• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

ducksauce

Valve needs to expand xortex 26xx into a full game, they are onto something great. It could be the next geometry wars. I cant believe the version they have doesnt even have leaderboards, its perfect for them.

My hope is that they released The Lab as a sort of testing ground for new ideas in VR. The best ones become full games, some are tweaked and new ideas are eventually added.

Maybe wishful thinking on my part but it would make sense that each experience is an experiment in The Lab.

Zalusithix

You need some perspective on HTC's recent track record, particular customer satisfaction surrounding their past couple generation of phones.

Have you been burned by their last couple generations of phones? If yes, why did you preorder the Vive? If not, those phone issues have jack to do with your reaction. Not to mention, shipping and billing has little to do with the poor reception of their past few phones. Those things are generally handled by third parties for phones.

Regardless of their past history, what benefit would come of HTC going under? There'd be less competition in the cellphone market. Less competition in the VR market. Everybody that owns an HTC product would be SOL for warranty related issues. All because a rocky launch of a new product? Please.

Okay, so now HTC have admitted their fuckup in terms of the out of order shipping, hopefully they get around to sending out early UK CC orders tomorrow. I wont' get it to the weekend (although they should pay for saturday delivery as an apology..) but Monday is.. fine.. I suppose.

If I didn't know orders as late as +90 minutes were getting theirs before me (+2 minutes), I'd be totally fine with it arriving on Monday or later, it's just the feeling of injustice that you can't shake.

Thing is they now have to reauthorise the failed CC payments that have happened again, my bank is probably going to tell them to piss off, if they even bother at all, I was told they have have to do this to lots of people as more cards have expired. Quite honestly had enough and I'm giving up. What happens will happen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is what I was planning on doing for my setup. The red area is basically where my couch is (if I slide it up some while using the Vive). The blue area would be my roomscale. Those blue markers are where I want to put my lighthouses. That is actually about 8' in the air, on top of my kitchen cabinets. I figure if I put them there, I'd be okay with leaving them up all the time (I also have power up there too).

I know an optimal setup would be in opposite corners, but would this still work well? Would the one in the bottom left just be too far away to even communicate with the Link box?

You'd lose tracking as soon as you faced the sofa. The one on the right is ok, but the one on the left needs to be up near the top left on the plan - above and left of your planned play space.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thing is they now have to reauthorise the failed CC payments that have happened again, my bank is probably going to tell them to piss off, if they even bother at all, I was told they have have to do this to lots of people as more cards have expired. Quite honestly had enough and I'm giving up. What happens will happen.

They seriously need to address this. How many can there be? Just contact everyone via email and if necessary process them manually with express shipping.

I've not seen anyone that had a cancellation email get a shipping notice, and plenty of those were in the 0-5 minutes area (well of course they were, they actually had payment attempted..)

I have no blinds at all over the windows in the room I'm using and tracking works just fine, haven't had any issues at all yet. I did need to take down a mirror though.

Great, good to hear!

Also for the pole style camera/sensor mounts I've seen linked here before, how do you secure those exactly? Can't drill into the walls at my apt complex, so hoping those work well for my setup.

Yoritomo

Yeah, my tracking issues were usually because the base stations were too far apart. At 20 ft apart there's glitching. Getting close to 16 is important otherwise things like floor calibration won't pick up consistent data from the controllers in the center of the room. (From what I can tell floor calibration requires the controllers to be visible to both base stations) If the base stations are too far apart you get glitching around room center and during floor calibration if your controllers are in the center of the room the button won't even appear to calibrate the floor.

If you're thinking that the vive can handle it and the base stations are 18 feet apart... I'd go ahead and pull them back in to 16 feet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Great, good to hear!

Also for the pole style camera/sensor mounts I've seen linked here before, how do you secure those exactly? Can't drill into the walls at my apt complex, so hoping those work well for my setup.

they expand on ratchets - like an expanding curtain rail. They're designed to hold up plasterboard when you're replacing ceilings etc.

TFlat

It should be to you within 24 hours to the same email address that you received your shipping info from HTC. In gmail it went to a separate folder under promotions.

Your Vive PreOrder Bundle Code

is the topic in the email.

I got my shipping email today (2 days after it was originally delivered here...)
So hopefully I should get something tomorrow!

Shipping confirmation get! Now I just need to find a way to keep busy until monday.

In case you were still looking, maybe try these cheaper ones?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000LFVE68/

Thanks, I will look into these. I have sent a message to my landlord as well, asking if I can drill the walls. He hasn't got back to me yet.

Because GB make everything look like cynical fratboy junk when they demo it. Move your body Jeff! Swing those arms! Don't just waggle your wrists dude!

That's weird. I watched their stream and immediately ordered one.

they expand on ratchets - like an expanding curtain rail. They're designed to hold up plasterboard when you're replacing ceilings etc.

I see, so an attachment shouldn't be needed for the sensor mount? Know I saw some vice clamps linked here too, wasn't sure if something like that needed attaching. Also anyone have the amazon link to the pole handy?

edit: Nm saw Compsiox's post in op.

Sheytan

Anyone gonna get the Virtuix Omni thing, to be able to walk around limitless?

I was tempted to buy one, but you don't walk naturally in a Virtuix Omni it's more like take a step then drag your feet to register the movement and sidestepping must be awkward as hell

pj

Banned
Yeah, my tracking issues were usually because the base stations were too far apart. At 20 ft apart there's glitching. Getting close to 16 is important otherwise things like floor calibration won't pick up consistent data from the controllers in the center of the room. (From what I can tell floor calibration requires the controllers to be visible to both base stations) If the base stations are too far apart you get glitching around room center and during floor calibration if your controllers are in the center of the room the button won't even appear to calibrate the floor.

If you're thinking that the vive can handle it and the base stations are 18 feet apart... I'd go ahead and pull them back in to 16 feet.

For longer distances you should use the 50 ft sync cable.

I believe the lasers themselves are capable of tracking far beyond the recommended maximum, but the IR sync pulse that the lighthouses use to stay in line with each other is not bright enough to reach much further than the 5m.

They seriously need to address this. How many can there be? Just contact everyone via email and if necessary process them manually with express shipping.

I've not seen anyone that had a cancellation email get a shipping notice, and plenty of those were in the 0-5 minutes area (well of course they were, they actually had payment attempted..)

It's just unbelievable tbh, she told me that it's gonna take 2 days to rectify, which it won't be! At least Oculus know how to take payments! Funny that Daniel OB has stopped responding to Twitter for nearly 2 days now, lead from the top n all that! Way to go.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
If you use controllers to shield the headset, then you're basically creating the worst case for the current tracking systems.

That depends which way you face, and from what I remember of boxing you tend to both duck/tilt your head and raise the controllers.

This is something I really wouldn't expect to work well.

The vive has sensors on the sides and top. You can cover your face and it will still track.

Yup, picture me with my dukes up here and laser beams coming in from overhead front and behind, hitting the top and side sensors. The base station lasers only need to hit a few of them on each object to successfully track.

Tracking should be fine for boxing games. One problem I can see is how to handle hit reaction. Losing some control of your "ghost" as the character recovers?

pj

Banned
It's just unbelievable tbh, she told me that it's gonna take 2 days to rectify, which it won't be! At least Oculus know how to take payments! Funny that Daniel OB has stopped responding to Twitter for nearly 2 days now, lead from the top n all that! Way to go.

Pretty sure oculus and htc are using the same company for payment processing. If oculus had cost the same as vive they would likely be having the same issues.

I guess the takeaway is that if you steal someone's credit card you can buy $600 worth of stuff without triggering the fraud protection, and at $800 they will be on to you.

I was thinking of some sort of backpack, with an arm about a 1 feet protruding from the back that you could run the wire through. Then it would at least be held a foot away from your body.

I'm no inventor though, it would end up looking like something Homer Simpson built.

Pretty sure oculus and htc are using the same company for payment processing. If oculus had cost the same as vive they would likely be having the same issues.

I guess the takeaway is that if you steal someone's credit card you can buy $600 worth of stuff without triggering the fraud protection, and at $800 they will be on to you.

But that's the thing, my payment and many others had the transaction approved by the bank, DR just didn't finish the transaction and actually take the money, and now it's obvious why, because they didn't know when they can ship the Vive's out.

artsi

Facebook processes their own payments, I'd think they're using that but who knows.

You'd lose tracking as soon as you faced the sofa. The one on the right is ok, but the one on the left needs to be up near the top left on the plan - above and left of your planned play space.

Okay, thanks. I think what I might do is put that bottom left on in the top left at the ceiling. It's actually a tray ceiling that also has an outlet (although I'd need to run an extension cord, it'd be hidden). I think that may work, but it'll be 10' high. I'm guessing at that height I'd need to also make sure it's angled downward? Or will the distance it travels make up for that? Since it's not like my room scale will be directly below that anyway.

Digby

Neo Member
If it helps, a request to cancel my order that i placed on April 2nd was promptly fulfilled with great speed and efficiency!

They're not doing everything slow.

I was thinking of some sort of backpack, with an arm about a 1 feet protruding from the back that you could run the wire through. Then it would at least be held a foot away from your body.

I'm no inventor though, it would end up looking like something Homer Simpson built.

I always hate the straps on backpacks myself. You could always go with something like a tactical vest,

SPTACVML_r800.jpg

I used to wear one of these when I was doing construction to hold all my various tools and such. You have surprising freedom of movement and really nice weight distribution compared to a backpack.

Coincidently my search for that vest led me to find these double holsters,

A04K_1_20150101132462381.jpg

With these you would just take some strong wire, like clothes hanger or heavy gauge fence wire, and form and attach it to follow the seams on the shoulder pads, then extend out the back as far as the rigidity of the wire will allow. The bonus here is that you would now have a place to store your controllers like a badass. lol

Zalusithix

Mine don't seem to turn off. It says there's no firmware update, so I don't know what's going on.

Hmm, looks like I might be setting up my source power to be switched... Just in case. The last thing I need is more spinning/vibrating devices around me. I've been lessening the number of those things with SSDs, large low speed computer fans, and hybrid passive/active PSU & GPU.

viveks86

How do the Lighthouses know to turn on automatically? Are they connected via wifi/bluetooth/IR from headset?

Edit nevermind, viveks86 already answered.

Nothing connects to the headset, actually. Everything connects to the breakout box. There's a Bluetooth chipset in there.

The controllers track even with the headset switched off

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For longer distances you should use the 50 ft sync cable.

I believe the lasers themselves are capable of tracking far beyond the recommended maximum, but the IR sync pulse that the lighthouses use to stay in line with each other is not bright enough to reach much further than the 5m.

they have bluetooth, you'd think they'd be able to use that for syncing. Maybe they'll update that in later revisions.

moniker

From the text review:

I’ve experienced frequent tracking glitches that have my hands disappear or appear to float away from me uncontrollably, or worse, having my viewpoint move independently from my head for a moment before the screen goes blank to prevent motion sickness. All of this happens while standing in clear unobstructed view of the two Lighthouse sensors. Moving the sensors around randomly sometimes makes it better, but then it becomes worse again before magically fixing itself for a few hours.

From the video:

From the set up doc (for Pre but I assume it's the same):

• Bases should be above head height (ideally over 2m or 6.5 feet), and angled down 30-45 degrees.
  • Make sure the base stations are stable and secure, as vibrations will affect tracking.

How hard can it be to follow simple instructions? Also, wouldn't you need to recalibrate after "moving the sensors [lighthouse] around randomly"?

I always hate the straps on backpacks myself. You could always go with something like a tactical vest,

SPTACVML_r800.jpg

I used to wear one of these when I was doing construction to hold all my various tools and such. You have surprising freedom of movement and really nice weight distribution compared to a backpack.

Coincidently my search for that vest led me to find these double holsters,

A04K_1_20150101132462381.jpg

With these you would just take some strong wire, like clothes hanger or heavy gauge fence wire, and form and attach it to follow the seams on the shoulder pads, then extend out the back as far as the rigidity of the wire will allow. The bonus here is that you would now have a place to store your controllers like a badass. lol

Imagine the neighbours reaction when they glimpse you through the window wearing one of those, holsters and the visor!

Nice idea though, could easily knock something up like that.

Melon Husk

From the text review:

From the video:

How hard can it be to follow simple instructions? Also, wouldn't you need to recalibrate after "moving the sensors [lighthouse] around randomly"?

Oh god the lighthouse is on a rolling table.

OK watching from the review they put it on a slightly taller table (or is it a speaker?) about 1.50m high. So virtually no cons? That's exceptional for a HTC product.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Okay, thanks. I think what I might do is put that bottom left on in the top left at the ceiling. It's actually a tray ceiling that also has an outlet (although I'd need to run an extension cord, it'd be hidden). I think that may work, but it'll be 10' high. I'm guessing at that height I'd need to also make sure it's angled downward? Or will the distance it travels make up for that? Since it's not like my room scale will be directly below that anyway.

it has a 120 degree field of view so go from there. The 30 degree tilt down is probably to allow for tracking immediately below the sensor. If you don't need that, you can do less tilt.

Cartman86

Banned
From the text review:

From the video:

Jesus I'm surprised they gave it a good review at all.

x3sphere

From the text review:

Yeah, his setup is not good although I've had the same issues at times, and I have my lighthouses about 8 ft high and 14ft apart. I haven't been able to figure out what it is yet, I think it might be my windows or reflection from my TV. I've heard sunlight can cause issues but there is none coming in. Does anyone know if reflective surfaces can cause tracking issues?

The tracking can work fine for hours, but every now and then it messes up in a similar way to that reviewer described.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom