• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogojira

irfan said:
I think you can some cash to spare :p and not sure if you are going to like this "value" suggestion of mine. Get a 6950, save $50 bucks and mod to a 6970. With a 2GB framebuffer and a new arch, you are bound to get more performance/life out of it. ;)

So, uh, hey does one "mod" to a 6970, haha. Sorry, I'm not familiar with a lot of the terminology.

Chiggs clearly missed the end of the 2010 thread where I lamented over how so many cases look terrible and there were several suggestions and mentions for clean looking mid and full tower cases.

But nah, all of us just have a focus on absurd looking cases!

"You basically just overclock the card to the same speed of a 6970."

No, that's not it at all. You flash the card with a different bios to unlock the shader units that are normally locked on a 6950. This brings it up to the same amount of shader units as a 6970. There's a link with instructions in the 6950/6970 thread.

Teknopathetic, that Silverstone you opted for is an abomination, though.

JoeBoy101 said:
Actually, on my worksheet, I'm keeping track of Amazon and Newegg prices, but that one seems updated with the rebate compared to what I had. Still, after having a 'innovative' case with my current machine, I'm leaning to something more standard. But obviously, I got a bit of time to torture myself until SB comes out. :D
I understand your reservation, but they've been implementing the angled motherboard for years now and it isn't much different from all the inverted cases out there

314xIYWr%2BnL._AA300_.jpg

In fact, it's actually better. A few heatpipe and custom cooler arrangements may not be ideal for it, but that doesn't change the fact the Raven's twin, the FT02, is about the best overall air cooler next to the HAF X. That said, I still wish they would have built a FT01-Evo of some sort, or tweaked the FT02 a bit.

On the other hand, the 922 is one of the best in its class and costs nearly half what the RV02 goes for.

This year I plan to keep the machine I have currently but do a little upgrading, first thing I want to do is once I can find a cheap yet suitible SSD of average size to hold win7 and some other work tools I load up often I will be buying one, I want to upgrade my c2d 2.6 also, lovely as the cheap chip is (can OC it to 3.2 before it crashes) I could benefit greatly from a 4 core chip.

My gtx260 is still going great, I thank brain stew for telling me to buy one instead of a lower end card, the £80 price difference is really paying off 20 months later.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
I'm pretty set on this being the build for my mom's computer. I have an old Nvidia 9400GT that I'll add as well. The whole thing is $340 with no shipping charges. It appears that there is a high success rate with unlocking the second core of the AMD Sempron processor, so I have a motherboard with ACC support. Even if it doesn't unlock, my mom will just use it for netflix streaming, email, etc. I'm pretty set on ordering the parts, but I thought I'd let anyone take a look if there is a glaring problem with compatibility or there is a much better product that could be substituted for a small increase in price. Thanks much.

339pnr5.jpg

gogojira

irfan said:
Obviously. If you are dead set on CUDA etc then go with the 570.

Not deadset on anything and I have no idea what CUDA is.

I'm so out of the loop on what to get it's ridiculous. I'll just be piecing it together as I go and before I purchase anything, I'll link in here for some pointers.

Chiggs

Gold Member
·feist· said:
You must have missed a few of the cases TheExodu5 and I recommended earlier.

Nice post. While I understand that tastes differ, I have a hard time rationalizing a grown man sitting in his den with some disco LED monstrosity that's better off in some teenager's ADHD robot fantasy.

If this forum had an HOA-type organization in order to monitor pc styles, I would love to sit on the board. :D

"Let's keep it classy, folks."

artist

Banned
gogojira said:
Not deadset on anything and I have no idea what CUDA is.

I'm so out of the loop on what to get it's ridiculous. I'll just be piecing it together as I go and before I purchase anything, I'll link in here for some pointers.
CUDA is Nvidia's compute processing. AMD has their own (Stream) but its not as popular as CUDA. Both vendors have their own exclusive features or features that they do better than the other.

TheExodu5

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:
Think its worth it to upgrade from 1680*1050? I've been pretty happy with my 21" and the slightly lesser resolution has been helping on framerates I think.
Honestly, 1680 is a nice res. I'd upgrade for the size more than anything else.

Then again, I run on a 32" TV.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Teknopathetic said:
Chiggs clearly missed the end of the 2010 thread where I lamented over how so many cases look terrible and there were several suggestions and mentions for clean looking mid and full tower cases.

I did, actually. Glad the subject was covered, though. Some of the stuff that's out there is really terrible.

TheExodu5

Banned
Chiggs said:
Nice post. While I understand that tastes differ, I have a hard time rationalizing a grown man sitting in his den with some disco LED monstrosity that's better off in some teenager's ADHD robot fantasy.

If this forum had an HOA-type organization in order to monitor pc styles, I would love to sit on the board. :D

"Let's keep it classy, folks."
The Cooler Master HAF X has only one dim red LED, which can be turned off with the press of a button.

I searched for a good performing, standard (not FT02, or PC-X900), sleek case, but it doesn't really exist. The FT-01 is the closest I came to it, but it's outdated with poor cable management and other issues.

The HAF X honesty looks quite stunning in person. Very beautiful matte paint finish. More than that though, it performs incredibly well, and is very, very easy to work with due to the tool-less design, ample space, and great cable management.

Seriously though...find me a standard case that will match the HAF X and looks sleek. Spoiler: it doesn't exist. The 800D is close, but the airflow is severely lacking. The 600T performs great, but has way too much plastic.

You need to compromise somewhere. I compromised by giving up the sleek look.

Chiggs

Gold Member
TheExodu5 said:
The Cooler Master HAF X has only one dim red LED, which can be turned off with the press of a button.

I searched for a good performing, standard (not FT02, or PC-X900), sleek case, but it doesn't really exist. The FT-01 is the closest I came to it, but it's outdated with poor cable management and other issues.

The HAF X honesty looks quite stunning in person. Very beautiful matte paint finish. More than that though, it performs incredibly well, an is very, very easy to work with due to the tool-less design, ample space, and great cable management.

Seriously though...find me a standard case that will match the HAF X and looks sleek. Spoiler: it doesn't exist.

How about the Cosmos Pure?

Edit: Hmmm...availability might be a problem. Not at New Egg.

TheExodu5

Banned
Chiggs said:
How about the Cosmos Pure?

Edit: Hmmm...availability might be a problem. Not at New Egg.
Not very good airflow, with a single 120mm intake feeding 3 120mm exhausts (dust ahoy!). Poor cable management holes. No CPU cutout Also incredibly pricey.

It certainly is an option, but again, compromises have to be made.

To be honest, it never came up in my searches though. Looks like it's been discontinued. Too bad. :(

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Chiggs said:
Ugh! Too much of a focus on absurd-looking tower cases in this thread. All the cool kids know that HTPCs and SFF systems are where it's at.:D
I don't know if your comment was because of my picture, but the case I showed was a Lian Li PC-X500
lian_li_tyr_pc_x500.jpg

I am posting a stock photo because I don't have a camera that can make it justice.

It offers incredible airflow, it is made out of 100% aluminium, and it looks great. The only drawback is that since it is a mid-tower case (a requirement for my workspace) it is a bit difficult to work with.

Chiggs

Gold Member
godhandiscen said:
I don't know if your comment was because of my picture, but the case I showed was a Lian Li PC-X500

I am posting a stock photo because I don't have a camera that can make it justice.

It offers incredible airflow, it is made out of 100% aluminium, and it looks great. The only drawback is that since it is a mid-tower case (a requirement for my workspace) it is a bit difficult to work with.

Nope, not at all. That's a lovely case. Pricey?

godhandiscen

Chiggs said:
Nope, not at all. That's a lovely case. Pricey?
The don't sell t anymore, but I think it costed me $410 from Newegg. The dowgraded ABS 595 model cannot fit large PSU's but I've seen it on sale a few times @ $200.

Teknopathetic said:
"Only $400."

I've seen them on fleabay for 270$ new.

Same with the ABS Canyon 595, which I believe is the same case.
Maybe it is the ABS version. I know ABS made a fuckup in the layout of the 595 and that's why it sees less demand. I remember I was warned of it by the people @ [H]

TheExodu5

Banned
I was strongly considering a PC-X900, but couldnt justify the extra $200 over the HAF X (which I ended up getting for a ridiculous $130). I was also kind of dissuaded after I sampled the lower en Lian-Li cases. The aluminum was incredibly thin and flimsy compared to Silverstone.

I'm also not really seein the advantage of aluminum. It save you maybe 10 pounds on the PC.

"I was strongly considering a PC-X900, but couldnt justify the extra $200 over the HAF X (which I ended up getting for a ridiculous $130). I was also kind of dissuaded after I sampled the lower en Lian-Li cases. The aluminum was incredibly thin and flimsy compared to Silverstone."

What was it about the "non-standard"-ness of the Silverstone that you dislike?

godhandiscen

TheExodu5 said:
I was strongly considering a PC-X900, but couldnt justify the extra $200 over the HAF X (which I ended up getting for a ridiculous $130). I was also kind of dissuaded after I sampled the lower en Lian-Li cases. The aluminum was incredibly thin and flimsy compared to Silverstone.

I'm also not really seein the advantage of aluminum. It save you maybe 10 pounds on the PC.
My case had to fit an extremely tight space under my desk. I think I will go full tower after I move to a different place.

TheExodu5

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"I was strongly considering a PC-X900, but couldnt justify the extra $200 over the HAF X (which I ended up getting for a ridiculous $130). I was also kind of dissuaded after I sampled the lower en Lian-Li cases. The aluminum was incredibly thin and flimsy compared to Silverstone."

What was it about the "non-standard"-ness of the Silverstone that you dislike?
The setup looks cramped (HDDs packed against the GPUs, heatsink against the PSU). Furthermore, the PC needs to go under my desk on the right side, which puts the opening on the wrong side. Finally, I plug and unplug stuff from the back of my case pretty often, and removing the top panel every time I want to do that seemed like a chore.

Despite all that, it was still a strong contender. I ended up going with the HAF X because I got it so cheap.

TheExodu5

Banned
godhandiscen said:
My case had to fit an extremely tight space under my desk. I think I will go full tower after I move to a different place.
Not knocking you for getting it. It is an incredibly sexy case after all.

godhandiscen

Anyway, I was actually checking the thread because I want to ask about SSD's. When is the new generation if Intel SSD's coming out? I have only seen that old roadmap which scheduled the SSD's for this month, but I feel Intel might be late considering that I haven't read anything about the new batch of SSD's or their prices.

Dudes Talking About PC Cases and Nothing Else [OT]

godhandiscen said:
http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/lian_li_tyr_pc_x500.jpg

Funny you should bring that up as a big part of me wants to use the newer Lian Li PC-X500FX for a build at some point. As for justifying the FX's ~$500 price? Well...

lian_li_pc-x500fx.jpg

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/produc...562&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=62&g=spec

TheExodu5 said:
The FT-01 is the closest I came to it, but it's outdated with poor cable management and other issues.
Which is a shame because it gets almost everything right. REALLY wish Silverstone would revise either that or the FT02 to bring them closer to "perfect." Instead, they've moved on to the mATX-only FT03.

224847p2elu2mep2e469l2.jpg

"Fortress FT03 fanless system demonstration"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiJzo89eayg

Silver
http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/Review/...fortress-ft03-a-htpc-builders-dream-case.aspx

Black
http://www.chiphell.com/portal.php?mod=view&aid=491
http://www.chiphell.com/portal.php?mod=view&aid=527

Great case (may even use one), but their FT progression is odd, and doing an RV02-Evo alongside the new RV03, yet refusing to "Evo" either of the first two FT models is a missed opportunity.

godhandiscen said:
Anyway, I was actually checking the thread because I want to ask about SSD's. When is the new generation if Intel SSD's coming out? I have only seen that old roadmap which scheduled the SSD's for this month, but I feel Intel might be late considering that I haven't read anything about the new batch of SSD's or their prices.
Pushed back to Q1 2011. SandForce 2000-based models should begin showing up in that window of time as well.

"Which is a shame because it gets almost everything right. REALLY wish Silverstone would revise either that or the FT02 to bring them closer to "perfect." Instead, they've moved on to the mATX-only FT03."

What do you think of the TJ11? That seems more like an FT03 than the actual FT03.

godhandiscen

·feist· said:
Dudes Talking About PC Cases and Nothing Else [OT]

Funny you should bring that up as a big part of me wants to use the newer Lian Li PC-X500FX for a build at some point. As for justifying the FX's ~$500 price? Well...

lian_li_pc-x500fx.jpg

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/produc...562&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=62&g=spec

Which is a shame because it gets almost everything right. REALLY wish Silverstone would revise either that or the FT02 to bring them closer to "perfect." Instead, they've moved on to the mATX-only FT03.
Yeah, its beautiful. However I want to go bigger once I move out, so I am thinking X2000F once I have the physical space.

godhandiscen

Chiggs said:
Fucking Lian Li....
Feist just showed me they sell a revision, for $500, the PC-X500F. Just get it without the open side panel.

NIN90

Anyone know why my external hard drive is so slow lately? I just finished a 10 gig transfer with 1.1mb/s and it took 2 hours. :/

NIN90 said:
Anyone know why my external hard drive is so slow lately? I just finished a 10 gig transfer with 1.1mb/s and it took 2 hours. :/
Slowly failing motherboard component, or accidentally switched USB setting? You're HDD could just be slowing down naturally over time, particularly as it gets filled up.

Teknopathetic said:
What do you think of the TJ11? That seems more like an FT03 than the actual FT03.
I don't know, really.
While it lacks the TJ07's "just right" looks, it does make up for it with superior airflow and greater watercooling flexibility. Thick panels, seemingly good construction, but something just doesn't work for me. For one, the exterior has an almost haphazard or unfinished look to it. And that's before you factor in that it is supposedly going to cost an eye-watering ~$700 US. When you look at the rising costs of aluminum (much like carbon fibre, despite improvements in technique and production) and broader use in industries like aero and automotive, I can understand that material cost being passed on to the consumer. Either that or they use thinner and/or lower grade aluminum like some companies have (cheaper products with the same retail price).

Wallach

I canceled my order on the 690 II A. Partly because I keep looking at my 300 and realizing this probably is not a good use of my money (my 300 is still in excellent condition), and partly because my fucking MDR-V6 (my only set of working cans right now) seem to have finally laid themselves to rest this morning. Godspeed you amazing bastards.

So yeah, I decided I need to put that cash towards a new set of cans or a gaming headset because I don't do speakers. I'm actually thinking of a pair of HPA2s because the only thing I have with a microphone on it is this Logitech thing that feels like clamping a chain-chomp to your skull. Anyone have experience with these things? I've always just dealt with that headset for multiplayer games and used my MDR-V6s otherwise.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
irfan said:
Is going triple channel worth it? There is some triple channel memory on sale and I was thinking of jumping on it or not. From the wiki it seems only the Extreme i7 will support it ..

What do you think GAF?
It's not worth it.

Also with all this case talk, feist, exodus, make that thumbnailed pricing section!

AkIRA_22

n0n44m said:
can't say I like the look of Antec's HTPC cases

Lian-Li has 3 that accept ATX motherboards, but apart from the fact that they're all pretty expensive they're also quite large as well ... which wouldn't be an issue for HTPC use but most pc gamers use a desk next to which a tower is the most logical option :D

got a Silverstone LC17 downstairs and I like it, but mostly because it looks really discrete and blends in next to the receiver

I agree a lot of towers these days don't look that good, but there are no HTPC cases that offer the same space or cooling at an equally low price while better looking

edit: and I wouldnt install a multi-gpu setup in even the best HTPC cases, as they barely have frontal ventilation because of the "better looking" solid front ... nothing is impossible but I think it is pretty clear why most people wouldn't consider it

This could be the answer. Heaps of air (front, back and top), room for tower CPU cooler and room for a full power uATX rig. Plus it looks smart. Because it's smaller with four fans you would be surprised how well this cools, the air inside the case it replaced much faster than in tower cases. I'll be getting one of these in the new year.

PC-V354-b.jpg

CA-238-LL_32259_400.jpg

Australia
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_30_394&products_id=15809

USA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=Lian_Li_PC-V354-_-11-112-300-_-Product

sh4mike

Question for for the veterans.

Overview:
- currently running an E6750 and 8800GT
- looking to get a sandy 2500 and GTX 460
- can wait until ivy bridge 1356/2011 later in Y2011
- I'm not an overclocker but enjoy good looking games.

I'm looking for value, and I'd like to know what the expected low-range price will be on ivy bridge CPU and mobo later in 2011. If these are the enthusiast chips with price ranges at and above $300, then I'll go sandy 2500 and be happy. But if there will be $200 ivy CPU and GPU products, then I'll wait for Ivy.

How pricey were the low-end 1366 products when released? That should be a decent benchmark.

artist

Banned
Hazaro said:
It's not worth it.

Also with all this case talk, feist, exodus, make that thumbnailed pricing section!
So what would happen if I stick in 3 sticks of 2GB? It wont run in dual-channel?

Performance hits?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
irfan said:
So what would happen if I stick in 3 sticks of 2GB? It wont run in dual-channel?

Performance hits?
Only 1366 boards support triple channel and most of them run dual channel fine. There's no performance benefit do running triple, so it's only useful if you are using more than 4GB of RAM, but less than 8GB.
sh4mike said:
Question for for the veterans.

Overview:
- currently running an E6750 and 8800GT
- looking to get a sandy 2500 and GTX 460
- can wait until ivy bridge 1356/2011 later in Y2011
- I'm not an overclocker but enjoy good looking games.

I'm looking for value, and I'd like to know what the expected low-range price will be on ivy bridge CPU and mobo later in 2011. If these are the enthusiast chips with price ranges at and above $300, then I'll go sandy 2500 and be happy. But if there will be $200 ivy CPU and GPU products, then I'll wait for Ivy.

How pricey were the low-end 1366 products when released? That should be a decent benchmark.
I can't imagine that with a board layout that supports QUAD channel memory and 4x PCI-E lanes will be targeted at the mainstream. 2500K and a 460 is a fantastic buy.

Processor (CPU) Intel Core i5 750 Quad Core Processor Lynnfield LGA1156 2.66GHZ 8MB Cache Retail Box

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM

Hard Drives Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM

Motherboard ASUS P7P55D-E LGA1156 P55 DDR3 2PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFireX USB3.0 SATA 6GB Motherboard

DVD Writer LG GH22NS50 Black 22X SATA DVD Writer OEM

DDR3 Memory (RAM) G.SKILL F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL Ripjaws 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24 240PIN DIMM Memory

Video Cards GeForce GTX 460 675MHZ 1024MB PCI-E Dual DVI Mini HDMI

Computer Case Antec Three Hundred Mini Tower Gaming Case 300 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB & Audio

Power Supply Antec Truepower New 650W Modular Power Supply ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus SLI Ready 120MM PWM Fan

This'll cost me around 1000$ CAD.

How does this look? I'm trying to build a PC mainly for Photoshop and Premiere editing (as well as computer animation), but I'm also planning to game (hence the GTX 460).

I left the idea of SSD behind ; too expensive for my budget right now. Might upgrade later.

Edit : Also, I want to ask if all these pieces are compatible with one another.

Wallach

Shit... Amazon has the HD595s for $117 bucks? So tempted. No microphone but those cans are fucking great and I don't know if I've ever seen them that cheap.

asdad123

How do I adjust the case and CPU fan speed? It seems like theyre going at 100% and are very loud even though the CPU is at 15C idle.

My motherboard is an Asus M4A78LT-M LE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom