• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
LiK said:
ARGH, i have all compontents except a video card. can't decide one.

the main one i'm looking at is the Asus GTX 570

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121432

what do you guys think?

if there's a card that is about the same or better performance-wise for a cheaper price, please let me know. i'm getting a headache, lol
That's the best 570 imo. Just know it takes 3 slots.
riceandbeans said:
I'm trying to get this new i5 2500K build right and get a decent quality rig going. My last three builds have been a disaster with overheating problems I still have no clue what the causes were.

My first build started overheating when the liquid cooling system went out and I switched to a 120mm heatsink, my second started overheating about a year later, my third overheated as soon as I finished building it which made me send everything back, and go back to my second.

I'm looking for suggestions on RAM, which are around the same price range. G. Skill has worked well for me, so I'd like to stick with them. The first is pretty basic 1600 DDR3, the next is clocked at a lower 1.25V, and the last has a lower CAS latency. I have no interest in OC'ing the RAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231461

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231431
I'd get:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231417
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416
I just like the fact that they are lower profile.

You want 1.5V RAM. 1333 vs 1600 is negligible. I'd save the money.

psykomyko

I'm looking to upgrade my PC (For The Witcher 2 of course) and I can't really afford a completely new rig, so I was thinking of just getting a video card that could run The Witcher 2 great. I don't really want to spend more then $200. I am a complete noob when it comes to this stuff. Here are the present specs on my PC:

Dell Inspiron 530
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7400 2.80GHz RAM 6GB
I have a nVidia GeForce 9500 GT right now.

Is there any good video cards that I could get no more then $200?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
psykomyko said:
I'm looking to upgrade my PC (For The Witcher 2 of course) and I can't really afford a completely new rig, so I was thinking of just getting a video card that could run The Witcher 2 great. I don't really want to spend more then $200. I am a complete noob when it comes to this stuff. Here are the present specs on my PC:

Dell Inspiron 530
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7400 2.80GHz RAM 6GB
I have a nVidia GeForce 9500 GT right now.

Is there any good video cards that I could get no more then $200?
GTX 460. However you will need to upgrade the power supply as well. Not sure of the PSU dimensions for your 530.
A 9800GT would probably work fine with your current PSU though, but it's not the best upgrade in the long run.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016
+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121390
Broadbandito said:
If you are waiting for BF3 Bulldozer will be out and there should be a refresh on the DX 11 cards. Your rig now is still very capable so unless you have a good reason for wanting an upgrade now I'd wait.

If you just want an upgrade now, it's a good upgrade still.
GTX 560 and 6950 are good cards.

Just a quick question. What is the cheapest I could get parts for a computer that could run Crysis 2 on max settings (or at least decently, though StarCraft 2 on Ultra High is good enough)? I do not know much about computers (and my brother just knows how to build computers, but does not know much about the latest games and requirements and such).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The Mana Legend said:
Just a quick question. What is the cheapest I could get parts for a computer that could run Crysis 2 on max settings (or at least decently, though StarCraft 2 on Ultra High is good enough)? I do not know much about computers (and my brother just knows how to build computers, but does not know much about the latest games and requirements and such).
Diminishing returns on price so it depends what you will settle for. Fill out the section in the OP.
Also your resolution and AA options.

The 1k build in the OP is a very solid starting point. If you have more money to spend going SLi 570 / 6950 adds $350, Upgrade to 8GB $50
_____
$1500 + Add in an SSD (I would if spending that much) $1700.
Also SCII on Ultra High is stupidly unoptimized and looks the same as High.

If you want help with a build fill this out AND try making one of your own from the resources in the OP :)

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM (DDR2/DDR3) / Motherboard / GPU
Budget: Price Range + Country
Main Use: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, 3D work, general usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later?
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Self Explanatory
Are reusing any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX 520W)
When will you build?: When do you want your computer, do you need it in a week, can you wait a month or two?
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes)

Hazaro said:
Diminishing returns on price so it depends what you will settle for. Fill out the section in the OP.
Also your resolution and AA options.

The 1k build in the OP is a very solid starting point. If you have more money to spend going SLi 570 / 6950 adds $350, Upgrade to 8GB $50
_____
$1500 + Add in an SSD (I would if spending that much) $1700.
Also SCII on Ultra High is stupidly unoptimized and looks the same as High.

If you want help with a build fill this out AND try making one of your own from the resources in the OP :)

Basic Desktop Questions:
Main Use: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, 3D work, general usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later?
When will you build?: When do you want your computer, do you need it in a week, can you wait a month or two?

I was wondering if you could give feedback on a question I posed a page or so back. If money is really no issue, which GPU would make the most sense?

GTX 570 SLI
Radeon 6950 unlocked to 6970 Xfire (are there any risks to this?)
GTX 580 (with the intention of SLI later this year)

Would really appreciate the feedback.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
mike23 said:
Is it worth getting Artic Silver 5 thermal paste over the stuff that comes with the 212?

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
Not really. Having spare paste is good if you mess up or want to reseat later though.
I think CM 212 comes with MX-2? That's a good paste.
I'd also get MX2 or 4 or ICD7. Also try to find someplace that doesn't charge $10 for paste :/
Saren is Bad said:
I was wondering if you could give feedback on a question I posed a page or so back. If money is really no issue, which GPU would make the most sense?

GTX 570 SLI
Radeon 6950 unlocked to 6970 Xfire (are there any risks to this?)
GTX 580 (with the intention of SLI later this year)

Would really appreciate the feedback.
My SLi experience is limited to having a GTX 295, but a we have a few people here who run $700 in GPU.

If you can deal with headache's I'd say get dual 6950's. If you want a simpler experience I'd get a 580 and see what the future has.

Personally I've been pretty satisfied with the performance my GTX 295 has gotten me, but I'd be inclined to get a 580 myself.

Some more Intel "leaked slides" have popped up. If these are true, it looks like the 8 core 20M cache engineering samples won't have a client equivalent anytime soon.

Intel has already said that pricing for the LGA2011 Sandy Bridge-E 4 core will come in around what the 2600K goes for. The non-XE 6 core will supposedly fall within the $550-650 range, and the range topper should fill in the ~$1,000 XE slot.

Intel Desktop Processor: Enthusiast Roadmap
Sandy Bridge-E & Ivy Bridge

X79 LGA2011 6 core
3.3GHz, 15M Cache
3.2GHz, 12M Cache
X79 LGA2011 4 core
3.6GHz, 10M Cache

V7wjM.png

Intel Desktop Chipset: Roadmap - Consumer Platforms
Intel Z68 Chipset, Intel X79 Chipset, Intel Z77 Chipset, Intel Z75 Chipset, Intel H77 Chipset

dtjJw.jpg

Intel Desktop Chipset: Roadmap - Business Platforms
Intel Q77 Chipset, Intel Q75 Chipset, Intel B75 Chipset

u6Xix.jpg

edit:

Intel Consumer Desktop Platform Roadmap

eS54M.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27241926&postcount=14057
scogoth said:
Good quick reference for anyone who isn't familiar with the differences.

scogoth said:
Any news on LucidLogix Virtu on Z68?
Intel has demoed it, Asus is supporting it and MSI put out a press release. As well as it works, it's still going to have some of the same limitations that Hydra has, namely Lucid's ability to properly support all/most new titles, and certain older releases, across AMD and Nvidia's various revisions.

Virtu looks good, but I'm more interested in Nvidia and AMD's upcoming switchable desktop graphics solutions since they should be better implemented, and free of charge to vendors. Not sure when we'll see AMD's effort, but "Nvidia Synergy" should be out soon.

20110419_3.jpg

20110419_4.jpg

MSI's Extends partnership with LucidLogix - Lucid Virtu support on MSI Z68 mainboards
http://www.msi.com/news-media/news/1234.html

20110419_6.jpg

MSI Z68 lineup
"MSI will have a complete lineup of Z68 based mainboards with Virtu technology. All based on MSI's renowned Military Class II components, like Z68A-GD80(B3), MSI's mainboard with three way graphics supporting AMD CrossFireX and NVIDIA SLI technology. All MSI Z68 mainboards are equipped with MSI's one click overclocking technology OC Genie II boosting not only the Processor speed, but also the Intel HD2000/3000 graphics and memory speeds, of course also available on Z68A-GD65(B3). For HTPC users, MSI offers the Z68MA-ED55(B3) in a microATX form factor and has the same high quality components and dual graphics capabilities."

G-Pink

Hah, what a nightmare I've been having getting support for this system. I'm going to call Asus tomorrow and see what can be done at pinpointing what's wrong with my system, but i figure one more shot here might be fruitful if anyone could give me a good guess at what's goin' on.

Motherboard: P8P67 Deluxe
CPU: i7 2600K
Video Card: Msi 560Ti
RAM: Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz
PSU: 750W Corsair

RMAed the PSU, having the same issue. Computer will turn on, spin up, even boot into the BIOS sometimes. When it does post, BIOS will freeze after a short while. When it doesn't post, the system will run for 10 seconds, everything will shut down without warning. CPU_LED is on most/at all times, but I get Q-Codes that pertain to the PCH initialization, which if I'm right, is on the motherboard. I'm not certain whether the CPU_LED was on during the times it went to BIOS, but I'm leaning towards no. One of the instances I got to BIOS was after I reseated the CPU and clamped it down.

Is it the CPU, or the motherboard? Pretty sure it's one or the other.

Zimbardo

G-Pink said:
Hah, what a nightmare I've been having getting support for this system. I'm going to call Asus tomorrow and see what can be done at pinpointing what's wrong with my system, but i figure one more shot here might be fruitful if anyone could give me a good guess at what's goin' on.

RMAed the PSU, having the same issue. Computer will turn on, spin up, even boot into the BIOS sometimes. When it does post, BIOS will freeze after a short while. When it doesn't post, the system will run for 10 seconds, everything will shut down without warning. CPU_LED is on most/at all times, but I get Q-Codes that pertain to the PCH initialization, which if I'm right, is on the motherboard. I'm not certain whether the CPU_LED was on during the times it went to BIOS, but I'm leaning towards no. One of the instances I got to BIOS was after I reseated the CPU and clamped it down.

i'll say fucked motherboard.

G-Pink said:

A few things can cause some of those issues (like a motherboard header or front panel connector issue that leads to start up problems), but the two you mentioned point toward a faulty motherboard. You should contact Asus to see about doing a cross ship, though getting a replacement from the retailer may be quicker for you.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
G-Pink said:

Have you assembled outside the case with minimum components and 1 stock of RAM? Reseated all your connections?

mike23

Pulled the trigger on the parts for my NAS and desktop upgrades. Should have build pics this weekend, hopefully. My R3 isn't eligible for shipping with that ShopRunner trial, so it may or may not make it before Monday. :/

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
How huge of a difference will an SSD make as my Windows drive? Is it worth it getting one just for windows or picking up a bit of extra space to install the current games I'm playing on it as well?

Sorry Gaf,
but I really need your help and expertise.
I want to get back in pc gaming (witcher 2 looks so tempting...)
My current rig is about six to seven years old (with an old dualcore 1,8ghz and a 9600gt, usb ports are strting to go etc...) so I guess a new rig would be better than trying to update my old one.

Now there's a premade rig by medion on sale from today.
One of my first pc's at home was bought at the same chain and lasted me quite a while.
Still I prefer to assemble my rig myself, but after years of console gaming, I'm just totally at a loss. So this deal looks interesting to an outsider wanting to get back in, but I really need som indication that this thing is worth the money.

Could you take a look at this and tell me what you think?

http://aldi.medion.com/md8888_01/be_nl/?refPage=aldi

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kintaro said:
How huge of a difference will an SSD make as my Windows drive? Is it worth it getting one just for windows or picking up a bit of extra space to install the current games I'm playing on it as well?
Pretty darn noticeable.
Only games you should put on your SSD are a few of your go-to games. The difference isn't that much. Some MMO's can be helped a bit though.
Otherwise its all your applications and programs, and of course the OS.
Animation-Imp said:
Sorry Gaf,
but I really need your help and expertise.
I want to get back in pc gaming (witcher 2 looks so tempting...)
My current rig is about six to seven years old (with an old dualcore 1,8ghz and a 9600gt, usb ports are strting to go etc...) so I guess a new rig would be better than trying to update my old one.

Now there's a premade rig by medion on sale from today.
One of my first pc's at home was bought at the same chain and lasted me quite a while.
Still I prefer to assemble my rig myself, but after years of console gaming, I'm just totally at a loss. So this deal looks interesting to an outsider wanting to get back in, but I really need som indication that this thing is worth the money.

Could you take a look at this and tell me what you think?

http://aldi.medion.com/md8888_01/be_nl/?refPage=aldi
Awful. Older CPU and GPU although still incredibly fast, but if it's 1,100 that is a horrible value.

If you are intimidated simply look at all the information in the OP and fill out the bolded template.
There are 3 building videos as well.

__

Basic Desktop Questions:

Kintaro

Hazaro said:
Pretty darn noticeable.
Only games you should put on your SSD are a few of your go-to games. The difference isn't that much. Some MMO's can be helped a bit though.
Otherwise its all your applications and programs, and of course the OS.

Cool. I'll look into a smaller one then.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kintaro said:
Cool. I'll look into a smaller one then.
With SSD's the more space you have, the faster their read and write speed can be (the way they are built atm). Mostly it's write speed though.

They also need some extra space to keep themselves tidy so don't fill it to the brim.

Kintaro

Hazaro said:
With SSD's the more space you have, the faster their read and write speed can be (the way they are built atm). Mostly it's write speed though.

They also need some extra space to keep themselves tidy so don't fill it to the brim.

Doh! Thanks for the tip!

Starbeh

Neo Member
Thanks for the feedback! Going to go ahead and order now, so excited!

Bumped it down to an i5 as suggested.

Hawk269 said:
#4) Do you plan in the future to go SLI at all? If so, I would bump up the PSU a little bit, you don't need a nuclear reactor, but maybe a bit more power especially if you are OC both card and CPU and adding SLI in the future.

No SLI at least this side of the year. Probably just going to jump on the next card at some point.

Again, thanks guys!

scogoth

·feist· said:
Intel has demoed it, Asus is supporting it and MSI ...... factor and has the same high quality components and dual graphics capabilities."

I know at first Virtu swapped the display buffer from the dGPU to the HD Graphics output buffer similar to what hydra did but it was my understanding the retail release would allow regular dGPU use and output and copy the HD Graphics buffer to the dGPU output only when using Quick Sync. That way you get Quick Sync and full GPU usage for gaming, also I remember there being talk about using a blacklist system instead of the current validated whitelist system but don't know if it got implemented.

I didn't know about AMD and Nvidia's works but the more work in this area the better. I was so upset that Quick Sync would only be usable when using the HD Graphics. Looks like the third parties are all making up for Intels decisions. Now I just hope there is an unlocked SB-E processor for less then $1000.

RickA238

What's the word on the Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB drive (currently $73 shipped at superbiiz AC)? My 3+ TB of space are ~90% filled right now and I need more space. One of my current drives is a 1TB Spinpoint F3, and I've been very happy with it (I realize that the F4 has a slower rotational speed). What size platters do the 2TB F4's use?

I'm mainly looking to store lossless music on the drive, so speed isn't a huge priority. Externals won't do. I'm also considering a Western Digital WD20EARS. Any help would be much appreciated!

Coldsnap

Cipherr said:
That is an exceptional cable management job. I'm not sure if its the angle but I cant see ANYTHING. Can barely make out the 24 pin. Its beautiful.

Thank you. The R3 case has some awesome cable management features. I referenced some pictures of other peoples R3 build, mostly ones with a non modular power supply to get a good idea of how I should go about it. I colored in the wires with a black sharpie too to make all the wires black.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
SaintR said:
Quick question if you don't mind answering...I was reading that certain memory sometimes have trouble with the p67 pro (I might just be hallucinating though...my child hates that i sleep) would these be good Patriot sector 5
1.5V vs 1.65 maybe?
1.65V should run fine, but it was meant for 1.5V

There are these 1.5V on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GOPWDE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you have read that certain sticks have incompatibility then go ahead and post it here. Otherwise it usually a rare problem to have RAM not work on a board.

*Looks like those Corsairs have a right DOA rate... Maybe just get the 1.65V if you have to order from amazon. Otherwise I'd nab the G.Skill 1.5V Snipers on newegg.
RickA238 said:
What's the word on the Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB drive (currently $73 shipped at superbiiz AC)? My 3+ TB of space are ~90% filled right now and I need more space. One of my current drives is a 1TB Spinpoint F3, and I've been very happy with it (I realize that the F4 has a slower rotational speed). What size platters do the 2TB F4's use?

I'm mainly looking to store lossless music on the drive, so speed isn't a huge priority. Externals won't do. I'm also considering a Western Digital WD20EARS. Any help would be much appreciated!
The F4 uses 500GB platters and the density makes up the speed difference.
I'm using one as an OS drive and I can't tell any real slowness compared to a normal drive.

As long as it's build date is past December you are fine, otherwise you will need to update the firmware on it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Had a bit more money than I thought I did, so I just purchased a couple of 2TB Samsung F4s. They should get here by Friday. It'll be good to have some free space again.

I'm on an unlimited 8Mbit ADSL plan and I can't download much at all because I lost two 1TB+ drives in as many weeks. :/

Edit: What's the go with the firmware upgrade? Why is it highly recommended/required?

eznark

Banned
So each night I've been bumping up the multiplier and touching nothing else, just to see how it goes but to also do it gradually. I'm up to 4.6 and have touched nothing else. These Sandybridge chips are seriously amazing.

Any thoughts on GPU overclocking? Back when I was trying to really ramp up Tribes, GPU oc'ing scared the shit out of me. Still a bit issues these days or has it become a bit less intense? I just remember all the horror stories about frying cards instantly.

TheExodu5

Banned
GPU overclocking seems a little flakey these days, especially with the ability to increase voltages. A lot of people seem to be killing their cards.

If I wanted to be safe about it, I'd overclock just the core, and not the memory. You have a triple slot Asus right? It should run cool enough to manage a decent overclock.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think I just used NVidia Inspector.

I actually reverted the overclocks on my cards since my stock EVGA cards are too loud as it is.

I'd say try to limit GPU overvoltage by maybe 5%. If the default voltage is 1V, make ~1.05V your max. 1.10V is the upper limit of what you want to push. And as I said, just don't overclock the memory. These cards seem to be prone to memory failure, since memory cooling tends to be inadequate this generation. Both the 6950/6970 and 570/580s have been dying from memory overclocking. Memory overclocking offers little performance benefit compared to GPU overclocking as well.

TheExodu5

Banned
Oh, by the way, I took my Intel 80GB G2 and stuck it in a 4 year old laptop (Core Duo 2.0GHz with 7600Go and 2GB RAM). Daaaaaamn. The thing feels nearly as fast as my new Sandy Bridge build for Windows and browsing. Awesome. I thought it might still feel a little sluggish since it's such an old build, but nope!

I was going to sell the drive, but a friend backed out of the sale at the last second. I'm glad I kept it.

scotcheggz

Hey guys, I have a bit of a noobish question...

This is my first computer build in about 10 years, when I looked over all the parts to familiarise myself, the PSU had two different plugs coming out of it, the long one and a much smaller plug. Anyway, I assumed that these were like when you had two different plugs, one for AMD boards and one for intel boards. Well, it seems I have to plug both of these in? Is that correct? going through the motherboard manual, it's not totally clear, but it does look that way, so I just wanted to check. Pic here is of the socket on the board in question circled in red. Hope you guys can see what I'm getting at. If that is the case, why does the board need two power cables plugged into it these days?

JgJyl.jpg

Hope this makes sense!

When comparing benchmarks on 3dmark's website, should I assume most 6950s are unlocked? Would an unlocked 6950 actually show up as a 6970? I'm just trying to set a baseline for my GPU before I start OCing stuff. Right now it's a little disappointing, getting around 4400 on 3dmark11 whereas the average seems to be in the 6000 range. That's with a 2500k, 4GB ram.

TheExodu5

Banned
Did you make sure to run 3DMark with default settings? I haven't used it in a while, but people used to just bench at default settings. I'm not sure if the comparison tool takes that into account or not.

6000 vs 4000 doesn't sound right. 6000 vs 4900 maybe...but I wouldn't expect a 50% increase in performance from unlocking. Does the performance number count CPU as well? Overclocking that Sandy Bridge is going to make a huge difference if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom