• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got everything bought but the power supply for my build. People here (thank you again) helpfully pointed me to this one, which looked great and was on sale for $90. Unfortunately, it was out of stock almost immediately, stayed out of stock for the remainder of the sale, and came back at $150. Dropped briefly back to $130, then shot back up to $150.

PCPartPicker helpfully points out that the price is usually drops much lower than that, and I'd be dumb to pick it up for the price it's currently at. So I've been waiting, and waiting, and watching the NewEgg newletters and such.

They advertised a 24 hour deal today only, COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Hybrid RS-850-SPHA-D3 850W. It's Plus Gold like the SeaSonic, more powerful (more than I'd need, I've been told). But the price drop is attractive, $139.99, with a $40 Visa Rebate card offer only valid through today on top.

But I'm not sure I'd want to mess with that fan controller, if it's required. I'm also worried if a bigger power supply will be a measurably bigger power draw on my limited circuit. Noise doesn't really bother me, but the rest of the rig will apparently be very quiet, so there is that concern too.

Should I keep waiting out the SeaSonic, or jump on this?

Getting close to midnight, any thoughts?

Edit: Decided to hold off. The controller and extra power draw I didn't need made me hesitate. Just hope the SeaSonic goes back to the sale price soon.

Not sure if this is the place to post this, but I've got an i5 - 3570k overclocked to 4.4ghz with out voltage increase. This is definitely an overclockers CPU, and it has great performance out of the box to boot.

mkenyon

Banned
More charts!

This is T:A, one minute of footage. You can expect some pretty similar results in a lot of UE3 titles. To be honest, I was expecting more blunt differences in the FPS data, but frame latency again shows it where it counts. There's nearly a ~20FPS (~2.5ms) difference in 99th percentile frame time, yet only a .5 FPS difference in average! Crazy.

xwaNh.png

mkenyon

Banned
I may have the same problem as your friend!!
I also have the P8Z77-V LK motherboard, and I get blinking red notification that the RPM is dropping too low (under 600). Not sure what is wrong, since it was the first thing I noticed when I booted up my computer.
That's CPU fan error. Just shut it off. It's calibrated for fans that spin at 3000+ RPMs.

NoRéN

That's CPU fan error. Just shut it off. It's calibrated for fans that spin at 3000+ RPMs.

I have an asus mobo as well. Can't shut it off i think, but you can lower the warning to something like 200-300 and that way you won't get the warning.

Teknoman

IMO, at that price it would be worth it to pay a bit more for a 7850, even if it's just the 1GB version (at 1080p max)

Cool, i'd be going from a Radeon 4870. Usually only play at a resolution of 1440x900.

EDIT: Found out the answer to my other question about 2.0 and 3.0 :p

I'm planning to build a new PC roughly halfway through the year in preparation for the first wave of next generation games. Do we have release dates or any information for the next wave of videocards and CPUs?

Whooter

I'm planning to build a new PC roughly halfway through the year in preparation for the first wave of next generation games. Do we have release dates or any information for the next wave of videocards and CPUs?

From what I've been able to ascertain, they should be coming in Q2 or Q3 of this year. Doesn't sound like they'll be major leaps in performance, though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
$179.99 a good price for a Radeon 6870?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150561

Well 149.99 after mail in rebate for a prepaid card, and free shipping.
Looks about right. It's the proper cooler as well. (One of XFX's has a crap cooler on it)
Not sure if this is the place to post this, but I've got an i5 - 3570k overclocked to 4.4ghz with out voltage increase. This is definitely an overclockers CPU, and it has great performance out of the box to boot.
Are you sure it isn't on Auto? What is your voltage loaded? I'd aim for under 1.30V personally.
Q2 should be when everything hits.
Haswell is more targetted towards power savings (CPU Architecture is specced at 10-20W instead of ~35W) That made me skeptical of it's benefits over current chips, but some Intel guy did an AMA and basically said Haswell is the shit for gaming. SO WHO KNOWS.

nVidia and AMD should be releasing both their new architectures (hopefully) by Q2.

GHG

Hey guys, I am wondering about these two GPUs www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125441 and www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125450
Gigabyte 660ti. Just wondering if there is any real advantage to getting the 3GB card over the 2GB considering the price difference.

If you mod games heavily or want to mod games heavily then definately go for the 3GB version. I have 2 3GB 660's (non Ti) in SLI and my VRAM usage goes well above 2GB in Skyrim when modded.

If you can get the 3GB for the same or similar price its a no brainier. There are also some theories that the 660 and 660 Ti can't use more than 1.5GB properly of the 2GB due to the architecture modification that had to be made to fit 2gb onto the 192 bit memory interface (1.5GB or 3GB of VRAM naturally fit the 192 bit, not 2GB).

Basically, go for the 3GB.

mkenyon

Banned
Probably 1080. I've seen use go into the 2.2-2.3 range in Skyrim at 1080 with a few mods installed, including the high res texture pack.

Madtown_

Hey all, I just built a computer with the i5 3750k and for graphics, the radeon 7850 hd with a z77a-g43 motherboard.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get Ubuntu to recognize my graphics card? It's not too big of a deal, as I'm planning on getting Windows installed before long, for gaming, but I will probably spend more time in Ubuntu. I have gotten a few messages from the system about the system having to use the on-cpu graphics rather than the card I have on the motherboard.

Feel free to ask any questions, I'm kind of new at this, this is my first machine. If there are some resources for this that I missed, feel free to point them out.

Hey all, I just built a computer with the i5 3750k and for graphics, the radeon 7850 hd with a z77a-g43 motherboard.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get Ubuntu to recognize my graphics card? It's not too big of a deal, as I'm planning on getting Windows installed before long, for gaming, but I will probably spend more time in Ubuntu. I have gotten a few messages from the system about the system having to use the on-cpu graphics rather than the card I have on the motherboard.

Feel free to ask any questions, I'm kind of new at this, this is my first machine. If there are some resources for this that I missed, feel free to point them out.

I would have thought Ubuntu would detect your graphics card through the proprietary, closed-source, driver manager, but I haven't used the OS in some time to verify. Using the drivers off of AMD's website means you'd have to run a script to install, yourself - and it's probably a better idea to use Ubuntu's supported repo for the driver, anyway.

So, boot with the integrated graphics, and look for that application. It used to be called "restricted drivers" or something similar. Alternatively, you can install the "fglrx" package through the terminal with apt, or you could use a GUI tool like Synaptic or the Software Store, if they include drivers, that is.

Sorry if that wasn't very helpful, I've used Ubuntu very sparingly since they replaced the UI.

Koroviev

Heh, we built almost the same computer! Except I opted for a cheaper, non-overclockable motherboard for the time being :p

Anyway, do you have another Windows OS (XP or above) lying around? If so, you can install that on your new machine, then upgrade to Windows 8 for $40 anytime up until the 31st of this month. And yes, you must install the old OS first because the upgrade version of Windows 8 needs to detect the prior version in order to work. Then, simply delete all partitions and you will be working with a clean install. I'm a big fan of Windows 8, so I feel that it is a worthy upgrade, especially considering that you receive the Pro version.

Koroviev

Oops. Well I actually don't have an account as it's just a temporary wish list.

It's a i5 3570/660ti/8GB ~$1000 build.

Here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xqAX

I would go with Windows 8 for the OS, especially if you are currently running a prior version of Windows (XP and above). It's only $40 to upgrade from an old version to Windows 8 Pro through the 31st of this month. It's exceptionally responsive and demonstrates that Microsoft has finally mastered the art of gracefully insta-killing hung applications. It's very easy to circumvent the tablet-oriented features.

mkenyon

Banned
It also is causing some frame latency issues in a number of games, doesn't work with others, and isn't quite as workstation-esque awesome as Win 7.

Koroviev

It also is causing some frame latency issues in a number of games, doesn't work with others, and isn't quite as workstation-esque awesome as Win 7.

It's inexpensive and I've encountered very few issues while running it, including playing through the entirety of Spec Ops: The Line :p

I had Windows 7, but it just isn't as snappy. The application launcher is also much improved.

2San

It's inexpensive and I've encountered very few issues with it, including playing through the entirety of Spec Ops: The Line :p

I had Windows 7, but it just isn't as snappy. The application launcher is also much improved.
Most of us are running windows 7 on a SSD though. I highly doubt windows 8 is a significant improvement over that. In terms of snappyness.

mkenyon

Banned
Snappy or not, it still slows one down when doing workstation oriented tasks like heavy spreadsheet->photoshop->lightroom editing. I had it installed for about a week and went back because it has taken a lot of the shortcuts out.

As far as being more snappy, maybe only in the instance of killing programs. Otherwise, it has some really funky things going on that it is doing in the background which causes some pretty serious stutter in games.

skyrim-beyond-50.gif

The application launcher is also much improved.
This is just insanity. You don't improve being able to hit windows key, type in part of the name of whatever it is you want to run and hit enter. It is literally impossible to make that faster.

Koroviev

Snappy or not, it still slows one down when doing workstation oriented tasks like heavy spreadsheet->photoshop->lightroom editing. I had it installed for about a week and went back because it has taken a lot of the shortcuts out.

As far as being more snappy, maybe only in the instance of killing programs. Otherwise, it has some really funky things going on that it is doing in the background which causes some pretty serious stutter in games.

skyrim-beyond-50.gif

This is just insanity. You don't improve being able to hit windows key, type in part of the name of whatever it is you want to run and hit enter. It is literally impossible to make that faster.

It feels more integrated, in my opinion. It seems like something of an afterthought in Windows 7.

Most of us are running windows 7 on a SSD though. I highly doubt windows 8 is a significant improvement over that. In terms of snappyness.

It might not be worth an upgrade if you're already running Windows 7 (for me, it was), but it seems somewhat short-sighted to go with an older, more expensive OS when the latest iteration is at least half as expensive.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Well technically Windows 8 allows you to just type and press enter. Hitting the Windows key isn't needed on the main screen.

2San

It might not be worth an upgrade if you're already running Windows 7 (for me, it was), but it seems somewhat short-sighted to go with an older, more expensive OS when the latest iteration is at least half as expensive.
I'm talking about windows 7 not being snappy. It's as snappy as windows 8 if you are running on a SSD.

Koroviev

I'm talking about windows 7 not being snappy. It's as snappy as windows 8 if you are running on a SSD.

It *might* be just a tad snappier with Windows 8, but I don't have an SSD to test that theory :)

If you're totally satisfied with Windows 7, then that's awesome! Stick with it and save money. However, I do prefer Windows 8 for the reasons I've stated.

Dizzy

Banned
Need help choosing a motherboard.

So far I'm looking at...

Zalman Z11 plus case

Gigabyte GTX 670

Intel I5 3570k processor

It sounds like I would be best with a Z77 chipset for the motherboard. No idea which to get though. Would all motherboards have enough pins and plugs for all the fans in that case?

Madtown_

Tried installing the drivers off AMD's website?

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
I gave this a shot, then the x windows or whatever it is called stopped showing up, I tried to get them to show up, and now I can't log in. Oh well, I've only had the computer for a day, nothing much on there.

Heh, we built almost the same computer! Except I opted for a cheaper, non-overclockable motherboard for the time being :p

Anyway, do you have another Windows OS (XP or above) lying around? If so, you can install that on your new machine, then upgrade to Windows 8 for $40 anytime up until the 31st of this month. And yes, you must install the old OS first because the upgrade version of Windows 8 needs to detect the prior version in order to work. Then, simply delete all partitions and you will be working with a clean install. I'm a big fan of Windows 8, so I feel that it is a worthy upgrade, especially considering that you receive the Pro version.
I have a win7 disk I'm installing now. I have absolutely no desire to spend money for win8, though. I'll be sticking with 7, then clearing the (probably) broken ubuntu partition and re-installing.

Are you sure it isn't on Auto? What is your voltage loaded? I'd aim for under 1.30V personally.

I'm no expert at overclocking, but I assume you are talking about the "turbo" mode that the Intel procs have now? The turbo mode on the 3570k is 3.8ghz. So basic OC'ing with this 3570k is just increasing the max multiplier it can use.

About 30 minutes after I made that post things started crashing, lol so I stepped up the volts just one step and that was not quite enough. My friends were starting to bug me about joining them for some Starcraft so I backed it back down to 4.3ghz so I wouldn't crash in the middle of the game. I'll look into the voltage limits some more and see what I can do. I think I'll stick with less than 1.25 volts.

scogoth

Yea that spliting thing isn't that great but the concept of typing and it automatically starts searching is interesting for Windows

As for Win 7 vs 8 i see no "must have" reason to jump on 8 yet unless you want the fancy garbage.

Having run windows 8 I see lots of reasons not to use it as a "enthusiast". 3DMark won't run, other benches are worse than win7, games run a little slower, all of the new features are annoying for desktop use, driver incompatibilities, and on and on and on. I now have one win7 install for benching and win8 for everything else. If it wasnt for the fact that I never bought windows 7 I would still be running it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom