• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
keeblerdrow said:
Roger that. If I had to take one step down from the 6950, where would my foot be best placed?

Maybe a HD 5870? I guess that would save you some money. Maybe wait and see what the GTX 560 has to offer.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Billychu said:
I could have sworn it was there a few days ago but I haven't seen it since the BIOS update.
Advanced Mode > AI Tweaker > Memory Frequency.

Zapages

Zapages said:
Hey guys

I have couple small questions.

What do you guys think of the Dell Zino HD? I am thinking of buying one and connecting it to our HDTV. Then using it stream shows that my parents watch and aside from this maybe play some games on it like Trackmania and play some Wii games that I own. I like the compactness of the Zino HD.

How is the AMD Athlon™ II X2 P340 (2.2GHz/1MB cache) compared to AMD Phenom™ II X4 P940 (1.7GHz/2MB cache)

Aside from is it worth getting Blu-Ray player built in or just getting the one with the DVD +/- RW drive.

Also what is the best wireless keyboard for about the distance of 12 to 18 feet away? Is it worth getting one keyboard with a built in trackball or getting one with a separate wireless mouse.

Option 1:
AMD Athlon™ II X2 P340 (2.2GHz/1MB cache)
4GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
ATI HD5450 Mobility RadeonTM
500GB4 SATA hard drive (7200RPM)
Tray load CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
Dell 1501 802.11 n wireless card

for

$441 + buying wireless keyboard/mouse

Option 2:
AMD Phenom™ II X4 P940 (1.7GHz/2MB cache)
6GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
750GB4 SATA hard drive (7200RPM)
ATI HD5450 Mobility RadeonTM
Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo Drive (BD-ROM, DVD/CD Burner)
Dell 1520 802.11 b/g/n wireless card

for

$686 + buying wireless keyboard/mouse

Anyone guys? What do you guys recommend... Especially on the wireless keyboard. Thanks. :)

geeko

Post was end of last page :

geeko420 said:
SO me and a friend have never built a computer before, but I have some knowledge in upgrading computers. We got all the parts from newegg today and plan on going at it tomorrow. One main question I have is:

Will we be provided with good enough instructions out of the boxes to put this all together, like what cords go where, and what to do after first boot?

I will definitely use this forum to ask questions and such, but I just don't know what to expect. I am anxious and excited.

MedIC86

geeko420 said:
Post was end of last page :

Its pretty straight forward, most cables fit only one way.

Few tips tho:

Dont force stuff into slots etc, most stuff slides in with ease, if something is blocking or stuff like that check it out. dont apply to much force.

Also be really carefull with static electricity, try to ground yourself (you can find guides on the inet how to do that).

And..put in the components one by one so you can focus on connecting one component at a time.

geeko

MedIC86 said:
Its pretty straight forward, most cables fit only one way.

Few tips tho:

Dont force stuff into slots etc, most stuff slides in with ease, if something is blocking or stuff like that check it out. dont apply to much force.

Also be really carefull with static electricity, try to ground yourself (you can find guides on the inet how to do that).

And..put in the components one by one so you can focus on connecting one component at a time.

Cool thanks for the info. Fortunately I have changed HDDs, video cards and ram before so I have the basics down. We also bought a couple anti-static wrist bands (plus I know about touching the metal case before you touch any thing). I will let you guys know how it goes after we start tomorrow. CAN'T WAIT!!

n0n44m

AI tweaker section -> set Memory Frequency to DDR3-1600 (assuming 100 bclk)

only change the new bios brought for me was that the Sleep function now no longer works D:

oh and I can now install the AI Suite software ... auto overclock is pretty fun, it went up to 4950 mhz on my 2600K :eek:

but it is too limited for me ... would be more useful if you can select a maximum voltage or force it to leave the bclk at 100 => it doesn't change the voltage but leaves it at auto, which makes it go too high (for my comfort) at 45+ multipliers

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Can anyone recommend a good Defragmenter program? I used one that worked much better then the standard Windows one a while back, And also gave you an idea of which files were the largest, to make getting rid of large unneeded files. I got a new Hard Drive and wanted to defragment the old one after I move over the bulk of the files.

GAF PC master race, plz evaluate the following system:

PC Specs: (All Boxes for the Hardware are included)

AMD 445 Rana x3 Core @ 3.4GHZ
4GB of G.Skill NS 1333 10666 DDR3 Memory
Asus CuCore 5770 (Brand New bought 5 days ago)
BIOSTAR TA785G3HD AMD 785G HDMI Motherboard
SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R (Dual Layer DVD Burner) Never used
NZXT BETA EVO Classic Series (Case)
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB (AVG read speed is 106)
Corsair A70 CPU Cooler (Very Large Cooler Keeps CPU temps Idle at around 23C)
Logitech Mouse & keyboard Included

(NO Monitor or Windows)

What would you pay for this? It's listed at $475 and he says he built it 3 1/2 months ago for $584. Civ 5 on this thing?

Emitan

n0n44m said:
only change the new bios brought for me was that the Sleep function now no longer works D:
That would explain why it wasn't working when I got home from work. At least it boots properly.

Just put my order in:

1 x ($16.99) DVD BRN ASUS | DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS% - OEM $16.99
1 x ($299.99) VGA HIS|H695F2G2M HD6950 2GB R $299.99
1 x ($64.99) HD 1T|SAMSUNG HD103SJ 32M 7K % - OEM $64.99
1 x ($48.98) CASE CM|CAC-T05-UB BLK/BL RT $48.98
1 x ($69.99) PSU OCZ|OCZ600MXSP 600W RT $69.99
1 x ($129.99) MB GIGABYTE|GA-P67A-UD3 P67 LGA1155 $129.99
1 x ($224.99) CPU INTEL|CORE I5 2500K 3.3G 6M R $224.99
1 x ($99.99) MEM 4Gx2|PATRIOT PGD38G1333ELK R $99.99

Was on the fence for a GTX 570 but the 6950 just seems like a much better buy at the moment, especially with the rebates. Seeing as how a 2500K system with CF 6950 only hits about 500w I might just drop another one in there down the line. Can't wait for next week.

MedIC86

weekend_warrior said:
GAF PC master race, plz evaluate the following system:

What would you pay for this? It's listed at $475 and he says he built it 3 1/2 months ago for $584. Civ 5 on this thing?

Is it his old system ? cpu is a tad slow, gpu is fine tho. maybe negotiate to 425 if its second hand.

sh4mike

If I put thermal paste on, then take the cooler off 20 minutes later to reapply a bit more, is it OK not to scrape off the old paste?

mclaren777

keeblerdrow said:
Okay, this is just ballparking and I'm not absolutely getting everything from one source, but these parts are approximately what I want (I'm perfectly willing to get an equivalent nvidia video card).

Also: I know very little about hard drive manufacturers. Who sucks, what sucks... any light shed on that would be helpful.
My three recommendations: get a HAF 912 case (same price), go with a Spinpoint F3 instead of that WD, and get a 650W PSU.

mclaren777

Snuggler said:
I'm getting closer, it's exciting. I'm expecting that I'll finally have my complete PC in about a month. Can't fucking wait.
Tell me about it. My computer is now fully assembled but my SSD (OS drive) won't be here until next Tuesday/Wednesday.

rabhw

Just thought I'd share a little tip with those who have 2500k/2600k's and ASUS P67 boards. I strongly suggest updating to the 1053 beta bios and enabling "PLL Overvoltage" as described on hardforum.com by an ASUS rep (I'd link to the thread but the forums are down for maintenance.)

Before enabling I couldn't get my 2500k to boot into windows at anything past 4.4ghz, even with vcore pumped to 1.325. After updating the bios and enabling that option, I'm at 4.6ghz, running at LOWER voltages than I needed to keep 4.4ghz stable before the update.

So now I'm at 4.6ghz @ 1.305 vcore. I'm happy with that, I'm gonna stay there I think.

desu

rabhw said:
Just thought I'd share a little tip with those who have 2500k/2600k's and ASUS P67 boards. I strongly suggest updating to the 1053 beta bios and enabling "PLL Overvoltage" as described on hardforum.com by an ASUS rep (I'd link to the thread but the forums are down for maintenance.)

Before enabling I couldn't get my 2500k to boot into windows at anything past 4.4ghz, even with vcore pumped to 1.325. After updating the bios and enabling that option, I'm at 4.6ghz, running at LOWER voltages than I needed to keep 4.4ghz stable before the update.

So now I'm at 4.6ghz @ 1.305 vcore. I'm happy with that, I'm gonna stay there I think.

Got a link to that entry? Just finished getting all the hardware into my case (got the asus pro board). So once I am done with cable management (tomorrow) I want to try out my new system and how well oc goes!

OK GUYS
I'm about to pull the trigger

i5 2500K
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16439
This mobo, in Australia it seems we have some different naming patterns for mobos so it's p67A-C45 mobo...
4GB Ram
2TB HD
60GB SSD
1GB 6870
DVD Drive duh

big thing at this point is

Motherboard- is that a good one? I will be using pccasegear.com more or less for all my parts so if you can find a better one...
Case- I will most likely be getting the Antec Sonata 3 which comes with the 500W Earthwatts PSU

Is there any reason why I shouldn't get this? Is the PSU enough? Is the case secretly shit? It's because it's sooo much cheaper than other cases I see.

Also I heard it's very, very easy to overclock the 2500k and since i will be wanting to emulate PS2/Wii games that would be good for me. Any hints/tips/tricks/websites to go to, or any reason why my config wouldn't be up for this (especially mobo/PSU)

Thanks

-viper-

Banned
geeko420 said:
SO me and a friend have never built a computer before, but I have some knowledge in upgrading computers. We got all the parts from newegg today and plan on going at it tomorrow. One main question I have is:

Will we be provided with good enough instructions out of the boxes to put this all together, like what cords go where, and what to do after first boot?

I will definitely use this forum to ask questions and such, but I just don't know what to expect. I am anxious and excited.
I had no idea how to build a PC myself until I looked at the PC building guide in the OP. Haven't tried it but it looks easy enough. Hopefully all will go well when I buy my parts soon. But I'm kind of waiting for them to drop on price

BTW what is the best mobo for overclocking the CPU? I have never done it before and the process looks horribly complicated. :/

geeko

-viper- said:
I had no idea how to build a PC myself until I looked at the PC building guide in the OP. Haven't tried it but it looks easy enough. Hopefully all will go well when I buy my parts soon. But I'm kind of waiting for them to drop on price

BTW what is the best mobo for overclocking the CPU? I have never done it before and the process looks horribly complicated. :/

Very nice videos, thanks for pointing those out. TIME TO STUDY!

Neiteio

Fredescu said:
The stand lets the screen go all the way down and rest on the base, so the minimum height is about 15 and half inches. Maximum is 19 and a half, so there's quite a lot of travel there. I'll see if I can get pics later on.
Wow, that sounds great! So if I lower the screen all the way, the whole structure, stand and all, is only about 15 1/2... That should fit in this space 17 inches tall then. :)

I'd love to see pics. I'm also hoping to see one in person when I visit Best Buy soon, though the u2410 wasn't listed at their website... Maybe they'll still have them at the actual stores, though.

sestrugen

here is an odd question, how should I position my TX650w? the PSU has an intake fan and my case (Thermaltake V3 Black, PSU is installed on the bottom) has an open intake space on the bottom, should I point the fan towards the bottom or towards the GPU?

also, I am tempted to increase my RAM from 4GB to 8GB by buying a couple of more sticks, will this affect my system power needs? is it worth it?

geeko420 said:
So quick question.

My friend requested in his new computer that we get as much memory as possible into it. We ordered these:

Asus P8p67

and 8 Gb of the g.skill memory

Will we be able to use all this ram in the computer or do I need some other type of ram so that I can go 8 gb. Sorry for the newb question.

That MB has 4 DIMM's so 4x2 GB sticks will work but I recommend getting two 4 gig sticks. You will have room for more later if you want and there will be less chance of one of them going bad.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314&cm_re=g.skill-_-20-231-314-_-Product

n0n44m

geeko420 said:
So quick question.

My friend requested in his new computer that we get as much memory as possible into it. We ordered these:

Will we be able to use all this ram in the computer or do I need some other type of ram so that I can go 8 gb. Sorry for the newb question.

those are fine (but it can fit two 8gb kits for 16 in total .. you said you wanted as much as possible right :D its damn cheap as well at the moment)

here is an odd question, how should I position my TX650w? the PSU has an intake fan and my case (Thermaltake V3 Black, PSU is installed on the bottom) has an open intake space on the bottom, should I point the fan towards the bottom or towards the GPU?

also, I am tempted to increase my RAM from 4GB to 8GB by buying a couple of more sticks, will this affect my system power needs? is it worth it?

if there is intake space and the case has feet that lift it if the ground somewhat then point the fan towards the bottom. But unless your GPU is a energy guzzling card (like my GTX480) the difference in heat shouldn't be that drastic (if there is no filter on the bottom or if your room is sorta dusty you might even want to point it up for that reason)

increasing the ram will barely have an effect on the power usage (couple of watt probably) ... worth it? cost wise definitely with todays prices, not so much for FPS games framerates but other genres as well as a lot of programs can never have too much ram ;)

Jin34

JESUS TITTY FUCKING CHRIST

SgeeZ.png

That's the dual gpu Cayman.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-radeon-hd-6990-sighted/10928.html

It looks like a deformed VHS cassette.

Content question: What advantage would the Radeon HD 6870 have over the 5870? Is there anything about the 6870 that creates an edge over the larger raw power of the 5870?

Shaneus

When Crossfire shit is so (relatively) unoptimised, should we be excited about dual-GPU cards except for the raw power they're capable of?

TheKurgan

Order is all in from NCIX - let the fun begin. Well in the morning anyway. =P

Also would like to mention my Power Supply was late to ship but NCIX was nice enough to overnight it to me at no extra charge so that I could build it this weekend. +1 NCIX!

Jin34

Shaneus said:
When Crossfire shit is so (relatively) unoptimised, should we be excited about dual-GPU cards except for the raw power they're capable of?

Crossfire works much better in the 6000 series from what I've seen reported. Not that I would do Crossfire or SLi anyway with all the other problems.

outsidah

Well it looks like my trust Dell FPW2005 is finally taking a dump on me.

I need a monitor stat.

Any good 2011 recommendations? I was going to buy an SSD but I guess that will be on hold.

I was looking at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ZVCGXQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'd love something as adjustable as my old Dell with USB ports and everything, but I really would like to spend $150 and no more than $200... so I doubt I'll get that.

I'll be using it for browsing and gaming from time to time.. no photo stuff so that's not important. I just want my screen to be clear and easy to read.

comrade

I need help GAF. Building a PC in the $1000 range in a few days.

Can't decide on i5 2500k($179.99) or i7 950($199.99). It's going to first and foremost be a gaming computer. I've got two 5850's I plan to run in CFX and I read that the LGA 1155 socket only supports x8/x8 where the X58 supports x16/x16.

What do you guys think?

the i5 2500k outperforms the i7 950. Handily with overclocking. If it's first and foremost a gaming computer, the only difference is the lack of hyperthreading on the 2500k compared to the 950 which makes 0 difference in game performance. There are some 16x/16x crossfire P67 motherboards, I believe (The Gigabyte P67A-UD7, maybe some others?), but the difference between 8x/8x and 16x/16x is not terribly noticeable, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom