• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

beje

Banned
Just ordered parts for my new PC. First build ever, and first new PC since 2007. Was this a decent order ?:

ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z77

Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory

Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Edition

Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular

Total: $516.

Was an unexpected order, since my 5 year old pc finally died, though unexpectedly. I also have a 560 Ti, but I had that previously.

Any recommendations on what SSD's to be looking out for? Hoping to snag a 256GB SSD during a black friday sale, or earlier for under $200.

That build looks good. About the SSD, Crucial M4 or Samsung 830/840 are the way to go.

beje

Banned
Thank you for the reply :) Ill look out for those to go on sale.

I also forgot to say that you could also take a look at a CPU cooler. The stock one is good for standard speeds, but those K CPUs are made for overclocking. $30 gets you the EVO 212 but in general going by my personal experience anything above $20 with a similar "tower" configuration will do the job nicely if you're in a budget and you're not into extreme OC'ing.

Recon

Banned
I also forgot to say that you could also take a look at a CPU cooler. The stock one is good for standard speeds, but those K CPUs are made for overclocking. $30 gets you the EVO 212 but in general going by my personal experience anything above $20 with a similar "tower" configuration will do the job nicely if you're in a budget and you're not into extreme OC'ing.

Nice, I slightly over clocked my last cpu(Q6600), but not by much. Ill look into doing more with this one.

AB12

Just ordered parts for my new PC. First build ever, and first new PC since 2007. Was this a decent order ?:

Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory

Was an unexpected order, since my 5 year old pc finally died, though unexpectedly. I also have a 560 Ti, but I had that previously.

Any recommendations on what SSD's to be looking out for? Hoping to snag a 256GB SSD during a black friday sale, or earlier for under $200.
You can get a Samsung 830 256 for $165 right now.

Do you do massive SQL queries or host a web server with thousands of users on you computer? Cause that is a waste of money in any single user workload. If fact it can be slower than a regular SSD in low queue depth tasks.

No I'm just a home user. That's strange though, I've not seen any review raise these issues at all. Not noticed it be slower in any of the normal tasks I perform either. Seems noticeably faster, but I suppose you could chalk that up to placebo?

Darte

Hi GAF,

I'm trying to build a desktop rig for the first time and could use some advice.

Budgeting roughly 2500 bucks and I'm currently around 2300 with everything but the case and the power supply.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lniy

Comments? Critiques?

Notes:

*I'm primarily going to use this rig as a gaming/work rig (my work is video related).

*I've had a decent experience with i7s so I'd prefer to stick with those.

*I plan to go with 1 GFX card atm but will most likely upgrade to a 2 way SLI in the future (No plans for 4 way).

*I plan on building this in December or January 2013.

*I don't really care about noise level once my headphones go on, so any cooling options you guys recommend would be appreciated.

Questions:
*Any recommendations on cases? I'm looking for cases with an emphasis on cooling. My room can get a bit hot during the summer (I've even bought an AC to rectify this, but thought ya'll should know my environment.)

*Keeping in mind my future upgrade of a 2 way SLI, any recommendations on power supplies?

*Any recommendations on a monitor? I just randomly picked that one but honestly I don't really know too much about them to know which one is better. All I want is at least 1080p on the screen. Is there an advantage to LEDs?

*I was thinking of getting a GTX685 but information on that card seems scarce. Supposedly it was supposed to come out between september and october, but I couldn't find anything solid on it. Price VS Performance wise, should I bother waiting for a 685? Or is it expected the price on the 680 will drop a lot after the 685 is released?

*Do I need a sound card at all? I'm primarily going to be using head phones but I have no idea if I need one.

sueil

It LIVES! No better feeling in the world than that POST on the first time. Sadly the parts got here a day before the case. So waiting for UPS today with my case and then time for gaming.

5Ne7f.jpg

Says CPU fan error tho. Should I be worried about that?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Okay. So this should be my final build.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k
MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77
Storage: 1 x WD Blue 1TB HDD and 1 x Samsung 830 128GB SSD
RAM: GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB
Video: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 3GB
Sound: Vantec UGT-S100 7.1 (I just wanted another audio port back there)
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-675M 675W ATX 12V v2.3 80 Plus Bronze
Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
Case: Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower

Go i7. Don't be a pussy

scogoth

Very very very cool!
What happened to that whole anniversary thing? =P
Can;t wait to see it with colored water!
No I'm just a home user. That's strange though, I've not seen any review raise these issues at all. Not noticed it be slower in any of the normal tasks I perform either. Seems noticeably faster, but I suppose you could chalk that up to placebo?

I don't mean to put it down because the thing is truly insanely fast. Its just under normal usage its not any faster than a regular SSD and way more expensive. If you have the money, want the absolute best and need baller status then the revodrive is the way to go.

From Anandtech
For the majority of users the RevoDrive 3 X2 is simply overkill. I even demonstrated in some of our IO bound tests that you're bottlenecked by the workload before you're limited by the hardware. That being said, if you have the right workload - I've already shown that you can push nearly 1.5GB/s of data through the card and hit random IOPS numbers of over 180K (~756MB/s in our QD32 test)

Its very fast in sequential just not worth the money unless you have everything else on your computer top of the line.

Normal Workload
39226.png

High Queue Depth
39227.png

Normal Workloads
39228.png

39229.png

39230.png

RedSwirl

Shit forgot to mention, my preferred retailer is Amazon. Doesn't mean I'm stuck on them, just that I already have an established account with Amazon Prime and everything and It's just a smoother process for me.

Revised Spec List:
i5 2500k (what's the benefit of the 3570?)
8GB RAM
HD7850
Optical Drive (Are the Blu-Ray Drives combo?)
Wi-Fi
10 USB ports
128GB SSD
Windows 7
No monitor
A case with optical out (my standard Dell already has one so I imagine they're pretty common)

kharma45

Shit forgot to mention, my preferred retailer is Amazon. Doesn't mean I'm stuck on them, just that I already have an established account with Amazon Prime and everything and It's just a smoother process for me.

Revised Spec List:
i5 2500k (what's the benefit of the 3570?)
8GB RAM
HD7850
Wi-Fi
10 USB ports
128GB SSD
Windows 7
No monitor
A case with optical out (my standard Dell already has one so I imagine they're pretty common)

3570K is faster clock for clock, plus you get PCIe 3.0.

Thraktor

Hi GAF,

I'm trying to build a desktop rig for the first time and could use some advice.

Budgeting roughly 2500 bucks and I'm currently around 2300 with everything but the case and the power supply.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lniy

Comments? Critiques?

Notes:

*I'm primarily going to use this rig as a gaming/work rig (my work is video related).

*I've had a decent experience with i7s so I'd prefer to stick with those.

*I plan to go with 1 GFX card atm but will most likely upgrade to a 2 way SLI in the future (No plans for 4 way).

*I plan on building this in December or January 2013.

*I don't really care about noise level once my headphones go on, so any cooling options you guys recommend would be appreciated.

Questions:
*Any recommendations on cases? I'm looking for cases with an emphasis on cooling. My room can get a bit hot during the summer (I've even bought an AC to rectify this, but thought ya'll should know my environment.)

*Keeping in mind my future upgrade of a 2 way SLI, any recommendations on power supplies?

*Any recommendations on a monitor? I just randomly picked that one but honestly I don't really know too much about them to know which one is better. All I want is at least 1080p on the screen. Is there an advantage to LEDs?

*I was thinking of getting a GTX685 but information on that card seems scarce. Supposedly it was supposed to come out between september and october, but I couldn't find anything solid on it. Price VS Performance wise, should I bother waiting for a 685? Or is it expected the price on the 680 will drop a lot after the 685 is released?

*Do I need a sound card at all? I'm primarily going to be using head phones but I have no idea if I need one.

A few suggestions:

Switch the RAM to four sticks of 4GB Samsung 30nm (ie two packs of this). Not only will you save almost $200, but it'll actually run faster than the RAM you've chosen, as you need four sticks to make use of the quad channel bandwidth of the 3930K. It may be worth going up to 32GB for your video workloads, in which case get either 8 sticks of the Samsung 4GB I linked to, or four 8GB sticks from Corsair/Kingston/etc. if you plan on adding more in the future (Samsung don't make 8GB sticks).

Swap the SSD out for the 256GB Samsung 830 someone linked to a few posts up. It's more reliable than the OCZ, and the extra space will be useful for your video work. There's not much point getting a Velociraptor HDD these days, as while they're quicker than standard HDDs, they're nowhere near as quick as SSDs. Swap it out for a Western Digital Black.

As far as cases go, the Fractal Arc Midi is a good case as far as cooling is concerned, well built with lots of ventilation, and the possibility for liquid cooling if you want to go that way. It's on sale at the moment, too (mkenyon posted a link a few posts up).

Edit: Actually, just realised that the motherboard you've got selected wouldn't fit in the Arc Midi. It's an EATX motherboard (ie larger than standard ATX), so if you want to stick with it you'll need a "full tower" case that's EATX compatible.

bro1

Banned

That OCZ PSU has a super short 20pin connector. You may want to order an extender.

My new i5 3750K seems to be a bit weak in terms of overclocking compared to other people's results online. I currently have it running stable at 4.4 GHz at 1.325 V which I know is a bit on the high side. I only edited the multiplier and voltage, but didn't touch the other options (llc, pll, etc.).

Should I alter the other options to help drop the voltage? Don't those just help you go higher for the clock?

Is 1.325 fixed voltage OK to run at? I know the specs for ivy bridge say it can handle up to 1.52 V. I'm just being cautious and asking.

Is higher than 1.325 V OK for long term use on ivy bridge? Should I try and go for 1.35 to 1.375 V to push the clock higher?

So far:
4.2 @ 1.272 V is the auto overclockclock my mobo gave
4.4 @ 1.300 V is unstable
4.4 @ 1.325 V is prime 95 and game stable
4.5 @ 1.325 V is unstable
4.6 @ 1.325 V is unstable

Temps: 66C prime temp @ 1.325 V, 75 C prime temp @ 1.44 V

Thanks.

Sullichin

3570K is faster clock for clock, plus you get PCIe 3.0.

So you can't have PCIe 3.0 with a 2500k? My GPU is in a PCIe3 slot but i think Catalyst Control Panel reads it as PCIe2x16. What's the benefit of PCIe3?

Man I'm just pissed looking at this thread after building my computer in July. If I waited I could have had better parts and spent less money. I guess that will always be the case.

is the difference between a HD7870 and a HD7950 huge? I'm really feeling the burn on that one, I spent more on the 7870 than that newegg HD7950 deal.

Also, I've been running my i5 at 4.5GHz, I only changed the multiplier clocks and didn't touch the voltage. I'm afraid to stress test it, but it's been running fine and i've gamed for hours. Am I being stupid?

mkenyon

Banned
Edit: Actually, just realised that the motherboard you've got selected wouldn't fit in the Arc Midi. It's an EATX motherboard (ie larger than standard ATX), so if you want to stick with it you'll need a "full tower" case that's EATX compatible.
Nah, Arc Midi fits EATX just fine. Most current mid towers do. You might be thinking about XL-ATX.

sueil

From what I have read about Ivy overclocking you don't want to push the voltage anywhere near what you did with Sandy. 1.52v seems suicidal to me.

kharma45

So you can't have PCIe 3.0 with a 2500k? My GPU is in a PCIe3 slot but i think Catalyst Control Panel reads it as PCIe2x16. What's the benefit of PCIe3?

Man I'm just pissed looking at this thread after building my computer in July. If I waited I could have had better parts and spent less money. I guess that will always be the case.

is the difference between a HD7870 and a HD7950 huge? I'm really feeling the burn on that one, I spent more on the 7870 than that newegg HD7950 deal.

Nope only PCIe 2.0 with the 2500K, although there is no GPU at least that makes full use of the bandwidth provided PCIe 3.0 yet bar the 690.

If you've already got a 7870 I'd say stick with it. With a good overclock it'll be plenty fast but if you're interested this is a rough comparison at stock

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=550

But at what extra cost? I guess if I'm going for CPU longevity I might as well, but by that same logic why wouldn't I need an i7?

Shouldn't really be any real extra cost involved, just had a quick look on Amazon UK over here and the 3570K is only £6 more, but a Z77 mobo might cost more.

mkenyon

Banned
Some cool deals today on the Egg

15% off RAM, Promo code EMCJNHE45. That means the already discounted Samsung 30nm RAM is now $30 for 8GB!

Mice are 15% off, Promo code EMCJNHE49. Go buy the Sensei Raw now, or the CM Xornet if you are on a budget.

All Lian Li silver cases are 25% off. Promo code EMCJNHE47. The A55, V750, V650, and A05 are all great cases. The A04 is a great mATX case too. V750 is a case that is smaller than most big mid towers, fits XL-ATX and even giant SR-2/SR-X dual Xeon boards. The V650 is a mATX sized case that fits full ATX motherboards.

RedSwirl

Shouldn't really be any real extra cost involved, just had a quick look on Amazon UK over here and the 3570K is only £6 more, but a Z77 mobo might cost more.

And that's the other thing: I still don't know jack shit about the mobo game.

Anyway, here's where I'm at deciding right now I guess:
i5 3570k
8GB RAM
HD7850
Wi-Fi
10 USB ports
128GB SSD
Bluetooth Keyboard & Mouse
Windows 7
No monitor

mkenyon

Banned
Do you want a small form factor PC like I linked before? Sounded like you'd be using it as a TV set computer.

Optical out will be on the motherboard.

Why 10 USB ports, out of curiosity.

JudgeN

Ok, I got my samsung 830 256gb and did all the optimization I can think of and here is my benchmark.

Now I have an ASUS P6X58D Premium motherboard with a Marvell 9128 controller, from what I understand this crappy controller is going to sap some performance. Is this as high read speed I can get?

tvHlt.png

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Do you mean you feel that PCIe 2.0 is a restriction? If so it's not, only the 690 really needs 3.0, you'll be fine with pretty much any card.

Your PCIe slot doesn't limit the cards you can use.

And, regarding performance even with a GTX 690:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...s/53901-nvidia-geforce-gtx-690-review-25.html

Wow... ok, that's a revelation. For some reason I was thinking that the newer revisions of the PCI-E spec involved higher voltages being delivered to the card via the slot itself.

Well, I guess I need to re-frame my search criteria now to the best card I can get for $200 or less (after any rebates). I'll check out the recommendations in the OP. Thanks again!

kharma45

Wow... ok, that's a revelation. For some reason I was thinking that the newer revisions of the PCI-E spec involved higher voltages being delivered to the card via the slot itself.

Well, I guess I need to re-frame my search criteria now to the best card I can get for $200 or less (after any rebates). I'll check out the recommendations in the OP. Thanks again!

Something along the lines of one of these two 7850s is the best you'll do for that sort of money

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PJTNYS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007MLSGHE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I got my samsung 830 256gb and did all the optimization I can think of and here is my benchmark.

Now I have an ASUS P6X58D Premium motherboard with a Marvell 9128 controller, from what I understand this crappy controller is going to sap some performance. Is this as high read speed I can get?

tvHlt.png

You don't have any Intel SATA ports? You should.

Install Intel RST if you haven't. That can speed it up.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I do but they aren't 6 Ghz sata ports though, they 3.0 if I understand correctly. Will I get better speeds on the slower ports?

Should have checked that first I guess, but no, it wouldn't be any faster than you're getting now. So that's probably the best you're going to get. Not sure if the Intel software will help or not if you're not using their port? Never used a third party one myself.

Moonkeis

New budget build, the OT was a big help as well:

EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB
Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB
Intel Core i5-3570K
MSI (Z77A-G43)
NZXT Source 210

I'm going to just move my current Corsair PSU,HDDs, and SSD over to the new build. I was able to pick up the case for $20 after rebate. :)

pkScary

I am upgrading my current Q6600 PC with the newer Intel LGA 1155 CPUs. I am thinking of migrating my:

550W PSU
Radeon 4850
Storage drives
DVDRW Drive
Keyboard
Mouse
Monitor

and getting a new:

Case ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007BDJ58M/?tag=neogaf0e-20 )
Motherboard ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837 ? It comes with ram right now and it's cheap - any reason why it's one of the cheapest LGA 1155 boards out there?)
CPU ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070 ) (i5 or i7, price difference worth it?)
CPU Cooler ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099 )
RAM ( 8GB inc/ w/ mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144614 OR Samsung 30nm or Corsair 8GB sticks so I can upgrade to 32GB later)

Any thoughts or things I should be concerned about?

Thanks so much for the build guide and thread. I never would have gotten this far without either but now I'd just like a bit of advice before I take the plunge. Thanks guys.

So I built a new computer recently (i5-3570, 8gb RAM, etc) and I have an ASUS 460GTX 1gb still that I took out of my older computer. I really like the 7850, but I wanted to know if I should hold out until the next gen mid range GPUs are out, or would the 7850 be a big enough upgrade from the 460 that it's worth the purchase.

RedSwirl

So I read the OT again and I still don't really know how to pick a case or motherboard. What usually comes standard with cases? Ports?

Below is what I've nailed down so far:

i5 3570k
8GB RAM
HD7850
Wi-Fi
128GB SSD
Bluetooth Keyboard & Mouse
Windows 7
No monitor

Plus I'd be migrating a 1TB HDD.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So I built a new computer recently (i5-3570, 8gb RAM, etc) and I have an ASUS 460GTX 1gb still that I took out of my older computer. I really like the 7850, but I wanted to know if I should hold out until the next gen mid range GPUs are out, or would the 7850 be a big enough upgrade from the 460 that it's worth the purchase.

I'd give the 460 a shot first, especially if it's not a LE model 460. I believe the 460 is comparable to the 6850, and that's still on the low end of the recommendation spectrum.

Unless you just can't run games how you want with it I'd say hold off until the next round of cards.

garath

I'm almost in the same exact boat. Recently built an i5 system but kept my old 460. I can still run everything well so really upgrading is just a luxury at this point. Though I'm still debating the 660ti or 7950. For reference, the 660ti is about 3x as powerful as the 460. It would be a good upgrade. But there's really not many games pushing the envelope anymore. I may just wait as well.

Tess3ract

Banned
So I read the OT again and I still don't really know how to pick a case or motherboard. What usually comes standard with cases? Ports?

Below is what I've nailed down so far:

Plus I'd be migrating a 1TB HDD.
Cases are all about aesthetics. Pick whatever you want that looks good.

If you want functional over aesthetics or a mix of both (such as being able to hide cables behind the motherboard) then ask here.

Motherboard, it depends what you want. Go with an H77(?) or Z77 board and overclock that cpu. Also get a hyper 212 Evo.

ZetaEpyon

Crap, one of my 2TB Hitachi drives in my Windows Home Server system failed last night - over 2000 reallocated sectors, according to CrystalDiskInfo.

Are WD Reds the current standing recommendation for mass storage? I'd been hoping to hold out a little longer and build a nice ZFS system, but the server has less than 1 drive's worth of free space now, which makes me a little nervous...

cametall

I'm almost in the same exact boat. Recently built an i5 system but kept my old 460. I can still run everything well so really upgrading is just a luxury at this point. Though I'm still debating the 660ti or 7950. For reference, the 660ti is about 3x as powerful as the 460. It would be a good upgrade. But there's really not many games pushing the envelope anymore. I may just wait as well.

I went from a 460 to a 7950 and it was a big upgrade for me. I can play Sleeping Dogs on extreme instead of a mix of low-medium settings. BF3 runs beautifully now with the new Catalyst beta drivers.

Plus you get 3 free games and a substantial discount on another if you buy a 7950.

7950 also OCs like a beast.

Realized the other day my older machine isn't getting much use, and it's still packing a GTX 275.

I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to place this in my current machine as a PhysX card. Around how powerful a PSU would I need to be able to support the GTX 275 and my current GTX 470?

I think i have a OCZ Modstream 600W in there right now. I have a Corsair 650W I could swap it out for as well.

EDIT: More research has led me to think that I need something more in the 750 range, and that this is probably a waste of time/overkill for just PhysX.

RedSwirl

Cases are all about aesthetics. Pick whatever you want that looks good.

If you want functional over aesthetics or a mix of both (such as being able to hide cables behind the motherboard) then ask here.

Motherboard, it depends what you want. Go with an H77(?) or Z77 board and overclock that cpu. Also get a hyper 212 Evo.

Not sure if I'm gonna bother OC'ing but whatever. What are the other differences?

Edit: This looks nice I guess - http://www.amazon.com/Crafted-Series-Tower-Steel-Chassis/dp/B003WE9WQO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1351197420&sr=8-9&keywords=computer+case

Shambles

Bad idea. A GTX 670 would spank Tri SLI 280s.

Not to mention 280s run hot, has less VRAM (sli the VRAM does not stack), no dx11 support, etc.

Yeah, you'll get a much better experience with 1 670 than 3 280's. You might get a bit better synthetic benchmarks with the tri-sli but real world performance will favour the 670 and you'l have waaay less issues with the 670.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom