• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

Mr_Brit said:
Just so you know, nvidia supports 3D vision surround where all three of your monitors/TVs are all in 3D, impressions I've read have said that it's the most immersive gaming experience you can have.
I didn't realize you could do that :eek:

Sounds incredible.

I'm looking for a new SSD for my desktop. I'm running an Intel X-25M right now, 80GB. Space is a bit tight. I want to get a new one and toss the X-25M into my notebook. Any recommendations? Have there been enough improvements to justify a new drive?

Smokey

Mr_Brit said:
Just so you know, nvidia supports 3D vision surround where all three of your monitors/TVs are all in 3D, impressions I've read have said that it's the most immersive gaming experience you can have.

Yeah i know. This is my plan if I go with nvidia hence the SLI 570/580s. Won't be cheap at all, but I don't plan to get everything at once.

I know it's cheaper to go with AMD...but i was specifically looking for the 3D surround experience like you mentioned and didn't know if that was possible on AMD's cards or not.

artist

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
You recommending people go with AMD if they want to play in 3D is only going to cause headaches and confusion for new PC gamers. Recommending AMD for 3D is like recommending an original Xbox for HD gaming just because a few of its games support it.
Dont put words into my mouth .. no, I'm not recommending people to go with AMD for 3D. I'm just correcting you in the sense that AMD has no 3D support, which is utterly false.

Smokey said:
I wanted to do and the multi monitor setup and/or 3D because I want my gaming PC to be a unique experience from my consoles (besides more AA, 1080p+ etc).

So basically:

3D + multi monitor setup = Nvidia
no 3D + multi monitor setup = AMD

?
I would agree with that assesment. However I would suggest you check out a 3D setup first in person, its not everybody's cup of tea.

artist

Banned
Crunched said:
I'm looking for a new SSD for my desktop. I'm running an Intel X-25M right now, 80GB. Space is a bit tight. I want to get a new one and toss the X-25M into my notebook. Any recommendations? Have there been enough improvements to justify a new drive?
Nothing out yet but the next generation controllers should be out first quarter this year (2011). See the end of the post here; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25145025&postcount=416

Mr_Brit

Banned
irfan said:
Dont put words into my mouth .. no, I'm not recommending people to go with AMD for 3D. I'm just correcting you in the sense that AMD has no 3D support, which is utterly false.

I would agree with that assesment. However I would suggest you check out a 3D setup first in person, its not everybody's cup of tea.
Relax, I didn't say AMD didn't have 3D, only that nvidia was the only real choice if it was important to you. You adding in that AMD has 3D is only going to confuse people and make them possibly go for a terrible 3D solution.

artist

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Relax, I didn't say AMD didn't have 3D, only that nvidia was the only real choice if it was important to you. You adding in that AMD has 3D is only going to confuse people and make them possibly go for a terrible 3D solution.
Like I said one is better than the other doesnt mean the other is terrible. Eyefinity is miles better than Nvidia's approach, doesnt make Nvidia's approach terrible.

I just want to reign in the green fanboyism inherent in you.

M.Bluth said:

Come on, it's been posted multiple times and I think on the same page as you someone is doing a build in the same range. Wait for sandy bridge, why do you want to spend that much? What are you planning on doing with it? What are you going to do with 12GB of ram? It's all questions hazaro asks you to answer in the OP so we know what you want.

Smokey

irfan said:

I understand that. Just going to start out with one monitor for this very reason, and then add the other 2 if I like it. I'm one of the few who like 3D in general though, and I imagine for games it's amazing.

Looking at reviews it appears that the Alienware 23'' monitor is the best one out, but of course you have to pay the Alienware tax and the monitor is $500. Will probably dig around and see what's second best to avoid that tax.

I don't really like Nvidia's approach of locking you into buying a second card if you want 2+ monitors. Shady shit.

artist

Banned
Smokey said:
I understand that. Just going to start out with one monitor for this very reason, and then add the other 2 if I like it. I'm one of the few who like 3D in general though, and I imagine for games it's amazing.

Looking at reviews it appears that the Alienware 23'' monitor is the best one out, but of course you have to pay the Alienware tax and the monitor is $500. Will probably dig around and see what's second best to avoid that tax.
I would recommend these forums for picking out 3D hardware; http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/

Smokey said:
I don't really like Nvidia's approach of locking you into buying a second card if you want 2+ monitors. Shady shit.
Its not shady more so than a band-aid approach. AMD came out of the gates with Eyefinity and caught them offguard. They will probably include their feature into their GPUs so it doesnt require a second one.

iNvid02

@ the guy who flashed the 6950 to 6970, flashing 2 of these and putting them into crossfire wont cause any problems will it? cheers

Mr_Brit

Banned
irfan said:
Like I said one is better than the other doesnt mean the other is terrible. Eyefinity is miles better than Nvidia's approach, doesnt make Nvidia's approach terrible.

Accusations and straight up lies, nice going. Except for requiring two cards, eyefinity is in no way better than surround vision.

artist

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Accusations and straight up lies, nice going. Except for requiring two cards, eyefinity is in no way better than surround vision.
Should I just bring up your post on how many times you bandied around? :lol Anyway, looks like I neutralized it here. ;)

Cipherr said:
1366 is a dead socket, the 990x is the last chip for the socket. 1155 is the newest socket on the way.

So if I decide to build a sandy bridge pc, will the next six core processors still use this same socket?

Mr_Brit

Banned
BoboBrazil said:
So if I decide to build a sandy bridge pc, will the next six core processors still use this same socket?
Nope. If you want 6 cores or more then you'll have to wait for socket 1356 in Q3 2011.

Smokey

Mr_Brit said:
Nope. If you want 6 cores or more then you'll have to wait for socket 1356 in Q3 2011.

Bullshit.

Hate how Intel handles their shit too. If I could hold out I would until fall. That would be the ultimate way of future proofing a rig, but I can't fucking wait any longer :/

Smokey said:
Bullshit.

Hate how Intel handles their shit too. If I could hold out I would until fall. That would be the ultimate way of future proofing a rig, but I can't fucking wait any longer :/

It's never going to be future proof. Unless they change the way they are now, they will just keep releasing new processors for new sockets.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Smokey said:
Bullshit.

This is the reason I'm thinking about going AMD Bulldozer this year. Intel and their constant socket switching is a big FU to consumers.

Smokey

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It's never going to be future proof. Unless they change the way they are now, they will just keep releasing new processors for new sockets.

I know, I'm talking more about having a 6-8 core processor in your machine. For gaming that would last you a fucking long time. Games barely take advantage of 4 cores, having more than that with the OC ability of SB and you're set for years.

Chiggs

Gold Member
irfan said:

To be fair, AMD's approach on 3d is terrible, and Nvidia's approach on Eyefinity is equally terrible.

Smokey said:
I know, I'm talking more about having a 6-8 core processor in your machine. For gaming that would last you a fucking long time. Games barely take advantage of 4 cores, having more than that with the OC ability of SB and you're set for years.

Although not as good, the current processors having 8 threads for many SB should last a while also. Especially if they are as good at overclocking as people are saying.

TheExodu5

Banned
AkIRA_22 said:
Comparable to current i5 PCs. 2500k to be around $220 and the mobo to be around $200, so it should actually be CHEAPER than a 1366 build!

Then there is this;

msi-big-bang-marshal-12.jpg

Shit just got real!

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2010/12/31/msi-big-bang-marshal-preview/1

Why are all the motherboard manufacturers putting the socket so far right. ;_;

Smokey said:

Honestly, I don't see games needing anything beyond an overclocked Sandy Bridge processor for at least another 5 years. There are still barely any games that require quad core, and the ones that do support quad-core barely need anything more than a 4 year old Q6600. Hell, I bet even an overclocked Q6600 will be enough for just about anyone for quite a few more years.

The only reason to upgrade to a Sandy Bridge, for gaming related reasons, right now is:

1) Making unoptimized single-core games run faster (SC2, NWN2, etc.)
2) Get better speeds out of emulators (PCSX2, Dolphin)

Outside of those two needs, I can't really think of any multicore engines that need anything more than a Q6600 @ 3.6GHz to run over 60fps. Maybe Arma 2?

Chiggs said:
This is the reason I'm thinking about going AMD Bulldozer this year. Intel and their constant socket switching is a big FU to consumers.

TBH, I used to think that, but I'm starting to think otherwise. Like I said, there has been little reason to upgrade a Q6600, a 4 year old processor, until now. Upgrading CPUs on the same motherboard is a thing of the past. CPUs are not advancing fast enough, and neither are CPU needs. The only benefit would be if you want to go from low end to high end in the future...but that's not the case for most people.

Smokey said:
Yeah i know. This is my plan if I go with nvidia hence the SLI 570/580s. Won't be cheap at all, but I don't plan to get everything at once.

I know it's cheaper to go with AMD...but i was specifically looking for the 3D surround experience like you mentioned and didn't know if that was possible on AMD's cards or not.

It's really not much cheaper to go AMD at all. The 6970 is bested by the GTX 570. The only real way to save money going AMD is getting a 6950 and flashing it to 6970. You'd only be saving $50 in the end though.

iNvid02

this is the preliminary build, i dont know what sb cpu/mobo though, and this socket shit is confusing me further halp

COOLER MASTER COSMOS S RC-1100
2x GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6950 2GB - crossfirex (thanks ryoma)
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (2 x 4GB)
sb processor - ?
mobo - ?
Intel X25-M 160GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb
ASUS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

TheExodu5 said:
Why are all the motherboard manufacturers putting the socket so far right. ;_;

Honestly, I don't see games needing anything beyond an overclocked Sandy Bridge processor for at least another 5 years. There are still barely any games that require quad core, and the ones that do support quad-core barely need anything more than a 4 year old Q6600. Hell, I bet even an overclocked Q6600 will be enough for just about anyone for quite a few more years.

The only reason to upgrade to a Sandy Bridge, for gaming related reasons, right now is:

1) Making unoptimized single-core games run faster (SC2, NWN2, etc.)
2) Get better speeds out of emulators (PCSX2, Dolphin)

Outside of those two needs, I can't really think of any multicore engines that need anything more than a Q6600 @ 3.6GHz to run over 60fps. Maybe Arma 2?

TBH, I used to think that, but I'm starting to think otherwise. Like I said, there has been little reason to upgrade a Q6600, a 4 year old processor, until now. Upgrading CPUs on the same motherboard is a thing of the past. CPUs are not advancing fast enough, and neither are CPU needs. The only benefit would be if you want to go from low end to high end in the future...but that's not the case for most people.

It's really not much cheaper to go AMD at all. The 6970 is bested by the GTX 570. The only real way to save money going AMD is getting a 6950 and flashing it to 6970. You'd only be saving $50 in the end though.

Ya, unless you're really cheaping out on a CPU and plan to upgrade later for some reason there's no real reason to stay away from Intel just because of their nonexistant upgrade path.

TheExodu5

Banned
Smokey said:
Bullshit.

Come the Fall, people are going to say to wait another 12-18 months for the completely new architecture. The game never changes.

Just realize that 6-8 cores will be of no benefit to gaming for quite a few years...and by that point there will likely be better CPUs out. A Sandy Bridge CPU will last you a long time.

iNvidious01 said:
this is the preliminary build, i dont know what sb cpu/mobo though, and this socket shit is confusing me further halp

COOLER MASTER COSMOS S RC-1100
2x GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6950 2GB - crossfirex (thanks ryoma)
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (2 x 4GB)
sb processor - ?
mobo - ?
Intel X25-M 160GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb
ASUS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

We need to wait until they're released/reviewed to comment further.

Might I recommend the jump to a Corsair AX850?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015&Tpk=corsair ax850

$60 jump, yeah, but you get a fully modular PSU, the best efficiency and power regulation in the business, full black cables (which will look much nicer in your COSMOS). Understand that the jump is not needed, but it pretty much the best PSU on the market, and comes with a 7 year warranty, and will help clean up your case considerably.

Chiggs

Gold Member
TheExodu5 said:
The real benefit to Eyefinity is the ability to do it off one card.

Exactly. I'd love to see Crossfire/SLI penetration figures. 10-15% possibly? If that even....

TheExodu5

Banned
Chiggs said:
Exactly. I'd love to see Crossfire/SLI penetration figures. 10-15% possibly? If that even....

The point is different people will have different needs. If someone wants a single card to run 3 monitors, AMD is the obvious choice. If someone wants to run 3D, NVidia is the obvious choice. If someone wants dual cards to run 3 monitors, it's a toss up (better drivers, 3D, PhysX with NVidia, more memory with AMD).

The only point where I don't think AMD makes much sense is on a single monitor (1080p or less, where the memory won't matter). The exception is the flashed 6950, which might be a good choice if you're looking to save $50.

I'm thinking of possibly upgrading my pc but am not sure what I should do. I think if anything is bottle necking anything its probably my gpu:

i7 920
4890 hd 1gb ram
6 gb ddr3

Are there any video cards that might be a good price right now? it's not like games are running slow on my machine but if I can squeeze any extra juice out of it for a good price I wouldn't be against that.

Chiggs

Gold Member
TheExodu5 said:
The point is different people will have different needs. If someone wants a single card to run 3 monitors, AMD is the obvious choice. If someone wants to run 3D, NVidia is the obvious choice. If someone wants dual cards to run 3 monitors, it's a toss up (better drivers, 3D, PhysX with NVidia, more memory with AMD).

The only point where I don't think AMD makes much sense is on a single monitor. The exception is the flashed 6950, which might be a good choice if you're looking to save $50.

Hey, I'm more of an Nvida guy because of the 3d and PhysX. I just wish I could drive two displays with their cards.

MisterAnderson said:
I'm thinking of possibly upgrading my pc but am not sure what I should do. I think if anything is bottle necking anything its probably my gpu:

i7 920
4890 hd 1gb ram
6 gb ddr3

Are there any video cards that might be a good price right now? it's not like games are running slow on my machine but if I can squeeze any extra juice out of it for a good price I wouldn't be against that.

If you're not dissatisfied why upgrade?

Mr_Brit said:

That is ridiculous. What is the reasoning for needing new sockets for every processor upgrade, except just to make themselves more money on licensing to motherboard manufacturers? What's taking so long for AMD to get back in the processor game and get competitive?

iNvid02

TheExodu5 said:
We need to wait until they're released/reviewed to comment further.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015&Tpk=corsair ax850

$60 jump, yeah, but you get a fully modular PSU, the best efficiency and power regulation in the business, full black cables (which will look much nicer in your COSMOS). Understand that the jump is not needed, but it pretty much the best PSU on the market, and comes with a 7 year warranty, and will help clean up your case considerably.

will see how much the new cpu/mobos add to everything but yeah i'll probably add it

i guess i'll come back jan 9th or whenever the reviews come out, thanks

Smokey

MisterAnderson said:

i7 920
4890 hd 1gb ram
6 gb ddr3

How much is your limit to spend on a GPU if you were to get one? I'd say a 6950 would be a pretty big jump coming from that 4890 and would be worth it to go with that i7.

Then again if you're not having too many issues playing the games you like, I don't know why you'd upgrade.

Mr_Brit

Banned
BoboBrazil said:
That is ridiculous. What is the reasoning for needing new sockets for every processor upgrade, except just to make themselves more money on licensing to motherboard manufacturers? What's taking so long for AMD to get back in the processor game and get competitive?
Tough to say, for SB Intel may genuinely need all new sockets or they may just want the extra money a new socket brings in. AMD haven't needed new sockets as they've been riding the same architecture for the last 4+years now whilst Intel in the same timeframe have had two completely different architectures, Core 2 and Nehalem. Don't expect AMD to take the performance crown from Intel anytime soon as Intel are far, far ahead of AMD when it comes to manufacturing. For now AMD are going to have to offer cheaper, bang for buck CPUs to sway consumers away from Intel.

TheExodu5 said:

This is what I'm thinking about purchasing, I'll be running an i7 950 OC to about 4-4.2ghz and a GTX580. Would this be able to handle another GTX580, if they are both running at stock or slightly OCed?

TheExodu5

Banned
Conflict NZ said:
This is what I'm thinking about purchasing, I'll be running an i7 950 OC to about 4-4.2ghz and a GTX580. Would this be able to handle another GTX580, if they are both running at stock or slightly OCed?

Yeah. Those cards can peak out at 300W, though it seems they'll usually only take around 200W during intensive gameplay. That means the system will probably hit a peak of around 750-800W (though likely stay around 550-600W during intensive gaming). Still, such a high quality PSU should be able to handle a heavy load no problem...and it's got a 7 year warranty to back it up anyways.

The other option is getting an HX1000, but it's not nearly as high quality.

What are the best cards in the $200 range (+/- $50)? I'm running a 4850 right now, and it handles most of my games okay, but it's sometimes a little sluggish at 1080p.

I found this 6850 that looks like a pretty good deal. Is it worth jumping to a 6870? Or is there something better on the Nvidia side?

Is the jump from e8400 to Sandy bridge worth the upgrade, or should I just wait for Ivy Bridge and upgrade my video card (GTX 260)?

Mobius1B7R said:
Is the jump from e8400 to Sandy bridge worth the upgrade, or should I just wait for Ivy Bridge and upgrade my video card (GTX 260)?

The jump from SB to IB won't be nearly as big as the jump from a e8400 to SB.

M.Bluth

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Come on, it's been posted multiple times and I think on the same page as you someone is doing a build in the same range. Wait for sandy bridge, why do you want to spend that much? What are you planning on doing with it? What are you going to do with 12GB of ram? It's all questions hazaro asks you to answer in the OP so we know what you want.
I thought I was quite clear in my post about what my cousin's gonna use it for
M.Bluth said:
He'll manly use it for editing videos (Says he's buying Adobe Premiere CS5)
The budget is his, I simply asked him how much he's comfortable spending on it.
As for Sandy Bridge, as far as I know, it won't be on sale here for a couple of months, and he needs it before that.

M.Bluth said:
I thought I was quite clear in my post about what my cousin's gonna use it for

The budget is his, I simply asked him how much he's comfortable spending on it.
As for Sandy Bridge, as far as I know, it won't be on sale here for a couple of months, and he needs it before that.

Whoops, completely misread. That's my fuckup. Still, wait for sandy bridge like everyone else and then build. Where do you live that it won't be on sale for a couple of months?

M.Bluth

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Whoops, completely misread. That's my fuckup. Still, wait for sandy bridge like everyone else and then build. Where do you live that it won't be on sale for a couple of months?
He's in Saudi Arabia.. Well, I suppose I can talk him into buying it online or waiting then.

I'm not quite ready to build a PC just yet, but I was wondering if it's reasonable to think I could build a new machine with 4-500$ if I already have a case, hard drive, and DVD drive.

EDIT: Something with decent power (I want something to play Diablo 3).

FoxSpirit

Jimmy Stav said:
I'm not quite ready to build a PC just yet, but I was wondering if it's reasonable to think I could build a new machine with 4-500$ if I already have a case, hard drive, and DVD drive.

EDIT: Something with decent power (I want something to play Diablo 3).

It's a Blizzard game, don't worry. And yes, for $500 you can get something decent if you already have those other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom