• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

InertiaXr

Stop It said:
What you're seeing is Vdroop, where the CPU voltage drops under load. A higher idle Vcore means that you're not using offset, or you haven't got speedstep/CPU power saving modes enabled. Go into your UEFI/BIOS and check the Vcore settings.

Well I've just made it worse. I'm running a 2500k and P8P67 for reference, so I have the new fancy UEFI. I also checked and yes I have speedstep and CPU power saving modes on. I went into my UEFI and I was indeed NOT on offset mode, so I put that on and put it on + and put in .05 max voltage increase from that. Adding that .05 onto the 1.200V that my CPU was showing in UEFI means I would be at 1.25V under load, which I think is more than enough at 4.4GHz since I have been running at 1.19-1.20 at 4.4 for a couple weeks with no BSOD or issues to speak of. However when I booted up just now I opened up HWmonitor and CPUz and prime95, and instantly under load my voltage jumped to 1.33 and above. I assume I am missing something that is allowing the chip to pump as much voltage as it wants? Turbo mode has another additional voltage setting but I have that at .01 or something, as low as it would go (putting in 0.00 just sets it to auto which I don't want...) Sorry for getting a little long winded but I'm not sure what I'm missing here that is allowing my CPU to go above 1.3v which I really don't want to do.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
mclaren777 said:
I honestly don't understand why everyone is obsessed with OCing their CPUs.

Unless you're using emulators, what's the point?

I plan to run my 2500k stock initially, then try to OC in a couple years. It'll feel like I have a brand new computer at that point :) At least that's what I'm hoping for!

knitoe

InertiaXr said:
Well I've just made it worse. I'm running a 2500k and P8P67 for reference, so I have the new fancy UEFI. I also checked and yes I have speedstep and CPU power saving modes on. I went into my UEFI and I was indeed NOT on offset mode, so I put that on and put it on + and put in .05 max voltage increase from that. Adding that .05 onto the 1.200V that my CPU was showing in UEFI means I would be at 1.25V under load, which I think is more than enough at 4.4GHz since I have been running at 1.19-1.20 at 4.4 for a couple weeks with no BSOD or issues to speak of. However when I booted up just now I opened up HWmonitor and CPUz and prime95, and instantly under load my voltage jumped to 1.33 and above. I assume I am missing something that is allowing the chip to pump as much voltage as it wants? Turbo mode has another additional voltage setting but I have that at .01 or something, as low as it would go (putting in 0.00 just sets it to auto which I don't want...) Sorry for getting a little long winded but I'm not sure what I'm missing here that is allowing my CPU to go above 1.3v which I really don't want to do.
You are using another option that adds voltage, ie Internal PLL, LLC, and/or etc. If you follow my settings, the only setting adding cpu voltage would be OFFSET number.

longdi

Banned
We OC because we can and we should by understanding the concept of binning. A cpu sold at 3ghz does not mean it can only run at 3ghz, i prefer to push it to the max under stock settings. Same with gpu and even ram!

Good news for HD6900 user, a new version of Sapphire Trixxx OC utility is out. I love it so far, very easy to push my mod 6950 beyond AMD overdrive limits, i am running 6970+ speeds at 6950 voltages. :lol

did i also mentioned, its super small size and no installation needed!

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showpost.php?p=2188502&postcount=88

Javaman

antonz

Sandy Bridge Update:

Intel will begin to ship B3 stepping of Cougar Point chipsets on February 14.

As if to keep the splash damage to a minimum, Intel has shifted into high gear by announcing its intent to ship the B3 stepping of Cougar Point chipsets (Q67, P67, H67, and so on) to OEMs on February 14. The news arrives in a product change notification (pdf) dated on February 9, 2011 (#110456-00) and follows the company's previous promise to expedite the fix as quickly as possible.

Originally the Cougar Point revision was slated to hit OEMs by the end of the month. However pressures from manufacturers and AMD may have driven the company to bring a solution sooner than expected. Earlier this week Leslie Sobon, AMD vice president of product and platform marketing, said that Intel's Sandy Bridge platform problem was sending additional business their way.

At that point its just how fast manufacturers can turn around the new boards

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just got back from picking up new dog. Ran prime95 for 4 hours. CPU temps capped at 64C. Seems like it was at 60C most of the run. I used the blend algorithm so it stressed the CPU and ram as well. Now about these settings for making the thing not run at that voltage and speed at all times.......

But I'm glad everything went smooth and is stable.

Mr. B

Would appreciate any critique or advice on this build. Is the PSU @ 650 watts enough? Any cost-cutting advice/Compatibility issues? I want to play most current games, I don't need Crysis running at 200 fps at ultra-high but I want most games to run smoothly.

ASUS P7P55D-E - LGA 1156 - Intel P55 - DDR3 - USB 3.0 SATA 6 Gb/s - ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i5 750 Processor 2.66 GHz 8 MB LGA1156 CPU I5-750BOX
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Corsair CMPSU-650HX 650w HX Series 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply
and 4 GB of ram (2x2gb), 1920x1080 display

LiquidMetal14

Hmmmm, I don't know if speedstep is disabled when I OC. It's not letting me enable that while overclocking. Is there a solution for this?

InertiaXr

Any chance of adding case fan category in OP? I'm looking to add a front intake and top exhaust to my 690 Advanced II and need some suggestions.

TheExodu5

Banned
InertiaXr said:
Any chance of adding case fan category in OP? I'm looking to add a front intake and top exhaust to my 690 Advanced II and need some suggestions.

Yate Loons for cheap. Thermalright or Scythe for a little more.

LiquidMetal14

LiquidMetal14 said:
Hmmmm, I don't know if speedstep is disabled when I OC. It's not letting me enable that while overclocking. Is there a solution for this?

Quoting myself as I'm going to bed. I left my OC at 4.4 and the voltage at 1.332 and 38C while idle. There are more settings for PLL and other manual over rides but I don't want to alter these until I have the right advice. I did enable virtualization which I have not seen any difference. I like this OC but if I could get it to come down while not under load that would be nice. Otherwise if I have to run with this, I am completely happy as long as it's a stable 24/7 OC.

comrade

LiquidMetal14 said:
Quoting myself as I'm going to bed. I left my OC at 4.4 and the voltage at 1.332 and 38C while idle. There are more settings for PLL and other manual over rides but I don't want to alter these until I have the right advice. I did enable virtualization which I have not seen any difference. I like this OC but if I could get it to come down while not under load that would be nice. Otherwise if I have to run with this, I am completely happy as long as it's a stable 24/7 OC.
Is this on stock air? What are your temps under load?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
LiquidMetal14 said:
Virtualisation is a technology that enables you to use things like Virtual PC with hardware acceleration, rather than full software emulation of the platform you're making your PC pretend it's using. Unless if you're on Win 7 Pro (Or Ultimate) or run an OS within an OS, it is not required to be enabled.

Anyway, I am now up to 8GB, and have found a weird little error in my existing Corsair XMS3 memory. Firstly, I ran memtest to see if the new memory was fine, and it came up with a single error, on a single sector of memory, repeated on every test, on the same bit of information. I thought it was the new OCZ (This to be exact, however it was £26 when I bought it yesterday morning) memory I bought but when I removed it, the error persisted.

Now, while I only tested using memtest when my rig was brand new, it didn't throw this error up. However, after multiple tests, it transpires that the error is constant, does not change, and is the exact same memory address, and the error is always, without fail, on the first bit of the test result output. For now, I do not see it as a reason to RMA the memory, because it hasn't affected my system in any way and it looks to be an isolated memory bug, but I will have to test the thing every week for a month or so to make sure the error doesn't spread.

Anyway, armed with 8GB of memory (Why do I even need 8Gb I do not know), I decided to try IBT to make sure all was well. Let's just say that 6GB of memory usage in IBT takes a heck of a lot longer per pass than 2GB. Sorry for the awful picture but it gives you an idea of how my system coped with nearly 20 minutes of pure pain.

ibtresulttm02.jpg

Wazzim

Banned
I have ordered 3 extra fans (2 80mms and 1 120mm) but how do I know that they can plug into the PSU? 4pin is all they have to be right?

Stop It

LiquidMetal14 said:
I have the Cooler Master fan/heatsink in the OP. Under load my temps are leveling at 60C.

I sent a PM Stop It.
And I have replied. Your temps are fine, so do not worry about them.

Wazzim said:
I have ordered 3 extra fans (2 80mms and 1 120mm) but how do I know that they can plug into the PSU? 4pin is all they have to be right?
If you can, it is preferable to connect your case fans directly to your headers on your motherboard, so you can control the speed of them via PWM (For 4pin fans), or via Software/BIOS for 3 pin ones.

Wazzim

Banned
Stop It said:
If you can, it is preferable to connect your case fans directly to your headers on your motherboard, so you can control the speed of them via PWM (For 4pin fans), or via Software/BIOS for 3 pin ones.
Yeah I will but there aren't enough connections for all of them. So 4pin will fit in the motherboard and PSU?

Wired

//// PROBLEM ARISING IN PC-LAND ////

Well, for the past couple of months or so my computer has locked up a few times leaving me no choice but to reboot which has worked so far. Until today that is. The same thing happened, however this time a reboot didn't work. After I pressed the button the computer seemed to start a reboot but then nothing seemed to happen. the screen was black and no BIOS messages or anything showed up.

Now, I'm pretty untechnical so I was somewhat at a loss. I decided to try rebooting without a HD so I unplugged it and tried again and this time the computer started to load the BIOS and all that. Fine, so I plugged it in again and this time the computer seemed to boot normally into windows.

Naturally the writing is on the wall so I decided to make some posts and ask around. Is my HD dying or what? Even if it is shouldn't the computer still be able to load the BIOS or whatever, I certainly don't know that's why I'm asking. :/

EDIT:
What the... ok after some additional experimentation it would seem it's my secondary HD that has something to do with it. As long as I only have my OS drive connected the computer boots up as it should but if I connect my other HD nothing happens and all I get is a black screen. I'm at a loss.

EDIT2:
Besides, the secondary drive has NOTHING to do with the random lockups as I only installed it a couple of days ago.

Ecto311

After testing I decided to take the p8p67 le motherboard back to microcenter because it just died. Does anyone know what level of "fixing" they can do or am I fuct till the new boards come out in may? I keep hearing that the older socket stuff sucks compared to SB so I don't really want to get the older stuff unless we have to.

EVIL

looking at crysis 2 and Battlefield 3, what kind of graphics card could I get to run that stuff at 1920x1200 all settings cranked up to the max. as far as CPU, I am looking at the sandy brdige series. amount of memory would propable be 8gb (photoshop, high rez painting.)

BrettWeir

I have a question concerning vram. I am on the fence between a 6870 or 6950. I will not be running xfire, as my space is too limited. Instead, I am looking at going from a 23" to a 27" monitor. Would the 2 gigs of vram on the 6950 benefit over the 1 gig, staying at 1920x1080 or possibly x 1200?

I know the 6950 can be flashed to 6970 (flip of a switch with the card I'm looking at), but if that extra gig of vram won't help a single display, I'm looking more towards the 6870 to save a few bucks towards a new monitor.

System specs are (I know she's aging)
Asus p5qc mobo
E8500 C2D
4 GB DDR2
Win7 64

Lime

I'm thinking about upgrading to a 6950 and flashing it to a 6970, or maybe a 560ti depending on price. The games I'm looking to play with it will be Dragon Age 2, Crysis 2, Deus Ex 3 and the Witcher 2. Would I be better off waiting until June for AMD's and Nvidia's refresh? Will the improvement from the 69xx series and 5xx series be very big, considering AMD had that TSMC thing with the 69xx series. Or should I just get a 6950/560ti right away?

knitoe

Ecto311 said:
After testing I decided to take the p8p67 le motherboard back to microcenter because it just died. Does anyone know what level of "fixing" they can do or am I fuct till the new boards come out in may? I keep hearing that the older socket stuff sucks compared to SB so I don't really want to get the older stuff unless we have to.
Normally, they would probably allow you to exchange for another one, but since the sandy bridge MBs are in recall, they will most likely offer a refund. And the CPUs that fits in the P8P67, they won't fit/work on other MBs. Thus, you can probably get a refund on that too.

So, you are looking at using the refund money on older hardware, try rolling the dice again on currently faulty sandy bridge or wait for the fix / newer stuff in April and beyond.

Ecto311

knitoe said:
Normally, they would probably allow you to exchange for another one, but since the sandy bridge MBs are in recall, they will most likely offer a refund. And the CPUs that fits in the P8P67, they won't fit/work on other MBs. Thus, you can probably get a refund on that too.

So, you are looking at using the refund money on older hardware, try rolling the dice again on currently faulty sandy bridge or wait for the fix / newer stuff in April and beyond.

I don't mind the problems with the SB motherboard but when the entire board dies and there is nothing visually wrong it makes me wonder if there are more problems. Also considering the AMD build. I had some experience with AMD and it was all bad but lots of reviews say it is decent.. Is it better than it was? Might just wait till May when microcenter gets in the new SB stuff.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ecto311 said:
I don't mind the problems with the SB motherboard but when the entire board dies and there is nothing visually wrong it makes me wonder if there are more problems. Also considering the AMD build. I had some experience with AMD and it was all bad but lots of reviews say it is decent.. Is it better than it was? Might just wait till May when microcenter gets in the new SB stuff.

Electronics die and are subject to imperfect QA. Anecdotal evidence does not equal across the board failures.

CrankyJay

Banned
Naked Snake said:
To OEMs only most likely. I want retail.

I'm optimistic OEMs are primarily selling configurations that don't require those other SATA ports in such a way retail will see a faster turn around.

Ecto311

TheExodu5 said:
Electronics die and are subject to imperfect QA. Anecdotal evidence does not equal across the board failures.

Yeah I understand this but it makes me cautious when the thing died so fast and intel has admitted to problems - related or not.

Is the $600 build in the OP still viable or was it going to be changed?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I think my motherboard is dead :(

I normally use the sleep feature in Windows so didn't make the connection sooner but when my computer completely powers down it sometimes takes a few presses of the power button before it starts.

Well, today, it does nothing. I've taken it apart (down to the motherboard, PSU, CPU and 1 stick of memory) and taken it outta the case and it just refuses to do anything. My motherboard (evga 680i) has an onboard power button and when I hold it down the onboard LED flashes, an orange light appears then it resets. Sometimes it goes to boot but just resets.

I don't want to replace everything so right now I have an E6600 so I'm looking for a LGA775 I guess. Kinda old school but I don't know who else to ask and you all seem knowledgeable. Other parts - GTX260, 3 hdds, dvd, 4 1GB DDR2800 memory.

TL;DR - motherboard dead. What's the best LGA775 motherboard I can buy to replace it. Thanks.

comrade

So I wasn't really that happy with my H50 water cooler and saw Newegg had a 15% off all CPU coolers deal going on right now. Just ordered the Noctua NH-D14 for $85 shipped.

Promo Code: EMCYTZT289
Promotion expires at 11:59PM PST on 02/12/2011 or SOONER based on fund availability.

Basic Desktop Questions
Your Current Specs: C2D 2.4, 7950GT, 2Gb Ram
Budget: Looking to spend about £1500, UK based.
Main Use: 3D work and gaming
Monitor Resolution: Have two 1680x1050 monitors, happy to stick with those but open to suggestions.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Battlefield 3
Are reusing any parts?: Have a couple of HDD I wouuldnt mine throwing in if possible. Maxtor 6V300F0 (320gb) WDC WD1600AAJS-00B4A0 (160gb)
When will you build?: Within the next two weeks.
Will you be overclocking?: not straight away

knitoe

D4Danger said:
I think my motherboard is dead :(

I normally use the sleep feature in Windows so didn't make the connection sooner but when my computer completely powers down it sometimes takes a few presses of the power button before it starts.

Well, today, it does nothing. I've taken it apart (down to the motherboard, PSU, CPU and 1 stick of memory) and taken it outta the case and it just refuses to do anything. My motherboard (evga 680i) has an onboard power button and when I hold it down the onboard LED flashes, an orange light appears then it resets. Sometimes it goes to boot but just resets.

I don't want to replace everything so right now I have an E6600 so I'm looking for a LGA775 I guess. Kinda old school but I don't know who else to ask and you all seem knowledgeable. Other parts - GTX260, 3 hdds, dvd, 4 1GB DDR2800 memory.

TL;DR - motherboard dead. What's the best LGA775 motherboard I can buy to replace it. Thanks.
Just in case, have you tried another PSU?

How does GAF feel about Maxtor HDDs?

I have only used Seagate drives for the past 10+ years and never had a single issue with them. This is probably unsubtantiated, but I feel weary of using another brand of HDD (yes I'm aware that Seagate owns Maxtor now)... Should I stop worrying and love the price?

knitoe

Naked Snake said:

I have only used Seagate drives for the past 10+ years and never had a single issue with them. This is probably unsubtantiated, but I feel weary of using another brand of HDD (yes I'm aware that Seagate owns Maxtor now)... Should I stop worrying and love the price?
Why not better performance WD or Samsung?

Stop It

Hmm, I have just done something I didn't think would work, and I wonder if I'm really going insane with all of this tweaking.

I have just upped my RAM to 8GB, along with the performance penalty (Around .5GB/s according to SiSoft Sandra) that goes with it. I therefore wondered if higher speed (I.E 1866Mhz, up from the rated speed of my memory of 1600Mhz) would work, and if so would the looser timings required negate the speed increase.

Well, memtest (This annoying single bit of memory that is dead on my XMS3 aside) passes the memory fine at 1866, using 10-13-13-35 timings (1600Mhz = 9-9-9-24), Sandra shows 2.5GB/s higher bandwidth than using 4GB at 1600Mhz.

Also, the rather evil CPU physics test on 3DMark11 shows a .5fps increase from using the higher memory speed compared to 8GB at 1600Mhz, (Observe).

All in all, a successful tweak, I think. I will be conducting a few more tests to really make sure this is working OK, and that the benefits of higher bandwidth outweigh the higher latencies that I have to use to get the memory happy. Still, a nice little surprise that it even worked at all, all things considered.

LiquidMetal14

I found a manual voltage portion in the bios.

Has

DRAM
VCC SA
VCC IO
CPU LL with options from 1.8-2.1v
PCH voltage

I am trying the auto thing instead of offset right now.

EDIT - Does nothing. Idle temps are still at about 37 at 1.332v @4.4ghz

Stop It

LiquidMetal14 said:
I found a manual voltage portion in the bios.

Has

DRAM
VCC SA
VCC IO
CPU LL with options from 1.8-2.1v
PCH voltage

I am trying the auto thing instead of offset right now.

EDIT - Does nothing. Idle temps are still at about 37 at 1.332v @4.4ghz
I think an E-Mail to Biostar, calling their UEFI rubbish may be in order. That said, I have responded to your PM, and I'll see what I can do.

Naked Snake said:

Maxtor are owned by Seagate now, and seem to be used as their "Value" brand. Frankly, given the small price difference between them and the "performance" brands of WD, Samsung and Seagate themselves I wouldn't bother with them.

LiquidMetal14

Stop It said:
I think an E-Mail to Biostar, calling their UEFI rubbish may be in order. That said, I have responded to your PM, and I'll see what I can do.

Maxtor are owned by Seagate now, and seem to be used as their "Value" brand. Frankly, given the small price difference between them and the "performance" brands of WD, Samsung and Seagate themselves I wouldn't bother with them.
Pending the consultation and other methods I try, I will definitely send something their way. I just have to figure out how to word it without inflating it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom