• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
I should be doing hw said:
Anyone here have any experience with an Antec 183? I can't stop looking at it, I'm taken by its beauty.
Good in terms of sound isolation and build quality, but a very outdated case in terms of design. Bad cable management, no perpendicular bays, and you'll need to remove the top HDD brackets if you want to fit a large videocard. GPU cooling is also goin to be quite limited.

Although not quite as solid, the Fractal Define R3 is a much better case.

Mr_Brit

Banned
-viper- said:
Do the other temperatures look fine? Is 32 degrees for the hard drive high or low? How about 35 for the motherboard? (edit:. didn't read your post properly. saw that you mentioned that already)

I'm not sure - It's the stock Intel cooler. I've had it on for four years without any issues but recently it's just SHOT UP. It used to idle at about 40-45.

I have ordered an Arctic Freezer CPU Cooler and I'll see if that makes any difference with regards to the temp.

Also, I'm wondering how do I set my case fan speed to 100%? If I plug them directly to the PSU power cable, are they by default running at full speed?
Yeah, if plugged into molex on PSU the fans will run at 100%.

Looks like Overclockers.co.uk are already selling SB and compatible motherboards. Very tempting, especially with them currently paying the extra 2.5% VAT, but I still can't bring myself to buy something from that bigoted twat.

Jokab

My computer is this:
Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD4850 512mb
Processor: Intel Duo E8400 @ 3,0 gHz
PSU: Corsair 450W
Harddrive: Barracuda 7200 ST3250620A ATA 250 GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-DS3
RAM: Corsair TWIN2X PC6400 DDR2 4GB

It's on the day two years old now, and even when I bought it it wasn't exactly top of the game. I feel it's due for an update, but the question is, what should I upgrade? I'd say I have around $400 to spend, how do I get the most bang for my buck? I've already decided on a 1TB harddrive, probably the Samsung F3.

I use the computer to play both modern and old games, but that's pretty much it. I don't do any video/photo editing or anything like that, just games. Any tips are welcome!

Ok, I need help urgently. My "repaired" Laptop came back DOA and I'm leaving in 4 days!
For the $600 rig in the OP, what else would be needed aside from a case if one's starting from scratch. I'm guessing a sounds card and network card??

I also built a rig on ibuypower.com that'll be just under $600, but mixed reviews have made me hesitant. Has anyone here had a computer made from them?
Specs:
- AMD Athlon™ II X2 260 Dual-Core CPU
- 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand
- ATI Radeon HD 5750 - 1GB - Single Card
- ASUS M4A78LT-M-LE -- AMD 760G/SB710 Chipset
- 700 Watt power supply
- 1 TB HARD DRIVE 7200 RPM
- 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black

Budget: $600 w/ sound and network card(USA)
Main Use: General use Mid-tier gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Specific Games I'd Like to Play: Mass Effect, Burnout Paradise, Resident Evil 5

Wazzim

Banned
AwakenedCloud said:
Ok, I need help urgently. My "repaired" Laptop came back DOA and I'm leaving in 4 days!
For the $600 rig in the OP, what else would be needed aside from a case if one's starting from scratch. I'm guessing a sounds card and network card??
The motherboards have sound and network built in.

Sanic

Apevia mid tower case
AMD 6000+ dual core 3.0 ghz processor
4 GB DDR 2 800 MHZ
320 GB SATA II hard drive
24x DVD Burner
Antec 500 Watt power supply
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT
ASUS M4A785-M Motherboard
Winodows Vista 32 Bit OS with CD and KEY

I ended up purchasing this for $370. If I want to put another $100 or so into it, what is recommended?

TheKurgan

Video Card question:

I am building a PC and plan to buy a 24" 1080p monitor. What video cards should I be looking at to provide good/great performance at that resolution? Wondering if I have to go with something like a 6950, or if I could get away with a 1MB overclocked 460

AwakenedCloud said:

I also built a rig on ibuypower.com that'll be just under $600, but mixed reviews have made me hesitant. Has anyone here had a computer made from them?
Specs:
- AMD Athlon™ II X2 260 Dual-Core CPU
- 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand
- ATI Radeon HD 5750 - 1GB - Single Card
- ASUS M4A78LT-M-LE -- AMD 760G/SB710 Chipset
- 700 Watt power supply
- 1 TB HARD DRIVE 7200 RPM
- 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black

Budget: $600 w/ sound and network card(USA)
Main Use: General use Mid-tier gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Specific Games I'd Like to Play: Mass Effect, Burnout Paradise, Resident Evil 5

A PSU with 500W would do with that setup. I'm running a Phenom 955be with 5850 and dual hdd's on a 510W PSU.

Maybe you could use the money you save to invest in stuff like a faster CPU.

-viper-

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Wow, that case looks incredible though it's a little pricey. Are there any similar alternatives to the R3?

TheExodu5

Banned
-viper- said:
Wow, that case looks incredible though it's a little pricey. Are there any similar alternatives to the R3?
It should only be about $100. Not sure about it's availability in the US though.

sh4mike

Any monitor recommendations for a 24-27 inch display? Google search was surprisingly lacking for professional reviews; perhaps build quality is pretty similar at this point.

Mareg

fushi said:
In case anyone else is in the market for a cheaper SSD, I found this review to be fairly helpful:

http://www.storagereview.com/ocz_vertex_2_review_120gb

... mostly in determining that SSDs with the same Sandforce controller perform on a very similar level.

The cheapest one in my area is a OCZ Vertex 2 60GB for 107 euros. I don't think I'll find use for a 120/128 GB model.

I've gotten myselft this exact same drive after a long week of informing myself about SSD. I think it is currently one of the best option on the market and the price can't be betten. Buy it with confidence.

I suggest you do visit the OCZ forum because there is a couple of little very important things to know about SSD and OCZ Sandforce SSD in particular.

-viper-

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
It should only be about $100. Not sure about it's availability in the US though.
It costs £83 in the UK.

BTW I think my CPU has overheated. Was just using it then my PC went dead. I tried restarting it, and it only boots up to the Asus splash screen and then the screen goes black. I'm going to try and leave it for a while and try turning it on later in the night. I hope it's not fried. :\

But if it is, then I guess it allows me to buy upgrade my PC. But I think I'll have to end up getting a new motherboard, new RAM and a new CPU. Unless I can get all that for very cheaply...

iNvid02

which one is better you think? both are same price too
the ocz is faster on paper (probably in practice too) but have heard its random access that matters most

intel x-25m 120gb ssd - up to 250mb read and 100mb write
ocz vertex 2 120gb ssd - up to 285mb read and 275mb write

mbmonk

I am really torn and confused about what path to take to upgrade my 8800GT 512. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Important to me: 1080P performance in gaming and an HDMI output. I don't care about AA, AF, multi monitor support, DX 10 or DX 11 ( I am still running XP ).

Price Rang: $100 - $200

Options are (all prices from Amazon - gift card):
HD 5770 = $115 ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035K6H2C/?tag=neogaf0e-20)

GT460 768MB = $150 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003V8AS00/?tag=neogaf0e-20)

HD 6850 = $165 ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047ZGIUK/?tag=neogaf0e-20 )

The problem is, from looking at the benchmarks on Tom's hardware, that the two more expensive cards don't significantly outperform the HD 5770. So I don't see why I should pay an extra $35 or $50 for very marginal performance gains over the 5770.

Am I off here? Opinions are welcomed. :p

Wazzim

Banned
So I decided to get a SB but I see a 2500 and 2500k at a site, what's the difference except the price(about 15eur)?

Rufus

The latter is a SB, as far as I can see. Or the on-die GPU is different, look it up, I can't be assed, sorry. :lol

Wazzim

Banned
Rufus said:
The latter is a SB.
Thanks, they both use the 1155 socket so I thought the one without the "k" would be a SB too. Still have to wait a month to get everything together but it will be worth it.

Azzurri

Gold Member
I have this so far, need to buy the rest.

5327199977_ff48c7252c_z.jpg

Still need a SSD drive, CPU, Mobo, RAM, and Optical, and Win 7.

Wazzim

Banned
Rufus said:
Check and double check again, just to make sure. I'm not paying much attention to the Sandy Bridge stuff.

fake edit: Take a look at the first chart. Turn out I'm wrong, as expected. Still, there's a difference, dunno if it matters anything to you though.
Ah well, just googled and found out that the 2500K is able to overclock much better because it allows you to use the multiplier.

Smash88

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Good in terms of sound isolation and build quality, but a very outdated case in terms of design. Bad cable management, no perpendicular bays, and you'll need to remove the top HDD brackets if you want to fit a large videocard. GPU cooling is also goin to be quite limited.

I agree, I have a P183, and it is a nightmare to get the cpu power cables up all the way, they barely reach, and I have to pull like crazy to get them there. The cooling is decent, and the variable speed on the top and rear fan is nice. The thing that makes it is the sound insulation, good stuff. Although yes by now it is outdated. I have a GTX470 in there and it can fit without removing the top HDD bracket though. So dunno what Exodu5 is talking about.

Azzurri

Gold Member
Here are the supposed prices for Sandy Bridge CPU at Microcenter, in store only.

Core i5 2400 $149.99
Core i5 2500K $179.99
Core i7 2600 $249.99
Core i7 2600k $279.99

Emitan

I'm going to upgrade my CPU soon, which unfortunately (well in this case, sort of fortunately) I also need to upgrade my mobo and RAM. I was low on money so I've been running a Core 2 Duo for a while now and while it's not that great, my Radeon 5770 is being bottlenecked by it. With the new Sandy Bridge processors coming out this week are the previous processors going to be a lot cheaper? Should I go for the new ones?

Pandoracell said:
I don't mind spending a bit more, but it wouldn't be of more benefit to get a more modern gpu? Maybe something from the Radeon 5xxx series? I don't know anything about that cpu, so I could be completely off the wall with this :)

Any modern GPU is going to be hella bottlenecked by that 6000+. My 6400+ bottlenecked my 8800gtx.

Lime

AwakenedCloud said:
Is there any video card in under $100 you'd recommend over the one I posted above?

I don't deal in dollars, so I don't have an idea about value. But in terms of performance at a lower price, would the 5770 be affordable for you?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Azzurri said:
Here are the supposed prices for Sandy Bridge CPU at Microcenter, in store only.

Core i5 2400 $149.99
Core i5 2500K $179.99
Core i7 2600 $249.99
Core i7 2600k $279.99

Nice!

Shambles

TheKurgan said:
Video Card question:

I am building a PC and plan to buy a 24" 1080p monitor. What video cards should I be looking at to provide good/great performance at that resolution? Wondering if I have to go with something like a 6950, or if I could get away with a 1MB overclocked 460

At 1080P you'll get great performance starting with the 4870/5770 level of GPUs. The 1GB GTX 460 will do even better.

AwakenedCloud said:
Is there any video card in under $100 you'd recommend over the one I posted above?

In addition to looking for a 5770 at that price above you might be able to find a 1Gb 4870 for under 100$ as well, although they are getting harder and harder to come across.

Emitan

Shambles said:
At 1080P you'll get great performance starting with the 4870/5770 level of GPUs. The 1GB GTX 460 will do even better.
My proc holds me back a bit, but I can confirm the 5770 works fine on a 1080p monitor.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Heads Up: There are rumours of a GTX 560 coming out at the end of January with just below 6950 performance but for 1GB GTX 460 prices. It will be a fully unlocked and higher stock/OC clocked GF114 chip with 1GB of memory and similar noise/power draw/heat as the 460. Might be worth waiting for if you're planning on picking up a GTX 460.

Mr_Brit said:
Heads Up: There are rumours of a GTX 560 coming out at the end of January with just below 6950 performance but for 1GB GTX 460 prices. It will be a fully unlocked and higher stock/OC clocked GF114 chip with 1GB of memory and similar noise/power draw/heat as the 460. Might be worth waiting for if you're planning on picking up a GTX 460.

Typical. My 460 just arrived this morning. :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
iNvidious01 said:
which one is better you think? both are same price too
the ocz is faster on paper (probably in practice too) but have heard its random access that matters most

intel x-25m 120gb ssd - up to 250mb read and 100mb write
ocz vertex 2 120gb ssd - up to 285mb read and 275mb write
OCZ is faster, but the Intel is proven to be very reliable. Random writes are pretty rare, and only really occur when you turn off your PC...and even then with the speed of the Intel it's nearly instant anyways.

I'd personally get the Intel...though you might want to wait for G3, which will match the OCZ speeds, and have increased write counts.

TheExodu5

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
I'm calling it: $250 at launch, inflated to $270-$280 with demand. If your budget is <$200, GTX 460 will still be your best bet.

And it will be slower than the 6950.

Jin34

Wazzim said:
So I decided to get a SB but I see a 2500 and 2500k at a site, what's the difference except the price(about 15eur)?

They are both Sandy Bridge cpus, the only difference is the k model has an unlocked multiplier and better gpu.

Emitan

Mr_Brit said:
Wow. I might just upgrade my GPU, too. I only bought a 5770 because I was poor at the time.

Lime said:
I don't deal in dollars, so I don't have an idea about value. But in terms of performance at a lower price, would the 5770 be affordable for you?
Newegg has a 1 gig 5770 by a comany named HIS in the price range I'm looking for. It has good reviews.
They also have a 1 gig GeForce GTS 450 by EVGA at a comparable cost. Would either of these two do? I'm sorry for being so obnoxious but I need this done today, all the help has been tremendous.

TheExodu5

Banned
Smash88 said:
I agree, I have a P183, and it is a nightmare to get the cpu power cables up all the way, they barely reach, and I have to pull like crazy to get them there. The cooling is decent, and the variable speed on the top and rear fan is nice. The thing that makes it is the sound insulation, good stuff. Although yes by now it is outdated. I have a GTX470 in there and it can fit without removing the top HDD bracket though. So dunno what Exodu5 is talking about.
You probably can't put HDDs in the bracket though. If so, you're better off removing it to allow room for the intake airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom