• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoandGeo

Banned
I just clean the old thermal paste off with the 91%, get a cotton swab and wait until I am rubbing it completely dry, and then reapply. I've never waited more than a couple of minutes.

SaintR

Kintaro said:
I ordered the HIS version of that video card....any difference that I should be aware of.
Also if you guys don't mind giving me some advice on wireless keyboard and mouse combo. style plays a part as well because it's going to be connected in the living room.

TheFatOne

I'm looking for a motherboard for around $150. Is the ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.0) a good board? The ASUS P8P67 PRO is only $30. Would I be better off getting the ASUS P8P67 PRO? This is my build so far. I have two 1TB HDD already.

Fractal Define R3
CORSAIR 750WPSU
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB
Intel Core i5-2500K
Hyper 212 Plus
OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD 64GB
XFX 6950(Already have it)

I want to OC my i5 2500k, but I'm worried about temperature in the summer. I also want to add some fans to the fractal define r3. Can someone recommend me some quite fans for about $10-$12.

Starbeh

Neo Member
GAF! Help! I have pretty much no idea what i'm doing, so feel free to mock and/or ridicule!

I'll be ordering a new computer tomorrow, and this is what i'm currently looking at:

Asus P8P67 PRO REV B3

2TB Western Digital Caviar Green

Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) 1600MHz XMS3

Intel Core i7 2600K 3,4GHz

120GB SSD OCZ Vertex3

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 1536MB

Lian Li PC-X900B

Corsair AX 750W 80+ GOLD

Samsung SH-S223C 22X DL

Does it fit? Have i forgotten anything? Should i replace anything? Etc etc..

It's the first serious purchase so i'll probably do some overclocking in order to learn, and it seems like fun. No crazy stuff though.

Mainly for games, along with some streaming of HD stuff and whatnot.

EricHasNoPull said:
Can I OC the ATI Radeon HD 6870 1GB GPU?

if yes, what are the benefits?

Yes, you'll get maybe 5%-10% better performance doing so. Check out the "Overdrive" tab in the ATI CCC. If you're totally new at this, there's even an "auto-overclock" tool that ups your clockspeeds until your card can't take anymore, it's not the best way, but it seems to work fine.

MedIC86

Starbeh said:
GAF! Help! I have pretty much no idea what i'm doing, so feel free to mock and/or ridicule!

I'll be ordering a new computer tomorrow, and this is what i'm currently looking at:

Asus P8P67 PRO REV B3

120GB SSD OCZ Vertex3

Lian Li PC-X900B

Corsair AX 750W 80+ GOLD

Samsung SH-S223C 22X DL

It's the first serious purchase so i'll probably do some overclocking in order to learn, and it seems like fun. No crazy stuff though.

amagawd nice setup $$ enjoy, looks good :)

Wazzim

Banned
Starbeh said:

Asus P8P67 PRO REV B3

120GB SSD OCZ Vertex3

Lian Li PC-X900B

Corsair AX 750W 80+ GOLD

Samsung SH-S223C 22X DL

You might change the CPU to a 2500k, I think it performs a bit better in games than the 2600k. That's gonna be a very nice build either way though!

EricHasNoPull said:
Can I OC the ATI Radeon HD 6870 1GB GPU?

if yes, what are the benefits?
Yes, you get better performance in games.

NeoandGeo

Banned
Yea, get the 2500k unless you will have any use for hyperthreading (heavy media encoding/3d work). You can turn it off in the BIOS, and get the same and slightly better performance in games over the 2500k, but leaving it enabled can hinder performance by a couple of percentage points.

Coldsnap

Anyone know how to get the fan off the Corsair A50? It's got some weird locking mechanism. I'm trying to replace the stock fan. So i gotta take the fan off the thing that locks onto the heatsink. I can take it off the heatsink fine but from there I dunno

rc213

Coldsnap said:
Anyone know how to get the fan off the Corsair A50? It's got some weird locking mechanism. I'm trying to replace the stock fan. So i gotta take the fan off the thing that locks onto the heatsink. I can take it off the heatsink fine but from there I dunno

That's a great heatsink with PWM fan slapped on it. I have one and the fan spins at 700rpm under regular web surfing. /silence

I'm looking to replace my 8800GT with a GTX 460, but I apparently need a PSU with two PCIE 6pin power connectors. I had a look and it seems my PSU (not sure what make/model it is) has only one PCIE 6pin connector and one 8pin connector. I don't have a clue about this stuff, does that mean I can't install the card?

Coldsnap

My first build is done! My goal was to create a build that would run the game I play online, silent, cool, and under $900. I think I did just that. Special thanks to everyone who helped me out in this thread; also RentaHamster and Unknown Soldier with outside help.

-Intel i5 2500
-Asus GTX 460 1gig
-Asus P8H67
-Corsair 4gig RAM
-Corsair 750w
-Corsair A50 Heatsink w/ Scythe 800RPM fan
-Scythe 500RPM fan bottom vent
-Fractal Design R3

1z1fuyu.jpg

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Coldsnap said:
My first build is done! My goal was to create a build that would run the game I play online, silent, cool, and under $900. I think I did just that. Special thanks to everyone who helped me out in this thread; also RentaHampster and Unknown Soldier with outside help.
Congrats on completing your first custom build! And high-five for the 2500/GTX 460 combo, I'm using the same (though 2500k) in my current rig, seems like the bang for your buck CPU/GPU pair right now. =]

Coldsnap said:
My first build is done! My goal was to create a build that would run the game I play online, silent, cool, and under $900. I think I did just that. Special thanks to everyone who helped me out in this thread; also RentaHampster and Unknown Soldier with outside help.

-Intel i5 2500
-Asus GTX 460 1gig
-Asus P8H67
-Corsair 4gig RAM
-Corsair 750w
-Corsair A50 Heatsink w/ Scythe 800RPM fan
-Scythe 500RPM fan bottom vent
-Fractal Design R3

http://i56.tinypic.com/1z1fuyu.jpg

Looks nice and clean.

Congrats! :)

number1jagsfan said:
I'm looking to replace my 8800GT with a GTX 460, but I apparently need a PSU with two PCIE 6pin power connectors. I had a look and it seems my PSU (not sure what make/model it is) has only one PCIE 6pin connector and one 8pin connector. I don't have a clue about this stuff, does that mean I can't install the card?

Sorry for the bump, but I was doing some googling and it appears that some cards come with 4-pin to 6-pin power adaters. Is that what I need if my PSU doesn't have the connectors I need?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Forgot to ask. What is the best/popular cooler for the Core i7 2500k/2600ks? I've seen them several times but never caught the model/name.

element

Kintaro said:
Forgot to ask. What is the best/popular cooler for the Core i7 2500k/2600ks? I've seen them several times but never caught the model/name.
Unless you plan on OCing, the stock cooler is perfectly acceptable.

mkenyon

Banned
number1jagsfan said:
Sorry for the bump, but I was doing some googling and it appears that some cards come with 4-pin to 6-pin power adaters. Is that what I need if my PSU doesn't have the connectors I need?
Yeah, you'll be fine with those probably.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Kintaro said:
The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ gets a lot of love here - costs $30 or less and you can easily OC to 4.5GHz on one.

Cyrus365

Neo Member
So going back to my earlier post, and like others in similar situation, I've been flip flopping between GFX Cards right now:

Just want to play 1920 by 1080 on 1 monitor, at best setting as possible.

Anyone opinions or suggests on these 4 cards, and which one is the best:

MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr OC 880MHZ 1GB GDDR5
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127565

Price: 240.99

Zotac GeForce GTX 560 Ti 822MHZ 1GB GDDR5
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=58453&vpn=ZT-50301-10M&manufacture=Zotac&promoid=1317

Price: 239.99 plus 20 dollar rebate

HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161355

Price: 264.99

Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 800MHZ 2GB GDDR5
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=60346&vpn=11188-00-40R&manufacture=SAPPHIRE&promoid=1317

Price: 279.99 Plus 20 dollar us rebate

Are these two 6950 cards unlockable, been reading that there revisions possible, making it not unlockable, but also read people have been, so conflicting reports.

These prices are all in CDN, or if anyone got a better suggestion of a card at around 250 range +/- I'm all ears.

Thanks

knitoe

element said:
Unless you plan on OCing, the stock cooler is perfectly acceptable.
You wouldn't get the a K version unless it's for OCing.

212+ for best price / performance ratio.

Noctua NH-D14 for air performance.

knitoe

Cyrus365 said:
So going back to my earlier post, and like others in similar situation, I've been flip flopping between GFX Cards right now:

Just want to play 1920 by 1080 on 1 monitor, at best setting as possible.

Anyone opinions or suggests on these 4 cards, and which one is the best:

MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr OC 880MHZ 1GB GDDR5
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127565

Price: 240.99

Zotac GeForce GTX 560 Ti 822MHZ 1GB GDDR5
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=58453&vpn=ZT-50301-10M&manufacture=Zotac&promoid=1317

Price: 239.99 plus 20 dollar rebate

HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161355

Price: 264.99

Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 800MHZ 2GB GDDR5
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=60346&vpn=11188-00-40R&manufacture=SAPPHIRE&promoid=1317

Price: 279.99 Plus 20 dollar us rebate

Are these two 6950 cards unlockable, been reading that there revisions possible, making it not unlockable, but also read people have been, so conflicting reports.

These prices are all in CDN, or if anyone got a better suggestion of a card at around 250 range +/- I'm all ears.

Thanks
I would go 6950. You can unlock them to 6970 speeds which makes them faster. And, future games might use more than 1GB. And, out of the two 6950, I would go with HIS since it seems to be using the reference boards heatsink / fan => better chance of unlocking.

CrankyJay

Banned
My new build occasionally (maybe once every 1 hr) makes a loud clicking noise. I have no idea how to pinpoint it, but my wires are pretty clean in the case so I don't think it's a fan blade hitting anything.

My best guess is it's one or both of my F3 spinpoints not playing nicely with my p67 board. I understand there's a firmware update for this purpose.

How do I apply this? This says to make a bootable CD with the exe they provide, but whenever I get into the dos prompt and try to execute it, it complains it's not compatible with 64-bit.

edit: I got these drives in February/March so maybe they do have the latest firmware on them?

scogoth

CrankyJay said:
Should I be looking for 99% isopropyl alcohol for cleaning thermal paste off my cpu or will I be okay with 91%?

Its just cut down with distilled water so even with 50% just means you have to make sure its dry. 91% is just fine.

Zeliard

ExMachina said:
The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ gets a lot of love here - costs $30 or less and you can easily OC to 4.5GHz on one.

I'm sitting pretty at 4.8ghz with that sexy beast of a cooler.

It's massive, though. Make sure your case can support it.

Zeliard

Cat in the Hat said:
It's 120mm long fyi

I'm talking its height relative to your case's width. Hyper 212 height = 160 mm = 6.3 inches. People have had issues with getting it in there and then not being able to close their side panel because the thing is too tall.

Personally, it didn't leave much room to spare in my trusty ol' CM 690.

TheExodu5

Banned
Curufinwe said:
Any thoughts on the SteelSeries Siberia V2 Full-Size Gaming Headset? At Amazon the red version is $89.99, the black version is $82.95 and the white version is $74.99 so that seems like the one to get. They must be identical aside from the color.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SU4QQY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Tried it. Hated it.

If you're not very discerning, it seems fine. But for someone who appreciates a bit of a neutral sound, it sounded boomy and congested. Very small too...the band maxed out at the top of my head even though my head is not that large.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Coldsnap said:
Very nice.
CrankyJay said:
My new build occasionally (maybe once every 1 hr) makes a loud clicking noise. I have no idea how to pinpoint it, but my wires are pretty clean in the case so I don't think it's a fan blade hitting anything.

My best guess is it's one or both of my F3 spinpoints not playing nicely with my p67 board. I understand there's a firmware update for this purpose.

How do I apply this? This says to make a bootable CD with the exe they provide, but whenever I get into the dos prompt and try to execute it, it complains it's not compatible with 64-bit.

edit: I got these drives in February/March so maybe they do have the latest firmware on them?
It's the 2TB F4's. After December should be ok. F3's tmk are not affected.

Hawk269

Starbeh said:

Asus P8P67 PRO REV B3

120GB SSD OCZ Vertex3

Lian Li PC-X900B

Corsair AX 750W 80+ GOLD

Samsung SH-S223C 22X DL

#1) Yes, it will all fit together, rather nicely as well.
#2) Overclocking both the CPU and GPU is extremly easy. I have a 4.5 OC on my 2600k that took me about 2-3 min to do, 100% stable.
#3) My GPU (580 as well) is OC to 875 on the core. Again, about a few minutes of work and 100mhz higher than the stock speed.
#4) Do you plan in the future to go SLI at all? If so, I would bump up the PSU a little bit, you don't need a nuclear reactor, but maybe a bit more power especially if you are OC both card and CPU and adding SLI in the future.
#5) You are going to have such a kick as machine! Enjoy it man!

I built my first ever rig about 2 weeks ago and love it. If you need any help, just ask man, the folks here are really good at helping and troubleshooting.

Hawk269

NeoandGeo said:
Yea, get the 2500k unless you will have any use for hyperthreading (heavy media encoding/3d work). You can turn it off in the BIOS, and get the same and slightly better performance in games over the 2500k, but leaving it enabled can hinder performance by a couple of percentage points.

Would you mind going into more detail with what you said? I have a 2600k, it is overclocked to 4.5 on air. Are you saying that if I disable the hyper threading that I would get even better perofrmance with my games? Would turining it off effect the overclock or anything?

Thanks..first I am hearing about that the hyper threading can hinder game performance..but I a bit of a noob! lol

Curufinwe

TheExodu5 said:
Tried it. Hated it.

If you're not very discerning, it seems fine. But for someone who appreciates a bit of a neutral sound, it sounded boomy and congested. Very small too...the band maxed out at the top of my head even though my head is not that large.

Thanks. So what headphones are you using? I used to wear these Audio-Technica headphones when gaming on my PC, but now they're out in the living room and I need some new headphones to use with my computer. I don't want another pair of those Audio-Technicas because they start to hurt my head after Ive been wearing them for a couple of hours.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hawk269 said:
Would you mind going into more detail with what you said? I have a 2600k, it is overclocked to 4.5 on air. Are you saying that if I disable the hyper threading that I would get even better perofrmance with my games? Would turining it off effect the overclock or anything?

Thanks..first I am hearing about that the hyper threading can hinder game performance..but I a bit of a noob! lol
For normal applications having HT on can hurt performance (very slightly) or sometimes improve it (very slightly). It's not a big deal but it does use a touch more power if you are concerned about that.

TheExodu5

Banned
Curufinwe said:
Thanks. So what headphones are you using? I used to wear these Audio-Technica headphones when gaming on my PC, but now they're out in the living room and I need some new headphones to use with my computer. I don't want another pair of those Audio-Technicas because they start to hurt my head after Ive been wearing them for a couple of hours.

I used to use a cheap pair of Plantronics which I liked.

Currently using the Sennheiser PC350...not quite as affordable.

NeoandGeo

Banned
ExMachina said:

This. I just installed one, and idle temps are low 30's and load for one hour doesn't even break 65c. As quiet as the stock cooler as well.

I'm trying to get this new i5 2500K build right and get a decent quality rig going. My last three builds have been a disaster with overheating problems I still have no clue what the causes were.

My first build started overheating when the liquid cooling system went out and I switched to a 120mm heatsink, my second started overheating about a year later, my third overheated as soon as I finished building it which made me send everything back, and go back to my second.

I'm looking for suggestions on RAM, which are around the same price range. G. Skill has worked well for me, so I'd like to stick with them. The first is pretty basic 1600 DDR3, the next is clocked at a lower 1.25V, and the last has a lower CAS latency. I have no interest in OC'ing the RAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231461

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231431

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom