• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I was reading that in case one partition fails, the other parts will still be safe and can be recovered. I dunno, this is my first time partitioning a hard drive. Should I not do it?

"I was reading that in case one partition fails, the other parts will still be safe and can be recovered. I dunno, this is my first time partitioning a hard drive. Should I not do it?"

If there's a mechanical issue with your drive, the *whole* drive is fucked. Partitions will be affected. Realistically, the only benefit to partitioning is organization, especially if you want to keep a small and tidy system partition and then have programs/media on other partitions, but yeah, it's not going to save anything in the event of a drive failure.

Not sure if this goes here or in the tech support thread so...

Gigabyte P55A-UD3 motherboard
Intel 120GB X-25M
Windows 7 64-bit trying to install from USB stick
1x2GB of RAM

Not playing nice.

I get to 10% in Expanding Windows Files and then I get the error code: 0x80070570

Been trying to get this working all afternoon with 0 success. please help!

NorrenRadd said:
Not sure if this goes here or in the tech support thread so...

Gigabyte P55A-UD3 motherboard
Intel 120GB X-25M
Windows 7 64-bit trying to install from USB stick
1x2GB of RAM

Not playing nice.

I get to 10% in Expanding Windows Files and then I get the error code: 0x80070570

Been trying to get this working all afternoon with 0 success. please help!

That install is likely corrupted. You probably need to get the file again.

AceBandage said:
That install is likely corrupted. You probably need to get the file again.

Best method to do this is torrents? I don't have access to the student area download anymore.

How do I verify the file I download is the real one?
Can I use the verification process to double check my current ISO file?

Edit: I have verified the ISO SHA-1 and CRC values. They pass.

filipe

Teknopathetic said:
"I was reading that in case one partition fails, the other parts will still be safe and can be recovered. I dunno, this is my first time partitioning a hard drive. Should I not do it?"

If there's a mechanical issue with your drive, the *whole* drive is fucked. Partitions will be affected. Realistically, the only benefit to partitioning is organization, especially if you want to keep a small and tidy system partition and then have programs/media on other partitions, but yeah, it's not going to save anything in the event of a drive failure.

What this man said.

If it's your main OS drive as well, you need partitions for other OS installations, but there's no point otherwise. Your best bet for backups is always a separate internal or external drive.

I, for instance, keep every backup that's important to me on a 1TB External drive that I use only a few times a week.

All things that I access normally (music, shows, work) are on my 2nd internal drive (just an old 160GB) that I have installed. My main 500GB drive is left intact. No partitions or anything like that.

sh4mike

I've read that Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit EOM could only be installed on one motherboard. If I end up swapping motherboards when the Asus P8P67 Pro revisions are available in March/April, will I have to buy another copy of Windows?

filipe

sh4mike said:
I've read that Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit EOM could only be installed on one motherboard. If I end up swapping motherboards when the Asus P8P67 Pro revisions are available in March/April, will I have to buy another copy of Windows?

I really don't think it makes a difference what the motherboard is. You'll need to wipe some drivers, and install new ones, but that should be it.

Cheech

sh4mike said:

You might have to play CSR roulette, but this is a pretty legit reason for them to reset the activation. I'd roll the dice, personally.

Shambles

LaserBuddha said:
Looking for upgrade advice here!

I have a new Studio XPS desktop that is only a few months old. It has:

-Proprietary mini-ATX motherboard
-Studio Phenom II X6 1075T (3.0GHz)
-ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5
-8GB DDR3 SDRAM,1333MHz, 4x2GB
-Some shitty 450w power supply.

At some point I want to get a new mobo and case, so that I can have more slots to work with. I'd also be getting a better PSU and switching to Nvidia graphics since ATI has disappointed me so far.

If I were to do this in the next few months, should I stick with this processor or go for an Intel or something with a higher clock speed? (since I'm mostly about gaming)

If I want to stick with the mobo/case I have for now, should I have any compatibility/fit issues with upgrading the PSU and throwing a good Nvidia card in there?

No point in upgrading your processor for gaming. With a retail motherboard you should also then be able to overclock the X6. Different Dell cases are different sizes. You'll have to measure the power supply area to see if it will fit standard ATX power supplies. You'll probably also want to check the pins on the case for the power/reset/LED connections to make sure they are also standard. There are a lot of things that can potentially go wrong when trying to re-use OEM parts but if you're dedicated to the upgrade the best thing you can do is get your parts, and then see if you run into problems as you build it. Worst case scenario you find something doesn't work and you can just go out and buy a case that you had to buy anyways. I wouldn't bother replacing the PSU until I tried it and found it to not fit or not work properly. Chances are you can use your old PSU and be fine, but if not you can always spend the money after you know you're sure.

I don't know what kind of problems you've had with your GPU but if it's just performance levels you don't get much for your money with OEM machines. A 5770 is fairly weak by todays standards and has never been a good choice of a GPU even since it was released as far as price/performance goes. Both AMDs and nVidia's GPUs are competitive at the higher price points.

sh4mike said:

Just call them and have them reset it.

MrBelmontvedere said:
thought I'd post this here. it's a collection of audio samples of dying hard drives from various manufacturers. an example for context, I suppose.

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

always back up your data!

Great site, bookmarked.

BloodySinner said:
Any deals on gaming mice lately? Like under $40? My Razor Copperhead is done.

I bought a Razer Deathadder from Futureshop this evening... I think I prefer my Copperhead over it. It weights too much and doesn't move as fast. Maybe I just need so more time adjusting to it.

ericexpo

Any on know any good small form factor builds, i want to build a small media center inside this case.
ly8mnl.jpg

I found this at my work and i can't think of anything else to do with it.

New problem. The KEY I got directly from Microsoft is coming up as Invalid.

I have quintuple checked it is the exact key in the email i received when I bought it from them.

Is there a list of keys I can use to finish the install, then switch later to activate?

EDIT: Oh right, leave it blank then put it in later. duh.

Hawk269

I had built a AMD Phenom 2 based Rig about 8 months ago. I am thinking of going to Intel Sandy Bridge (when the new chipsets are out). Outside of a new mother board and the processor, can I use all my existing parts? Like memory etc? And if I do re-build, should I re-format the HDD under the old system and once it is re-formatted boot it off and install it to the new rig?

Thanks..and yes some noobish questions.

Possibly a stupid question:

I have 2x 256gb SSD hard drives in my desktop. I'm selling my desktop and have bought a netbook instead, will one of these drives work in the netbook or are they too large to fit? I don't know if laptop hard drives are smaller than desktop hard drives ???

Any decent monitor recommendations in the ~$250 range? I could go up or down but I'm not sure what's good. I know I made a post in here before with what I had picked out and it got shot down as being not too great. I don't think I ever got any other recommendations, just "check Newegg or Amazon" which isn't really helpful when you're not sure what you're looking for. Any ideas?

grap3fruitman said:
Any decent monitor recommendations in the ~$250 range? I could go up or down but I'm not sure what's good. I know I made a post in here before with what I had picked out and it got shot down as being not too great. I don't think I ever got any other recommendations, just "check Newegg or Amazon" which isn't really helpful when you're not sure what you're looking for. Any ideas?

Really depends what you're doing but if I had roughly 250$ my money would be on an IPS panel like this one.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=usl=en&cs=19&sku=320-9270

There are frequently deals going on that drop it in to the 250-220$ range you just gotta look out for them. Its a fairly well received IPS monitor too.

Hawk269 said:
I had built a AMD Phenom 2 based Rig about 8 months ago. I am thinking of going to Intel Sandy Bridge (when the new chipsets are out). Outside of a new mother board and the processor, can I use all my existing parts? Like memory etc? And if I do re-build, should I re-format the HDD under the old system and once it is re-formatted boot it off and install it to the new rig?

You can reuse your ram/videocard/ps etc etc as long as you're not going from say DDR2 to DD3 based motherboards. They're all compatible.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hawk269 said:

If you have DDR3 sure.
PumpkinPie said:
Possibly a stupid question:

I have 2x 256gb SSD hard drives in my desktop. I'm selling my desktop and have bought a netbook instead, will one of these drives work in the netbook or are they too large to fit? I don't know if laptop hard drives are smaller than desktop hard drives ???
Depends on the netbook and if you can replace it or not. For a netbook most likely a 1.8" instead of the 2.5" you see mostly.

Hazaro said:
Depends on the netbook and if you can replace it or not. For a netbook most likely a 1.8" instead of the 2.5" you see mostly.

It's a Dell mini 1018, I think it has a 2.5" hard drive so it should be okay...

jda1977

Well i was ready to go on a sandy bridge system still am. I can buy the processor chip still right? Its on involving mb circuitry that is on motherbords. But i can buy the i2500k ship now and place in the revb boards, right? Thanks

OatmealMu

DrBaalzamon said:
Really depends what you're doing but if I had roughly 250$ my money would be on an IPS panel like this one.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=usl=en&cs=19&sku=320-9270

There are frequently deals going on that drop it in to the 250-220$ range you just gotta look out for them. Its a fairly well received IPS monitor too..

I have one of those. I can't say I notice a huge difference between it and my old Samsung TN panel, although there are improvements. On the Samsung, for example, the top of the screen really crushed blacks. This made working in Photoshop difficult at times. Oddly enough, my favorite part about it is probably the stand. The adjustability is great. A tilt sensor in the screen would be awful nice, though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My BIOS is telling me that my corsair 1600 ram is 1333. What do I need to change to get it to recognise it as 1600?

Sniper McBlaze said:
So I just pulled the trigger on this beast: http://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/177184/ultimate-kop :D

I just hope my girlfriend won't beat me to death (because of the cash I spent on it) just before getting a chance to run it.

Very nice. Worth being beaten to death for. Love that Fractal case - would have chosen that if I had space for a tower. Went for the Silverstone LC17 instead.

My computer works now! It turns out it really was the ATX connection not being plugged in that fucked it all up. Live and learn!

I am now enjoying Dead Space 2 and Bad Company 2 with everything turned all the way up. Tomorrow I will install Crysis Warhead and see how it goes!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
jda1977 said:
Well i was ready to go on a sandy bridge system still am. I can buy the processor chip still right? Its on involving mb circuitry that is on motherbords. But i can buy the i2500k ship now and place in the revb boards, right? Thanks
Yes. I just pulled the trigger on an ASUS board last Friday alongside the 2500k. The CPU shipped the same day, I am hoping the MB ships today as it says delivery time is Feb 8-11. I am getting all the parts except the MB by Wedsnesday I hope. I was able to order the MB through a seller/company on Amazon. It says my order can't be cancelled and is being prepared so I hope they actually ship it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
mrklaw said:
My BIOS is telling me that my corsair 1600 ram is 1333. What do I need to change to get it to recognise it as 1600?
What motherboard are you using?

SSD's for everyone! |OT|

new Intel SSDs on the way :)

Codename Emcrest will convert to Intel 510 brand that will guarantee up to 450MB read and 300MB/s write speeds. Let’s not forget that these drives are SATA III 6Gb/s compatible. The specification promises up to 20K IOPs at 4KB read and 4K IOPs at 4KB write.

Intel plans to launch these drives in February and the bigger of two is Intel 510 250GB, which is going to sell for $579 at launch. The smaller one is Intel 510 120GB 34nm drive that will debut for $279 in February. The previous performance king, the X25-E with its 64GB storage and 250MB read and 170MB write, still sells for around €600.
http://www.fudzilla.com/memory/item/21656-new-34nm-ssd-have-450/300mb/s-r/w

itxaka

Defeatist
WyndhamPrice said:
My computer works now! It turns out it really was the ATX connection not being plugged in that fucked it all up. Live and learn!

I am now enjoying Dead Space 2 and Bad Company 2 with everything turned all the way up. Tomorrow I will install Crysis Warhead and see how it goes!

Congrats man, enjoy them! :)

mclaren777

My buddy dropped his old Alienware off at my place last night because he thingk the HDD might be dead. I haven't tried turning it on yet but we were talking about replacing some of the internals. He thinks he bought it in 2006 but he isn't sure. I'm just curious what its motherboard and processor are.

Who wants to play detective with me? ;)

ieo7Qy.jpg

ienPfI.jpg

iej6HA.jpg

ienV4g.jpg

ienXCo.jpg

iejYzq.jpg

ieovdE.jpg

Flambe

A8N-SLI motherboard, rip fan off the cpu to find out that? hehe

Or if you don't care all that much, just get another socket 939 cpu hehe

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I just posted about this in the Dolphin thread but figured it'd be relevant here too since just about everyone who put together or is planning Sandy Bridge builds posts in this thread. :p

The built in Bluetooth module on the Asus P8P67 Deluxe is compatible with Wiimotes - simply install the drivers from the Asus support site under the Bluetooth heading and then go through the Windows 7 stack to pair the controller. I didn't use the BT GO! software that's included in their AI Suite.

I'm guessing since the entire P8P67 line has built in BT, they all probably have the same module and will therefore be compatible. Anyone else with a Wiimote + Asus board wanna test it out?

I have a computer with the following parts:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane 2.5GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor
GIGABYTE GA-MA69G-S3H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Support Video Card
3GB DDR2 800 (PC26400) RAM
850w PSU
2TB HDD

Would it be worth it to upgrade my processor to a Phenom II X4 925 for $120? Apparently the 945/955 that are compatible with my motherboard, the 95w versions, are discontinued or I can't find them. How significant would the improvement be over my current processor? How does the 925 processor compare to the first generation i3/i5/i7 series? I'm also considering upgrading the video card. Newegg has a GeForce GTX 460 SE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 card for $140 after MIR. Would it be worth buying it?

LiquidMetal14 said:
Yes. I just pulled the trigger on an ASUS board last Friday alongside the 2500k. The CPU shipped the same day, I am hoping the MB ships today as it says delivery time is Feb 8-11. I am getting all the parts except the MB by Wedsnesday I hope. I was able to order the MB through a seller/company on Amazon. It says my order can't be cancelled and is being prepared so I hope they actually ship it.

I ordered the same board from them and just got an email saying that they "oversold" and can't ship until they restock. Sons of bitches. Let me know if they actually ship yours. Good luck!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Randam_Hajile said:
I ordered the same board from them and just got an email saying that they "oversold" and can't ship until they restock. Sons of bitches. Let me know if they actually ship yours. Good luck!
I ordered the biostar one right from amazon. It was the last one. I just came in here to post what you posted. It's messed up because when I ordered, they had 5 left.

I need a MB now, not weeks from now. I got all the parts coming and will be here this week. I put 1 day shipping on it and was 155.

This Biostar MB is the one I'm referring to.

Man, what a bummer if this crap doesn't happen. I specifically emailed them asking about the recall and that I don't really care. Amazon went from nothing to preparing to ship in like 10 minutes. I hope this ships as I will have all these parts and no MB.

ExMachina said:
I just posted about this in the Dolphin thread but figured it'd be relevant here too since just about everyone who put together or is planning Sandy Bridge builds posts in this thread. :p

The built in Bluetooth module on the Asus P8P67 Deluxe is compatible with Wiimotes - simply install the drivers from the Asus support site under the Bluetooth heading and then go through the Windows 7 stack to pair the controller. I didn't use the BT GO! software that's included in their AI Suite.

I'm guessing since the entire P8P67 line has built in BT, they all probably have the same module and will therefore be compatible. Anyone else with a Wiimote + Asus board wanna test it out?
I responded in the other thread too. I will get my stack up and running tonight. i have a P8P67 no pro no nothing. i already have a super tiny usb bluetooth if i can find it, but will give this a try.

Shambles

SailorCosmos said:
I have a computer with the following parts:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane 2.5GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor
GIGABYTE GA-MA69G-S3H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Support Video Card
3GB DDR2 800 (PC26400) RAM
850w PSU
2TB HDD

Would it be worth it to upgrade my processor to a Phenom II X4 925 for $120? Apparently the 945/955 that are compatible with my motherboard, the 95w versions, are discontinued or I can't find them. How significant would the improvement be over my current processor? How does the 925 processor compare to the first generation i3/i5/i7 series? I'm also considering upgrading the video card. Newegg has a GeForce GTX 460 SE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 card for $140 after MIR. Would it be worth buying it?

Be careful of nVidia branding. the SE is actually a crippled version of the GTX 460 1GB with performance more on level with the GTX 460 768MB. While it's still a significant step up from an 8600 GT you might feel inclined to purchase something a little beefier (And with that PSU maybe 3 or 4 of them :p). The Phenom II X4 would be a significant step up in both core count and speed per core. I would also recommend overclocking. It is not difficult to hit 3.6Ghz on PII's. Compared to the i5 Lynnfield processors the Phenoms are generally mildly slower but substantially cheaper. The original i3's are dual cores and not even worth looking at despite still performing well on single threaded applications.

mclaren777 said:
My buddy dropped his old Alienware off at my place last night because he thingk the HDD might be dead. I haven't tried turning it on yet but we were talking about replacing some of the internals. He thinks he bought it in 2006 but he isn't sure. I'm just curious what its motherboard and processor are.

Who wants to play detective with me? ;)

The BIOS will report the CPU.

RedSwirl

Okay so to reiterate:

I'm trying to replace an 8800 with either a GTX 460 or an HD 6850 (unless you guys have other suggestions for under $300). I need to know: Will it fit inside the casing for a store-bought Dell XPS 420, and will my current 425w power supply be enough? If not, how much do I need?

Along with a Core 2 Quad and 3GB of RAM, how much of a performance difference will I see on a sub-1080p screen?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
so for those that jumped onto the SB bandwagon early, what's your gameplan for the recall?

i'm considering waiting till the middle of summer to send in my replacement request, as i figure the first month or two of the recall program will be hectic. i have several backup PCs so i won't be in dire need of my machine and can wait out the possible two weeks it'll take to receive the part.

has anyone jumped on NewEgg's return offer?

mclaren777

RedSwirl said:
I'm trying to replace an 8800 with either a GTX 460 or an HD 6850 (unless you guys have other suggestions for under $300). I need to know: Will it fit inside the casing for a store-bought Dell XPS 420, and will my current 425w power supply be enough? If not, how much do I need?
Thank you for your contributions (eg, letters) to various podcasts that I listen to. :)

Answer --> http://www.pchelpforum.com/graphics/99568-video-card-update-xps-420-a.html

mclaren777

scorcho said:
so for those that jumped onto the SB bandwagon early, what's your gameplan for the recall?
I'm going to wait and see if people need to reformat their HDDs for the new hardware to work correctly. If so, I'll just keep my faulty SB motherboard. If not, I'll probably take advantage of the recall.

So NCIX processed my order after the Sandy Bridge chipset recall announcement. I've sent a support ticket in stating that I'd like to cancel if they aren't going to hold my order until replacements arrive. Doesn't seem like there is any point getting my new computer and then having to replace my processor right away.

LiquidMetal14 said:
I ordered the biostar one right from amazon. It was the last one. I just came in here to post what you posted. It's messed up because when I ordered, they had 5 left.

I need a MB now, not weeks from now. I got all the parts coming and will be here this week. I put 1 day shipping on it and was 155.

This Biostar MB is the one I'm referring to.

Man, what a bummer if this crap doesn't happen. I specifically emailed them asking about the recall and that I don't really care. Amazon went from nothing to preparing to ship in like 10 minutes. I hope this ships as I will have all these parts and no MB.

I'm in the same boat. All my parts have shipped and should be here by Wednesday. I don't want to be sitting on all of this stuff for another month or two waiting to use it.

DoctorWho said:
So NCIX processed my order after the Sandy Bridge chipset recall announcement. I've sent a support ticket in stating that I'd like to cancel if they aren't going to hold my order until replacements arrive. Doesn't seem like there is any point getting my new computer and then having to replace my processor right away.

You don't have to replace the processor, it's the Sandy Bridge motherboards that are fucked. And the only thing fucked on the is the SATA2 ports which you don't even have to use. I bought a motherboard with six SATA3 ports.

Sniper McBlaze said:
You don't have to replace the processor, it's the Sandy Bridge motherboards that are fucked. And the only thing fucked on the is the SATA2 ports which you don't even have to use. I bought a motherboard with six SATA3 ports.

Shit. I'm an idiot but thanks for letting me know. I'll message them to make sure they don't cancel.

Edit:

I ordered this mobo: Gigabyte P67A-UD3 ATX LGA1155 P67 DDR3 3PCI-E1 2PCI 1PCI-E16 CrossFireX SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard

Deadstar

So I ordered the GTX 570. I'll wait a month to get the Sandy Bridge. This is going to be awesome! I hope I can run Crysis at 15 fps maxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom