• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

TheExodu5 said:
I'd advise against the C400, unless it properly supports TRIM or fixes its current write issues. For the C300, once you've written to the whole drive, write speeds permanently decrease from around 180MB/s to 20MB/s.

This is not true as an owner of the drive. We covered this in the last thread, but that was a firmware 1 issue. Since 2 the GC is incredibly aggressive and the drive does not lose speed, even when filled to the brim. Ive emptied since, but Ive done this twice now, filling the SSD then running ASSD and the speeds are just fine before and after clearing the space again.

There was a single review out there claiming the speeds tanked, and the author screwed up his review and said the issue wasn't resolved in the newer firmware, but it was. Noone anywhere has been able to replicate the speed degradation since, and people have posted asking him to explain and its gone unanswered.

And all CS300 drives have been shipping with firmware 2 since July.

Edit: Here's a screen of a benchmark, again the drive isn't filled to the brim anymore, I only bothered to do that to test it a month or so ago, but the performance didn't drop even then. This was done with ASSD here just a few mins ago. Mines is a CS300 128GB. The 256's are faster.

yVlP2.png

In any case I think the crucial drives are pretty damn nice, the C400's aren't a big enough upgrade imo but the upcoming drives on the new SF arch will probably blaze. All I want from intel is some Sata 6 drivers. The Marvell drivers are shite. I've lately started to wonder if intel will be able to match or exceed the speed of crucials next drives. Intel drives do still have that superior 4k random read though.

Jtrizzy

vocab said:
Milage may very. You'll get 60 fps @ 1080P w/AA and AF or you'll get barely functional games/games that work that run at half the speed of the actual game. It really depends what games are supported. Also, you can play Wii games with any controller you want really.
Well, I bought the wii specifically for nsmb, galaxy 1 and 2, dkcr, and mario kart. I assume those are probably running well.

So will I be able to go to sli down the road with the set up im getting? Ill be up for that this summer. For now, $15 or$ 16 hundred is what im comfortable with. Thanks again, this is all so exciting, as I haven't been a pc gamer since the original DOOM!

Jtrizzy

I could also use some help with my set up. I sit about 6 feet away from the "50 plasma in a recliner. Obviously ill need a keyboard and mouse. Also, I am currently on a wireless network, and its pretty fast...work fine with my ps3, and the wireless adapter in that thing is trash. I could get my own connection, but really don't want to pay for it since the current setup is included in my rent.

Sorry for the lack of punctuation and capitalization, im stuck my droid till I get this pc.

Shambles

Smokey said:
So thinking about it...is there really a point in getting a 580 over a 570?

Not unless you have a hard time getting rid of your money. Since you can unlock 6950's into 6970's I'd have a hard time choosing a 570 over a 6950 unless you're folding.

snack

Smokey said:
The GTX 570 is around 15% slower than the GTX 580, making the GTX 570 an extremely good valued card, as it costs roughly 30% less. I say stick to the 570.

Smokey

Shambles said:
Not unless you have a hard time getting rid of your money. Since you can unlock 6950's into 6970's I'd have a hard time choosing a 570 over a 6950 unless you're folding.

Probably won't be going the AMD route...going to do a 3D setup.

snack said:
The GTX 570 is around 15% slower than the GTX 580, making the GTX 570 an extremely good valued, as it costs roughly 30% less. I say stick to the 570.

True. I've been leaning towards the 570 over the 580 lately after looking over more benchies and reviews. In my case I will probably go for a SLI setup for my setup, and I'm having a hard time justifying spending $300+ more on 2 580s ($1000) versus 2 570 ($700ish).

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Smokey said:
It is a 10%-15% performance difference, which translates into 5-10fps depending on the game and settings.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-570-review/18
You just need to convince yourself it is worth $150 more. I own one but money was not a factor, I just wanted the performance.

Smokey said:
Probably won't be going the AMD route...going to do a 3D setup.

True. I've been leaning towards the 570 over the 580 lately after looking over more benchies and reviews. In my case I will probably go for a SLI setup for my setup, and I'm having a hard time justifying spending $300+ more on 2 580s ($1000) versus 2 570 ($700ish).
If you are going SLI the difference is even less at anything under 1900x1200.

Smokey

godhandiscen said:
If you are going SLI the difference is even less at anything under 1900x1200.

Two possibilities for my setup:

1. 3D Surround
2. 30'' monitor @ 2560 x 1600

So in either of those situations I'm wondering if the 580 will stretch it's legs out further than the 570 especially since it has 1.5GB of RAM compared to the 1.2 on the 570. Not to mention a little more juice under the hood. But is it worth an extra $300...ugh.

For my case I am thinking about going with the Cooler Master HAF 912 or the Antec Sonata Proto. I like the look of the Antec better, but I can't seem to find a place with free shipping. The Cooler Master would end up being about $10 cheaper because of this.

iNvid02

Was looking around at some of the sites that build your PC for you and the prices are horrific. One place quoted me £334 ($500+) more than what it costs me to build my own.
I know they are a business and need a cut from it, but thats insane. I've noticed Dell are pretty expensive now too. Will always have to build my own now

Mr_Brit

Banned
iNvidious01 said:
Was looking around at some of the sites that build your PC for you and the prices are horrific. One place quoted me £334 ($500+) more than what it costs me to build my own.
I know they are a business and need a cut from it, but thats insane. I've noticed Dell are pretty expensive now too. Will always have to build my own now
I thought you're American?

Esperado

LiquidMamba said:
For my case I am thinking about going with the Cooler Master HAF 912 or the Antec Sonata Proto. I like the look of the Antec better, but I can't seem to find a place with free shipping. The Cooler Master would end up being about $10 cheaper because of this.
If you like the Antec better then $10 should be no problem. Think of it this way. The ten bucks is gonna suck now, but it's going to suck more 6 months down the line if the case bothers you, and at that point getting it fixed is going to cost a lot more.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Smokey said:

1. 3D Surround

So in either of those situations I'm wondering if the 580 will stretch it's legs out further than the 570 especially since it has 1.5GB of RAM compared to the 1.2 on the 570. Not to mention a little more juice under the hood. But is it worth an extra $300...ugh.
Ohh definitely. In your case you NEED that extra 300MBs. They willl make a world of a difference. At those resolutions the frame buffer can make the difference between a game being playable or not.

edit: Actually since you are going for such a high resolution, you should also look into a 6970.

TheExodu5 said:
How are these stock fans safe? Pumping out all the hot air out of a tiny slot...it actually burns my hand if I touch it for more than a second.

Anyways, got a quick n' dirty stable overclock:

840 core
2100 memory

No voltage modding yet.

Is this in Stalker CoP by any chance?
Sorry for a slow reply, read this on my ipod but was too tired to sign in :p

No not in stalker, don't own them, but I am thinking now that it's actually my cpu fan, it might just need a clean as it's trying to speed up when my cores go over 50C and i'm going to blame the dust.

iNvid02

Mr_Brit said:
I thought you're American?

nope.

i need some more help though for the case and fans.

- coolermaster cosmos rc1000k pure black OR coolermaster haf-x
- which fans to go with the Thermalright Venomous X heatsink + what RPM

i want everything to cooled well but dont want loud annoying fans

AkIRA_22

iNvidious01 said:

Jesus effing Christ, I have never heard of anyone paying more than $AUS100 (£65).

Mr_Brit

Banned
iNvidious01 said:
nope.

i need some more help though for the case and fans.

- coolermaster cosmos rc1000k pure black OR coolermaster haf-x
- which fans to go with the Thermalright Venomous X heatsink + what RPM

i want everything to cooled well but dont want loud annoying fans
Have you checked professional review sites as well? GAF recommendations are OK but sometimes scientific measurements and comparisons to other fans is better as most sites arrange them in graphs of quietest to loudest and hottest to coolest so you can easily check what the best fan heat/noise combo for your budget is.

iNvid02

Mr_Brit said:
Have you checked professional review sites as well? GAF recommendations are OK but sometimes scientific measurements and comparisons to other fans is better as most sites arrange them in graphs of quietest to loudest and hottest to coolest so you can easily check what the best fan heat/noise combo for your budget is.

yeah im on bit tech during lunch, thermaltake frio looks pretty decent.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I'm going to go for the Frio looks pretty decent and doesn't use those annoying wire-clamps to attach the fans. Sandy Bridge motherboards should be available from most sites now, still need to wait until Sunday to order the actual processor.

Well according to NCIX forums, Sandy Bridge CPU's pricing popped up for a second on the site:

2500k = 255$
2600k = 368$

And a nice Bundle which you can actually see:

2500k + msi mobo P67A-GD65 P67 = 454.98$

Nice premium pricing NCIX...

Thread on NCIX

mbmonk

I was wanting to double check two formulas ( I found ) and calculations (I made) to compare theoretical performance in upgrading from my 8800GT to one of the cards below.

The formulas I found are:
1) Memory Bandwidth = Buswidth * Memory Clock

2) Computational Power = # Stream Processors * Shader Clock

Luckily gpureview.com has all these calculations already.

I couldn't find any information on the # of Stream Processors for the 8800GT so I am just going to focus on Memory Bandwidth.

Here are the memory bandwidth numbers ( I rounded them off for easier math) for the cards I am looking at include my 8800Gt
8800GT = 60 GB/sec
HD 5770 = 75 GB/sec; price $115
HD 6850 = 130 GB/sec; price 165

Using those number the 5770 is going to give me a %25 increase in memory bandwidth performance, and the 6850 is going to give me 100% increase. So it would seem like the extra $50 is well worth it.

Is this general approach and math correct?

BTW, gpureview.com is great for comparing cards :p. Anyone know of a better site?

Thanks.

desu

I think I settled for my new system now:

i7 2500k
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4
Noctua NH-D14
G.Skill RipJaws DIMM Kit 8GB PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24
570 GTX
Fractal Design Define R3 black
Corsair AX 750W ATX
+ random left overs from my old pc.

iNvid02

desu said:
I think I settled for my new system now:

same, trying not to change anything but i always end up doing something.
Couple of WD 1TB drives i have left over, and a G3 Intel SSD when its out and i'm ready

Coolermaster HAF-X
Intel Core i7 2600k
Corsair HX-1000 PSU
ASUS P8P67 PRO
G.SKILL RIPJAWS 8GB
2x XFX HD 6950 CrossfireX
Noctua NH-D14
Sony 24x DVD-RW Drive

The_Squirrel_Menace said:
I was shooting for that mobo aswell, but asus is way cheaper.

I went for asus because of the new efi bios, looks sweet. its the future right here
lol watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUvrXJ2fT_M

ASUS-EFI-01.jpg

knitoe

desu said:
Too be honest, (imho) ugly efi bios like that are a reason for me to stay away from those boards. I suppose I prefer my bios really simple without too much fancy stuff.
At top right, to can go into advanced mode which looks similar to bios you see today except it also has mouse support. This updated bios is one of the reason I went with Asus.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Looks like my radeon 4870 finally died. I confirm tomorrow but I'm looking at cards. I game at 1080p, sometimes at 1680 x 1050 if I switch monitors. Therefore, I'm looking at sub $200 cards.

Anyone using this : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127518

It's an MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460. My most demanding game is crysis warhead, maybe battlefield bad company two. Any experiences or impressions of this card or model?

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm surprised. A single GTX 570 plays Metro pretty damned well. Maxed out, 1080p, but with Advanced DOF off, it runs at like 40-50fps, no problem.

Screenshots don't do the game justice. Can't believe how good it looks in motion.

I'm in the market for a portable HDD. Been looking at them and can't decide which one to get. They all seem to have some flaws. So pc-GAF, choose one for me. Less then $100, 1tb or under.

FoxSpirit

Okay, got a 6850. Pretty damn good for the money... if not:

*)Drivers: holy hell, Cat 10.12 didn't recognize my 6850? WTF??? Okay, running 10.10 right now
*)luckily people recommended a downclock for the memory, any will do. Otherwise it takes me 20 boots to get the system running. Crazy because it's perfectly stable once it's up.
*)Drivers: why does using SSAA break BC:Rearmed and Darksiders? I know they don't work with MSAA but SSAA does something completely different, they shouldn't break.
*)since the 5xxx series ATI stopped publishing stuff and now PowerStrip won't also not work fully with ATI anymore.

And the good side:
*)proper HDMI connection means purdy colours on my TV without the need for calibration. Verry nice.
*)Played Arkham Asylum with 2xSSAA and got 35-45 FPS average (except for one minor scene where it was puzzling) which is totally playable. Shit looks prerendered. I swear, THIS is graphic perfection and an awesome experience.

TheExodu5

Banned
DanDeschain said:
I'm in the market for a portable HDD. Been looking at them and can't decide which one to get. They all seem to have some flaws. So pc-GAF, choose one for me. Less then $100, 1tb or under.

I suggest you take a hit in space and get a 2.5" drive that powers only off USB. I had a 3.5" portable drive, but it was a pain in the ass since it needed a wall socket adapter to power up.

Corsair really is trying to take over the world.

"Special Edition" white Corsair Graphite Series 600T with a window or mesh panel (looks to be 4 x 120mm fans) for $160

http://www.corsair.com/cases/graphi...hite-graphite-series-600t-mid-tower-case.html
shot2glas11s.jpg
6rhxlu.jpg

Which is fine, but then they go and do something like this...

38460650.jpg
53876590.jpg

15728143.jpg
89118020.jpg

Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Mid-Tower Case $200
http://www.corsair.com/cases/obsidian-series/obsidian-series-650d.html

From the look of it, the interior is largely carried over from the 600T. However, the cooling is said to be improved (one of the 600T's biggest shortcomings) with new fans (1,000rpm against the 600-800rpm of old). More importantly, it seems like Corsair has finely addressed the issue with 600T's top fan layout, which was poorly conceived. If they did, it's likely just a matter of this layout being better suited to the design they were going for. Front panel is aluminum like the rest of the Obsidian line, and the exterior appears to be almost entirely made of metal, though I doubt the steel is the same as the 800D/700D.

Never had a case that was quite this angular, but you would need to employ plastic/rubber or more aluminum to get smooth edges so it's understandable. On the plus side, the HDD dock is SATA 3. While I don't mind the panel clips that much, it would have been nice if the window was better integrated. All in all, it looks like I need to add this to my short list of cases for a new build.

TheExodu5 said:
So this is what my new PC will look like after it's all said and done:

Cooler Master HAF X
Corsair AX850
Gigabyte P67 UD4
Intel Core i5 2500k
Thermalright Venomous X Black CPU Heatsink + Scythe S-Flex 1200RPM
2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333
2x EVGA GTX 570
Intel 80GB SSD (for now)
2x Samsung F4 2TB 5400RPM HDD
Pioneer BD-RW
Scythe Kazemaster Ace Fan Controller

I went really overboard. All in all, $2010 + tax. Yeah.

Oh well...first PC I ever build from scratch (always upgraded gifts/hand-me-downs), so I'm excited. :D

I'm fulfilling the nerd stereotype pretty hardcore right now. Not mom's basement, but I'm still living at home. Saving up for a car and house. Buying a $2000 PC is not speeding things up. :lol
If you haven't ordered yet, have you considered a BD-XL drive? You may as well if you're going with a burner as opposed to a standard ODD.

x3sphere

FoxSpirit said:
*)Drivers: why does using SSAA break BC:Rearmed and Darksiders? I know they don't work

Hum, any form of AA is broken in Rearmed for me. In Darksiders SSAA works fine, though I'm running Cat 10.12a on a 6970.

Smokey said:

1. 3D Surround

At 2560x1600, the 570 is a crippled card with only 1.2GB VRAM. Your only option is a 6970 or 580, the latter of which only offers about 5% more performance on average. Personally I prefer AMD drivers ( yeah crazy me) so I went with the 6970, given that the performance difference is negligible. Price isn't a real concern for me when it comes to computer hardware but it was nice saving around ~$120 too.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Nvidia has a new mobile GPU, revealed at CES, the GTX 485M:

GTX_400M.jpg

First column. Preliminary test show it at the speeds of a desktop 6850.

Don't think I am going to replace my i7 920 yet, as I've yet to even OC it, but I am going to get a 580 I think. Tired of the micro-lag I am getting with Crossfired 4890's and want to go down to a single card.

Is a 570 really enough to max things running at 1920x1200? I don't want to have to buy a new card for at least two years, which is why I am thinking I should jump on the 580.

asdad123

So I just beat crysis warhead with the CCC mod and goddamn the game is gorgeous. It was so awesome playing it on my 50" screen (I played the original crysis on my Asus G50 lol).

Had constant FPS of 40+ with my gtx 460 until the last level. The last level threw me down to about 25 but it was crazy haha.

Mr_Brit

Banned
K.Jack said:
Nvidia has a new mobile GPU, revealed at CES, the GTX 485M:

GTX_400M.jpg

First column. Preliminary test show it at the speeds of a desktop 6850.
No way that thing can match a 6850, I doubt it'd even match a GTX 460.

x3sphere

piratepwnsninja said:
Don't think I am going to replace my i7 920 yet, as I've yet to even OC it, but I am going to get a 580 I think. Tired of the micro-lag I am getting with Crossfired 4890's and want to go down to a single card.

Is a 570 really enough to max things running at 1920x1200? I don't want to have to buy a new card for at least two years, which is why I am thinking I should jump on the 580.

There isn't a big difference between the two at that res, not enough to make or break your gameplay experience anyway. The 580 only really pulls ahead at higher resolutions, like 2560x1600, thanks to the 1.5GB VRAM.

If the 580 was going for around ~$420, it'd be something to consider. But at the current price, you are blowing a lot more money for an improvement you may not even notice over the 570.

Azzurri

Gold Member
·feist· said:

"Special Edition" white Corsair Graphite Series 600T with a window or mesh panel (looks to be 4 x 120mm fans) for $160

http://www.corsair.com/cases/graphi...hite-graphite-series-600t-mid-tower-case.html
shot2glas11s.jpg
6rhxlu.jpg

38460650.jpg
53876590.jpg

15728143.jpg
89118020.jpg

http://www.corsair.com/cases/obsidian-series/obsidian-series-650d.html

From the look of it, the interior is largely carried over from the 600T. However, the cooling is said to be improved (one of the 600T's biggest shortcomings) with new fans (1,000rpm against the 600-800rpm of old). More importantly, it seems like Corsair has finely addressed the issue with 600T's top fan layout, which was poorly conceived. If they did, it's likely just a matter of this layout being better suited to the design they were going for. Front panel is aluminum like the rest of the Obsidian line, and the exterior appears to be almost entirely made of metal, though I doubt the steel is the same as the 800D/700D.

Never had a case that was quite this angular, but you would need to employ plastic/rubber or more aluminum to get smooth edges so it's understandable. On the plus side, the HDD dock is SATA 3. While I don't mind the panel clips that much, it would have been nice if the window was better integrated. All in all, it looks like I need to add this to my short list of cases for a new build.

Damn it, I just got my 600T yesterday, Maybe I'll return it to Amazon and get the 650D

Smokey

godhandiscen said:
edit: Actually since you are going for such a high resolution, you should also look into a 6970.

I was for a second. Actually had this discussion with a couple of other posters a few pages back. I'm leaning Nvidia because of their 3D implementation is superior to AMD and like I mentioned in my previous post one of my scenarios is 3D surround (3 monitors, all 3D) which I can only do with nvidia.

If I do go with the 30'' (no 3D), then I think the 6970 becomes a more attractive option.

iNvidious01 said:

That looks sweet :O.

TheExodu5 said:
I'm surprised. A single GTX 570 plays Metro pretty damned well. Maxed out, 1080p, but with Advanced DOF off, it runs at like 40-50fps, no problem.

Screenshots don't do the game justice. Can't believe how good it looks in motion.

I'd love to hear some impressions on some of your games with the 570 (and SLI when you get the other) since my build will be pretty similar to yours. I think your doing 1080p though right (the 32'' LCD)?

x3sphere said:
At 2560x1600, the 570 is a crippled card with only 1.2GB VRAM. Your only option is a 6970 or 580, the latter of which only offers about 5% more performance on average. Personally I prefer AMD drivers ( yeah crazy me) so I went with the 6970, given that the performance difference is negligible. Price isn't a real concern for me when it comes to computer hardware but it was nice saving around ~$120 too.

I know you game on a 30'' too, so thanks for the insight. It's looking like the 6970 would be the better option for the 2560x1600 scenario of mine, and the GTX 570 SLI for the 3D surround scenario.

This is killing me. I graduated in December and start working later this month and my employer cut a nice check to the school to pay for my last semester. Since I had already taken care of that though the check will be a refund to me:D . So I should start getting this thing moving towards the end of the month. Excited and anxious at the same time!

InertiaXr

Guys, I got a question about building myself a new computer. Few days ago my laptop took a huge power surge and is now dead, and so I am ready to finally build a fully-functional desktop for myself. I'm currently using an old laptop with 1.6GHZ proc and 500MB RAM, so I would like to get this new computer up and running as fast as possible.
I was planning on getting one of the new i5 2500k from Microcenter on the 9th as I'm lucky enough to have one by me. I know the OP doesn't have a $900-1200 build yet, but I was wondering if I could go ahead and order some stuff from newegg hopefully today to pair with the i5 when I get that. I know enough about this stuff that the 2500k uses a new socket so there isn't much in the way of motherboards out yet, so presumably I would have to either order that seperately online or hopefully from a B&M store when the time comes. Again I'm effectively without a computer right now and would like to get a new one up and running ASAP.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mr_Brit said:
No way that thing can match a 6850, I doubt it'd even match a GTX 460.
It matches the 6850's 20k in 3dmark06, gets 12k GPU score in 3dmark Vantage, and gaming benches are very close.

Dirt 2 - Ultra, 4xAA
GTX 485M - 70.3fps
6850 - 72.25

Mafia 2 - 1080p, no PhysX
GTX 485m - 58.3FPS
6850 w/ 2xAA - 49.2fps

Rest of the 485M benches here. It is what it is. On the level of the GTX 460, easily.

TheFatOne

·feist· said:

The 650D is mine. When are they coming out?

TheExodu5

Banned
650D is just what they needed. Made the 700D smaller, gave it improved airflow, and a reduced price tag. I would have definitely considered that case had it have been out.

TheExodu5

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
Same, except it has a FUCKING WINDOW AAAAH.

I'm sure they'll offer a non window panel, just like they do with the 800D.

Too bad it wasn't out sooner. This is basically the case I was looking for. Don't think I'll see myself moving from the HAF X to this, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom