• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethos

Banned
Fellow nerds, help.

I'm trying to update the BIOS on my Rampage IV Extreme. Downloaded the latest BIOS and the .ROM -> .CAP BIOS you have to apply first. When trying to apply the latter BIOS, ( It's just an interim BIOS update ) it says that it's no EFI BIOS. I had that problem before with other BIOS updates, telling me the file I'm trying isn't EFI but I sorted that somehow ...

Fresh off Asus' site, unpack to a USB stick and then browse it within the BIOS itself - What am I doing wrong? Was it something about the stick needing to be FAT32?

1-D_FTW

What would give me the best boost, new video card or mobo/cpu?

Current:

Core i3 530 2.93Ghz
8GB Ram
Gigabyte Radeon 6850 1GB
Win 7

Recommendations welcome too! :D

Thanks!

I have a long post about this in the 660ti thread, but GPU. Hyperthreading is actually beneficial to an i3 and since that CPU can even be overclocked to close to 4GHz, you'd get massive bang for the buck with a GPU upgrade. And even for the odd stray like Starcraft or GTA (assuming you want extreme performance), an i3 530 running overclocked would give even those games really nice performance.

Edit: that's assuming you can overclock the CPU. But even if you couldn't, you'd still get better bang with GPU over CPU/motherboard.

Stubo

The Nine Hundred is a nice case (my brother used it in a build) and I didn't know it was updated with USB 3.0, definitely a contender.
The Fractal Arc Midi (my choice) and Fractal R4 are worth a look too.

Edit: This shows the removable dust filter for the bottom PSU fan intake:
FD-CA-DEF-R4-TI_9.jpg

Babalu.

Windows 7 64bit
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 3.0GHz
Antec TruePower TP-650 650W
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
HIS H489F1GP Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit

Here is my current PC. My video card burned out so I need a new one. I have two questions about this PC if you guys could help me out.

1. Is it worth it to upgrade the vid card or just build a new one. If I get something like a radeon 7850 will I be able to play BF3, FFXIV, or Civilization 5 on max settings? Or will there be a bottleneck somewhere?

2. Would a radeon 7850 work with this motherboard? I haven't kept up with computers since I built this in 2008 so i'm not sure if things changed or not.

Thanks for any help.

Stubo

Really liking the look of the Arc Midi.
The cable management options made it really nice to build in. I'm running 5 case fans at the moment so it fits that area of your requirements nicely.

There's lots of nice little features that have combined to make me very satisfied with my choice.

derder

Windows 7 64bit
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 3.0GHz
Antec TruePower TP-650 650W
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
HIS H489F1GP Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit

Here is my current PC. My video card burned out so I need a new one. I have two questions about this PC if you guys could help me out.

1. Is it worth it to upgrade the vid card or just build a new one. If I get something like a radeon 7850 will I be able to play BF3, FFXIV, or Civilization 5 on max settings? Or will there be a bottleneck somewhere?

2. Would a radeon 7850 work with this motherboard? I haven't kept up with computers since I built this in 2008 so i'm not sure if things changed or not.

Thanks for any help.

I was running BC2 1080p with mediumish settings with a x4 965 and a 4850. I upgraded to a 6950 and ended up getting to silky smooth 1080p med-highish settings in B3.

You should also look into getting a 570, it's that inflection point in the performance/$ curve and you have the PSU for it. Make sure it would fit in your case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127682

Fou-Lu

The cable management options made it really nice to build in. I'm running 5 case fans at the moment so it fits that area of your requirements nicely.

There's lots of nice little features that have combined to make me very satisfied with my choice.

Awesome, I think I know what I'll be getting then. Final build:

CPU: i5 3570K
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB and Crucial M4 64GB
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG
Case: Fractal Arc Midi
PSU: Corsair HX750
Monitor: Crossover 27" 2560x1440

Came in quite a bit more expensive then I meant to, by the time I buy the monitor and a keyboard (which I still haven't chosen, any recommendations?) I'll probably be set back around $1700-$1900. Any objections or substitutions?

statham

to piggyback on my last question, can I put a 125 watt cpu in a 95watt cpu old slot, if I upgraded the power supply?

zedge

I have a long post about this in the 660ti thread, but GPU. Hyperthreading is actually beneficial to an i3 and since that CPU can even be overclocked to close to 4GHz, you'd get massive bang for the buck with a GPU upgrade. And even for the odd stray like Starcraft or GTA (assuming you want extreme performance), an i3 530 running overclocked would give even those games really nice performance.

Edit: that's assuming you can overclock the CPU. But even if you couldn't, you'd still get better bang with GPU over CPU/motherboard.

Thanks for that. Can you suggest a good (not super expensive) GPU? Is the 7850 a good one?

Thanks for that. Can you suggest a good (not super expensive) GPU? Is the 7850 a good one?

The 7850 provides great performance per dollar, its a great card. If you can stretch the cash spring for a 2GB version, though a 1GB version will serve you well nonetheless.

Jex

there is a link in the op that talks about it here.

http://www.innovationcooling.com/applicationinstructions.htm

Gives info on the different methods of applying, how good they work and what is the objective (not to get a lot of trapped air via "bubbles".

If you are somewhat impatient you could mount the cooler that comes with the cpu since iirc it comes with thermal paste already on the contact. But then when the cooler arrives you would have to remove the first one and clean off the paste before installing the other cooler.

so i would say wait a bit so you dont have to do it twice.

Thanks!

Fjordson

there is a link in the op that talks about it here.

http://www.innovationcooling.com/applicationinstructions.htm

Gives info on the different methods of applying, how good they work and what is the objective (not to get a lot of trapped air via "bubbles".

If you are somewhat impatient you could mount the cooler that comes with the cpu since iirc it comes with thermal paste already on the contact. But then when the cooler arrives you would have to remove the first one and clean off the paste before installing the other cooler.

Total newb question here, but uh..should I buy some thermal paste? I'm getting a Cooler Master heatsink that comes with some, but is there like higher end shit I should be buying?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Total newb question here, but uh..should I buy some thermal paste? I'm getting a Cooler Master heatsink that comes with some, but is there like higher end shit I should be buying?

The paste that comes with the CM 212 is fine... you can get a better performing thermal compound if you like, but the difference will so minor (about 1 degree) so it's not necessary.

1-D_FTW

The 7850 provides great performance per dollar, its a great card. If you can stretch the cash spring for a 2GB version, though a 1GB version will serve you well nonetheless.

If money's tight, that is a good choice. I wouldn't recommend a 1GB version when it's only saving around 20 dollars or so though. Quite a few games go over that now. Why limit yourself.

AMD is switching the bundle promotion from Dirt: Showdown (yuck) to Sleeping Dogs pretty soon. So it shouldn't be long before he can get a 2GB with Sleeping Dogs for 199.99 - 209.99 range.

Pepboy

Could someone please suggest a new video card?

CPU: i7 930 2.8 GHz
RAM: 12 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 (somewhat for work)
Motherboard: ASUS P6x58D-E
GPU: RADEON HD 4600 [Ancient, Looking to replace]

I'm hoping to spend under 250, ideally looking for something where the price recently fell. I don't want to pay 50% extra for 10% performance. Currently considering:

This Radeon 6590 Labor Day Special.

I really like AA and consistent fps, but don't care much about resolution, looking for good performance around 1920 x 1028. Not looking to OC, I just use out of box. I'd like the card to be okay for about 1.5-2 years, don't need to futureproof 3 years out.

EDIT: Sorry I missed the recent suggestion for 7850:

AMD is switching the bundle promotion from Dirt: Showdown (yuck) to Sleeping Dogs pretty soon. So it shouldn't be long before he can get a 2GB with Sleeping Dogs for 199.99 - 209.99 range.

Are you thinking a week, or more like 2 months? I'd kind of like to wait for promotion and lower price but I keep putting this off.

http://www.anandtech.com/print/6175

Supposedly in the next couple weeks.

its already started but newegg are not doing the 7850s (only the 7870 and 7950) right now, if at all.

Edit: on another look all the 7850s that had dirt showdown packaged with it no longer have it. hmmmmmm? (maybe it will happen after all)

Thanks! Would this be an okay 7850 to go with? I don't know how much manufacturer matters or if there's a preferred 7850 model.

EDIT: Looks like they've already started?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125418

It's pushing close to what I was willing to pay but looks like a good deal?

This is the 7870 which is the bigger brother and performs better (though you can apparently get a 7850 to perform near it once overclocked). Not sure if its worth it and no one has answered my question asking about it :(

Evlar

Banned
Any compelling reasons not to purchase an OEM copy of Windows 7? I'm not planning to call Microsoft Support when a printer driver won't install or anything of that sort.

The other option is to try to use the Upgrade version from my old computer, but I really would prefer to do a clean install this time.

cackhyena

I can't believe how back and forth I am on deciding a GPU. Now I was set on a 670, but for 329.99 on New Egg, with a free copy of Sleeping Dogs, I can get the 7950 3GB. I mean, that is the clear choice here, right?

Dipswitch

Any compelling reasons not to purchase an OEM copy of Windows 7? I'm not planning to call Microsoft Support when a printer driver won't install or anything of that sort.

The other option is to try to use the Upgrade version from my old computer, but I really would prefer to do a clean install this time.

OEM version works well - popped it on my folks new build last year. I just jumped through major fucking hoops to use my Windows 7 upgrade version for my new build this past weekend. It wouldn't accept the upgrade keys for the fresh install (Unsurprisingly), so I had to put my old hard drive containing my former Win 7 build into my new rig just to run the upgrade. That caused the OS drive letter for my new install to get screwed up. Took me 4 Goddamn installs of Win 7 to get it right. Never again.

So yeah, don't be a cheap sap like me and get the OEM version. Far less hassle all around.

Prologue

Been toying with the idea of building a pc for the first time. Battlefield 3 has caught my interest a lot. When you guys are investing in a machine, what other games are you considering?

Sethos

Banned
Damn, I BIOS upgraded my Rampage IV BIOS yesterday and they finally reworked the entire BIOS initialization process. Anyone familiar with ASUS' BIOS screens after hitting the power switch it's usually; "Hit DEL for Setup" screen ... few seconds. Black screen a few seconds, "DEL" screen again and more waiting AND THEN 10-12 seconds later it actually moves on.

Latest iterations takes about 4-5 seconds and then I'm basically at the Windows load screen. It's so nice. Goes even faster if I'm using my keyboard as PS/2 but it doesn't recognize the DEL press, so I had to switch. Then the screen is only display for one silly second.

So if anyone has an ASUS board or at least a higher end one, and want to shave some seconds off booting highly suggest it upgrading the BIOS to their latest Windows 8 compatible ones. Probably need to go through a longer process with the .ROM -> .CAP conversion and then flashing with the updated BIOS.

I'm 4-5 seconds short of the mythical 10-second-boot now.

Ledsen

Hey guys! Trying to mount an old NEC ND-3550A DVD in my Fractal R3. Problem is, the DVD drive is so wide I had to remove the clips on the side. Now it's just wide enough to fit snugly in the slot, but it's not secured in any way :( Are old DVD's simply wider than new ones or am I doing something wrong?

Side question: which cables do I need to connect to it? Looks like this: http://e.kotear.pe/original/214390/...2np20-conector-ide-color-negro-1282107193.gif I have cables for the two rightmost ones that I can see, haven't checked the smaller ones.

longdi

Banned
Damn, I BIOS upgraded my Rampage IV BIOS yesterday and they finally reworked the entire BIOS initialization process. Anyone familiar with ASUS' BIOS screens after hitting the power switch it's usually; "Hit DEL for Setup" screen ... few seconds. Black screen a few seconds, "DEL" screen again and more waiting AND THEN 10-12 seconds later it actually moves on.

Latest iterations takes about 4-5 seconds and then I'm basically at the Windows load screen. It's so nice. Goes even faster if I'm using my keyboard as PS/2 but it doesn't recognize the DEL press, so I had to switch. Then the screen is only display for one silly second.

So if anyone has an ASUS board or at least a higher end one, and want to shave some seconds off booting highly suggest it upgrading the BIOS to their latest Windows 8 compatible ones. Probably need to go through a longer process with the .ROM -> .CAP conversion and then flashing with the updated BIOS.

I'm 4-5 seconds short of the mythical 10-second-boot now.

yes you can also turn off those un-used asmedia/marvell sata controllers for even faster boot.
other things to turn off is the asus boot logo
and change the something something boot time to 1s.

CRS

Any errors = RMA time. Set your RAM voltage and timings manually in the BIOS if you haven't.

Yeah, I figured. :/ Found the bad stick so a new one should be arriving next Wed. or so. And since I opened up my PC, decided to do a quick clean and was pleasantly surprised with the temperature drop. The drop wasn't anything crazy but at least a few degrees or so. Also, I am getting tired of compressed air cans and I think I remember someone posting about a really effective small mechanical air compressor. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Hey guys! Trying to mount an old NEC ND-3550A DVD in my Fractal R3. Problem is, the DVD drive is so wide I had to remove the clips on the side. Now it's just wide enough to fit snugly in the slot, but it's not secured in any way :( Are old DVD's simply wider than new ones or am I doing something wrong?

Side question: which cables do I need to connect to it? Looks like this: http://e.kotear.pe/original/214390/...2np20-conector-ide-color-negro-1282107193.gif I have cables for the two rightmost ones that I can see, haven't checked the smaller ones.

This is a IDE drive and unless you have a old motherboard in that computer case it wont be supported anymore since those connectors are no longer on the boards.

Get a new drive since they now use just SATA.

link to some as they are cheap ($15-$20)http://www.newegg.com/store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=5&Tpk=dvd burner

Yeah, I figured. :/ Found the bad stick so a new one should be arriving next Wed. or so. And since I opened up my PC, decided to do a quick clean and was pleasantly surprised with the temperature drop. The drop wasn't anything crazy but at least a few degrees or so. Also, I am getting tired of compressed air cans and I think I remember someone posting about a really effective small mechanical air compressor. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

iirc this should be it

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346572828&sr=8-2&keywords=mini+vacuum+for+pc

benjobong

Neo Member
I'm based in the UK, and looking to buy a custom-built gaming PC. Budget is around £800, happy to go a little over for any major improvements.

Looking at the stores recommended in the OP, http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/Mass-Effect-i5-4-3Ghz-94p1248.htm looks like a good bet. PC Part Picker shows that theyre not overcharging hugely. Adding in an SSD doesn't cost too much extra, so I'll do that.

My question is whether there are any other alterations to that build that would be useful (The cooler and the PSU, perhaps?). Or, if there are any better builds that gaf has found for this sort of price? I'm pretty unfamiliar with building or buying PCs, so I've mainly been going off the guide in the OP for what a decent PC is considered to be.

Ledsen

This is a IDE drive and unless you have a old motherboard in that computer case it wont be supported anymore since those connectors are no longer on the boards.

Get a new drive since they now use just SATA.

link to some as they are cheap ($15-$20)http://www.newegg.com/store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=5&Tpk=dvd burner

iirc this should be it

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346572828&sr=8-2&keywords=mini+vacuum+for+pc

Oh :( yeah i have a Sandy bridge so I guess no go then. Thanks

kharma45

I'm based in the UK, and looking to buy a custom-built gaming PC. Budget is around £800, happy to go a little over for any major improvements.

Looking at the stores recommended in the OP, http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/Mass-Effect-i5-4-3Ghz-94p1248.htm looks like a good bet. PC Part Picker shows that theyre not overcharging hugely. Adding in an SSD doesn't cost too much extra, so I'll do that.

My question is whether there are any other alterations to that build that would be useful (The cooler and the PSU, perhaps?). Or, if there are any better builds that gaf has found for this sort of price? I'm pretty unfamiliar with building or buying PCs, so I've mainly been going off the guide in the OP for what a decent PC is considered to be.

I'd still advocate building your own if you can, but from that build I'd get that 560 Ti changed to a 7850.

Thanks! Would this be an okay 7850 to go with? I don't know how much manufacturer matters or if there's a preferred 7850 model.

EDIT: Looks like they've already started?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125418

It's pushing close to what I was willing to pay but looks like a good deal?

Yeah the Gigabyte one is a good 7850, as is the MSI TF3 (which I have) and the other MSI TF4 one, and the Sapphire one too.

Fjordson

I can't believe how back and forth I am on deciding a GPU. Now I was set on a 670, but for 329.99 on New Egg, with a free copy of Sleeping Dogs, I can get the 7950 3GB. I mean, that is the clear choice here, right?
$329.99?!? Oh jeez, don't do this to me...I was so set on a 670 :lol

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Can anyone recommend a good wireless card? Just realised I'm gonna need one when I can't plug it in to the router at Uni.

(Needs to be available from a UK Retailer)

EDIT: Should probably say, that is if a wireless card is the best way to go for desktop wireless.

legacyzero

Banned
Changed out the ASRock Mobo for an Asus one.

Going with the Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155. Does that one come recommended for the 3570K and the 670 GPU I'm going with?

Pepboy

Sorry, last question! Is there a benefit to getting factory OC'ed cards? Specifically:

Sapphire 7870 - $259

vs

Sapphire 7870 OC - $279

I've read somewhat conflicting reports, people saying that they put better cooling on factory OC cards, others saying they aren't any different. Are they the same card, and could I buy the $259 one myself and overclock it exactly the same way as the $279 card?

kharma45

Sorry, last question! Is there a benefit to getting factory OC'ed cards? Specifically:

Sapphire 7870 - $259

vs

Sapphire 7870 OC - $279

I've read somewhat conflicting reports, people saying that they put better cooling on factory OC cards, others saying they aren't any different. Are they the same card, and could I buy the $259 one myself and overclock it exactly the same way as the $279 card?

Save your money, they're the exact same.

You'll be able to OC yourself with ease and more than likely beyond the clock of that more expensive one.

dekjo

Hello GAF!

So I'm looking to make a new PC build since mine is basically running on mid-level parts from 2007. I want to go with a whole new build, maybe only bringing by DVD drive over just so I have one around to install old games with.

Planning to use essentially a mix of the Excellent/Enthusiast build from the OP. In fact, what I've been planning is very similar to what Ichor is putting together, except no SSD for now (will probably hold out until black Friday weekend) and I tend to prefer NVidia products, so am looking at the 660 Ti.

CPU: i5 3570K
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Video Card: MSI 660 Ti
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG
PSU: Corsair HX750

Where I'm getting hung up on is the case. I'm not hardcore with tinkering my machine; I don't typically overclock and will only go into it to clean it out. But I do want something that looks nice and will be cool and quiet, and that will give me something that I can SLI and OC with if I want to get some extra performance from my hardware further down the line.

Price isn't much of an issue, but I don't want to be stupid with my money. I can easily afford something like a SilverStone FT02, which I think looks wonderful and sounds great, but it seems like it might be a bit overboard when the Fractal F4 would probably work just as well for ~$150 less. The Fractal Design XL, Arc Midi, Antec P280, and Corsair 600T also seem viable.

Been mostly reading Anandtech reviews and will read some user reviews over the weekend, but figured I'd see if anyone here has thoughts. I'm probably overthinking this, but a good case can last a long time. Want to make a decision fairly soon so I can get my orders in and delivered in time to build next weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom