• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I like the Phantom Menace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poona

I like it too.

Sebulba is cool. I like Watto and Boss Nass and the rest of the gungans too. Podracing is a fun time. Qui Gon Jinn is pretty cool too. Oh and can't forget Queen Amidala and how extensively she is made up in this.

I'm forever wondering what became of those like Sebulba, Watto and Boss Nass. Hope we see them again somewhere or the same species (same with Gungans).

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
MqNMvVi.jpg
What the actual fuck is that?

I think its pretty ok, like most of the series, in fact while I don't particularly adore the series the only one I truly absolutely hate is Attack of the Clones.

Tuck

Its a movie about nothing.

Nothing important happens. You could remove the movie entirely from the prequels and nothing would need to be changed.

Tevious

It's the only one out of the prequels I kind of like. I don't think it's a particularly good Star Wars film, though. As it's own thing, I think it'd be a pretty decent movie, only hammered down by it's obvious flaws.

Soltype

My favorite outside the original trilogy.The movie had some definite problems, but I think average movie goers wanted something more familiar, while people that were reading the books were already used to a different universe.I really liked Amidala in this one portman did a good job playing a young queen, you could see she was over her head and she played it well.

Defuser

When I think about this movie I would think of how Qui Gon is a dick to Obi wan. He went against the council because he wants to train anakin without thinking of Obi Wan feelings.

Then he died unfortunately Obi Wan have to honor his wishes. When Anakin turn into the dark side he didn't come back as a force ghost but instead Obi Wan have to come back as a force ghost to luke.

213372bu

Banned
I sincerely cannot tell if this is supposed to be sarcastic. ._.

We've officially gone to far with this thread.

You are not my phriend.

"Nitpick" You mean voice criticism on genuinely poor aspects of the movie? Pulled off? There was nothing dark about the way slavery or poverty was portrayed; at all lol. And oh man at that last sentence lol

Empire not having Jar-Jar in it automatically makes it a better movie.

The Original Trilogy was a product of its time. Hokey, tropey, live-action everything while doing its best to serve an audience with traditional thoughts on cinema.

The Prequel Trilogy was approaching a new millennia, a majority of which during a post-9/11 world. The audience had grown old, but they had to cater to new younger crowds with different expectations.

The Phantom Menace was able to incorporate some of the deepest themes in cinema and present them in the Star Wars aesthetic. Political assassination, hostages, slavery, the premature death of the "old guard", trade wars (still relevant today,) hunger, and war.

The Phantom Menace is one of the densest movies in cinema, no questions asked. It's just the matter of minor nitpickers not liking it for a lack of "character development", "not being like the originals", "needless politics", and so on.

Lucas knew what the fans wanted.

Lucas took chances adding minor scenes for Jar Jar so that they may be introduced to the series, but everyone greatly exaggerates it as being the end all of the film's quality. Brush back those few seconds of screen-time and you get one of the best Star Wars movies of all-time, and certainly one of the deepest considering the heavy/dark themes and its relevancy as it approached a new millennia.

Meowster

It's a decent movie. *shrug* Don't really get the hate for it. Maybe it's due to what fans were expecting in that time period between it and Jedi - which I wasn't a part of. It's not an egregiously bad film like Attack of the Clones. I saw the movie several times as a kid in the movie theater and loved it. Still do, really, even though I rank it low for the series as a whole.

tuxfool

Banned
The Original Trilogy was a product of its time. Hokey, tropey, live-action everything while doing its best to serve an audience with traditional thoughts on cinema.

The Prequel Trilogy was approaching a new millennia, a majority of which during a post-9/11 world. The audience had grown old, but they had to cater to new younger crowds with different expectations.

The Phantom Menace was able to incorporate some of the deepest themes in cinema and present them in the Star Wars aesthetic. Political assassination, hostages, slavery, the premature death of the "old guard", trade wars (still relevant today,) hunger, and war.

The Phantom Menace is one of the densest movies in cinema, no questions asked. It's just the matter of minor nitpickers not liking it for a lack of "character development", "not being like the originals", "needless politics", and so on.

Lucas took chances adding minor scenes for Jar Jar so that they may be introduced to the series, but everyone greatly exaggerates it as being the end all of the film's quality. Brush back those few seconds of screen-time and you get one of the best Star Wars movies of all-time, and certainly one of the deepest considering the heavy/dark themes and its relevancy as it approached a new millennia.
Everything about this explanation is awful. Makes sense, given that the Phantom Menace is pretty awful.

I've seen you around kiddo. You post these weird opinions almost everywhere you go, leaving behind a wake of confusion, terror, and anger. I liked your spunk, kid, your blind faith in your own opinion, your reckless confidence. But this time you've gone too far. Its time we end this before things get out of hand. I'm going to have to put you down, kiddo. I'd say that I'm not going to enjoy it, but I will.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I've seen you around kiddo. You post these weird opinions almost everywhere you go, leaving behind a wake of confusion, terror, and anger. I liked your spunk, kid, your blind faith in your own opinion, your reckless confidence. But this time you've gone too far. Its time we end this before things get out of hand. I'm going to have to put you down, kiddo. I'd say that I'm not going to enjoy it, but I will.

Not before he presents his view on The Hobbit vs the LotR movies.

BajiBoxer

Banned
It's my favorite of the prequel trilogy. Did some things well, and I actually liked some of the politics. Don't know that I'd say it was a good film overall, but the stuff I enjoyed like the score, the pod racing, Darth Maul's fight (except the end :p), and Queen Amidala all made it easier to not fret over the nonsense.

The 2nd one was easily my least favorite. The Anakin and Amidala romance is such a disaster.

It's my favorite Star Wars movie. I watched them all recently and came to that conclusion. I really love everything that happens on Tatooine. Qui Gon is great, the music is incredible, Jar Jar is just fine in my book. I mean, Empire is a better film, sure, but I like Phantom Menace a lot more than it.

phhNRF6VwfxkY.gif

I like it too, it's my favorite of the prequels. I feel like the subsequent films were influenced more and more by what Lucas thought fans wanted, while, for better or worse, TPM was free from all that. Even though DVD/Blu-ray versions were butchered, I still prefer how it looks as well, since it was the only one of the prequels shot on 35mm. I feel like they filmed on location more than the next 2 films, also. Beyond that, I am not sure how else to justify why I like it, other that it just feels the most like Star Wars to me, out of the 3 PT movies.

Im kinda up for a rewatch actually,
What is the consensus on a definitive edit?

It's only a small detail in the end but I love the older Puppet Yoda version just because it's so charming no matter how weird it looks.

Can I just mention one neat Maul moment in the film that nobody really talks about. It's the first very brief duel between Qui Gon and Maul. It only takes a few seconds and it's shot so that the action is (at least I think it was on purpose!) hard to see. Maul still had his long robes and there is sand/dust everywhere. After Qui Gon escapes he is all sweaty and ''what the fuck was that?''. And it makes sense! Jedi in that era are not actually trained to fight Siths or to expect them.

Fast foreward to Revenge of the Sith. Obi Wan is all like ''Sith Lords are our speciality''. Oh really? Based on the two encounters in however billion years where both times his friend gets either dismembered or killed. C'mon son.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The single most disappointing movie experience of my life. Imagine seeing that shit opening day, I remember walking out of the theater feeling dazed and confused and sad.

The single most disappointing movie experience of my life. Imagine seeing that shit opening day, I remember walking out of the theater feeling dazed and confused and sad.

I can imagine. I did it. Thought it was awesome then, think it's awesome now.

cacildo

You know how I know that Jar Jar is a great character? People can't freakin' shut up about him 20 years later. Haha.

Thats true

In fact people complain about the prequel trilogy but they talk A LOT about it until today. And the memes, still going strong

I like the prequel trilogy and i was very happy to see Bail Organa on rogue one

Forkball

The movie is just plain boring. Wikipedia says it's 133 minutes and man, you feel every second. What is even the story? A company blockades a planet for... what reason? They want them to sign a treaty? To get more money? But they also work for Palpatine? Who is trying to do what? And the entire Republic army can't just wipe out this trading company's private fleet of tin can robots? Pod racing?

I liked more than I disliked, and it's certainly better than its follow-up.

Still, it's not an entry I'm fond of overall.

That premiere day at Disney World was legit though.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I like it too. It has some exciting scenes and unlike episode 2 and 3 it's not completely unwatchable. However, that doesn't excuse that there some shoddy filmmaking going on. There are so many thing that if they were edited out it would make the movie better.

Redd

Still my favorite of the prequels. Also A New Hope was the best of the original trilogy. Nothing tops the Death Star trench run.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Darth Maul was pretty fun to watch, the rest of it not so much.

Jesus Christ, no.

There is nothing daring, nor brave, nor deep about a movie starring two planks of wood, an annoying little boy, a monotone girl, and a cartoon rabbit with a head injury fighting to end a trade dispute that we have little explanation for and have zero investment in.

The story is shit. Qui-Gon Jinn (Obi Wan's master, which completely borks Obi's line in Empire about Yoda being his teacher) is sent with Kenobi to settle a trade dispute. But Palpatine is actually hoping for them to report back that the Trade Federation is up to no good so he can get a vote of no confidence in the Senate.

But then he opts to have the Jedi killed instead, which is asinine because it risks the investigation into their deaths turning up evidence of his own involvement (since the hooded figure ordering the murder of those two Jedi looks and sounds an awful lot like Chancellor Palpatine. And we know they have the ability to record and play back holograms, because it's done in Episode III).

But going back to the blockade: Why is it put in place? What did Naboo do? What does Naboo have that the Federation wants to gain from their blockade? It must be something massive to have the freaking massive Trade Federation come to block all access to your planet. Were they building their own Death Star? For a story this "deep," it's sure missing a lot of key elements.

Another thing it's missing is logic. Jinn and Kenobi hop on Federation ships that are invading Naboo in order to inform that people of Naboo that they're being invaded. What? That would be like tying a note to one of the bombs dropped on Pearl Harbor that warns of the (currently underway) attack.

For their attack, the Trade Federation decides to land their ships on the other side of the planet and walk to the capital. Because why not? It's not as if war is already costly enough in terms of fuel and other necessary supplies. Just fuck it, we'll walk.

I could go on and on. Obviously a lot of this is covered in the Plinkett reviews, but these are glaring issues that I (and many others) have had with the film (and its sequels) since release.

The movie is trash tier. Better than AOTC, but just barely.

bounchfx

Pod race was dope
So was duel of the fates
Rogue one didn't have music one tenth as good

Rest of the movie was a joke

Kule

Out of the three prequels it's the one I find the easiest to watch.. It's just a straight adventure movie with some goofy parts every so often.

As for part 2 and 3 I find the cringe romance story and almost zero chemestry to be really awkward and I can't suspend my belief and enjoy them. Also the jedi being murdered so easilly in the finale never sat well with me, the scene made them all look completely stupid.

Fou-Lu

Unfortunately I disagree. I can't even manage to sit through it as an adult, it's the only movie in the series where I feel as such. Episode II is close.

Bolivar687

Banned
I liked it when I rewatched it recently, too. Obviously the flaws are not debatable - much of the casting and writing is poor and the beginning fails to sensibly set up its story, introducing way too many factions, characters, and locations before bothering to demonstrate or explain why we should care.

At the same time, I was surprised to rediscover so much that I liked. Neeson, McGregor, McDiarmid, Jackson, and... whoever did Yoda were commendable. Darth Maul was haunting, in a way no villain in the movies since has been able top. I even liked Jake Lloyd's performance, despite understanding why others still find it cringe-worthy. I'm intrigued by the choice to depict Anakin at three phases of his life over the course of a trilogy, beginning when he would undoubtedly have acted like other children his age. The movie shows us he's a special child before the Midiclorian explanation, showing him to be an intuitive mechanic, a great pilot, fluent in multiple languages, and charitable beyond what you expect from someone in his position. I'll also flat out say that Lucas is a great action director. The podracing scene is still fantastic and I like how he recaptured the multiple battlefronts from Return of the Jedi, with the Gungans on a battlefield against the Droids, Anakin with the fighters in orbit, Padme leading a special forces mission through the palace, and Maul confronting the Jedi.

I can't say if we'll be hearing this more with Disney's approach but for me, personally, I loved this film these movies have aged better directly because of The Force Awakens and Rogue One. Despite their shortcomings, Lucas still caught lightning in a bottle twice - he invented an entirely original creative universe for other storytellers to make their own adventures with television shows, video games, and other media, some of which did go on to become critically acclaimed in their own right (KOTOR, The Clone Wars, Battlefront). I came to appreciate this more when I watched interviews where he explains what "independent" means to him and why he stepped away from consulting on The Force Awakens. As James Cameron remarked, Lucas' films were far more conceptually innovative than what we're getting now. That doesn't make the acting better, fix the bad dialogue, or reconstruct the poor implementation of the story. But it does enhance my enjoyment and immersion, much moreso than a movie that purposefully recreates the earlier imagery of its franchise. Disney's films do this to an extent that it almost feels like they're breaking the fourth wall in a self-aware way.

While I can see why, on the whole, the new movies are overall better than the Phantom Menace, I have incredible respect for Lucas to throw away the visual foundation of the original trilogy and start all over again, telling a different story with new themes, characters, locations, all for a second expanded universe to dominate our cultural imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom