• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quadratic

claviertekky said:
I tried a Cherry MX Black keyboard (SteelSeries) at a Fry's store just a few weeks ago. The keyboard wasn't loud compared to other mechanical keyboards I've tried.

It has absolutely no tactile feedback compared to the Cherry MX Blues, and the key presses felt stiff and more like a membrane keyboard. I'm glad I didn't buy it.

You might like it though. Does the site have a nice return policy?

It's NCIX.com so it's a reputable place. I'm also picking it up in person at one of their retail outlets. It's a lot to spend on a keyboard ($150) but since it's used so often like a mouse or monitor I can justify spending some extra cash to get a nice one. Green LED's are also nice because everything seems to be blue or red.

Velion

Installed my Crucial M4 64GB SSD yesterday everything is fine so far.

L6ckt.png

Coldsnap

So with an i5 2500k, gtx 560, and 4 gigs of ram can I play some games that look really good? I usually don't play many PC games other than MMO's but I sorta go a curiosity. What games should I check out?

Coldsnap said:
So with an i5 2500k, gtx 560, and 4 gigs of ram can I play some games that look really good? I usually don't play many PC games other than MMO's but I sorta go a curiosity. What games should I check out?

Metro 2033 for a showcase.

Rubixcuba

Banned
PC Gaf,
I'm looking into buying a used copy of Windows Vista for my new PC, so that I can then upgrade It and my old PC to Windows 7 with the upgrade pack, thus hopefully saving myself some money.
Is this an advisable course of action ? Do used OS retail packages even work ?

ithorien

Rubixcuba said:
PC Gaf,
I'm looking into buying a used copy of Windows Vista for my new PC, so that I can then upgrade It and my old PC to Windows 7 with the upgrade pack, thus hopefully saving myself some money.

From what I remember, the copy doesn't have to be activated for the upgrade to work.

Rubixcuba said:
PC Gaf,
Install Windows 7, but don't put in the key. After it's installed, open it again and reinstall Windows. It'll think it's an upgrade.

What single card solution would 2 5850s in Crossfire be close to? I'm having trouble passing up the Sapphire prices on those cards right now and am thinking of putting them into a new 2500k build.

Coldsnap said:
Only good looking games?

I'd recommend Metro 2033, Crysis (2), Mirrors Edge (although this is pretty subjective), Shogun: Total War.

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
Saren is Bad said:
Install Windows 7, but don't put in the key. After it's installed, open it again and reinstall Windows. It'll think it's an upgrade.
This is what I did. And save yourself some more money by finding someone with an .edu email to buy you a $30 copy with their student discount.

Jin34

Well I asked for help on sub $50 speakers but I couldn't resist the allure of a good pair of speakers so I'm looking at the M-Audio and was wondering about the difference between the AV30 ($99 on amazon) and the AV40 ($149) and if there are better choices in that range.

scogoth

letsbereasonable said:
What single card solution would 2 5850s in Crossfire be close to? I'm having trouble passing up the Sapphire prices on those cards right now and am thinking of putting them into a new 2500k build.

GTX 580 would be the only single GPU card comparable.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Saren is Bad said:

So just buy Window 7, install on both and on either PC don't put in key, follow your instructions and it'll think it upgraded itself ?

Rubixcuba said:
So just buy Window 7, install on both and on either PC don't put in key, follow your instructions and it'll think it upgraded itself ?
Correct. Pretty much that disc is a full Windows 7 install, but the CD key is an upgrade. So assuming you have 2 keys, that's that will work.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
hmm , manually installing sp1 for win 7 now because of some wierd issues. anyway its been going on for about an hour and the bar hasnt moved for like 20min, should I freak out?

edit: nvm it moved it mooooved!!!

ithorien

Corky said:
hmm , manually installing sp1 for win 7 now because of some wierd issues. anyway its been going on for about an hour and the bar hasnt moved for like 20min, should I freak out?

I still haven't touched SP1, not sure if I want to.

Saren is Bad said:

There's a registry change where you only have to install it once, change the registry value, put in the upgrade key, get registered. I did it and it was insanely easy.

Syphon Filter said:

Hmmm. IIRC running two 460s in SLI is faster, cheaper and generates less heat than the 580. Otherwise looking good for the most part.

Thought of adding an SSD yet, or want to save money?

Rubixcuba

Banned
Clarifying, is the CD key thing for buying the full version of Windows 7 or the upgrade versions ? If so the 3 pack or single ones ?
Which one :)

Darklord

Banned
3 quick questions.

- I want a new geforce card. What's the one to buy currently? Is it the 570?

- I haven't installed a video card in a looooong time. Are they easy to do these days? Like whip the old one out, stick the new one in?

- If my 260GTX runs at a fairly normal heat should I think about getting any better fans? Or will what I have and the stock GPU fan be alright?

Thanks. :)

Windam

Scaley member
Just making a little update with my question. I was considering the CM Hyper 212 Plus, but am now considering the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (mainly due to the easier install; apparently, you don't need to install a backplate to use it). It seems like a decent enough cooler, but I've read about some problems with interfering with the ram on AMD builds due to the orientation. Worth it, or should I just go with the Cooler Master?

Azwethinkweiz said:
There's a registry change where you only have to install it once, change the registry value, put in the upgrade key, get registered. I did it and it was insanely easy.
Yeah that works too I'm just always paranoid they'll fix it.

Corky said:

edit: nvm it moved it mooooved!!!
I remember it takes fucking forever

Windam said:
Just making a little update with my question. I was considering the CM Hyper 212 Plus, but am now considering the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (mainly due to the easier install; apparently, you don't need to install a backplate to use it). It seems like a decent enough cooler, but I've read about some problems with interfering with the ram on AMD builds due to the orientation. Worth it, or should I just go with the Cooler Master?
Seems like some reviewers notice no difference in temps with the arctic vs stock cooling. The hyper is more in depth installation wise, but would say its definitely worth it

Omiee

question for the people with a vertex 3. I only have 60gb vertex 2 right now.
And im thinking of buying a vertex 3 120gb.
What differences will i notice with games and windows.
With the 60gb version i could only install 3 games or so, i think with the 120gb i could install 10 games easy.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just installed the high-flow bracket and backplate on my gtx 580. Looks even better in person than I thought it would.
Also ordered Portal 2 on amazon and another ssd. Can't wait for the weekend.

Ithorien mentioned a few pages back that the two 'deactivated' parts in the $1000 build would be back soon, does it usually take more than a week? I'm in 'oh my god new PC' mode over here.

Kalnos

Banned
Advance_Alarm said:
can you put a windows 7 upgrade disk into a newly assembled computer?

Yeah, but you're going to have to do one of a few methods to install it as a fully licensed install. I.E. You can install it as a trial and then install it again and that tricks it into thinking you had a previous Windows install and are upgrading.

There are registry ways around it too, but I don't know them.

Anyone put an SSD into a slightly older laptop? Wonder if it's worthwhile. I have a Dell D630, 1.8ghz core 2 duo. Current HDD size is 120GB.

Wallach

My new Das Keyboard arrived today (w/ browns). Soooooo nice. Got damn.

Also retired my MX518 after 3 years. Trying a Black Death Adder this time after finding out it has a shape pretty close to the old IM3.

scogoth

Omiee said:
question for the people with a vertex 3. I only have 60gb vertex 2 right now.
And im thinking of buying a vertex 3 120gb.
What differences will i notice with games and windows.
With the 60gb version i could only install 3 games or so, i think with the 120gb i could install 10 games easy.

No difference really in performance on a day to day use. Games will load faster

chixdiggit

GAF: Need advice.
Thinking about going wireless for mouse and keyboard. Currently I have a MX518 and a Saitek Cyborg that I love. Problem is that my PC is about 5 feet from where I game and the cables are just a pain. Will I have lag from 5 feet? What do you recommend? Money isn't really an object as long as it works. I am more worried about lag than features.

TheExodu5

Banned
chixdiggit said:
GAF: Need advice.
Thinking about going wireless for mouse and keyboard. Currently I have a MX518 and a Saitek Cyborg that I love. Problem is that my PC is about 5 feet from where I game and the cables are just a pain. Will I have lag from 5 feet? What do you recommend? Money isn't really an object as long as it works. I am more worried about lag than features.

Razer Mamba

Damn bro I put together almost exactly the same system! I decided to go with a 750 tx power supply though. I'm also running the evga 580 superclocked and a 2600K processor. If I were you I would get the new EVGA 580 with 3gb ram on board. I believe it's only $80 more and it will give you even more future proofing! I went with the ASROCK p67 extreme 4 board. Very happy with it!

And go with 8gb of ram. You're cutting your self off at the knees with only 4.
Syphon Filter said:

TheExodu5

Banned
chixdiggit said:
So I shouldn't have a problem with lag at 5 feet? Any keyboard recommendations?
Any thoughts on this? Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse G700

No clue about the Logitech.

The Razer is pretty much completely lagless. Offers options for 1000Hz polling, and it can also be used as a wired mouse if you want to. The only downside to it is that the battery life is really short...around 10-15 hours.

Dosia

Ok so it looks like I don't need the pro as I wont be utilizing SLI. The only diff I see is the gigabit LAN with the pro having 1 (Intel), and the other just 1. What exactly is the diff?

The Teachinator said:
Damn bro I put together almost exactly the same system! I decided to go with a 750 tx power supply though. I'm also running the evga 580 superclocked and a 2600K processor. If I were you I would get the new EVGA 580 with 3gb ram on board. I believe it's only $80 more and it will give you even more future proofing! I went with the ASROCK p67 extreme 4 board. Very happy with it!

And go with 8gb of ram. You're cutting your self off at the knees with only 4.

Why 8gb of ram? I was told 4 gb is enough for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom