• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplexPL

I'm getting my Vive tomorrow, here's the short list I've got going for download tonight.

61a0FrT.png

What else should go in the "need to try IMMEDIATELY" section.

I also don't have any out-of-steam applications, so anything stand out that is its own separate executable?

I am not speaking from personal experience, but Holopoint seems to be getting good opinions.

Yeah, for me pushing it just one click back reduced the halo a bit and the FOV was the same (I tried it a lot back and forth to check, two clicks were reducing the FOV though).

Awesome! That's really positive for blind people like me, I had visions of pushing it right back and getting a 10 degree FOV! Ha

Arulan

I doubt it will be a problem with them connected directly into the Vive. They can be overbearing with a more dedicated set up. If you're used to the Sennheiser sound, you may think they are though, it's hard to say for sure because your tolerance is probably different to mine.

I really enjoy them myself.

So, I ended up picking these up. I spent some time with them to make sure my pair didn't suffer from the recent Gibson quality control problems. They sound great. The bass is more pronounced than what I'm used to with the HD 600s, but not exaggeratedly so. The soundstage is larger. The mids are a little recessed compared to the HD 600s, and the highs are a bit more pronounced. I still prefer my HD 600s, but these are a fantastic compliment to them. And of course, because these are only 30 ohms with a sensitivity of 100 dB @ 1mW, the Vive can handle them perfectly. :)

Now I just need to find a very short cable.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
BLARP! is my favorite VR game so far. Buy it immediately!

I am not speaking from personal experience, but Holopoint seems to be getting good opinions.

Hover Junkers was already mentioned, but yeah, it should be on every list.

Download the Irrational Exuberance: The Prologue. It's free and for me was a wow moment despite running The Lab and theBlu before it.

I've really enjoyed Final Approach and Pierhead Arcade.

Outside of Steam, if you've got Minecraft, then you should try the minecrift mod.

Thanks all, put them all on my wishlist to download when I get home.

Sad to say I cancelled my pre-order, but on the bright side everyone who is in May just got moved up the queue by 1!

Reasoning for those who care:
Considering I have a Rift CV1, I couldn't justify spending the money on a Vive as well for something so similar since I'm saving up for a vacation for the end of the year. I got to try a Vive consumer edition last weekend and preferred how comfortable and light weight the Rift is -- with the exception of the Vive facial interface being softer and less tight on my glasses. I'm getting a VRCover when they release so it's softer and hoping Oculus or a third-party releases another facial interface with glasses cut-outs and I'll be set. I may actually just use VR Lens Lab and order custom lenses so I don't even need to wear my glasses which eliminates the glasses problem entirely. Many of the games I'm interested in (Hover Junkers being #1 with Budget Cuts being a close second) are currently either demo's or early access -- Job Sim definitely looks the most polished and one which I would most likely play but I can pick that up later since it's SP only. Don't get me wrong, the Vive games are certainly fun right now and are more immersive than what's on the Rift. I greatly enjoyed my time with Space Pirate Trainer, but I didn't see enough which would keep me coming back for SPT in particular I am very much on board the direction they plan to go based on what they have listed on Steam for the final game. Honestly, even with the Vive after the new-ness factor wears off I'd probably just end up playing a fair amount of Elite Dangerous which I can already do and that doesn't take advantage of anything the Vive has to offer since I'm seated and using HOTAS. Finally, I personally think Touch looks cooler than the Vive wands because of its finger "tracking" (which I know isn't actual tracking but rather capacitive sensors). The Touch also looks more comfortable to hold in the hands and appears smaller which I prefer, even though you won't be able to do the cool party trick of throwing someone their Vive wand while in VR. The demo's they've shown off for Touch look very cool and it will be very cool when it's integrated into AltspaceVR to be able to point, thumbs up, etc. I personally think having the controllers strive to be more hand-like instead of wands will be better for immersion overall. Since OpenVR supports Touch it's not like I'm going to miss any games or experiences unless a game does something weird with the touch pad which I don't think any do right now, but it does mean I have to wait for a few more months which is going to be the painful part. I have an early order with the Rift and got it in March, so I expect I'll also get my Touch quickly as well since I have my spot reserved. At the very least, if Touch DOES end up sucking I should hopefully be able to go buy a Vive at retail, and by then there should be many more polished experiences.

I've spent all of my time in VR playing AudioShield and a little bit of The Lab. I know I should start Amazing Contraption, but is there anything I'm really missing out on?

I actually kept it at that adjustment since I tried it the first time.

Sounds like a no brainer for me then with glasses n all, I'm going for those Kickstarter eye brackets and lenses, so apart from maybe some frame discomfort, I won't be losing much in the wait for the lenses to ship in a couple of months.

I've spent all of my time in VR playing AudioShield and a little bit of The Lab. I know I should start Amazing Contraption, but is there anything I'm really missing out on?

Hover Junkers
Holopoint
Space Pirate Trainer
Vanishing Realms
The Gallery - Call of the Starseed
Blarp!
Brookhaven Demo

I've heard good things about RadialG but haven't jumped yet. Extra shout out to Light Repair Team #4 which I enjoyed for the low price.

Oh and shout out to Lucky's Tale ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

"headset is connected but not tracking"

Oh my god I'm getting frustrated.

When I see that (or similar "we don't detect anything messages), I find only a full system restart fixes whatever causes it. It's a really obnoxious glitch.

I have not found a solution. Anyone else know of a way to fix those times when the headset is connected but SteamVR acts like it doesn't see it short of a full restart? Maybe a process that needs to be terminated or system service turned off and on again?

"headset is connected but not tracking"

Oh my god I'm getting frustrated.

I see this almost every time I stop using the headset and come back a few hours/a day later. Almost always when I press the home button on the controllers. I'm guessing there's some background process that's breaking it.

I've also had problems activating the camera by double tapping, and disabling the pass through camera seems to help a bit.

IMACOMPUTA

When I see that (or similar "we don't detect anything messages), I find only a full system restart fixes whatever causes it. It's a really obnoxious glitch.

I have not found a solution. Anyone else know of a way to fix those times when the headset is connected but SteamVR acts like it doesn't see it short of a full restart? Maybe a process that needs to be terminated or system service turned off and on again?

I see this almost every time I stop using the headset and come back a few hours/a day later. Almost always when I press the home button on the controllers. I'm guessing there's some background process that's breaking it.

I've also had problems activating the camera by double tapping, and disabling the pass through camera seems to help a bit.

Well, I've been messing around with it for nearly an hour and a half now. I've unplugged everything/plugged it back in, restarted my PC multiple times, reinstalled Steam VR, still nothing.
Guess I can try again tomorrow. Really pissed off right now. Steam's software side of the Vive is total shit.
Buyer beware.

Is it normal for the basestations to be gray in the SteamVR status window until the controllers are turned on? Or is this happening because my headset isn't being tracked?

Update, 4/14 3:05 p.m. EDT: Oculus has since reached out to Ars Technica with a response to our report: "This is a hack, and we don’t condone it. Users should expect that hacked games won’t work indefinitely, as regular software updates to games, apps, and our platform are likely to break hacked software."

I thought Luckey said different.

Anyone help me, I'm searching for a specific post that laid out the differences and tech advancements of VR from those found in the arcades in the 90s to today's. Was technical in its discription. I've tried searching through 3 different VR threads to no luck.

Well, I've been messing around with it for nearly an hour and a half now. I've unplugged everything/plugged it back in, restarted my PC multiple times, reinstalled Steam VR, still nothing.
Guess I can try again tomorrow. Really pissed off right now. Steam's software side of the Vive is total shit.
Buyer beware.

Is it normal for the basestations to be gray in the SteamVR status window until the controllers are turned on? Or is this happening because my headset isn't being tracked?

Do you have bluetooth enabled for the base stations? I've heard a lot of people have had trouble with this setting and it caused all sorts of tracking/power issues. I've also heard that reflective surfaces can cause tracking to get super messed up, might be worth a look.

IMACOMPUTA

Do you have bluetooth enabled for the base stations? I've heard a lot of people have had trouble with this setting and it caused all sorts of tracking/power issues. I've also heard that reflective surfaces can cause tracking to get super messed up, might be worth a look.

No, I don't. And I tried covering my monitor with a shirt and it didn't make a difference.

Does anyone know what the button next to the light on the HMD does?

So, I ended up picking these up. I spent some time with them to make sure my pair didn't suffer from the recent Gibson quality control problems. They sound great. The bass is more pronounced than what I'm used to with the HD 600s, but not exaggeratedly so. The soundstage is larger. The mids are a little recessed compared to the HD 600s, and the highs are a bit more pronounced. I still prefer my HD 600s, but these are a fantastic compliment to them. And of course, because these are only 30 ohms with a sensitivity of 100 dB @ 1mW, the Vive can handle them perfectly. :)

Now I just need to find a very short cable.

They're great fun headphones. Perfect for gaming in my opinion, cool to hear you're enjoying them. Save the 600's for your music and the X2's for explosions.

Mikeside

Not to shit on Oculus or anything, but are we surprised Luckey is going back on his "we're cool if people want to get our shit working on other HMDs" word?

He fucking started this VR revolution and it's shitty to see him 'change his mind' about things like this and "gamepads are shit for VR"

Cartman86

Banned
No, I don't. And I tried covering my monitor with a shirt and it didn't make a difference.

Does anyone know what the button next to the light on the HMD does?

It's a Home button like on the controllers. Did you disable the Vive Camera in the settings outside of the headset? That thing fucks with so much shit it's unreal. USB connections and motherboards being able to power them is the bane of my existence. Not to mention USB 3.0 incompatibilities.

Buyer beware.

Curious. I haven't heard reports of anyone having that much trouble. Are the base stations turned on? Do you see the "b" and "c" letters on them?

Did you install the bluetooth driver in SteamVR's settings? The shit was literally plug and play for me.

:(

Not to shit on Oculus or anything, but are we surprised Luckey is going back on his "we're cool if people want to get our shit working on other HMDs" word?

He fucking started this VR revolution and it's shitty to see him 'change his mind' about things like this and "gamepads are shit for VR"

he's a company man now brah. it is what it is.

It's really shit how they are handling the Rift. Having a closed marketplace like they are is the complete opposite of how I expected VR to go. I mean, you want the platform to take off and this will almost certainly hamper that. Now isn't the time for it.

As long as they actively don't try to patch it out or try to stop it's development all together, I don't think this is necessarily inconsistent with previous statements. They're basically just saying "Don't blame us if any updates break this unofficial hack. We're not going to go out of our way to make sure compatibility is maintained.".

Compsiox

Banned

I posted a small write up about his lies and severe change in attitude a while ago on the subreddit and got down voted into oblivion.

Waikis

Well he only said that they were fine with a mod that bridges Oculus and Vive.
This seems like a standard statement to say that subsequent updates may potentially break compatibility. We'll see if they'll actually actively try to disable it.

IMACOMPUTA

It's a Home button like on the controllers. Did you disable the Vive Camera in the settings outside of the headset? That thing fucks with so much shit it's unreal. USB connections and motherboards being able to power them is the bane of my existence. Not to mention USB 3.0 incompatibilities.

Curious. I haven't heard reports of anyone having that much trouble. Are the base stations turned on? Do you see the "b" and "c" letters on them?

Did you install the bluetooth driver in SteamVR's settings? The shit was literally plug and play for me.

:(

he's a company man now brah. it is what it is.

I've tried turning the camera off and it didn't change anything. Yesterday when I first set everything up it was fine. Everything worked.

Yeah base stations are on, b and c is set. I even tried switching them so b is now c, c is now b. Still nothing.
Yeah i just tried installing the bluetooth driver and it said it was installed. Still no luck. Really don't know what to do. I think my headset broke by just sitting on my desk overnight.

Edit: Now it's telling me there is a firmware update for the headset out of nowhere... WTF is going on?

Compsiox

Banned
As long as they actively don't try to patch it out or try to stop it's development all together, I don't think this is necessarily inconsistent with previous statements. They're basically just saying "Don't blame us if any updates break this unofficial hack. We're not going to go out of our way to make sure compatibility is maintained.".

con·done
kənˈdōn
verb
accept and allow (behavior that is considered morally wrong or offensive) to continue.

Yeah they're going to patch it out. To condone means to allow to continue so if they're not...

viveks86

You don't use words like "condone" without judging it as wrong or unacceptable. So this is indeed a change in stance. They could just as easily have said "We are not responsible for unofficial 3rd party injection, but we will not stop it".

Are the base stations supposed to be gray until the controllers are turned on?

No, if they're on they should eventually be detected by the headset and SteamVR unless the application is acting stupid. It may take 10-20 seconds but SteamVR should show them as green with or without the controllers.

Zalusithix

It's more the language being used. Using the term "hack" which has negative connotations instead "mod". The "we don’t condone it" part where they're basically saying we don't want it to exist. And the "are likely to break hacked software" part where they're more less saying "expect this to not work in the not so distant future".

If they wanted a more neutral wording that gets across that they don't support it then something like this would be more appropriate:
The modifications needed to make this possible are not supported by Oculus and may result in less than optimal performance or other side effects. Additionally, updates to our software may cause the modifications to cease to properly function without additional work put in by the modder.

Yeah they're going to patch it out. To condone means to allow to continue so if they're not...
You don't use words like "condone" without judging it as wrong or unacceptable. So this is indeed a change in stance. They could just as easily have said "We are not responsible for unofficial 3rd party injection, but we will not stop it".

The language is definitely troubling but there's nothing there saying they're specifically going to target it. We'll see soon enough though. It'd be EXTREMELY hard to justify going that route after how clear Palmer's previous statement was.

EDIT: I'm curious if their real problem is people accessing Lucky's Tale for free when it's supposed to be a Rift bonus. I could definitely see them trying to revoke access for people without a Rift (though I have no clue how they'd do that at this point).

You guys realize that they have luckys tale for free on the osculus site? I think they were more upset at that people download it ,run the exec and play for free.

Compsiox

Banned
The language is definitely troubling but there's nothing there saying they're specifically going to target it. We'll see soon enough though. It'd be EXTREMELY hard to justify going that route after how clear Palmer's previous statement was.

EDIT: I'm curious if their real problem is people accessing Lucky's Tale for free when it's supposed to be a Rift bonus. I could definitely see them trying to revoke access for people without a Rift (though I have no clue how they'd do that at this point).

You're trying to way too much out of the small statement. If it were something specific like that they probably would have said so.

Buyer beware.

You in a lit room. How far are the base stations away. I have found that really room scale ist viable with smaller rooms as the sensors cant track corners as easily in the corners. It really takes a light control larger room unless you do standing only.

IMACOMPUTA

You in a lit room. How far are the base stations away. I have found that really room scale ist viable with smaller rooms as the sensors cant track corners as easily in the corners. It really takes a light control larger room unless you do standing only.

The room is 10x8. I tried turning the lights off.

I put the headset directly in front of the base station and cant get it to track.

You're trying to way too much out of the small statement. If it were something specific like that they probably would have said so.

Maybe, maybe not. Just a thought really. It's really the only downside on their end for Vive users to have access to stuff on their store. Keep in mind the original title of the post announcing the wrapper specifically called out compatibility for Lucky's Tale and Dreamdeck.

Also let's not forget you're drawing some unsaid conclusions from the same two sentences (even though I agree it sounds troubling).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom