• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
it has a 120 degree field of view so go from there. The 30 degree tilt down is probably to allow for tracking immediately below the sensor. If you don't need that, you can do less tilt.

True. I can't wait (the unknown amount of time) until my preorder from a couple of days ago ships!!! So looking forward to playing around with everything.

Zalusithix

Yeah, his setup is not good although I've had the same issues at times, and I have my lighthouses about 8 ft high and 14ft apart. I haven't been able to figure out what it is yet, I think it might be my windows or reflection from my TV. I've heard sunlight can cause issues but there is none coming in. Does anyone know if reflective surfaces can cause tracking issues?

The tracking can work fine for hours, but every now and then it messes up in a similar way to that reviewer described.

Reflections can indeed cause tracking issues. Supposedly they worked some logic in to counter many situations where it was an issue, but there's certainly room for error in those sorts of things. Minimizing reflections is always a goal when dealing with IR tracking. This goes for the Rift too. That camera will see the constellation of IR lights just as well off of a mirror as it would from the original source.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I have a Rift order threatening to ship any day now. There's plenty of fun to be had with that for me personally (im mostly into simulators and can wait on room-scale).
Ah. Yeah, to be honest, if my Rift order would ship first I'd just keep it most likely.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
From the text review:

From the video:

From the set up doc (for Pre but I assume it's the same):

How hard can it be to follow simple instructions? Also, wouldn't you need to recalibrate after "moving the sensors [lighthouse] around randomly"?

i suppose the 'above head height' is to help the lighthouses see each other. Hadn't considered that so much. Could be an issue for me so might need the horrible ugly sync cable..

taoofjord

My hope is that they released The Lab as a sort of testing ground for new ideas in VR. The best ones become full games, some are tweaked and new ideas are eventually added.

Maybe wishful thinking on my part but it would make sense that each experience is an experiment in The Lab.

Total guesswork here but I can't see why The Lab wouldn't get updated down the road. Valve will probably release more small scale VR games in the next couple years too. I don't see how there couldn't be enough developers in the company interested in making games for VR and as we know, if they have the interest then they'll do it.

Total guesswork here but I can't see why The Lab wouldn't get updated down the road. Valve will probably release more small scale VR games in the next couple years too. I don't see how there couldn't be enough developers in the company interested in making games for VR and as we know, if they have the interest then they'll do it.

I could actually see something like the The Lab getting an update without much or any news about what got added, just to add to the sense of discovery.

Great news for eyeglass wearers. Will wait for reviews though and buy prescription lenses + adapter all in one go from their store after the kickstarter.

Thats great news for those who need it indeed.

before launch --€2,319 pledged of €5,000 goal Funding Unsuccessful

This project's funding goal was not reached on February 3.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/451454651/vr-lens-lab-prescription-lenses-for-virtual-realit

after launch

$10,677 pledged of $5,687 goal 32 days to go

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/451454651/vr-lens-lab-glasses-for-virtual-reality-headsets

Zalusithix

Great news for eyeglass wearers. Will wait for reviews though and buy prescription lenses + adapter all in one go from their store after the kickstarter.

$30 once shipping is factored in for a couple of plastic clips (no lenses). No thanks. I'll wait for somebody to provide a 3D model of a lens clip to print myself for a few cents. Heck, I'll make my own model before I pay that much for a couple pieces of plastic. It's not like I can't afford it, but it's the principle of the matter.

"Has anyone tried Descent underground yet? If so does it have HOTAS support?"

It does support flight sticks, yes. As an aside, Descent isn't a game you use a HOTAS with, that is, you wouldn't use the throttle section. Use the joystick by itself + keyboard, you really need WASDZX or some similar alternative to play that game effectively.

$30 once shipping is factored in for a couple of plastic clips (no lenses). No thanks. I'll wait for somebody to provide a 3D model of a lens clip to print myself for a few cents. Heck, I'll make my own model before I pay that much for a couple pieces of plastic. It's not like I can't afford it, but it's the principle of the matter.

This is why I said that I would wait for the total package after the kickstarter. Not everyone has a 3D printer Bro. But if you want to print one for me and send it here for a couple bucks I won't argue.

bj00rn_

Banned

It's a really clever kickstarter. There's no more funds needed for just starting to print these and ship them. This kickstarter is basically a clip store. It's like printing money - And most customers will be happy. It's a win win.

But yeah we have multiple 3D printers at work too, so I think I'll wait and see if I can figure out a way to make a clip myself before backing..

It does support flight sticks, yes. As an aside, Descent isn't a game you use a HOTAS with, that is, you wouldn't use the throttle section. Use the joystick by itself + keyboard, you really need WASDZX or some similar alternative to play that game effectively.

What about double joysticks?

Durante

I think it gets more interesting if they actually start to offer the whole thing including prescription lenses post-kickstarter.

I use contact lenses for VR for now but for long sessions this would seem like a more comfortable solution.

Just got word my ebay bought unit has shipped. Coming Monday, kid before xmas right here :D

Hah, crazy stuff.

I actually almost bought this one listing for $1100 last night but someone else snagged it literally seconds before I could. It was super depressing, I can't even imagine how that person can sleep at night knowing what they did, but oh well.

eye+narrowing.gif

libertytoast

Neo Member
I think it gets more interesting if they actually start to offer the whole thing including prescription lenses post-kickstarter.

I use contact lenses for VR for now but for long sessions this would seem like a more comfortable solution.

They said on the Kickstarter that you can buy prescription lenses from them after launch, so I wouldn't be surprised if you can buy the frames w/ lenses from them.

Krejlooc

Banned

Say what now? Ive played every descent with a throttle, it controls your drift acceleration. Any hotas wotth a damn has several hats that map to wasd anyways.

Sky Chief

I know archery mini-games are already abundant for the Vive, but god damn is the archery demo in The Lab fun. I would love a full game built around that, like Lord of the Rings or something.

Yes, it's amazing and needs to be it's own game. Have you tried WALKING INTO THE TABLE before archery starts. So, so amazing!

EDIT: and the haptic feedback in this is insane!!!

I was pretty late placing a pre-order, so I'm in the nebulous "May" shipping period. So while I wait for my Vive to show up, I've been absorbing as much info from early adopters as I can.

Something I'm curious about, as I basically have two different rooms I can convert into a VR space, are floor surfaces. What are people preferring? Hard floors like wood or tile, or carpet? Carpet seems like it would be distracting since most games seem to take place on harder surfaces, but I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

Carpet, you will be crawling

I saw this one in the gb rift stream and it looked like hot garbage. Glad to hear it isn't so bad.

It is impossible to judge VR games without actually experiencing them. Even ones I've seen on YouTube many times are completely different in VR.

Additionally, I was laughed at in another thread when I said before release that the Vive had a better launch lineup than the Rift. Well, after two days I'm willing to say that not only is the Vive's launch lineup better than the Rift but it's EASILY the best I have ever experienced since I've been preordering gaming systems for the last ~10 years and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Man I keep going back to how much this floored me. I am honestly astonished. I consider myself a vr veteran, my expectations since dk1 have been grounded. The vive honestly floored me like the first time I tried vr all over again. It joins the moments like the first time I saw daytona usa, played mario 64, or got my dreamcast.

Tremendously satisfied with my purchase atm.

This is by far the best hardware launch I have ever seen. Best launch lineup I have ever experienced. There are at least half a dozen games that I have played that have just been mind blowing. The Lab has about three or four of the coolest gaming experiences that I have ever had and is without a doubt the Wii Sports of VR but it's so much more amazing. This is the next big technological step and traditional gaming (which hasn't interested me much lately tbh) does not even come close in comparison but this will revolutionize far more than just gaming.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just put an hour into Vanishing Relams.

Amazing experience. Definitely recommend it. Good polish, fun physical-based combat. You swing, block with a shield, and can duck and sidestep away from attacks. You get loot, upgrade equipment. Decent art design as well, basically WoW shading.

bj00rn_

Banned
Say what now? Ive played every descent with a throttle, it controls your drift acceleration. Any hotas wotth a damn has several hats that map to wasd anyways.

Yeah, that's what I assumed most people with a HOTAS use in Elite when in maneuvering mode. Fun in asteroid belts when using rocks for cover based combat.

Compsiox

Banned
Hah, crazy stuff.

I actually almost bought this one listing for $1100 last night but someone else snagged it literally seconds before I could. It was super depressing, I can't even imagine how that person can sleep at night knowing what they did, but oh well.

eye+narrowing.gif

Yeah when I found the Pre for 1200 I thought about it overnight, then bought it, and then posted about it. If you wanted it you really shouldn't have mentioned it here. You should have just snagged it.

Yeah when I found the Pre for 1200 I thought about it overnight, then bought it, and then posted about it. If you wanted it you really shouldn't have mentioned it here. You should have just snagged it.

Defs sound advice, but I posted about it after it had sold. Definitely would have just bought it first and then posted here

Hah, crazy stuff.

eye+narrowing.gif

Oh shit, seconds?! Damn, well I lost on the draw the other day on one listing. Last night I sprang into action like a coked up cat when I saw it on my phone. Well, I wager there'll be a broader selection (and prices) come next week...hope you get one!

taoofjord

Looks like if you want one you have to be willing to part with at least $1500 - $1600, and that will continue to rise until HTC gets its shit together. I'd rather wait for mine and put the extra money toward a GTX980ti but I might do it if I can find one for ~$1100.

Compsiox

Banned
Looks like if you want one you have to be willing to part with at least $1500 - $1600, and that will continue to rise until HTC gets its shit together. I'd rather wait for mine and put the extra money toward a GTX980ti but I might do it if I can find one for ~$1100.

Yeah I'm definitely not cancelling and instead flipping the consumer version when it arrives. I didn't realize the price rose so much.

murgo

Are glasses/contacts really needed? I mean, does stuff in the "distance" really look blurry if you're near sighted? I have -1.5dpt and would prefer to use VR without wearing my glasses.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Are glasses/contacts really needed? I mean, does stuff in the "distance" really look blurry if you're near sighted? I have -1.5dpt and would prefer to use VR without wearing my glasses.

I'm nearsighted and I'm totally fine in the Vive without glasses. The resolution isn't good enough for it to make a difference yet.

If you were farsighted I could see it being a problem.

Zalusithix

This is why I said that I would wait for the total package after the kickstarter. Not everyone has a 3D printer Bro. But if you want to print one for me and send it here for a couple bucks I won't argue.

I'm aware that not everybody has a 3D printer. Rather, very few people have one. I certainly don't begrudge anybody that does support the Kickstarter because of that.

It's just that I can't, in good conscious, support them when they're asking that much. If they were more reasonable, I would back them despite having a 3D printer. Would save me time and effort, and I believe that bringing something to the masses should be rewarded. It's just when you start asking for that much for a simple mass produced product, all that goes out the window.

As for the printing out some spares and sending them out, I wouldn't mind. That's assuming I don't end up going the contact route to gain a few extra degrees of FoV. The effort is in designing, not printing. (At least with relatively simple shapes which this by all means should be.) Electricity and filament costs are negligible.

I just hope they offer a discount for people buying both at that point.

On the contacts vs lenses, contacts certainly are the superior option for FoV, but l'm lazy when it comes to my vision. I'm still using glasses because I'm used to the convenience they provide. I'm not sure how long I'd be able to put in contacts solely for VR before it acted as a deterrent towards my desire to use it. We'll see. I plan on getting some contacts before my Vive arrives because I don't want to sacrifice the FoV that I would have to with glasses (and I don't want to chance scratching the Vive's lenses with my own glasses).

Edit:
I'm nearsighted and I'm totally fine in the Vive without glasses. The resolution isn't good enough for it to make a difference yet.

If you were farsighted I could see it being a problem.
It depends how nearsighted you are. If only slightly, it likely wont be a problem given the resolution limitations. If you're moderate to severe, you'll be just as blurred in VR as you are in real life. Farsighted people wouldn't need glasses at all.

"Say what now? Ive played every descent with a throttle, it controls your drift acceleration. Any hotas wotth a damn has several hats that map to wasd anyways."

You can play however you like, of course, but having your fingers spread across multiple keys for chording rather than using a single hat is certainly an improvement, especially since Descent: Underground is multiplayer only.

"Yeah, that's what I assumed most people with a HOTAS use in Elite when in maneuvering mode. Fun in asteroid belts when using rocks for cover based combat."

Elite and Descent are very different games. Using a hat switch or thumb stick on a throttle in a traditional space sim for controlling thrusters is great, I do that myself. Descent is not a traditional space sim and it has some movement tricks that are more comfortable on a keyboard.

Arulan

So, I tried playing Audioshield on my i7-920/GTX 670. I activated the dropped frames in-headset alert in the SteamVR settings too. I get some missed frames on loading screens and occasionally in the Audioshield menus, but once the song starts I don't get it anymore. I also wonder if I'm heavily relying on reprojection. Whatever the case, it's better than having a Vive on my desk until Pascal comes out...

That aside, Audioshield is FANTASTIC! I could see myself playing it for hours on end.

Oh, and the trackpads on these controllers are great. They actually indent inwards and click. If the Steam controller gets these in some future revision, it'll go from best controller with the exception of D-pad reliant games, to best controller period.

Guys, GUYS!!!

Ethan Carter supports the Vive now!!!!
Not the controllers though. I hope they're working on that, although I'm not familiar enough with the game to say if there are a lot of applications for touch in it.
Yes, it's amazing and needs to be it's own game. Have you tried WALKING INTO THE TABLE before archery starts. So, so amazing!

EDIT: and the haptic feedback in this is insane!!!

I haven't tried that, but I will! The haptic feedback really makes it for sure.

pj

Banned
Several people/reviewers have mentioned imperfect tracking, which is a little worrying.

Anyone here with a vive experience intermittent tracking problems?

If so, how close to the "ideal" lighthouse setup are you?

Sky Chief

So, I tried playing Audioshield on my i7-920/GTX 670. I activated the dropped frames in-headset alert in the SteamVR settings too. I get some missed frames on loading screens and occasionally in the Audioshield menus, but once the song starts I don't get it anymore. I also wonder if I'm heavily relying on reprojection. Whatever the case, it's better than having a Vive on my desk until Pascal comes out...

That aside, Audioshield is FANTASTIC! I could see myself playing it for hours on end.

Oh, and the trackpads on these controllers are great. They actually indent inwards and click. If the Steam controller gets these in some future revision, it'll go from best controller with the exception of D-pad reliant games, to best controller period.

The haptic feedback in Audioshield is awesome, feels like the orbs are splattering on your shields.

And it's crazy because I put the shields down on the floor for a minute and balanced the controllers so that the shield section was flat on the floor before realizing that the shield part didn't really exist!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom