• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbox

Mr_Brit said:
Looks good except you should wait for SB and pick one of them up instead, Oh, also get an aftermarket cooler so you can overclock.

Not really interested in overclocking but I do want a completely silent PC - not watercooled though.

I'm a noob, but what's SB?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
-Viper- look in between the top/bottom parts of the square frame of the fan, there should be arrows pointing to the direction of airflow :lol

Manp

-viper- said:
I need help. Like real big help.

x-rw-80mm-large.jpg

What is the proper way for installing this fan as INTAKE?

Should the label be facing inwards to the pc?

I have no idea what orientation the fan is for intake or exhaust.

dude.... look around the fan's frame, there should be to arrows pointing in 2 direction at 90° from each other. one is for the direction of the airflow, the other for the direction in which the fan spins.

either way can't you just turn it on an try? :lol

:)

asdad123

Any recommendations for a wireless keyboard and mouse?

Looking for one with the longest range. It's be awesome to hook my computer up to the tv downstair with the hdmi cable from my cable box right next to it haha.

jambo

Just thought I'd ask for some advice as I'm buying a new video card on Friday.

I have a Core i7 870, 4GB DDR3 and a 30" HP ld3065 but not many benchmarks cover 2560x1600 so I can't decided between a GTX 570 or a HD6970.

As ever it looks like some games run better on Team Red and some run better on Team Green.

Will the 1.2GB of VRAM on the GTX 570 put the card at a disadvantage compared to the 2GB of VRAM on the 6970?

I was leaning more towards the 6970, but a mate of mine is running 2 570s in SLI @ 3420x1920 and he has no issues with VRAM.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

Banned
jambo said:
Just thought I'd ask for some advice as I'm buying a new video card on Friday.

I have a Core i7 870, 4GB DDR3 and a 30" HP ld3065 but not many benchmarks cover 2560x1600 so I can't decided between a GTX 570 or a HD6970.

As ever it looks like some games run better on Team Red and some run better on Team Green.

Will the 1.2GB of VRAM on the GTX 570 put the card at a disadvantage compared to the 2GB of VRAM on the 6970?

I was leaning more towards the 6970, but a mate of mine is running 2 570s in SLI @ 3420x1920 and he has no issues with VRAM.

Thanks in advance.
For most games in 2560x1600 the 570 is OK. However, when using more than 4xMSAA, SSAA or High Res mods, VRAM can be an issue. There are also a few notoriously VRAM hungry games like GTA IV.

I would say the 570 is fine unless you are the kind of type that likes to use extreme amounts of AA.

jambo

I used to, but these days I normally have AA set to 1 or 2 or off all together.

When I'm running around shooting things I can't tell whether AA is on most of the time.

fushi

In case anyone else is in the market for a cheaper SSD, I found this review to be fairly helpful:

http://www.storagereview.com/ocz_vertex_2_review_120gb

... mostly in determining that SSDs with the same Sandforce controller perform on a very similar level.

The cheapest one in my area is a OCZ Vertex 2 60GB for 107 euros. I don't think I'll find use for a 120/128 GB model.

knitoe

Wondering if I should just buy the Gigabyte P67A UD4. Motherboard doesn't seem to matter much anymore with 2500K or 2600K CPUs. Or, should I just wait for Asus P67 deluxe or Sabertooth?

Frostburn

DennisK4 said:
The IQ on a 30" 2560 x 1600 is really good. With 2xAA or 4xAA most games have very little jaggedness to my eyes.

How close do you sit to your monitor? Do you have a pic of your gaming rig setup? Just wondering what a 30" monitor would look like for gaming. For my setup on my desk I sit about 1' away from my Dell 2209WA which only runs at 1680x1050. I'm worried a 30" monitor would be too big but I'm thinking about upgrading soon after building out my new Intel SB computer.

Current specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 at 3.4GHz
Asus P5B Motherboard
4GB DDR2
Nvidia GTX 275
Windows 7 64-bit
Dell 2209WA monitor

Also, think it is worth going with the i7 2600k for my upgrade or sticking with the i5 2500k? I don't think I can hold out for the "Premium" i7s coming out later this year... or should I?

jambo

I sit about arms length from my 30" and you can never have too big a screen. It fills up all of your vision and it is glorious.

I got the GTX 570, if it's lacking at all I'll just get a new PSU and a second 570 :lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Posted? The specs for AMD's 6970M released today. Hmm...

960 Stream Processing Units
48 Texture Units
128 Z/Stencil ROP Units
32 Color ROP Units
Engine clock speed: 580-680 MHz
Memory clock speed: 900 MHz
Memory bandwidth: 115.2 GB/sec

Oh look, the desktop 6850 is coming to gaming notebooks.

That plus Mobile Sandy Bridge running 3GHz on four cores... yum.

matmanx1

knitoe said:
Wondering if I should just buy the Gigabyte P67A UD4. Motherboard doesn't seem to matter much anymore with 2500K or 2600K CPUs. Or, should I just wait for Asus P67 deluxe or Sabertooth?

I went with the UD4. Superbiiz had it yesterday for $176 and I liked the look better than the Asus P67 boards although both seemed to have layouts that were pretty good. Yeah, aesthetics are important to me when it comes right down to it.

In general I prefer Asus parts as I've had alot of great luck with them over the years but this time around I've got a Gigabyte 6970 and a Gigabyte UD4 going in to the same system. I've got a friend who loves Gigabyte stuff and I know alot of folks have gotten good service from them so I'm not too worried about it at this point.

TheExodu5

Banned
Frostburn said:
How close do you sit to your monitor? Do you have a pic of your gaming rig setup? Just wondering what a 30" monitor would look like for gaming. For my setup on my desk I sit about 1' away from my Dell 2209WA which only runs at 1680x1050. I'm worried a 30" monitor would be too big but I'm thinking about upgrading soon after building out my new Intel SB computer.

Current specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 at 3.4GHz
Asus P5B Motherboard
4GB DDR2
Nvidia GTX 275
Windows 7 64-bit
Dell 2209WA monitor

Also, think it is worth going with the i7 2600k for my upgrade or sticking with the i5 2500k? I don't think I can hold out for the "Premium" i7s coming out later this year... or should I?

Not a monitor, but a 32" 1080p TV. Perfect size at this distance. Could never go back.

tv.jpg

Obviously IQ won't be as nice as a 30" monitor, but it does have its upsides:

- easy to connect consoles and HD devices
- sound
- easier to run, in terms of graphics performance
- much cheaper

Frostburn

TheExodu5 said:
Not a monitor, but a 32" 1080p TV. Perfect size at this distance. Could never go back.

SEXY DISPLAY

Obviously IQ won't be as nice as a 30" monitor, but it does have its upsides:

- easy to connect consoles and HD devices
- sound
- easier to run, in terms of graphics performance
- much cheaper

That looks glorious, I love the IQ and color of my current monitor so I'll have to do some research on what would be best for the money, too bad I don't have a PC rig able to push a 30" monitor now... one thing at a time, 2011 is going to be fun.

JaseMath

Just got my new components ordered - my new rig for designing. Might push for 12GB of RAM depending on the cost.

Asus M4A77T - AMD 770 chipset
AMD Athlon II X4 640 CPU
8GB DDR3-1600
ATI Radeon HD 5670 (1GB)
500 GB HARD DRIVE
24X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW

AkIRA_22

-viper- said:

x-rw-80mm-large.jpg

Those four black bars on the other side of the fan in the picture are on the OUTPUT. Hope that helps you.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
asdfasdfasdfagaha
Can't decide on a motherboard yet.

Need user infos. Need amazon to carry CPUs and ASUS boards. Ahhhhhhhhhhh

IrishNinja

IrishNinja said:
ok, so...something's up.
shutdown/error screen happened again; whilst browsing, downloading on steam, playing planescape: torment in one window, winamp etc, the comp shuts down again, and i notice it's fairly hot at the top (again, lack of fan up there can't be helping). BIOS goes to a checksum error screen, and i select "LAST KNOWN GOOD" or something like that, and everything's ok. am i experiencing heat issues, or is it possible the hardware's been damaged? im assuming these shutdowns are to prevent just that, but seeing as this happened yesterday while running prime95 + realtemp test (and i dont recall the #'s being higher than right under 80, at least a bit before the shutoff?), im assuming this is due to my poor cooling. again, i really am trying to make a priority of finding a good cooler that fits my SG07 and still allows that apparently awesome AP181 fan block, its just taking ab it of research (feist, your 2nd link is good, might sign up there to ask this...first one's in french, though :lol )

crap, i think i have a problem.

so tonight, same deal: im playing planescape (via steam) and go to exit out...and something clicks in my pc, and it shuts down. a few minutes later, after unplugging & re-plugging it into a surge protector, it starts up, but says somethings bad with the BIOS/CHECKSUM error and its gonna load a backup - which it does, resets a bit in doing so, now it's stable again.

is this more than just a heat issue? when the shutdown happened, i wasn't doing anything too intensive for the system (firefox, winamp, steam, again exiting planescape) and again while i still havent yet resolved the heat issue, i dont think it was that hot touching the top of the system; when this happened in my previous post up there, temps werent even at 80, i wanna say...what could be the cause of this?

TL;DR - i think Ravel is fucking my new gaming rig up, pretty sure it's gonna explode when i get mazed.

koji

Does your RAM feel hot to the touch? How about the Northbridge? CPU temp isn't the only thing that's supposed to be in check. :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
check your motherboard heatsinks
check if your RAM is seated correctly
triple check your power connections to see if they are secure
What is your power supply? Are the voltages in spec?
Some kind of process that might trigger it?

If something is clicking.... I say check your HD's.

THat's what finally broke on PC.

I gave it a transplant, but Sandy bridge is making me upgrade.

IrishNinja

Hazaro said:
check your motherboard heatsinks
check if your RAM is seated correctly
triple check your power connections to see if they are secure
What is your power supply? Are the voltages in spec?
Some kind of process that might trigger it?

2vl62rb.jpg

^^taken a few minutes prior. i had a friend open it up recently so ill check to make sure everything's where its supposed to be, but he didnt take too much out, i wanna say.
power supply is the custom 600w unit that comes with an SG07, ill check the power connections again - is it in anyway telling that my system wouldn't start back up for a few minutes, but then after i unplugged/replugged into this surge protector, it started fine?

as for processes...again, i was just exiting planescape torment (it often crashes when doing so, here in win7, no idea why - im reinstalling/repatching it now), and i fear it may've corrupted some of my saves as well, so i guess that's possible, too. :/ thoughts?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I should be doing hw said:
Anyone here have any experience with an Antec 183? I can't stop looking at it, I'm taken by its beauty.
It's good.
The Bookerman said:
If something is clicking.... I say check your HD's.
That's what finally broke on PC.
I gave it a transplant, but Sandy bridge is making me upgrade.
Yeah That's what first went off in my head, but it could just be the HDD parking or something.
Run some vendor diagnostics on that as well.

Ashhong

AkIRA_22 said:
-viper- said:

x-rw-80mm-large.jpg

Those four black bars on the other side of the fan in the picture are on the OUTPUT. Hope that helps you.

There should be arrows on the fan somewhere. You just have to make those arrows point into the case

It's as if guys are trying to start a meme with this fan thing.

IrishNinja said:
hazaro - nothing stood out from the screencap? also, could you elaborate on HDD parking/vendor diagnostics?
They're asking if you can hear any odd noise from your HDD (clicking mainly, but even any whine noises).

The only things that immediately jumps out are the same things I mentioned before: that cooling solution is doing an awful job as your CPU isn't even running at full speed. Did they by any chance include the Intel boxed cooler so that you can switch to that instead? It's that bad.

What's really concerning is what TMPIN0 is. Of those three readings there, you should have CPU, Aux and System. I'm almost certain that TMPIN2 is your CPU, which means that TMPIN0 could be a big problem, because it doesn't seem to be your GPU. Did you watch your friend as he toiled about inside your case? He could have potentially knocked something out of place.

Do you have a small 40mm or 60mm fan? Or something like the Antec SpotCool? You should check on the heatsink located between the SATA ports and the 4-pin power connector. Make sure it's firmly in place. if you do have a fan, try placing one to blow onto it. As for your GPU, which exact model do you have?

One more thing. Have you tried calling CyberPower's customer service? Take a look at whatever documentation they included with the PC to make sure if it states if any of your actions would void the warranty.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
IrishNinja said:
hazaro - nothing stood out from the screencap? also, could you elaborate on HDD parking/vendor diagnostics?
you could manually check your 12V rail and put a fan on your HDD/NB

Wallach

I would immediately suspect a PSU if your temps are fairly in line and your system is straight up powering off and not just rebooting or crashing.

IrishNinja

·feist· said:
They're asking if you can hear any odd noise from your HDD (clicking mainly, but even any whine noises).

ah, right - no, not really. some nights id hear an occasional click, which i just wrote off to accessing stuff, as it wasnt frequent and before the shutdown earlier, it never corresponded to any action. otherwise, there's no audible sound.

The only things that immediately jumps out are the same things I mentioned before: that cooling solution is doing an awful job as your CPU isn't even running at full speed. Did they by any chance include the Intel boxed cooler so that you can switch to that instead? It's that bad.

damn...what ive got is the fan block that initially came with/sat right below the top of the case. i'm tempted to swap the liquid cooling out for that just to see what my temps look like with it; from what i saw, again, a big part of the problem is that the case's size means the radiator sits right above the cooling unit, and the fan atop it doesnt seem very powerful, so im concerned all the hot air is just building in there.
the link you provided had people with other liquid cooling kits that said they'd mounted the fan along with it, but im not seeing the space for both with my setup.

What's really concerning is what TMPIN0 is. Of those three readings there, you should have CPU, Aux and System. I'm almost certain that TMPIN2 is your CPU, which means that TMPIN0 could be a big problem, because it doesn't seem to be your GPU. Did you watch your friend as he toiled about inside your case? He could have potentially knocked something out of place.

is there perhaps another program i could run that would be clearer on its values? ive got speedfan and the other one i was told to install on this thread.
per your last sentence - ill open it up (on another computer right now) later today and double check all the connections, cant hurt.

Do you have a small 40mm or 60mm fan? Or something like the Antec SpotCool? You should check on the heatsink located between the SATA ports and the 4-pin power connector. Make sure it's firmly in place. if you do have a fan, try placing one to blow onto it. As for your GPU, which exact model do you have?

unfortunately, i don't have any of those, just the fan that came with the case (which again, apparently reviewed well), and some thermal paste which ill look to add in for good measure. ill check the heatsink you mentioned here.
the GPU is an ATI 6870 with the latest drivers, if you need anything past that ill get back to you when its open later today.

One more thing. Have you tried calling CyberPower's customer service? Take a look at whatever documentation they included with the PC to make sure if it states if any of your actions would void the warranty.

i had before, but they weren't overly useful. ill have to ask for some advanced help if anything, its a great system but since their site advertised a barrage of tests prior to shipping, i'm kindve disappointed a torture test didn't seem to be one of them, unless they thought temps in the mid 80s were acceptable somehow.
do you mean as far as replacing the cooling kit? i hadnt thought of that as a potential void, ill check the info they provided first to make sure though, appreciate the heads-up, even if its gotta happen anyway.

hazaro - space is pretty tight...im gonna take pics of the innards today as well and see if you guys see room for that kinda thing that i might not.

Wallach said:
I would immediately suspect a PSU if your temps are fairly in line and your system is straight up powering off and not just rebooting or crashing.

yeah, i could see that...but the temps really aren't in line, is the thing. i cant rule the PSU out, i suppose, but it does strike me as less likely.

Wallach

I don't mean "in line" as in "good", but what I see is some pretty bad airflow (high ambient temps), not temperatures that would actually cause big problems. Playing Planescape certainly wasn't stressing your system either.

Omiee

Felix Lighter said:
Didn't you just upgrade to the 470 not too long ago? You do the things I have to force myself not to do.

yeah i went from a 5770 i bought in april to a 470 i bought 2 months ago, but i cant resist not upgrading you know.
this time i just wanna upgrade one time and stick with it for at least a year, so i think im going for a 570 with a second 570 in april or something.
or is the 6970 more powerfull than the 570 cuz they are the same price here.

jambo

Every game I'm throwing at the new GTX 570 is running perfectly.

I tried Mafia 2, Borderlands, BFBC2 and STALKER: CoP and they all ran great maxed out.

The cars in Mafia 2 look amazing, BFBC2 is incredibly smooth and pretty, STALKER blew me away when I was using my flashlight and I can now run Borderlands with shadows and everything else turned on.

The jump from 4870x2 (CF disabled so 4850) to GTX 570 is huge. Downloading Crysis on Steam atm so I can really work the new card!

AkIRA_22

·feist· said:

Have you got a model number for that BD drive? I've been looking for a white DVD/BD drive since I got my white P180 mini in April.

EDIT Don't worry, 2 seconds worth of detective work and I got it from the image URL.

-viper-

Banned
I installed my case fans properly (the arrow was pointing towards the case for the front and side fans), and my PC is still like a fucking oven :|

BHPwg.jpg

is it my case? it's a thermaltake tsunami case.

the CPU looks far too hot, no?

Mr_Brit

Banned
-viper- said:
I installed my case fans properly (the arrow was pointing towards the case for the front and side fans), and my PC is still like a fucking oven :|

http://i.imgur.com/BHPwg.jpg[ /IMG]

is it my case? it's a thermaltake tsunami case.[/QUOTE]
Is your heatsink on properly? That temperature is waayyyyyyyy too high if you're just idling in Windows.

It's probably a loose heatsink as your motherboard temperatures look decent. Make sure the heatsink is on properly, check if you removed the heatsink stickers and applied thermal gel as well.

-viper-

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Is your heatsink on properly? That temperature is waayyyyyyyy too high if you're just idling in Windows.

It's probably a loose heatsink as your motherboard temperatures look decent. Make sure the heatsink is on properly, check if you removed the heatsink stickers and applied thermal gel as well.
Do the other temperatures look fine? Is 32 degrees for the hard drive high or low? How about 35 for the motherboard? (edit:. didn't read your post properly. saw that you mentioned that already)

I'm not sure - It's the stock Intel cooler. I've had it on for four years without any issues but recently it's just SHOT UP. It used to idle at about 40-45.

I have ordered an Arctic Freezer CPU Cooler and I'll see if that makes any difference with regards to the temp.

Also, I'm wondering how do I set my case fan speed to 100%? If I plug them directly to the PSU power cable, are they by default running at full speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom