• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoner said:
Few quick questions.

•I have Windows 7 64-bit on my current machine. I've still got the disc and code and all that. Can I still use this on my new machine or do I have to deactivate it or buy a brand new key?
•How easy is it to set up dual monitors?

It's pretty damn easy. Usually it's done by going to the desktop properties menu and selecting the type of monitor setup. You can either have them mirror each other or can have them be 1 monitor.

ithorien

So I noticed most of the R3 owners put the extra fan on the bottom of the case. I put mine on the door.

Which would be better for airflow and just general temps?

My R3 rear fan seems loud. Maybe I'm just being picky, but I don't like the low hum of the air. I think I might swap it out for another Noctua...

Ronix

Neo Member
vexvegaz said:
If you dont mind, what exactly were your issues with the gigabyte boards? I was planning on pickin up a gigabyte board to replace this msi gd65 due to its overclockability. I noticed on many SB OC database the gigabyte boards are usually at the top 5 along asus boards..
There really is no reason to not get a Gigabyte motherboard. It is all I have ever used and the one I have now works great! So take what I had said with a grain of salt. I have had the power cycling issue a few though and it seems likes it has been a problem with a few Gigabyte boards and when the time comes to build a new machine, I would like to try an Asus.

It's never fun to have everything else and wait for an item that you RMA.

Edit: I now see you said Sandy Bridge, I am pretty sure the only boards that have had power cycling issues (powering on and off in a never ending cycle) were of the series 5 chipset and more specifically the P55 boards.

It's just idling but I can't believe how quiet this is compared to my 8800GTs I had in here. It's idling at 32C which is nice from the like 70C my old ones idled at from lack of room/good airflow. Can't wait to finish installing the drivers!!!!!!!!!

mike23

Got my replacement drives for my NAS. Replaced one and I'm 60% into resilvering the array. I'll replace the other one before I go to sleep tonight. It's looking like it'll take ~11 hours to resilver the array each time, heh.

I also ordered 2 Intel gigabit pci-e cards for the NAS and one for my desktop. Hopefully I'll be able to aggregate them and transfer data at 2 gigabits/s. My drives can read at that speed even with ZFS and full drive encryption but my Realtek lan on the mobo in my NAS is only doing ~600mbits/s.

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any difference between using a Marvell or Intel SATA 6gb/s port for the average user? I didn't know what I was doing when I was building and connected my main hdd to the Marvell port.

vexvegaz

isoku said:
Is there any difference between using a Marvell or Intel SATA 6gb/s port for the average user? I didn't know what I was doing when I was building and connected my main hdd to the Marvell port.

the intel will be slightly faster, but not significant enough where you will notice it on a day to day use.

if its not any inconvinience, go ahead and switch it

Coldsnap

Not seeing much of a difference between my GTX460 and GTX560 that I just got today. It's probably mostly the shitty non optimized final fantasy xiv I play. Fans are at 40% and GPU heats at 68*C. Also one gpu fan has another noise than the whoosh of the fans, but I'll be damned if I return another video card for being loud.

Velion

Coldsnap said:
Not seeing much of a difference between my GTX460 and GTX560 that I just got today. It's probably mostly the shitty non optimized final fantasy xiv I play. Fans are at 40% and GPU heats at 68*C. Also one gpu fan has another noise than the whoosh of the fans, but I'll be damned if I return another video card for being loud.
Try another game since FFXIV is unoptimized.

Coldsnap

True. Should I expect the GTX 560 to run hotter than GTX 460? I figured if I used the same settings the GTX 560 would have to work less so I could run the fans lower. Turns out I was wrong, I'm at 50-55% fans getting the same temp as I was with my GTX 460 at 38% fans.

Kenaras

Ronix said:
Just google, Gigabyte motherboard power cycling.

I find it insane the 1 out of the 3 would not work though. However, the trouble I've had with Gigabyte will make it easy to switch to an Asus on my next build.

My Google-fu was weak; this is exactly what I needed.

According to the various discussions, this can be caused by a defective processor. I'll wait for the replacement, and if it still doesn't work I'll get an RMA for my motherboard and/or buy a new power supply. If I still can't get it to work after that, it will be time to take it to a repair shop - they should have enough spare parts on hand to isolate the problem component.

ithorien

Coldsnap said:

Like stated above, FFXIV is just the worst to test a rig on.

Vitani said:
Anyone fancy helping me out here? I'll be building two of these (one for me and one for my wife) when I should be getting a nice bonus at the end of this month.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: Pentium 4 (2GHz I think, it's broken atm), 2GB RAM, nVidia GeForce (low-end 7-series iirc)
Budget: £300-£400 each (UK)
Main Use: Gaming + Video Editing
Monitor Resolution: 1280 x 1024, plan to upgrade later
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Portal 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Half-Life 3
Are reusing any parts?: Monitor, keyboard, mouse, and 1 copy of Windows 7 (64 bit) which has never been used.
When will you build?: June 2011
Will you be overclocking?: No

A friend said I should just get two laptops, but I think he's lost his marbles, what are your thoughts on that idea? Another (more sane) friend thought i7 was the way to go, but that seems like a lot of money to me.

Hard drive space isn't a big issue to me, I have a server which hosts all my media so it'd only be a bit of space for (editing) video files and then the rest for games & OS.

Final Cut Pro X is going to be $300 unless it's changed so you might consider a motherboard that is compatible with Mac OSX and dual boot with Windows 7. Gigabyte boards are usually ones with the least hassle.

Got my Lancool PC-K62 case in today. Just need 3 more components and I can start building my rig.

Last 3:

Mobo
GPU
SSD

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot about the monitor.

Quadratic

I just placed a preorder for a Mionix Zibal 60 keyboard. http://www.mionix.net/page.php?al=zibal60 Anyone with first hand experience with mechanical keyboards give an opinion on this model? It had cherry black MX keys. Wondering exactly how loud these keys can get. This will be my first mechanical keyboard, and it's the only backlit one I like the design of.

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
vexvegaz said:
the intel will be slightly faster, but not significant enough where you will notice it on a day to day use.

if its not any inconvinience, go ahead and switch it
Switching a SATA port won't mess with anything in the OS right?

vexvegaz

issues are always possible when it comes to switching things around. but in my experience, it shouldnt be any problem.

edit: just tried it, switched all drives connected to the intel controller to marvell. first bootup under marvel was slow but no substantial issues such as driver conflicts.

remember, ymmv due to difference in hardware.

Hawk269

Just an FYI....

EVGA just released the GTX-580 w/3 Gigs of Video Ram. Card sells for $589.99. Just in case anyone is needed a beast of a card with lots of Vram for extreme resolutions and insane AA, there's the card for you!

Smokey

Hawk269 said:
Just an FYI....

EVGA just released the GTX-580 w/3 Gigs of Video Ram. Card sells for $589.99. Just in case anyone is needed a beast of a card with lots of Vram for extreme resolutions and insane AA, there's the card for you!

ummmmmmmmmm....fuck

$90 more than the ASUS GTX 580 I ordered...feeling like I should send that back when I get it in a few days and cop this.

edit: $594 to be exact after shipping is applied...

clav

Quadratic said:
I just placed a preorder for a Mionix Zibal 60 keyboard. http://www.mionix.net/page.php?al=zibal60 Anyone with first hand experience with mechanical keyboards give an opinion on this model? It had cherry black MX keys. Wondering exactly how loud these keys can get. This will be my first mechanical keyboard, and it's the only backlit one I like the design of.
I tried a Cherry MX Black keyboard (SteelSeries) at a Fry's store just a few weeks ago. The keyboard wasn't loud compared to other mechanical keyboards I've tried.

It has absolutely no tactile feedback compared to the Cherry MX Blues, and the key presses felt stiff and more like a membrane keyboard. I'm glad I didn't buy it.

You might like it though. Does the site have a nice return policy?

Hawk269

Smokey said:
ummmmmmmmmm....fuck

$90 more than the ASUS GTX 580 I ordered...feeling like I should send that back when I get it in a few days and cop this.

edit: $594 to be exact after shipping is applied...

Well Smokey, to me if you are getting a 580 might as well get the 3gb one. For one, it further future proof's you, if future games use a bit more vram, you have the room to crank up even more insane AA on your games cause you have the Vram to do it. I know some will say this amount of vram would generally be used for those game at higher than 1080p rez and multi-monitor set ups, so it also depends on what you gaming set up is going to be like.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, my computer has taken to sounding like a jet engine whenever I play a game and then shutting off after about 4-5 minutes. I've can o' aired it out. Is that indicitive of the fan on the GPU going out, and if so, how can I tell what kind of card goes into my current mobo?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
WanderingWind said:
So, my computer has taken to sounding like a jet engine whenever I play a game and then shutting off after about 4-5 minutes. I've can o' aired it out. Is that indicitive of the fan on the GPU going out, and if so, how can I tell what kind of card goes into my current mobo?
msi after burner to measure gpu temp and fan (and set up a profile)
furmark / kombustor to load gpu
real/coretemp to measure cpu
load it with prime95/occt

everything in op
gpu <95C
cpu <65C

idle doesnt matter

WanderingWind

Hazaro said:
msi after burner to measure gpu temp and fan (and set up a profile)
furmark / kombustor to load gpu
real/coretemp to measure cpu
load it with prime95/occt

everything in op
gpu <95C
cpu <65C

idle doesnt matter

Okey dokey.

EDIT: Okay, well, my GPU is ramping up to 100C while the game is operating. Since that's as high as the graph number goes, I'm assuming that's bad. Guess I was right?

Kalnos

Banned
Anyone ever had any luck selling old parts? Either bundled or individually? I'm thinking Ebay, but technology on Ebay has been meh for me before.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
WanderingWind said:
Okey dokey.

EDIT: Okay, well, my GPU is ramping up to 100C while the game is operating. Since that's as high as the graph number goes, I'm assuming that's bad. Guess I was right?
You can increase that number in the settings.
Is the fan speed maxed at 100%?
If so, then I'd look into replacing the thermal paste or RMA.
Kalnos said:
Anyone ever had any luck selling old parts? Either bundled or individually? I'm thinking Ebay, but technology on Ebay has been meh for me before.
Forum/CraigList/eBay

element

I got my i2500k up and running but I have been noticing hiccups in the performance. Nothing is smooth really. Even with vsync on when playing games, it hitches at times. not sure what is up.

Any ideas?

mike23

element said:
I got my i2500k up and running but I have been noticing hiccups in the performance. Nothing is smooth really. Even with vsync on when playing games, it hitches at times. not sure what is up.

Any ideas?

I don't know what I'm talking about, but the answer I always see for a vsync question is "triple buffering". So, you could try that.

Other than that, it could be a HD/SSD issue and it's hiccuping when it tries to read something from the disk.

Sanjay

Coldsnap said:
Got my 560GTX-TI Twin FrozrII in, sending back my GTX 460. Going to start testing it out now and comparing it to my GTX 460.]

We want numbers! from what I heard the 560 Ti is a 460 oced.

tafer

Ok, GAF I'm sorry I have to ask this but my google-fu is not working well and it is pretty late.

I'm having some nasty crashing issues with games and after some testing everything points to the CPU:
- Memtest86+: 100%, 0 errors
- OCCT: After 10 Minutes, windows stops responding: no reaction from anything, no mouse, no keyboard (no ctrl-end-del, num-lock/caps-lock doesn't change). To turn off the machine I have to press the on/off button for a few seconds, then I can restart immediately.

CPU temperature: On BIOS 40C, On Windows 30C, On OCCT 50-51C (top).
After restarting the machine the BIOS reads (again) 40C.

Under normal/light (browsing/movies) use the machine performs fine.

NO overclocking applied, other than the default settings of the Motherboard. (Maybe there was something I had to change?)

Windows doesn't record anything about the crash other than the PC was rebooted badly. (Event viewer)

Build details (Age: 2 weeks):
- ASUS P8P67
- Intel i7 2600k
- Neptua NH-D14
- ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 - GF GTX 570
- G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8GB DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - unbuffered - non-ECC
- Corsair Enthusiast Series 750-Watt v2
- Windows 7 Professional
- The PC is connected to an UPS (1500VA)
- Intel 320 Series 120 GB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 2.5- SSD
- Another old 640GB HDD, 7200RPM/SATA 3Gb

I apologize if this is not the proper place for this, but I'm not sure where it should go.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
First, visually inspect everything, unplug and replug all connections.

Then try and limit what you can:
1 stick of ram
ssd only
nothing else plugged in that you dont need

See if it happens again

knitoe

tafer said:
Ok, GAF I'm sorry I have to ask this but my google-fu is not working well and it is pretty late.

I'm having some nasty crashing issues with games and after some testing everything points to the CPU:
- Memtest86+: 100%, 0 errors
- OCCT: After 10 Minutes, windows stops responding: no reaction from anything, no mouse, no keyboard (no ctrl-end-del, num-lock/caps-lock doesn't change). To turn off the machine I have to press the on/off button for a few seconds, then I can restart immediately.

CPU temperature: On BIOS 40C, On Windows 30C, On OCCT 50-51C (top).
After restarting the machine the BIOS reads (again) 40C.

Under normal/light (browsing/movies) use the machine performs fine.

NO overclocking applied, other than the default settings of the Motherboard. (Maybe there was something I had to change?)

Windows doesn't record anything about the crash other than the PC was rebooted badly. (Event viewer)

Build details (Age: 2 weeks):
- ASUS P8P67
- Intel i7 2600k
- Neptua NH-D14
- ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 - GF GTX 570
- G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8GB DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - unbuffered - non-ECC
- Corsair Enthusiast Series 750-Watt v2
- Windows 7 Professional
- The PC is connected to an UPS (1500VA)
- Intel 320 Series 120 GB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 2.5- SSD
- Another old 640GB HDD, 7200RPM/SATA 3Gb

I apologize if this is not the proper place for this, but I'm not sure where it should go.
This only happens with games? If so, leaning more to video card drivers or video card itself. Have you tried running Prime95 with small fft to test the CPU? Have you tried updating to latest Bios? What's the current version? Go into Bios > Advanced Mode > Ai Tweaker, make BCLK: 100, Memory Frequency: DDR3-1600MHz and manually set the correct DRAM Voltage.

Vitani

mrklaw said:
you reusing the case/PSU/DVD drive?

H61 based motherboard - £50
i5-2500 - £160 (i3-2100 - £90)
4GB RAM - £35
1TB samsung spinpoint HDD - £40
MSI 1GB GTX460 - £120

total £400 (i5)/£330 (i3)

i5-2500 + P67 motherboard is ideal, but i3 should be fine for gaming - certainly on the games you list. Plus you could always update your CPU in a year or two. You might need a new PSU too, depending what you have that you can reuse. Around £35-40 for a decent one (TR recommend antec earthwatts 380).

I wont be re-using the PSU or case (the PSU is dead, and the case is SFF, which I want to move away from) but thanks for the advice, I never even thought that an i3 would be good enough for gaming, so that's nice to know. I can re-use my HDD I guess (but I only have one, so would still need another), so I could use that money to buy a copy of Windows 7.

Thanks again!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
WEGGLES said:
In the market for a laptop. Looking at the Lenovo X220. It's for a programming course in college. (Who knew a EEE PC 1005HA couldn't do any sort of heavy lifting? haha)
I have one configured for $899. It has i5 2410M CPU, and I'd buy 4GB memory from newegg separately. Should I buy now or wait until closer to when I need it? I don't need it until September. Regular price is $1559. Are "back to school" sales likely to be better than saving ~$660? Should I bite now? (I'm sure it's fine but... is a i5 2410M an appropriate CPU for programming? Should I bump up to the i5 2520M for $55? Would I be fine to drop down to the i3 2310M and save $50?) I have the cash now, but if it's likely there will be better deals in the summer I'd rather hold out.

The CM Hyper 212 is a great cooler and should fit just fine in that case.

i5-2410m is a good balanced CPU. Good bit faster than the i3. I'd try and keep it there, but if you need/want to save some money, the i3 should do you ok too. Price seems expensive but is it a business laptop? Should be able to get an i5-2410m with 4GB for $500-600 easily - they're £400 in the UK

does it have discrete graphics? If you want to do any gaming it might be worth getting one with discrete graphics.

element

mike23 said:
I don't know what I'm talking about, but the answer I always see for a vsync question is "triple buffering". So, you could try that.

Other than that, it could be a HD/SSD issue and it's hiccuping when it tries to read something from the disk.
I've got a 460 GTX 1 GB and I turned the frame rate on. It was stuck at 60 fps with vsync on and 200+ with it off. SSD was next on my list.

Coldsnap said:

FFXIV doesn't even benefit that much from my GTX 470 SLI setup. There are places where it still drops to ~30 fps even with video card power to burn. The game is ridiculously CPU-bound in many places where you would expect GPU-bound, probably because the engine is designed for PS3's combination of ridiculous Cell processor and wimpy-ass RSX GPU and so a lot of stuff that would otherwise be done by the GPU on a PC is being "off-loaded" to the CPU. I'll see GPU usage anywhere from 50-100% on both GPUs in SLI, and when GPU usage is below 100% that's when the CPU is the limiting factor.

If you want to see a difference in GTX 460 and 560, first off you're gonna OC the shit of out of until it cries, and second you're going to play Crysis or Metro 2033. You'll see the difference right away in those games.

Debating trying out an SSD, primarily for Windows. Much of a difference from the standard HD brands? Anything in particular I should be looking at?

Planning on building a gaming PC sometime this year (hopefully summer to late summer) for BF3, SC2, Civ5 and others. What size monitor do most of you use? I'm thinking I'd like to go 27" but if it's too hard to feed that at native res, I'd rather go 24". Looking to spend around $1500 for the whole package (including the monitor) so I'm guessing I'll be in the $300-350 range for a GPU. Is this realistic - GPU in that price range that can drive a 27"?

Smokey

Hawk269 said:
Well Smokey, to me if you are getting a 580 might as well get the 3gb one. For one, it further future proof's you, if future games use a bit more vram, you have the room to crank up even more insane AA on your games cause you have the Vram to do it. I know some will say this amount of vram would generally be used for those game at higher than 1080p rez and multi-monitor set ups, so it also depends on what you gaming set up is going to be like.
Yep that's how I feel. Tried placing order last night but the page wouldn't load to the checkout screen. Figured maybe it was a sign and went to bed. I'll try again here in a few and see if I have some success.

WanderingWind

Okay, so it's the CPU and the GPU that are fried. Time for a new PC.

I'm guessing getting a new system and swapping my old HD in the new system won't work, right? So I need to backup everything and reinstall it on the new HD?

ithorien

WanderingWind said:
Okay, so it's the CPU and the GPU that are fried. Time for a new PC.

I'm guessing getting a new system and swapping my old HD in the new system won't work, right? So I need to backup everything and reinstall it on the new HD?

If you're saying this thing is 2 weeks old, RMA the bad parts; that's pretty unacceptable of a young build. If you do that, you can keep your Windows install and it'll be fine when you replace the CPU/GPU.

element said:
I've got a 460 GTX 1 GB and I turned the frame rate on. It was stuck at 60 fps with vsync on and 200+ with it off. SSD was next on my list.

Vsync locks the FPS to your monitor's refresh rate, it's not really "stuck".

WanderingWind

ithorien said:
If you're saying this thing is 2 weeks old, RMA the bad parts; that's pretty unacceptable of a young build. If you do that, you can keep your Windows install and it'll be fine when you replace the CPU/GPU.

No, it's a couple years old. So, just taking the old HD and putting it into a new system doesn't work then?

ithorien

WanderingWind said:
No, it's a couple years old. So, just taking the old HD and putting it into a new system doesn't work then?

It's a really sketchy situation. Pretty complicated process depending on all the variables- OS, motherboard, etc.

And sorry, I mistook your post for tafer's; it's early and I skimmed through :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom