• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
mrklaw said:
I'm assuming thats a minimum spec. is there a recommended one? And how does that compare to Crysis 1?

well tbh, requirements within pcgaming seem to be such BS anyways, I mean the recommended requirements for crysis 1 was like c2d 2ghz, 2gb ram, and a 512 8800gts, and something tells me that didnt give you a good experience anyways.

Solo

Flambe said:
So not bad at all, 5000 reward points ($50ish) and free to/from shipping for the mobos, extended warranty.

But the reward points aren't valid on EVERYTHING, are they? It Appears that you have to pick from like 10 items, all of which are either junk or something you need way more than 5000 points to get. Or am I seeing things wrong and are the points valid on everything? Because Id love to get a free game out of it.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
mrklaw said:
I'm assuming thats a minimum spec. is there a recommended one? And how does that compare to Crysis 1?

Recommended specs: 3000$ PC!

If you're planning to upgrade, go get one of those i5 2500k and a GTX560 or 6950 and you'll be perfectly ready for a MAXIMUM EXPERIENCE.

Corky

SuperÑ said:

If you're planning to upgrade, go get one of those i5 2500k and a GTX560 or 6950 and you'll be perfectly ready for a MAXIMUM EXPERIENCE.

well let's not jump to conclusions, who knows if crysis 2 is going to be as "capable" as the first game.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
Corky said:
well let's not jump to conclusions, who knows if crysis 2 is going to be as "capable" as the first game.

I'm pretty sure graphic wise isn't going to be as demanding as the first game due to "consolization".

Corky said:
Guys help me settle this will ya.Imagine the following scenarios :

Two identical gpus -
Both indefinitely running the same game.

One runs it at 60fps locked with the help of v-sync/triplebuff
The other runs it uncapped at 600fps

Will one be more strained than the other? I.e will the one that is "working harder" inevitably die first?
WHAT!? are you talking about.

the 600fps would be working harder. the 60fps at most would run 180fps in that time frame. If the gpu can spit out that much fps it should be locked because the Hz of the monitor would never catch up and tearing would be everywhere.

CrankyJay

Banned
I hope NewEgg and other retailers try to entice some sales for other component by offering discounts/rebates while Intel sorts this out.

I can imagine places like this may see sales drop because people are holding off on ordering stuff.

TheExodu5

Banned
Krauser Kat said:
WHAT!? are you talking about.

the 600fps would be working harder. the 60fps at most would run 180fps in that time frame. If the gpu can spit out that much fps it should be locked because the Hz of the monitor would never catch up and tearing would be everywhere.
Actually, tearing is less obvious at a higher framerate. When the framerate is close to 60 is when tearing is very noticeable.

Also, if you're doing competitive fps gaming and require zero input lag, then you will have to play with vsync off.

Joe Molotov

SuperÑ said:
I'm pretty sure graphic wise isn't going to be as demanding as the first game due to "consolization".

It depends on how scalable the engine is. If the console versions use Low/Medium settings, then the high end might still require a lot of juice.

Raistlin

So ... a dilemma oh expert gaf. Having jumped on that $99 Crucual C300 deal I'm now experiencing some buyers remorse. While on its surface the SSD appears quite good, reading the details on their forums is giving me pause. It seems to have very good performance for 4k reads/writes, and will even take advantage of my SATA III/6GBs (my MoBo has an intel controller, which actually performs OK with the Crucual, unlike Marvell controllers). Unfortunately stability seems to be kind of shite with the current firmware, and Crucial has remained non-existent on their forums to discuss the problems. The FW is nearing 3 months old and not a word.

Needless to say, I'm considering going to what would seem like the next best pick at that price point - the OCZ Vertex 2 60GB. But here's the deal. Given that this is a SandForce-based SSD, RAID becomes a viable option due to the superior GC (link).

This brings me to my two main questions. 1) Does anyone have any negative experiences with the OCZ Vertex 2's that should give me pause? 2) Does anyone with SSD RAID experience have impressions of RAID 0 versus 1? Is the performance jump notable enough, or should I just simplify my life by having a mirror? I do plan to have back ups, but obviously re-imaging and the like takes a bit of time. So while I am capable of handling a failure I would rather go for stability if I'm not going to see much of a performance improvement anyway. If the performance increase is notable though, I'd certainly opt for striping.

iNvid02

Raistlin said:
So ... a dilemma oh expert gaf. Having jumped on that $99 Crucual C300 deal I'm now experiencing some buyers remorse. While on its surface the SSD appears quite good, reading the details on their forums is giving me pause. It seems to have very good performance for 4k reads/writes, and will even take advantage of my SATA III/6GBs (my MoBo has an intel controller, which actually performs OK with the Crucual, unlike Marvell controllers). Unfortunately stability seems to be kind of shite with the current firmware, and Crucial has remained non-existent on their forums to discuss the problems. The FW is nearing 3 months old and not a word.

Needless to say, I'm considering going to what would seem like the next best pick at that price point - the OCZ Vertex 2 60GB. But here's the deal. Given that this is a SandForce-based SSD, RAID becomes a viable option due to the superior GC (link).

This brings me to my two main questions. 1) Does anyone have any negative experiences with the OCZ Vertex 2's that should give me pause? 2) Does anyone with SSD RAID experience have impressions of RAID 0 versus 1? Is the performance jump notable enough, or should I just simplify my life by having a mirror? I do plan to have back ups, but obviously re-imaging and the like takes a bit of time. So while I am capable of handling a failure I would rather go for stability if I'm not going to see much of a performance improvement anyway. If the performance increase is notable though, I'd certainly opt for striping.

new c400 drives coming later this month, and new intel g3 drives as well. wait it out

Salaadin

Raistlin said:

No way, I have 2 c300s. I havent had any issues yet but I also never updated the firmware back in November. You think I should just keep what Im using? Am I screwed?

Corky

my gpus temps are at 72C max during 100% load. This is with overclock and running two of them in SLI, max temp is around 100-104C iirc. Is that enough headroom for 24/7 use?

Man, oh man. I was hoping to do my Sandy Bridge build sometime in the next 6 weeks. If it's late April/May before they get the fixed ones out, well, that sucks for me -- cause our second child is due in June and my gaming time will be pretty scarce after that!! I wish I already had the mobo so I could use it now and just participate in the recall later. Is it still possible to buy a p67 board anywhere?

comrade

SuperÑ said:

I've got that setup with a i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5ghz, 6950 overclocked with extra shaders unlocked and Crysis Warhead still doesn't run that great. I get 60fps in open areas but it still chugs in some spots. I'm hoping Crysis 2 is better optimized for quadcores.

Raistlin

iNvidious01 said:
new c400 drives coming later this month, and new intel g3 drives as well. wait it out
My computer parts are here, though maybe I can get by with an older HDD that's been laying around for now. Maybe that is a good approach. Though where did you hear later this month? Considering even current drives have some flaky FW out there, I do have concerns using a new gen as an OS drive though. I'm doubtful stability will be great at launch.

I still have my general question floating about however ... is RAID 0 worth it with SSD's for an OS? The long pole in an OS drive is going to be 4K reads/writes. Do they scale notably with RAID 0 like sequential reads/writes do?

Getting back to my specific dilemma (assuming I don't just hold out entirely), what I didn't realize about the Crucial was how poor the 4K writes were in the 64GB model. The 256GB is the performance SSD to beat - not so at the smaller sizes. The OCZ, even at 60GB, has very good 4K writes. 50,000 IOPS.

Salaadin said:
No way, I have 2 c300s. I havent had any issues yet but I also never updated the firmware back in November. You think I should just keep what Im using? Am I screwed?
From some of the posters over at their forum, sounds like staying with 002 FW is probably the best bet right now. Unfortunately the current drives ship with the new FW (006) ... so I'm kind of hosed.

Side question ... what are you doing with the 2 c300's? RAID 0 or 1? Did you compare single disc performance? What size drives are they?

Mr. Hyde

cgk0M.png

My parents asked me to find or build a pc for them around the price of $500.00 for every day usage. This is what I came up with. Anything I should change or add?

undu

I'd get a 430W PSU, the one you have in there is overkill.
And get a discrete card or switch to an H55 motherboard, the P55 chipset doesn't support integrated graphics.

Shambles

Mr. Hyde said:
My parents asked me to find or build a pc for them around the price of $500.00 for every day usage. This is what I came up with. Anything I should change or add?

That PSU is massive overkill for a basic build. For a mom and pop I'd just get a basic OEM looking case with a built in PSU that won't explode. Also for budget builds the AMD lineup is still the way to go. The Phenom II X4 840 is jus releasing for a quad core Phenom II part at just above 100$ it's the far better choice.

Mr. Hyde

Shambles said:
That PSU is massive overkill for a basic build. For a mom and pop I'd just get a basic OEM looking case with a built in PSU that won't explode. Also for budget builds the AMD lineup is still the way to go. The Phenom II X4 840 is jus releasing for a quad core Phenom II part at just above 100$ it's the far better choice.

That is good advice. I don't see the 840 on newegg yet, so I will check elsewhere for that piece. Do you know of a good case that comes with a PSU?

Shambles

Mr. Hyde said:
That is good advice. I don't see the 840 on newegg yet, so I will check elsewhere for that piece. Do you know of a good case that comes with a PSU?

Looking at newegg right now this APEX case for 40$ + shipping that is a mATX case with a 300W PSU. They might enjoy the smaller case and the power supply is far more than an integrated budget needs. I've run Athlon II x4 builds on ancient 185W PSUs without a problem (albeit I replaced it with a CX430 that I got for 10$ during sales).

11-154-052-01.jpg

Or for a mid ATX size case there are some Foxconn cases such as this one. To get a better idea of what's out there in the 40-60$ price range for case+PSU use neweggs guided search. These aren't necessarily the absolute best choices but at first glance they are the most popular.

Salaadin

Raistlin said:
From some of the posters over at their forum, sounds like staying with 002 FW is probably the best bet right now. Unfortunately the current drives ship with the new FW (006) ... so I'm kind of hosed.

Side question ... what are you doing with the 2 c300's? RAID 0 or 1? Did you compare single disc performance? What size drives are they?

Thanks.

To answer you, One is my OS drive. I got the other one to install an MMO (FFXIV) on and I wanted to save space on the OS drive. I never did any comparisons between the two or anything like that. Theyre both 64GB drives.

Looking back, I kinda wish that i just got a 128GB+ drive or put my two into some kind of RAID setup. Its speedy now but once you get used to how fast it is, you start to think about how you can make it even faster. And thats right about where I am now.

Just typical newbie BS where I low ball things based on what I think I need and then some time passes and I realize that I want so much more.

Mr. Hyde

RiuSe.png

I haven't decided on AMD yet because the 840 is not at newegg, but I boosted the i3 to an i5 (Is this worth the extra $80.00?).

Mr. Hyde said:
http://i.imgur.com/RiuSe.png

I haven't decided on AMD yet because the 840 is not at newegg, but I boosted the i3 to an i5 (Is this worth the extra $80.00?).
i5 600s are not a good buy.

While the i3s and dual-core i5 Intels would be faster with single-threaded tasks, a $100 AMD is the way to go for added longevity and potential multitasking. That leaves you with the Athlon II X4 640/645, or newer Phenom II X4 840 (which supplants the 640/645 and is really just an Athlon, anyway). They'd likely be fine with on-board graphics from an 800-series mATX chipset that can easily handle HD flash, HD movies, etc. Otherwise, you may want to go with a very low-end discreet card.

Case wise, have a look at the $45 Antec 300 deal that Newegg has at the moment.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...129042&cm_re=antec_300-_-11-129-042-_-Product

Clean, unassuming, and better built than the majority of enclosures in its price class. Wouldn't look out of place in their den, living room, bedroom, etc.

Mr. Hyde

·feist· said:
i5 600s are not a good buy.

While the i3/i5 Intels would be faster with single-threaded tasks, a $100 AMD is the way to go for added longevity and potential multitasking. That leaves you with the Athlon II X4 640/645, or newer Phenom II X4 840 (which supplants the 640/645 and is really just an Athlon, anyway). They'd likely be fine with on-board graphics from an 800-series mATX chipset that can easily handle HD flash, HD movies, etc. Otherwise, you may want to go with a very low-end discreet card.

Case wise, have a look at the $45 Antec 300 deal that Newegg has at the moment.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...129042&cm_re=antec_300-_-11-129-042-_-Product

Clean, unassuming, and better built than the majority of enclosures in its price class. Wouldn't look out of place in their den, living room, bedroom, etc.

Are there any places selling the 840 yet? I don't have to buy it at Newegg, if it is found elsewhere. I do like that case. Thanks.

Edit: Do you know of a good motherboard for the amd? I know nothing about AMD, so I am a bit out of the loop on those.

mclaren777

mclaren777 said:
I'm glad that I went with 8GB of RAM because my computer uses 2.2GB just browsing GAF on Chrome from a cold boot.
I just went into Run > msconfig > Startup and disabled some stuff I don't frequently use (iTunes, Acrobat, etc) so now I'm down to 1.6GB browsing GAF on Chrome from a cold boot.

Mr. Hyde

hTWAY.png

If I don't wait for the 840 (They want a new pc within the next week or two), would that AMD chip be good enough? I think the motherboard is probably overkill, but it's highly rated and has USB 3.0. My father reads about USB 3.0 and decides he wants it...

Edit: Well. I called him and he said he can wait a month on the newer chip, if it's better.

Mr. Hyde said:
http://i.imgur.com/hTWAY.png

If I don't wait for the 840 (They want a new pc within the next week or two), would that AMD chip be good enough? I think the motherboard is probably overkill, but it's highly rated and has USB 3.0. My father reads about USB 3.0 and decides he wants it...
An 890 would be overkill, but a USB3 + SATA3-equipped 880 is a solid choice. You could do away with SATA3 and save a few dollars, though it's nice to have in case you ever want to buy an inexpensive SSD for them at some point.

The Asus is a good choice, these 3 may also be worth checking out:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130308
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128445
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130562

ASRock and Biostar also make decent low-cost boards, but I didn't happen to notice any with similar features.

I have no idea what's going on with the PII X4 840. It was announced over a month ago, has been listed on Amazon for a bit, and still only seems to come in OEM applications. IIRC, it's even built on two different dies, and there wouldn't be any yield issues. AMD may be looking to sell-through some more Athlon stock before making it readily-available.

May have been nice if you had the option of waiting to buy a low end AM3+ board that offered future CPU upgrade potential. Unfortunately, those won't be on sale for a few months still.

Just noticed your edit. That could definitely be beneficial.

rocK`

Banned
Fredescu said:
The 2500K if you're ok without hyperthreading. If not, just wait for them to come back into stock I guess.

No. I don't think you understand, the whole Sandy Bridge line was discontinued and am looking for a processor of equal power/value.

Raistlin

rocK` said:
No. I don't think you understand, the whole Sandy Bridge line was discontinued and am looking for a processor of equal power/value.
It has not been discontinued, it's been delayed. Motherboards with fixed SATA II controllers will be hitting in April. Or are you implying you can't wait until then?

rocK`

Banned
Raistlin said:
It has not been discontinued, it's been delayed. Motherboards with fixed SATA II controllers will be hitting in April. Or are you implying you can't wait until then?

Yup, that's what I'm implying/saying.

Fredescu

rocK` said:
Wow. No. The chipset has some problems so they're recalling motherboards based on it. No one knows a timeline for when "fixed" boards will be available so you'll just have to wait. There is absolutely no equivalent.

rocK` said:
Anything else you get will be a downgrade. If you can luck into someone selling a current motherboard and deal with the chance of a failure down the line, you could do that. Otherwise it's either wait or downgrade.

comrade

rocK` said:
If you really can't wait I'd get an i7 950. Overclocks to 4+ ghz with proper cooling and has hyper threading. Uses the dying 1366 socket though but could easily last you a few years. Processor is $200 at microcenter.

Shambles

Mr. Hyde said:

Edit: Well. I called him and he said he can wait a month on the newer chip, if it's better.

I'm surprised NE doesn't have the 840. It was released in the first week of January so it should be available by now. North of the border I see that NCIX has it over priced but at least has it. I assume you're in the USA? I hear good things about micro center down there. They might have it in stock. At this point I think USB 3.0 is a must have. I also try to put SATA3 on builds as well but realistically you're only going to use it if you buy a SSD down the road whereas everyone will end up making use of USB3. Even with the Antec 300 deal it ends up being a lot more than a cheap case with an attached PSU. The 300 is definitely MUCH nicer than any of the Apex type cases i pointed you towards earlier but for your parents will they care about build quality, or about cost and size of the case more. The 300 is just a mid tower but it's still substantially larger than what most people used to OEM machines have.

So I bought this motherboard to build my PC with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131651

When it came I put all the pieces together and when I booted it up for the first time I got no signal to my monitor. I thought it was a videocard problem but a friend put my card in his machine and it worked, so I figured it must've been a motherboard problem.

I RMA'd the motherboard and the new (identical) one came back today. I put all the pieces together again and I got THE SAME FUCKING PROBLEM.

Is it possible I got 2 bum motherboards in a row? What is this shit? Is there something I'm missing?

Does anyone make a desktop like box that will allow me to plug in USB and Firewire cables from the rear ports of my computers so I can then plug my portable drives and such right my desk instead of having to lay the things on the floor or on top of the computer?

Does that make sense what I'm asking for?

I know I can get a front panel for my computers that let me access ports that way but, I'd much prefer a box that I can sit on my desk and just run extension cables from the rear of my computers into it. I just don't know if anyone makes anything like that or what it would be called if they do.

Quake1028

My new PC keeps beeping at me. Something is wrong but I cannot tell what. Everything seems to be fine, temps are fine, etc. In the mobo manual it says constant short beeps are a power problem. It does it for about the first 5 minutes it's turned on and then stops. I am at my wits end. I don't know if I should unplug everything from the mobo and start fresh or what.

Stink

Gloomfire said:
My new PC keeps beeping at me. Something is wrong but I cannot tell what. Everything seems to be fine, temps are fine, etc. In the mobo manual it says constant short beeps are a power problem. It does it for about the first 5 minutes it's turned on and then stops. I am at my wits end. I don't know if I should unplug everything from the mobo and start fresh or what.

I had these symptoms once and it turned out to be a warning that the system fan wasn't running - the PC simply wasn't up to a temperature that would get it to fire up until a few minutes after boot.

Dynamic3

Ok so I bought a 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (for $169.99 after rebates) but now have no board to use or test it on.

If new boards aren't hitting the market until April at the earliest, should I return it in anticipation of newer drives launching and/or my drive being doa and beyond the 21-day return period (newegg made an exception for me)?

Dynamic3 said:
Ok so I bought a 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (for $169.99 after rebates) but now have no board to use or test it on.

If new boards aren't hitting the market until April at the earliest, should I return it in anticipation of newer drives launching and/or my drive being doa and beyond the 21-day return period (newegg made an exception for me)?

yep

OKAY SO

I think my problem is RAM related. The motherboard in my above post has a specific list of compatibility, the RAM I bought was not on that list.

Whoever put together last month's ~$700 budget build needs to fact check their shit (I do to, but I trusted GAF more because it seems like something that wouldn't be overlooked).

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
xero273 said:
I got the 2tb samsung spinpoint drive. the model is hd204ui. I know I have to flash the firmware. So I checked samsung's site and found two different firmware. Which one do I use?

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/faqView.do?b2b_bbs_msg_id=387
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/faqView.do?b2b_bbs_msg_id=386

Both of them are for the hd204ui. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it's the A37, Unless you got it from Japan which i'm guessing is what the JP stands for. I could be wrong but every other guide and information i've seen suggests it's the A37 bios.

I need to get around and do these for both of my drives as well, I'm way too lazy.

Some extra information here if you want to read it all before going ahead with it. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1597038

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom