• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compsiox

Banned
Maybe, maybe not. Just a thought really. It's really the only downside on their end for Vive users to have access to stuff on their store. Keep in mind the original title of the post announcing the wrapper specifically called out compatibility for Lucky's Tale and Dreamdeck.

Also let's not forget you're drawing some unsaid conclusions from the same two sentences (even though I agree it sounds troubling).

I'm basing my conclusions on the definition of words used in the statement :p

TheJerit

I've tried turning the camera off and it didn't change anything. Yesterday when I first set everything up it was fine. Everything worked.

Yeah base stations are on, b and c is set. I even tried switching them so b is now c, c is now b. Still nothing.
Yeah i just tried installing the bluetooth driver and it said it was installed. Still no luck. Really don't know what to do. I think my headset broke by just sitting on my desk overnight.

Edit: Now it's telling me there is a firmware update for the headset out of nowhere... WTF is going on?

how high are the base stations and how far down are they tilted down? Have you tried the sync cable with the base stations? Silly question, but did you remove the clear film off the front of the base stations? I've heard a surprisingly large amount of stories involving that...

IMACOMPUTA

I would try plugging them in just in case. Also make sure one is set to b and one is c

Tried it. Didn't find any updates.

how high are the base stations and how far down are they tilted down? Have you tried the sync cable with the base stations? Silly question, but did you remove the clear film off the front of the base stations? I've heard a surprisingly large amount of stories involving that...

They're about 6'4". 45 degrees tilted.

Yeah i just got done trying the sync cable. It's seeing the controllers just fine, but not the headset.

And yes, i took the film off. I really don't understand why it suddenly doesn't work.

Compsiox

Banned

Yeah i just got done trying the sync cable. It's seeing the controllers just fine, but not the headset.

And yes, i took the film off. I really don't understand why it suddenly doesn't work.
Okay try changing the firmware manually.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/358720/discussions/0/385428458171928063/post 13

I did this when my lighthouses were corrupted. They work flawlessly now.

Before doing this reboot the headset through SteamVR under devices to see if that will fix it.

TheJerit

Damn, that really is bizarre. I don't have mine yet (end April/beg May pls), so I'm out of ideas. Hopefully Compsiox's suggestion does the trick. Best of luck.

viveks86

The language is definitely troubling but there's nothing there saying they're specifically going to target it. We'll see soon enough though. It'd be EXTREMELY hard to justify going that route after how clear Palmer's previous statement was.

Yeah nobody knows if they will or won't actively stop it. But I think we can agree that the tone has changed from benevolent to... troubling.

The beta branch of steam vr dropped an update today so make sure you opt in to get it, seems to address some of the cpu issues, folks on reddit are reporting perf improvements so give it a whirl.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/622995964807562636

SteamVR Beta Updated (1460680192)

APRIL 14 - SCHWINDLIG [STEFAN] - VALVE

General 

Fixed missing camera UI when camera fails to be detected due to USB issues. 

Fixed issue with Unicode characters in usernames and the SteamVR install path. 

Remove utah_plateau from included backgrounds. This is available separately now in the SteamVR Workshop with both ground detail and solid color.

Lighthouse 
Including vivelink 1.0.41 for improving Bluetooth communication

Room Setup 
Fixing a bug where the “Calibrate Floor” button would sometimes not appear.

Compositor: 
Switched from busy wait to sleep to reduce cpu overhead for synchronizing with vsync (running start).

Disabled triggering reprojection due to cpu overhead. The current algorithm was too aggressive and more data needs to be collected across a wider range of applications and hardware combinations. Note: Poor cpu performance can still trigger reprojection due to causing gpu work to start later in the frame.

More at the link.

TheCrow

So after a couple hours of audioshield and spare pirate trainer I'm kinda tired. Somehow I ended up rolling around on the floor during my last round. Yeah, this kinda awesome.

Nope, no windows.
My next step is to delete everything that has to do with the vive and try starting over.

Yo, I saw this and wondered if it would help you bro.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4eu3uh/how_to_revive_your_nonworking_vive_tips_and_tricks/

So after a couple hours of audioshield and spare pirate trainer I'm kinda tired. Somehow I ended up rolling around on the floor during my last round. Yeah, this kinda awesome.

If you have a pirate to spare I could use one right about now. I'm at the point where I'm about to raid a Fed Ex facility and could use some backup.

Just tried about 10 minutes of Space Pirate Trainer and requested a refund. It's a fine game, but way too shallow for $15. If it were maybe $10 with some customization options, that'd be more my speed.

Also, it hit some performance snags on my i7 4770k / 980 gtx. That seems weird when everything else has been smooth as butter.

Compsiox

Banned
Chunks is the fucking best! The roller coaster creator is insane. I got so immersed while building and riding it. I walked out of my boundary without thinking I was so immersed. I felt like I was a kid in a sandbox constructing these amazing coasters.

Outstanding.

I don't care if you get motion sick. EVERYONE MUST OWN THIS GAME!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/402800/

I'm getting my Vive tomorrow, here's the short list I've got going for download tonight.

61a0FrT.png

What else should go in the "need to try IMMEDIATELY" section.

I also don't have any out-of-steam applications, so anything stand out that is its own separate executable?
final approach, on sale at $20 just barely hits the worth it mark. and I mean yeah it's super worth it for the scale it provides in a game that feels like a real game and not a demo.
vanishing realms is ok for the [edited out] price for the sword fighting i guess. if you hae the cash and want a dungeon crawler - edit - oh it's $20.. eh.. *shrugs?*
Chunks is the fucking best! The roller coaster creator is insane. I got so immersed while building and riding it. I walked out of my boundary without thinking I was so immersed. I felt like I was a kid in a sandbox constructing these amazing coasters.

Outstanding.

I don't care if you get motion sick. EVERYONE MUST OWN THIS GAME!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/402800/

oh chunks is the roller coaster maker? bought.

Compsiox

Banned
final approach, on sale at $20 just barely hits the worth it mark. and I mean yeah it's super worth it for the scale it provides in a game that feels like a real game and not a demo.
vanishing realms is ok for the $15 price for the sword fighting i guess. if you hae the cash and want a dungeon crawler

oh chunks is the roller coaster maker? bought.
Not exclusively but it's very well done. It's a building game but the coaster tool is a huge part of it. You can build your own environment that revolves around your coaster or just build stuff for fun. Haso workshop support.

Monger

So I got it set up tonight and was able to play for a bit. I was having some issues getting it to detect the headset at first, but once I got the USB issues figured out everything went smoothly. I wanted to test out the tracking before permanently mounting the boxes so I just placed them randomly in the room. One box was about 4 ft high and the other 5.5 ft with the sync cable connected. They tracked perfectly from 25.5 ft apart once I turned off Bluetooth. I was getting some stuttering before that. I'll bring them in to around 20 feet when I ceiling mount them.

Pretty tired, but had a lot of fun. Headset was pretty comfortable once I had it adjusted properly and held up with me jumping, ducking and dodging.

How do you join the SteamVR beta? Is it separate from the Steam beta updates?

I looked, but couldn't find it either. Google search didn't help.

I just finished trying Vive and VR in general for the first time. I haven't had these feelings since my last lucid dream. It's indescribable and to think this technology is in its infancy... I'm blown away.

Well, I've been messing around with it for nearly an hour and a half now. I've unplugged everything/plugged it back in, restarted my PC multiple times, reinstalled Steam VR, still nothing.
Guess I can try again tomorrow. Really pissed off right now. Steam's software side of the Vive is total shit.
Buyer beware.

Is it normal for the basestations to be gray in the SteamVR status window until the controllers are turned on? Or is this happening because my headset isn't being tracked?
uh just making sure. you did this? https://gfycat.com/ImaginaryFatherlyIggypops

IMACOMPUTA

Got my Vive today and my 980ti shit the bed on the same day. Fantastic.

Sorry to hear that :(

So, I fixed my issue with the headset not being tracked....

by.. unplugging the 3 headset cords from the link box for a couple hours and then plugging them back in.

Yeah, I dunno. Works now.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nope, no windows.
My next step is to delete everything that has to do with the vive and try starting over.

Have you changed anything related to the USBs plugged into your computer? Maybe check if everything is correctly plugged in the break-out box? Or even in the headset (I read a story on Reddit about that). Is the headset light green?

Just tried about 10 minutes of Space Pirate Trainer and requested a refund. It's a fine game, but way too shallow for $15. If it were maybe $10 with some customization options, that'd be more my speed.

Also, it hit some performance snags on my i7 4770k / 980 gtx. That seems weird when everything else has been smooth as butter.
On Unity games Holt down ALT on the keyboard when launching the game and select a lower resolution/detail for the mirroring on the monitor. Was having similar issues on budget cuts and SPT till I found out about this.

If you were planning on showing the vive to 100+ people a day who will only see vr for less than five minutes, I'd consider SPT as the best demo game.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

They plan on adding more things to the game, it's in early access now.

Mikeside

The deep, dark scenario in theBlu is legitimately creepy as fuck. Amazing - I'm so glad I bought it - I wasn't going to bother because I already demoed the whale encounter at an event, so I didn't think it'd be worth it. I only actually got it to show off for others, but I definitely got my money's worth.

Other than that, I've been playing a LOT of Audioshield, still, and put about an hour into Final Approach last night, which is a lot more fun than I thought it'd be too.

I'm basically waiting patiently until everything settles down with Elite Dangerous now, as I'd rather not spoil the experience with the current bugs I've heard about.

Hopefully Chronos is playable on Vive soon. I might give Luckey's Tale a go tonight before it gets patched out of working too.

Lemonte

SPT is amazing. First waves are boring but wave 12 and beyond are so much fun. I roll on the floor and dodge lasers like Neo. I can see it being less fun with smaller play area.

TheCrow

Yeah, I agree even though I only played SPT a couple times since I was already pretty tired. Plus I kinda forgot to eat anything but I still had a blast. Only made it to wave 5 and it was already getting a bit hectic. There's so much they can add and that only makes me more excited.

On a semi-related note. Is there a steam group for Vive GAF? Would be cool to add some people for leader boards and other multiplayer games. Cuz I doubt i'm getting anywhere near those top SPT scores, at least not anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom