• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'll never forget my first time playing Mario 64 in Toys R Us. That was a magical moment.

Vive is going to be there, too, won't it?
I remember wondering if you had to press a button to make Mario open the door while watching it

thematic

I really hope Valve will embrace more hardware maker for this VR thing. Asus, LG, Xiaomi, Acer, Dell etc

same specs, similar design and maybe lighter weight

waiting HTC to fulfill most orders and then expand to my country is like waiting FFvs13 to release as FFXV 10 years later.

meanwhile I can only drooling over GAFers mini review in each VR games

lolol
Buzzerker said:
the only way I would ever get 'excited' about the VIVE or VR is if they made SKYRIM V and it had adult only mods so I could fill it with naked women. That is the ONLY way I would ever consider it. What they have now is a complete waste of time. VIRTUAL BOOBS EVERYWHERE , i'd fill the game with them naked , naked womens...now that is what I would get excited about , you can sweat yourself silly hopping around your basement or your living room or whatever, over viritual miniature golf and tennis , I'm waiting on boobs in Skyimr V thank you very much but no thank you...not yet anyway....MOTIVATION , that is how you spell it youngster...now go put on your oculus it's your turn to serve or putt....

viveks86

Wow. The ending in The Gallery was sooooooo good! It's such a short game, but what a fun game it was. These devs should get all the support they need to make a meatier experience for the next episode.

Even the credits sequence was so well done that I read all of it! Well done, guys!

On a side note...

TRACERCORE!!!

viveks86

I must say, the visuals in the portal inspired demos are out of this world. Like... I haven't seen materials, detail and lighting of this quality in regular maxed out PC games (other than Star Citizen, which isn't out till who knows when). And they manage to keep aliasing/shimmering at a minimum even then, unlike many of the other games out at launch. Incredibly impressive!

Is SLI Woking OK with the launch stuff?

Nope. Not a single game supports it yet. I asked the devs at Cloudhead games and they said they are waiting for Valve to advise on what changes need to be made. Sounds like VR SLI came in hot and devs are gonna need more time before they start using it. Even The Lab isn't using my second card. Tried adding -multigpu to the launch options as well.

Kevin

That "Super Mario 64" Moment

I often times here people say that the first time putting on the Vive or Rift it gives you that "Super Mario 64" moment.

Super Mario 64 was that game that completely and utterly blew me away as a 10 year old kid. I mostly only had NES games and some 2D pc games before eventually seeing Mario 64 for the first time in a toy catalog and eventually playing it for the first time ever at Toys 'R' Us.

The experience was simply earth shattering to me. I loved the NES Mario games, never had an SNES and so I essentially went from Super Mario Brothers 3 to Super Mario 64 and man I just couldn't believe how amazing such an experience was seeing your favorite games turned into huge 3D worlds where it felt like there was no real limits to what was possible.

As a kid you don't really think about polygons and tech. I was able to use my imagination more and the sky was the limit.

Again I hear VR often times being compared to that "Super Mario 64" experience and god I really hope that is true. I am banking hard on having a nice experience so I geared my computer up for VR (6 core intel, 24gb of ram, 980ti, etc) and of course ordered the Vive.

I've poured through countless videos and a lot of it looked cool but I can't be convinced unless I try it for myself. I put a lot of money on this stuff so I really hope that the tech really is worth while. I've been interested in VR since the 90s.

I hope the HTC Vive isn't something that I'll play for an hour, say "meh" and put it back into it's box that sits in the corner of my room collecting dust.

I tried GearVR for like 5 minutes watching one stationary 360 room video and one video where you floated through a slow-action shootout. My brief thoughts on that were mixed. The room felt pretty damn real but the motion video did not. Not sure if it was the field of view, screen door effect or just the artificial movement. Still it showed potential but felt under cooked.

I've been yearning for another "Super Mario 64" moment for years now. It's been a long time since something gaming related has truly impressed me and I always thought "total immersion" would do the trick. I hope I am not wrong!

Zalusithix

I wouldn't be surprised if it's just someone trying to be funny. Happens all the time. Probably somebody who is looking for attention. The alternative is that he's simply, "not all there" mentally.

These things aren't mutually exclusive, so I'm banking on it being somebody that's a few screws loose and wanting attention.

Space Pirate Trainer is so much fun, never get tired of dodging incoming lasers, so great having that kind of freedom.

As someone that lived and breathed music games for years and well past their prime, Audioshield just hasn't clicked with me yet. It's fun for sure but I guess I was hoping the haptic feedback was a bit more pronounced. Through The Fire and Flames on hardest is a blast, but I just haven't had that revelatory moment with it so many others have. Maybe I need drugs...

Compsiox

Banned
Space Pirate Trainer is so much fun, never get tired of dodging incoming lasers, so great having that kind of freedom.

As someone that lived and breathed music games for years and well past their prime, Audioshield just hasn't clicked with me yet. It's fun for sure but I guess I was hoping the haptic feedback was a bit more pronounced. Through The Fire and Flames on hardest is a blast, but I just haven't had that revelatory moment with it so many others have. Maybe I need drugs...

Talk to a doctor to make sure drugs are right for you

Kevin

Sensation of touch. In the Steam controller / Lighthouse it's like a much more finely controlled, small-scale rumble. Get a tick every time the controller rotates 5 degrees so it feels like a gear - stuff like that.

That actually sounds pretty cool if used correctly by games. Hmm...

Sou

That "Super Mario 64" Moment

I tried GearVR for like 5 minutes watching one stationary 360 room video and one video where you floated through a slow-action shootout. My brief thoughts on that were mixed. The room felt pretty damn real but the motion video did not. Not sure if it was the field of view, screen door effect or just the artificial movement. Still it showed potential but felt under cooked.

What you tried was not VR.
Many people mislabel 360 degrees videos as VR, but it is not comparable to contents where 3D data are displayed with sensory and spatial accuracy.

Haint

I really hope Valve will embrace more hardware maker for this VR thing. Asus, LG, Xiaomi, Acer, Dell etc

same specs, similar design and maybe lighter weight

waiting HTC to fulfill most orders and then expand to my country is like waiting FFvs13 to release as FFXV 10 years later.

meanwhile I can only drooling over GAFers mini review in each VR games

More concerning than the shipping failure is HTC's post order support. They are reportedly making customer pay return shipping for DoA and defective Vive's and are only promising refurbs in return. Hope you like stinky beard sweat.

Talk to a doctor to make sure drugs are right for you

I think some hq sudafed is the right kind of buzz for me, no doctors needed :p

Is there a release date for the Star Wars experience? I need some lightsabers in my life like yesterday with these controllers. I'd die and go to heaven if a spiritual successor to Outcast was made for VR. Force power one controller, saber and guns the other. You know you want it.

Zaptruder

Banned

I think audioshield is one of those experiences that require a little bit extra from the player to really enjoy.

Like if you follow it literally, it's very straightforward.

If you start trying to dance to the music and the beat, you'll see that the patterns are there to assist in dancing. Move your feet around, punch the air. Get hyped. Feels good.

Is there a release date for the Star Wars experience? I need some lightsabers in my life like yesterday with these controllers. I'd die and go to heaven if a spiritual successor to Outcast was made for VR. Force power one controller, saber and guns the other. You know you want it.

Apparently that's just an installation demo... they won't be releasing it because the rig they use to run it uses triple 980 Tis D:

It's based off their real time visualization tech that they have going in house, so those are assets from that experience.

I think audioshield is one of those experiences that require a little bit extra from the player to really enjoy.

Like if you follow it literally, it's very straightforward.

If you start trying to dance to the music and the beat, you'll see that the patterns are there to assist in dancing. Move your feet around, punch the air. Get hyped. Feels good.

Apparently that's just an installation demo... they won't be releasing it because the rig they use to run it uses triple 980 Tis D:

It's based off their real time visualization tech that they have going in house, so those are assets from that experience.

Good point, I'll try to get into the groove a bit more so to speak...

Bummer about the SW demo, could've sworn I saw it was getting a release for consumers. Not like I have anywhere near nor the means for such a rig to drive the thing. Oh well, I'm sure we'll see plenty of lightsaber-ish mechanics soon. I thought there was a launch game for Vive that had this peewee lookin saber in one hand, gun in the other. Floating robo balls with emoji style facial displays on them you have to avoid/kill. Can't seem to find it on Steam though but not sure what it was called.

Zaptruder

Banned
Good point, I'll try to get into the groove a bit more so to speak...

Bummer about the SW demo, could've sworn I saw it was getting a release for consumers. Not like I have anywhere near nor the means for such a rig to drive the thing. Oh well, I'm sure we'll see plenty of lightsaber-ish mechanics soon. I thought there was a launch game for Vive that had this peewee lookin saber in one hand, gun in the other. Floating robo balls with emoji style facial displays on them you have to avoid/kill. Can't seem to find it on Steam though but not sure what it was called.

I'm not entirely sure on the Star Wars thing... it was simply an /r/oculus thread that I saw a few days ago.

There's a game called Raw Data that'll be seeing release in the summer... I think that'll be right up your alley for room scale sword and gun gameplay.

XRA

Neo Member
FYI, reducing the size of the mirror window can definitely help performance. Kind of annoying, but most games I've tried remember the window size after it has been set. Hope eventually the mirrored display can be toggled.

Compsiox

Banned
idk about you guys but I had a pretty great day with my Vive. I played and beat Vanishing Realms which was a lot of fun. I played Cloudlands which was relaxing. And I even got some more Audioshield in.

After I beat Job Simulator and The Gallery though it's going to be all about replaying. I think launching all the games at once is definitely bad from this aspect. There are only like 3 new Vive games listed on Steam for the next 3 months. So after I get bored of Audioshield and Hover Junkers...then I just let my Vive collect dust?

I'm kinda scared tbh.

Kevin

idk about you guys but I had a pretty great day with my Vive. I played and beat Vanishing Realms which was a lot of fun. I played Cloudlands which was relaxing. And I even got some more Audioshield in.

After I beat Job Simulator and The Gallery though it's going to be all about replaying. I think launching all the games at once is definitely bad from this aspect. There are only like 3 new Vive games listed on Steam for the next 3 months. So after I get bored of Audioshield and Hover Junkers...then I just let my Vive collect dust?

I'm kinda scared tbh.

Not everything is listed on Steam yet. The Star Wars experience looks fun. Everest looks pretty epic, Paranormal Activity looks promising and the list goes on. I think there will be a pretty nice collection of games that will come out throughout the year including stuff you may not even be expecting.

After using Vive for awhile, does it feel like something you could see yourself being just as involved with a year or so from now?

Compsiox

Banned
Not everything is listed on Steam yet. The Star Wars experience looks fun. Everest looks pretty epic, Paranormal Activity looks promising and the list goes on. I think there will be a pretty nice collection of games that will come out throughout the year including stuff you may not even be expecting.

After using Vive for awhile, does it feel like something you could see yourself being just as involved with a year or so from now?

If there's content, definitely!!!!

Also thanks I needed to hear this. I knew deep inside that there's probably unlisted upcoming content but I still couldn't help but worry.

Kevin

If there's content definitely!!!!

Also thanks I needed to hear this. I knew deep inside that there's probably unlisted upcoming content but I still couldn't help but worry.

I've seen a crap ton of stuff that I've wanted to try personally and I've seen many indie games in development that look incredible including the Titanic VR game, Allison Road, etc. I mean not every game will be a room scale game obviously but there will be a lot of VR games in the coming month I predict and a lot of cool/fun tech demos too. So big and small experiences will appear.

I would love for some decent tripple AAA games but that might not happen anytime soon. I don't expect Assassin Creed VR or anything like that for a long time.

Compsiox

Banned
I've seen a crap ton of stuff that I've wanted to try personally and I've seen many indie games in development that look incredible including the Titanic VR game, Allison Road, etc. I mean not every game will be a room scale game obviously but there will be a lot of VR games in the coming month I predict and a lot of cool/fun tech demos too. So big and small experiences will appear.

I would love for some decent tripple AAA games but that might not happen anytime soon. I don't expect Assassin Creed VR or anything like that for a long time.

Yeah I've kinda become a room scale elitist after playing so many games that take advantage of it. I guess I'm gonna have to undo that so I can enjoy the seated experiences too. But damn is it gonna be hard to go from room scale to seated experiences.

Anyway thanks again! Have a goodnight.

Krejlooc

Banned
My 3 year old nephew literally squealed with joy over Final Approach. He loves toy airplanes so seeing them fly around him in game was astonishing to him.

Waikis

I'm kinda scared tbh.

After I'm done with VR games, I think my vive will be used for virtual desktop for the glorious unbordered surround gaming.

I'm kinda scared tbh.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about games as the launch amount quadrupled in 5 days from 20ish to near 100. I know some of them are ports but some aren't. There is plenty of stuff coming out I'm sure but don't expect it to be big. I really can't see VR games being like their counterparts mostly with long campaigns etc. but more focused on doing a few things well for the game type.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

I'm with you on this. Arbitrary dots generated in a stream based on a vague algorithm doesn't do it for me either. I couldn't get into their previous wipeout esque thing either.

However, I can't wait to see a music game hand authored for VR. The new Rez looks fantastic.

So glad I upgraded my 970 to a 980 Ti after reading this and other posts.

What GPU?

The Vive has been advertised with GTX 980

nvidia-geforce-gtx-htc-vive-vr-ready-640px.png

Same best decision ever!

Are you guys able to apply high levels of AA in
the majority of games and stay silky?

Is there some where doing a comparison with where the games max out for resolution with these displays. For example 2160*1200 looks the same as 1280x720 with 4x aa for audioshield

Krejlooc

Banned
great leaps forward like what the Vive represents is precisely why I stay up to date on technology and follow video games. It's just so mind blowing that, suddenly, there is this entirely new medium available and experiences we can create that flat out were never possible before. We can see and do things that no other groups of people in the past have. You go through life for a few decades and think you've seen just about everything and then boom - technology creates a brand new reality.

I honestly pity anybody who is so jaded that they can't get excited about VR, especially the Vive. This is a pretty huge moment in my life, tbh. I will never forget this launch.

Krejlooc

Banned
However, I can't wait to see a music game hand authored for VR. The new Rez looks fantastic.

I'm excited for Rez obviously but I wonder if we are going to lose some proprioception because the game is third person. Part of the reason AudioShield feels so awesome is because we don't have to think about aiming, you just put your hands where you instinctively know they should be and it all works. I kind of feel like Rez would benefit the same way. If it was in first person, and you fired by aiming with your hands like you were goku from dragonball Z, I feel that might work better.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Man my frame drops are all over the place with inconsistency, turned on notify in headset and it went crazy in Audioshield, oddly enough after awhile my performance seemed to improve on things that ran like crap before like Irrational Exuberance, didn't get any popups for that. I did use the vr desktop feature to check out what fraps was showing in the on-desktop pane, yup very few things are a consistent 90 for me, even Longbow which feels the smoothest dipped now and again. I feel like there must be something on my system hogging memory though, otherwise no clue why IE would suddenly start running perfectly when it ran like crud initially.

Anyhow still having a blast with it, just finished the Budget Cuts demo for the first time, the muscle memory component to these controllers is so damn satisfying, your body learns everything fluidly so quickly due to how accurate the tracking is. Was garbage with the knives my first go through and by second round I felt like a goddamn pro assassin. Can't wait to play the full thing.

Any way to ensure background process stay down, without manually turning them all off? Eg if my wife suddenly uploads a bunch of stuff to our shared Dropbox or my daughter starts watching something on plex. Normally the occasional frame drop is fine, but I'd like a button I can press to ensure VR gets whatever CPU it wants and everything else can wait

Any way to ensure background process stay down, without manually turning them all off? Eg if my wife suddenly uploads a bunch of stuff to our shared Dropbox or my daughter starts watching something on plex. Normally the occasional frame drop is fine, but I'd like a button I can press to ensure VR gets whatever CPU it wants and everything else can wait

Another PC

Compsiox

Banned

yHTbc3k.png

Here you are my good sir.

Never tried this but I assume this does what you want

Run audioshield. What is its native resolution? If you bump it up does it look different

I gotta go to bed. I'll check one of these days ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom