• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChryZ

All my bios settings were on auto since I built my PC a few months ago. I enjoyed my rock solid system running stock clock including turboboost, C3/C6 and EIST. Lately I hit the performance ceiling way too many times, so why not overclock? Read up on OC and many guides started with disable turbo and eist, all the awesome features. Unsatisfactory, so I dug a bit deeper and was able to keep the features thanks to load-line calibration and dynamic vcore.

MOBO Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4,
Load-Line Calibration = AUTO
CPU Vcore = NORMAL
Dynamic Vcore (DVID) = +0.02500 V

Intel TurboBoost Tech = ENABLED
C3/C6 State Support = ENABLED
CPU EIST Function = ENABLED

Bus 150MHz, idle (9x) 1350MHz @ 0.86V, load (22x) 3300MHz @ 1.25V

Idle:
150_idle.jpg

Load:
150_load.jpg

Went really well, used it for a few days then cranked it up a notch

Bus 160MHz, idle (9x) 1440MHz @ 0.86V, load (22x) 3520MHz @ 1.25V

Idle:
160_idle.jpg

Load:
160_load.jpg

Dynamic overclocking/speedstep while maintaining the awesome energy saving features and temperature perks! Surely just a mild overclock, but I've seen stable 4GHz i5 760 running at 1.26V so there's still headroom:

Fuck_Yeah.jpg

I'm looking to build a basic desktop. The $600 build in the OP seems like it would be sufficient, but I think it might be overkill. Also, how quiet would it be? Since it has the cooling unit I imagine it wouldn't be too bad. I may sometimes want to hook this up in my living room so noise is a concern for me.

I'll need to get a monitor. ASUS monitors are supposed to be good quality, right?

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: A very weak laptop. I don't currently own any desktop components so my new pc would be built from zero.

Budget:
$600, though since my needs are minimal I'm hoping to spend less. I'm in the USA.

Main Use: The most hardware intensive ones would be light gaming and hulu. I pretty much won't be doing any serious 3-d gaming, but I want to be able to play the games listed below.

Monitor Resolution: 1080p.

List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Mount and Blade Warband, Mirror's Edge, and Stalker are probably the most advanced games I intend to play on this.

Are reusing any parts?: None.
When will you build?: I can wait a month or two.
Will you be overclocking?: No.

Thanks for the great thread.

JoeBoy101

leroy hacker said:
I'm looking to build a basic desktop. The $600 build in the OP seems like it would be sufficient, but I think it might be overkill. Also, how quiet would it be? Since it has the cooling unit I imagine it wouldn't be too bad. I may sometimes want to hook this up in my living room so noise is a concern for me.

I'll need to get a monitor. ASUS monitors are supposed to be good quality, right?

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: A very weak laptop. I don't currently own any desktop components so my new pc would be built from zero.

Budget:
$600, though since my needs are minimal I'm hoping to spend less. I'm in the USA.

Main Use: The most hardware intensive ones would be light gaming and hulu. I pretty much won't be doing any serious 3-d gaming, but I want to be able to play the games listed below.

Monitor Resolution: 1080p.

List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Mount and Blade Warband, Mirror's Edge, and Stalker are probably the most advanced games I intend to play on this.

Are reusing any parts?: None.
When will you build?: I can wait a month or two.
Will you be overclocking?: No.

Thanks for the great thread.

If you think the $600 is overkill, than that is what you want. Especially considering you won't be able to get reasonably cheaper without sacrificing quality of parts.

sam27368

Banned
I posted on the Dolphin emulator thread without realising there was a thread here, apologies for that!

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a powerful gaming rig (in the region of £1500-£2000) that will run all modern games and the PS2 and Dolphin emulators smoothly with good looking results. Thanks in advance!

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
sam27368 said:
I posted on the Dolphin emulator thread without realising there was a thread here, apologies for that!

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a powerful gaming rig (in the region of £1500-£2000) that will run all modern games and the PS2 and Dolphin emulators smoothly with good looking results. Thanks in advance!
Well, that's a very nice budget you got there. Emulation is CPU dependent, so you want the rig with the most powerful CPU you can get, so an Intel Core i7 980? But you can get pretty good results going a lot cheaper.

2San

Ugh never had this much trouble installing an OS ever(doing it for my brother). Honestly Windows 7 is so shitty to install. I actually had to take out the RAM to make it install. Seems like having more than 2gb ram hurts W7's feelings. After that the piece of shit would only start up in safe mode. Tried installing drivers via Safe made. Now it does start, but after the login screen the thing is fucking slow as fuck, so I can't do anything. I'm guessing it's because drivers don't install properly in safe mode. I don't feel like reinstalling again, since I already put the RAM in. Honestly wtf is the 64bit version for if the installer hates RAM. >_> XP 64bit was way better. :|

sam27368 said:

You'll only need to spend around £1200, going over that is kind of overkill. Wait until Sandy Bridge (week or so) and then ask again :D.

2San said:
Ugh never had this much trouble installing an OS ever(doing it for my brother). Honestly Windows 7 is so shitty to install. I actually had to take out the RAM to make it install. Seems like having more than 2gb ram hurts W7's feelings. After that the piece of shit would only start up in safe mode. Tried installing drivers via Safe made. Now it does start, but after the login screen the thing is fucking slow as fuck, so I can't do anything. I'm guessing it's because drivers don't install properly in safe mode. I don't feel like reinstalling again, since I already put the RAM in. Honestly wtf is the 64bit version for if the installer hates RAM. >_> XP 64bit was way better. :|

I've never installed 64bit windows 7 with less than 4gb of ram... Sounds like something on your end.

2San

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I've never installed 64bit windows 7 with less than 4gb of ram... Sounds like something on your end.
Considering more people have this problem according to google(followed their advice actually since the installer kept freezing). Still doesn't explain why the installer magically works when I remove the RAM. I can install windows XP 64bit just fine mind you.

TheExodu5

Banned
2San said:
Considering more people have this problem according to google(followed their advice actually since the installer kept freezing). Still doesn't explain why the installer magically works when I remove the RAM. I can install windows XP 64bit just fine mind you.
Because your RAM (or DIMM slot) is broken...

2San said:

Probably like Exodus said you either have bad ram or bad slot on mobo or your bios needs to be updated. How many slots are filled? Some boards have problems when all ram slots are filled, etc. There are a whole list of reasons it could happen that aren't microsoft's fault at all. And just because more than yourself have this problem doesn't mean it isn't a problem on our end.

Shambles

2San said:

Yeah it's a hardware problem. Try downloading and running something called memtest. It's a small utility that you can boot into that puts your memory through the paces and can detect if you have a bad stick or not.

2San

TheExodu5 said:
Because your RAM (or DIMM slot) is broken...
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Probably like Exodus said you either have bad ram or bad slot on mobo or your bios needs to be updated. How many slots are filled? Some boards have problems when all ram slots are filled, etc. There are a whole list of reasons it could happen that aren't microsoft's fault at all. And just because more than yourself have this problem doesn't mean it isn't a problem on our end.
All RAM slots are filled. Again this was never an issue with XP 64bit. It's probably a compatibility issue.

Managed to install it again. Managed to install the drivers properly this time as well.

Shambles said:
Yeah it's a hardware problem. Try downloading and running something called memtest. It's a small utility that you can boot into that puts your memory through the paces and can detect if you have a bad stick or not.
I'll try it in a sec. Have to put the RAM in again.

2San said:
All RAM slots are filled. Again this was never an issue with XP 64bit. It's probably a compatibility issue.

Managed to install it again. Managed to install the drivers properly this time as well.

I'll try it in a sec. Have to put the RAM in again.

Doesn't mean it isn't a hardware failure just because it worked on XP.

2San

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Doesn't mean it isn't a hardware failure just because it worked on XP.
True, I was in rage mode so couldn't think clearly. Trying that memtest to figure things out. It seems to properly test it, I have to do it one by one. It'll take a while.

edit:Seems it is the RAM my brother upgraded recently. Time to go out for new years. ;O Please forgive me, Windows 7 is awesome.

Korranator said:
So is keeping an older GPU to run as a dedicated Physx card worth the hassle?

Depending on the card it's not bad as long as you're playing a game that uses Physx. I wouldn't go out of my way but if it's just moving it down one slot and don't need a new PSU or anything why not?

2San said:
True, I was in rage mode so couldn't think clearly. Trying that memtest to figure things out. It seems to properly test it, I have to do it one by one. It'll take a while.

edit:Seems it is the RAM my brother upgraded recently. Time to go out for new years. ;O Please forgive me, Windows 7 is awesome.

No problem, glad it's working correctly now. :D

Shambles

2San said:

And there was much rejoicing :D

New computer is up and running. Bad Company 2 and Dead Rising 2 run soo well. :D

Also, games that use gfwl on top of Steam can bite me.

So yeah, I get home today...and my father tells me power unit in my PC died. Sure enough, the computer doesn't even boot, checked with other power cable and nothing. So on Sunday I'm off to buy new power unit.

Question: is it difficult to replace it? I managed to unscrew it and disconnect all the cables, doesn't look that much difficult. I know I need to buy a unit with W capacity same of greater than the old one (was 500W, was thinking of getting 650W).

The only thing I'm getting confused: my GPU (260GTX) was connected by PCI-Express and another cable. My guess is it has 2xPCI-E but the old power unit didn't so it needed to use an adapter. If the new unit has 2xPCI-E can I simply plug both of them to the GPU?

TheExodu5

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
The only thing I'm getting confused: my GPU (260GTX) was connected by PCI-Express and another cable. My guess is it has 2xPCI-E but the old power unit didn't so it needed to use an adapter. If the new unit has 2xPCI-E can I simply plug both of them to the GPU?

Yes to your question.

Your best bet would probably be a Corsair 650TX. Good quality power supply, great warranty. If you want to go cheap, then go OCZ.

sikkinixx

I was planning on getting a 460 to replace my 8800GT for the longest time, but I am kind of torn between that and a 6850.

Right now I can get this Gigabyte 6850 for $176cdn, which is a bit less than a 1GB 460 card.

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/231361/GV-R685D5-1GD/Gigabyte/

It's nice as there is no MIR attached to get it under $200 like most of the 1GB 460 cards have (most are $200+ with a MIR to bring it closer to $175).

But I dunno if I want to get an ATI/AMD card as I know their drivers aren't supposed to be quite as good... What do I do GAF? Wait until a 460 1GB goes on sale again?

asdad123

You guys got any suggestions for quiet 120mm fans?

I'm currently only have 1 plus the fan on my hyper 212+ and my computer is much louder than my brothers old one (xps420), even on the lowest settings in speed fan.

Any suggestions? Looking for 2 120mm fans and also, is it possible to replace the fan on the hyper 212+?

TheExodu5 said:
Wait a week and a half for Sandy Bridge, especially if you're looking into emulation. Don't buy i5/i7 now.

Hm A quick google is saying sandy bridge is a new type of cpu chip made by intel... I can't find much else. Will it actually be called Sandy Bridge or will it be like the Intel isomething (basically how can I go to stores here in Australia and ask if it's going to be available anytime soon)

I've got no problem waiting if it's a significant bump up though, but if it knocks it out of my price range then I might have to deal and get a normal one :(

Nabs

teacupcopter said:
Hm A quick google is saying sandy bridge is a new type of cpu chip made by intel... I can't find much else. Will it actually be called Sandy Bridge or will it be like the Intel isomething (basically how can I go to stores here in Australia and ask if it's going to be available anytime soon)

I've got no problem waiting if it's a significant bump up though, but if it knocks it out of my price range then I might have to deal and get a normal one :(

i5/i7 but with numbers like 2300/2500/2600. Just wait a bit.

U2NUMB

So.. I know little to nothing about PC gaming but I would like to get into it .. not hardcore but just without breaking the bank dip my toe in.

Now I found a PC that seems to have some good specs but I know I will need an upgraded graphics card. If I could get some info on what video card you guys suggest to put into this rig.. an HDMI out would be nice.

Dell - Inspiron Desktop / Intel® Core™ i3 Processor / 6GB Memory / 750GB Hard Drive

I know its not top of the line or even close to it but I think with a good video card added on it might not be too bad. Any suggestions for a card that would work in this PC?

Thanks in advance

artist

Banned
teacupcopter said:
name.png

Here is the complete list with model numbers, details & prices; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)#Mainstream_.2F_High-End

teacupcopter said:
Its an evolutionary new architecture. Expect performance increases in the range of 10-20% atleast with lower power consumption.

Anand did some benchmarks on some engineering samples. If you dont want to go through in detail, just skip to the conclusion.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row

Sweet, the prices aren't that out of control either. Anyone know when it's hitting Australia? I am getting mixed results when I'm searching. Thanks for all the info guys :)

artist

Banned
U2NUMB said:
So.. I know little to nothing about PC gaming but I would like to get into it .. not hardcore but just without breaking the bank dip my toe in.

Now I found a PC that seems to have some good specs but I know I will need an upgraded graphics card. If I could get some info on what video card you guys suggest to put into this rig.. an HDMI out would be nice.

Dell - Inspiron Desktop / Intel® Core™ i3 Processor / 6GB Memory / 750GB Hard Drive

I know its not top of the line or even close to it but I think with a good video card added on it might not be too bad. Any suggestions for a card that would work in this PC?

Thanks in advance
Your link doesnt work but is it the 580s? It seems like the PSU is 300W, you might get away with a low profile 5650 ..

artist

Banned
teacupcopter said:
Sweet, the prices aren't that out of control either. Anyone know when it's hitting Australia? I am getting mixed results when I'm searching. Thanks for all the info guys :)
Its already on sale in Asia and some outlets in europe. I would bet you check with your local retailers for the most accurate answer. The launch is slated for the 5th.

irfan said:
Its already on sale in Asia and some outlets in europe. I would bet you check with your local retailers for the most accurate answer. The launch is slated for the 5th.

Yeah, I might shoot a few emails around, I've got a few really good retailers in terms of price near me who I would imagine would stock something like this.

Well in terms of what I was getting before- i5 760, what's the equivelant I could be looking at with the sandy bridge stuff, give or take? And when asking/talking/emailing... do I literally call it sandy bridge? I don't want to appear to be a total retard when talking to them (protip I pretty much am a total retard when it comes to PCs, that's why I'm enlisting a friend to help build it, but I really like doing my research first)

If I rock up and go "excuse me can you please tell me the release date of the new intel sandy bridge chips" will they go "dude you idiot what are you talking about"

Nabs

U2NUMB said:

Thanks in advance

That PC just isn't worth the price. Especially if you're planning on adding a decent card.

teacupcopter said:

Intel i7, i5, same as now. I think sandy bridge is the name of the architecture just like the old i7s and stuff were nehalem based.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Intel i7, i5, same as now. I think sandy bridge is the name of the architecture just like the old i7s and stuff were nehalem based.

So I could get the i5 760 and just specifically ask if/when they are getting the 'lga 1155' model?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I'm not sure what you're asking.

Sorry, I mean how will I tell if what they are selling is the new architecture stuff or the old, if they are still carrying the names of i5 and i7 over?

From what I've been linked so far it seems the identifier other than 'sandy bridge' is that it's got 'lga 1155' attached to it as well...

Wallach

Well, I actually went ahead and put the order through for that 690 II Advanced after talking to a friend that should be able to re-cable my MDR-V6 cans. I don't think everything will be in for another week or so but I'll get some pics up when I get everything migrated over.

I realized last night that I don't have any more lint-free cloth to get the thermal off my CPU. You guys ever use q-tips or anything else?

teacupcopter said:
Sorry, I mean how will I tell if what they are selling is the new architecture stuff or the old, if they are still carrying the names of i5 and i7 over?

From what I've been linked so far it seems the identifier other than 'sandy bridge' is that it's got 'lga 1155' attached to it as well...

Actually I have read it now, they are changing the names to like i5- 2XXX or i7- 2XXX now

There doesn't seem to be an i5-2760 though :( What's the equivalent?

teacupcopter said:

Well, that and the model numbers. If you look at what the guy posted about there are 2600,2600k,etc. Old naming was 950,970,etc.

teacupcopter said:
Actually I have read it now, they are changing the names to like i5- 2XXX or i7- 2XXX now

There doesn't seem to be an i5-2760 though :( What's the equivalent?

What do you mean equivalent? Equivalent to the i5 760? Why would you want equivalent when you can get better for close to the same if not the same price if the benchmarks are true?

Seagoon

I'm looking at upgrading the graphics card on my HTPC. Currently I have an AMD 785G board with a Radeon 4200 integrated GPU and have the PC connected to my HDTV via HDMI.

What I'm trying to achieve is a way to toggle between HDMI and DVI via software (hopefully using a hotkey setup of some kind). Currently if I have both DVI and HDMI connected at the same time, the DVI is disabled until the HDMI cable is pulled from the PC.

Is it possible to have two physical connections to a graphics card (DVI + HDMI) and toggle between them - or is this a limitation of all graphics cards?

Seagoon said:
I'm looking at upgrading the graphics card on my HTPC. Currently I have an AMD 785G board with a Radeon 4200 integrated GPU and have the PC connected to my HDTV via HDMI.

What I'm trying to achieve is a way to toggle between HDMI and DVI via software (hopefully using a hotkey setup of some kind). Currently if I have both DVI and HDMI connected at the same time, the DVI is disabled until the HDMI cable is pulled from the PC.

Is it possible to have two physical connections to a graphics card (DVI + HDMI) and toggle between them - or is this a limitation of all graphics cards?

What do you mean toggle between them? If it's showing the same image why not just mirror them and leave it at that?

"What do you mean equivalent? Equivalent to the i5 760? Why would you want equivalent when you can get better for close to the same if not the same price if the benchmarks are true?"

I'm assuming he means what's the equivalent of a 760 in the product range. Which would probably be the 2500K.

Teknopathetic said:
"What do you mean equivalent? Equivalent to the i5 760? Why would you want equivalent when you can get better for close to the same if not the same price if the benchmarks are true?"

I'm assuming he means what's the equivalent of a 760 in the product range. Which would probably be the 2500K.

Ya, thought of that after I posted. Have we gotten actual pricing yet to see what would cost the same as a 760? I'm assuming the leaked prices a month ago are that accurate?

Seagoon

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What do you mean toggle between them? If it's showing the same image why not just mirror them and leave it at that?
By toggle between them I mean output only on DVI or output only on HDMI. The HDTV is only 720P whereas the monitor connected via DVI is 1680x1050. I'd like to be able to setup some profiles something along the lines of:

Profile: DVI
Resolution: 1680x1050
Output: DVI

Profile: HDMI
Resolution: 1280x720
Output: HDMI

I can set these up using the Radeon control panel with my current setup, but I beleive there is a hardware restriction on the board that disables all other outputs if the HDMI cable is connected. I guess what I'm asking is if all cards will have this same restriction or are add-in cards more flexible.

Mirroring poses two problems, the first it that DVI is disabled as soon as HDMI is connected. The second problem is that the monitor looks awful if it is not running at the native resolution.

Yeah that's what I meant. I'm sorry I'm such a fucking idiot when it comes to this stuff, I swear it makes sense in my brain when I type it. I mean like... yeah, the new 'sandy bridge' will obviously be more powerful but if I was looking at the power to price point range of the ii5-760, like what would be good for me in the new range? I only asked because on wiki and the anandtech writeup someone linked before they have some direct things like "i7-750-- i7-2750" like that will be the direct upgrade to it, but the i5-760 was noticably missing from that.

So the i5-2500k would be a good bet and a definite upgrade on the i5-760 yeah? Just to make sure (I'm really grateful for all this :))

Seagoon said:
By toggle between them I mean output only on DVI or output only on HDMI. The HDTV is only 720P whereas the monitor connected via DVI is 1680x1050. I'd like to be able to setup some profiles something along the lines of:

Profile: DVI
Resolution: 1680x1050
Output: DVI

Profile: HDMI
Resolution: 1280x720
Output: HDMI

I can set these up using the Radeon control panel with my current setup, but I beleive there is a hardware restriction on the board that disables all other outputs if the HDMI cable is connected. I guess what I'm asking is if all cards will have this same restriction or are add-in cards more flexible.

Mirroring poses two problems, the first it that DVI is disabled as soon as HDMI is connected. The second problem is that the monitor looks awful if it is not running at the native resolution.

I don't think I've heard of that problem with other cards... All the drivers are up to date and everything? I'm pretty sure there were people in the other thread who had a similar setup to you IIRC.

teacupcopter said:
Yeah that's what I meant. I'm sorry I'm such a fucking idiot when it comes to this stuff, I swear it makes sense in my brain when I type it. I mean like... yeah, the new 'sandy bridge' will obviously be more powerful but if I was looking at the power to price point range of the ii5-760, like what would be good for me in the new range? I only asked because on wiki and the anandtech writeup someone linked before they have some direct things like "i7-750-- i7-2750" like that will be the direct upgrade to it, but the i5-760 was noticably missing from that.

So the i5-2500k would be a good bet and a definite upgrade on the i5-760 yeah? Just to make sure (I'm really grateful for all this :))

We'll know more when we see more benchmarks but it will definitely be an increase in performance and if the pricing leak was correct it will be going for essentially the same price as the 760 is now. If worse comes to worse it should hopefully push down the price of the 760 hopefully if you don't want sandy bridge so you can really only benefit by waiting the week. And don't worry my brain was half asleep too by not catching what you were saying like Tekno did.

Seagoon

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I don't think I've heard of that problem with other cards... All the drivers are up to date and everything? I'm pretty sure there were people in the other thread who had a similar setup to you IIRC.

Drivers are up to date - I read something in the past that lead me to believe it was a motherboard thing - if other people haven't had this problem maybe that confirms it. I just don't want to buy a card and find the problem still exists.

EDIT: This link confirms my motherboard cannot do both: http://superuser.com/questions/1518...ys-work-on-a-amd-785g-ati-hd-4200-motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom