• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

Does anyone have recommendations for partition sizes and layouts for OS performance?

I will have an SSD for my system and apps, and an array of 4 HDDs for data. Since I'm on an Intel board, I can actually use different RAID types on the partitions of the array. The plan is to use RAID 10 for general data, and RAID 0 for all the 'special' partitions I'm looking for info on.

I will set aside some play area for video, photo, modeling, but it's the rest of the areas I need help with.

Swap file? Temp? Caching? What do I need, and what sort of sizes? Note this is a Win 7 Ultimate build with an SSD.

n0n44m

Deadly Monk said:
I updated my BIOS on my Asus motherboard (it has an AM2 slot) so it can use an AM3 cpu. The newest bios update says they are now compatible with AM3s but only if they're quad core, not 6 cores.

My motherboard has enough power to run the new CPU. The CPU is an AMD Phenom II X4 960. I put it in, everything booted up, I did the Windows index....but it's saying it's only 803mhz...which is basically a fourth of what the cpu really is (it's supposed to be 3.4 ghz). It almost feels like it's only reading one "core". I need help! Everything feels like it's even running slower than my old dual core AMD cpu...

My motherboard is an ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless. If you check the ASUS site, the newest BIOS was released a week ago and clearly says supports AM3 as long as it's quad core...

it is probably throttling for some reason .. download CPU-Z to read the current clockspeed, open a stresstest or windowed game and see if it changes

if it is still at 800 mhz, first make sure all the overclocking and CPU settings in bios (e.g. multiplier) are set to [AUTO]

then try disabling Cool'n'Quiet in the bios -> this is a feature that downclocks the cpu when it is not utilized, but it might not be compatible with your older motherboard and newer cpu

also make sure you have the latest Chipset (nforce) drivers

I just installed my SSD, but I have some questions regarding keeping my information and how to deal with the other copy of windows on my old drive.

Would it be easier to just copy my steamapps folder to my storage drive and then reformat my drive?

If I don't reformat, can I just delete the windows folder and not get the prompt every time to boot into my old drive's copy of Windows 7?

I just don't want to wait half a day for all my games to be backed up.

MisterAnderson said:
Does this look good?

28lzard.jpg

I'm about to mount this thing onto it:

2m6pi7k.jpg

Looks fine to me but, I do it a bit differently. I use Arctic Cooling MX-2, since it doesn't conduct electricity it is far less likely to damage anything plus it only costs like $5 to $10, and place a small pea sized dab in the center then, take a piece of saran wrap and push my finger into a section of it so that it stretches and makes a very tight covering over the tip of my finger. I then rub the MX-2 around gently, making a circular motion combined with a sort of brushing motion, to try and make a thin layer without completely touching the edges of the chip. I do the same thing for the heat-sink and it has always resulted in fantastic cooling for me.

Any other way I've tried has always resulted in poor cooling but, that's probably because I'm an idiot.

TheExodu5

Banned
MidgarBlowedUp said:
Looks fine to me but, I do it a bit differently. I use Arctic Cooling MX-2, since it doesn't conduct electricity it is far less likely to damage anything, and place a small pea sized dab in the center then, take a piece of saran wrap and push my finger into a section of it so that it stretches and makes a very tight covering over the tip of my finger. I then rub the MX-2 around gently, making a circular motion combined with a sort of brushing motion, to try and make a thin layer without completely touching the edges of the chip. I do the same thing for the heat-sink and it has always resulted in fantastic cooling for me.

Any other way I've tried has always resulted in poor cooling but, that's probably because I'm an idiot.
Spreading is important for GPUs, but the CPU is only a small component in the middle of the heat spreader.

Either way is fine, really. The only danger with spreading is accidentally putting too much.

TheExodu5 said:
Either way is fine, really. The only danger with spreading is accidentally putting too much.

And I've done that before, many times.

That's why I make it a point that when I spread I never let the stuff get too close to the sides of the CPU and, I try to make the layer nearly see through. For some reason and, I'm sure it's because I'm a goofball, any other way I do it the results are mediocre or near disasterous.

So I got my rig overclocked to 3.7 Ghz (won't go any higher for some reason) and I got it running stable. Except for the fact that if I put my PC in sleep mode, when I "wake it up," the image never comes back on my monitor. I went to see if I could see anything strange in the case, and the V6 GT Coolermaster CPU fans just straight up don't come on after I wake it up, yet the light is on it so it's getting power... does anyone have any idea what the deal is? I use sleep mode for my PC all the time.

i7 920 Bloomfield
Gigabyte EX58-UD4P

CPU Frequency 3.70GHz (185x20)
QPI Link Speed [x36] 6.66GHz
UnCore [x16]
BCLK Frequency (Mhz) [185]
Turbo disabled/Performance enhance set to [Standard]
System Memory Multiplier [8.0]
Memory Frequency (Mhz) 1440

Load-Line Calibration [Disabled]
CPU Vcore [1.27500V]
QPI/Vtt Voltage [1.215V]
I0H Core [Auto]
DRAM Voltage [1.640V]

mrklaw

MrArseFace
rabhw said:
Can anyone recommend a good high-CFM low-dBA case fan? To be mounted on the side panel as an exhaust to pull heat away from my video cards.

Currently I have a Scythe Kaze-Maru - 1900 RPM - 104CFM - 41dBA. But it's too damn loud for me.

I also have another Scythe Kaze-Maru - 500 RPM - 29CFM - 11dBA. While quiet, it isn't exactly moving a lot of air.

Anyone have a better fan or good compromise they can suggest?

I was recommended Noctua. Rated at around 10db with the ultra low noise adapter fitted (900rpm I think)

Anyone with an ASUS P67 motherboard? I'm confused by the fan controls. My CPU cooler (Noctua 9B) has two fans with only 3 pins, no PWM control pin. The ASUS motherboard CPU fan header is 4 pin. The motherboard manual doesn't mention any setting to use voltage to vary the speed - only PWM. Does that mean I can't vary the speed based on CPU temperature, and I'll have to run them at full speed? Granted they are quiet fans, and I have LNAs to quieten them down manually if necessary, but I was hoping to overclock. I don't mind it being a little noisy when under heavy load, but for general use I'd want it quiet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Raistlin said:
Regarding your quest for mice, do you need to go wireless? I don't want to open the latency, etc. can-of-worms regarding wired versus wireless, but I'll simply say that including wired will dramatically open your options as well as get you lower prices. Unless you're doing something like a HTPC build, I don't see the point of wireless to begin with.

I actually spent several hours last week looking for wireless options and ended up with the wired one listed up a few posts. $34.99 and crazy gaming performance.

Its a HTPC build :p

Well, not strictly. Silverstone LC17 HTPC case but its going in the spare room. The main reason for a wireless mouse is I won't be sitting at a desk - it'll be using a 40" 1080p TV for display, and I'll be sitting back from it, so need something on my lap (haven't worked out what to use yet - tray or something).

I'm no competitive gamer, so will latency be that bad?

bozeman

I just canceled my order with cyberpowerpc because of the Sandy Bridge issue. They sent me e-mails that told me that, yes, my rig would be gimped but they're going to go ahead and build and send it anyway with no info or promise to replace once it was fixed.

So, what mb's are currently working nice with the i5 2500k or the i7? Or do I just wait until April?

(Once again, I'm not building my own...unless there's a site out there that has that handy "Bill Me Later" option. I don't have the cash on hand to pay for it all right now, but can pay it off over the 6 month grace period.)

knitoe

TheExodu5 said:
Spreading is important for GPUs, but the CPU is only a small component in the middle of the heat spreader.

How to put thermal paste on the CPU depends on the heatsink. If the heatsink is even and flat, pea size in the middle will work. But, that won't work on a 212+ because it has grooves, copper & aluminum, which will make paste spread unevenly. In that case, spreading the paste works much better.

Any reasons why I can't cold boot into my overclock? :(

I'm on an ASUS P8P67 if that means anything. I'm also completely new to this overclocking concept. If I set it from my BIOS, it runs fine. But a cold boot totally doesn't work. :(

knitoe

mrklaw said:
I was recommended Noctua. Rated at around 10db with the ultra low noise adapter fitted (900rpm I think)

Anyone with an ASUS P67 motherboard? I'm confused by the fan controls. My CPU cooler (Noctua 9B) has two fans with only 3 pins, no PWM control pin. The ASUS motherboard CPU fan header is 4 pin. The motherboard manual doesn't mention any setting to use voltage to vary the speed - only PWM. Does that mean I can't vary the speed based on CPU temperature, and I'll have to run them at full speed? Granted they are quiet fans, and I have LNAs to quieten them down manually if necessary, but I was hoping to overclock. I don't mind it being a little noisy when under heavy load, but for general use I'd want it quiet.
For MB control variable fan speed, you need 4 pin connection fan. Otherwise, you need to control it manually with 3rd party fan control accessory. You can also try MB option setting of standard, quiet or full speed.

knitoe

Stabby McSter said:
Any reasons why I can't cold boot into my overclock? :(

I'm on an ASUS P8P67 if that means anything. I'm also completely new to this overclocking concept. If I set it from my BIOS, it runs fine. But a cold boot totally doesn't work. :(
Need to update the bios. That was an issue in the original bios.

mrklaw said:
Accessories! Forgot about them.

What wireless mouse should I get? I prefer logitech ones almost solely because of the clicky mouse wheel (I *hate* the MS smooth wheel. eww) Doesn't really need more than the basic controls (side buttons for back/forward in browser are nice but not essential), but it'd be good if it was flexible about what surface its on, as it'll be used in the spare room and won't have a dedicated desk. Are the Logitech 'Darkfield' models good? I like the look and feel of the MX anywhere.

I think I'm going to use my mac bluetooth keyboard for a while, but if it starts to annoy me (the cursors especially are very small and close together), then it'd be good to get recommendations for a wireless keyboard. Compact is preferred

cheapest place to get a wireless 360 pad? Do I need the special 360 pad for windows with the receiver, or can I buy a receiver separately and a normal wireless 360 pad?

you can go either the razer mamba (I had and it was great..... fro three months, then it died) I am now looking at the microsoft sidewinder wireless or the Cyborg R.A.T 9

edit: oops, did not see you had a budget. well for wireless keyboard I really liked the K350 wave keyboard from Logitech. as for mice the mx wireless is good too.

Got my case, motherboard and hard drive today! Combo deals, gotta love them.

Waiting to sell my laptop before I order the rest of the components.. Feels good to hold things in my hands. :p

Anyone know if/when that Mafia 2/Just Cause 2 coupon will be back in stock at NewEgg?

What thermal pastes are people using for their CPU coolers? Someone told me that Arctic Silver was no good anymore and to look for something with diamonds in it ? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Should I just use the stuff that comes with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 + or get something better? Is there something better? thanks all!

xero273

DrBaalzamon said:
What thermal pastes are people using for their CPU coolers? Someone told me that Arctic Silver was no good anymore and to look for something with diamonds in it ? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Should I just use the stuff that comes with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 + or get something better? Is there something better? thanks all!

Arctic MX-4 is what you are looking for.

New PC is up and running, but when the PC isn't doing anything, the speed is 1.6 GHz. I know this is because of Speedstep. I disabled both Speedstep and C1E in BIOS, but the processor speed is still the same. My motherboard is P8P67. What other settings do I need to change?

Thanks.

Velion

xero273 said:
Arctic MX-4 is what you are looking for.

New PC is up and running, but when the PC isn't doing anything, the speed is 1.6 GHz. I know this is because of Speedstep. I disabled both Speedstep and C1E in BIOS, but the processor speed is still the same. My motherboard is P8P67. What other settings do I need to change?

Thanks.

Update Bios.

ZZMitch

Ok, so I have run 8, almost 9 Passes on Memtest (almost 6 hours) without any errors whatsoever. This is with both of my RAM sticks in.

Is that enough time... is it safe to assume my RAM is ok and not the cause my problems?

squinters

astigmatic
MisterAnderson said:
So I got my rig overclocked to 3.7 Ghz (won't go any higher for some reason) and I got it running stable. Except for the fact that if I put my PC in sleep mode, when I "wake it up," the image never comes back on my monitor. I went to see if I could see anything strange in the case, and the V6 GT Coolermaster CPU fans just straight up don't come on after I wake it up, yet the light is on it so it's getting power... does anyone have any idea what the deal is? I use sleep mode for my PC all the time.

i7 920 Bloomfield
Gigabyte EX58-UD4P

CPU Frequency 3.70GHz (185x20)
QPI Link Speed [x36] 6.66GHz
UnCore [x16]
BCLK Frequency (Mhz) [185]
Turbo disabled/Performance enhance set to [Standard]
System Memory Multiplier [8.0]
Memory Frequency (Mhz) 1440

Load-Line Calibration [Disabled]
CPU Vcore [1.27500V]
QPI/Vtt Voltage [1.215V]
I0H Core [Auto]
DRAM Voltage [1.640V]
Do you run windows off a sandforce SSD?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
evil solrac v3.0 said:
is it always neccessary to update the motherboard BIOS?
from my experience, anytime i've noticed stability issues with my or my friend's PCs, test like prime or memtest would bring it out in minutes, not hours.

you're probably fine unless you're hunting down a particular issue.

Raistlin

bozeman said:
I just canceled my order with cyberpowerpc because of the Sandy Bridge issue. They sent me e-mails that told me that, yes, my rig would be gimped but they're going to go ahead and build and send it anyway with no info or promise to replace once it was fixed.

So, what mb's are currently working nice with the i5 2500k or the i7? Or do I just wait until April?

(Once again, I'm not building my own...unless there's a site out there that has that handy "Bill Me Later" option. I don't have the cash on hand to pay for it all right now, but can pay it off over the 6 month grace period.)
Wait, they are all gimped. Only go ahead if a place guarantees an unconditional MoBo swap and you are okay doing the install, or a full system swap and you are okay transferring your data.

in other words, wait :p

Having some trouble distinguishing the differences between these Asus displays..

Obviously some are LED and others are regular LCD, but what some are the same price, same screen size, etc but with different model numbers.

Should I just go for the $99 deal of the week LCD? In other words, is LED worth the extra money?

commissar

any ideas on good stand alone microphones for pc?

I have some decent headphones already so am not after a headset, and it turns out the zalman mic which attches to headphones is very quiet :(

knitoe

DrBaalzamon said:
From what I read and was planning to used, the IC Diamond is one of the best, but since it's made from diamond dust, could easily scratch the CPU and cause the label etching to be removed. That might affect the CPU warranty. Instead, I am using Arctic MX-4 (spread technique) and they gives about 3-5C drop compare the stuff that came with the cooler. There are still better options out there, Arctic MX-3 (thicker and harder to apply), Indigo Extreme and Shin Etsu.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
commissar said:

I have some decent headphones already so am not after a headset, and it turns out the zalman mic which attches to headphones is very quiet :(
If you have a Microphone from a Rockband or Sing Star game, I would just grad a cheap $5-$10 stand and use it, they are of pretty good quality.

vocab

commissar said:

I know someone with the zalman clip on, and he sounds fine to me. There's volume adjustments for everything. I'm most likely going to get one soon.

commissar

vocab said:
I know someone with the zalman clip on, and he sounds fine to me. There's volume adjustments for everything. I'm most likely going to get one soon.
I always had to up the gain by about 20 decibels to be heard :( Ended up giving me weird crackling feedback.

kirby: I want more deskspace lol. it's why I havent got one of those boom style logitech ones either.

I'm thinking I might just get a webcam :U

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
commissar said:

logitech usb mic

aka AK5370

ZZMitch

Hazaro said:
HDD smart and diagnostics

Can you explain to me what these are exactly? I searched google and couldnt really find anything...

edit-

Well according to Speecy, this is my S.M.A.R.T. Don't know what to make of it though.
S.M.A.R.T
01 Read Error Rate 100 (100 worst) Data 0000000000
03 Spin-Up Time 071 (071) Data 0000002576
04 Start/Stop Count 100 (100) Data 00000000EA
05 Reallocated Sectors Count 100 (100) Data 0000000000
07 Seek Error Rate 253 (253) Data 0000000000
08 Seek Time Performance 100 (100) Data 0000000000
09 Power-On Hours (POH) 100 (100) Data 00000002B0
0A Spin Retry Count 100 (100) Data 0000000000
0B Recalibration Retries 100 (100) Data 0000000000
0C Device Power Cycle Count 100 (100) Data 00000000D1
0D Soft Read Error Rate 100 (100) Data 0000000000
B7 100 (100) Data 0000000000
B8 100 (100) Data 0000000000
BB 100 (100) Data 0000000000
BC 100 (100) Data 0000000000
BE Temperature Difference from 100 085 (075) Data 000F0F000F
C2 Temperature 081 (073) Data 00130F0013
C3 Hardware ECC Recovered 100 (100) Data 000007F8B9
C4 Reallocation Event Count 100 (100) Data 0000000000
C5 Current Pending Sector Count 100 (100) Data 0000000000
C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count 100 (100) Data 0000000000
C7 UltraDMA CRC Error Count 100 (100) Data 0000000000
C8 Write Error Rate / Multi-Zone Error Rate 100 (100) Data 0000000000
C9 Soft Read Error Rate 253 (253) Data 0000000000
Temperature 19 °C
Temperature Range ok (less than 50 °C)
Status Good

Roody

Neo Member
Sorry for bugging you all again, but if anyone knowledgable has some time, could you take a look at my Newegg list and let me know if I'm on the right track? I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to building a PC and this is my first one so I'd at least like to start off on the right foot. I have an i5 listed there but I'm pretty sure I'll just go for an i7 in the end, though. I was hoping to get this before April, so I'm guessing Sandy Bridge is out of the question at this point? I'm also clueless about picking a good motherboard. I was attempting to base my list off the $900-1000 build in the OP.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
OK, hopefully this will be my final question about parts, since I expect to be purchasing them from NewEgg tomorrow (!!!!), but I need to be sure I'm not making any mistakes.

1. Looking at these parts, are there any incompatibilities? I only ask because I've already made that mistake, and I've made some changes since it was fixed.

2. Will that case be OK? I just wanted something cheap but I have no idea how to determine what case fits with what parts.

DtpSz.png

Roody said:
Sorry for bugging you all again, but if anyone knowledgable has some time, could you take a look at my Newegg list and let me know if I'm on the right track? I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to building a PC and this is my first one so I'd at least like to start off on the right foot. I have an i5 listed there but I'm pretty sure I'll just go for an i7 in the end, though. I was hoping to get this before April, so I'm guessing Sandy Bridge is out of the question at this point? I'm also clueless about picking a good motherboard. I was attempting to base my list off the $900-1000 build in the OP.

You're looking good, but two suggestions:

1) Unless you're planning to crossfire with two video cards, you don't need a 750W PSU. You can come down to 550W and be fine. Save yourself $40.

2) Take that money that you saved with the PSU and upgrade your case. Get one made of rolled steal in the $60-80 bracket. HAF 912 or an Antec 300 or something.

Velion

Snuggler said:
OK, hopefully this will be my final question about parts, since I expect to be purchasing them from NewEgg tomorrow (!!!!), but I need to be sure I'm not making any mistakes.

1. Looking at these parts, are there any incompatibilities? I only ask because I've already made that mistake, and I've made some changes since it was fixed.

2. Will that case be OK? I just wanted something cheap but I have no idea how to determine what case fits with what parts.

DtpSz.png
Motherboard and CPU are 2 different sockets, Look for a AM3 Motherboard.

Fredescu

Snuggler said:
You've got an 1156 CPU with an AM3 motherboard. Will need to change one or the other.

Varna

Damn I hate when this happens to me. I have a strong urge to upgrade my GPU. I'm very happy with my performance now, but I'm just thinking about the future and I do want to upgrade to a 1080p monitor (on a 1680x1050 now) fairly soon.

I have a Evga SC'd 460GTX. Seems like the only step up for me right now is the 580GTX (I do want to stay with nvidia offerings)... is it worth it though?

scorcho said:
from my experience, anytime i've noticed stability issues with my or my friend's PCs, test like prime or memtest would bring it out in minutes, not hours.

you're probably fine unless you're hunting down a particular issue.

no, I'm not having any issues. I just thought it was something similar to a driver update. I haven't updated my BIOS since I bought the board (asus p55d-pro board) over a year ago.

TheExodu5

Banned
Varna said:
Damn I hate when this happens to me. I have a strong urge to upgrade my GPU. I'm very happy with my performance now, but I'm just thinking about the future and I do want to upgrade to a 1080p monitor (on a 1680x1050 now) fairly soon.

I have a Evga SC'd 460GTX. Seems like the only step up for me right now is the 580GTX (I do want to stay with nvidia offerings)... is it worth it though?

It's about a 70% increase in performance. Whether it's worth it or not depends solely on you.

Varna said:

Absolutely not. Wait until you actually need an upgrade and a bigger jump will be cheaper then.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Fredescu said:
You've got an 1156 CPU with an AM3 motherboard. Will need to change one or the other.

I see. I'm browsing the AM3 motherboards and there are a whole bunch of them. I choose one that was at a similar price to the ASRock I was going to buy.

Would this* be ok?

* ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ZZMitch said:
Can you explain to me what these are exactly? I searched google and couldnt really find anything...

Status Good
That's all your really need.
Each HDD maker has their own HDD testing software as well.
Roody said:

Looks fine to me.
If you could wait you'd get more for your dollar. PSU can be a Seasonic 520w if you dont want 2 GPU's down the line. That's all really.
Snuggler said:

DtpSz.png
Are you going AMD or Intel?
That's a P55 board for Intel.
Your CPU is an AMD 1090T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom