• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shambles

Does anyone have experience replacing a GPU fan? Mine is making an annoying whining noise and I have a good mind to replace just the fan as I can remove the fan/plastic shroud easily and leave the heat sink on. I want to just wire an 80mm fan to the heat sink but can't tell what kind of fan will work with the 4-pin GPU fan connection on the GPU board.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Littleberu said:
Processor (CPU) Intel Core i5 750 Quad Core Processor Lynnfield LGA1156 2.66GHZ 8MB Cache Retail Box

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM

Hard Drives Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM

Motherboard ASUS P7P55D-E LGA1156 P55 DDR3 2PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFireX USB3.0 SATA 6GB Motherboard

DVD Writer LG GH22NS50 Black 22X SATA DVD Writer OEM

DDR3 Memory (RAM) G.SKILL F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL Ripjaws 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24 240PIN DIMM Memory

Video Cards GeForce GTX 460 675MHZ 1024MB PCI-E Dual DVI Mini HDMI

Computer Case Antec Three Hundred Mini Tower Gaming Case 300 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB & Audio

Power Supply Antec Truepower New 650W Modular Power Supply ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus SLI Ready 120MM PWM Fan

This'll cost me around 1000$ CAD.

How does this look? I'm trying to build a PC mainly for Photoshop and Premiere editing (as well as computer animation), but I'm also planning to game (hence the GTX 460).

I left the idea of SSD behind ; too expensive for my budget right now. Might upgrade later.

Edit : Also, I want to ask if all these pieces are compatible with one another.
Wait a week or two and buy a 2500K + P67 mobo

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Shambles said:
Does anyone have experience replacing a GPU fan? Mine is making an annoying whining noise and I have a good mind to replace just the fan as I can remove the fan/plastic shroud easily and leave the heat sink on. I want to just wire an 80mm fan to the heat sink but can't tell what kind of fan will work with the 4-pin GPU fan connection on the GPU board.

When did you get this graphics card? A warranty may still be in effect to fix this.

edit: Crap I didn't notice that the fan was still working, just making an annoying noise. I don't know if a manufacturer would cover that.

So, after a couple days reading forums, reviews, test and what not... around the web with google I'm set on this new comp. Complete upgrade with a new LCD screen, new case (sold my antec three hundred, served me well).

LCD iiyama prolite B2712HDS-B1 (27"?! Been gaming on a Samsung 19" before, not available on new egg website, so linky to iiyama its sold around 340€ over here)

Case Corsair Graphite 600 T

Power Supply Corsair AX 750

HDD WD Caviar Black 500GB (Enough for the moment)

SDD Crucial 64GB (Enough space for windows, I believe at least?)

Ram Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 (perhaps I'm aiming too high here, also not going to o/c much if at all, this one not for me?)

DVD Samsung (Don't need Blue Ray)

Cpu Cooler Noctua NH-U12P (great reviews all around the net)

So I'm missing the mobo and gpu. I'm waiting for the release and the new sandy bridge cpu's (aiming for the 2600k). I'm used to gigabyte mb, will most likely go for one, as for the graphic card, I'm not sure.

Been gaming on a 4850 vapor x by sapphire, great card all around. I took a high power supply to be able to run in sli or cross fire later on when the budget will permit.

The goal here is to make a rig that will last two years like my last one.

Any suggestions, the ram or about the graphic card for example? The 580 gtx has great perf on paper, but it is also a power hog, running this in sli sound very scary. A 6850 crossfire however...

What say you Gaf?

TheExodu5

Banned
The_Squirrel_Menace said:
So, after a couple days reading forums, reviews, test and what not... around the web with google I'm set on this new comp. Complete upgrade with a new LCD screen, new case (sold my antec three hundred, served me well).

LCD iiyama prolite B2712HDS-B1 (27"?! Been gaming on a Samsung 19" before, not available on new egg website, so linky to iiyama its sold around 340€ over here)

Ram Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 (perhaps I'm aiming too high here, also not going to o/c much if at all, this one not for me?)

So I'm missing the mobo and gpu. I'm waiting for the release and the new sandy bridge cpu's (aiming for the 2600k). I'm used to gigabyte mb, will most likely go for one, as for the graphic card, I'm not sure.

Been gaming on a 4850 vapor x by sapphire, great card all around. I took a high power supply to be able to run in sli or cross fire later on when the budget will permit.

Any suggestions, the ram or about the graphic card for example? The 580 gtx has great perf on paper, but it is also a power hog, running this in sli sound very scary. A 6850 crossfire however...

What say you Gaf?

Everything looks great. I'd change the RAM for this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...14&cm_re=ddr3_8gb_1600-_-20-231-314-_-Product

Cheaper, and smaller sinks, so you shouldn't run into any height issues with the Noctua ( according to Noctua's compatibility list online).

As for GPU...if you want to minimize power consumption, but want a fast card, then I'd probably suggest the 6950. Flash it, and you can turn it into a 6970. Of course, you could pay an extra $80 for the 6970 if you don't want to flash, but at that point, you'd be better off just getting a GTX 570.

You could run SLI GTX 570 fine if you upgraded the PSU to the AX850. It's only $20 more I believe.

edit: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6970/27.html

I was mistaken about 6950/6970 power consumption. Basically in line with the GTX 570. Just bump the PSU and you won't have any issues. You could also go with a cheaper PSU if you wanted...the AX850 is pretty overkill. It's basically the best PSU out there. Of course, I'm getting that for myself, since its sexy. ;)

The 6850 in Crossfire would be fine...but considering you're going with top shelf components, I figure you'd want something a little higher end.

sh4mike

Hazaro said:
Wait a week or two and buy a 2500K + P67 mobo
Do you recommend the 2500K over the 2500 for folks with no desire to overclock? Or is the general view that one would be stupid not to overclock, so always go with the 2500K?

Shambles

Trojita said:
When did you get this graphics card? A warranty may still be in effect to fix this.

edit: Crap I didn't notice that the fan was still working, just making an annoying noise. I don't know if a manufacturer would cover that.

Yeah it's probably a couple years old now and the fan works fine it's just annoying at times. I've already tried contacting Palit but they weren't very helpful and it seemed like they didn't even have a PR person who even spoke english.

sh4mike said:
Do you recommend the 2500K over the 2500 for folks with no desire to overclock? Or is the general view that one would be stupid not to overclock, so always go with the 2500K?

Yeah, what's the difference? Noticeable?

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm honestly considering just getting a few Samsung F4 5400RPM drive to use for both my games and media. The speeds are so close to 7200RPM drives, and they're pretty much whisper quiet. It doesn't really seem worth it to pay 50% more for noisy 7200RPM drives for 10% faster loading times. Can anyone convince me otherwise?

sh4mike said:

You really get a lot by overclocking. Bring that 3.3GHz processor closer to 5GHz without much effort. If you plan on running emulators it's pretty much a necessity.

I'm not completely up to speed about 2500 vs. 2500K. Is it just an unlocked multiplier in the 2500K?

TheExodu5 said:
I'm honestly considering just getting a few Samsung F4 5400RPM drive to use for both my games and media. The speeds are so close to 7200RPM drives, and they're pretty much whisper quiet. It doesn't really seem worth it to pay 50% more for noisy 7200RPM drives for 10% faster loading times. Can anyone convince me otherwise?
Good thing they're black :p.

Weenerz

Banned
Corsair 600t is the best case I can recommend for anyone that is looking for a case that doesn't require tools, has plenty of hiding space and is pretty quiet when in use.

Weenerz said:
Corsair 600t is the best case I can recommend for anyone that is looking for a case that doesn't require tools, has plenty of hiding space and is pretty quiet when in use.
I recommend mine too, airflow may not be good enough for a SLi setup unless you replace some fans though.

n0n44m

So with all the case discussion going on I might as well quickly show my *very subtly modded* CM 690 II Advanced, my first Midi tower after my previous Stacker STC-T01 (which I still love and will use for hardcore builds once I have a steady income :lol ). At stock it's a great case; good build quality, good cooling, great amount of space to work with given the dimensions

exteriors94o.jpg

[click right pic for bigger version, sorry too lazy to take off the side panel :lol and cabling isn't optimal at the moment as I was in a hurry last time but I'll wait for Sandy Bridge to do it properly :D )

-Bought the sidewindow panel which allows for a single 120mm fan next to the graphics card area
-Replaced all stock fans with ~1200 rpm Yate-Loons (nice and cheap)
-Front intake : 1*140, 2*120 (1st below DVD drive, 2nd behind the 140 on the other side of hdd rack)
-Side exhaust: 120 blue led modded to the 690 II's "Led fan on/off" switch so that I can disable it at night to remove the blue glow from my room =]
-Top/Back exhaust: 2*140/1*120
-All casefans wired to a hidden switch in the front of the bottom that switches them between 5 and 12 volts
-Dual Fans on Scythe Mugen 2 rev B, both PWM controlled so they spin up when the cpu socket heats up
-Arctic Cooling Accelero PLUS on GTX480, maximum cooling minimum noise
-Closed all the ventilation holes in the back and bottom; fresh air now only enters through front which is completely filtered so no need to dust the insides every week =]

result: extremely silent at 5V, does heat up somewhat over time when playing the latest DX11 games at 5V (hot air coming from all exhausts) but at 12V it cools extremely well while keeping the noise at a very respectable (low pitched!) level
(although the replaced cooling on the graphics card means this system is probably by default more silent than any pc with a stock cooled GTX4**/5** or HD58**/59**/6*** )

Jin34

TheExodu5 said:

You really get a lot by overclocking. Bring that 3.3GHz processor closer to 5GHz without much effort. If you plan on running emulators it's pretty much a necessity.

I'm not completely up to speed about 2500 vs. 2500K. Is it just an unlocked multiplier in the 2500K?

I don't know, the last thing I consider noisy is the hard drives but that's just me. As for the 2500 vs the 2500k its the same thing just unlocked.

vazel

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Yea I have no issues with the speeds on my 2TB F4. It's actually twice as fast as my five year old 320GB 7200RPM WD drives due to data density per platter being higher on modern drives.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
n0n44m said:
-Replaced all stock fans with ~1200 rpm Yate-Loons (nice and cheap)
-Front intake : 1*140, 2*120 (1st below DVD drive, 2nd behind the 140 on the other side of hdd rack)
-All casefans wired to a hidden switch in the front of the bottom that switches them between 5 and 12 volts
-Dual Fans on Scythe Mugen 2 rev B, both PWM controlled so they spin up when the cpu socket heats up
-Closed all the ventilation holes in the back and bottom; fresh air now only enters through front which is completely filtered so no need to dust the insides every week =]
I was looking into lower speed fans and silence as a priority.

Which fans are you running that don't drone at 5V? (Low speed or mid speed Yate Loons?)
What filters are you using?

TheExodu5 said:

Thank you

Hazaro said:
It's not worth it.

Also with all this case talk, feist, exodus, make that thumbnailed pricing section!
Changed to reflect the new price range suggestions. Like I said, $120-$200 is really tough because of the countless options and the fact that wants start to seriously outweigh needs for most people. Videos pending if these are fine.

Thoughts?

$40-60
2zjjd5c.jpg
$40 - Cooler Master 310/33x/341
fc7j1l.jpg
$40 - NZXT Beta Evo
2gy20kj.jpg
$50 - Antec 300
dv51i.jpg
$60 - Cooler Master HAF 912​
[QUIET OPTION]
s6pzxy.jpg
$60 - Antec Sonata Proto​

$70-$100
2igjdkn.jpg
$80 - Cooler Master CM 690 II
2mw9miu.jpg
$90 - Cooler Master HAF 922
rhr9r4.jpg
$100 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K62
x3g952.jpg
$100 - Antec 902/900​
[QUIET OPTION]
29bhl3d.jpg
$100 - Fractal Design Define R3​

$120-$200
259lhlz.jpg
$160 - Corsair 600T
e00bdc.jpg
$160 - SilverStone RV02
sws574.jpg
$200 - Cooler Master HAF X
2hrmx3d.jpg
$ N/A - Various Lian Li
[QUIET OPTION]
nb3ww1.jpg
$160 - Antec P183​

TheExodu5 said:
I switched all but two of my storage HDDs over to the newer 5400rpm units. Smaller files like music and pictures are still on the 7200rpm drives and some games will show a difference between the two speeds. In those instances, you could always install the game on to your SSD for however long you'd be regularly playing the title. Also, with 6 HDDs spinning in one of my PCs, all I can hear are the intake fans whenever I use it.

TheExodu5 said:
Non-K series actually can be overclocked. Intel being Intel, decided to severely hinder the OC ability of the standard CPUs (S and T models as well) as a means of exerting further influence over the market and controlling prices as much as possible. Imagine if you couldn't really overclock anything below an i5 750 so you had no choice but to buy at least a $200 part if you wanted to do so? No $100 Athlon X4-like overclocking going on here.

It's a wonder that more people aren't (yet) complaining about this. You know that few years old Q6600-based PC you have? Want more speed out of it for the time being instead of having to buy our latest chip? Well, tough, you bought the wrong part. Now give us money.

I've said it before: this is the perfect time for AMD to deliver with Bulldozer 1. We'll see...

artist

Banned
Hazaro said:
Only 1366 boards support triple channel and most of them run dual channel fine. There's no performance benefit do running triple, so it's only useful if you are using more than 4GB of RAM, but less than 8GB.
Thanks.

The sticks I'm looking at are 2GB x 3. So in that case I wont be able to run dual-channel, correct?

asdad123

asdad123 said:
How do I adjust the case and CPU fan speed? It seems like theyre going at 100% and are very loud even though the CPU is at 15C idle.

My motherboard is an Asus M4A78LT-M LE

Anyone?

TheExodu5

Banned
·feist· said:
I switched all but two of my storage HDDs over to the newer 5400rpm units. Smaller files like music and pictures are still on the 7200rpm drives and some games will show a difference between the two speeds. In those instances, you could always install the game on to your SSD for however long you'd be regularly playing the title. Also, with 6 HDDs spinning in one of my PCs, all I can hear are the intake fans whenever I use it.

Awesome case post, btw.

As for the HDDs...the scratching of my WD 1TB Black needle is clearly audible in my case. I don't hear it spinning, but seeking is mildly annoying. My WD Green is far quieter, by comparison.

OK, this is driving me crazy.

HD 6870 - Win7 Enterprise

I have a 24" Dell and a 22" Acer hooked up through the DVI. I have a 42" Westinghouse hooked up by HDMI.

I was told I need to buy an Active DisplayPort Adapter but I'm not sure where or what I'd do with it or which one I would need to buy.

When I go to display settings I see all 3 monitors and by all accounts I should be able to run 2 at a time with this card correct? It will only display on the monitors. It shows the 3rd HDTV but even just connecting an DVI monitor and the HDMI HDTV it says "cannot save settings" when I try and dupe or extend to the HDTV.

Once, right after I installed the card and the HDMI cable I turned on my PC and for some reason it switched and displayed Windows on my HDMI ... I didn't think anything of it at the time and just recently have been trying to figure this out since I have a wheel I want to play some racing games on my HDTV setup.

What needs to be done here? I'm 90% sure the HDMI cable is fine. It just will never save the settings - even when I physically only have 2 displays connected to the card (HDMI and DVI). It shows it as a display in my display settings, I've even tried lowering the resolution of the main DVI monitor so it was lower than the 1080p on the HDTV.

If I need to buy a dongle where would I hook it up? Do I need to split the DVI's and buy a dongle to display HDMI?

I just don't get this, I can't find shit on google and VisionTek's support forum are a joke.

Please help! I want to play NFS:HP with my glorious wheel setup in beautiful PC graphicsdom!

EDIT: Either the HDMI cable is bad or my HDTV's HDMI inputs are bad (all 4 of them). So I guess I'll be picking up a new cable tomorrow.

I tried hooking up my HD cable box with the cable - no go. Tried hooking my PS3 through HDMI - no go. So it's the cable or the fucking HDTV HDMI inputs ...

Fuck, I hope it's the cable.

The_Squirrel_Menace said:

What say you Gaf?

Might want the 128 GB Crucial SSD. The performance gain at that size jump tends to be fairly substantial.

TheExodu5 said:

Yeah, K is for fully unlocked overclocking. We've already had the 875K, which is an unlocked 870.

·feist· said:

Non-K series actually can be overclocked. Intel being Intel, decided to severely hinder the OC ability of the standard CPUs (S and T models as well) as a means of exerting further influence over the market and controlling prices as much as possible. Imagine if you couldn't really overclock anything below an i5 750 so you had no choice but to buy at least a $200 part if you wanted to do so? No $100 Athlon X4-like overclocking going on here.

It's a wonder that more people aren't (yet) complaining about this. You know that few years old Q6600-based PC you have? Want more speed out of it for the time being instead of having to buy our latest chip? Well, tough, you bought the wrong part. Now give us money.

I've said it before: this is the perfect time for AMD to deliver with Bulldozer 1. We'll see...

Thing is, AMD itself is seriously behind in terms of performance.

Hey, just a quick question :

I heard that the remote desktop in Win7 is awesome, but can't be used if you have Win7 Home Premium.

Is there a good free alternative to it then?

TheExodu5

Banned
My main reservation now about even considering SLI GTX 570 is the damned 1280MB of memory. I wonder how soon I'd be running into memory issues at 1080p (outside of GTA IV).

darthbob

TheExodu5 said:
My main reservation now about even considering SLI GTX 570 is the damned 1280MB of memory. I wonder how soon I'd be running into memory issues at 1080p (outside of GTA IV).

Considering that I run Crysis at 2048x1152 with 4xAA and I barely tap 800MB, it might be a while.

GTX470 here, btw.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
darthbob said:
Considering that I run Crysis at 2048x1152 with 4xAA and I barely tap 800MB, it might be a while.

GTX470 here, btw.
What are your settings? My GTX580 can't even handle Very High at a rock solid 30fps through the whole game.

matmanx1

Whoever linked that Silverstone RV02 on Amazon with the mail in rebate I must now thank because I just pulled the trigger on it for my new build! :D I get free 2 day shipping with Amazon Prime (which is not a big deal in this case since Sandy Bridge won't be landing for another week or so) but the rebate expired on the 31st (today!) so it seemed like the time was right.

I'm excited to see it in person as I've never owned a case that nice before and I'm serious this time about running as cool as possible on just air. This thread has been a big help so far in picking this particular case out so thanks alot everyone!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
TheExodu5 said:
Every time I consider buying that second GTX580, I wonder if I will be making a mistake due to the fact that the 28nm GPUs are easily going to have twice the shader count. I have the money burning in the pocket, but I am still undecided.

Jin34

godhandiscen said:
I am running @ 1080p High 4xAA. I see dips under 30fps.

Just looked up the benches, and the difference between high/very high is immense. I doubt Crytek spent much time optimizing very high settings considering the level of hardware at the time, it was just a hey lets throw our max settings our engine can do for people to use in the future kind of thing.

Shambles

CaptainAhab said:
Am I crazy, or does the cpu fan recommended in the $600 build not fit in the case recommended?

It appears you are correct. I'm not seeing anything that great in low profile CPU coolers, probably better to move up to a mid ATX case.

Case is 5.8 inches = 14.73200 centimeters. The Hyper 212 only lists the 12cm fan which has the heatpipes and contact plate below that already. There is one review of a customer saying that they couldn't fit it in as well. Most decent CPU coolers are running at least 120mm fans. I suppose it's possible that some might be tight enough to fit within that case.

Shambles said:
It appears you are correct. I'm not seeing anything that great in low profile CPU coolers, probably better to move up to a mid ATX case.

Case is 5.8 inches = 14.73200 centimeters. The Hyper 212 only lists the 12cm fan which has the heatpipes and contact plate below that already. There is one review of a customer saying that they couldn't fit it in as well. Most decent CPU coolers are running at least 120mm fans. I suppose it's possible that some might be tight enough to fit within that case.

I installed it and when I sat back to admire my handiwork it was sticking an inch or so right out the side. :lol Do you think the fan that comes with the cpu is good enough for the time being?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Shambles said:

Looking at my hyper right now as its still not installed. 6.2 inchs long so yea it wont fit in that case.

Shambles

CaptainAhab said:
I installed it and when I sat back to admire my handiwork it was sticking an inch or so right out the side. :lol Do you think the fan that comes with the cpu is good enough for the time being?

Yeah, the stock cooler will be ok. If you're not overclocking I wouldn't even worry about an after-market cooler. Sorry if we screwed you into buying the wrong part. I hope you can easily return it. As far as the 600$ build goes I'd really have to recommend a mid-tower case. Looking at the CM case I'd even worry what kind of GPUs you could even fit in it.

For those of you looking for a different case at the same price point here's a Rosewill unit that is a mid tower. Probably not the greatest but 40$ for a case is on the very low end. People generally seem to be happy with it though.

Shambles said:
Yeah, the stock cooler will be ok. If you're not overclocking I wouldn't even worry about an after-market cooler. Sorry if we screwed you into buying the wrong part. I hope you can easily return it. As far as the 600$ build goes I'd really have to recommend a mid-tower case. Looking at the CM case I'd even worry what kind of GPUs you could even fit in it.

I'm using my old nvidia 9800 for now and luckily it's a low-profile card. The case is definitely tiny as hell, but I think it will work.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
CaptainAhab said:
Am I crazy, or does the cpu fan recommended in the $600 build not fit in the case recommended?
I apologize for that. It was a last minute swap from cases that did fit it in and instead of rechecking if it did fit (since the case and go horizontal) I didn't.

I added the case section, removed the 360 from the list, and made a note about tall rifle coolers and longer GPUs.

Basic Desktop Questions
Your Current Specs: Computer I'm selling to a friend, 8800GTS, 2GB Ram, Dual Core something, nothing crazy.
Budget: 1500 give or take, Australia Already have a monitor
Main Use: General Usage including watching videos, Gaming gaming gaming duh, and I would like to emulate PS2/Wii, I own both consoles but don't have any of the cords/bluetooth things/adapters I have heard you need.
Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Um Starcraft 2, Crysis! Battlefield Bad Company, DoW2... Mainly SC2/Crysis are the big ones but I'm pretty all over the place with gaming. As mentioned I'd really, really like to get into PS2/Wii Emulation.
Are reusing any parts?: My monitor, DVI/HDMI in BENQ 1080 monitor
When will you build?: in the next month or so, give or take?
Will you be overclocking?: Nope

OK So filled in that, Live in Australia, put together a little PC for myself based on MSY.com.au pdf pricelist, even checked and the mitcham store has all but the CPU/Motherboard and will get them soon, soooo critique away

CPU i5 760 -$209
GPU (this is the big one) 6950 2GB- $359
Motherboard- Asus p7p55LX- 112
SSD- Patriot Inferno Sanforce 60GB $135 or the intel 40GB one for a similar price
HDD Seagate Sata3 2TB $119 (I have a lot of shit)
Case Sonata 3 comes with 500W antec? power supply
RAM 8GB 1600 Gskill or Patriot DDR RAM $133
A DVD drive 30 bucks or so
Windows OEM 7 home- 99
network wifi card 30 or so (any reccomendations? Was thinking the PCI D Link DWA one)
KB- Razer Arctosa $45
Logitech g500 $77

What do I need for PS2/Wii emulation. I have a PS2, Gamecube, Wii, and a PS3/Xbox 360 plus an xbox 360 PC Controller... plus obviously PS3 controllers.

I assume you need a bluetooth adapter and a wireless sensor bar? Any tips on which ones are good for Australian delivery?

I know the Graphics card is a bit overkill but my entire life I've been behind the curve gpu wise. I really just want to have a good one for once :(
8Gb Ram for a bit of future proofing
the SSD any reccomendations? I read good things about the patriot inferno one but it might be sold out... I dunno :(

Thanks guys :)

AkIRA_22

·feist· said:
Changed to reflect the new price range suggestions. Like I said, $120-$200 is really tough because of the countless options and the fact that wants start to seriously outweigh needs for most people. Videos pending if these are fine.

Thoughts?

$40-60
2zjjd5c.jpg
$40 - Cooler Master 310/33x/341
fc7j1l.jpg
$40 - NZXT Beta Evo
2gy20kj.jpg
$50 - Antec 300
dv51i.jpg
$60 - Cooler Master HAF 912​
[QUIET OPTION]
s6pzxy.jpg
$60 - Antec Sonata Proto​
[/INDENT]

I had the CM 341

Coolermaster-Cooler-Master-Elite-341-m-ATX-Mini-Tower-Case-Black-RC-341C-KKN1-0.jpg

it is a great little case. you can get plenty of HDD and even a full length card. I had a Q6600 with a 4850 OCd the lot with three HDDs. With THREE intake fans and a single out the back the air flow is through the roof. It's midget volume keeps air exchanges to a maximum so everything is cool. For people who are thinking of a uATX build on the cheap this is a great starter.

NIN90

So I got a 120hz monitor a few days ago.
Now my FPS won't get higher than 120 in my games! :(
I used to get a cool solid 250 FPS in CoD2 with my 60hz monitor but now I can't even reach 125. :(
Anyone know a workaround?

TheExodu5

Banned
teacupcopter said:
Basic Desktop Questions
Your Current Specs: Computer I'm selling to a friend, 8800GTS, 2GB Ram, Dual Core something, nothing crazy.
Budget: 1500 give or take, Australia Already have a monitor
Main Use: General Usage including watching videos, Gaming gaming gaming duh, and I would like to emulate PS2/Wii, I own both consoles but don't have any of the cords/bluetooth things/adapters I have heard you need.
Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Um Starcraft 2, Crysis! Battlefield Bad Company, DoW2... Mainly SC2/Crysis are the big ones but I'm pretty all over the place with gaming. As mentioned I'd really, really like to get into PS2/Wii Emulation.
Are reusing any parts?: My monitor, DVI/HDMI in BENQ 1080 monitor
When will you build?: in the next month or so, give or take?
Will you be overclocking?: Nope

OK So filled in that, Live in Australia, put together a little PC for myself based on MSY.com.au pdf pricelist, even checked and the mitcham store has all but the CPU/Motherboard and will get them soon, soooo critique away

CPU i5 760 -$209
GPU (this is the big one) 6950 2GB- $359
Motherboard- Asus p7p55LX- 112
SSD- Patriot Inferno Sanforce 60GB $135 or the intel 40GB one for a similar price
HDD Seagate Sata3 2TB $119 (I have a lot of shit)
Case Sonata 3 comes with 500W antec? power supply
RAM 8GB 1600 Gskill or Patriot DDR RAM $133
A DVD drive 30 bucks or so
Windows OEM 7 home- 99
network wifi card 30 or so (any reccomendations? Was thinking the PCI D Link DWA one)
KB- Razer Arctosa $45
Logitech g500 $77

What do I need for PS2/Wii emulation. I have a PS2, Gamecube, Wii, and a PS3/Xbox 360 plus an xbox 360 PC Controller... plus obviously PS3 controllers.

I assume you need a bluetooth adapter and a wireless sensor bar? Any tips on which ones are good for Australian delivery?

I know the Graphics card is a bit overkill but my entire life I've been behind the curve gpu wise. I really just want to have a good one for once :(
8Gb Ram for a bit of future proofing
the SSD any reccomendations? I read good things about the patriot inferno one but it might be sold out... I dunno :(

Thanks guys :)

Wait a week and a half for Sandy Bridge, especially if you're looking into emulation. Don't buy i5/i7 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom