• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

WEGGLES

Ughghjfkghkhjgfsdlkhgoiwerayfgvlifrgvliurhttouyti

Is there some sort of way, through software or bios, to control fan speed?

I have a Scythe Mugen II Rev B, and I got a fan splitter to use 2 fans on it on the CPU_FAN header. But, when I turn it on... they run full speed non-stop... and it's quite noisy :\

I thought CPU fan was supposed to automatically set the fan speed as needed?

...and I'm not going back to the old set-up until I can get a fan controller. Took an hour and a half putting at second fan in because of how cramped it is in my case from the heat sink...

On the bright side, I'm my i5 750 is oc'd to 3.7GHz, and under full load from Prime95 it's sitting at ~55C... too bad it sounds like a hair dryer :[

These are the fans I'm using

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2916

2 are plugged into the one CPU_FAN header with this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002G1YNQS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

WEGGLES said:
Ughghjfkghkhjgfsdlkhgoiwerayfgvlifrgvliurhttouyti

Is there some sort of way, through software or bios, to control fan speed?

I have a Scythe Mugen II Rev B, and I got a fan splitter to use 2 fans on it on the CPU_FAN header. But, when I turn it on... they run full speed non-stop... and it's quite noisy :\

I thought CPU fan was supposed to automatically set the fan speed as needed?

...and I'm not going back to the old set-up until I can get a fan controller. Took an hour and a half putting at second fan in because of how cramped it is in my case from the heat sink...

On the bright side, I'm my i5 750 is oc'd to 3.7GHz, and under full load from Prime95 it's sitting at ~55C... too bad it sounds like a hair dryer :[

These are the fans I'm using

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2916

2 are plugged into the one CPU_FAN header with this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002G1YNQS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

use speedfan to set up a profile or change the speed in your bios.

Ecto311

Any pointers on how to make a pc force horizontal 60KHz? My parents computer is fine but the asus p221w (I think) is doing 60KHz vertical and 65KHz horizontal that makes a pixel or few dart around and fuck up the entire image. I did google, I did search around and found almost nothing for this specific problem. They have an I3 with windows 7 if that means anything.

Thanks for ANY help... again..

comrade

Teknopathetic said:
the i5 2500k outperforms the i7 950. Handily with overclocking. If it's first and foremost a gaming computer, the only difference is the lack of hyperthreading on the 2500k compared to the 950 which makes 0 difference in game performance. There are some 16x/16x crossfire P67 motherboards, I believe (The Gigabyte P67A-UD7, maybe some others?), but the difference between 8x/8x and 16x/16x is not terribly noticeable, IIRC.
Thanks, I'm going to start piecing it together on Newegg now.

Wow that motherboard is expensive. I actually just listed both my 5850's on Craigslist and am now planning to just buy a more powerful single GPU.

WEGGLES

SuperAwesome said:
use speedfan to set up a profile or change the speed in your bios.
How?

MY bios only seems to let me enable automated CPU_FAN speed, not set it manually.

And no idea how to get speedfan to actually control the speeds of my fans.

I tried setting it up and Speed_1 Speed_2 and Speed_3 will drop... but the ACTUAL speeds don't.

EDIT:

Plugged the fans on the CPU cooler into SYS_FAN2, and the fan working as the upper exhaust into CPU_FAN... and it's quieter.

Sure. there. I fixed it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Drkirby said:
Can anyone recommend a good Defragmenter program? I used one that worked much better then the standard Windows one a while back, And also gave you an idea of which files were the largest, to make getting rid of large unneeded files. I got a new Hard Drive and wanted to defragment the old one after I move over the bulk of the files.
Defraggler

All the Piriform programs are good.

Fredescu

Neiteio said:
Wow, that sounds great! So if I lower the screen all the way, the whole structure, stand and all, is only about 15 1/2... That should fit in this space 17 inches tall then. :)

I'd love to see pics. I'm also hoping to see one in person when I visit Best Buy soon, though the u2410 wasn't listed at their website... Maybe they'll still have them at the actual stores, though.
At about 17" high: http://i.imgur.com/lZogd.jpg
All the way down, about 15.5": http://i.imgur.com/zz7MI.jpg

undu

Drkirby said:
Can anyone recommend a good Defragmenter program? I used one that worked much better then the standard Windows one a while back, And also gave you an idea of which files were the largest, to make getting rid of large unneeded files. I got a new Hard Drive and wanted to defragment the old one after I move over the bulk of the files.
For knowing what files are the largest, I prefer to use a program specialized in that, for example WinDirStat.

For defragging, after many years of trying different software I've settled with weekly defrags using the standard windows tool.
It's limitation is that it only consolidates the hard drive, and does not, for example, arrange the files by recency or more frequently accessesed, otherwise it just works.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Teknopathetic said:
the i5 2500k outperforms the i7 950. Handily with overclocking. If it's first and foremost a gaming computer, the only difference is the lack of hyperthreading on the 2500k compared to the 950 which makes 0 difference in game performance. There are some 16x/16x crossfire P67 motherboards, I believe (The Gigabyte P67A-UD7, maybe some others?), but the difference between 8x/8x and 16x/16x is not terribly noticeable, IIRC.
Indeed, for the majority of GAF, the i5 2500k has 90% of the performance of the i7 2600k in games (And that's before you overclock), yet is $100/£60 cheaper.

Personally, I have just upgraded from a Q9400 (Clocked at a handy 3.6Ghz), so will post specs below, needless to say the upgrade is bigger than even I expected. Games like F1 2010 have been transformed as I finally get 60+ FPS at max settings using 1920 x 1080. The thing is just as cool as my Q9400 was (So ~58degrees under IBT load, ~50degrees in games) at 4.5Ghz using 1.31Vcore. Any higher requires stupidly high Vcore so I think the chip has issues above it.

My 2011 rig:
Intel i5 2500k @ 4500Mhz (Cooled by my old, yet capable Zalman CNPS 9500A, Frio to come when Spring hits)
ASRock P67 Extreme4 (Bought for £115, supports SLI/Tri-Crossfire, a bargain for the money)
4GB Corsair XMS3 (Using 9-9-9-24 Timings, 1.5v)
XFX Radeon HD5870 (Clocked at 970Mhz/5000Mhz, 1.3v)

So £350 (For CPU/Motherboard/RAM) for my rig to enter the next decade, I'm dead chuffed.

JoeBoy101

Router said:
I have gotta stop reading this thread. It makes me want to throw my mac in the bin and start building.

No need to throw it in the bin. Always helps to have backup. But you know you want to.

Deus Ex 3
Diablo III
Skyrim

You know, I mean you must know, they will run so much smoother and prettier on a PC. And who wouldn't want to play just that small snippet of the wealth of gaming riches this year.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Router said:
I have gotta stop reading this thread. It makes me want to throw my mac in the bin and start building.
all the cool kids have MacBook Pros and a custom gaming PC. diversify!

CrankyJay

Banned
Raistlin said:
While I haven't looked, I suspect such built-in capabilities are probably only present in enterprise gear? IIRC APC Powerchute and CyberPower PowerPanel software can be set up do to something like what you're after though. Obviously they only work with their own products though (or at least I assume that). I'd do some research on them to see which seems the best. In the past at least most seemed somewhat flaky. Admittedly it's been a while since I looked however.

I actually use Grid Junction (works with a lot of units), but that's a WHS (FTW) add-in.

Was able to whip up a C# program to notify me when/if Windows 7 switches to battery mode. I'm going to set it up to email/txt me when it goes down.

Stop It said:
ASRock P67 Extreme4 (Bought for £115, supports SLI/Tri-Crossfire, a bargain for the money)

Please let me know how this board is. After hearing of the boot problems with the ASUS P67 boards and the Gigabyte boards not having UEFI, I'm leaning towards the Asrock. I used the Asrock board that had both a PCI-E and AGP slot on it about 5 years ago and that was a very stable board.

Velion

videotape said:
Please let me know how this board is. After hearing of the boot problems with the ASUS P67 boards and the Gigabyte boards not having UEFI, I'm leaning towards the Asrock. I used the Asrock board that had both a PCI-E and AGP slot on it about 5 years ago and that was a very stable board.
Actually the main issue with Asus P67 boards (Cold Boot Issues, Double Post) have been fixed with latest bios update, as well as alot of other minor bugs.

CrankyJay said:
Can you do a full Windows 7 install with just the upgrade disc? I have been able to do this on previous versions of Windows.
This was posted in thread earlier.

mclaren777

CrankyJay said:
Can you do a full Windows 7 install with just the upgrade disc? I have been able to do this on previous versions of Windows.
I sure hope so. I have a legit 32-bit XP disc and an upgrade for 64-bit W7 Ultimate that my college gave me (currently unused). I'm hoping that I won't need to install XP before installing W7U but I keep hearing conflicting stories.

You can read up on the various options here.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
so i finally got around to a nice non-gaming real-world benchmark that justifies the upgrade from my old 3ghz quad core system. i regularly use After Effects for text animation projects, and jump between a 2009 MBP (4GB RAM, 2.53ghz C2D), my old desktop (6GB RAM, 3.1ghz Q6600), and the new starlet (8GB RAM, 4.4ghz SB) while on projects.

rendering a 62-second animation that i completed a few weeks back on the various platforms

MBP (OSX) - 9 minutes, 26 seconds
Q6600 (Windows) - 5 minutes, 41 seconds
2500k (Windows) - 2 minutes

this is going to make my life a LOT easier on longer projects.

Korranator

So is $234 a good price for a 128g Crucial RealSSD C300? Or is it better to wait till the C400s get released next month for possible cheaper prices?

iNvid02

Korranator said:
So is $234 a good price for a 128g Crucial RealSSD C300? Or is it better to wait till the C400s get released next month for possible cheaper prices?

wait for C400, i returned my C300. Its not that its bad its just logical to wait a couple of weeks
for better performance and value

TheExodu5

Banned
scorcho said:
so i finally got around to a nice non-gaming real-world benchmark that justifies the upgrade from my old 3ghz quad core system. i regularly use After Effects for text animation projects, and jump between a 2009 MBP (4GB RAM, 2.53ghz C2D), my old desktop (6GB RAM, 3.1ghz Q6600), and the new starlet (8GB RAM, 4.4ghz SB) while on projects.

rendering a 62-second animation that i completed a few weeks back on the various platforms

Wow...that certainly speaks for itself. The 2500K at 4.4GHz is nearly 3 times faster than a 3.1GHz Q6600.

Salaadin

Just had a small mishap...tossed my keys onto my bed and they bounced straight off and right into my monitor. Now Im left with a tiny scratch or dent thats hardly noticeable but I know its there so its bugging the shit out of me. Is there any way to remove or lessen scratches on an LCD monitor?

My problem isnt so much that the scratch is there but theres a weird glow that comes from each side of it that makes it visible. Any way to reduce this?

Manp

so, on monday i got a 6970 and finally today i had the time to play around with it a bit.

LWzf7.jpg

and holy shit this thing is fast! i'm able to play pretty much everything at max settings with 8x AA/AF at 1920x1080 at steady 60 fps!

Crysis and Metro seems to be the only exceptions, but at least in Crysis case i think i'm greatly held back by my Q9650 that starts to show it's age since i get pretty much the same frame rate with both 0x AA and 4x AA.

all in all i'm very impressed so far.

:)

Flambe

geeko420 said:
SO me and a friend have never built a computer before, but I have some knowledge in upgrading computers. We got all the parts from newegg today and plan on going at it tomorrow. One main question I have is:

Will we be provided with good enough instructions out of the boxes to put this all together, like what cords go where, and what to do after first boot?

I will definitely use this forum to ask questions and such, but I just don't know what to expect. I am anxious and excited.

REMEMBER RISERS ON CASE FOR MOTHERBOARD! =P

Learned that one the hard way.

Don't close the case until it's working is good too, something always fucks up lol

Raistlin

CrankyJay said:
Was able to whip up a C# program to notify me when/if Windows 7 switches to battery mode. I'm going to set it up to email/txt me when it goes down.
I'm pretty sure that is only applicable to a laptop.

So the GTX 560s 'launch' on Tuesday. But when will they actually be available to purchase?

I just ordered a GTX 460 but I have a 30-day refund/replacement from Newegg. If the price and timing are right, I may ship it back and get a 560.

Wallach

The Nature Roy said:
So the GTX 560s 'launch' on Tuesday. But when will they actually be available to purchase?

I just ordered a GTX 460 but I have a 30-day refund/replacement from Newegg. If the price and timing are right, I may ship it back and get a 560.

Probably sometime next week, but you'll want to be watching as they may sell out quickly on first shipment. I don't expect any of them to be under $250 though.

Wallach said:
Probably sometime next week, but you'll want to be watching as they may sell out quickly on first shipment. I don't expect any of them to be under $250 though.
Thanks. I'm sure I'd be very happy with the 460, but I think I can hold off on opening the box for a few days just in case. I'll keep my eyes pealed.

Wallach

The Nature Roy said:
Thanks. I'm sure I'd be very happy with the 460, but I think I can hold off on opening the box for a few days just in case. I'll keep my eyes pealed.

Yeah, I'd wait. Unless you actually need the refund money to make the 560 purchase, then I'd send it back ASAP so you can try to get it processed before they actually start going up.

Wallach said:
Yeah, I'd wait. Unless you actually need the refund money to make the 560 purchase, then I'd send it back ASAP so you can try to get it processed before they actually start going up.
I don't, but I have to see the 560 prices before I decided whether or not the upgrade is worth it to me.

mclaren777 said:
The Antec 902 V3 is definitely an improvement over the current model, but I still think it's inferior to the HAF series.
I wouldn't say inferior, exactly. Some of the negatives that are mentioned against the "Hundred" line of Antecs come down to preference. For instance, the forward facing HDDs may seem old-fashioned, but there's no denying that they allow for greater airflow, even when using fewer/smaller fans.

The Nature Roy said:

You should be to place an order by Tuesday, if not sooner.

EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB 1024 MB GDDR5
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K1EUWO/?tag=neogaf0e-20
51iXpVi6b6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
41Do-0UxIeL._AA300_.jpg

Kalnos

Banned
mclaren777 said:
The Antec 902 V3 is definitely an improvement over the current model, but I still think it's inferior to the HAF series.

It's a huge improvement if for no other reason than the PSU cable holes. I had to use a hole saw to drill them in my 900.

Also, my SSD in my 900 is held by 1 screw, really firm though.

Wallach

I'm actually waiting on notification for that exact card. eVGA is the reason I don't like running an AMD card right now. If these cards come in at the right price I'm buying in and selling my 5850 no questions.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
scorcho said:

That is delicious. I'm upgrading mid-2011 and I wonder how big of a jump it will be from E6750 to 2500k. I wish benchmark sites would consider old gen like mine in current tests just for the fun of it.

mclaren777

·feist· said:
I wouldn't say inferior, exactly. Some of the negatives that are mentioned against the "Hundred" line of Antecs come down to preference. For instance, the forward facing HDDs may seem old-fashioned, but there's no denying that they allow for greater airflow, even when using fewer/smaller fans.
True, but I'm still surprised that it doesn't have a vent in the lower-bottom for the PSU.

Pctx

Banned
·feist· said:

You should be to place an order by Tuesday, if not sooner.

EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB 1024 MB GDDR5
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K1EUWO/?tag=neogaf0e-20
51iXpVi6b6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
41Do-0UxIeL._AA300_.jpg
Yup, on notification of that card as well.

If the price is right, pulling the trigger and my build will be complete on Tuesday.

mclaren777 said:
True, but I'm still surprised that it doesn't have a vent in the lower-bottom for the PSU.
Yeah, that's just absurd. About every revision they've had has been nearly no-cost, and it seems as if they have avoided that one because it would mean adding a filter, slightly reducing their profit per unit sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom