• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitani

Thanks for the advice, I guess that the coolers that come with the CPU and graphics card would suffice, so long as I get a few good case fans to keep the air moving?

intel-ces-01111.jpg

Intel press event on Wednesday is “its most significant technology announcement of the year”
http://venturebeat.com/2011/05/02/i...nificant-technology-announcement-of-the-year/

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
·feist· said:
http://cdn.venturebeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/intel-ces-01111.jpg[/IMG

[B]Intel press event on Wednesday is “its most significant technology announcement of the year”[/B]
[url]http://venturebeat.com/2011/05/02/intel-press-event-on-wednesday-is-its-most-significant-technology-announcement-of-the-year/[/url][/QUOTE]

:O oh my

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Kenka said:
Octuple-core unlocked Ivy Bridge CPU for 149 $ on Day 1. I call it.

that would be enjoyable.

Joking aside, what could this possibly hint to?

edit : I'm guessing breakthroughs within the manufacturing?

Jaxter09

Dammit, Windows 7 won't install. I just spent the day building my new PC, put W7 on a flash drive (old DVD drive won't connect to new mobo.) The setup loads fine, but everytime I click install on my HDD, it tells me "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition" and that's that. This is so frustrating urggghghgh

Jaxter09 said:
Dammit, Windows 7 won't install. I just spent the day building my new PC, put W7 on a flash drive (old DVD drive won't connect to new mobo.) The setup loads fine, but everytime I click install on my HDD, it tells me "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition" and that's that. This is so frustrating urggghghgh
Did you do Advanced?

Kenka

Corky said:
that would be enjoyable.

Well, there are rumors about Intel producing the next series of ARM CPU for the i-line of products for Apple. The reason : Samsung is behind the curve, technologically-wise. Intel could have reasonably given the A5 the 32nm treatment.

Could that be this announcement ? Intel would flush the Atom then.

Ploid 3.0

astroturfing said:
GODDAMNIT DUDE. i just started Mass Effect and met Saren. is your username a spoiler?

WHY did i click this thread

I don't know myself but I'm cracking up, sorry if it's true. Dang you shouldn't even think about it, but as it goes, the more you try to forget or not think about something the more you dwell on it. The guy shouldn't reply because he'd just spoil that the person is either bad, or good. Maybe he means naughty bad. Yeah that's it.

Sanjay

astroturfing said:
GODDAMNIT DUDE. i just started Mass Effect and met Saren. is your username a spoiler?

When you met him did he say how lovely you were and how much he likes you?

TheExodu5

Banned
Kenka said:
Octuple-core unlocked Ivy Bridge CPU for 149 $ on Day 1. I call it.

Hexacore for $300 on 1155. 2011 to be a high-end socket with only extreme edition CPUs running with 8 cores ($600+).

That's my bet.

astroturfing said:

You find out he's bad like 2 minutes into the game.

mrklaw said:
35W TDP are still all 2-core? Thought they'd be able to have some quad cores in there. chances of the low end MBP getting a quad core?
2c/4t is likely to remain the peak for entry models, at least for another few product cycles. That way Apple can keep consumption at a minimum (since the display draws so much, anyway) and have more built-in step up incentive for pricier models.

Kenka said:
Corky said:
that would be enjoyable.

edit : I'm guessing breakthroughs within the manufacturing?
Well, there are rumors about Intel producing the next series of ARM CPU for the i-line of products for Apple. The reason : Samsung is behind the curve, technologically-wise. Intel could have reasonably given the A5 the 32nm treatment.

Could that be this announcement ? Intel would flush the Atom then.
Both good possibilities. The Apple contract would be a major win, and just build on their relationship with Intel.

There are various manufacturing wins that Intel can pull from, like their SSD process tech partnerships. Of course, there's that whole die-stacking thing...

TheExodu5 said:
You find out he's bad like 2 minutes into the game.

yeah he killed Nihlus, but since i'm only 2 minutes into the game, how the hell could i know if he's really bad or not. maybe Nihlus deserved it!

Felix Lighter said:
I'm sure he's joking, unless he quit playing 10 seconds into his introduction.

i'm not joking, i really just did start my Mass Effect journey.. finally got a PC that can run the first game. and i've avoided all spoilers until this day, all these years..

ok ok i admit it, i knew he was evil the moment he was introduced.

Vitani

Anyone fancy helping me out here? I'll be building two of these (one for me and one for my wife) when I should be getting a nice bonus at the end of this month.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: Pentium 4 (2GHz I think, it's broken atm), 2GB RAM, nVidia GeForce (low-end 7-series iirc)
Budget: £300-£400 each (UK)
Main Use: Gaming + Video Editing
Monitor Resolution: 1280 x 1024, plan to upgrade later
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Portal 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Half-Life 3
Are reusing any parts?: Monitor, keyboard, mouse, and 1 copy of Windows 7 (64 bit) which has never been used.
When will you build?: June 2011
Will you be overclocking?: No

A friend said I should just get two laptops, but I think he's lost his marbles, what are your thoughts on that idea? Another (more sane) friend thought i7 was the way to go, but that seems like a lot of money to me.

Hard drive space isn't a big issue to me, I have a server which hosts all my media so it'd only be a bit of space for (editing) video files and then the rest for games & OS.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
·feist· said:
2c/4t is likely to remain the peak for entry models, at least for another few product cycles. That way Apple can keep consumption at a minimum (since the display draws so much, anyway) and have more built-in step up incentive for pricier models.

Both good possibilities. The Apple contract would be a major win, and just build on their relationship with Intel.

There are various manufacturing wins that Intel can pull from, like their SSD process tech partnerships. Of course, there's that whole die-stacking thing...

which is not great if you want a quad core but don't want a big screen..

quad core with HD 3000 would be a good compromise. you want discrete graphics, buy the 15"

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Vitani said:
Anyone fancy helping me out here? I'll be building two of these (one for me and one for my wife) when I should be getting a nice bonus at the end of this month.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: Pentium 4 (2GHz I think, it's broken atm), 2GB RAM, nVidia GeForce (low-end 7-series iirc)
Budget: £300-£400 each (UK)
Main Use: Gaming + Video Editing
Monitor Resolution: 1280 x 1024, plan to upgrade later
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Portal 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Half-Life 3
Are reusing any parts?: Monitor, keyboard, mouse, and 1 copy of Windows 7 (64 bit) which has never been used.
When will you build?: June 2011
Will you be overclocking?: No

A friend said I should just get two laptops, but I think he's lost his marbles, what are your thoughts on that idea? Another (more sane) friend thought i7 was the way to go, but that seems like a lot of money to me.

Hard drive space isn't a big issue to me, I have a server which hosts all my media so it'd only be a bit of space for (editing) video files and then the rest for games & OS.

you reusing the case/PSU/DVD drive?

H61 based motherboard - £50
i5-2500 - £160 (i3-2100 - £90)
4GB RAM - £35
1TB samsung spinpoint HDD - £40
MSI 1GB GTX460 - £120

total £400 (i5)/£330 (i3)

i5-2500 + P67 motherboard is ideal, but i3 should be fine for gaming - certainly on the games you list. Plus you could always update your CPU in a year or two. You might need a new PSU too, depending what you have that you can reuse. Around £35-40 for a decent one (TR recommend antec earthwatts 380).

Everyone building a new comp is using Windows 7 64 right? not 32 anymore?

seems like SSDs have alot of reliability problems such as freezing and such by reading reviews... i hope they fix the problem.

Kenaras

Ronix said:
Hate to say it Kenaras, but I don't think it's the CPU, I have every right to believe it's a bad motherboard. I had the same thing happen on a Gigabyte P55-UD3 where it would just loop on and off for continuously until the power supply was turned off. A new motherboard solved everythng. If you read into it, it seems like a problem with some Gigabyte boards.

Well, that would be very upsetting. I've tried three different motherboards - one H55-USB3 and two P55-USB3s. All three behaved this way - but they're all Gigabyte motherboards. Judging from the symptoms, the motherboard was my first thought as well. That's why I replaced it twice before moving on and searching for another culprit.

Stantron said:
I'm not sure what my room ambient is, but I'd guess around a cool 24C.
I don't doubt the performance of the 212+. My understanding is that the NH-D14 has at least as good thermal performance, if not better, and is quieter, which I prefer. Bang for buck though, 212+ is probably the way to go.

Right. Especially if temps are coming in higher than normal and there are things that can be done/fixed to improve the numbers. Speaking as someone new to PC building, I just want to make sure that I'm doing things correctly and optimally. I can see how this comes off as paranoid, lol. Also, good to know I'm not the only one with a delinquent core. Is this normal, or should they usually be the same temp, give or take?

What thermal paste are you using? Maybe the rest of computer gaf will laugh at me for this but I'm a big supporter of the IC Diamond thermal paste. I personally like it better than the one every seems to recommend the Arctic Silver. Also what are the fans like in your case. Maybe you're just not getting enough cooler air into it.

For me I'm running a i5 2500k at 4.3ghz with an average idle around 28 - 31. (Though today I'm at like 35 - 36 because our AC is broke and its fucking hot out there today) Load under Prime95 it'll hit like mid - high 60s. I've got a 212+ with 2 fans in the push pull set up, and I'm in a Thermaltake A60. Which kind of sucks for cable management, (and add to that my own level of being horrible at cable management), but has awesome fans in it.

I think I could take the overclock higher to at least 4.5, but I'm pretty damn happy with the set up as is, and its giving me an insane performance level. The fact that I can scrub in Maya with 2 character rigs set to high display level, with wrap deformers going has me really happy with it.

momolicious said:
Everyone building a new comp is using Windows 7 64 right? not 32 anymore?

seems like SSDs have alot of reliability problems such as freezing and such by reading reviews... i hope they fix the problem.

64bit is the way to go.

Depends on what SSD it is. From what I have been reading, Intel are the most reliable SSD's out there.

vexvegaz

Ikuu said:
My SSD died the other week, going back to mechanical drive is so painful =(

my ocz vertex 2 died last night :( it was fine for a week or two then yesterday, i rebooted and during post the bio failed to recognize the drive. i tried installing in on several pc's and laptops but no luck, the drive is dead. luckily, tigerdirect is sending me a intel 320 120GB ssd that will hopefully be much more reliable than this ocz.

Ronix

Neo Member
Kenaras said:
Well, that would be very upsetting. I've tried three different motherboards - one H55-USB3 and two P55-USB3s. All three behaved this way - but they're all Gigabyte motherboards. Judging from the symptoms, the motherboard was my first thought as well. That's why I replaced it twice before moving on and searching for another culprit.
Just google, Gigabyte motherboard power cycling.

I find it insane the 1 out of the 3 would not work though. However, the trouble I've had with Gigabyte will make it easy to switch to an Asus on my next build.

vexvegaz

Ronix said:
Just google, Gigabyte motherboard power cycling.

I find it insane the 1 out of the 3 would not work though. However, the trouble I've had with Gigabyte will make it easy to switch to an Asus on my next build.

If you dont mind, what exactly were your issues with the gigabyte boards? I was planning on pickin up a gigabyte board to replace this msi gd65 due to its overclockability. I noticed on many SB OC database the gigabyte boards are usually at the top 5 along asus boards..

Windam

Scaley member
Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a new CPU heatsink. I have a Phenom II X4 955 BE and the stock heatsink sounds like a jet engine (especially whenever I play Bad Company 2). I was wondering if the CM Hyper 212 Plus would be a good investment. Also, from the reviews, I've read it is quite large, so I was also wondering if it would be able to safely fit in an Antec 300 Illusion.

Just built my first PC, I'm so happy! Never have to buy an over priced computer with preloaded junk on it again! I'm getting my 6950 2gb in the mail in the next couple days, just in time for the Witcher 2. I've been out of the pc game for so long, anybody recommend some awesome games that will push my hardware a bit? And by the way, whats a good program to test the speed of my system?

WEGGLES

In the market for a laptop. Looking at the Lenovo X220. It's for a programming course in college. (Who knew a EEE PC 1005HA couldn't do any sort of heavy lifting? haha)
I have one configured for $899. It has i5 2410M CPU, and I'd buy 4GB memory from newegg separately. Should I buy now or wait until closer to when I need it? I don't need it until September. Regular price is $1559. Are "back to school" sales likely to be better than saving ~$660? Should I bite now? (I'm sure it's fine but... is a i5 2410M an appropriate CPU for programming? Should I bump up to the i5 2520M for $55? Would I be fine to drop down to the i3 2310M and save $50?) I have the cash now, but if it's likely there will be better deals in the summer I'd rather hold out.

Windam said:
Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a new CPU heatsink. I have a Phenom II X4 955 BE and the stock heatsink sounds like a jet engine (especially whenever I play Bad Company 2). I was wondering if the CM Hyper 212 Plus would be a good investment. Also, from the reviews, I've read it is quite large, so I was also wondering if it would be able to safely fit in an Antec 300 Illusion.
The CM Hyper 212 is a great cooler and should fit just fine in that case.

Kalnos

Banned
Windam said:

I had an Antec 900 and Zalman CPU cooler of same size as that one and it fit with some room to spare, I think you will be fine.

Coldsnap

Got my 560GTX-TI Twin FrozrII in, sending back my GTX 460. Going to start testing it out now and comparing it to my GTX 460. Now if only I can silence my hard drives, they are now the loudest things in my build... maybe a SSD next year.

2ajulu1.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
Coldsnap said:
Got my 560GTX-TI Twin FrozrII in, sending back my GTX 460. Going to start testing it out now and comparing it to my GTX 460. Now if only I can silence my hard drives, they are now the loudest things in my build... maybe a SSD next year.

SSD is definitely the best thing you can do to silence your build at that point. No more endless HDD seeking when idle. After that, it's on to case vibrations (again, mostly caused by the HDDs).

Coldsnap

That's the thing thats killing me is case vibrations. Theres a HMMMM -pause- HMMMM throughout my case which starts at my hard drives, travels up the bays, and vibrates the case. When the computer is on the floor I set it on four upside down crystal cups, so the vibrations dont travel to the floor, actually sorta silents it.

Does anyone know good computer stores in Ontario? I'm in BC and usually shop at NCIX, but am going to be moving to London, ON (2 hours outside Toronto I think?) this fall and I'm wondering if I should wait and build a computer then.

Thanks.

vexvegaz

Coldsnap said:
That's the thing thats killing me is case vibrations. Theres a HMMMM -pause- HMMMM throughout my case which starts at my hard drives, travels up the bays, and vibrates the case. When the computer is on the floor I set it on four upside down crystal cups, so the vibrations dont travel to the floor, actually sorta silents it.

this thread might be of some interest..
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8240&sid=a5b70867e9beb3ea8abaf494035401af

good luck!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Few quick questions.

•I have Windows 7 64-bit on my current machine. I've still got the disc and code and all that. Can I still use this on my new machine or do I have to deactivate it or buy a brand new key?
•How easy is it to set up dual monitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom