• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

viveks86

The Gallery is a wonderful game. The use of analog triggers for controlling grip, the reorienation option for teleport, the backpack are all fantastic ideas that work really well in VR. I love the feeling of taking out a map with one hand and lighting it up with a flashlight on the other because I couldn't see anything in a dark tunnel. It really pulls you into its world.

Game is still a bit buggy though. The physics can get wonky at times. Some objects that are supposed to be interactive aren't. I fell through the floor a couple of times. The game crashed on me twice when I teleported.

The game itself is great. I love how it doesn't handhold as much as most games do these days. The constant feeling of presence really messes with your head. I had to stop playing because my headphones needed to recharge. Man, the real world looks so boring now. It took my a good 10 minutes to get used to how dull it is. Lol

Does anybody have a recommended setting for how far back the screen should be for your face for optimal FOV? I was using the shipping default by my face gets hot so I moved it back and I feel like it might have improved the FOV too.

viveks86

Oh and the sound design is spot on in the Gallery. I like how the tape recorder volume depends on the distance from your ear. And I could move it all around my head and it always sounded accurate

Two (possibly dumb) questions:

1) Any way to reduce jaggies in games? I don't understand how vr games control their visuals. Are games like job simulator 'one size fits all' or are they adjusting settings on the fly based on hardware/performance? Most games look kind of cruddy and I don't know if that's as good as it gets or if something is wrong on my end. I don't mind low poly or simple textures, but aliasing drives me nuts.

2) Is it possible to extend the cables or would it introduce latency? I'd like to set up ceiling-mounted rigging, but the umbilical doesn't seem long enough.

I mentioned Blarp earlier but hadn't tried it till now, it's not incredibly deep but the music is great and the psychedelic aesthetic is very well realized, you really get a feeling of being in a very strange place with its own set of rules and logic. The models for your tools (wands) are like melted acid hallucination whatsits, and they have this faint aura around them that looks as though its peering into another world beyond. Very trippy and fun for those looking for something new to try, plus it's less than 3 bucks, not too shabby.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Oh and the sound design is spot on in the Gallery. I like how the tape recorder volume depends on the distance from your ear. And I could move it all around my head and it always sounded accurate

Have you
put a seashell to your ear

XRA

Neo Member
Two (possibly dumb) questions:

1) Any way to reduce jaggies in games? I don't understand how vr games control their visuals. Are games like job simulator 'one size fits all' or are they adjusting hidden settings based on hardware/performance? Most games look kind of cruddy and I don't know if that's as good as it gets or if something is wrong on my end. I don't mind low poly or simple textures, but aliasing drives me nuts.

2) Is it possible to extend the cables or would it introduce latency? I'd like to set up ceiling-mounted rigging, but the umbilical doesn't seem long enough.

1: Antialiasing would be your best bet, many things I've tried have it enabled by default on at least 2x, but you might want to check if your GPU settings are overriding that. Without AA the jaggies are reeeaally obvious.

2: seen reports of people successfully extending from PC to LinkBox without lag, not sure about going from link box to HMD. If you did that you'd want to keep the HMD cable in place because it has angled connectors that fit right, something like male to female cables to extend those from link box end would work.
Either way you need to have the latest version of HDMI cables to support the high resolution, I tried some HDMI 1.0 cable and it doesn't work.

Melon Husk

How's everyone dealing with the headphone issue? Is bluetooth usable without low latency aptX or do you have RF sets? My home use headphones are wired and inconvenient to put on but the soundstage is so much wider than the bundled earbuds'.

What are your specs? I get drops in The Lab hub, Budget Cuts, and Irrational Exuberance, everything IN The Lab runs fine though.

Yet-to-be-overclocked GTX 970. Had to leave Vanishing Realms' first outdoor area quickly because it dropped frames consistently.

MSAA and downsampling help for jaggies if the game lets you configure its graphics settings.

XRA

Neo Member
Wait how do you do that?

the 2 grey rings, one on each side of the headset where the left and right strap attaches.. you need to pull them out about 1/8th of an inch. Then the face to lense adjustment is unlocked, you turn the rings to move the lense. On the Pre for me these rings are super tight and hard to get a grip on, don't pull on the actual strap, just the grey ring.

For optimal/largest FOV though, the lenses should be as close to your eyes as comfortable. The Vive should have the lenses in the closest position already.

I found its easier to just use the thicker face foam if needing room for glasses, found it more comfortable too. It does reduce FOV by a very small amount.

1: Antialiasing would be your best bet, many things I've tried have it enabled by default on at least 2x, but you might want to check if your GPU settings are overriding that. Without AA the jaggies are reeeaally obvious.

2: seen reports of people successfully extending from PC to LinkBox without lag, not sure about going from link box to HMD. If you did that you'd want to keep the HMD cable in place because it has angled connectors that fit right, something like male to female cables to extend those from link box end would work.
Either way you need to have the latest version of HDMI cables to support the high resolution, I tried some HDMI 1.0 cable and it doesn't work.

Thanks for this. Going to see if I can force aa in some of these games either via nvcp or smaa/sweetfx. Will try and find some longer cables and give it a go.

kinggroin

Banned
My kids birthday party, we had the Vive for all the guests. Damn. Everybody regressing in maturity.

Like we discovered Never never land or something.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I found someone near me on CL selling a new Vive for a good price. It is waaay cheaper than stuff that is going on ebay. He said he hasn't received it yet but will tell me ASAP when he does.

My only question to those of you that already own one: is there like a warranty card or something? My biggest concern is not being the original purchaser and not having access to be able to return/RMA something if it has problems. If it does have a fill in warranty card, does it look like something I'd be able to fill out without being the original purchaser?

Otherwise, it is May for me.

Compsiox

Banned
Just beat whats out of Vanishing Realms. It's a very good game with decent combat. I recommend it to anyone who wants a game with a decent amount of depth.

takoyaki

I was able to extend the cables between the LinkBox and the PC with a 4m USB3.0 extension cable, a 3m Display Port extension cable and a long extension cord for the power supply. No lag so far.

I tried longer extension cables as well, but the Vive didn't show an image anymore, pretty sure the HDMI/Display Port cable is the bottleneck when it comes to using longer cables. Also tried to extend the cable that connects the two lighthouse units, but that didn't work (I used a standard AUX extension cable I had laying around, so it might work with a better cable)

x3sphere

I found someone near me on CL selling a new Vive for a good price. It is waaay cheaper than stuff that is going on ebay. He said he hasn't received it yet but will tell me ASAP when he does.

My only question to those of you that already own one: is there like a warranty card or something? My biggest concern is not being the original purchaser and not having access to be able to return/RMA something if it has problems. If it does have a fill in warranty card, does it look like something I'd be able to fill out without being the original purchaser?

Otherwise, it is May for me.

No warranty card, but if the seller provides a receipt I'd imagine you'd be ok.

Argyle

Man, sounds like a pita to set up. I don't even know where I'll put my light houses. My walls are marble tiling and floor to ceiling glass. Maybe I'll get a stand but damn that's ugly af. I don't want it invading my area. Hmm.

I think you might have a bad time...I have an arcade cabinet and a plasma tv in my basement and that was enough to randomly cause the tracking to wig out (usually throwing my head across the world...bleh). It seemed to go away once I put a blanket on the cabinet and rolled the projector screen down over the TV.

Another annoyance, for a while my lighthouses wouldn't go to sleep, when they are active they just spam the room with IR light making the remote controls for everything in the room super unreliable.

That said, when it's set up correctly, it's pretty damn compelling...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think you might have a bad time...I have an arcade cabinet and a plasma tv in my basement and that was enough to randomly cause the tracking to wig out (usually throwing my head across the world...bleh). It seemed to go away once I put a blanket on the cabinet and rolled the projector screen down over the TV.

Another annoyance, for a while my lighthouses wouldn't go to sleep, when they are active they just spam the room with IR light making the remote controls for everything in the room get super unreliable.

Well, dammit. This is annoying. Is the room too reflective for the Vive? Got dammit. Do I need a green carpet room, too?

This is super annoying. First it was Pascal. Now it's my apartment.

Helznicht

To those that have theirs and run a 970. How do you feel performance is? Thinking of upgrading soon now? I read over on Reddit a couple people getting frame drops in "The Lab" running on non-oc'd 970's.

kinggroin

Banned
To those that have theirs and run a 970. How do you feel performance is? Thinking of upgrading soon now? I read over on Reddit a couple people getting frame drops in "The Lab" running on non-oc'd 970's.

Performance issues with some things like slingshot in the lab, or looking at the spacship in space pirate trainer.

Uh...that's it.

x3sphere

Yeah, anything reflective it seems can really mess up the signal. If my TV is not covered up, the controllers randomly jump in and out at times. Kind of annoying, maybe it can be improved with firmware updates, but not sure. I think it's worth dealing with tho :)

Durante

I haven't gotten a single framedrop warning (I have the developer option enabled) outside of loading screens on my OC'd 970.

Edit: actually, that's not completely correct, I think the framedrop warning only comes up if you drop more than one frame in some time span. Anyway, I've only ever seen it on loading screens and never noticed performance issues outside of those.

Another annoyance, for a while my lighthouses wouldn't go to sleep, when they are active they just spam the room with IR light making the remote controls for everything in the room get super unreliable.

Wait. Plasma TVs mess with the tracking? That's not good for me.

Scapegoat

Are other people having the issue with incorrect scale on Steam VR backgrounds? In all of the workshop backgrounds I've downloaded I've been positioned above the ground as if I was the size of a fly, rather than on the ground in full-scale.

Zalusithix

Anyway, I'm really tired and it's 4:25 AM but I promised Zalusithix I'd post exact measurements of the Vive mounting brackets, so I did (also includes images).
Thanks! With those measurements I was able to get the modeling done for the outer housing that acts as the interface between the magnetic rail and the brackets.
IFZPQch.jpg

Now I just need to print a pair out, and I'll be set for when the Vive gets here. Screw the brackets to the interface when it arrives (machine screw + lock nut), and presto - magnetically mounted lighthouses.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
What's the cheapest you guys have seen for resale?

If you check completed auctions on ebay the best deals were like around $1200. Check CL. I found a guy cheaper on there. Hopefully that pans out.

EDIT: It is worth mentioning that those deals on ebay dont pop up often and are gone fast. So I wouldn't expect finding those.

If you check completed auctions on ebay the best deals were like around $1200. Check CL. I found a guy cheaper on there. Hopefully that pans out.
Id probably make the mistake and pay the $1200. Fuck I've never wanted a material item as much as this. I'm just scared that when may rolls around there'll be more shipping issues possibly pushing me into june. In which i'm going to Mexico for my honeymoon. I need to get it before then. I can't spend my time down there wondering about it.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Id probably make the mistake and pay the $1200. Fuck I've never wanted a material item as much as this. I'm just scared that when may rolls around there'll be more shipping issues possibly pushing me into june. In which i'm going to Mexico for my honeymoon. I need to get it before then. I can't spend my time down there wondering about it.

I understand. As someone that rode the rift pre-order train wreck to the vive train wreck (not affected by it yet anyways, since im a may order) I'm willing to pay a little more.

Compsiox

Banned

I payed that much for my Pre and I definitely feel like I've gotten my money's worth. I guess it really depends how excited you are about the revolutionary tech and gaming in general. I've had some experiences that I'll never forget.

If you're very excited and want amazing experience...go for it man. It'll be hard to regret.

I payed that much for my Pre and I definitely feel like I've gotten my money's worth. I guess it really depends how excited you are about the revolutionary tech and gaming in general. I've had some experiences that I'll never forget.

If you're very excited and want amazing experience...go for it man. It'll be hard to regret.

Including spiraling into the depths of despair when you set everything up and thought the base stations were DOA. :p

I understand. As someone that rode the rift pre-order train wreck to the vive train wreck (not affected by it yet anyways, since im a may order) I'm willing to pay a little more.
Yep I had a first wave oculus preorder. Didn't know much about the vive when those preorders went up. Cancelled oculus about a month ago

I will. That's pretty much my absolute max. My wife's fine with it but any more than that and it cuts into our vacation money.

Man my frame drops are all over the place with inconsistency, turned on notify in headset and it went crazy in Audioshield, oddly enough after awhile my performance seemed to improve on things that ran like crap before like Irrational Exuberance, didn't get any popups for that. I did use the vr desktop feature to check out what fraps was showing in the on-desktop pane, yup very few things are a consistent 90 for me, even Longbow which feels the smoothest dipped now and again. I feel like there must be something on my system hogging memory though, otherwise no clue why IE would suddenly start running perfectly when it ran like crud initially.

Anyhow still having a blast with it, just finished the Budget Cuts demo for the first time, the muscle memory component to these controllers is so damn satisfying, your body learns everything fluidly so quickly due to how accurate the tracking is. Was garbage with the knives my first go through and by second round I felt like a goddamn pro assassin. Can't wait to play the full thing.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Man my frame drops are all over the place with inconsistency, turned on notify in headset and it went crazy in Audioshield, oddly enough after awhile my performance seemed to improve on things that ran like crap before like Irrational Exuberance, didn't get any popups for that. I did use the vr desktop feature to check out what fraps was showing in the on-desktop pane, yup very few things are a consistent 90 for me, even Longbow which feels the smoothest dipped now and again. I feel like there must be something on my system hogging memory though, otherwise no clue why IE would suddenly start running perfectly when it ran like crud initially.

Anyhow still having a blast with it, just finished the Budget Cuts demo for the first time, the muscle memory component to these controllers is so damn satisfying, your body learns everything fluidly so quickly due to how accurate the tracking is. Was garbage with the knives my first go through and by second round I felt like a goddamn pro assassin. Can't wait to play the full thing.

Whenever I start to get bad frame drops in stuff that usually doesn't get them, I restart my PC and they go away.

Very weird as well, because when I look at the processes, nothing is out of the ordinary.

Also, some games will hitch initially when starting in a new space and turning my head quickly. I'm assuming that is due to textures loading in.

So glad I upgraded my 970 to a 980 Ti after reading this and other posts.

Compsiox

Banned

What GPU?

The Vive has been advertised with GTX 980

nvidia-geforce-gtx-htc-vive-vr-ready-640px.png

So glad I upgraded my 970 to a 980 Ti after reading this and other posts.

Same best decision ever!

Whenever I start to get bad frame drops in stuff that usually doesn't get them, I restart my PC and they go away.

Very weird as well, because when I look at the processes, nothing is out of the ordinary.

Also, some games will hitch initially when starting in a new space and turning my head quickly. I'm assuming that is due to textures loading in.

Yeah I did a restart earlier but haven't been able to see that much improvement, my physical memory load is around 42 percent with just Steam and Chrome running, that sound normal? Curious if there may be an issue there. Leaning towards upgrade very soon if I can't find a fix.

What GPU?

The Vive has been advertised with GTX 980

evga 970 sc, pretty sure it's my 3570k though, others with same cpu have reported spotty performance. Also not sure why the 980 ad is relevant, all the requirements for these games list 970 as minimum with exception of Elite, and imo they should be expected to run at 90 or at least provide the option to turn down settings till that's reached. Feel kinda hornswaggled here. I dunno maybe some improvements can be made to the api but I'm not holding my breath. To be clear I'm pretty sure it's my cpu but for all I know there's some jankiness with my system. I will say this though, my limited time with the Oculus CV1 those games ran flawlessly on my setup, can I trade those scenarios please?

Cimarron

Ok. I am ashamed to admit that the skeletons in Vanishing realms creep me out!!! My heart really pumps during those fights. Teleporting really works well for movement. This is truly a dawning of a new age my friends. I can't wait for some seriou money a talent thrown at this tech.

Also horror is going to be god awful. Pure nightmare fuel.

I really want to play Ethan Carter, but being forced to use a gamepad sucks. What's more, the Steam controller doesn't work with SteamVR because no-good-fucking-reason.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Vive owners, do you play normal games normally or do you run them on the Vive now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom