• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakefoo

Can confirm the foam on my das is coming off. It was fine at first, but then I played after showering, and my hair was still ever so slightly damped. It really can't get wet at all.

I was mentally prepared for this, so I'm not too upset. If I have to buy some aftermarket foam, I will.
Pull the foam off (it's attached by velcro) and wash off the top layer like Tribal Instincts did.

Based on the closeup shots of him rubbing the clean vs deteriorating side, it doesn't look like the texture or thickness are affected by removing the top layer.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Pull the foam off (it's attached by velcro) and wash off the top layer like Tribal Instincts did.

Based on the closeup shots of him rubbing the clean vs deteriorating side, it doesn't look like the texture or thickness are affected by removing the top layer.
He confirms that the texture is affected- i.e. it feels different to the touch. Don't think the thickness is remotely affected as it's just a light layer of residue.

So Airtone is legit. Feels a lot different than the other VR rhythm games like Audioshield and Soundboxing (which I both love). It has 25 original tracks, all authored with 3 different difficulties each and it gets hard as hell past basic difficulty. If you're in to Japanese style rhythm games like Cytus or Voez, you'll probably be in to this.

So Airtone is legit. Feels a lot different than the other VR rhythm games like Audioshield and Soundboxing (which I both love). It has 25 original tracks, all authored with 3 different difficulties each and it gets hard as hell past basic difficulty. If you're in to Japanese style rhythm games like Cytus or Voez, you'll probably be in to this.

Not sure if you've played it, but how does it compare to Project Diva? I'm really, really into that series.

Is it possible to briefly describe the gameplay in a way that makes sense? (Legitimately a question, I know a lot of games where I would answer no)

Not sure if you've played it, but how does it compare to Project Diva? I'm really, really into that series.

Is it possible to briefly describe the gameplay in a way that makes sense? (Legitimately a question, I know a lot of games where I would answer no)

Haven't played Project Diva so I can't compare gameplay wise, but if you're in to that soundtrack, you'll likely be in to Airtone's.

Here's a gameplay run of one of the songs. Basically the yellow orbs are hit like drums, the green squares you have to hold your arm in that direction and hit the trigger when they pass, and the pink lines you have to follow along with one or both arms.

Zalusithix

Got my deluxe audio strap in today, and unfortunately I'll have to add to tally for the foam coating coming off on contact if any moisture is present. Wonder how HTC is going to handle this. "Wash your foam before use" isn't exactly going to fly from a PR perspective, but unlike the Vive itself, this is being sold from a multitude of retailers right off the bat so they won't automatically know who to send replacement foam to (assuming the issue is affecting 100% of straps).

I can't really comment on the strap itself yet as the foam is currently drying, but it certainly gives the headset a more substantial feeling.

cakefoo

I recently started wearing the wrist straps because they're annoying. I never thought I'd be a thrower, but during a speedrun, this Uzi catch tricked me multiple times haha.

yrh2Wjd.gif

Valve's knuckles controllers just moved up a few spots on my wishlist.

He confirms that the texture is affected- i.e. it feels different to the touch. Don't think the thickness is remotely affected as it's just a light layer of residue.
Oh, I didn't watch that far into the video. Hmm. The default strap could be described as grippy too. I get mine Monday. I'll let it wear out on its own so I can compare the comfort before and after.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Got my deluxe audio strap. It's definitely an improvement in the comfort. The installation instructions could have used some work though. "Installation step 1: go to the support site for the instructions on how to remove the original strap", lol. It's not like it's some weird edge case, it's something every customer will have to do.
Part 1
Part 2

I imagine there are a few people out there who wound up accidentally breaking some pieces during the replacement. Mine took a bit of persuading and those tabs on the port cover look like they wouldn't stand up to much.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Got my deluxe audio strap. It's definitely an improvement in the comfort. The installation instructions could have used some work though. "Installation step 1: go to the support site for the instructions on how to remove the original strap", lol. It's not like it's some weird edge case, it's something every customer will have to do.
Part 1
Part 2

I imagine there are a few people out there who wound up accidentally breaking some pieces during the replacement. Mine took a bit of persuading and those tabs on the port cover look like they wouldn't stand up to much.
Thanks for this. Coming here before going straight to the support site was the right call XD

I agree that it's funny, since this is just the first step literally anyone buying this product will need to undertake. The original strap comes pre-installed sooo...

In reading the instructions, indeed it is the case that removing/reattaching the built-in earphones actually requires a screwdriver. Not a big deal to replace them permanently with better-quality headphones if you want to, but not at all viable to do quickly for my purposes.

The good news is that they're made of a pleather/vinyl type thing that should be fine with sweat, and flipping them out of the way may work as well. I'm going to set it up now and do some testing, will return with impressions.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just ran my full cardio circuit and I'm very happy with my purchase. It's perfect for someone who uses the system like I do.

First off, the bad news is that the foam residue dealy is a real issue. When I'm know I'm going to sweat, I play with a sweatband cap on. After my session, it had soaked through to the foam (not unexpected, I sweat like crazy by design during this and it will happen no matter what). Slick with sweat, the black residue came off of the foam easily by rubbing without any real pressure or effort. Having experienced it myself and seen varying reports based on a variety of experiences, my instincts are telling me this is not a production issue affecting a percentage of units but an across-the-board flaw with the coating they applied to make the piece feel a bit more velvety, though I don't understand why. I'll wash it off tomorrow I suppose. The whole piece is quite easy to remove and simply velcro attached so HTC really ought to ship out corrected pads, and I'll buy a VRCovers plush leather one in a heartbeat when they exist.

This problem aside I have no complaints. The whole thing feels considerably more "premium," secure and less awkward to manipulate. There is an increase in comfort, although full disclosure- I never felt that the Vive was particularly uncomfortable or heavy on my face in the first place. It is much easier to get a good fit and be sure you "did it right," which will be nice when passing the thing around when I have people over as it was always sort of an open question if my guests had it on correctly.

Not having the headphones dangle or fall off my head and the unit for the 500th time felt great, and their design is pretty clever. Quality honestly sounded great to me, though I'm no audiophile. The fact that they don't cup your ears will be detrimental for some, but they can, of course, be detached and replaced with the cans of your choice, and I love this style for its potential use while more active. The hinge on each basically has an up/down and in/out position and they're quite comfy. For the cardio circuit, I don't like the feeling of 'phones on my sweaty ears at all, so I just put them "up and in" and they didn't budge even during super intense stuff.

I really like how you now always know exactly where the cable is "coming from" behind your head, where on the old strap it for me would get tugged around and be leaning to the left or right at any given use.

It's a premium price, and thus the foam issue is disappointing to be sure, and should be rectified in some capacity by HTC. But it does improve the product overall.

--

Also... quite bizarrely... the installation process seems to have fixed a longstanding jerking/stuttering issue I have been experiencing since my very first time using the Vive. I tried to reproduce it in a number of cases and couldn't. I suppose unplugging and reseating all cords from the back of the HMD may have had an impact. I was previously instructed to make sure they were pushed all the way in, but not to remove them as they weren't meant to come out... so much for that. I suppose it could still have been a fluke but man that was an immersive hour of VR.

Zalusithix

I really like how you now always know exactly where the cable is "coming from" behind your head, where on the old strap it for me would get tugged around and be leaning to the left or right at any given use.

For me it's actually the opposite. With the old strap and my belt clip I could be assured the cable would always travel more or less down the middle of my back since the cable ran straight as an arrow. The new strap, on the other hand, has the cable wrapping around the side before being sort-of-kind-of routed down by the little loop they give you to optionally attach at the back. With the ribbon version of the 3-in-1 cable this creates a situation where the cable wants to veer to the opposite side before succumbing to gravity. I'll have to play with the positioning of the clip and slack levels some to see if I can alleviate that.

Other thoughts on the deluxe audio strap before I hit the sack:
I'd rate the comfort marginally better than the old strap, It evens out and transfers pressure better, but that's about it. I was never one to have major comfort issues with the old strap though, so YMMV. That said, what it does do, is anchor itself to your head much better. The old strap (at least in the way I wore it) would be much more prone to slipping up a bit in active use. This would in turn shift the pressure distribution on the face and potentially even cause the headset to fall a bit. The deluxe audio strap by comparison cradles the head better and sticks where it was set. So while the ideal comfort levels aren't far apart between the two, the deluxe audio strap maintains the position for that comfort much better. It also allows you to look straight down without the headset kind of pulling away/shifting.

For the audio part of the strap, the quality is passable. The built in headphones certainly aren't audiophile level gear, but considering the cost of the strap and everything else it has to do, I couldn't expect much better. They're closed headphones, but don't offer much of anything in terms of noise isolation. Having gotten used to being cut off from the real world while in VR, it's kind of strange to now hear my computer in the background when things are quiet. Whether that's a good or bad thing will depend on the user and their needs / desires. As far as comfort goes, for being supra-aural headphones - something I usually hate, they're surprisingly not bad. There's a fair amount of padding and the pressure on the ear isn't overbearing. Convenience wise I can't say they're much better than the old strap with earbuds/IEMs properly routed, but that only applies for a single person and those not using full sized headphones; if you're sharing / demoing the headset or using regular headphones, they'd be a massive improvement.

SimplexPL

The installation instructions could have used some work though. "Installation step 1: go to the support site for the instructions on how to remove the original strap", lol. It's not like it's some weird edge case, it's something every customer will have to do.

My DAS box was inside a cardboard box which was inside a bigger cardboard box. So when I opened the first box, I saw this leaflet:
ASFSJAO.jpg

Durante

Airtone is excellent.

Great production quality, technically solid, extremely aesthetically pleasing, and looking at the achievements versus what I've completed in a bit more than 2 hours of gameplay it's quite packed with content too. The english VA is a bit off at times but it's charming.

If you have even the least interest in rythm games it's well worth a purchase.

Zalusithix

Similar packaging here, but no leaflet. Guess they must be forgetting to pack it sometimes.

Yep, no such paper packaged with mine either. I already knew how to detach the strap so it wasn't a big deal for me, but the fact that they omitted that part in the instructions is rather amusing. It's not like they didn't realize users would need that information as there's the text blurb, so the lack of that crucial first step is intentional. If they wanted to save the cost of a few pages, they could have just skipped the booklet entirely and packed a card saying to go online for the instructions.

The foam issue is a "How did this pass QC?" sort of thing given how widespread it seems to be, but the botched instructions are straight "WTF were they thinking?" territory. It's a minor thing, but no matter how you look at it, it just makes zero sense. Then again, the instructions are pretty bad even without that error. They tell you to put the headset on and then use the dial to adjust it. Given the headset comes completely retracted, the chance that most adults would be able get it on their head in that state is pretty slim. They should have had a preceding step saying to expand the band. Then put it on and retract it to comfort levels. Oh, and we've been forced to completely ignore the manual's "Don't scrub, wring, or bleach." and "Don't dip or soak in water." parts of the foam care. Scrubbing under water is pretty much required to mitigate the defective foam coating lol.

Hm, noticing some infrequent blackouts in several different games after the latest Steam VR update... they sometimes last 2-3 seconds which is annoying, anyone else experiencing the same or am I alone?

Hm, noticing some infrequent blackouts in several different games after the latest Steam VR update... they sometimes last 2-3 seconds which is annoying, anyone else experiencing the same or am I alone?

I did but it was during Rock Band VR so I was kind of chalking it up to a Revive issue.

Durante

I have no issues at all in games, but a somewhat similar issue in SteamVR home:
I drop one frame recurringly (every 30 seconds or so) in the default SteamVR environment.

It only happens in that environment and not in any other, which is curious.
One idea I have is that it could be related to one of the interactive panels, particularly the friends panel. If that is updating synchronously for some reason, and doing so inefficiently, then my rather silly number of Steam friends could lead to the intermittent drop.
Anyone experience anything similar?

Oh by the way, did I mention that Airtone is excellent? Because it is.

Zalusithix

Airtone is excellent.

Great production quality, technically solid, extremely aesthetically pleasing, and looking at the achievements versus what I've completed in a bit more than 2 hours of gameplay it's quite packed with content too. The english VA is a bit off at times but it's charming.

If you have even the least interest in rythm games it's well worth a purchase.

Oh by the way, did I mention that Airtone is excellent? Because it is.

Bought and wholeheartedly agree. It's an extremely polished game, and is one of the few VR games that feels reasonably "finished". Some things could use improvement like letting the user know what the criteria is for getting a new song or advancing to a new "phase" (can just sit at 100%), but from a pure gameplay and content level, it's hard to fault. The graphics are clean, the menu "screens" are well done, the gameplay is tight, there's a couple dozen songs and various difficulties to work through (which can be brutal), and the hub room is a nice touch. Heck, it even has options to flip the VA back to Japanese and enable subtitles. (Personally I think the JP VA fits the aesthetics of the game better.)

Hopefully it becomes successful enough to warrant more songs/stages as DLC.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dang will have to check out airtone when I get upstairs!
Man really seeing how hard it is to carve out VR time during the week. I don't even play especially long sessions, but it's just harder to sneak in than a game of counterstrike or dark souls.

zeioIIDX

I haven't bought Airtone yet because I'm worried about it not being on sync. Every VR rhythm game I've played so far has had offset issues when it comes to hitting the notes to the beat.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't bought Airtone yet because I'm worried about it not being on sync. Every VR rhythm game I've played so far has had offset issues when it comes to hitting the notes to the beat.
Interesting! Have yet to play one. Audioshield is more or less universally well regarded right?

Haven't played airtone yet, but I think the difference is these songs are bult in, not auto generated or user created.

This is exactly why I really don't like ugc rhythm games. It's a genre where I really want everything to be professionally created. Obviously, some user created maps are great and perfectly in sync, but I don't want to have to sort through the iffy ones.

Interesting! Have yet to play one. Audioshield is more or less universally well regarded right?
Audioshield has TONS of sync issues. The notes are generated by an algorithm, and the algorithm screws up.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
VR has been a big deal for me. I feel the same way I did reading gizmodo in 03/04 about phones. It just feels good to be into and think about. Been ready for VR forever, but only got it 3 months ago. Haven't played a traditional game other than my bedtime DS since then. Feel like I need a bigger monitor. I just really love VR.

Zalusithix

If you're referring to the notes actually being offset from the beat of the music, most VR rhythm games aren't really traditional. Soundboxing for instance (haven't played it myself) is all user generated beat maps AFAIK and the quality is going to vary because of that. Audioshield meanwhile is algorithmic and will be even more hit and miss. Airtone by comparison is developed around set music (by various artists) with 3 levels of beatmaps per song (x25 songs). From what I've played, the notes have been well synced with the songs, though I can't really evaluate the harder stages right now as level 7+ stages tends to wreck me.

Now if you're not talking about pure beat map sync, but instead about having a certain amount of fudge factor in regards to acceptance of user actions (the time difference between when a user action takes place and when it should have taken place), that's unavoidable. Since we're using our whole arms instead of just fingers (though Airtone uses buttons in tandem with arm movements/gestures) there needs to be more leeway there.

Audioshield being algorithmic and seeded means that not only does the algorithm work better for some songs than others, but even the same song will change on every play. Generally speaking "good" songs will continue to be decent regardless of the seed, but there's no way you can ever memorize the layout for a song. At its best Audioshield puts you into a zen like state where you practically subconsciously respond to the incoming orbs with the music in the background. Your actions and the music are rarely perfectly in sync, but they can complement each other. On the flip side, the algorithm can completely muck up with a song that you feed it and leave you with motions that feel ridiculously detached from the music. So yeah, it's a game that uses motion and music, but it's not a typical rhythm game at all. Real rhythm games use specific music with the beat maps hand tuned with them.

So the camera on my Vive hasn't been working since last weekend. I was kind of ignoring it during the week, but I spent several hours troubleshooting this afternoon, and had no success whatsoever. The camera is recognized by my computer but only ever shows blackness.

Then I remembered I had a guest trying the Vive last weekend, and I apparentally didn't tighten the strap enough, because the headset fell off while he was playing Holopoint. It seemed to still work fine, and the Vive has a reputation for being sturdy (as is appropriate for a device that people are expected to wear while running around blindfolded), but... it's all I can think of at this point.

Better the camera than the screen, I guess, but I'm pretty upset. It makes stuff a lot easier...

Zalusithix

So the camera on my Vive hasn't worked since last weekend. I tried all the normal troubleshooting steps. It's recognized by my computer but only ever shows blackness.

Then I remembered I had a guest trying the Vive last weekend, and I apparentally didn't tighten the strap enough, because the headset fell off while he was playing Holopoint. It seemed to still work fine, and the Vive has a reputation for being sturdy (as befits a device that people are expected to wear while running around blindfolded), but... it's all I can think of at this point.

Better the camera than the screen, I guess, but I'm pretty upset. It makes stuff a lot easier...

I know Holopoint has you whipping your head around, but how loose would that strap have had to have been to just come off? I'd expect anything loose enough to allow that to happen would have had the headset shifting uncomfortably with any movement. I suppose if it was their first time using the Vive, they might not have known any better and assumed that was natural, but who starts a VR newbie with Holopoint? =P

That said, it sucks that the camera is seemingly dead. The Vive is pretty sturdy given all the videos I've seen where it survives people face planting into walls and whatnot, and cameras like the one on the Vive are damn hard to kill in general, but nothing is invincible. Even a diamond will break if you hit it at just the right angle. Just exceedingly bad luck all around to have that happen. I don't even want to know what HTC would want to repair it. I know I'd just live without it myself. It's convenient at times, but nothing I couldn't live without.

It's a pity you didn't have the deluxe audio strap back then though, as I highly doubt it would have even been possible with that strap on. Even when relatively loose it is more solid on the head than the old one.

I know Holopoint has you whipping your head around, but how loose would that strap have had to have been to just come off? I'd expect anything loose enough to allow that to happen would have had the headset shifting uncomfortably with any movement. I suppose if it was their first time using the Vive, they might not have known any better and assumed that was natural, but who starts a VR newbie with Holopoint? =P

Wasn't my decision! My sister really likes Holopoint, and she wanted her boyfriend to play it.

I really don't know how the headset came off. I'm the one who tightened it around his head, and it seemed sturdy... but then, I was also relying on him to tell me how it felt.
And with all due respect to my sister, the guy didn't strike me as particularly bright...

I think I'm going to try my luck with a warranty repair, I should have a couple weeks left before it expires. I won't tell them what happened. I'm usually honest about these things, but, y'know... I just feel like this is something that happened in the course of normal use.

pfkas

I've been building a ghetto vive with my PSVR using trinuspsvr. Managed to pick up a lighthouse/wand set for £100 from ebay which I am pairing to a couple of steam controller dongles. Works fine, but the wands are not in the same positional space as the headset. I have a couple of pseye cameras and a psmove to do positional tracking but it's very glitchy.

Does anyone know any details on when lighthouse-compatible headsets are coming out (will they be announced at E3), or is there a way of picking up just the vive headset on its on?

Durante

I've played a lot of VR rythm games and Airtone is easily the most polished when it comes to the basic interactions and beats (and everything else really). As others explained, everything in it is professionally authored. The implementation is also very solid at a technical level -- whenever I missed or hit something I feel like it was my own fault / achievement, I could never in good conscience blame the game ;)

Bought and wholeheartedly agree. It's an extremely polished game, and is one of the few VR games that feels reasonably "finished". Some things could use improvement like letting the user know what the criteria is for getting a new song or advancing to a new "phase" (can just sit at 100%), but from a pure gameplay and content level, it's hard to fault. The graphics are clean, the menu "screens" are well done, the gameplay is tight, there's a couple dozen songs and various difficulties to work through (which can be brutal), and the hub room is a nice touch. Heck, it even has options to flip the VA back to Japanese and enable subtitles. (Personally I think the JP VA fits the aesthetics of the game better.)

Hopefully it becomes successful enough to warrant more songs/stages as DLC.
Yeah, that's one of the few things that could be improved in terms of UI / user feedback.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

I've had this exact issue with Thumper, though most people I know haven't mentioned anything. :/

Today I've experienced no blackouts, I've restarted my computer before starting Steam VR, I have a feeling this somehow makes it run more smoothly lol

Soundboxing is somehow broken at the moment, or at least the upload/save function doesn't work for me, I always get an error. The Torus Syndicate crashed on me, after playing for a while, could be the game, I don't know.

SomTervo

Every day I think of another fantastic thing that could be in Fallout 4 VR.

Today I remembered the Mysterious Stranger perk, where (if you're not familiar) a trenchcoat and fedora-adorned figure randomly shows up when using VATS. Now imagine in VR, you hear an unexpected shot ring out and see this dude standing there taking shots at your target.

Man, I really hope they go all-in with F4VR.

I fully believe that exec's quote about it being 'revolutionary' or whatever in VR. Even just current Fallout 4 with hand-tracking and teleportation would be incredible.

It's going to be fucking amazing, I'm goddamn ready to lay down another £40 for it.

Zalusithix

Well I figured out the phase progression for Airtone - for the most part. You need to interact with the items in the room that have the musical aurora at the base of them. If you're at 100% on the phase, do that then play a song and come back - it'll then be at the next phase. I had enough points to practically cap out stage 5 after I went through the interaction sequences, and the songs were dumping like 3 toys/items at a time. Ideally you'd do the interaction sequences more organically as they popped up, but alas.

That said, I still have no idea what triggers a new song, and breaking through the 100% stage 5 barrier is something I haven't figured out yet. Might require all the songs or just be a timed thing.

Edit: Seems like phase 5 was a timed thing Still no idea about the song unlocks. I've unlocked them all now, but I'll be damned if I could tell you what the criteria was to unlock any of them. Seemed more random than anything.

Except for the price tag. Fuuuuuuuuuck that

I think I'll make an exception with this game as I didn't even buy the standard base game in anticipation of the VR version.
The less than favorable reception of the game around here has me worried though. Then again, I always bought Bethesda games for the exploration in the first place and don't really care about anything story related.... what could go wrong? (I hope there are at least some half decend quests in the game lol)

Durante

I think I'll make an exception with this game as I didn't even buy the standard base game in anticipation of the VR version.
The less than favorable reception of the game around here has me worried though. Then again, I always bought Bethesda games for the exploration in the first place and don't really care about anything story related.... what could go wrong? (I hope there are at least some half decend quests in the game lol)
I also didn't buy the base game (even before thinking about VR I was simply out-Bethesda'd).
But I have no problem paying €60 for this level of content in VR if the VR version is decent.

Wardancer

Neo Member
I thought both doom and fallout 4 looked pretty lackluster in VR, both used simple 1 handed aiming and seemed to have very limited interactions with the weapons so just point and shoot.

Kinda suprising that they didn't use a scope or any ironsights etc for the fallout video. But VR stuff are never good for pressers so hopefully the hands on will have more info but really didnt look like anything special.

I was getting my hopes up after the Dead Effect 2 VR implementation. Like Dead Effect 2 is a B tier game but their VR implementation is pretty damn solid and feels like its native VR with all the touch screen inputs and options for manual loot/reloading. But seems like Fallout 4 VR wont even match that game in its VR updates :/

I think I blocked the memory from my mind but I think someone once stepped on a cable and the headset came off, whipped at full length and slammed into the ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom