• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey GAF? what's a good suggestion laptop for a gf? She doesn't game, but I don't want it to suck haha. Whats the price range I should be looking at?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ExMachina said:
I just posted about this in the Dolphin thread but figured it'd be relevant here too since just about everyone who put together or is planning Sandy Bridge builds posts in this thread. :p

The built in Bluetooth module on the Asus P8P67 Deluxe is compatible with Wiimotes - simply install the drivers from the Asus support site under the Bluetooth heading and then go through the Windows 7 stack to pair the controller. I didn't use the BT GO! software that's included in their AI Suite.

I'm guessing since the entire P8P67 line has built in BT, they all probably have the same module and will therefore be compatible. Anyone else with a Wiimote + Asus board wanna test it out?

300MB for bluetooth drivers!?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
BigBadShamoo said:
Hey GAF? what's a good suggestion laptop for a gf? She doesn't game, but I don't want it to suck haha. Whats the price range I should be looking at?

if you can wait for this sandy bridge nonsense to settle down, I'd jump at a sandy bridge i3 based laptop. the new integrated intel graphics should be more than enough for her. even on my family i3 laptop with previous generation integrated, I can run trackmania at medium/high quality.

JoeBoy101

scorcho said:
so for those that jumped onto the SB bandwagon early, what's your gameplan for the recall?

i'm considering waiting till the middle of summer to send in my replacement request, as i figure the first month or two of the recall program will be hectic. i have several backup PCs so i won't be in dire need of my machine and can wait out the possible two weeks it'll take to receive the part.

has anyone jumped on NewEgg's return offer?

Well, with the P67 Pro, I got four 6GB SATA ports (two Intel, two Maxwell). Frankly, I'm just going to run with the board unless another problem arises. It's my first build and considering how relatively well it all went together, I fear doing the recall, being out my machine for a week or two, and then possibly getting a bad board.

This coupled with the fact that I only have two SATA devices and MAY introduce a third a some point.

Now if I three, or more to the point, four devices. Then I'd reconsider.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone here ever own a Biostar motherboard? I had to go with that option as all my parts are in route and I need that the most lol

RedSwirl said:
Okay so to reiterate:

I'm trying to replace an 8800 with either a GTX 460 or an HD 6850 (unless you guys have other suggestions for under $300). I need to know: Will it fit inside the casing for a store-bought Dell XPS 420, and will my current 425w power supply be enough? If not, how much do I need?

Along with a Core 2 Quad and 3GB of RAM, how much of a performance difference will I see on a sub-1080p screen?

is it an 8800 GTX? my girlfriend has an 8800 GTX inside a dell XPS 410 so it should be able to.

Shambles

mclaren777 said:
--Proposal for new Alienware guts--

Parts list
Crysis gameplay

Sound like a reasonable plan?

Looks good but you might want to consider a motherboard with USB3/SATA3 support.

Edit: Didn't notice you were the one fixing the XPS. If I was you i'd just upgrade the CPU but keep the old motherboard and memory. Spend the difference on a better GPU or SSD or pocket the savings.

mrklaw said:
if you can wait for this sandy bridge nonsense to settle down, I'd jump at a sandy bridge i3 based laptop. the new integrated intel graphics should be more than enough for her. even on my family i3 laptop with previous generation integrated, I can run trackmania at medium/high quality.

Worddd thank you. Any advice on brand?

aktham

Just want to say I just got done setting up my first SSD ever. Believe the hype. This thing is BLAZING FAST. Shutdown is instant. Power on to welcome menu is 10 seconds (includes bios/vaio intro). It will be hard going back to conventional HDDs. I get around 250-270 MB/s for read and write. I was hovering at 100-120 MB/s before the upgrade.

My SSD is the 120GB OCZ Vertex 2.

mclaren777

Shambles said:
Looks good but you might want to consider a motherboard with USB3/SATA3 support.

Edit: Didn't notice you were the one fixing the XPS. If I was you i'd just upgrade the CPU but keep the old motherboard and memory. Spend the difference on a better GPU or SSD or pocket the savings.
I'm fixing the Alienware. And everything in that machine is roughly five years old so it would be nice to give it a good $500 refresh.

Shambles

mclaren777 said:
I'm fixing the Alienware. And everything in that machine is roughly five years old so it would be nice to give it a good $500 refresh.

Sounds good. I just wanted to make sure you knew that newer AM3 CPUs are backwards compatible with AM2+ and some AM2 boards.

mclaren777 said:
--Proposal for new Alienware guts--

Parts list
Crysis gameplay

Sound like a reasonable plan?

$60 1TB F3

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0340562
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001U3S5S0/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&Tpk=f3 1tb

Due to miscalculated projections, various manufactures under-produced their 500GB models last year, so they aren't meeting demand. With that, prices over the last few months have been high in relation to 1TB drives, and will continue that way for the remainder of Q1 2011, if not longer.

Unfortunately, you missed out on the $125 MSI 460 Hawk deal. Even at $160 it's a better card than the Cyclone.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00469WUAO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Whether that's too close to the $160-180 that the 460 1GB/6850 can be had for is up to you guys.

There's nearly no point in buying a new board without USB3/SATA3 since you'll need an expansion card at some point anyway. It would be nice if the two of you can come up with a low-cost stopgap solution until AM3+ and SB revisions arrive.

ZZMitch

GAF, is this the best SSD to buy in the 100-150$ range? Or maybe should I wait for something coming up?

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-5PA064/US

MZ-5PA064_front_5_3.jpg

I don't know if this has been posted, but I'll add it here and in the other relevant threads.

Blog:
http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.com/2011/02/gigabyte-6-series-sata-check.html

pmmXS.png

GIGABYTE 6 Series SATA Check Application

Tool to help optimize SATA port usage on current P67/H67 boards

The news of the SATA 2.0 issues with Intel 6 series chipsets has sparked a lot of uncertainty about how this will affect those of us who upgraded to the new Sandy Bridge architecture. Essentially, if you’re using 1 or 2 SATA devices then this chipset issue need not affect you at all because you can connect your devices to the 2 white SATA 3.0 ports. However, if you’re using 3 or more SATA devices, you may want to prioritise your more important devices on the white SATA 3.0 ports (e.g. hard drive with your operating system on it) and the less important devices on the Intel PCH SATA 2.0 ports (e.g. a DVD ROM).

To help our customers optimise SATA performance on their 6 series mobos, GIGABYTE has created an easy to use utility called the GIGABYTE 6 Series SATA Check that tells you if the SATA ports that you are using are in fact the affected Intel PCH SATA 2.0 ports. It also recommends that you change your SATA devices to the white SATA 3.0 ports. The utility is a simple program that will work on any 6 series chipset based mobo, and has 3 possible scenarios that offer advice for users to configure their SATA devices. To operate, simply copy this utility to your P67/H67 system’s Windows desktop and unzip, then double click the “67sfck.exe” file.

The 1st scenario is where there are no devices connected to the affected Intel PCH SATA 2.0 ports, and the utility will let you know that your SATA configuration is OK.

CXn1N.jpg

The 2nd scenario is where your devices are all connected to the affected Intel PCH SATA 2.0 ports, and the utility will advise you to (Please) move 1 or 2 devices from Intel PCH SATA 2.0 ports to the free SATA 3.0 ports.

wrcZi.jpg

The 3rd scenario is where you have devices connected to the affected Intel PCH SATA 2.0 ports and the SATA 3.0 ports are also populated. Here the utility will advice you that the “Use of (the) Intel PCH SATA 2.0 ports is not recommended.”

PbZBy.jpg

The GIGABYTE 6 Series SATA Check utility will be available for download on the GIGABYTE website.

Download:
GIGABYTE - Intel Sandy Bridge/6 Series SATA Check Utility
http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/utility.aspx?cg=2

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So it just lets you know if you plugged stuff on SATA2. That's nice of them I guess, although probably unnecessary.

antonz

Update:
SANTA CLARA, Calif., Feb. 7, 2011 – On January 31, 2011, Intel disclosed a design issue with a support chip, the Intel® 6 Series Chipset that has the potential to impact certain PC system configurations. Intel subsequently initiated extensive discussions with computer makers about this topic. Both Intel and its customers are focused on delivering the highest quality PC systems based on Intel® 2nd Generation Core® Processors. As a result of these discussions and specific requests from computer makers, Intel is resuming shipments of the Intel® 6 Series Chipset for use only in PC system configurations that are not impacted by the design issue.

Only computer makers who have committed to shipping the Intel® 6 Series Chipset in PC system configurations that are not impacted by the design issue will be receiving these shipments.

This resumption of shipments of the Intel® 6 Series Chipset is not changing the company’s updated first quarter 2011 and full-year financial Outlook published on January 31st.

In parallel, Intel has started manufacturing on a new version of this support chip. Intel now expects to begin shipping the new parts in mid February.

Terproerg

So i got a new motherboard this weekend. But its having an odd problem. It ran fine yesterday, but today it wont let my cpu go over 4x multi. Im running a 555 BE and of course its unlocked. On the old mobo it could hit 4ghz. On this one no matter what i do, it will not go over 4x mutli. Its very annoying. The mother board is an asus m4a88t v-evo usb3. Tried differnt bio's and cant get it working. Any help would be nice. thanks.

LiquidMetal14

LiquidMetal14 said:
Anyone here ever own a Biostar motherboard? I had to go with that option as all my parts are in route and I need that the most lol
A quick update on this. I ordered the BIOSTAR MB I linked on the last page. Went with 1 day shipping. It should be here tomorrow as it says shipped on Amazon. I will have the CPU and MB tomorrow. All I need is for Newegg to ship the rest of my parts. I ordered the stuff on Friday and only 1 of the 2 orders says charged. I really hope they ship both today as I need that fan/heatsink before I can even get the ball rolling. Ugh, I was hoping to have all my parts by tomorrow but I can't even test the MB since it doesn't have any video outs. What a catch 22.

Here's the motherboard - Biostar MB

Negator

Can anyone recommend me a case? I'm looking for a case that will fit a 6970 video card, has a bottom mounted PSU, and is lightweight.

Which type of cases are generally lightweight? I was looking at Aluminum cases but I'm not so sure if that's the way to go. I'd also not like to spend more than $120 if possible, but I'm willing to splurge a little this time for a quality case.

There are some suggestions in the OP.

Hazaro said:
So it just lets you know if you plugged stuff on SATA2. That's nice of them I guess, although probably unnecessary.
Kinda pointless if you know your stuff, but with the less technically-inclined (going by some replies) it can be helpful.

Negator

·feist· said:
There are some suggestions in the OP.

I saw them. I'm just weary about buying a case on that list that I possibly might not be able to use. Video cards are getting ridiculously big lately.

CrankyJay

Banned
Just finished the last of my rebates for my Sandy Bridge build that is now delayed until April. =)

I'm worried any of the components I've bought so far won't work...but I wanted the rebate prices so I guess if anything fails I will just go through the company warranty.

Negator said:
I saw them. I'm just weary about buying a case on that list that I possibly might not be able to use. Video cards are getting ridiculously big lately.
All of the ~$80-100+ options will take that card and some of the sub-$60 ones will, as well. Did any of the styles or features stand out to you? If you had any cases in mind that aren't listed we can help you out with comparisons.

Aluminum is getting increasingly expensive so more and more, companies are cutting back wherever they can by using thinner sheets and lower-grade, or higher MSRPs to offset the costs. In the $100 range, I'd likely opt for a steel enclosure over an aluminum case.

CrankyJay

Banned
antonz said:
Update:
SANTA CLARA, Calif., Feb. 7, 2011 – On January 31, 2011, Intel disclosed a design issue with a support chip, the Intel® 6 Series Chipset that has the potential to impact certain PC system configurations. Intel subsequently initiated extensive discussions with computer makers about this topic. Both Intel and its customers are focused on delivering the highest quality PC systems based on Intel® 2nd Generation Core® Processors. As a result of these discussions and specific requests from computer makers, Intel is resuming shipments of the Intel® 6 Series Chipset for use only in PC system configurations that are not impacted by the design issue.

Only computer makers who have committed to shipping the Intel® 6 Series Chipset in PC system configurations that are not impacted by the design issue will be receiving these shipments.

This resumption of shipments of the Intel® 6 Series Chipset is not changing the company’s updated first quarter 2011 and full-year financial Outlook published on January 31st.

In parallel, Intel has started manufacturing on a new version of this support chip. Intel now expects to begin shipping the new parts in mid February.

So what does this mean? They're continuing shipments of what? Laptops etc that will not be affected? Or builds that don't use the potentially affect SATA ports (business desktops etc)?

Shambles

CrankyJay said:
So what does this mean? They're continuing shipments of what? Laptops etc that will not be affected? Or builds that don't use the potentially affect SATA ports (business desktops etc)?

OEM machines that aren't using affected chipsets will continue to receive product. Everyone else waits until mid-month for the new revisions on affected parts.

CrankyJay

Banned
Shambles said:
OEM machines that aren't using affected chipsets will continue to receive product. Everyone else waits until mid-month for the new revisions on affected parts.

Well fuck yeah! Mid-February is way better than April.

White Man

Has anyone ever connected a PC to a TV? I want to do this with my PC since I only use it for games. The problem is the text--it's way too tiny. I've got Windows working well enough, but criminally few games let you do UI scaling. This renders any game with lotsa text basically unplayable. Gimme advice plz

aktham

White Man said:
Has anyone ever connected a PC to a TV? I want to do this with my PC since I only use it for games. The problem is the text--it's way too tiny. I've got Windows working well enough, but criminally few games let you do UI scaling. This renders any game with lotsa text basically unplayable. Gimme advice plz

Maybe obvious, but don't play text heavy games or sit closed to the TV for the text heavy games.

antonz

White Man said:
I use a 32" 1080P TV exclusively as a monitor. I have generally not seen a text problem though that you speak of. Resolution the TV can handle could of course be a problem

LiquidMetal14

The BIOSTAR MB I'm getting, will I be able to get a replacement even after I get it running? What is the timeline on a return?

CrankyJay

Banned
antonz said:
Update:

Is there a source for this text?

Negator

mclaren777 said:
I adore my HAF 912.

This looks exactly like what I was looking for. Hell, it even looks awesome! Thanks bro!

[Edit]
How are the fans? Would buying additional fans be recommended?

Warning: The HAF 912 is ugly as sin. I have one and I love its build and the interior has removable drive mountings to make room for extra big cards, but the exterior looks like it got in a fight with another case and lost.

You see the strangest things in this thread...

unrelated: Scythe Mine 2

8 heat pipes, 140mm Slip Stream with a fan controller included.

mine-sg.jpg

trio0.jpg

tri2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom