• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compsiox

Banned
I wouldn't let any child under 7 use it as there eyes are still developing.

For Oculus the age limit is 13 and for PSVR it's 12.

I know you're probablyciting when development is expected to stop but I'm sure Oculus and Sony have these in place for a good reason.

Boring question, but does anyone know the dimensions and weight of the shipping package?

I have foolishly agreed to sell my Vive on, so I could do with estimating shipping :(

Please note I am selling it at face value so I am not trying to profit from pre ordering!

Krejlooc

Banned
I wouldn't let any child under 7 use it as there eyes are still developing.

Clifton Schor, professor of vision science and optometry at the University of California at Berkeley, refutes this claim.

“They’re probably strengthening their eyes by [using VR],” Schor said. “They’re making them stronger because that’s exactly what we do to strengthen the eye.”

Martin Banks, a professor of optometry and vision science at the University of California at Berkeley, is also critical of these claims, noting that there has been no real research to substantiate these kinds of claims:

“people are making these rather brash statements about potential health concerns and stuff as if there’s a smoking gun. I don’t see it. All these claims that are made, there’s not much there.”

Tell me - do you prevent your children under 7 from watching any screen? Because the logic you are using to demonize VR screens can be applied to literally any video technology.

Compsiox

Banned
Boring question, but does anyone know the dimensions and weight of the shipping package?

I have foolishly agreed to sell my Vive on, so I could do with estimating shipping :(

Please note I am selling it at face value so I am not trying to profit from pre ordering!

Well I mean if you're gonna sell it you might as well make a profit. Like who cares. Get all the money.

Well I mean if you're gonna sell it you might as well make a profit. Like who cares. Get all the money.

I don't mind at all if other people do it, it's a free market at work (kind of) I just know some people on GAF get upset about it so I thought I'd make it clear :)

It seems surprisingly difficult to get this info :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
yHTbc3k.png

Here you are my good sir.

Never tried this but I assume this does what you want

I guess. I just hoped there might be a more elegant solution. I suppose the answer is usually 'throw dollars at it'

Krejlooc

Banned
I don't mind at all if other people do it, it's a free market at work (kind of) I just know some people on GAF get upset about it so I thought I'd make it clear :)

It seems surprisingly difficult to get this info :)

the box is about 9" x 16.5" x 23". I suck so bad at estimating weight, so I could be way way off (and likely am) but I'd guess the box is maybe 5 or so lbs?

I would renege on that deal if I were you. That is a poor proposition. Either sell it for the several hundred plus profit it's currently going for on ebay, or keep it. Its your headset, why settle for below market value for it? If people are paying $1500 for a vive at the moment and you can stand going without one for a while, there is no reason to sell at face value.

Wallach

the box is about 9" x 16.5" x 23". I suck so bad at estimating weight, so I could be way way off (and likely am) but I'd guess the box is maybe 5 or so lbs?

I would renege on that deal if I were you. That is a poor proposition. Either sell it for the several hundred plus profit it's currently going for on ebay, or keep it. Its your headset, why settle for below market value for it? If people are paying $1500 for a vive at the moment and you can stand going without one for a while, there is no reason to sell at face value.

If you still have the tracking number in your e-mail or something, it may be listed on the site somewhere.

As for selling it on, I guess it may be a situation where he agreed to pre-order one for someone that wasn't able to at the time, or a family member or something. It would be a pretty shit move to tell someone "yeah I'll help you with that" then when it arrives try to screw them on the price or tell them you changed your mind. Seems a bit late for all that.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Clifton Schor, professor of vision science and optometry at the University of California at Berkeley, refutes this claim.

Martin Banks, a professor of optometry and vision science at the University of California at Berkeley, is also critical of these claims, noting that there has been no real research to substantiate these kinds of claims:

Tell me - do you prevent your children under 7 from watching any screen? Because the logic you are using to demonize VR screens can be applied to literally any video technology.

There is a factual difference between a screen that's two cm from your eyes over one that is 30 cm from your eyes. No matter what somebody else says, I am sure neither that prof nor you are willing to bet your wallets on my kid's safety, right? Kbye. Better be safe than sorry.

Krejlooc

Banned
If you still have the tracking number in your e-mail or something, it may be listed on the site somewhere.

As for selling it on, I guess it may be a situation where he agreed to pre-order one for someone that wasn't able to at the time, or a family member or something. It would be a pretty shit move to tell someone "yeah I'll help you with that" then when it arrives try to screw them on the price or tell them you changed your mind. Seems a bit late for all that.

Ah, forgot about fedex, package weight is listed at 20 lbs (wow!) but that's including the larger package it came in.

Obviously there are situations where he can't renege, but if he can, I totally would.

Krejlooc

Banned
There is a factual difference between a screen that's two cm from your eyes over one that is 30 cm from your eyes.

Which is? That old myth about sitting too close to your TV being bad for your eyes has been dispelled.

No matter what somebody else says, I am sure neither that prof nor you are willing to bet your wallets on my kid's safety, right? Kbye. Better be safe than sorry.

Those profs coming out and saying these kinds of statements are doing precisely what you claim they wouldn't do - they are betting their professionalism on these claims.

Let's not even get into how silly you look by claiming the screen is "two cm from your eyes." WTF are optics???

Nevermind that I am obviously informed about this, and don't particularly solicit unfounded fear from random posters wanting to feign outrage.

kbye.

9am to 10pm hosting the vive. I'm dying.

People waiting over and hour to play. Heavy bass from night concerts rocking the lighthouse back and forth thus making the persons vision swat back and forth. Awesome. Everyone's loving the vive

I even had some people go with the blu demo instead of space pirate trainer and love TheBlu demo just as I did.

Tak3n

Banned
On the subject of Children, there is no evidence on the effect on their eyes, no studies have been done at all

hence why they say 12 upwards, as they just don't know, to say otherwise is fact less, saying that, the reverse is true, if we do not know if it does them any damage, then we can not say for sure it is safe...

So I do a parental decision and allow my Son (8) no more than 30 mins per day on my gear VR

Hi Vive Gaf
Just downloading a few games in anticipation of my Vive arriving this week*fingers crossed*

It's probably been answered already, but this is a huge thread to trawl through!
Is it worth the money for the full version of TheBlu or just to get the demo version on wevr transport. (I will have a lot of family and friends round).
And most importantly, I only have a 970/ i7 3770 combo...for anyone that's tried it does it run ok on this set up.
Thanks.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
All I want to do is run Hearthstone on this thing. No one has answered my question on playing normal games on the Vive. Is it better than using a regular monitor or TV? Does the in game display look huge? Do you prefer normal games on the Vive or normal monitor?

Krejlooc

Banned
All I want to do is run Hearthstone on this thing. No one has answered my question on playing normal games on the Vive. Is it better than using a regular monitor or TV? Does the in game display look huge? Do you prefer normal games on the Vive or normal monitor?

I don't think it's a wise way to spend your money, to be blunt. If you're going to drop $800 on a VR headset plus the $800+ needed to buy a PC capable of running it, just to play existing games on a large screen, I think you will come away disappointed. Because A) you're not going to be getting a radically different experience and B) while you will be getting a screen that is bigger than any screen you could possibly buy, it will not be nearly as sharp.

I play normal games on my normal TV. However, I do watch movies and TV on my VR headset. If this is all I wanted to do, and my sole reason for getting into VR, I would probably be terribly disappointed by the value proposition we're talking about.

To sum it up, yeah you can play hearthstone. Yeah it'll be an enormous screen. No it won't be very clear. No it's not a good investment to spend the money just to do that.

MaxiLive

It looks huge like a 150" TV or something on a wall.

The 2D games I play on a monitor before VR I'll still play on a monitor as it is far more comfortable and easy to get into a game. The theatre is mode to great to experience the 2D game on a large screen but I couldn't see me sitting there for a few hours playing in theatre mode.

Ok so this might be a silly question but anyway, when you connect the headset up and monitor up, I'm assuming Windows will automatically show up with a useable desktop on the monitor right? I'm guessing the HMD isn't even recognised as a screen at this point?

Wallach

I mean if that's all you'd actually do with it, don't. Why don't you instead spend that $800 on a projector setup or a sweet ass monitor or something?

Being able to play regular games in VR like through Virtual Desktop is a footnote kind of feature; it's possible but the current display technology makes this a pretty poor value proposition.

Getting one of these HMDs really only makes sense if you plan to actually apply them for the use cases they're focusing on, I think.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't think it's a wise way to spend your money, to be blunt. If you're going to drop $800 on a VR headset plus the $800+ needed to buy a PC capable of running it, just to play existing games on a large screen, I think you will come away disappointed. Because A) you're not going to be getting a radically different experience and B) while you will be getting a screen that is bigger than any screen you could possibly buy, it will not be nearly as sharp.

I play normal games on my normal TV. However, I do watch movies and TV on my VR headset. If this is all I wanted to do, and my sole reason for getting into VR, I would probably be terribly disappointed by the value proposition we're talking about.

To sum it up, yeah you can play hearthstone. Yeah it'll be an enormous screen. No it won't be very clear. No it's not a good investment to spend the money just to do that.
Nah, of course it isn't the only reason I'm buying a Vive. Thanks for the post. But... My initial question still exists. Are you going to play non VR on Vive because it's a better experience?

I'm gonna Hearthstone tf out of my Vive.

Being able to play regular games in VR like through Virtual Desktop is a footnote kind of feature; it's possible but the current display technology makes this a pretty poor value proposition.
Do you have a Vive? Don't worry about value. Money isn't a dealbreaker for me. I'm curious about the experience. I got all the VR impressions. I'm sold. But I'm still curious about normal games.

Krejlooc

Banned
Ok so this might be a silly question but anyway, when you connect the headset up and monitor up, I'm assuming Windows will automatically show up with a useable desktop on the monitor right? I'm guessing the HMD isn't even recognised as a screen at this point?

Nope. There are two display modes for the vive. There is direct mode, which is used by default - it treats your Vive as an actual device, not a display. Meaning applications specifically have to tell it to turn on and display, otherwise it'll display a black screen. If you start steamVR while the vive is on, you will get a sort of "VR desktop" on the vive that you can change wall papers from or access steam or your existing desktop from, in the form of a floating window in front of you. But you have to launch steam VR first, it's not done automatically.

There is also non-direct mode, which treats the vive as a display. But this isn't quite what you are expecting. This flat out treats your vive like a display across both screens, so the left eye sees the left part of your monitor, and the right eye sees the right part of your monitor. It makes the desktop unusable in the headset. You need some sort of external application to render the desktop as a floating window in each eye to make it resolvable. Non-direct mode is mainly for older apps that output to a window on the desktop rather than talking directly to your headset.

The rift originally only had non-direct mode. Then direct mode came around SDK 0.6. By now, they've done away with non-direct mode entirely. PSVR is undoubtely the same.

Bboy AJ

Hey, that's cool. So technically I can just move my PC into another room and hook my Vive up to it, no monitor needed. Interesting.

Nope. There are two display modes for the vive. There is direct mode, which is used by default - it treats your Vive as an actual device, not a display. Meaning applications specifically have to tell it to turn on and display, otherwise it'll display a black screen. If you start steamVR while the vive is on, you will get a sort of "VR desktop" on the vive that you can change wall papers from or access steam or your existing desktop from, in the form of a floating window in front of you. But you have to launch steam VR first, it's not done automatically.

There is also non-direct mode, which treats the vive as a display. But this isn't quite what you are expecting. This flat out treats your vive like a display across both screens, so the left eye sees the left part of your monitor, and the right eye sees the right part of your monitor. It makes the desktop unusable in the headset. You need some sort of external application to render the desktop as a floating window in each eye to make it resolvable. Non-direct mode is mainly for older apps that output to a window on the desktop rather than talking directly to your headset.

The rift originally only had non-direct mode. Then direct mode came around SDK 0.6. By now, they've done away with non-direct mode entirely. PSVR is undoubtely the same.

Ok thanks, so when you first boot with monitor and Vive for the first time, the Vive is in direct mode then? Or am I better off connecting the headset after I've booted?

Wallach

Do you have a Vive? Don't worry about value. Money isn't a dealbreaker for me. I'm curious about the experience. I got all the VR impressions. I'm sold. But I'm still curious about normal games.

Nah, I've used a Pre briefly but my own Vive isn't going to show up here probably until end of May or something.

I've owned a DK2 for some time as well, though. I'm pretty familiar with messing around with Virtual Desktop to play stuff like Diablo 3. It's not that the screen doesn't seem really large, it's that the image quality suffers when you take a 2D frame buffer at X resolution then apply it to a virtual surface where it is only going to have Y pixels to utilize (which can vary greatly depending on how you configure the virtual screen as well as when you change your own head position) instead of the set amount of pixels it is rendering for.

Like I don't think Hearthstone would suffer as much as something as Diablo 3 necessarily (which is a blow up both in image and usability in my opinion) but I still don't think it would be all that satisfying. When we're into generation 2 or 3 of these devices I could probably see myself doing it a lot more for 2D games but right now it's really not ideal. The image quality takes a pretty big hit right now. I don't see myself really ever playing 2D games in VR even with the display bump in the Rift & Vive over the DK2.

Video is kind of a different use case that seems to work a lot more satisfactorily. I can see myself watching videos and maybe spectating events like UFC or e-sports in VR (especially the latter as there is greater opportunity for how you accomplish that).

Bboy AJ

Nah, I've used a Pre briefly but my own Vive isn't going to show up here probably until end of May or something.

I've owned a DK2 for some time as well, though. I'm pretty familiar with messing around with Virtual Desktop to play stuff like Diablo 3. It's not that the screen doesn't seem really large, it's that the image quality suffers when you take a 2D frame buffer at X resolution then apply it to a virtual surface where it is only going to have Y pixels to utilize (which can vary greatly depending on how you configure the virtual screen as well as when you change your own head position) instead of the set amount of pixels it is rendering for.

Like I don't think Hearthstone would suffer as much as something as Diablo 3 necessarily (which is a blow up both in image and usability in my opinion) but I still don't think it would be all that satisfying. When we're into generation 2 or 3 of these devices I could probably see myself doing it a lot more for 2D games but right now it's really not ideal. The image quality takes a pretty big hit right now. I don't see myself really ever playing 2D games in VR even with the display bump in the Rift & Vive over the DK2.

Video is kind of a different use case that seems to work a lot more satisfactorily. I can see myself watching videos and maybe spectating events like UFC or e-sports in VR (especially the latter as there is greater opportunity for how you accomplish that).
Excellent! Thank you for this. That's super helpful in managing my expectations and I understand the issues now.

MaxiLive

Hey, that's cool. So technically I can just move my PC into another room and hook my Vive up to it, no monitor needed. Interesting.

You'll probably want a monitor as your PC isn't going to auto load in VR and you'll need the screen if anything crashes/derps out.

As for you question early about 2D experience being improved. I don't think they are all that much, great as a bit of a gimmick but after a long day at work/school it will just be more convenient and comfortable to open up Hearthstone on your monitor.

Krejlooc

Banned

No, I said pretty much the exact opposite of this. You need a monitor to start Steam VR.

Ok thanks, so when you first boot with monitor and Vive for the first time, the Vive is in direct mode then? Or am I better off connecting the headset after I've booted?

It's in direct mode by default, you have to dig into some non-obvious drop down menus to find non-direct mode, and you can't even get to those menus without a monitor.

I keep my vive plugged in at all times, it's always connected. It basically just turns on and off as you enter and exit SteamVR.

Durante

Since my body is kind of leaving me hanging after 2 days of room-scale madness I decided to play something seated instead.

I played a dozen or so races in Radial-G (a game I've previously played on both DK2 and CV1) and ... well... I think the Vive might actually be better for seated cockpit experiences than CV1.

I will get back to playing the game with CV1 later today to do a more direct comparison, but I felt more immersed in the game (which could be a result of higher FoV - I took care to note the bounds of my vision in the cockpit), the black level seemed better (something I haven't seen reported on anywhere before), and the optical artifacts were less distracting (of course, DK2 is still king in that department).
I also did far better in it in terms of times/placing than ever before.

Krejlooc

Banned
I don't think the black level is necessarily better in the vive, since it uses the same "almost black" software solution as the CV1 to circumvent black smear, but you might perceive it as better blacks because of the higher contrast of light. CV1 is dimmer than the vive, which makes brighter colors look less vibrant.

No, I said pretty much the exact opposite of this. You need a monitor to start Steam VR.

It's in direct mode by default, you have to dig into some non-obvious drop down menus to find non-direct mode, and you can't even get to those menus without a monitor.

I keep my vive plugged in at all times, it's always connected. It basically just turns on and off as you enter and exit SteamVR.

Excellent, one last thing, is the audio mirroring as simple as selecting an option to get audio through the monitor?

Durante

I don't think the black level is necessarily better in the vive, since it uses the same "almost black" software solution as the CV1 to circumvent black smear, but you might perceive it as better blacks because of the higher contrast of light. CV1 is dimmer than the vive, which makes brighter colors look less vibrant.
Right, that could well be it!

Since eyes are a relative measurement tool in the first place there's less of a practical difference between black level and contrast in VR than it is for screens though ;)

Excellent, one last thing, is the audio mirroring as simple as selecting an option to get audio through the monitor?
Yep!
audioxskgk.png

Krejlooc

Banned

yup. You have some options to change the primary device upon steam VR booting and exiting, and the option of mirroring the device while steam VR is running. Which is slick. This goes for both audio out AND audio in.

Right, that could well be it!

Since eyes are a relative measurement tool in the first place there's less of a practical difference between black level and contrast in VR than it is for screens though ;)

Yep!
audioxskgk.png

yup. You have some options to change the primary device upon steam VR booting and exiting, and the option of mirroring the device while steam VR is running. Which is slick. This goes for both audio out AND audio in.

Cheers guys! You're the best.

kinggroin

Banned

This is literally what I ended up doing.

PC hidden away. Vive cable breakout box is the only thing in the living room

Edit: So, I have my windows shell set to Steam.exe -steamos

Is there any way outside of exiting BPM, that I can run steam VR? I'd hate to have to boot into explorer just for the Vive, as the current method eats up far less resources.

Perhaps a batch file link to SteamVR argument?

Thanks

VR screens are not the same as any tv or mobile screen because of the stereoscopic nature of VR. I would place VR screens closer to tech like 3ds. Those quotes above were a reaction to France banning 3D technology for kids under 7 right? And it's fair criticism because nobody has collected any real data on what these screens can do. France's decision was based off some study in Italy that used no new data. And yes some people say this technology can help fix things like lazy eye. But woah that's sounds pretty potent. The bottom line is that we have a chicken and egg problem here as far as research goes. And with a lack of true definitive research comes a lack of understanding. And risk. Nobody is truly sure either way. Which is why these companies all try to protect themselves. As a parent you generally want to avoid risk when it comes to things like your child's eyes. Even if that risk is small. And because until the age of 6 what is 100% sure is that their eyes are still developing...why take that risk? Granted the risk is likely slight. So to each his own.

Also if anyone is aware of recent research in this area I would love a link.

Krejlooc

Banned
VR screens are not the same as any tv or mobile screen because of the stereoscopic nature of VR. I would place VR screens closer to tech like 3ds.

actually no, the way the 3DS works for its stereoscopy is much closer to that a conventional screen than a VR screen because of fixed convergence. The IPD of the vive is variable and configurable, the convergence can actually be tuned to an individuals eye.

actually no, the way the 3DS works for its stereoscopy is much closer to that a conventional screen than a VR screen because of fixed convergence. The IPD of the vive is variable and configurable, the convergence can actually be tuned to an individuals eye.

True but the min is 61 right? What is your 3 year old nephews IPD?

Okay, found some acceptable settings for Elite Dangerous (or the inexpensive ED: Arena) for those looking to play that game.

- Set visual preset to High or Low VR (doesn't really matter all that much)
- Set Supersampling in game to 1.5x (or 2x if you have a jesus-grade rig)
- Play game.

Unfortunately, that's it. There is no way to make the game look decent without using Supersampling. I couldn't get the DSR settings in Nvidia control panel to improve the resolution of the HMD (i could only get it to impact the monitor). No other setting makes any sort of meaningful difference through the HMD. There's no reason to have textures on Ultra or things like that because that level of detail is lost in the low-resolution of the HMD. You won't tell much of a difference between "Low" and "Ultra".

If you want to experiment, start with the "Low" VR preset and tick things up one at a time. Step back down when you see stutter. Still looking at other options to possibly make Supersampling less demanding but I haven't had any luck yet.

If you don't have at least a 980, I wouldn't bother buying into anything more than ED: Arena. That said, if you do have a 980 or higher, being in the flight deck...it really does look magical.

Seems best suited for like...Mining, Trading and Exploration. Combat...ehhhhhh...I don't think so yet. In combat in ED, ships are often a good distance away and very small until you get close to them. I'd say a good 75% of combat in ED is played at a range that is uncomfortably small for HMDs in their current resolution and iteration. Auto and semi-auto targeting weapons really help fixing that but small is small, you know? HMDs of today don't feel like they do small + dark all that well in my opinion. I'll report back in later on this one.

Okay, found some acceptable settings for Elite Dangerous (or the inexpensive ED: Arena) for those looking to play that game.

- Set visual preset to High or Low VR (doesn't really matter all that much)
- Set Supersampling in game to 1.5x (or 2x if you have a jesus-grade rig)
- Play game.

Unfortunately, that's it. There is no way to make the game look decent without using Supersampling. I couldn't get the DSR settings in Nvidia control panel to improve the resolution of the HMD (i could only get it to impact the monitor). No other setting makes any sort of meaningful difference through the HMD. There's no reason to have textures on Ultra or things like that because that level of detail is lost in the low-resolution of the HMD. You won't tell much of a difference between "Low" and "Ultra".

If you want to experiment, start with the "Low" VR preset and tick things up one at a time. Step back down when you see stutter. Still looking at other options to possibly make Supersampling less demanding but I haven't had any luck yet.

If you don't have at least a 980, I wouldn't bother buying into anything more than ED: Arena. That said, if you do have a 980 or higher, being in the flight deck...it really does look magical.

Seems best suited for like...Mining, Trading and Exploration. Combat...ehhhhhh...I don't think so yet. In combat in ED, ships are often a good distance away and very small until you get close to them. I'd say a good 75% of combat in ED is played at a range that is uncomfortably small for HMDs in their current resolution and iteration. Auto and semi-auto targeting weapons really help fixing that but small is small, you know? HMDs of today don't feel like they do small + dark all that well in my opinion. I'll report back in later on this one.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of rig do you have?

Mikeside

I got my shipping confirmation on Friday at about mid-day, but still no codes for Fantastic Contraption etc

How long did it take for the rest of you to get it? I was told within 24hours

Who should I contact about that?

Just out of curiosity, what kind of rig do you have?

6700k, 980ti, 32GB ram, SSD.

From what I'm reading FDev is aware of the problem for Vive owners but there doesn't appear to be a timetable on a fix. Rift users on a 970 or so should have a better experience in ED for the foreseeable future. Or until ED fixes their game for Vive users. 980s and up too I would think. Seeing mixed reports from Rift users so I'm not sure. Maybe Durante has ED and can try it in a Rift with DSR supersampling to see if the performance is decidedly better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom