• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shambles

AwakenedCloud said:
Newegg has a 1 gig 5770 by a comany named HIS in the price range I'm looking for. It has good reviews.
They also have a 1 gig GeForce GTS 450 by EVGA at a comparable cost. Would either of these two do? I'm sorry for being so obnoxious but I need this done today, all the help has been tremendous.

The 5770 is 10-15% faster than the GTS 450

iNvid02

TheExodu5 said:
OCZ is faster, but the Intel is proven to be very reliable. Random writes are pretty rare, and only really occur when you turn off your PC...and even then with the speed of the Intel it's nearly instant anyways.

I'd personally get the Intel...though you might want to wait for G3, which will match the OCZ speeds, and have increased write counts.

will make do with the raptor for a while then, thanks

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Are there any good benchmarks showing mismatched GPUs in CrossfireX? Thinking of adding a 5850 to my 5870 if I get an i7-2500K

mbmonk said:
I am really torn and confused about what path to take to upgrade my 8800GT 512. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Important to me: 1080P performance in gaming and an HDMI output. I don't care about AA, AF, multi monitor support, DX 10 or DX 11 ( I am still running XP ).

Price Rang: $100 - $200

Options are (all prices from Amazon - gift card):
HD 5770 = $115 ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035K6H2C/?tag=neogaf0e-20)

GT460 768MB = $150 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003V8AS00/?tag=neogaf0e-20)

HD 6850 = $165 ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047ZGIUK/?tag=neogaf0e-20 )

The problem is, from looking at the benchmarks on Tom's hardware, that the two more expensive cards don't significantly outperform the HD 5770. So I don't see why I should pay an extra $35 or $50 for very marginal performance gains over the 5770.

Am I off here? Opinions are welcomed. :p
Someone posted this deal a few pages back (a 5870 for $200 after rebate):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-102-883

I just ordered one the other day... it's a bit higher than the price range you mentioned, but for me it was a better bang for the buck than a 6850 or similar. (Though it might be different for you since you have the Amazon gift card.)

Ecto311

Any reports of last gen stuff dropping or being worth the difference? My parents are in need of a comp but have a case, drive, power so they only need the motherboard, cpu, and ram.

Wait for cheap last gen stuff or just go for middle, low new gen stuff?

snack

ZZMitch said:
How often do you all go about cleaning your computers and what is considered the best way to do it... compressed air?
Yeah, I use compressed air to get rid of all those dust bunnies.

I clean the insides of my PC about once every 2-3 months.

Can anyone in this thread speak generally on the viability of going 64-bit with gaming in mind? Is it even worth it? What are the pros/cons? Is it hard to find 64-bit variants on newer games? Is it still possible to play 32-bit ones, and if so how much of a pain is it?

catapult37 said:
Can anyone in this thread speak generally on the viability of going 64-bit with gaming in mind? Is it even worth it? What are the pros/cons? Is it hard to find 64-bit variants on newer games? Is it still possible to play 32-bit ones, and if so how much of a pain is it?

pretty much all games are 32-bit. I have only seen a couple of 64-bit games.

snack

catapult37 said:
With 32-bit Windows, you're stuck at 4GB of RAM, and even then, you're only using about 3.3GB of it, give or take. With 64-bit, 4GB of RAM is the new minimum standard, and with 4GB, you can run tons of applications with zero slowdown.

mbmonk

rohlfinator said:
Someone posted this deal a few pages back (a 5870 for $200 after rebate):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-102-883

I just ordered one the other day... it's a bit higher than the price range you mentioned, but for me it was a better bang for the buck than a 6850 or similar. (Though it might be different for you since you have the Amazon gift card.)

That is a damn good deal.... ugh. How can I shift the monies to get it?! Me likey.

vocab

catapult37 said:

It's fine. There's no real reason to stay 32 bit anymore. Driver support used to be pretty crappy for 64 bit, but now it's a primary focus. About game compatibility, there is no problem what so ever. You might get 1 in 100 games that don't work, but it's usually a simple fix, or a game that had barely any support when it first came out and had problems running on high end hardware back then.

One of the main reasons to go 64 is to remove the memory limit that 32 bit presents.

Smokey

jambo said:
Every game I'm throwing at the new GTX 570 is running perfectly.

I tried Mafia 2, Borderlands, BFBC2 and STALKER: CoP and they all ran great maxed out.

The cars in Mafia 2 look amazing, BFBC2 is incredibly smooth and pretty, STALKER blew me away when I was using my flashlight and I can now run Borderlands with shadows and everything else turned on.

The jump from 4870x2 (CF disabled so 4850) to GTX 570 is huge. Downloading Crysis on Steam atm so I can really work the new card!

what res? 1080p?

Nabs said:
Microcenter is going to have 2500k for $179 in-stores only (1/9)

http://www.microcenter.com/storefronts/powerspec/index.html

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
DKo5 said:
Are there any good benchmarks showing mismatched GPUs in CrossfireX? Thinking of adding a 5850 to my 5870 if I get an i7-2500K
From what I remember in the 4xxx series, you get the performance equivalent of the lowest performer in CF, with greater CF issues than normal. It is not a good choice imo.

vocab said:
It's fine. There's no real reason to stay 32 bit anymore. Driver support used to be pretty crappy for 64 bit, but now it's a primary focus. About game compatibility, there is no problem what so ever. You might get 1 in 100 games that don't work, but it's usually a simple fix, or a game that had barely any support when it first came out and had problems running on high end hardware back then.

One of the main reasons to go 64 is to remove the memory limit that 32 bit presents.

But it's going to cost extra. And the PC I'm currently building in my mind (since I don't have any actual money) is designed for multitasking only to the extent that it will only ever run two things at a time: Steam and the game I'm playing. :) I'm guessing that you will still be hard-pressed to find many games right now that will take advantage of even 4GB (or 3.3 or whatever) in a meaningful way. Yes/no?

hyelife

catapult37 said:
But it's going to cost extra. And the PC I'm currently building in my mind (since I don't have any actual money) is designed for multitasking only to the extent that it will only ever run two things at a time: Steam and the game I'm playing. :) I'm guessing that you will still be hard-pressed to find many games right now that will take advantage of even 4GB (or 3.3 or whatever) in a meaningful way. Yes/no?
Its better to go 64bit just in case in the future you want to speed up your computer you can add some more memory to it. IMO no one should be using computers with less then 4 gigs of ram.

matmanx1

Pandoracell said:
I ended up purchasing this for $370. If I want to put another $100 or so into it, what is recommended?

I'm going to throw out a wildcard here and say your best expenditure of $100 would be to purchase a Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit upgrade and ditch that crappy Windows Vista. Windows 7 is much improved over Vista and a 64bit OS would allow you to take advantage of 4GB of RAM and more.

vocab

catapult37 said:

cost is about the same. If you mean cost of more ram, it's cheap as shit. I just got another 4 for $50.

Chris R

I'm getting pissed off with my current computer again. Nothing I do seems to allow me to underclock my CPU while it isn't in use, and I can't get my fans to slow down. Adjusting percentages in SpeedFan is doing nothing, and I tried to adjust stuff in the bios but I'm still running at 100% everything 100% of the time. Might just sell this pos and get Sandy Bridge. Never buying another MSI product ever again :lol

Joe Molotov

I bought a SSD as my boot drive, but now I'm thinking about buying a 300GB VelicoRaptor for my Steam drive. Good idea, bad idea? It's either that, or a standard issue WD Caviar Black.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Joe Molotov said:
I bought a SSD as my boot drive, but now I'm thinking about buying a 300GB VelicoRaptor for my Steam drive. Good idea, bad idea? It's either that, or a standard issue WD Caviar Black.
pointless

iNvid02

Joe Molotov said:

1tb caviar black - $90
600gb wd raptor - $300

for games, just get the caviar black

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hell, get a 2TB F4 for $90.
I grabbed mine for $80, just remember to update the firmware so it doesn't die on you. :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Dear god this GTX 570 pumps out a ridiculous amount of heat.

Pretty noisy for my tastes too...though I'm used to running my GTX 275 at 35% fan speed.

I might end up spending the $80 on the Accelero. We'll see how the HAF X improves the temps.

edit: mind you, this is in Furmark, which reportedly runs it at around 300W, whereas Crysis only runs it around 200W, so it might never actually get this loud during gameplay.

We'll see.

The fan profile is quite good. Only ramps up as much as it needs to. Gets to about 60% in Furmark.

TheExodu5 said:
Dear god this GTX 570 pumps out a ridiculous amount of heat.

Pretty noisy for my tastes too...though I'm used to running my GTX 275 at 35% fan speed.

I might end up spending the $80 on the Accelero. We'll see how the HAF X improves the temps.

edit: mind you, this is in Furmark, which reportedly runs it at around 300W, whereas Crysis only runs it around 200W, so it might never actually get this loud during gameplay.

We'll see.

The fan profile is quite good. Only ramps up as much as it needs to. Gets to about 60% in Furmark.

you should see how two 580s feel, I got really scared the first night 'cause i thought the thing was going to shut down.

hyelife said:
Ok so anyone know much about servers? If yes please comment on the setup I have.

Case - Chenbro Case RM21706
MB - SUPERMICRO MBD-X8DTE-F-O Dual LGA 1366
CPU - Intel Xeon E5620
Memory - Kingston ValueRAM 6GB
HDD - WD VelociRaptor 300GB 10k RPM x3

Also any recommendations on Raid Controller's or is the on-board one good enough?
If this is only going to be storage server, I would go with more storage space rather than the HDD speed. If you are hosting things like a database, website, etc. you may want to max out the RAM.

My gtx 260 for the last few months will make a slight high pitch whine noise when under load aka playing games for more then 10 minutes, I'm thinking that the fan speeds are increasing ever since I played around with rivatuner, hm. I am not worried about cooling much as my pc is running rather frosty plus I have two case fans doing a good job right now, but I need to stop that annoying whine noise.

While idle right now:

GPU 48C, CPU 38C, AUX 35C, System 40C

hyelife

Eaten By A Grue said:
If this is only going to be storage server, I would go with more storage space rather than the HDD speed. If you are hosting things like a database, website, etc. you may want to max out the RAM.
Server is going to be used in company storing data and having other networks accessing it. The data being stored is not big either so I don't think I need too much space.

TheExodu5

Banned
How are these stock fans safe? Pumping out all the hot air out of a tiny slot...it actually burns my hand if I touch it for more than a second.

Anyways, got a quick n' dirty stable overclock:

840 core
2100 memory

No voltage modding yet.

Diablohead said:
My gtx 260 for the last few months will make a slight high pitch whine noise when under load aka playing games for more then 10 minutes, I'm thinking that the fan speeds are increasing ever since I played around with rivatuner, hm. I am not worried about cooling much as my pc is running rather frosty plus I have two case fans doing a good job right now, but I need to stop that annoying whine noise.

While idle right now:

GPU 48C, CPU 38C, AUX 35C, System 40C

Is this in Stalker CoP by any chance?

Chris R

Ugh this motherboard is a piece of shit. 4 fans plugged into the motherboard, only a single fan showing up in every single monitor software program I have.

Just going to go to radio shack and buy a few molex connectors and run everything at 7v instead of 12v. That worked back in the day, shame I have to resort to that now to quiet down my beast. Ugh seriously, MSI sucks.

T-Matt

Hazaro said:
Hell, get a 2TB F4 for $90.
I grabbed mine for $80, just remember to update the firmware so it doesn't die on you. :lol
Are the f4's the new hottness for complimenting a SSD?

TheExodu5

Banned
T-Matt said:
Are the f4's the new hottness for complimenting a SSD?

Pretty much. Quick seek times from a 7200RPM are pretty much wasted since almost all the reading will be sequential. The 5400RPM F4 pretty much has the speeds of the 1TB WD Blacks, and are far quieter, and cheaper to boot. Don't see any reason to get anything else.

Can someone explain using an SSD as an OS boot or link something simple explaining it and the do's and don'ts. I also have no idea how to partition the OS into it's own section which I've heard is the best thing to do.

Ashhong

I know you guys all went crazy last time, but is there anything wrong with using a vacuum to take the dust out of the PC if i take off the brush? I just want to use the plastic part to pick up the big pieces here and there

knitoe

matmanx1 said:
I went with the UD4. Superbiiz had it yesterday for $176 and I liked the look better than the Asus P67 boards although both seemed to have layouts that were pretty good. Yeah, aesthetics are important to me when it comes right down to it.

In general I prefer Asus parts as I've had alot of great luck with them over the years but this time around I've got a Gigabyte 6970 and a Gigabyte UD4 going in to the same system. I've got a friend who loves Gigabyte stuff and I know alot of folks have gotten good service from them so I'm not too worried about it at this point.
Went with the Asus P8P67 Deluxe for $217 total with ground shipping. Wondering, what their ship time is. Has your order shipped?

"How come Newegg still isn't selling Sandy Bridge cpus/mobos?"

Because they're not supposed to yet. I haven't seen any major retailer selling the CPUs yet.

matmanx1

knitoe said:
Went with the Asus P8P67 Deluxe for $217 total with ground shipping. Wondering, what their ship time is. Has your order shipped?

Yeah they shipped same day. I already have the tracking info with a scheduled delivery of Monday. I'm on the east coast and they are in California and I didn't want to pay for anything more than ground shipping since I may not even have a CPU next week, depending on availability of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom