• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snuggler said:
I see. I'm browsing the AM3 motherboards and there are a whole bunch of them. I choose one that was at a similar price to the ASRock I was going to buy.

Would this* be ok?

* ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

That's a Micro ATX motherboard. Your probably better off going with just a regular ATX motherboard

TheExodu5

Banned
If you're never putting more than 1 HDD on, don't even consider AMD. At that pricerange, the only reason to get AMD right now is if you can't wait until March/April for the fixed P55 motherboards.

Varna said:
Damn I hate when this happens to me. I have a strong urge to upgrade my GPU. I'm very happy with my performance now, but I'm just thinking about the future and I do want to upgrade to a 1080p monitor (on a 1680x1050 now) fairly soon.

I have a Evga SC'd 460GTX. Seems like the only step up for me right now is the 580GTX (I do want to stay with nvidia offerings)... is it worth it though?

well I went from an gtx 260 SLI to a gtx 580 set-up and I had a lot gains on games like just cause 2, mafia 2 and metro 2033 not to mention crysis (90 frames with 16x AA @ 1920x1200)
thats just to give you an idea.
however, you are on a single card and already have a card thats is a much better performer (460) than my old 260 so unless you plan to upgrade your monitor further (1920x1080 and beyond) i don't see the point. although you'd be set with that 580 for a good long while.

Roody

Neo Member
keeblerdrow said:
You're looking good, but two suggestions:

1) Unless you're planning to crossfire with two video cards, you don't need a 750W PSU. You can come down to 550W and be fine. Save yourself $40.

2) Take that money that you saved with the PSU and upgrade your case. Get one made of rolled steal in the $60-80 bracket. HAF 912 or an Antec 300 or something.
Sounds good to me. Thanks for the advice!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hazaro said:
Are you going AMD or Intel?
That's a P55 board for Intel.
Your CPU is an AMD 1090T

I was going Intel but that plan was ruined when the Sandy Bridge was pulled out of my cart thanks to the recall.

I think I have the correct type of board now, though.

That's a Micro ATX motherboard. Your probably better off going with just a regular ATX motherboard

Thanks. Switched to this one.

This stuff is very complicated for me.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
DrBaalzamon said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...186038&cm_re=arctic_mx-_-35-186-038-_-Product

This stuff right? Hrm, locally at Microcenter they only have MX3. I guess I'll order this and put the 212+ on with the stock stuff then swap it out later. That sound alright?
I wouldn't pay more than $8 for paste. The stuff the 212 comes with is fine.
If you want more in case of backup thats fine though.
Snuggler said:
I was going Intel but that plan was ruined when the Sandy Bridge was pulled out of my cart thanks to the recall.

I think I have the correct type of board now, though.

Thanks. Switched to this one.

This stuff is very complicated for me.
For a normal build I'd get an ASUS / MSI / ASRock with x6 support (most have this), and USB 3.0
If you want a SSD later SATA6gbps is also a plus.

But honestly you are only $50 from an i5 and I'd just get an i5-760 + a UD3 or ASUS board.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hazaro said:
But honestly you are only $50 from an i5 and I'd just get an i5-760 + a UD3 or ASUS board.

Appreciate the advice. Without GAF, I would be so lost with this stuff.

Looks like I can choose the Core i5 Quad-Core instead as well as this ASRock motherboard and it'll only cost me an extra 5 dollars.

So excited to put this fucker together.

Shambles

Hazaro said:
I wouldn't pay more than $8 for paste. The stuff the 212 comes with is fine.
If you want more in case of backup thats fine though.

For a normal build I'd get an ASUS / MSI / ASRock with x6 support (most have this), and USB 3.0
If you want a SSD later SATA6gbps is also a plus.

To look at it the other way though 50$ is a very large price jump for a PC component and one where most average users and gamers won't notice any difference at all. That being said the 750/760 are beauties and until SNB hit were the defacto choice at that price point expect for the few who wanted AMDs hex cores for transcoding type tasks. So don't feel like they are a bad choice but be aware that for those on tight budgets moving down to a 110$ Phenom II X4 is a great choice as well, and those who have extra money on hand can feel free to jump into the i5's.

SolidPain

Neo Member
This might be a bit unrelated to the general discussions here, but seeing that I can't open a thread yet, this is the most appropriate place to ask.

I want to install an Nvidia card (gt 430) on my windows 7 x64 system which already has a Radeon card (5870, might be relevant), because I want to program in CUDA. I believe this is possible as I have seen hints about it on the web, but no clear instructions/guides as to how to do it.

Can anybody give me a clear step by step guide on the order of things to do? Like say, removing drivers first, installing first hardware, second hardware... and what versions of the drivers ATI/AMD side and Nvidia side support this... I want to know all about it.

So if anybody has tried and succeeded, please let me know how you did it, any help would be appreciated.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pain I can't help you on CUDA but I'm sure some people on anandtech or [H] or guru3d can help you.
Shambles said:
To look at it the other way though 50$ is a very large price jump for a PC component and one where most average users and gamers won't notice any difference at all. That being said the 750/760 are beauties and until SNB hit were the defacto choice at that price point expect for the few who wanted AMDs hex cores for transcoding type tasks. So don't feel like they are a bad choice but be aware that for those on tight budgets moving down to a 110$ Phenom II X4 is a great choice as well, and those who have extra money on hand can feel free to jump into the i5's.
His budget easily lets him get the i5 so it's not a big deal.

x4 is in budget for op
SB replaced the i5

x6 isn't even always faster in some encoding applications. It's a niche chip for people who want AMD or bought a board that can use a hexa-core. I've gone back and forth on this and soundly settled on the i5 as the better overall/gaming/emulation chip for the price.

Stink

Hazaro said:
Pain I can't help you on CUDA but I'm sure some people on anandtech or [H] or guru3d can help you.
His budget easily lets him get the i5 so it's not a big deal.

x4 is in budget for op
SB replaced the i5

x6 isn't even always faster in some encoding applications. It's a niche chip for people who want AMD or bought a board that can use a hexa-core. I've gone back and forth on this and soundly settled on the i5 as the better overall/gaming/emulation chip for the price.

I'd agree with this. My board is an AM2+ limited to 95W CPUs so when I upgraded to the x6 1055T it was a great bridging upgrade for me, it means I can wait for Ivy Bridge.

However if I was building afresh now I'd wait for the fixed sandy bridge. It'll be well worth it.

rossonero

My brother has a stock e6600 with a 8800 GTS and 2gb ram. What would be his cheapest upgrade road? I'm thinking Hyper 212+ to overclock, 2 gb more ram and a 5770 or 5850, but the latter would maybe be over kill especially since he plays on a 1600x1050 resolution.

Hyper costs something like $25, 5770 is $93 and ram is around $50 so an upgrade for $168 total would be pretty good no?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
For Battlefield 3, is it worth upgrading from a GTX260 to a GTX560 Ti now, or should I wait until closer to its release? I am not really having performance issues with BC2 or any other game, but I know things could be better.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DenogginizerOS said:
For Battlefield 3, is it worth upgrading from a GTX260 to a GTX560 Ti now, or should I wait until closer to its release? I am not really having performance issues with BC2 or any other game, but I know things could be better.

isn't it coming out in May? I think only the new 6990 is planned before then. There might be price adjustments as stock becomes more readily available, but personally I wouldn't want to wait until the last moment - I'd want it installed and bedded down nicely (and perhaps overclocked) ready for when the game hits. So you could probably wait a couple of months to see if prices soften

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
mrklaw said:
isn't it coming out in May? I think only the new 6990 is planned before then. There might be price adjustments as stock becomes more readily available, but personally I wouldn't want to wait until the last moment - I'd want it installed and bedded down nicely (and perhaps overclocked) ready for when the game hits. So you could probably wait a couple of months to see if prices soften
I am guessing the Beta will be out in the Spring so yeah, sooner is better. I will probably wait to see what the SSC and FTW cards from EVGA look like before I jump in.

RedSwirl

We can talk about simple upgrade jobs in this thread too right?

Within a month here I think I'll be making the final decision on getting a new GPU to replace my 8800GT.

Specs:
Dell XPS 420 (store-bought, need to find case dimensions)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
GeForce 8800GT 512
3GB RAM
1440 x 900 screen
425w PSU
Windows Vista 32bit (Will upgrade to Win7 64bit soon)
I can't overclock this system. Upgrading the CPU would basically mean getting a new system entirely.

Price Range: sub-$300 if possible for the GPU and PSU combined. United States.

Need to Run:
Crysis 2
Witcher 2
(Possibly) Dragon Age 2
Portal 2
Deux Ex Human Revolution
(Possibly) Battlefield 3
Need Better Performance On:
Crysis
ArmA II
Bad Company 2
GTA IV

The two candidates I'm looking at are the GTX 460 and the Radeon HD 6850 (which I heard was more powerful than the 460 but required less power).

I probably won't be able to upgrade to anything like a 1080p screen until later in the year, so how much of an improvement would I see on a 1440 x 900 screen? How much will the CPU hold it back if I can't upgrade or overclock it at all? My other main concern is figuring out which cards would actually fit in my current case. How can I look up case dimensions for the XPS 420?

According to my measurements, my space has room for a video card in about the following dimensions:

Length: 10"
Width: 4.5"
Thickness: either 1.75" or 4" depending.

I could be wrong though. Some areas are thicker than others and I don't know if other cards maintain the same shape throughout.

My current 8800gt is 9" long, around 4.5" wide, and half and inch thick.

iNvid02

Sniper McBlaze said:
I know some of you guys tried to talk me out getting SLI, but the amount of performance per dollar is awesome according to an article I read.

How does this rig look: http://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/177184/ultimate-kop ?

Are all the parts gonna work? I'm aware of the SB troubles, but I get a guaranty that I can exchange it if I experience any troubles.

Is the cooling enough?

if your not overclocking at all you could get away with a 600psu.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sniper McBlaze said:
You sure? I'm getting two of those babies and they are already overclocked as hell.

I'm pretty certain you need more than a 600 psu, sli 560s should require atleast a decent 650w + psu I reckon.

Shambles said:
Memory compatability lists mean very little. Either RAM will work or it won't. If you think your memory is faulty run memtest to check for errors. If you can't even make it to the boot menu consult your motherboard manual for the meaning of any beeps that you hear. Make sure you have both the 24PIN and 4/8PIN power connectors attached on the motherboard.

I never made it to the boot menu, I would never even get a video signal. The videocard wasn't broken because it worked in another machine. I never got any beeps either, maybe because I had no speakers plugged in yet? I'm pretty sure all the power connectors were attached as all the fans came on (case fan, heatsink, GPU) and I got the steady green light on the motherboard.

I've sent the RAM back and am going to buy a different brand to see what happens.

iNvid02

Sniper McBlaze said:
You sure? I'm getting two of those babies and they are already overclocked as hell.

i thought they were regular 560s.

2 of them take around 300w. add in 200w for everything else.

Velion

RedSwirl said:
We can talk about simple upgrade jobs in this thread too right?

Within a month here I think I'll be making the final decision on getting a new GPU to replace my 8800GT.

Specs:
Dell XPS 420 (store-bought, need to find case dimensions)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
GeForce 8800GT 512
3GB RAM
1440 x 900 screen
240v Max PSU
Windows Vista 32bit (Will upgrade to Win7 64bit soon)
I can't overclock this system. Upgrading the CPU would basically mean getting a new system entirely.

Price Range: sub-$300 if possible for the GPU and PSU combined. United States.

Need to Run:
Crysis 2
Witcher 2
(Possibly) Dragon Age 2
Portal 2
Deux Ex Human Revolution
(Possibly) Battlefield 3
Need Better Performance On:
Crysis
ArmA II
Bad Company 2
GTA IV

The two candidates I'm looking at are the GTX 460 and the Radeon HD 6850 (which I heard was more powerful than the 460 but required less power).

I probably won't be able to upgrade to anything like a 1080p screen until later in the year, so how much of an improvement would I see on a 1440 x 900 screen? How much will the CPU hold it back if I can't upgrade or overclock it at all? My other main concern is figuring out which cards would actually fit in my current case. How can I look up case dimensions for the XPS 420?

According to my measurements, my space has room for a video card in about the following dimensions:

Length: 10"
Width: 4.5"
Thickness: either 1.75" or 4" depending.

I could be wrong though. Some areas are thicker than others and I don't know if other cards maintain the same shape throughout.

My current 8800gt is 9" long, around 4.5" wide, and half and inch thick.

MSI Hawk GTX 460
and
Seasonic 520w 80+ bronze 41amp
or
Corsair 650TX

Since you can't OC your CPU there's really no reason to go any higher imo.

Kenka

I am in the same case.

I am looking for an efficient way to replace my stuff with new elements and I am wondering if changing my CPU, my GPU and my mother board (and having the rest untouched) would be a wise move. I change those three essentially because I don't wanna spend much money but I wonder if changing the rest would be obligatory.

Specs

Aspire M3641
Intel Dual Core E5200
GeForce 9800GT 512
4GB RAM
1680 x 1050 screen
240v Max PSU
Win7 64bit

And I am having a good price for a Sandy Bridge 2500k processor, a Motherboard ASUS P7H55D-M EVO and a eVGA GeForce GTX460 SuperClocked EE - 1 GB.

My motherboard is supposedly a Socket 1156 and should accept the CPU. Is it smart from me to focus solely on those three components and leave the rest as it is ? Thanks much in advance.

n0n44m

Kenka said:
And I am having a good price for a Sandy Bridge 2500k processor, a Motherboard ASUS P7H55D-M EVO and a eVGA GeForce GTX460 SuperClocked EE - 1 GB.

My motherboard is supposedly a Socket 1156 and should accept the CPU. Is it smart from me to focus solely on those three components and leave the rest as it is ? Thanks much in advance.

no it won't , you need a socket 1155 board for the Sandy Bridge cpu

TheExodu5 said:
Maybe a review.

There you are, man! I put together a new computer for myself after I read about the 560 cards. I know you don't recommend SLI, but I get alot of bang for the buck and want to try it out.

Is my package looking ok?

TheExodu5

Banned
Sniper McBlaze said:
There you are, man! I put together a new computer for myself after I read about the 560 cards. I know you don't recommend SLI, but I get alot of bang for the buck and want to try it out.

Is my package looking ok?

Looks perfect to me.

Are you aware you're buying a 3D ready monitor? Are you getting NVidia 3D vision?

Shambles

WyndhamPrice said:
I never made it to the boot menu, I would never even get a video signal. The videocard wasn't broken because it worked in another machine. I never got any beeps either, maybe because I had no speakers plugged in yet? I'm pretty sure all the power connectors were attached as all the fans came on (case fan, heatsink, GPU) and I got the steady green light on the motherboard.

I've sent the RAM back and am going to buy a different brand to see what happens.

Just to double check I want to make sure that you plugged in both both power connections on the motherboard. Sometimes people only notice the large 24 pin connection that you plug into the motherboard but forget there is a 2nd place you have to plug in power on the motherboard for the CPU. The CPU power connection is either a 4 or 8 pin smaller connection usually near the CPU socket. As far as motherboard beeps go the beeps come from the motherboard itself not speakers so if you didn't hear any it didn't even make it far enough to report any errors while trying to power on which makes me suspicious about the CPU power connection.

RedSwirl said:
I was told elsewhere that I'll need 650w minimum. I don't even know what my current wattage is, and are all PSUs the same size? how Will I know if that will fit?

Either way a 240W PSU probably isn't going to cut it which means a PSU replacement. And since it's a Dell you're going to have to check if you can even use a standard ATX PSU with it since it may not work. The physical size could be different or the pinouts could be non-standard as well. They used to even run the voltage on the wiring wrong about 10 years ago but I don't think they've gone back to that since then after so many people started burning out computers. Trying to upgrade an OEM machine tends to be a pain in the ass because the manufacturer doesn't want you to upgrade, they want you to buy a whole new machine from them. This is why we're usually so anal about getting people to build for themselves in here. That being said it's been a while since I've dug around in a Dell machine so I don't know how they do things now, only how they did things 5 years ago. I'll be passing off my parts to the woman later this year but she wants to still use her Dell case so i'm looking forward to ripping everything out and then finding out they're usuing something non-standard after I started putting components back in :p

TheExodu5 said:
Looks perfect to me.

Are you aware you're buying a 3D ready monitor? Are you getting NVidia 3D vision?

Cool!

Well, it's a 120hz monitor and I from what I heard it would be better for me since I'm buying a powerful computer and a 60hz monitor can only show 60 fps.

Shambles said:
Just to double check I want to make sure that you plugged in both both power connections on the motherboard. Sometimes people only notice the large 24 pin connection that you plug into the motherboard but forget there is a 2nd place you have to plug in power on the motherboard for the CPU. The CPU power connection is either a 4 or 8 pin smaller connection usually near the CPU socket. As far as motherboard beeps go the beeps come from the motherboard itself not speakers so if you didn't hear any it didn't even make it far enough to report any errors while trying to power on which makes me suspicious about the CPU power connection.

XuKMgoNOVISnmyJe_500.jpg

Do you mean where it says 140W CPU Support? That's where I plugged in the heatsink fan. Or perhaps you mean the square power connection above that one? I think that's just an ATX thing.

garath

For as low as $130 after rebate, it's hard to ignore these GTX460 cards.

My system right now is:

E6600 core2duo
6 gigs ram
GTX260

I run a 1680x1050 resolution. I don't really have many issues with current games but again, $130 is really really low.

What's the opinion? Is it worth the upgrade? I'll move to a sandy bridge setup eventually but as kind of an impulse quick upgrade is that a decent step?

Shambles

There should be connections from the power supply to these two locations:

29copb5.jpg

garath said:

My system right now is:

E6600 core2duo
6 gigs ram
GTX260

I run a 1680x1050 resolution. I don't really have many issues with current games but again, $130 is really really low.

What's the opinion? Is it worth the upgrade? I'll move to a sandy bridge setup eventually but as kind of an impulse quick upgrade is that a decent step?

I like to wait until it hurts if I don't upgrade. If you can get by alright with what you have now you'll end up getting more for your money when you move to SB. Of course you can wait endlessly and always get something better but personally I like to wait until I get annoyed with my performance to the point where I don't care about spending the money. Right now i'm running a 4870 and starting to get to the same point as you where an upgrade would be nice but really I'm doing just fine for the time being so I'm waiting until I do a full system upgrade. Up to you though, some people have the money to upgrade as soon as every new GPU hits the market that beats the old leader.

TheExodu5

Banned
garath said:

My system right now is:

E6600 core2duo
6 gigs ram
GTX260

You're going to be limited by that CPU in quite a few games already.

GTX 460 is really not that big of an upgrade over the GTX 260. I would save up for a more worthwhile upgrade like a GTX 560 or Radeon 6950.

RedSwirl

TheExodu5 said:
You're going to be limited by that CPU in quite a few games already.

GTX 460 is really not that big of an upgrade over the GTX 260. I would save up for a more worthwhile upgrade like a GTX 560 or Radeon 6950.

How big of an upgrade is it over an 8800 (with a Quad Core)? Will I notice much of a difference on a sub-1080p screen?

RedSwirl

Shambles said:
Either way a 240W PSU probably isn't going to cut it which means a PSU replacement. And since it's a Dell you're going to have to check if you can even use a standard ATX PSU with it since it may not work. The physical size could be different or the pinouts could be non-standard as well. They used to even run the voltage on the wiring wrong about 10 years ago but I don't think they've gone back to that since then after so many people started burning out computers. Trying to upgrade an OEM machine tends to be a pain in the ass because the manufacturer doesn't want you to upgrade, they want you to buy a whole new machine from them. This is why we're usually so anal about getting people to build for themselves in here. That being said it's been a while since I've dug around in a Dell machine so I don't know how they do things now, only how they did things 5 years ago. I'll be passing off my parts to the woman later this year but she wants to still use her Dell case so i'm looking forward to ripping everything out and then finding out they're usuing something non-standard after I started putting components back in :p

I just checked again at a photo I took a while ago. My PSU is actually 425w. If I show you guys the photo how much would you be able to tell from the registration stickers?

Is there a way to look up what PSU comes standard with the XPS 420?

RedSwirl

TheExodu5 said:
The 1GB GTX 460 is about double the speed of an 8800GT. Pretty massive upgrade.

Framerate improvement, or just the room to use more effects on the games I described above?

has anyone posted the microcenter email yet?
"Please be assured that Micro Center will stand behind every customer who
purchased a system or a motherboard from us that features this chipset.
Intel has already made the necessary change in the manufacturing process
to correct the error, and properly functioning replacements will be available
in approximately 8 weeks.

To minimize the disruption to you, we suggest that you continue to use your
system until replacement parts are available. At that time, we will contact
you with instructions regarding how to get your motherboard replaced or your
system repaired"

Pretty great, i really dont want put it all back together though.

Shambles

RedSwirl said:
I just checked again at a photo I took a while ago. My PSU is actually 425w. If I show you guys the photo how much would you be able to tell from the registration stickers?

Is there a way to look up what PSU comes standard with the XPS 420?

You should be fine then. You'll just have to compare PCIE power connections. A 6850 needs 1 6pin power connection, a GTX 460 1GB uses 2. If you're short one 6pin you can use a molex to 6 pin adapter as long as you have 2 free molex connections.

Anyone see this Slickdeals NewEgg combo deal:

AMD Athlon II X4/ASUS mobo/4GB ram/1TB HD/DVD drive/case+PS for $279 MIR

How does it compare to my current gaming PC (ignoring the GPU):

-AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor
-GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P Motherboard
-CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3
-Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
-LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS122-04
-GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
-Thermaltake W0093RU 500W Power Supply and NZXT Black Computer Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom