• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
FoxSpirit said:
It's a Blizzard game, don't worry. And yes, for $500 you can get something decent if you already have those other things.

That's reassuring to know. I currently have a Macbook Pro that I NEVER unplug from my monitor/speakers/keyboard/etc., and I just purchased a netbook for mobile typing and internet browsing. I don't see any reason not to buy a desktop next time around.

artist

Banned
rohlfinator said:
What are the best cards in the $200 range (+/- $50)? I'm running a 4850 right now, and it handles most of my games okay, but it's sometimes a little sluggish at 1080p.

I found this 6850 that looks like a pretty good deal. Is it worth jumping to a 6870? Or is there something better on the Nvidia side?

6850 is a decent upgrade over the 4850. If you want to look at an Nvidia SKU, then the 460 fits the bill but with slighly higher power draw, the OC on the 460 is also greater compared to the 6850.

HD6800-92.jpg

Azzurri said:
Does anyone use apples wireless or wired keyboard on their PC?

I have this badboy on my HTPC, why?

matmanx1

That 6950 to 6970 flash looks mighty sexy. Any reason to think that AMD will be able to create cards that aren't "flashable" soon to close that loop-hole down?

I'm satisfied with what I'm running now (GTX 260 216) but was keeping my eyes on the 6950 for March when Crysis 2 drops and was going to purchase then. However, if AMD can fix the 6950's in some way to prevent the easy upgrade then it might be worth it buy the card as soon as possible even if I don't need the muscle right now.

My brother wants a pre-built desktop computer between $500 and $700 that can play games like Runescape and Team Fortress 2. What brands or models do you recommend?

I do wonder whether it will be 1356 or 2011 that the enthusiast market will be getting. Here are the two scenarios I'm seeing:

1) 1356 comes out for enthusiast and workstation setups, with 2011 targeted exclusively at the high end server/workstation market.

2) There is no 1356. 2011 targets both of the above markets, with different motherboard variants for each (i. e. Q68, X68, etc.)

Plausible?

artist

Banned
matmanx1 said:
That 6950 to 6970 flash looks mighty sexy. Any reason to think that AMD will be able to create cards that aren't "flashable" soon to close that loop-hole down?

I'm satisfied with what I'm running now (GTX 260 216) but was keeping my eyes on the 6950 for March when Crysis 2 drops and was going to purchase then. However, if AMD can fix the 6950's in some way to prevent the easy upgrade then it might be worth it buy the card as soon as possible even if I don't need the muscle right now.
AMD can always go back to laser fusing to disable the SIMDs for the second batch .. it looks like they didnt go for that extra step for the first batch due to the launch frenzy.

ChoklitReign said:
My brother wants a pre-built desktop computer between $500 and $700 that can play games like Runescape and Team Fortress 2. What brands or models do you recommend?
GTS450/5750 should be enough for those games, what resolution is he going to use?

Weenerz

Banned
Is there a list of motherboards coming with the Sandy Bridge launch? Thinking of picking up the i7 2600k and want to find a good Asus mobo to go with.

irfan said:
GTS450/5750 should be enough for those games, what resolution is he going to use?
Where are you going to find a prebuilt with a 5750 for $700? I'll be lucky enough to find something with a GT 240 for that price. I don't know what monitor I'm going to buy. I could give him the 20" 1600x900 monitor I'm currently using (I want a 1080p monitor).

longdi

Banned
cartman414 said:
I do wonder whether it will be 1356 or 2011 that the enthusiast market will be getting. Here are the two scenarios I'm seeing:

1) 1356 comes out for enthusiast and workstation setups, with 2011 targeted exclusively at the high end server/workstation market.

2) There is no 1356. 2011 targets both of the above markets, with different motherboard variants for each (i. e. Q68, X68, etc.)

Plausible?

There is no 1356, only 2011. These are for Q4 2011 (lol), with 6-8 cores, seems quite different to 1155 and more similar to 1366, in platform design and overclocking, it also comes with PCIe 3.0!

1155 supposed to last for 3 years.

Gigabyte had a talk recently with some timeline slides.
http://vr-zone.com/articles/gigabyte-intel-sandy-bridge-mainboards-launch-event/10559-1.html

longdi

Banned
matmanx1 said:

If you know how to update drivers, you will able to flash the present batch, the "worse" you get is a 6950 with 1536 shaders, 96 tmus. :D

Coming from a 4890, i got double the speed with this unlock, i tell you better get them before AMD fix it and they can easily.

FoxSpirit

Is running a GTX460 with a good 400W PSU possible? I want to avoid ATI's anisotropic filtering for a while, I guess.

artist

Banned
ChoklitReign said:
Where are you going to find a prebuilt with a 5750 for $700? I'll be lucky enough to find something with a GT 240 for that price. I don't know what monitor I'm going to buy. I could give him the 20" 1600x900 monitor I'm currently using (I want a 1080p monitor).
The best route would be to get a pre-built system with a decent PSU and add the card yourself. Its very simple .. You might have to spend more if not.

FoxSpirit said:
Is running a GTX460 with a good 400W PSU possible? I want to avoid ATI's anisotropic filtering for a while, I guess.
It could be possible but not recommended.

Well, I ordered a fan controller from NCIX.com on Thursday, and got in on Friday (wow). I went with a Scyth Kaze Master Ace, 5.25 inch bay version. I had tried the NZXT Sentry 2 before for use with my HAF922 and using it made my fans buzz and drone, completely negating the point of a fan controller, supposedly a common problem with that piece of shit hardware.

But the Scyth controller, connected to all 3 of my stock HAF922 fans, works like a charm. No extra noise at all, can see the fan RPM instead of just a percentage, it's perfect. I spent like 3 hours yesterday redoing all of my cabling in my case to make it as neat as possible when installing the controller, so I'm very happy with the inside of my computer now. The loudest thing now is my Hyper 212+ fan, going to consider looking into a quiet replacement for it sometime I think.

Anyway, the Kaze makes my HAF922 fans pretty much silent at 540 RPM for the front and top fan, and 960 RPM for the back, down from 700 RPM and 1200 RPM respectively. And the lower air flow doesn't really affect CPU temps much at all. Idle is more or less the same, though maybe a lower min temp at full blast, and at load, it's pretty similar, maybe a degree or two hotter with lowered speeds. Of course, when I don't need silence, I can just turn the fans to max again.

Overall, strongly recommend the Kaze controller for any HAF922 owner who wants to make their case quieter.

matmanx1 said:
Whoever linked that Silverstone RV02 on Amazon with the mail in rebate I must now thank because I just pulled the trigger on it for my new build! :D I get free 2 day shipping with Amazon Prime (which is not a big deal in this case since Sandy Bridge won't be landing for another week or so) but the rebate expired on the 31st (today!) so it seemed like the time was right.

I'm excited to see it in person as I've never owned a case that nice before and I'm serious this time about running as cool as possible on just air. This thread has been a big help so far in picking this particular case out so thanks alot everyone!
Glad to be of help. Post pics when it's ready.

matmanx1 said:

AMD is said to be already working on that with a new reference board that should feature a few component changes for cost savings. At the same time they'll address the current loophole.

"Unlocking" the 6950 hasn't been without a few hiccups. I most likely wouldn't do it myself, but to each their own.

cartman414 said:

Plausible?
Yes. Scenario #1 is what we were initially going to supposedly see, with 2011 having a heavy slant toward the server/work station end of things. Some will disagree with me, but I don't see the purpose of a desktop 1356 at all. Yes, we've had server-specific sockets before, but I fail to see why LGA 2011 can't cover business and higher end users. It has different variants and the supposed 1356 can "merge" with 2011. If quad-channel is still in play, it can be offered alongside triple-channel, either through lineup differences or exclusively with Xeons. At the moment, a chip like the i7 980x is 1 QPI, and will not work on Xeon-specific 1366 boards that use 2 QPI parts. Some of the planned features and upcoming tech can be rolled into the next revision of 1155, or a higher-end/feature rich version of 1155. While others can form 2011's entry-level.

irfan said:
6850 is a decent upgrade over the 4850. If you want to look at an Nvidia SKU, then the 460 fits the bill but with slighly higher power draw, the OC on the 460 is also greater compared to the 6850.
Cool, thanks. I'll probably go with the 6850 then, or see if I can hold out for the 6950 to drop in price. (The unlocking stuff looks pretty tempting.)

longdi said:
There is no 1356, only 2011. These are for Q4 2011 (lol), with 6-8 cores, seems quite different to 1155 and more similar to 1366, in platform design and overclocking, it also comes with PCIe 3.0!

I take it those Japanese reports were just preliminary then?

1155 supposed to last for 3 years.

Gigabyte had a talk recently with some timeline slides.
http://vr-zone.com/articles/gigabyte-intel-sandy-bridge-mainboards-launch-event/10559-1.html

That would make sense.

TheExodu5

Banned
Jimmy Stav said:
I'm not quite ready to build a PC just yet, but I was wondering if it's reasonable to think I could build a new machine with 4-500$ if I already have a case, hard drive, and DVD drive.

EDIT: Something with decent power (I want something to play Diablo 3).

Absolutely.

Do you need a PSU, or are you already set? What case do you have?

rohlfinator said:
Cool, thanks. I'll probably go with the 6850 then, or see if I can hold out for the 6950 to drop in price. (The unlocking stuff looks pretty tempting.)

Save for the 6950. Far bigger upgrade.

If you use performance-increase/price metric, I'm sure the 6950 is well ahead.

In fact, let's take a look here:

perfrel_1920.gif

The 4850 should be around the 5750/5770...so let's approximate it at roughly the halfway point: 52%. Using that graph, that would mean:

6850 -> 46% performance increase
6950 -> 92% performance increase

That means that for just $100 more (50% of the cost), you're doubling (100%) the performance increase. If you want to look at it another way:

6850 -> 0.23% performance increase per dollar
6950 -> 0.31% performance increase per dollar

As such, the 6950 is actually a much better buy, given your situation. Too often people don't look at this metric when they decide to upgrade.

sh4mike

Hoping one of the recommended PC builds will include a GTX 570; I like its scalability in SLI. Interested to find out whether a 2500K would bottleneck the 570 SLI -- might want to go with 2600K.

That combo should handle every new release for at least 3 years.

"Hoping one of the recommended PC builds will include a GTX 570; I like its scalability in SLI. Interested to find out whether a 2500K would bottleneck the 570 SLI -- might want to go with 2600K. "

If a 2500K would bottleneck 570 SLI, then pretty much every enthusiast CPU on the market would bottleneck it.

Wallach

Kurashima said:
Well, I ordered a fan controller from NCIX.com on Thursday, and got in on Friday (wow). I went with a Scyth Kaze Master Ace, 5.25 inch bay version. I had tried the NZXT Sentry 2 before for use with my HAF922 and using it made my fans buzz and drone, completely negating the point of a fan controller, supposedly a common problem with that piece of shit hardware.

But the Scyth controller, connected to all 3 of my stock HAF922 fans, works like a charm. No extra noise at all, can see the fan RPM instead of just a percentage, it's perfect. I spent like 3 hours yesterday redoing all of my cabling in my case to make it as neat as possible when installing the controller, so I'm very happy with the inside of my computer now. The loudest thing now is my Hyper 212+ fan, going to consider looking into a quiet replacement for it sometime I think.

Anyway, the Kaze makes my HAF922 fans pretty much silent at 540 RPM for the front and top fan, and 960 RPM for the back, down from 700 RPM and 1200 RPM respectively. And the lower air flow doesn't really affect CPU temps much at all. Idle is more or less the same, though maybe a lower min temp at full blast, and at load, it's pretty similar, maybe a degree or two hotter with lowered speeds. Of course, when I don't need silence, I can just turn the fans to max again.

Overall, strongly recommend the Kaze controller for any HAF922 owner who wants to make their case quieter.

Thanks for the comments, this is the next thing I'm planning to upgrade in my case after it arrives.

TheExodu5

Banned
sh4mike said:
Hoping one of the recommended PC builds will include a GTX 570; I like its scalability in SLI. Interested to find out whether a 2500K would bottleneck the 570 SLI -- might want to go with 2600K.

That combo should handle every new release for at least 3 years.

The 2500K overclocked will not bottleneck any GPU in the next 5 years in any meaningful way, I promise. By meaningful, I mean it won't be stopping you from reaching 60fps in any game. Going forward, faster GPUs are just going to enable higher levels of IQ and other goodies (SSAA, Transparency supersampling, 3D, multi-monitor, etc...).

As I was saying earlier, modern quad core enable games are barely even stressing the 4 year old Q6600 when overclocked. The 2500K is significantly faster when overclocked. Games are not getting any more demanding.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Finally installed my hyper 212+ on a P2 X3 Running at 14c idle after an hour. Only a 3.2Ghz overclock though so time to start raising it! Going to turn on the 4th core as well. Hoping for a 3.6Ghz overclock atleast

Odrion

Banned
So I decided that it's time to upgrade my computer. I'm planning on spending around 400-600 dollars.

My current PC has:
CPU - AMD Phenom X4 9600 Black Edition (four 2.3GHz cores)
Ram - 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz
Motherboard - ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4N82 DELUXE (has AM3 support)
Graphics Card - 896MB GeForce GTX 260
Harddrive - 195GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG SP2004C ATA Device (SATA)

Top priority is my CPU and Harddrive. I probably need a new power supply as well.

TheExodu5 said:
The 4850 should be around the 5750/5770...so let's approximate it at roughly the halfway point: 52%. Using that graph, that would mean:

That means that for just $100 more (50% of the cost), you're doubling (100%) the performance increase. If you want to look at it another way:

As such, the 6950 is actually a much better buy, given your situation. Too often people don't look at this metric when they decide to upgrade.
Hm, that's a good point.

From what I'm reading, the 4850 is closer to the 5750, though. At least the 512MB one performs equal or significantly worse than the 5750 at 1080p in most cases. So that kind of skews things back toward the lower end a little bit. If I calculate against the 5750, the numbers get a lot closer (0.32% improvement per dollar for the 6850 vs. 0.36% for the 6950).

And actually in that case, the 5850 (0.4%) and the 5870 (0.42%) are better buys than either of them. Is there any reason not to go with one of the last-gen cards?

artist

Banned
rohlfinator said:
Hm, that's a good point.

From what I'm reading, the 4850 is closer to the 5750, though. At least the 512MB one performs equal or significantly worse than the 5750 at 1080p in most cases. So that kind of skews things back toward the lower end a little bit. If I calculate against the 5750, the numbers get a lot closer (0.32% improvement per dollar for the 6850 vs. 0.36% for the 6950).

And actually in that case, the 5850 (0.4%) and the 5870 (0.42%) are better buys than either of them. Is there any reason not to go with one of the last-gen cards?
The lack of tessellation performance keeps me from recommending them, buy them only if you get them at a really good price.

edit: @ $200 shown below, its a no-brainer.

Takk

TheExodu5 said:
Absolutely.

Do you need a PSU, or are you already set? What case do you have?

Save for the 6950. Far bigger upgrade.

If you use performance-increase/price metric, I'm sure the 6950 is well ahead.

In fact, let's take a look here:

perfrel_1920.gif

In the long run, the performance increase per dollar will be more if you spends less now.

His options now are:
52% more @ $200 than 4850
92% more @ $300 than 4850

in the future, his options will again be similar

52% more @ $200 than 6850
92% more @ $300 than 6850

If he purchased a 6850 now for $200 vs $300, you can look at it as putting $100 towards a future GPU.

In the future, for additional $100 more, he gets 131% performance increase from the 4850. If he spends $300 now, he will wait longer to spend another $300.

So just base your purchase what games/settings you want to play and how much you are willing to spend on GPUs.

Jin34

rohlfinator said:
Hm, that's a good point.

Or you can get a 5870 for $200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102883

290 - $60 code - $30 rebate

Takk

Slick deals ran a crazy discount on a Galaxy GTX460 768mb two weeks ago on tiger direct. It was $83 after instant rebates and a $60 MIR. Now I just hope this card will last me a couple years.

Has anyone had problems with Galaxy cards?

artist

Banned
ChoklitReign said:
Asking again.
Dell XPS8100, you can also look at HP, Acer etc.

Takk said:
Slick deals ran a crazy discount on a Galaxy GTX460 768mb two weeks ago on tiger direct. It was $83 after instant rebates and a $60 MIR. Now I just hope this card will last me a couple years.

Has anyone had problems with Galaxy cards?
I bought one too .. for 89CAD. :D

Xenon

I was thinking about replacing my 8800gt with a new card that has HDMI out. I don't game that much. I am playing Oblivion-Nehrim and plan getting Skyrim when it comes out. I'm not sure yet on if it will be on the Console or the PC. I'm looking to get something quiet and cheap. I have a 1280x1024 Lcd but wouldn't mind giving the 1080p 46" a try since its right next to the PC.

Is this a decent card? I'm running a Phenom II 550 with 3 cores(1 unlocked) OC @ 3.3Ghz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102873

artist

Banned
Xenon said:
I was thinking about replacing my 8800gt with a new card that has HDMI out. I don't game that much. I am playing Oblivion-Nehrim and plan getting Skyrim when it comes out. I'm not sure yet on if it will be on the Console or the PC. I'm looking to get something quiet and cheap. I have a 1280x1024 Lcd but wouldn't mind giving the 1080p 46" a try since its right next to the PC.

Is this a decent card? I'm running a Phenom II 550 with 3 cores(1 unlocked) OC @ 3.3Ghz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102873
That would be a sidegrade .. better to go with the 460/6800 atleast.

edit: This would run circles around that for $10 more; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127512

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13488&Itemid=99999999

"The i7-2600K I worked with managed to skip past 5.2 GHz while pushing a mere 68°C. I'm sure you're wondering what cooler kept this processor running so cool, and here's the shocker: it was a 92mm Cooler Master Hyper TX3.

You read that correctly. This little $26 heatsink used three skinny heat-pipe rods and an Intel push-pin mounting system to tame an overclocked 5.2 GHz CPU to 68°C."

Daaaaamn.

IrishNinja

hey GAF - looking to pull the trigger on a setup for a friend over at ibuypower, with the following specs:

CoolerMaster HAF 932 Full Tower Gaming Case
i7-950
(liquid cooling + standard 120mm fan)
6GB DDR3
1.5 TB @ 7200 RPM

looking to be @ 1k-1100 (before shipping), 2 quick questions:

1) mobo options:
MSI X58 PRO-E

vs

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R w/ 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16

thoughts? i gotta look up reviews, i recall some of you guys saying Gigabyte's a good brand/great for overclocking usually, just curious as the latter is about $35 more

2) GPU:
GTX 450 (free upgrade to a 460 right now) vs ATI 6850 ($73 more) - im happy with my 6870 and ive read/noticed it does well with stuff like dolphin, plasmas etc, but the benchmarks im looking at here so far put them in a similar ballpark - thoughts?

appreciate the help as always, heres to more PC gaming!

*edit oh my god holy balls what the fuck

Teknopathetic said:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13488&Itemid=99999999

"The i7-2600K I worked with managed to skip past 5.2 GHz while pushing a mere 68°C. I'm sure you're wondering what cooler kept this processor running so cool, and here's the shocker: it was a 92mm Cooler Master Hyper TX3.

You read that correctly. This little $26 heatsink used three skinny heat-pipe rods and an Intel push-pin mounting system to tame an overclocked 5.2 GHz CPU to 68°C."

is there any chance i can get this bad boy to fit in my SG07? please god say yes, i gotta get my cooling down before i can OC it.

Cipherr

Teknopathetic said:

Daaaaamn.

Thats downright ridiculous. Man damn, even if the voltage to hit those numbers isnt 24/7 safe, just the fact that 5.2 is possible on such modest cooling means your going to get some sick clocks out of the chip, even at safe voltages.

Weenerz

Banned
Teknopathetic said:

Daaaaamn.

Really exciting stuff. I hope they release a bracket for the H70 that is compatible with the i7 2600k.

Smash88

Banned
AkIRA_22 said:
awesome, nothing like watching some other dude blow a shit load of cash.

Apparently he made some WoW website and sold it for a boat load of money, and now he just spends his money on his overexpensive computer.... I don't care what people do with their money, butt his guy just buys computer stuff he doesn't need.

He isn't some sort of hardcore CPU ocer and he gets these $1,500,000 cpus. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom