• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally bought more HDD space the other day, 500GB drive for about £35 including some sata cable and psu conversion plug (turns out I didn't need the last part but it was only a quid)

Nice having that extra space as a 2nd drive after like 2 years of being on a 240GB only.

mkenyon

Banned
element said:
I pulled the trigger today on a new CPU, Mobo, and RAM

i2500k
MSI P67A-C43
4 x 4GB G.SKILL 10666

Replaces my E7300 (oc'ed to 3.4GHz) with 4 GB of RAM.

Keeping my HDD and 460 GTX 1 GB. Should be a nice upgrade.

Thanks Newegg for the two $25.00 coupons today. I think I got a good deal for $454.94 total with shipping.

Next up is getting an SSD and consolidating my HDDs to larger ones (2 x 2TB). I have four drives in my machine currently.
*high five*

Great rig there.

element

mkenyon said:
*high five*

Great rig there.
I'm pretty excited! Gaming perf was acceptable, but not great, but video stuff was starting to get really painful after buying my Canon 60D and using files right from the camera. After the After Effects CS5.5 demo I knew it was time. 16 GB will really help and the extra speed should be awesome. I should see double to triple the perf, more if I OC it.

Hero

Alright. I've decided to go for a 560 ti since Newegg is having a 25 off first customers until midnight tonight.

What brand should I get?

Sparkle? Galaxy? Gigabyte? PNY? EVGA? ASUS? MSi?

Okay PC-GAF, help me out. I just finished my 2500K/6950 2GB build. Finally got a steam game all the way downloaded -- Far Cry 2. I cried manly tears of joy as I maxed everything out to ultra @ 1920x1200 and my GPU never flinched from 60fps. I played about 30 minutes and got into areas+combat with plenty going on on-screen.

That was earlier this evening. The second time I played, a few minutes ago, I immediately noticed some frame drops. Fraps shows the frame rate veering wildly and often dropping into the 30s and 40s for sustained periods. I checked, and FC2 had actually adjusted some of my sliders down. It was still on dx10, same resolution, 8xAA that it was rocking so easily before.

I rebooted, tried again -- same issues. I know I did not hallucinate the first time. This site shows benchmarks for the 6950 2GB at that resolution never dropping below 55 fps.

My CPUs are currently idling between 21 and 28 degrees. GPU, around 44. What the hell??

ithorien

catapult37 said:
Okay PC-GAF, help me out. I just finished my 2500K/6950 2GB build. Finally got a steam game all the way downloaded -- Far Cry 2. I cried manly tears of joy as I maxed everything out to ultra @ 1920x1200 and my GPU never flinched from 60fps. I played about 30 minutes and got into areas+combat with plenty going on on-screen.

That was earlier this evening. The second time I played, a few minutes ago, I immediately noticed some frame drops. Fraps shows the frame rate veering wildly and often dropping into the 30s and 40s for sustained periods. I checked, and FC2 had actually adjusted some of my sliders down. It was still on dx10, same resolution, 8xAA that it was rocking so easily before.

I rebooted, tried again -- same issues. I know I did not hallucinate the first time. This site shows benchmarks for the 6950 2GB at that resolution never dropping below 55 fps.

My CPUs are currently idling between 21 and 28 degrees. GPU, around 44. What the hell??

Nothing's changed? Nothing running in the background that you know of? There's absolutely no reason that should be happening. I think you have ghosts.

Alright then. Newegg 10% off SSD's + Vertex 3 240gb in stock = justification for this baller. Ordered.

God damn. Total PC price is pushing $2200 now, but every component I have is essentially top of the line. The only things I really "skimped" on were the audio card (not much of an audiophile, the Xonar DG will be fine for me) and the GPU. Even then, the GTX570 isn't exactly a chump.

This is going to be fucking sweet.

Of course I didn't count my new IPS monitor into the price (Dell U2410). I'm thinking I might return that and just use my 32" Bravia. I'm already using a PC desk/thing as my entertainment center and the TV fits in there perfectly. Having a 32" display is appealing, especially since the resolution is still just 1080p so my framerates will still be good. Decisions decisions...

ithorien said:
Nothing's changed? Nothing running in the background that you know of? There's absolutely no reason that should be happening. I think you have ghosts.

Nothing changed as far as I'm aware. I used steam to update the drivers yesterday, so well before both the "good" and "bad" instances. I watched about an hour of Hulu shows in between sessions. I had a few other things running, HW Monitor, fraps (which was open the first time), and a firefox window. Nothing that would consume any significant resources, and like I said, I rebooted too. Third attempt, also bad.

My only theory is that it got too hot during the first session and something happened...?

Stantron

Alright. This will be the first time I build a new PC from scratch. I'm kinda nervous about it, but let's do this.
I'd appreciate some feedback on this build I've been slowly puting together over the last couple weeks of lurking this thread.

Basic Desktop Questions
Your Current Specs: 6+ years old; AMD Athlon 3400+, 500GB HDD, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon X800Pro, WinXP, lol.
Budget: Enough for a solid build, since I don't plan upgrading for a few years. US.
Main Use: Gaming(BF3), some video editing, photoshop/painter, general usage (word, web, 1080p playback)
Monitor Resolution: 24" 1920x1200
Are reusing any parts?: Just my mouse.
When will you build?: Ready to order parts.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes. Once I build my system, I hope to ask for advice on this.

$109 Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case
$183 PS: CORSAIR Professional Series AX850 850W
$180 MB: ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
$315 CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core
$90 Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
$150 RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
$480 GPU: EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5
$308 SSD: Intel 320 Series 2.5" 160GB SATA II MLC (SSD) - OEM (already bought)
$65 HDD: SAMSUNG F3 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal
$110 Drive: LG Black Super Multi SATA WH12LS30 LightScribe BluRay Burner - OEM
$30 Sound: ASUS XONAR_DG 5.1 Channels PCI Interface Xonar DG Sound Card
$100 OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
$64 KB: Logitech 920-000914 Black USB Wired Ultra-thin Illuminated Keyboard

Total = $2,364 A bit high, but I think I'm cool with this.

scogoth

kpx0 said:
whats the most powerful single molexPCIe Power Plug video card?

radeon 6850? geforce ti550?

550ti got some pretty mediocre reviews. I would go 6850. Why only single PCIe Power?

Edit: Searched around only options are 6850 or a Galaxy 460 Green edition. I'd still stick with the 6850 though.

scogoth

Stantron said:
Alright. This will be the first time I build a new PC from scratch. I'm kinda nervous about it, but let's do this.
I'd appreciate some feedback on this build I've been slowly puting together over the last couple weeks of lurking this thread.

Basic Desktop Questions
Your Current Specs: 6+ years old; AMD Athlon 3400+, 500GB HDD, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon X800Pro, WinXP, lol.
Budget: Enough for a solid build, since I don't plan upgrading for a few years. US.
Main Use: Gaming(BF3), some video editing, photoshop/painter, general usage (word, web, 1080p playback)
Will you be overclocking?: Yes. Once I build my system, I hope to ask for advise on this.

$180 MB: ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
$315 CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core
$150 RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
$480 GPU: EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5
$170 HDD: Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
$100 OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Looks great, you can save a little with the 2500K over 2600K difference being some more L3 cache and hyper threading, if its only a gaming machine then there won't be a difference.

Exodu5 will recommend the ASUS DirectCU 580 as its cooler and quieter then the reference cooler on EVGA but its 3 slots not 2 slots. I like EVGA, great company, great service, lifetime warranty, just want to let you know of your options.

Stantron

I'm going 2600k because I want to start getting into video editing.
I've been waffling between EVGA and Asus DirectCU for the gtx580. Might have to sleep a little more on it.

eznark

Banned
Just installed the new memory sticks. Ran memtest for 20 minutes (the blend one) no problems. Passed the first round (highest speed of 57).

So, gonna play some Crysis 2 to see if it passes that and then...on to 4.0 OC!

Stantron said:

Basic Desktop Questions
Will you be overclocking?: Yes. Once I build my system, I hope to ask for advice on this.

Nice, that build is almost a carbon copy of mine. The only differences are the optical drive, SSD, and GPU (I went with DirectCU 570). I'm pumped to get this rig running.

Don't feel bad about spending over $2k... up until very recently that's how much power cost. Now spending over $2k is almost excessive. Life is good.

Kevin

Is anyone actually selling the Geforce GTX 590? I've been trying to get one for like a month now and everyone is constantly out of stock. About to give up here soon.

eznark said:
Just installed the new memory sticks. Ran memtest for 20 minutes (the blend one) no problems. Passed the first round (highest speed of 57).

So, gonna play some Crysis 2 to see if it passes that and then...on to 4.0 OC!
Good to hear. Hopefully it stays stable.

Stantron

Baller said:
Nice, that build is almost a carbon copy of mine. The only differences are the optical drive, SSD, and GPU (I went with DirectCU 570). I'm pumped to get this rig running.

Don't feel bad about spending over $2k... up until very recently that's how much power cost. Now spending over $2k is almost excessive. Life is good.
Ha. Yeah, I was actually using your build as a template, and turns out most of the stuff stayed the same. I was going to go with the FT02 case but that thing is huge and heavy, I'll stick with something a bit more simplistic this time. The AX850 is only a little bit more than the AX750, so no reason to skimp on that. I wanted reliability above all else for the SSD so I went with Intel's 320, got a great deal on that. I was gonna get a 2TB mass drive but by the time I fill the 1TB samsung, there will likely be better drives on the market. The GTX570 is probably enough for me, but I figured if I'm already going big, might as well get the 580 for a bit more. This thing is gonna be a beast.

scogoth

Kevin said:
Is anyone actually selling the Geforce GTX 590? I've been trying to get one for like a month now and everyone is constantly out of stock. About to give up here soon.

Extreme high price, low volume product, not to mention only 2 NA manufacturers. It'll take awhile for the retail channels to get them in good supply. Why exactly do you want to buy it? 2 570s is cheaper and better performing.

eznark

Banned
Wow is overclocking ridiculously easy. Just changed the multiplier and boom...4.33

Ran Prime for like 20, highs of 58/67/64/63 anything I need to look out for?

scogoth

eznark said:
Wow is overclocking ridiculously easy. Just changed the multiplier and boom...4.33

Ran Prime for like 20, highs of 58/67/64/63 anything I need to look out for?

Yeah thats sandy bridge unlocked processors for you. BLCK overclocking has a ton more variables to consider.

Hawk269

Stantron said:

Basic Desktop Questions

Nice build man. A little expensive, but you get what you pay for when you go that big. My build is not too far off of yours, I have no SSD, but I have dual EVGA 580's running! :)

Anyways, dont be nervous about building. My rig, which is alot like your was my first ever build and it went very smooth and easy. I did watch the video on the first page, the long one where they build a rig, it was nice cause they used alot of the same parts (not all of them) but enough to where I felt comfortable in doing what they did. I beleive the case they use is the one you have listed.

The other thing for me was cable management, it took a while, but I think I did a pretty good job in the end. I still need to post pics.

Personally, I would stick with EVGA as the service and warranty (remember to register) is really great. Alot of the folks that work for them are active in the EVGA forums as well and they are very supportive.

I did wish I took pictures as the stuff arrived and then that nice picture of all the parts together on a table...even though I built mine a few weeks ago, I want to build another one!!! lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Stantron said:
Ha. Yeah, I was actually using your build as a template, and turns out most of the stuff stayed the same. I was going to go with the FT02 case but that thing is huge and heavy, I'll stick with something a bit more simplistic this time. The AX850 is only a little bit more than the AX750, so no reason to skimp on that. I wanted reliability above all else for the SSD so I went with Intel's 320, got a great deal on that. I was gonna get a 2TB mass drive but by the time I fill the 1TB samsung, there will likely be better drives on the market. The GTX570 is probably enough for me, but I figured if I'm already going big, might as well get the 580 for a bit more. This thing is gonna be a beast.

I'd probably check out the Asus DirectCu II GTX 580. You got the Noctua and Fractal so you appear to be going for a quiet build. The Asus card is three slots wide, as it has a much better cooler.

Hawk269

Kevin said:

EVGA has them at odd times. A day or so ago they had the Vanilla 590's on their site for a few hours, then a few days eariler they had the water cooled versions available. It is hit and miss, but I would register at EVGA's site, hit hte "notify me" and they will email you when they are available...you just have to be quick cause they go fast.

But I agree with the other poster about going with dual 570's would be about the same price and more powerfull than one 590. Unless you have a need to want to go quad SLI in the future?

Hawk269

TheExodu5 said:
I'd probably check out the Asus DirectCu II GTX 580. You got the Noctua and Fractal so you appear to be going for a quiet build. The Asus card is three slots wide, as it has a much better cooler.

MSI just released a new 580 card as well and by the reviews I read it runs very cool as well. Just another option for you to review. I beleive it is also a 3 slot card as well.

Stantron

Ok, let's see. If I go with the (ASUS P8P67 PRO and) Asus DirectCu II GTX 580 (3 slots), then the card gets inserted into the top PCI exp 2.0 slot and covers one PCIe and one PCI slot below it. Left over is a single PCIe above the card, and one PCI slot (which will be occupied by the Asus sound card) and two PCI exp 2.0 slots below the card. I guess that's cool. I can't think of what else I would instal besides going SLI in the future, which would conflict with the sound card. Hmm.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
What's the best way to do your own shipping in USA when you need to RMA a computer part?

I need to replace my Razer Naga mouse.

Would it being insured and having a delivery confirmation protect me from lost packages?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Not sure if the right place to ask this is here.

My Compaq 615 laptop suddenly refused to work this morning.
It has worked perfectly the past year and no major changes has been made as of lately.

What happens :

I press the powerbutton, the fans start and keep going. No post, no screen at all. Not even greyscreen but the screen is totally black/off.

The buttons won't respond, like switching capslock on and off to see if the capslock led changes.

I've taken out the battery to see if this resets the cmos ( is that even how you do it? )

Any ideas?

Corky

Kyaw said:
Isn't CMOS inside on the mobo?
Sounds like it's dead to me but i'm not so good with laptop stuff.

Yeah I think it's on the inside, don't know why I thought that.
Sigh I guess it's dead, and the warranty is over so 500$ down the drain. All that schoolwork aswell, nice.

Can I somehow salvage the HDD and use it in a way that I can transfer important stuff from it to my desktop? ( unless the HDD itself is damaged which seems unlikely since the thing won't even start )

What a great way to start the weekend :)

Kyaw

There must be a way of salvaging the HDD, even remove it completely and plug it into your main PC using some adapters.

Maybe Portal 2 will release during the weekend. *maybe* [at this rate, not happening though :( ]

n0n44m

just unscrew the HDD and plug it in, it's all SATA these days so no power/data cable adapters needed

fucking laptops man, crazy expensive and always break down 2 months after your warranty ends (unless you buy extra but that's even more expensive) ... I'm only buying netbooks+SSD in the future lol

Corky

I'm now convinced that openheart surgery is childsplay compared to opening this laptop and reaching the cmos battery.

I took out the HDD ( which is sata as stated above ) so the data is salvagable I guess. Now to smash the piece of SHIT TO PIECES! Been waiting for this.

Roarer

Corky said:
I took out the HDD ( which is sata as stated above ) so the data is salvagable I guess. Now to smash the piece of SHIT TO PIECES! Been waiting for this.

If I wasn't such an eco-fag I'd do this to all of my old hardware. Especially that huge ass 32" widescreen CRT that weighed a ton and caused such back-aches whenever I moved places...

Kyaw

Corky said:
I'm now convinced that openheart surgery is childsplay compared to opening this laptop and reaching the cmos battery.

Post pics of smashed laptop. But take out the RAM from the laptop before smashing it.

irishcow

Guys I just put together my new system and have begun overclocking my 2500k. I have it running prime95 right now at 1.38volts 4.8ghz. Is 1.38 volts too high for these chips 24/7? Load temps are max between 59 and 67 on all four cores. It's using voltage offset so it drops when idle. Thanks!

eznark

Banned
Ok, so the rig is running great, over clocked enough for now, and all my standard stuff is installed. Thanks for all the help. When I get home, it's time to work on Steam. I had it installed on my 2tb drive on my old pc, and I just took that drive out and put it into the new one. (it wa not the system drive on the old pc). I forgot to move over all the save files though so I still need to do that, and for whatever reason I could not get Shogun 2 to load. Are there files that install on the system drive (even if steam is not on that drive) that I somehow need? Should I just uninstal/reinstall games that don't work?

irishcow said:
Guys I just put together my new system and have begun overclocking my 2500k. I have it running prime95 right now at 1.38volts 4.8ghz. Is 1.38 volts too high for these chips 24/7? Load temps are max between 59 and 67 on all four cores. It's using voltage offset so it drops when idle. Thanks!

I've read 1.38v is the absolute maximum you want to go with SB for 24/7.

TheExodu5

Banned
irishcow said:

That's perfectly fine.

knitoe

irishcow said:
I would recommend staying under 1.35V. And, those temps are great for that amount of voltage. What cooler setup are you running? Are you getting those numbers from running Prime95 and HWmonitor?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
DeathNote said:
What's the best way to do your own shipping in USA when you need to RMA a computer part?

I need to replace my Razer Naga mouse.

Would it being insured and having a delivery confirmation protect me from lost packages?
Anyone?

I figured discussing the best way to ship something you RMA would work with this thread and be helpful. I never had to with anyway.

Computer parts have nice warranties, if something defects you're gonna want a safeshipment without breaking the bank.

dekjo

Hazaro said:
Toyed with the OP a bit.

Many thanks to MedIC86
Thanks Hazaro and MedIC86. It's nice to finally have a "Need a PC" thread with an OP that's maintained. Seems like the ones from the last few years hardly got touched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom