• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roarer

cartman414 said:
Or... you can also get a 27" iMac and use it as your PC display. Best of both worlds!

Wait, what, how? Is this something you can do on higher end iMacs? Because I don't think I can do it on my 21" one (from 2009).

TheKurgan

DONE! Now to turn it on and see if it catches fire =P

5378637879_312b4e9c6f_b.jpg

I am thinking the $50 let NCIX build it option is a good deal...

TheKurgan said:

Gotta say...that is some good cable management with that Corsair PSU. I have the same one and my job is not nearly as good :lol

mclaren777

MikeE21286 said:
Gotta say...that is some good cable management with that Corsair PSU. I have the same one and my job is not nearly as good :lol
My cable management is rather sloppy right now and that's intentional. Once I turn it on and make sure that everything is working properly for a week or so, then I'll go back and rearrange the cables to be more tidy.

I would hate to invest a lot of time/effort and then realize that my motherboard is a dud.

Shaneus

How good are those Coolermaster cases, though? So, so happy with mine. The eSATA dock on top is proving much more useful than I anticipated, too.

Roarer said:
Wait, what, how? Is this something you can do on higher end iMacs? Because I don't think I can do it on my 21" one (from 2009).

It's to my understanding that on the newer 27" models you can do this via a cable. And considering the price differential between a 27" iMac and a dedicated 27" monitor of the same quality (which is to say, high-end), it's quite the steal.

Cipherr

MikeE21286 said:

Well, IMO, the issue is that for the $50 he paid to assemble, he likely could have upgraded to the modular one, and not had to deal with any cable management at all, so the build would have been just as clean. Couple that with buying the parts individually at the best prices from various retailers instead of going with NCI only and that would be even more money saved.

I dunno, whatever works, but man I dont think I could ever again suggest not building yourself.

outsidah

Slavik81 said:
So what SSD should I be getting for my gaming desktop?

Crucial M4 aka Micron C400 - due out in Feb

DeathNote said:
How much will it be and when will it come out?

Edit: looks like there is already one on the market? http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/product/XZ037UA%23ABA

I am typing from it right now :)

Korranator said:
So is $234 a good price for a 128g Crucial RealSSD C300? Or is it better to wait till the C400s get released next month for possible cheaper prices?

That IS a good price for a C300, but I'd be best to wait for Feb for the C400 aka M4.

BMX Bandit said:
Any price set for the C400 SSD yet?

Nope, but it should be cheaper than the C300. No exact due date other than Feb either.

I can't wait.

Gloomfire said:
New page. Is the EVO monitor still considered very good?

I've been going crazy with this same issue. The EVO monitor is still good, but I think there are better options right now. I am looking to buy one of the ASUS LED units. Probably this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236112

I don't have it yet, but it looks like a better candidate.

Roche

Gloomfire said:
New page. Is the EVO monitor still considered very good?

Yeah I'd also like to know too I think I've picked out a relatively good one but it's hard to tell since what constitutes a good monitor is unknown to me.

Salaadin

Im also in the market for a new monitor since it looks like the dent in my ASUS VH236H cant be repaired.

Is LED better than LCD? Im also looking at the one outsidah linked to.

DMczaf

Any idea when Sandy Bridge notebooks are coming?

I'm not trying to buy a gaming notebook, I just need one for school but I might as well wait til the new hotnesses come.

Salaadin said:
Im also in the market for a new monitor since it looks like the dent in my ASUS VH236H cant be repaired.

Is LED better than LCD? Im also looking at the one outsidah linked to.

traditional backlit LCD monitors are lit at the edges (where the bezel is) LED is uniformly lit and looks so much better.

JoeBoy101

Shaneus said:
How good are those Coolermaster cases, though? So, so happy with mine. The eSATA dock on top is proving much more useful than I anticipated, too.

Fucking love mine to death. Need to get some interior pics and post them this weekend. Think runs so smooth, cool, and quiet compared to my previous machine.

Coming in here pretty ignorant, so apologies for a basic question: Is there much laptop discussion in this thread, or is there a better one? I'm going to purchase a laptop for work/gaming, and would like to have a pretty nice one that doesn't have an Alienware "gamer" look (can't walk into many business meetings with one of those). I was just wondering if there was a GAF consensus on manufacturer/features/etc.

Salaadin

Angelus Errare said:
traditional backlit LCD monitors are lit at the edges (where the bezel is) LED is uniformly lit and looks so much better.

Cool thanks, Thats just what I needed to know.

Any thoughts on this monitor?
ASUS VH238H

Its specs look nearly identical to my current ASUS VH236J except its LED. I worry that there are no reviews for it yet. My big concern with the one outsidah posted above is that a lot of the reviews mention ghosting.

x3sphere

DMczaf said:
Any idea when Sandy Bridge notebooks are coming?

I'm not trying to buy a gaming notebook, I just need one for school but I might as well wait til the new hotnesses come.

Next month/March

There are a few out right now but all of them seem to be gaming tailored, not what I want either.

Salaadin said:
Cool thanks, Thats just what I needed to know.

Any thoughts on this monitor?
ASUS VH238H

Its specs look nearly identical to my current ASUS VH236J except its LED. I worry that there are no reviews for it yet. My big concern with the one outsidah posted above is that a lot of the reviews mention ghosting.

Asus has some good stuff

Ghosting isn't nearly a big a problem as it was back in the early 2000s. with a 2ms gray to gray you'll be completely fine. All in all a solid choice.

CaLe

Alright guys, I changed a bit the parts of my new PC... Thoughts ?:

The 2 TB is for storage, the 1TB for applications and games and the SSD for the OS.

Thanks

qwzzhs.jpg

TheKurgan

On stock settings I got a 4666 on 3dmark 11, with a bios flash up to HD6970 and +20% power I ended up with a 5170. Not sure if that is good or not...

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/489646

Now I just need to figure out how to overclock the CPU since ASUS auto tune thingy doesn't seem to work. =(

EDIT: If anyone can give me some advice or a link to a overclocking guide for 2500k on the ASUS pro I would appreciate it. =)

ElyrionX

With Sandy Bridge out and GTX 560 impending, is this as good a time as ever to build a new PC?

What about SSDs? Good to pick one up now or will there be massive improvements a few months later? I feel my resistance is rapidly breaking down so I might make do with a regular HDD for now and upgrade to an SSD down the road.

TheExodu5

Banned
TheKurgan said:

What case is that?

Great cable management.

What's with the drive sticking out at the top?

TheExodu5

Banned
CaLe said:
Alright guys, I changed a bit the parts of my new PC... Thoughts ?:

The 2 TB is for storage, the 1TB for applications and games and the SSD for the OS.

Thanks

qwzzhs.jpg

Looks great to me.

Mind posting pics of the innards when you get it? Curious how well NCIX does with the installation.

longdi

Banned
ElyrionX said:
With Sandy Bridge out and GTX 560 impending, is this as good a time as ever to build a new PC?

What about SSDs? Good to pick one up now or will there be massive improvements a few months later? I feel my resistance is rapidly breaking down so I might make do with a regular HDD for now and upgrade to an SSD down the road.

what PC specs u using?
Now is almost a perfect time with Sandy Bridge bringing down the price/perf ceiling, but Intel G3 SSD is delayed till next month. I think Feb would be just perfect, only scared flashable 6950 runs out of stock. If you are free to build a PC next week with launch of GT 560, still have OCZ SSD, buy now + install OS = FTW, rather than reinstall everything down the road.

TheKurgan

Grimm Fandango said:
Looks like the CM690 II Advanced.

And yeah, front bezel looks removed.

Yes - and - Yes

It's a CM960II Advanced and I didn't even notice the front panel was missing =P It's on now. Great case, only got the advanced version for the 140mm fans, but I like the design and build quality.

bozeman

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11612096&cm_re=1-_-flash2-_-BuyersPicks

So, is this any good?

And, no, I can't build my own. I hate putting stuff together and I have fat fingers.

Beside basic web surfing, iTunes, etc, I'd like to increase my PC gaming. Right now I've been using Steam only for older games because my desktop only had 512 mb of RAM, but I'd like to be able to take advantage of sales on games like Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, Bioshock, Mass Effect, etc.

If you couldn't tell already, I don't really have any idea what I'm talking about, but the only real concern I have with this model is the lack of a dedicated video card.

bozeman said:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11612096&cm_re=1-_-flash2-_-BuyersPicks

So, is this any good?

And, no, I can't build my own. I hate putting stuff together and I have fat fingers.

Beside basic web surfing, iTunes, etc, I'd like to increase my PC gaming. Right now I've been using Steam only for older games because my desktop only had 512 mb of RAM, but I'd like to be able to take advantage of sales on games like Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, Bioshock, Mass Effect, etc.

If you couldn't tell already, I don't really have any idea what I'm talking about, but the only real concern I have with this model is the lack of a dedicated video card.

No that is terrible for gaming, for the exact reason you raised a concern about.

TheExodu5

Banned
TheKurgan said:
Yes - and - Yes

It's a CM960II Advanced and I didn't even notice the front panel was missing =P It's on now. Great case, only got the advanced version for the 140mm fans, but I like the design and build quality.

Ahh yeah..would have recognized the CM 690 if it has the front panel on.

bozeman

keeblerdrow said:
No that is terrible for gaming, for the exact reason you raised a concern about.

Could you define terrible? The games I listed aren't exactly resource hogs. I don't need to run Crysis at max settings. I thought the 12 mb of RAM would make up for the lack of dedicated video card.

Nabs

700 bucks for a pc w/o a good card is not worth it. for a little more, i'm sure you could get something with a nice card to go along with it.

"Could you define terrible? The games I listed aren't exactly resource hogs. I don't need to run Crysis at max settings. I thought the 12 mb of RAM would make up for the lack of dedicated video card."

Terrible is terrible. A large amount of system ram will not make any difference in video game performance, even 4GB is enough. A large amount of system ram definitely won't make up for the lack of a discrete GPU.

The onboard GPU might get the games to "run" but at sub 10-FPS on low settings at a low resolution. Yes, it's that terrible.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
bozeman said:
Could you define terrible? The games I listed aren't exactly resource hogs. I don't need to run Crysis at max settings. I thought the 12 mb of RAM would make up for the lack of dedicated video card.
Watch the 15 minute video in the OP and buy the $600 build.
You will be very pleased

Chris R

Building your own rig isn't that hard at all. Fat fingers aren't a hindrance either! It really is just expensive legos for big kids heh.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Teknopathetic said:
If it's that much of a concern, throw 30-40 bucks at someone who can build it for you.
Just have to be wary about people that will latch on to you emotionally and for tech support when you put a rig together for someone!

ElyrionX

longdi said:
what PC specs u using?
Now is almost a perfect time with Sandy Bridge bringing down the price/perf ceiling, but Intel G3 SSD is delayed till next month. I think Feb would be just perfect, only scared flashable 6950 runs out of stock. If you are free to build a PC next week with launch of GT 560, still have OCZ SSD, buy now + install OS = FTW, rather than reinstall everything down the road.

Will be looking at the i5 2500k and probably the 6950 unless the GTX 560 proves to be better, value-wise. Not too sure about RAM, I'm thinking of going with 8GB though from what I've read, it seems a bit of an overkill.

Just looked at the OCZ Vertex 2 SSDs, seems pretty pricey still.

Also, is the Z68 chipset worth waiting for since it supposedly has the new Intel SSD caching feature?

Blackface

Banned
Like I said before, building the PC isn't difficult. Fixing some of the issues that may arise is when the experience factors in.

Most people building custom PC's on the Internet learned by just jumping in and going for it. Some took it further and ended up making IT careers out of it, others keep it up as a hobby. Now-a-days with moderns operating systems and all the standards/companies working together, it has become a very easy task to build a PC, and if you have issues, a quick google search will usually help. It's nothing like the comparability, driver and configuration hell it was many years ago(some Linux distro's can still make you want to shoot yourself though).

You can also look at it like this. Computers aren't going anywhere, and if you can learn to service at least your own PC, you will end up saving thousands of dollars in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom