• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

abunai

Any advice?

Is your product key not listed under My computer > right click > properties? Just pop that in when re-installing or install without entering any key, and follow this, using the internet. If that doesn't work, you could always activate via phone. But I've never done it (OEM) first hand so someone else probably knows better than I.

KHarvey16

If you have to call it's just an automated system you type numbers into. Really easy. If you can't find your key, there should be software that will read it from the registry or wherever Windows keeps it.

Ty4on

The air coming from the top exhaust ranges from cool to lukewarm. The air coming out of the PC overall is lukewarm. My last PC (a Dell) could actually increase the ambient temperature of the room after several hours.

Well, whatever gives the lowest temps is best.

PCs heating up the room is normal. Remember that a PC consuming just 300 watt will heat up as much as a 300 watt oven. Pretty much all the energy turns into heat.

Korosenai

Not really a new pc question, but just a pc question in general. Sorry if this isn't supposed to be asked here, but I don't know another thread I could post it in.

So i've had my current laptop since 2008 (Toshiba Qosmio X305), and it is primarily a gaming laptop. It used to be able to run starcraft 2 and other games on low settings, but now 5 minutes into a game, no matter what the settings are, it crashes. Just completely crashes to a black screen. I can't even play minecraft or halo 2 vista for more than 5 minutes.

For reference, here are my stats compared to the minimum you need for halo 2 vista

OO5Um.jpg

What could I do to fix this? I've updated all of my drivers and it still hasn't fixed the problem. And as you can see in the picture I posted, I passed every requirement to be able to play the game.

NZNova

Just upgraded my old Radeon 5870 to a new GTX670. Everything wants to run in ultra settings now :D

Had enough of AMD's bullshit, of their crappy drivers, of their card giving me the grey screen of death that they swear was fixed two years ago. Never again, I used to be an NVidia fan and that Radeon made me remember why I was in the first place.

mkenyon

Banned
Not really a new pc question, but just a pc question in general. Sorry if this isn't supposed to be asked here, but I don't know another thread I could post it in.

So i've had my current laptop since 2008 (Toshiba Qosmio X305), and it is primarily a gaming laptop. It used to be able to run starcraft 2 and other games on low settings, but now 5 minutes into a game, no matter what the settings are, it crashes. Just completely crashes to a black screen. I can't even play minecraft or halo 2 vista for more than 5 minutes.

For reference, here are my stats compared to the minimum you need for halo 2 vista

What could I do to fix this? I've updated all of my drivers and it still hasn't fixed the problem. And as you can see in the picture I posted, I passed every requirement to be able to play the game.
Download HWMonitor, Prime95, and Furmark. Open the first, then the other two and run them. Watch temps, especially anything that passes 90C. I'm not certain what fail temps are on a laptop, so you could also pop into the gaming laptop thread, first link in OP.

Korosenai

Download HWMonitor, Prime95, and Furmark. Open the first, then the other two and run them. Watch temps, especially anything that passes 90C. I'm not certain what fail temps are on a laptop, so you could also pop into the gaming laptop thread, first link in OP.

Thank you, i'll try those out and re submit my post over in the laptop thread.

Muddimar

Not sure if I'm asking this question in the correct thread or not, but, here we go. So I recently bought a usb wireless adapter (Xtreme N Dual Band USB Adapter) and it gets really poor data transfer rates/reception. My router is a Netgear N150, it's located in the living room of my apartment, my PC is in the first bedroom down the hall from it (maybe 30-40 feet?). The router isn't being obstructed or anything, it's out in the open. The usb adapter isn't being obstructed either, my desktop is on top of the desk, not in a hideaway cabinet. So, I've come to the conclusion that the antenna on this usb adapter just sucks for my particular apartment layout and I might need a internal card with a stronger antenna. Can anyone recommend me a PCI wireless router card or a USB wireless adapter with a stronger antenna? One that you can vouch for? So far I'm thinking about going with this (http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0313727) unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Been having a weird issue lately, my computer is giving me low FPS if I have it on for a good portion of the day. It's almost as if it isn't using my gfx card since the fan doesn't kick in or no gpu temp rises when I try to play a game, and the framerate is unplayable. It fixes itself when I reboot but I notice I'm starting to have to reboot every other night it seems. Using a gtx 560ti with 301.42 drivers. Should I reinstall the drivers?

mkenyon

Banned
Been having a weird issue lately, my computer is giving me low FPS if I have it on for a good portion of the day. It's almost as if it isn't using my gfx card since the fan doesn't kick in or no gpu temp rises when I try to play a game, and the framerate is unplayable. It fixes itself when I reboot but I notice I'm starting to have to reboot every other night it seems. Using a gtx 560ti with 301.42 drivers. Should I reinstall the drivers?
Can you give exact details regarding the speculation? What temp is it at, and what is the fan speed at when this is happening?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Can you give exact details regarding the speculation? What temp is it at, and what is the fan speed at when this is happening?

I didn't catch the fan speed last time (I usually have it above 75% in games and it was definitely no where near that) and temp was around 36C, which is what it usually is when I'm not playing a game. And as mentioned earlier, it seems that it occurs when my computer has been on for more than a few hours (5+ hours)

mkenyon

Banned
I know this sounds typical, but you'd be surprised how often it clears up whatever issue is going on.

Uninstall drivers through windows -> Restart -> Run driversweeper/ccleaner to get rid of excess stuff -> Restart -> install latest drivers.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I know this sounds typical, but you'd be surprised how often it clears up whatever issue is going on.

Uninstall drivers through windows -> Restart -> Run driversweeper/ccleaner to get rid of excess stuff -> Restart -> install latest drivers.

Alright, I'll give it a go and see if it works, thanks

HyperionX

Sounds like your laptop is clearly overheating. Probably your fans are clogged with dust.

Smokey

I tried them, it improves things slightly but it didn't fix it completely, I still get a bit of stutter in some games with Vsync on. (680 sli)

Just curious....is this vsync enabled in the NV contol panel or through the games(s) themselves?

Completely fucked up my performance on Deus Ex HR. I'm having trouble starting the game up. Fuck. I have a GTX 570.

That sucks. Have issues with any other games? Did you choose clean install option or upgrade drivers?

Salaadin

Im wondering if anyone can give me any input on this. My rig will be roughly 3 years old this fall and Im looking to see if there are upgrades that will be worth it. Its been a very good system so far and I have no major complaints at all so Im just bouncing ideas around in my head and was hoping for some additional input since I havent been keeping up with this stuff as much as I wanted to.

Mobo: GA-P55-UD4P - only problem here is that its USB 2.0 and SATA 3Gb/s
CPU: Intel i5-750 OCed to 3.4 Ghz - no complaints
GPU: AMD Radeon 6870 - again, no real problems aside from a few AMD only issues with games here and there. I do want to make the switch to Nvidia whenever I upgrade.
RAM: 8 GBs Gskill DDR3
SSD: 64GB Crucial C300
HDD: 640 GB WD Caviar Black
PSU: Antec EA650 - depending on how high I go with an upgrade, this might have to be upgraded too

If I upgrade the mobo, Im going to upgrade the CPU along with it.
Ivy bridge is Intels latest, right? Would that be a worthy upgrade from my i5 750?
Does Nvidia have anything coming soon or is whats out now going to be their line for a bit yet? GTX570 seems like a solid card.

If I do upgrade, I dont want to go higher than 7-800 dollars.

Thanks for any input.

RS4-

Finally swapped out my shitty Saitek Eclipse II after 5 years (when it should've been changed after a month) for a Quickfire Rapid and Logitech G500.

Feels good.

feel

Just curious....is this vsync enabled in the NV contol panel or through the games(s) themselves?
Through the games. Should I try turning it off in the game, and forcing it from the control panel? Guess it can't hurt to try later when I get home. I also need to try doing a clean install (completely removing traces of the previous drivers) and not just installing them on top like I did, I was in a bit of a hurry during lunch break.

mkenyon

Banned
Im wondering if anyone can give me any input on this. My rig will be roughly 3 years old this fall and Im looking to see if there are upgrades that will be worth it. Its been a very good system so far and I have no major complaints at all so Im just bouncing ideas around in my head and was hoping for some additional input since I havent been keeping up with this stuff as much as I wanted to.

Mobo: GA-P55-UD4P - only problem here is that its USB 2.0 and SATA 3Gb/s
CPU: Intel i5-750 OCed to 3.4 Ghz - no complaints
GPU: AMD Radeon 6870 - again, no real problems aside from a few AMD only issues with games here and there. I do want to make the switch to Nvidia whenever I upgrade.
RAM: 8 GBs Gskill DDR3
SSD: 64GB Crucial C300
HDD: 640 GB WD Caviar Black
PSU: Antec EA650 - depending on how high I go with an upgrade, this might have to be upgraded too

If I upgrade the mobo, Im going to upgrade the CPU along with it.
Ivy bridge is Intels latest, right? Would that be a worthy upgrade from my i5 750?
Does Nvidia have anything coming soon or is whats out now going to be their line for a bit yet? GTX570 seems like a solid card.

If I do upgrade, I dont want to go higher than 7-800 dollars.

Thanks for any input.
Honestly, you're at a really good spot still. I would say if anything, I would go PSU, 120hz or large format monitor, and eventually a new videocard. 7xx or 8xxx will probably be your best bet. Put some funds in a savings account for Haswell, which is the next CPU architecture change. You could OC your CPU a bit more too if you wanted.

Remember when you start to hate one side, the grass is always greener on the other side. You are complaining about AMD issues, but look at even the past 4 posts. All NVIDIA driver issues.

You're not really going to see any significant gains from upgrading a 6870 right now. If you have specific needs, like 1440p resolution or 120fps/hz, then I might suggest something else. But if you're in the 'plays great at 1080p' category of desires, you're still set.

Smokey

Through the games. Should I try turning it off in the game, and forcing it from the control panel? Guess it can't hurt to try later when I get home. I also need to try doing a clean install (completely removing traces of the previous drivers) and not just installing them on top like I did, I was in a bit of a hurry during lunch break.

I always do the clean install option. It wasn't clear to me if the vsync issue happened when turned on in game or through the panel. I didn't have any issues with it turned on in BF3.

Bombadil

Banned

That sucks. Have issues with any other games? Did you choose clean install option or upgrade drivers?

I did whatever Nvidia recommends. I downloaded and installed after a notification popped up on my taskbar. Express install.

A few minutes I opened up EVGA precision X and set the target framerate to 60fps. I figured that was the issue that caused the game to be so slow. It worked for a while, and then it went to shit again.

I tried them, it improves things slightly but it didn't fix it completely, I still get a bit of stutter in some games with Vsync on. (680 sli)

ugh, stuff like this is why i'm so scared to buy an nvidia card. even though at times the 670 seems like a tempting card.

do they only stutter with vsync on? dont think i use that.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I finally have success getting my newly built PC displaying on my monitor. But now that I've hooked up my CD drive, it kind of makes a weird noise. I'm not familiar with what type of noise these drives should make... but it sounds loud to me and it was a weird enough noise to make me think "WTF" when I heard it and slightly panic that I had messed something up.

Is this normal and I'm just crazy?

mkenyon

Banned
I finally have success getting my newly built PC displaying on my monitor. But now that I've hooked up my CD drive, it kind of makes a weird noise. I'm not familiar with what type of noise these drives should make... but it sounds loud to me and it was a weird enough noise to make me think "WTF" when I heard it and slightly panic that I had messed something up.

Is this normal and I'm just crazy?
To hell with optical drives! But seriously, who really needs those anymore except for audiophiles?

MrBig

ugh, stuff like this is why i'm so scared to buy an nvidia card. even though at times the 670 seems like a tempting card.

do they only stutter with vsync on? dont think i use that.

Yes, vsync is the problem. Not a hardware problem or anything serious.

To hell with optical drives! But seriously, who really needs those anymore except for audiophiles?

Nope. Nearly all my music is FLAC. I haven't used a CD/DVD (besides with consoles) in the last 4+ years. Windows can be installed with a flash drive and drivers can all be had online. I can't really think of any reason for using physical media myself. 3.5 MB/s FiOS is all I need.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

I'm kind of feeling the same way at this point, honestly. :p Plus, it's giving me a headache with the cables anyways.

It's pretty easy to install Windows 7 from USB, right?

Curufinwe

Any recommendations for a 21-24 inch monitor that sells for $250 or less on Amazon? Will be mainly used for work and web browsing, with some gaming.

K' Dash

oh my God, my parts are arriving to my courier, with luck I'll have everything by friday, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit!

Man, more than a month after the purchase, it was worth every day of waiting :D

cametall

Small update regarding my CPU/case cooling situation.

The boutique who built my PC had both case fans as exhaust, thus the radiator was getting no air in. I flipped it to make it an intake and my temps have dropped by 4-6c idle and load.

Idle is 34-40c and load is 70-76c.

So now I have a rear intake, top exhaust, plus the Noctua coming in tomorrow.

Salaadin

Honestly, you're at a really good spot still. I would say if anything, I would go PSU, 120hz or large format monitor, and eventually a new videocard. 7xx or 8xxx will probably be your best bet. Put some funds in a savings account for Haswell, which is the next CPU architecture change. You could OC your CPU a bit more too if you wanted.

Remember when you start to hate one side, the grass is always greener on the other side. You are complaining about AMD issues, but look at even the past 4 posts. All NVIDIA driver issues.

You're not really going to see any significant gains from upgrading a 6870 right now. If you have specific needs, like 1440p resolution or 120fps/hz, then I might suggest something else. But if you're in the 'plays great at 1080p' category of desires, you're still set.

Thanks a lot for the answers.

Youre right about AMD thing. Sometimes I wonder if I magnify the AMD issues 100x in my head because I have an AMD card and its what Im looking out for. We'll see. I change my mind so much on these things.

I didnt hear about Haswell until you mentioned it. Going to keep an eye on that. Ill be making some extra money starting this week so itll be a good idea to set some of that aside.

And yeah, Im in the "plays great at 1080p" category
A part of me thinks its stupid of me to talk about upgrading when I really have no issues but I cant help it. :p

Septimus

Hey guys, can anyone help me out to build a budget yet moderately good PC? Target resolution is a 23" 1080p monitor and the user probably won't be gaming much, but will do lots of rich media editing. Things like Photoshop, video editing, etc. Budget is around 500 to 600 dollars. Thanks in advance!

JJBro One

how is it that I have 2 670's an i5 2500k and assassin's creed 1 is still chugging in some parts? Shouldn't it run 60fps the whole time no questions asked?

Ceebs

So I am ordering my parts tonight, but still no Asus 670's in stock. Not going to bother waiting either.

My choices seem to be

Gigabyte Windforce
MSI Twin Frozr IV
Zotac Amp!
or just buying a reference model (which I don't really care to)

Which one is going to be my best bet?

stoic-lemon

Neo Member
I'm currently in "my expensive new toy won't boot" hell.

When I first put everything together, it wouldn't even start up. No beep, no display on Dr. Debug. Graphics card lights were on, my phone would charge from the USB port at the back, but it wouldn't do anything other than move the fans for a fraction of a second.

I did all the usual stuff like taking it out of the case, running without the graphics card, moving the RAM around, removing one then both sticks of RAM, trying it with a different PSU, but nothing worked. I'm not building on carpet or anything like that. I sent the motherboard back and got a new one with a note saying they found a fault and exchanged it for a new one.

Same thing all over again with the new board.

Can anybody tell me if bad luck like this is even possible? Two dead AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 boards? Am I missing something?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Anybody know the best way / guide to installing Windows 7 from an external hard drive? I have a disc so I have to make the ISO image. I tried using Microsoft's Windows 7 USB DVD tool, but it said the ISO image I made with ImgBurn wasn't valid.

EDIT: Found a good guide from Tested's Norman Chan. :)

MrBig

Anybody know the best way / guide to installing Windows 7 from an external hard drive? I have a disc so I have to make the ISO image. I tried using Microsoft's Windows 7 USB DVD tool, but it said the ISO image I made with ImgBurn wasn't valid.

Made an ISO from what? You need to install a fresh copy of windows, not image your drive.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Made an ISO from what? You need to install a fresh copy of windows, not image your drive.

I don't have an optical drive installed on my newly created PC, so I need to make a bootable external hard drive but I just have a Windows 7 Home Premium disc.

I found a good guide anyways.

what version of windows you planning to install? This site hosts windows iso's, clean and complete, no stupid pirate crap people use. These iso's still require your own key. They helped me reinstall when my own iso was corrupted

Oh, I didn't realize that was an option. Thanks, but I found another way.

legacyzero

Banned
I'm REALLY praying that a mysteriously awesome deal falls on RIGHT about the time I have the money to afford an awesome GPU.

If I can somehow land a 680 for $400, and would giggle like I did at the thought of actually completing my backlog.

Stop laughing at my outlanding hopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom