• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheFatOne said:
The 650D is mine. When are they coming out?

I appreciate this thread's willingness to answer noob questions (so far!), so here's one more. What's the advantage of something like this over using just some old ATX case I already have on hand? Obviously aesthetics are one, but from a practical standpoint, would I be in just as good shape with any case?

"I appreciate this thread's willingness to answer noob questions (so far!), so here's one more. What's the advantage of something like this over using just some old ATX case I already have on hand? Obviously aesthetics are one, but from a practical standpoint, would I be in just as good shape with any case?"

The advantages are various features like holes in the motherboard tray for cable management, sturdier construction, cooler (as in less heat), more room to fit certain larger components. But yes, there's nothing wrong with using any ATX case so long as all your stuff fits in it.

x3sphere said:
There isn't a big difference between the two at that res, not enough to make or break your gameplay experience anyway. The 580 only really pulls ahead at higher resolutions, like 2560x1600, thanks to the 1.5GB VRAM.

If the 580 was going for around ~$420, it'd be something to consider. But at the current price, you are blowing a lot more money for an improvement you may not even notice over the 570.

It's so weird that this res. isn't a big deal anymore. I guess my major concern is the future proofing.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
catapult37 said:
I appreciate this thread's willingness to answer noob questions (so far!), so here's one more. What's the advantage of something like this over using just some old ATX case I already have on hand? Obviously aesthetics are one, but from a practical standpoint, would I be in just as good shape with any case?
Airflow has become much more of a consideration recently as heat has become a major issue with modern computers and a lot of modern cases are designed to improve airflow, whereas old cases tended to just stick a single fan at the back and you were done.

Azzurri said:
Damn it, I just got my 600T yesterday, Maybe I'll return it to Amazon and get the 650D
If they will let you do that free of cost, and you don't mind the additional $40 for the D, it'd be a nice upgrade.

TheFatOne said:
The 650D is mine. When are they coming out?
March/April. Corsair is stealing your thoughts.

Teknopathetic said:
Same, except it has a FUCKING WINDOW AAAAH.
I was thinking earlier how this could make a nice 1-2 punch along with an FT02. One for general purpose, and one for gaming.

BTW, if you haven't ordered your case yet, make sure you don't get any of the old stock. You want to be certain that you get a newer revision with the AP181 fans pre-installed.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=AP181

I actually have already ordered it (arrives today). I bought it from someone who had it shipped directly from Silverstone, so it should have the AP181s.

poppabk said:
Airflow has become much more of a consideration recently as heat has become a major issue with modern computers and a lot of modern cases are designed to improve airflow, whereas old cases tended to just stick a single fan at the back and you were done.

so then if my cheap ass can only cobble together the parts without a nice case at first, i should just leave the side open, maybe prop the thing up on cinder blocks?

TheExodu5

Banned
catapult37 said:

Looks
Solid construction
Cable management
CPU backplate cutout
HDD trays (which fit both 3.5" and 2.5")
Tool-less 5.25" installation
Good airflow
Easy access side panel

Basically, you'll have an easier time building and maintaining your PC.

JoeBoy101

Hey gang, quick PSU question inspired from the Sandy Bridge thread.

I'm planning on running an i5-2500K, with 4GB of DDR3 mem, and a 570 GTX, in a HAF 922.

Is a 650W Corsair PSU going to cut it? Should I eat the price and move to 750W? I currently have the 650W modular Corsair to improve cable management, but want to avoid the cost bump on doing the same for the 750W. If I don't have enough headroom on my power needs though, I'll have to modify.

MoFuzz

JoeBoy101 said:

I'm planning on running an i5-2500K, with 4GB of DDR3 mem, and a 570 GTX, in a HAF 922.

Is a 650W Corsair PSU going to cut it? Should I eat the price and move to 750W? I currently have the 650W modular Corsair to improve cable management, but want to avoid the cost bump on doing the same for the 750W. If I don't have enough headroom on my power needs though, I'll have to modify.
650W Corsair is boss, you'll have more than enough juice than you'll ever need with that setup. Save your moniez.

TheExodu5

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:

650W is more than enough. I'd only move to ~750/850 if you plan on going SLI (and I'd probably make it 850, then).

Your setup under full peak (and I mean under conditions not achievable in gameplay) will take less than 500W.

JoeBoy101

Thanks. Not planning on SLI at all and after go 1000W with pretty much half of it unused on my current computer, figured I'd be more judicious with my power usage this time around.

-viper-

Banned
My PC wasn't starting at all. So I decided to get the vacuum out and aimed it at the CPU heatsink. Huge dustballs were taken up.

PC now is able to turn on and the CPU temp has dropped from 70 degrees Celsius to 40 degrees. :O

Had no idea dust could effectively kill your system and raise temps by that much.

How often do you guys clean your PCs?

-viper- said:
My PC wasn't starting at all. So I decided to get the vacuum out and aimed it at the CPU heatsink. Huge dustballs were taken up.

PC now is able to turn on and the CPU temp has dropped from 70 degrees Celsius to 40 degrees. :O

Had no idea dust could effectively kill your system and raise temps by that much.

It's like wrapping your CPU in a blanket. A Vacuum is a bad idea unless it was built to clean electronics. Vacuums generate a lot of static electricity.

-viper-

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
It's like wrapping your CPU in a blanket. A Vacuum is a bad idea unless it was built to clean electronics. Vacuums generate a lot of static electricity.
Well it was either that or the death of my processor. It was only used to clean the CPU heatsink anyway.

What is the recommended way to clean the PC?

x3sphere

-viper- said:

Every month. I use compressed air.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Jin34 said:
Anand demos OCZ Vertex Pro 3, uses the highest next gen SandForce controller

Lets just say SandForce wasn't making shit up with their speed claims of the SF-2000. Unfortunately these will be out in Q2 instead of Q1.
God damn.
Added to news in OP.

The Neeeeeeeews:
1/5/2011:
Top Sandy Bridge Reviews: [H]OCP, Anandtech, The Tech Report
Some good P67 board reviews: **TechReport four board round up, Asus P8P67 and P8P67 Pro (Legit Reviews), [H]OCP MSI P67A-GD65
New SSDs incoming: (Feb = Crucial C400), SF-2000 later, Intel G3 sooner?, SF-2000 OCZ Prelim Testing

Jin34

Hazaro you should note that the one tested is the most expensive variant of the SF 2000 controller so don't quite expect that kind of performance out of the more mainstream versions.

JoeBoy101

Dammit, I got my cart all filled out ready to buy my new machine, but still waiting on the SB chips to get in stock. Keep telling myself to order, but also keep telling myself maybe there will be a sale and a bit of cost savings before, or as, they come out. Grrr.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Jin34 said:
Hazaro you should note that the one tested is the most expensive variant of the SF 2000 controller so don't quite expect that kind of performance out of the more mainstream versions.
Yeah the EX and Pro versions, but it's still snazzy stuff.

-viper-

Banned
x3sphere said:
Every month. I use compressed air.
Is that from cans or from an air compressor machine?

If cans, how long do they last?

Also.. what are the main differences between P67 and H67 motherboards? I want to buy the i5-2500k but not sure what the differences are except H67 boards seem to be cheaper.

Smo21

Me again... I remember Harzaro telling me to wait for Sandy Bridge to come out so here I am...
Your Current Specs: Pc died, 2007 Macbook Pro
Budget: 1500-200 with tax + Canada
Main Use: Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Little bit of Video Editing, 3D work, Programming(in school for computer programming and plan on trying my hand at games some day)
Monitor Resolution: I plan on buying a monitor so this is kinda open.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Civilizations V, Battlefield Bad Company 2, ,Crysis:D
Are reusing any parts?: None
When will you build?: When ever, so long has my mac doesnt blow up im good.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe... Yes?

iNvidious01 said:
i bought the 3008wfp about a year ago, it was the top end 30" model at the time. i have a ton of stuff connected to it and its pretty bad ass to be able to use 1 screen for everything.
2560x1600 is a big step up and it'll take a few days to get used to but its hard to turn back after. i haven't ran any games yet because i have a stock dell piece of crap (first gaming pc coming this month), but the nvidia geforce gt220 has been able to power the display fine. i think your system will easily handle it.
at this resolution though you wont be able to have all the eye candy turned on unless you want to sacrifice some frame rate

Thanks for the input. Just ordered the U3011. Should be here early next week.

On a different note, I have a 24inch monitor for sale now. Does that go in the general Buy/Sell/Trade thread or will I have better luck trying to sell it on craigslist/ebay/another forum?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
-viper- said:
Is that from cans or from an air compressor machine?

If cans, how long do they last?

Also.. what are the main differences between P67 and H67 motherboards? I want to buy the i5-2500k but not sure what the differences are except H67 boards seem to be cheaper.
H67 = no CPU overclocking, but can output video from the CPU
Smo21 said:
Me again... I remember Harzaro telling me to wait for Sandy Bridge to come out so here I am...
Main Use: Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Little bit of Video Editing, 3D work, Programming(in school for computer programming and plan on trying my hand at games some day)
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Civilizations V, Battlefield Bad Company 2, ,Crysis:D
Prelim outline:
Next Gen SSD 128GB (C400 in Feb, SF-2000 Q2?, I'll be building then getting an SSD later)
Samsung F4 2TB
ASUS P8P67 Pro
8GB DDR3
Corsair 750W
GTX 560/570

JoeBoy101

Smo21 said:

Might as well do some reading among the tech websites in the op. New CPUs and boards won't be available until some time next week at the earliest, probably. Microcenter madness aside, of course.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Jin34 said:
Intel is just trolling at this point :lol
Amazon had 5 GB P67 motherboards there and in stock. Hope they can stock the Asus P67 Pro, I think I've settled on that one.

Jin34

Hazaro said:
Amazon had 5 GB P67 motherboards there and in stock. Hope they can stock the Asus P67 Pro, I think I've settled on that one.

Remember the price ranges? Not like Amazon will ship them to where I live but it will give me an idea on the US prices.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Jin34 said:
Remember the price ranges? Not like Amazon will ship them to where I live but it will give me an idea on the US prices.
ud3 - $128
ud3R - $160?
ud4 - $212 (Seems too high, should be cheaper)

The problem is that they were not listed under the motherboards section, but everything else was correct.

Surreal

Hey guys, I like the Corsair cases posted above but they seem a bit pricey... Does anyone know of a fairly large case with good airflow? I'm looking for good bang for my buck. This computer will be used for 3D rendering and video editing so I don't want the components getting too hot or the fans getting too loud.

Am I asking too much? :lol

Joe Molotov

I think I've got my specs pretty much set, I've already bought most of the parts already, I'm just hitting up Microcenter sunday morning to get my Sandy Bridge stuff.

i5-2500k
MSI P67A-GD65 or Asus P8P67 PRO (haven't decided yet, probably going to make a decision in-store on Sunday)
Corsair Dominator 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
EVGA Superclocked GTX 570
Kingston SSDNow V Series 128GB SSD (boot drive)
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
900W Rocketfish Modular PSU (80 Plus Sliver)
Cooler Master HAF X

TheExodu5

Banned
Surreal said:
Hey guys, I like the Corsair cases posted above but they seem a bit pricey... Does anyone know of a fairly large case with good airflow? I'm looking for good bang for my buck. This computer will be used for 3D rendering and video editing so I don't want the components getting too hot or the fans getting too loud.

Am I asking too much? :lol

HAF 922. It's a very roomy mid-tower. If you want more space, then you can go to a full tower, but you'll pay a bit more.

Storm Sniper wouldn't be bad either.

desu

Joe Molotov said:
I think I've got my specs pretty much set, I've already bought most of the parts already, I'm just hitting up Microcenter sunday morning to get my Sandy Bridge stuff.

i5-2500k
MSI P67A-GD65 or Asus P8P67 PRO (haven't decided yet, probably going to make a decision in-store on Sunday)
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Cooler Master HAF X

Are you planning on going Sli? Otherwise I think the 900W thing is a bit oversized (in case you want to save some money).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ChRoNiTe said:
I was thinking about selling some of my parts to a buddy to help offset the cost of a new 6950.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm Ceramic CPU Cooler

Would $100 be a reasonable price for those components?
I'd go $150 minimum.

Also newegg has some G.Skill 2x4GB 1333Mhz sticks up for $75 shipped.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231417

I jumped on board, not going to need memory bandwidth anytime soon.
Joe Molotov said:

i5-2500k
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Cooler Master HAF X
Unless you are getting the 900W cheap, I'd look into something else. As a PSU it seems quite good, but for warranty and tried and true I'd personally go with something else.

TheExodu5

Banned

Clydefrog

I don't need a new PC. I just formatted my computer last night, reinstalled Windows, and it's like having a brand new computer! SO NICE!

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, or meant as a negative, but it would be a good idea if some people:

- Checked out the OP

- Took a moment to look at the last 1-2 pages or so, when entering the thread​

Jin34 said:
Prices for 16 Asus, Gigabyte and MSI boards
http://www.superbiiz.com/query.php?categry=0&s=1155&x=0&y=0

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TheExodu5 said:
I bet the Rocketfish is a quality rebranded PSU. Might want to look into it.

edit:

http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/657874-900w-rocketfish-129-99-best-buy.html

Hmmm...could be decent...but as you say, he should probably go with it only if it's at a good price.
Yeah I read that stuff and its just some of the other branded PSUs are not rated for what they state, and the caps are mostly unknown on it. So it could run perfectly fine at 750W for 3 years, but then die.
Clydefrog said:
I don't need a new PC. I just formatted my computer last night, reinstalled Windows, and it's like having a brand new computer! SO NICE!
You can only delude yourself for so long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom