• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several people/reviewers have mentioned imperfect tracking, which is a little worrying.

Anyone here with a vive experience intermittent tracking problems?

If so, how close to the "ideal" lighthouse setup are you?

I have had a couple of very minor tracking issues. My base stations are right at (or slightly past) their recommended limit (16 feet apart), though.

The issues have been rare, and seemed to only be when the controllers are close to the headset.

There is very minimal use for controllers in that game anyway. Will test it out and report back today.

Cool. I'd rather not use a gamepad if I don't have to.

Sky Chief

I haven't tried that, but I will! The haptic feedback really makes it for sure.

My new favorite thing in VR is walking into stuff. It's crazy how good the presence is on the Vive, at first I was always walking around or avoiding things physically or trying to lean on stuff. Walking into things fucks with your brain so much. So trippy!!!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Several people/reviewers have mentioned imperfect tracking, which is a little worrying.

Anyone here with a vive experience intermittent tracking problems?

If so, how close to the "ideal" lighthouse setup are you?

I have one lighthouse on a shelf about 6.5 feet up slightly angled down.

The other is opposite sitting on my couch about 3.5 feet off the ground not angled at all pointing at the lighthouse on the shelf.

They are about 8 feet away from each other.

The tracking is pretty much flawless, and this is a far from ideal lighthouse setup.

EVIL

I have had a couple of very minor tracking issues. My base stations are right at (or slightly past) their recommended limit (16 feet apart), though.

The issues have been rare, and seemed to only be when the controllers are close to the headset.
32wF6IX.png

might help

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I don't even have a measuring tape at my apartment. I need to buy one so I can figure out exactly how much space I have to work with and how far apart the lighthouses will be.

Cimarron

I sold my $350 DK2 for $530 just a week or two ago.

Still waiting on the Vive to come sweep me off my feet.

Really? I guess I am setting up an Ebay account when I get home. If any Gaffer wants to buy this contact me via PM. I would rather sell it to one of you guys instead of a random.

I played Windlands for a half hour and nearly fell over multiple times. Maybe that's more of a sitting game.

The controls for moving on foot leave a lot to be desired, and god forbid you touch the left touch pad (you'll get motion sick for sure). But the swinging feels SO GOOD.

I'm optimistic they could come up with better control configurations for the Vive's controllers soon.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I played Windlands for a half hour and nearly fell over multiple times. Maybe that's more of a sitting game.

The controls for moving on foot leave a lot to be desired, and god forbid you touch the left touch pad (you'll get motion sick for sure). But the swinging feels SO GOOD.

I'm optimistic they could come up with better control configurations for the Vive's controllers soon.

Yeah, using the circle pad to translate is the worst. Luckily, almost no games use this method... it's almost all teleport and walk around.

I don't even have a measuring tape at my apartment. I need to buy one so I can figure out exactly how much space I have to work with and how far apart the lighthouses will be.

Not entirely sure how accurate this is but there's a free app called Smart Measure that uses your phone's camera to approximate distance by aiming at the end point from where you're positioned. I used it for my space and it seems to be a decent ballpark, from what I can judge by eye at least. Tape measures are dirt cheap anyhow but still might give you a good idea of what you have to work with.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Not entirely sure how accurate this is but there's a free app called Smart Measure that uses your phone's camera to approximate distance by aiming at the end point from where you're positioned. I used it for my space and it seems to be a decent ballpark, from what I can judge by eye at least. Tape measures are dirt cheap anyhow but still might give you a good idea of what you have to work with.
I'll try it out when I get home, thanks.

The hell FedEx?

I'm in Virginia. So either it's not coming today or they will be throwing it from an airplane.

4:11 pm Departed FedEx location MEMPHIS, TN

Scheduled delivery: Thu 4/07/2016 by 8:00 pm

Durante

The way I understand it, resetting your position (in the e.g. Rift DK/CV way) should never be necessary with the Vive, since it uses absolute rather than relative positioning.

Maybe you need to recalibrate your room layout?

Just played some Audio Shield. The videos I watched of people playing it didn't really do it justice. And it's a little bit of a workout after sitting on my ass all day. Highly worth the $18.

The hell FedEx?

I'm in Virginia. So either it's not coming today or they will be throwing it from an airplane.

4:11 pm Departed FedEx location MEMPHIS, TN

Scheduled delivery: Thu 4/07/2016 by 8:00 pm

"Wait Like a Bitch" by HTC

Found the flight

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FDX594/history/20160407/2103Z/KMEM/KRIC

Arrives at 6:35pm. Maybe they leave directly from airport? All I do know is that I am getting obsessive to the point where I actually looked up the flight and should probably step away for awhile.

Sky Chief

What are your general favorites so far everyone?

The Lab - Xortex, Longbow, and Slingshot in particar
Audioshield
Space Pirate Trainer
Job Simulator
Budget Cuts
Hover Junkers
The Gallery

All of the above games are absolutely amazing

Still haven't tried but look awesome
Fantastic Contraption
Vanishing Realms
Windlands

I know in starting to sound like a broken record but this is by far the best launch lineup I've ever experienced

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Audioshield
Space Pirate Trainer
Job Simulator
Budget Cuts
Hover Junkers
The Gallery

Fantastic Contraption
Vanishing Realms
Windlands

I know in starting to sound like a broken record but this is by far the best launch lineup I've ever experienced

I've played all of those as well.

The Gallery is the best I've played so far.

Followed by Vanishing Realms, then The Lab.

The lab, fantastic contraption, windlands and budget cuts. And I've only played those 4 so far. For 10 hours! Yet I've barely scratched the surface of any of those games, except budget cuts

Audioshield
Space Pirate Trainer
Job Simulator
Budget Cuts
Hover Junkers
The Gallery

Fantastic Contraption
Vanishing Realms
Windlands

Awesome thanks!

LOL that camera is impressive.

The way I understand it, resetting your position (in the e.g. Rift DK/CV way) should never be necessary with the Vive, since it uses absolute rather than relative positioning.

Maybe you need to recalibrate your room layout?

If that's true, that's HUGE to me.

I have a Rift CV1 and it's annoying to need to re-center it every now and then. Though, I wonder how that would work in Eve Valkyrie. I don't believe they take player height into account, so when I've let different people try it, each one has a different camera height which messes with the visuals since the camera is always supposed to be attached to the body (which is neat because the entire body has IK so you can lean and the in-game body leans as well). Every time I let someone new try the game, I always need to re-center it / re-orient so it gets in the correct position with the body. Though, I suppose that does highlight an issue with how to properly do full-body immersion in games. Future iterations might need to take into account player height on player meshes or something (but then how would that factor into jump height, collisions, etc without feeling too weird)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

I have a Rift CV1 and it's annoying to need to re-center it every now and then. Though, I wonder how that would work in Eve Valkyrie. I don't believe they take player height into account, so when I've let different people try it, each one has a different camera height which messes with the visuals since the camera is always supposed to be attached to the body (which is neat because the entire body has IK so you can lean and the in-game body leans as well). Every time I let someone new try the game, I always need to re-center it / re-orient so it gets in the correct position with the body. Though, I suppose that does highlight an issue with how to properly do full-body immersion in games. Future iterations might need to take into account player height on player meshes or something (but then how would that factor into jump height, collisions, etc without feeling too weird)

For seated experiences, there is a reset HMD command for the Vive. It's a hotkey (not sure what it is) as well as an option you can select by holding down the Steam button on either motion controller.

b0bbyJ03

Viveks86 I saw a post u made a while back about not liking 1st person games with a gamepad in VR and then noticed that u proceeded to say that u had been playing at 60 fps the whole time due to having RTSS running. Did having the games running at 90 fps afterward affect your opinion at all or did u still hate seated gamepad experiences either way? Tbh one of the things that excited me most for VR was a YouTube video I saw of a guy playing a modded half life 2 with the oculus. I should mention that even though he was seated he was using the hydra motion controls.

Viveks86 I saw a post u made a while back about not liking 1st person games with a gamepad in VR and then noticed that u proceeded to say that u had been playing at 60 fps the whole time due to having RTSS running. Did having the games running at 90 fps afterward affect your opinion at all or did u still hate seated gamepad experiences either way? Tbh one of the things that excited me most for VR was a YouTube video I saw of a guy playing a modded half life 2 with the oculus. I should mention that even though he was seated he was using the hydra motion controls.

Not them obviously but to chime in - as someone mostly tired of seated VR I think HL2 is still a very cool thing to experience on an hmd. The npc gaze focus in particular gives you such an eerie feeling, also the City Scanners coming right up to you to snap a pic tripped me the hell out first time I played it in vr. The scene in the apartments as the Combine roll up outside was incredibly immersive as well. Obviously room scale will give you more but when you have excellent atmosphere and the kind of facial animation Valve has goin on it really elevates the immersion for the medium, even when dealing with standard gamepad. Really hope we get something from the HL universe for Vive sooner rather than later.

Durante

I was talking more about standing/room scale tracked games. For cockpit stuff in particular it makes sense (though not in-universe sense ;)) to have it "auto-scale" to your height, and as per FlyinJ it seems to exist.

sammex

Anyone seen this?

How we made a room-scale VR game work on your desk ... or floor

Fanntastic Contraption is a game played in a room-scale environment with hand controllers. It's the one thing we've shown consistently throughout development and in all of our trailers and teasers. It's always been true.

But it won't always be true. In fact, visible in the game's settings menu right now are some experimental alternates we've been quietly working on, and you can try right now if you're feeling adventurous. Not everyone has an entire room for VR, and we want to make sure you can play our game.

There will soon be four different scales in which to play the game, depending on what's comfortable for you and how much space you have in which to play. This is, partially, how we're bringing a game that has been so tied to the Vive to the Oculus Rift. It hasn't been easy, but the results have been worth it. We want you to have fun, no matter how you play.

It's great to see them make this more accessible.

viveks86

As long as the action you are performing isn't a complete abstraction of what's in-game, seated experiences could be just as good

Haven't played a seated game since I went to 90. Will be playing ethan carter today and possibly go back to Mind and try them both standing and seated.

Going from 60 to 90 made a HUGE difference in room scale though. The motion controls were smoother, movement within the game felt just like in real life. Even the IQ felt improved. I was completely awestruck by robot repair when I played it the second time at 90. The attention to detail is out of this world!

Durante

My Vive arrived at a distribution center that's 313 km away from me. The DHL page still says I should get it tomorrow - no, actually make that today as of half an hour ago - but I'm getting increasingly concerned about that.

My Vive arrived at a distribution center that's 313 km away from me. The DHL page still says I should get it tomorrow - no, actually make that today as of half an hour ago - but I'm getting increasingly concerned about that.

So does htc not allow you to pick these up at distro centers? Got mine off an ebay seller and it's set to come Monday but assuming those restrictions wouldn't apply to me, but maybe it's a fedex thing?

I wouldn't worry, that's not really that far. Plenty of things I order come from that distance and further overnight.

Krejlooc

Banned
My dad used to play video games back in the atari 2600 days, and he would play Sega Master System games with me, but as games got more than 2 buttons he sort of fell off and found them too difficult to try. Put a modern Xbox controller in his hand and he is completely lost - analog sticks in general make no sense to him. It was in this context that, about a year ago, I invited him over to my house and let him try Elite Dangerous with my HOTAS rig. He put on the headset and played a bit, and when he took off the headset he thought he had been playing for like 10 minutes when he'd really played for 45.

Well, today I invited him over to try the HTC Vive. The controls were immediately understandable to him, even the concept of teleporting. He played many games, including hover junkers and his favorite, Budget Cuts. He was absolutely enthralled by what he played. When it was all said and done, he thought he had played for maybe 30 or so minutes, when he actually wound up playing 4 and a half hours non-stop. This is the longest video game session my dad has ever done, period. He was shocked he played for that long.

VR is fucking magic. This saturday, I'm bringing a bunch of family over for a BBQ and letting them try this. I can't wait to see my mom and niece and nephews try this.

Durante

So does htc not allow you to pick these up at distro centers? Got mine off an ebay seller and it's set to come Monday but assuming those restrictions wouldn't apply to me, but maybe it's a fedex thing?
I wouldn't worry, that's not really that far. Plenty of things I order come from that distance and further overnight.
313km are a lot farther in Europe than in those stretches of nothingness you call "the country" in the US ;)
But yeah, I probably shouldn't worry too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom