• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every day I think of another fantastic thing that could be in Fallout 4 VR.

Today I remembered the Mysterious Stranger perk, where (if you're not familiar) a trenchcoat and fedora-adorned figure randomly shows up when using VATS. Now imagine in VR, you hear an unexpected shot ring out and see this dude standing there taking shots at your target.

Man, I really hope they go all-in with F4VR.

Bread

Banned

Today I remembered the Mysterious Stranger perk, where (if you're not familiar) a trenchcoat and fedora-adorned figure randomly shows up when using VATS. Now imagine in VR, you hear an unexpected shot ring out and see this dude standing there taking shots at your target.

If Fallout 4 VR is a bust I'll probably .sell my vive, that's the only shit on the horizon that interests me. Really hope Bethesda nails it.

Haint

No worries, got it with Prime, and I'm not in a huge rush. Should be here next week, judging by the order page.

Uh, yikes. That's not good. Before everyone starts freaking out, though, if it truly is as widespread as it sounds I'd imagine that HTC would send out replacement foam pads.

Alternatively, if it's truly a widespread issue I'd imagine that Amazon, etc. won't push too hard if you try to return it.

I'll wait and see before freaking out. It's disappointing if true, as $100 isn't really that cheap, and sweat and oil on the foam should've come up in testing. I mean, honestly, foam should be covered in something anyway, but it seems like HTC is hesitant to put any kind of official cover on these things.

EDIT: HTC seems to be "aware" of the problem -- whatever that means.

Does this have a special return policy I'm unaware of? I've seen several people make comments like this in threads pertaining to the issue. Amazon takes everything back no questions asked if you tag the return as defective.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's as VR-y as any flight cockpit game. The tactical view looks really cool in VR as well.

Way way way waaaay better implemention than Thumper...
Obrigado! Bought.

That was one of the first perks I got on my max Luck build, haha.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Ooo lemme know how it goes

Yup, it's a perfectly fine little dogfighting space sim. No strafe, which is good news for those who prefer that atmospheric flight style vs the 6DOF Descent style you get with Everspace. There's still a drift button for some fancier maneuvering.

It has relatively low-poly graphics which are really easy on the GPU, but they still did a good enough job with the lighting.

Games like this just make me crave more FOV, lol. Ready for that next gen hardware any time.

Ordered my deluxe audio strap from the HTC website on the 6th with 2 day shipping. Got the confirmation email, but still waiting for the shipped email.

Does anyone has any experience ordering from them? what is their timing?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I hope that was just it... let's see what he says in the video.
Well that's exactly what it says in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2U6tdeDs34

It seems like there isn't any "foam degradation" as it were, but rather the "finish" they apply to the foam left a residue that comes off. Stripping it off intentionally leaves no further residue but this seemingly changes the texture of the padding to the touch. Not sure how much that matters when it's on your head.

jwc13ac

So got the deluxe audio strap! Only played about 30 mins as I had to run to work. I played Thumper, Space Pirate trainer, and Google earth.

I'd say it's a 50% increase in comfort. Not life changing, but much needed. Still a bit heavy, and the PSVR still holds the crown as most comfortable to me. but I do love it.

It's much smoother to put on now. I will say I was putting it on wrong first, it's best to line up the face, and pull down the back. I was trying to do the opposite and getting frustrated.

I like the look of it, very clean.

Biggest improvement is the headphones, it's so convenient. I didn't think this would help as much as it does. It's funny I was reaching for my headphone cables out of habit, and it was a good feeling to just flip them down.

I was pleasantly surprised at the audio quality. Some reports had me worried they would lack any punch but they are great. Thumper hit just as hard as i like. I was using Sony ear buds and these are way better.

Can't wait to get back on it!

SimplexPL

Ordered my deluxe audio strap from the HTC website on the 6th with 2 day shipping. Got the confirmation email, but still waiting for the shipped email.

Does anyone has any experience ordering from them? what is their timing?

I ordered to Poland on the 6th around 1 pm CEST. I got the strap today around 1 PM via UPS.

Samaritan

Dammit, completely missed out on the first wave of audio straps due to being out of town and the Vive store not notifying me when they went on sale. Any word on when a second wave might show up?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So got the deluxe audio strap! Only played about 30 mins as I had to run to work. I played Thumper, Space Pirate trainer, and Google earth.

I'd say it's a 50% increase in comfort. Not life changing, but much needed. Still a bit heavy, and the PSVR still holds the crown as most comfortable to me. but I do love it.

It's much smoother to put on now. I will say I was putting it on wrong first, it's best to line up the face, and pull down the back. I was trying to do the opposite and getting frustrated.

I like the look of it, very clean.

Biggest improvement is the headphones, it's so convenient. I didn't think this would help as much as it does. It's funny I was reaching for my headphone cables out of habit, and it was a good feeling to just flip them down.

I was pleasantly surprised at the audio quality. Some reports had me worried they would lack any punch but they are great. Thumper hit just as hard as i like. I was using Sony ear buds and these are way better.

Can't wait to get back on it!
Sweet, thanks for the thoughts! The old way the headphones dangled was pretty darn awkward.

I'm curious, for really intensive active stuff I just leave the headphones off altogether and use my PC speakers. Is it quick to remove and reattach the included ones or kind of a pain?

If Fallout 4 VR is a bust I'll probably .sell my vive, that's the only shit on the horizon that interests me. Really hope Bethesda nails it.

My thoughts exactly.

There´s also the Skyrim VR in the works and the ................... suposedly.......... version 2 in the works (we already have better tracking, wireless and high level optics and oled panels for it).

So how much will it cost to get one of my Vive Controllers repaired? The lack of rumble in it has been really disappointing since it stopped working. I'm ok waiting awhile for it to get shipped, fixed then sent back. I honestly haven't been playing much lately anyway (Though once everything is in order it'll be good to go back in with some new stuff)

My thoughts exactly.

There´s also the Skyrim VR in the works and the ................... suposedly.......... version 2 in the works (we already have better tracking, wireless and high level optics and oled panels for it).
If you guys are serious, you probably shouldn't have jumped in to VR as early adopters yet. I have too much to play if anything right now not to mention the stuff I'm looking forward to.

Yeah I can't imagine deciding whether to keep my Vive or not on Fallout fucking 4 lol. I'm hoping to be surprised, but it's still Fallout 4.

I did end up getting the Vive magnetic stock thing.

by27BwF.jpg

It works great, but is more prone to occlusion than my previous 3D-printed stock.

A weird issue I just noticed today. Kind of hard to describe, but there seems to be a sort of "cloud" that mirrors what I'm looking at and follows my head tracking. It's especially noticeable when looking at a dark background. For example, in Steam VR Home when looking at the giant screen I can see a second cloudier version of the Steam VR logo (mirrored) that follows my head tracking. Same thing when I boot up Google Earth when it's initially loading on the black screen, I can see a blue and white cloud that looks like a cloudy mirrored Google Earth logo.

Steam VR updated today and that's the only change from yesterday to today. Anyone else noticing this?

Edit: I guess this is just lens glare and I've never noticed before? Weird. I guess something about that VR Home screen made it jump out for me.

Just got the deluxe audio strap, will post impressions soon, but... as I was cleaning up the packaging from the table I was using, I noticed a small screw left behind. I don't think it was there before.

Did I... miss anything...?

FWIW I've messed around with my audio strap intentionally trying to get black stuff to come off and nothing happens.

Just got the deluxe audio strap, will post impressions soon, but... as I was cleaning up the packaging from the table I was using, I noticed a small screw left behind. I don't think it was there before.

Did I... miss anything...?

It comes with two replacement screws for the headphones inside the plastic bag with the velcro strip.

Dex815

FWIW I've messed around with my audio strap intentionally trying to get black stuff to come off and nothing happens.

It comes with two replacement screws for the headphones inside the plastic bag with the velcro strip.

Have you tried wetting up your finger and rubbing a bit? It doesn't require pressure, just some humidity.

I received mine today (bought from the official web site, in Germany). And I had the defective foam. No peeling when rubbing it in dry, but wetting up the finger a bit was enough to get my finger totally black. I gave it a wash and the thin layer came off easily. Doesn't seem to drop any more dust. I haven't tried the DAS itself yet as I have to let it dry up until tomorrow.

My guess is that it doesn't affect at all to the foam, seems to be a very thin layer, probably some spray applied over the foam, maybe the antimicrobial that people is mentioning.

Cool stuff roundup:
-----------------------------

Espire 1

Devlog #2 showing off their locomotion implementation. I like how far they're integrating it naturally with the concept of the game (though I'll be turning all that off).

Dead Effect 2

In early access now. This was a GearVR then PC game now getting the full VR treatment. Impressions for both prior versions are pretty positive. The prior versions had 20+ hour single player/co-op campaign, so I guess you can expect that out of this one. Co-op isn't in yet but it's coming in about a month.

Airtone

On Steam now. Japanese VR rhythm game. Original soundtrack. Gameplay looks unique to what we've had so far in the VR rhythm game genre. Seems kind of pricey and I'm not sure how many tracks there are, but I'll take the plunge and report back.

Darknet

On Steam now. This was a GearVR, then Oculus store exclusive and got pretty good reviews (it was one of the only games Jeff Gerstmann was in to at Oculus's launch). Basically a cyberpunk hacking/puzzle game.

Thanks!

Okay, so having used the strap for a bit:

1) Initial impression: OMG this is such an F'ing improvement, everything feels so much better now, how did I live wihout this
2) 10-15 minutes later: Okay, this is definitely way better than the old strap, but wearing the Vive is still uncomfortable.

Basically, it moves the uncomfortable pressure points away from my face and the sides of my forehead, and puts it on the back of my head instead. There is definitely less pressure overall, but it's still there. I kind of wish they distributed more weight over the top of my head as opposed to the back--I hadn't realized that part was still going to be elastic.

I would compare the experience to the first time I received glasses inserts and was able to wear the Vive without my glasses. Which--for those that don't wear glasses or otherwise haven't experienced this--was a really big deal.

One big caveat: I'm not sure that I was ever wearing the original head strap properly. Everyone always said to extend the top strap so that the band in back went around the lower part of my head, but I was never able to do this in a way that felt comfortable.

Oh, and I still find the headset annoying to take on and off. I still can't rest the headset on my forehead without my hair smudging the lenses.

jwc13ac

Sweet, thanks for the thoughts! The old way the headphones dangled was pretty darn awkward.

I'm curious, for really intensive active stuff I just leave the headphones off altogether and use my PC speakers. Is it quick to remove and reattach the included ones or kind of a pain?

No problem! Will continue to update.

So I think you have to detach the Audio strap to take the headphones off, so yeah kind of a pain. They actually screw in. I haven't done it, but seems not a 2 second thing.

You could flip them up maybe. You probably wouldn't notice they are there unless you were really jumping around and they flipped back down.

I suspect you will end up wanting to use the built in headphones even for very active games. They rest gently on your ears and don't impede comfort or movement or temperature in any way.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Man playing games to music is so good in VR. SPT and Superhot endless mode with a good playlist is such a great experience. It's amazing. VR is amazing.

^dang! How have I not heard of darknet before!!

One big caveat: I'm not sure that I was ever wearing the original head strap properly. Everyone always said to extend the top strap so that the band in back went around the lower part of my head, but I was never able to do this in a way that felt comfortable.

To be honest, I was using it wrong for months too, I never extended the velcro-strap on top of the HMD far enough. I always thought if I do so then it would sit too low on my face, sliding down. I just recently tried it out the way I think it's supposed to be and I feel better than ever. Not even straight looking down gives me much trouble anymore (it's still not perfect in that regard but much better than before).
Also the cushion in front of the eyes when you are wearing the headset are more important than I thought. I bought very slim replacements to get an even wider field of view, that didn't work out as planned. It feels like my eyebrows are touching the inner side of the HMD and I see a warp effect in the middle (crosseying), also way less comfortable. So I put the regular foam back on.

Can confirm the foam on my das is coming off. It was fine at first, but then I played after showering, and my hair was still ever so slightly damped. It really can't get wet at all.

I was mentally prepared for this, so I'm not too upset. If I have to buy some aftermarket foam, I will.

Wardancer

Neo Member
Dead Effect 2

In early access now. This was a GearVR then PC game now getting the full VR treatment. Impressions for both prior versions are pretty positive. The prior versions had 20+ hour single player/co-op campaign, so I guess you can expect that out of this one. Co-op isn't in yet but it's coming in about a month.

Dead effect seems pretty legit, like its a pretty mediocre PC/Mobile game but they have put in a lot of effort to the VR controls with support for various locomotion methods (teleport, sliding with either headset or controller orientation etc) and many different control setups with simple or realistic reloads, automatic/manual pickups and lots of interaction with screens and displays in the game. So if you can ignore the cheesy as hell writing and the less than stellar design of certain characters it seems like a pretty legit VR game.

I'm thinking the lens glare I started noticing yesterday actually might have something to do with the audio strap. I initially assumed it was a software issue because of the big update, but I'm guessing the headset is positioned a bit differently over my eyes with the new strap. Gonna play around with it some more and see if I can get it looking like it did with the old strap. I could always notice a slight glare before, but it was never like this.

Have you tried wetting up your finger and rubbing a bit? It doesn't require pressure, just some humidity.

I received mine today (bought from the official web site, in Germany). And I had the defective foam. No peeling when rubbing it in dry, but wetting up the finger a bit was enough to get my finger totally black. I gave it a wash and the thin layer came off easily. Doesn't seem to drop any more dust. I haven't tried the DAS itself yet as I have to let it dry up until tomorrow.

My guess is that it doesn't affect at all to the foam, seems to be a very thin layer, probably some spray applied over the foam, maybe the antimicrobial that people is mentioning.

Okay yeah I got it to come off. I don't know how this would be noticeable under normal play since I had to really get some friction going to make the dust or whatever come off. Hoping HTC sends out some replacements or even better, VRCovers makes a custom solution.

jotun?

My Vive has been collecting dust for about 6 months, but I want to get back into it

This is my VR library:
Hbx1124.png

plus SuperHOT through ReVive

Is there anything amazing that I've missed in the past 6+ months? Have there been big updates for any of the games I already have?

Wardancer

Neo Member
My Vive has been collecting dust for about 6 months, but I want to get back into it

This is my VR library:
Hbx1124.png

Is there anything amazing that I've missed in the past 6+ months? Have there been big updates for any of the games I already have?

If you want multiplayer shooters try Onward or Pavlov (Vitual Warfighter recently got some significant updates too but they still havn't really made a push for more players yet).

Get the full version of Vertigo? Its a pretty fun singleplayer shooter.

Everspace is released with VR if you want some roguelike spaceshooting. Looks pretty damn good in VR too.

Arizona Sunshine has had significant updates that added locomotion and a few horde maps (the latest horde map is multi stage and has you work your way through a map rather than just stand still)

Raw Data has had a lot of updates over the last 6 months, more classes, maps and rebalancing.

Rec Room is practically a brand new thing by now heh. But beware the children.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

This is my VR library:
http://i.imgur.com/Hbx1124.png[img]

Is there anything amazing that I've missed in the past 6+ months? Have there been big updates for any of the games I already have?[/QUOTE]

pick up gorn and compound for free
[url]https://raithza.itch.io/gorn[/url]
[url]https://notdead.itch.io/compound[/url]

This is my VR library:
Hbx1124.png

Cosmic Trip recently had it's full release. Has a full strategy mode now and everything. Rec Room had a bunch of updates and has two awesome quests that are like PvE dungeon runs now.

Other games off the top of my head:

Rick and Morty: Virtual Rickality
To the Top
Soundboxing
Deus Vult
Form
Onward
Pavlov VR
Vertigo
Sairento VR
Serious Sam (First & Second Encounters are both in VR now)
Smashbox Arena
Blasters of the Universe
Racket: NX
Airtone
Dead Effect 2

Probably forgetting a bunch.

Tain

Anybody have thoughts on ambient occlusion in VR?

I always figured it was a bad idea, and was under impression that this was the consensus, but while playing the PC port of Battlezone it struck me that the effect is a huge boon to visual styles with lots of solid-colored surfaces and less texture detail. Borderline vital if you aren't going for a cartoonish look, as so much geometric detail blends together without it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No problem! Will continue to update.

So I think you have to detach the Audio strap to take the headphones off, so yeah kind of a pain. They actually screw in. I haven't done it, but seems not a 2 second thing.

You could flip them up maybe. You probably wouldn't notice they are there unless you were really jumping around and they flipped back down.

I suspect you will end up wanting to use the built in headphones even for very active games. They rest gently on your ears and don't impede comfort or movement or temperature in any way.
Interesting. Thanks for the impressions. Detaching the audio strap every time I want to take them on or off is definitely not viable. I wonder how up they'd stay flipped up.

Are they made of a material that's easily wipable/not a concern about getting sweaty?
The usage for which I don't wear headphones isn't just standard play of very active games; I do a full cardio circuit with weighted clothing and sweat like crazy on purpose, hehe.

low-G

Anybody have thoughts on ambient occlusion in VR?

I always figured it was a bad idea, and was under impression that this was the consensus, but while playing the PC port of Battlezone it struck me that the effect is a huge boon to visual styles with lots of solid-colored surfaces and less texture detail. Borderline vital if you aren't going for a cartoonish look, as so much geometric detail blends together without it.

Why would it be a bad idea? Just a performance hit, and a great graphical effect until we have incredible global illumination.

Zalusithix

Yeah, I can't see why AO would be bad outside of the performance hit. It'd be one of the first things I'd drop, but nothing inherently bad.

jack....

This is my VR library:
Hbx1124.png

Get Star Trek ASAP

This is my VR library:
Hbx1124.png

Robo Recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom