• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I have somehow collected 3 Western Digital external hard drives over the years (400 GB, 640 GB, 1.5 TB). I use them for redundant back-up purposes and media storage.

I'm thinking about cracking one of these externals open and adding the HD to my computer. Is that a good idea or should I just leave them as externals? I use them maybe once a month at the most, and the rest of the time they sit in my closet. What's a good benchmarking program for hard drives so I can add the fastest one?

mclaren777

Big Baybee said:
Can someone recommend a computer desk?
This is what I use and I really like it, though if you have a large tower it might be a little tight. Just don't attach the right-most pillar for the CD stack and you can fit a decent computer under there (my 912 has an inch to spare on all sides).

Link

9CsGu.png

njean777 said:
Hey guys wanted to ask if I have a wireless 360 controller how do I hook it up to my gaming pc? What would I need.

MS wireless receiver is all you need....it's also the only way to as well.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
RedSwirl said:
If I post a pic of my PSU would it be advisable to black out bar codes and serial numbers and such?
Doesn't matter. You could give a model or RU / UR number too.
minx88 said:
Ok so something went wrong with my 8800GTX. My computer would turn on and then the display would be full of swiggly red lines all over the screen. I tried taking it out anne putting it back in the pci slot but the same thing occurred. I went to Best Buy to buy a cheap video card to see if it was the video cards fault. I bought a Radeon 4550 1GB for $60. I was surprised at how small it was compared to the 8800GTX. Everything works fine now.

1st question. What went wrong with my 8800? It is done for? It is still worth anything if I sell it somewhere?

2nd question. I know my 8800 was the best of the best back in 2007 when I bought it. But how does the Radeon 4500 compare 3 years later? I'm not into PC gaming anymore but I have no clue how the two compare.
8800GTX takes your 4550 around back and beats it up after school everyday.
Your 8800GTX has died. If there's a warranty send it in. Otherwise you can sell it to people who will stick it in an oven and hope it works again.

Get a GTX 460 for value or a 560 / 6950.

The HIS and Saphire reference 6950s are $260 each after MIR right now. I'm wondering if I should have a preference at all, or what the likelihood of unlocking them are.

TheExodu5

Banned
I got this desk for $100 at Walmart 5 years ago. It's still there, last I checked.

tv.jpg

I love having a desk with a big wing like that since it's so comfortable to be able to rest your mouse arm on the wing. No carpal tunnel here. :)

(not in the best shape after 5 years though :p)

DeadTrees

Big Baybee said:
Can someone recommend a computer desk? I must be looking in all the wrong places because everything I've seen is either ugly or a flimsy piece of shit.
What's your budget? If you're feeling spendy, visit a store that sells Herman Miller chairs.

<--can vouch for the Biomorph Exo, FWIW.

vocab

Schmattakopf said:
The HIS and Saphire reference 6950s are $260 each after MIR right now. I'm wondering if I should have a preference at all, or what the likelihood of unlocking them are.

HIS have higher success of unlocking according to the techpowerup chart. There's better flashing methods than there used to be. You can use your own bios, and edit it, the old method was downloading some other bios from a different vendor.

Osietra

Banned
Could anyone answer this query please?

I currently have an asus rampage x48 motherboard, but since it doesn't seem to be compatible with the latest i7 processors if I were to upgrade would I still be able to use my 4870 card with it? Or would I just have to bite the bullet and swap all three for newer models?

yeah, I guess I could try to bump the power for the processor min up to like 85 just in case? As far as sleep mode haha of course I've checked all of that ...
I'll try that; That is if the display will stay on long enough to let me try =(

ughh.. just went out on me when i exited the safety of a game pause screen. lol she has to keep plants vs. zombies up in order to keep it on =(

antonz

Osietra said:
Could anyone answer this query please?

I currently have an asus rampage x48 motherboard, but since it doesn't seem to be compatible with the latest i7 processors if I were to upgrade would I still be able to use my 4870 card with it? Or would I just have to bite the bullet and swap all three for newer models?

your video card should be just fine. The new processors are simply a new chip type is why the 1st gen I line doesnt work with them.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Planning out all the parts stresses me out - I have the time and energy but my brain just can't handle all the options and weird model names. can you guys just recommend me what to buy with a budget of $1,700 - $2,000 for a new rig?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
LiquidMetal14 said:
Gentlemen, I FINALLY ordered my parts after weeks of talking and asking some questions.

Please oblige me and tell me I did some good.....

GSKILL 8GB DDR3 1333 Newegg threw in a 2GB thumdrive with this so that was a nice bonus.

Samsung Spingpoint F3

LITE ON 24X DVD 48X CD WRITER

GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6950 2GB

Sandy Bridge 2500k

ASUS LGA 1155 - P67

All this was about 890 with 3 day shipping. If they end up shipping me the ASUS board, I will take the chances even if 3 of the ports die. I am probably gonna use the 6GB SATA ports anyways. I just hope I have no issues and everything posts correctly.
Looks good to me. Did you order the retail or OEM CPU? The OEM doesn't come with a cooler and I didn't see one on your list. Also a separate cooler is useful if you want to overclock.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Kodiak said:
Planning out all the parts stresses me out - I have the time and energy but my brain just can't handle all the options and weird model names. can you guys just recommend me what to buy with a budget of $1,700 - $2,000 for a new rig?
It does get a little crazy. But you could just literally copy hazaro's higher priced build in the first post, then just choose the case you want and maybe beef up the GPU if you want. Post your list on here for a double check - eg in case your case won't take a big GPU or something

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kodiak said:
Can you wait until Q3, if so that's a ton better.

If not... you will still have to wait and buy outdated tech (due to SB recall [faulty SATA ports]).
So it sucks either way!

OP updated with news.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hazaro, would it be possible to add a couple of different form factor cases to the OP? Things like HTPC and SFF cases may help encourage people who want to integrate their systems into their lounges etc and don't realise there are good options other than towers. Eg silverstone LC17 is a roughly AV receiver sized case that'll take full sized GPUs in SLI and has space for big coolers. Or the Sugo SG07 which is mini ITX and kind of a tall shoebox, yet you can squeeze in a big GPU

vocab said:
HIS have higher success of unlocking according to the techpowerup chart. There's better flashing methods than there used to be. You can use your own bios, and edit it, the old method was downloading some other bios from a different vendor.
Thanks, guess I'll go with HIS and hope for the best.

Now all that's left is the HDD... wish those Spinpoints would go on sale.

Looking to get a 6950/70 or two down the track. Is there a non-reference card on the market that's shorter than 27cm? I don't think my case will fit a normal one, and I don't really want to dremel a hole in it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
mrklaw said:
Hazaro, would it be possible to add a couple of different form factor cases to the OP? Things like HTPC and SFF cases may help encourage people who want to integrate their systems into their lounges etc and don't realise there are good options other than towers. Eg silverstone LC17 is a roughly AV receiver sized case that'll take full sized GPUs in SLI and has space for big coolers. Or the Sugo SG07 which is mini ITX and kind of a tall shoebox, yet you can squeeze in a big GPU
Feel free to add what specialty cases you want.
Just follow the format in the OP and use
I think​

bee

clocked this gtx 560 to 970/2150 and its very close to my old gtx 480 now, loving it. The only thing that ever pissed me off about the old gtx 480 was the dual screen idle temps, it would quite happily sit there doing nothing more than powering 2 screen with temps in the low 70's :s this card is at 44c :D

looking forward to getting the second card next week

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
mrklaw said:
Looks good to me. Did you order the retail or OEM CPU? The OEM doesn't come with a cooler and I didn't see one on your list. Also a separate cooler is useful if you want to overclock.
Hmmm, maybe I will order one too. Would you point me out to a not too expensive and large solution? I don't see anything OEM on that but I do intend to go a little higher on the clock speed.

And I guess I will order that Coolermaster fan and heatsink from the OP. I hope it fits in most ATX/Micro ATX cases and is not hard to install.

Hmmmm, maybe I will settle for a smaller fan. It seems too big and some said you have to take out the motherboard to install.

Ok update 3 lol. Upon watching the video, maybe I will go with that fan/heatsink but I am going to have to install it before even putting the MB in. I am still concerned about it fitting but if worse comes to worse, I will leave the side panel out until I figure out a solution

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ok so I went with the COOLERMASTER IN THE OP.

Thermal paste is included so I'm not really interested in spending more on novelty stuff. I guess a straight line is recommended when applying the paste? I'm sure the thing will come with instructions, I hope.

Do we have a thread about o/c'ing or is this it? I have an i7 920 and a ridiculous after market heatsink/fan, but I've not overclocked yet because overclocking confuses me now. I'm used to the days of dip switches. Yes, it's been that long since I've overclocked anything. Mock me openly if you wish.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
LiquidMetal14 said:
Ok so I went with the COOLERMASTER IN THE OP.

Thermal paste is included so I'm not really interested in spending more on novelty stuff. I guess a straight line is recommended when applying the paste? I'm sure the thing will come with instructions, I hope.

This was posted earlier, a lot of people have used the lines between the copper pipes method with the 212+.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...ask=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5

I'd give this video a watch before/while installing, since the instructions aren't the clearest...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSq_xbxsm7Q

rocK`

Banned
So, I can still get a 2600K + mobo from microcenter. Should I GAF? I want to build a new PC with that kind of line of processor.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any suggestions for something to put a keyboard/mouse on for use on my lap? My PC will be running through a 40" 1080p TV on a side table. No space to sit in front of it and I have no chair. Wondering about a beanbag or similar, not sure.

mrklaw said:
Any suggestions for something to put a keyboard/mouse on for use on my lap? My PC will be running through a 40" 1080p TV on a side table. No space to sit in front of it and I have no chair. Wondering about a beanbag or similar, not sure.

Have you considered something like the DiNovo mini or the dinovo edge? (Or do you want something for the key board also?

Edit: Skip that. I had assumed the pad on those keyboards was a full track pad.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Something for a full sized keyboard and mouse. I'll play with a controller as well, but some games and general use need kb&m. It's awkward because the Top of the TV is just below eye level when standing up. Fine for watching TV from the sofa but that's too far back for gaming (about 4m away at least)

coopolon

mrklaw said:

I used to use a keyboard tray from an old desk, but any flat piece of wood would serve the same purpose. I know other people keep their keyboard in their lap and put the mouse on a big book like a textbook of some kind by their side.

mclaren777

Zzoram said:
Is there any place with benchmarks of performance that focus on 1680x1050 and has 2-3 year old cars in the mix?
I usually just look for reviews of those older cards because sites place them in context with their peers.

TheExodu5

Banned
Zzoram said:
Is there any place with benchmarks of performance that focus on 1680x1050 and has 2-3 year old cars in the mix?

Usually you can just use relative comparisons.

If you want to compare an 8800GT to a GTX 560, you can compare an 8800GT to a GTX 275, a GTX 275 to a GTX 460, and then a GTX 460 to a GTX 560.

Techpowerup does include quite a few cards in their benchmarks. One example:

perfrel_1680.gif

Shambles

CrocMother said:
The processor for the $1000 build in the original post is out of stock at newegg.

Is there a certainty that this is temporary?

All sandy bridge CPUs and Motherboards have been pulled from the shells because of a design flaw. It will probably be at least a month before we see fixed parts again.

MikeE21286 said:
MS wireless receiver is all you need....it's also the only way to as well.

Ugh, really? I'm in the same position, but the receiver costs as much as just getting a wired controller! Stupid MS...

hyelife

I'm having some trouble running a game (ARMA 2).. Wondering if its a game glitch or the game doesnt run well with Nvidia cards..

System specs..
  • GTX 570
  • 8 Gig of memory

darthbob

hyelife said:
I'm having some trouble running a game (ARMA 2).. Wondering if its a game glitch or the game doesnt run well with Nvidia cards..

System specs..
  • GTX 570
  • 8 Gig of memory

The game is rather demanding. What settings are you playing at?

jonremedy

catapult37 said:
Ugh, really? I'm in the same position, but the receiver costs as much as just getting a wired controller! Stupid MS...

There are third party ones on eBay. No idea how they work (but then again, the MS ones seldom work as well...)

So I'm thinking about getting started on overclocking my GPU (this 6850) but I'm a little intimidated by the whole process. Should I do some sort of a stress test? If so, any recommendations?

And I think I can overclock with the CCC but not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom