• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hah, I fucked up and got the 2500, not the 2500K. Called my friend who works there to let him know I'll be exchanging for the 2500K after work.

The locked CPU was $230, and UD4 was 200.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
-COOLIO- said:
anyone know where i can download a good temperature monitor that displays info right on the desktop?
What depth of information? There are a bunch of windows gadgets that work well, I use orbmu2k's GPU observer and Intel core series gadgets.

Jin34

TheExodu5 said:
Hah, I fucked up and got the 2500, not the 2500K. Called my friend who works there to let him know I'll be exchanging for the 2500K after work.

The locked CPU was $230, and UD4 was 200.

Early adopter tax! Then again it's Canadian $. Do tell us your OCing experience after you're done taking it for a spin. Do you have Dolphin?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
poppabk said:
What depth of information? There are a bunch of windows gadgets that work well, I use orbmu2k's GPU observer and Intel core series gadgets.
just temps for each core

ill look those up.

thanks!

edit: i got the intel core series gadget but how do i make it bigger? :S

desu

Still not 100% sure if to upgrade, but damn 2600k is way too sexy.

In germany its pretty easy to get 2500k/2600ks right now, seeing tons of people on forums that either received their orders already or just ordered theirs (but mostly just over phone calls).

grkazan12

I don't want to rush it because I'm not in a big hurry or anything, but I was wondering when these builds are going to be up after seeing the estimated prices?. Really excited after seeing the sandy bridge results.

The Get a Little More Build: $900
The Spend a Little More Build: $1,200

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
grkazan12 said:
I don't want to rush it because I'm not in a big hurry or anything, but I was wondering when these builds are going to be up after seeing the estimated prices?. Really excited after seeing the sandy bridge results.

The Get a Little More Build: $900
The Spend a Little More Build: $1,200
I'm playing it safe on the motherboards, so when user feedback rolls in on the ASUS's new BIOS and such I'll put a P67 board in there (Most likely the UD4 / P67 Pro, with the UD3 and P67 as a 'budget' option).

It is very hard to not jump in and buy something right now ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Outdoor Miner said:
Hard OCP reviews MSI P67A-GD65 (Gold Award)

A lot of GAF folk ignore MSI motherboards. Their high end boards are every bit as good as Asus and Gigabyte offerings, especially for overclocking.
It's true, but I am a person of habit and unless the MSI offers something considerable for the price I have no reason to change my brands of preference.
If for $180 it has 8x/8x and it doesn't kill any of the USB 3 ports then it's got a $20 lead on other boards.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
xero273 said:
It's suppose to be $179
I like the price of the P67/lower tier. And as long as I can lightly overclock then I am happy. I am making a huge jump from a dual core Athlon 4850e 2.5mhz. I have nothing for a video card and am going to go the higher route now. I am running my new PSU in this old build now to test it. THings are coming together but not until I can buy the board I want.

vocab

Asus always has stupid expensive boards. I went with MSI for over 5 years, and thought they were solid boards. I might go with a Gigabyte board next upgrade to try something else, but I always always impressed with MSI.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
vocab said:
Asus always has stupid expensive boards. I went with MSI for over 5 years, and thought they were solid boards. I might go with a Gigabyte board next upgrade to try something else, but I always always impressed with MSI.
ASUS P67 board slotting in at $140, the GB UD3 at $130, and most likely an MSI is in that range as well.
More features, you pay more (MOSFETs, cooling, power reg, SATA, eSATA, PCI-E bandwidth)

Askia47

If only more motherboards had wireless lan, then it would be great. Right now my mobo sucks, but I'll ride it out for a while longer.

TheExodu5

Banned
Askia47 said:
If only more motherboards had wireless lan, then it would be great. Right now my mobo sucks, but I'll ride it out for a while longer.
You can get a nice Asus wireless cars for like $20.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
You're all fools for not wanting the Fatal1ty board!

Fatal1ty-UEFI-Desc.jpg

Who doesn't want him staring at you while you mess around with BIOS!

Sanic

If possible, i'm trying to build something for around $475 shipped, including a copy of Windows. I feel like i'm really limiting myself by going that low, but I would like to try and work with that price point. Looking at the $600 build in the OP, I would be ok with a 750gb or even 500gb hard drive, but i'm not really sure where else I could make some efficient cuts. Any recommendations?

TheExodu5

Banned
Pandoracell said:
If possible, i'm trying to build something for around $475 shipped, including a copy of Windows. I feel like i'm really limiting myself by going that low, but I would like to try and work with that price point. Looking at the $600 build in the OP, I would be ok with a 750gb or even 500gb hard drive, but i'm not really sure where else I could make some efficient cuts. Any recommendations?
Remove the third party heatsink ($30). Cheaper PSU ($30). Cheaper video card like a 4850 ($60).

I seriously suggest you save up the extra cash though...at least for the better PSU.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pandoracell said:
Try to buy that system, but used with a 4870 or gtx 260 (and most likely a q6600).

There might be some people selfing their old rigs (I know I'll be selling mine), you can put a quad core in it and off you go!

Sanic

TheExodu5 said:
Remove the third party heatsink ($30). Cheaper PSU ($30). Cheaper video card like a 4850 ($60).

I seriously suggest you save up the extra cash though...at least for the better PSU.

It looks like I may have to, even with those changes i'll still go way over budget. I'm not trying to build a gaming PC necessarily, I just need something to replace the ancient desktop and aging laptops that I now use. I just know i'm being ripped off by walking into Bestbuy or similar and buying one of their PCs off that shelf for $500, so i'm going this route. I will do gaming and game development on it, but I really don't want to spend $650+ on this, which looks like the baseline for anything truly decent.

TheExodu5

Banned
If you happen to be in Ottawa, I'll be selling my old rig. :p

Q8300 @ 3.0GHz
Scythe Mugen 2
Cooler Master CM 690
GTX 275
4GB RAM
80GB Intel G2 SSD
1TB WD Black
1TB WD Green
DVD-RW
CD-RW

$500

TheExodu5 said:

Where can you buy a 4850 for $60? I couldn't find one on Newegg since they're being phased out. Could be useful for my younger brother's budget PC.

itxaka

Defeatist
So I got a GTX 1Gb 460 OC that just broke. Is there anything better I can exchange it for? The shop allows me to choose an alternative product of the same price/paying a bit more.

I was thinking about the new ATIs but I have 0 idea regarding ATI cards. Or maybe I don't even need to get a new one and instead I should change it for the same card¿?

Sanic

TheExodu5 said:

I'm not, but thanks for the offer :p.

Try to buy that system, but used with a 4870 or gtx 260 (and most likely a q6600).

There might be some people selfing their old rigs (I know I'll be selling mine), you can put a quad core in it and off you go!

I would like to make a purchase sooner rather than latter, and i'm not sure how much luck I would have scouring ebay and Craigslist, but I suppose this is something to consider.

vocab

itxaka said:
So I got a GTX 1Gb 460 OC that just broke. Is there anything better I can exchange it for? The shop allows me to choose an alternative product of the same price/paying a bit more.

I was thinking about the new ATIs but I have 0 idea regarding ATI cards. Or maybe I don't even need to get a new one and instead I should change it for the same card¿?

Did you like the card before it broke? Just get a replacement.

itxaka

Defeatist
vocab said:
Did you like the card before it broke? Just get a replacement.

Yep a lot! But with all those benchmarks lately(which I haven't been able to check them) seems like the new HD6xxx came really strong so I wanted to be sure before taking a wrong decision :D

Thanks!

vocab

itxaka said:
Yep a lot! But with all those benchmarks lately(which I haven't been able to check them) seems like the new HD6xxx came really strong so I wanted to be sure before taking a wrong decision :D

Thanks!

Well of course those benchmark higher, they are newer cards, and the 6950 > 6970 mod is crazy value. If you could step up to a newer card for cheap with your current card, then that's up to you.

AkIRA_22

TheExodu5 said:
Since I'm likely to require cable extensions with my HAF X, I'll be getting the sexy NZXT single sleeved extensions:

IMG_6839.jpg

Should do nicely.

FUUUUUUCK, I've been looking for those bastards for ever. I thought people were just modding their own sleeves now I can just buy it. Thanks for the heads up mate.

iam220

TheExodu5 said:

Q8300 @ 3.0GHz
Scythe Mugen 2
Cooler Master CM 690
GTX 275
4GB RAM
80GB Intel G2 SSD
1TB WD Black
1TB WD Green
DVD-RW
CD-RW

$500

You're not willing to part that out are ya? I'm interested in your cpu and gpu, I can also trade you my e7300 and ati4850 on top of cash so that you'll still have a complete rig to sell ...

Popeck

I've been thinking about finally getting a new PC. I would use it for gaming (I've got a shitload of PC games to catch up on from like last 7 years) and I would do some video editing on it. It's been many years since I last looked into these things so there are many things I'm not so sure about.

Now, from what I've understood, I would need a good amount of RAM, maybe 2x4GB (1333 MHz) for the editing purposes. For the graphics card I've been thinking Radeon 6850 or Geforce GTX 460, but I'm not really sure which make should choose. 64 GB SSD would of course be nice, but again, I'm not really sure what manufacturer would be good.

Of the processors, I've been looking at Phenom II X6 1055T, but I'm not sure if I should choose Intel. I don't know the details about the different processors, like how a Intel i5 would compare against that 1055T, but I've got a budget, so I don't think i7 would be an option. Six cores would be good for editing but not that important for gaming, or would it? I'm not going to do anything effect heavy, pretty basic editing.

What about motherboard? What would be a decent, not too expensive choice for a motherboard? That's the one part I think I've got the least understanding on. Would something like Asus M4a87td be nice?

Oh, I've looked at some cases, and I really liked Fractal Design Define R3. Of course I would need a PSU. I don't think I'll do too much overclocking or crazy crossfire stuff, but it would be nice to have a trustworthy, decently silent and efficient power supply. Corsair?

I live in Finland, so the prices can be a bit difficult to compare to the USA ones, for example.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Ikuu said:
You're all fools for not wanting the Fatal1ty board!

Fatal1ty-UEFI-Desc.jpg

Who doesn't want him staring at you while you mess around with BIOS!

This is the worst thing ever. Ever. I'm going to say that again, "Ever."

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Pop my 1055T handles anything I throw at it, I have it oc'd on stock air at 3.2ish GHz, it stays really cool. Editing/Games, no problem.

I got this hexacore to later add an SSD (ATM I have 2 1TB F3's) and have a pretty future proof system for a while for what I need it for.

If anything, after adding the SSD I can throw a new GPU refresh from the current batch of top cards in 8 months or so. We'll see.

Sanic

What do you guys think of this for $400?

Apevia mid tower case
AMD 6000+ dual core 3.0 ghz processor
4 GB DDR 2 800 MHZ
320 GB SATA II hard drive
24x DVD Burner
Antec 500 Watt power supply
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT
ASUS M4A785-M Motherboard
Winodows Vista 32 Bit OS with CD and KEY

At least something to build off of if I get another $100 to slot into it down the line?

Omiee

yeah i was thinking of getting a second 470 but i just cant wait for it, i think im just going to get a 6970 and in april get a second 6970.
but the cpu will have to wait.

what cpu cooler does gaf recommend me for my i5 760.
i want to overclock it to 4.0

-viper-

Banned
I need help. Like real big help.

x-rw-80mm-large.jpg

What is the proper way for installing this fan as INTAKE?

Should the label be facing inwards to the pc?

I have no idea what orientation the fan is for intake or exhaust.

Also, I currently have a E6600, Asus P5B Deluxe and 2GB RAM PC. I'm thinking of upgrading, or should I wait a few months? My budget is £150-200. Is there a worthwhile upgrade for this? My PC feels slow. :\ PC seems to lock up when I have Firefox on with many tabs.

I've already got a OCZ 600w Powersupply, 640mb 8800GTS, 1TB Western Digital HDD.

How difficult is it to install a motherboard? My cousin built the PC for me almost 4 years ago and it is beginning to feel slow now, so I think I should upgrade it soon. Don't really need a new graphics card since I don't use my PC for games.

Omiee said:
yeah i was thinking of getting a second 470 but i just cant wait for it, i think im just going to get a 6970 and in april get a second 6970.
but the cpu will have to wait.

what cpu cooler does gaf recommend me for my i5 760.
i want to overclock it to 4.0

Didn't you just upgrade to the 470 not too long ago? You do the things I have to force myself not to do.

TheExodu5

Banned
So I got my eVGA GTX 570 home tonight...and the PCI bracket (metal part of the card) is bent. I mean, massively bent. Like 45 degrees bent.

What the fuck, eVGA?

artist

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
So I got my eVGA GTX 570 home tonight...and the PCI bracket (metal part of the card) is bent. I mean, massively bent. Like 45 degrees bent.

What the fuck, eVGA?
eVGA has gone down the drain over the past 6-8 months IMO.

matmanx1

TheExodu5 said:

What the fuck, eVGA?

Wow that's terrible! But also very un-EVGA like. That's one serious fluke!

matmanx1

Pandoracell said:
What do you guys think of this for $400?

At least something to build off of if I get another $100 to slot into it down the line?

Yeah that's decent for $400 although TheExodu5's $500 offered build would smoke that one for only $100 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom