues, i hope that in the near future there will be improvements as you said.

I played forty minutes or something of the Doom 3 mod, and it was really well made. However I don't see myself playing through the game this way though. I can handle the movement scheme if I walk at about half the speed and make sure that the controller direction lines up with my body, so that I have to physically turn in order to turn ingame.

But once shit starts going down, you kind of have to do a lot more advanced movements to not be a sitting duck, and any somewhat surprising altercation pushed me a little step closer to simulation sickness. And this being a monster closet game kind of puts you in those situations a bit too often.

That being said, the mod is really well done. It runs perfectly, the control scheme makes a lot of sense for what it is trying to do and the cinematic mode that puts a black frame around the scene whenever camera control is taken from you is a life saver.

Onemic

Sent my basestation to HTC repair today. Hopefully I get it back soon, so I can play Arizona Sunshine and the Doom 3 VR mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom