• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk3tch

Did you guys look at who did the post? sk3tch is messing with us :p

Ha. It would be interesting though. I got an email from NewEgg telling me about video cards (because, ya know, I'm always browsing) and I was shocked to see the good ol' GTX 280 show up! I bet 3-way SLI 280s would still be pretty beast...but yeah...hot, power hungry...etc. - but hey, under $300 for 3!

There is no NVIDIA equivalent to the 7850. Maybe the 560 Ti 448 core, but that draws more power and therefore runs hotter. It's still an insignificant upgrade.

AMD basically has a stranglehold on the $300 and under market right now. The 660Ti and 660 aren't great picks for looking ahead 2 years due to limited VRAM and memory bandwidth.

Even 2 GB is too little? Wow.

What about memory bandwidth?

Ty4on

Even 2 GB is too little? Wow.

What about memory bandwidth?

He went more into detail about the VRAM in this post.
Benches don't tell the whole story.

660Ti has been able to take advantage of months of Kepler driver iteration which means better performance. The 7950 scores you see are mostly on outdated drivers on or near release.

In addition to that, the 7950 has more memory bandwidth which means better performance when more memory is being used. The 660Ti for all intents and purposes, is more like 1.6GB VRAM than 2GB. With this in mind, the 3GB for the 7950 gives you a lot more overhead and better prepares you for a 2ish year upgrade path.

Beyond all this, the 7950 is very conservatively clocked. It's pretty easy to get an extra 10-15% in performance without any noticeable effect on temperatures or noise. The 660Ti is pushed pretty heavily to the limits, and you're going to need to score big on chip lottery to squeeze much out of it. Most of Kepler is like this.

The only reason to go with a 660Ti is because of fear of 'lol ATi drivers!', which is a silly reason that is totally outdated.

And here you can see the result of the memory bandwith when bumping up AA.
Framerate%201920x1080%20FPS.png

Full review.

RedSwirl

He went more into detail about the VRAM in this post.

And here you can see the result of the memory bandwith when bumping up AA.
Framerate%201920x1080%20FPS.png

Full review.

So for my upgrade, would a 7850 be reasonable if I plan to upgrade from that GPU in about a year anyway?

Also, what do I need to know about shopping for RAM and optical drives? Are Blu-Ray drives (not burners) usually combo (as in reads and burns CDs and DVDs)?

mr2xxx

Banned
Have you looked at the fanless Streacoms (FC5 and FC8)? They're a little expensive and require an external PSU, but you can put any CPU which has a TDP of less than 65W (Laptop CPUs have TDPs from 17 in ultrabooks to 45 in big laptops) with the fanless cooler integrated into the chassis. With one or two SSDs they would make no noise what so ever.
fc8-featured.jpg

I love the look of this, anything that resembles it and allows for a more powerful build?

RedSwirl

Just remembered my dad already has W7. Wonder if he'd be willing to let me use his cheap upgrade to W8. I should probably wait till it at least hits SP1.

Syril

My computer is pretty old, and I was wondering, if I could only upgrade one of the components, which one could be upgraded with the most noticeable improvement:

Q6600 2.4GHz
4GB RAM
HD 4850

GeoNeo

I disagree.
My computer is pretty old, and I was wondering, if I could only upgrade one of the components, which one could be upgraded with the most noticeable improvement:

Q6600 2.4GHz
4GB RAM
HD 4850

Overclock the Q6600 to around 3.4GHz. (If you are using the intel stock cooler also invest in a better heatsink of course)

& buy a 7950 (take advantage of the great deals AMD are doing atm.)

The CPU won't really bottleneck most games yet you'll see big improvement when playing games not only quality wise but also framerate.

Recon

Banned

Q6600 2.4GHz
4GB RAM
HD 4850

That processor is surprisingly still very capable. I was running the same one but clocked to 3.0 until my motherboard decided to die on me yesterday.

RedSwirl

That processor is surprisingly still very capable. I was running the same one but clocked to 3.0 until my motherboard decided to die on me yesterday.

Yeah I'm on the exact same processor and am only just now deciding to upgrade. I can't overclock though since I'm running on a pre-built Dell. I still think it's about time since just about everyone else I know has at least an i5. Plus, my 3GB of RAM is starting to hit its limit.

Irobot82

Is a 7950 with the 7970 PCB worth paying more for? I noticed the Sapphire 100352-2L 7950 is $270 and it just seems like too good a deal to pass up.

edit: Scratch that, pricing website doesn't look at the OUT OF STOCK. Ah well.

So I just ordered my CPU, motherboard, CPU cooler, RAM, PSU, 1TB HDD, and Case all for $554!
Going to order my SSD in a few days (gonna see if there are random drops on them) and GPU next week. ^_^

Le-mo

PC-Gaf, I have some audio questions. I'm currently using a HD Radeon 6950 video card and for some reason it only supports Display and DVI ports. I have no idea how I overlooked this so I am forced to use a DVI-HDMI adapter to connect my PC to my monitor and a coaxial cable to my receiver for sound. I want to set up 7.1 surround sounds on my computer but this is where the problem starts. From what I know, after googling, coaxial cable doesn't support 7.1 channel audio or any of these HD Audio formats such as:

Dolby Digital Plus (lossy)
Dolby TrueHD (lossless)
DTS HD (lossy)
DTS HD MA (lossless)
Multi-channel PCM (lossless)

I read that Display Port can carry video and audio just like a HDMI cable so if I buy a Display port to HDMI adapter and connect my pc to my receiver as input and use another HDMI cable to connect my receiver to my t.v. as output will I be able to get video and 7.1 surround sound that way?

Edgeward

My Corsair TX750V2 should be arriving tomorrow to replace my 530w Raidmax PSU. Hopefully it isn't DOA or something goes terribly wrong. Just preparing myself when I do take the plunge and upgrade my GPU, hope Black Friday week brings me a good deal on a 7950 ^^

mkenyon

Banned
I read that Display Port can carry video and audio just like a HDMI cable so if I buy a Display port to HDMI adapter and connect my, pc to my receiver as input and use another HDMI cable to connect my receiver to my t.v. as output will I be able to get video and 7.1 surround sound that way?
DVI-I (I think, maybe DVI-D) is literally the same thing as HDMI. I know for SURE that will work if you get an adapter. DP probably will. RTFM to figure out which DVI out is the one that carries video and audio.

There are like five or six DVI standards, which I didn't even know until this year.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I went ahead and pointed a camera at the TV while I played Proteus for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/80sGmOu2QPI

Its a beautiful experience. I only played that 8 minutes though, I'm about to go back in a few minutes once I get.. uhm.. in the right frame of mind. Its 7.50$ and not on steam, but DRM free and comes with some music.
visitproteus.com

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
While I'm passing this "salami sandwich" off to you, you need to revisit Planetside! I've been getting the hang of it and learning the metagame and economy etc.. its really really cool. Its just such a futuristic experience. The scale of the battles, and it looks AMAZING on my rig. I've been playing with a buddy and we're definitely looking for some more people to regularly play with. The game is absolutely unplayable without some buddies to coordinate with.

Speaking of which.... We have Saturday morning planned out for my first DayZ experience! Gonna have to get a good nights sleep and eat a healthy breakfast. My dude is already a seasoned vet so I'm just gonna tag along with him and get shown the ropes. VERY excited.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.

Q6600 2.4GHz
4GB RAM
HD 4850
Do you have an SSD? If not, get one before you do anything else.

mkenyon

Banned
Not to poo on your parade, but the window is total garbage. Have it on my R4 and its the worst quality plastic possible. Its that really staticy plastic that grabs every bit of dust possible. It also scratches when you breathe on it. Already replaced mine with a piece of acrylic.

I've seen some bad windows in my day (and not the Vista kind), this one takes the cake.

Might be worth it just for the panel itself. Mounting acrylic on there is as simple as grabbing some 3M Extreme Mounting tape.

@Jtwo

Alright, Ill assemble the squad for another shot. You need to download warsow though. More of a caffiene and adderall affair than salami sandwiches though. Its the only game I know that approaches geometry wars ii level of intensity. If not that, than at least Tribes Ascend. You dont get any more PC than that.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh dude I've totally been playing tribes ascend! It's perfect, I've been skiing up a storm.
Never heard of Warsow I'll check it out!

TheD

The Detective
DVI-I (I think, maybe DVI-D) is literally the same thing as HDMI. I know for SURE that will work if you get an adapter. DP probably will. RTFM to figure out which DVI out is the one that carries video and audio.

There are like five or six DVI standards, which I didn't even know until this year.

DVI-I is digital video + analog RGB video (same as VGA), DVI-D is digital only.

The digital (and electrical) format that DVI uses is shared with HDMI (called TMDS), what that allows you to do is to send an HDMI spec signal over a DVI-I or D plug and cable (including audio, due to the fact it is sent on the same wires as the video).

DP does not use TMDS, but the specs for it support something called Dual-mode.
An DP port that supports it can switch to using it's pins to send a a HDMI/DVI compatible signal that is then converted via a passive adapter into the a HDMI or DVI cable.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone in this thread! My rig is up and running beautifully. Updated the BIOS and noticed my RAM was running at 1333 instead of 1600, so I went ahead and corrected that.

I can't get over how fast this thing boots. Thirty seconds? Are you kidding me???

:)

Le-mo

I'm currently using a DVI-I (Dual Link) to HDMI adapter and when I connect that to my receiver as input there is no video signal. I can only get video if I connect it directly to my T.V. and I'm sure DVI doesn't carry audio signal.

DVI-I is digital video + analog RGB video (same as VGA), DVI-D is digital only.

The digital (and electrical) format that DVI uses is shared with HDMI (called TMDS), what that allows you to do is to send an HDMI spec signal over a DVI-I or D plug and cable (including audio, due to the fact it is sent on the same wires as the video).

DP does not use TMDS, but the specs for it support something called Dual-mode.
An DP port that supports it can switch to using it's pins to send a a HDMI/DVI compatible signal that is then converted via a passive adapter into the a HDMI or DVI cable.
I'm not sure what all this means. So if I buy a Displayport to HDMI adapter I can get 7.1 support and video by connecting it to my receiver?

So I got offered Windows 8 for $19 and am wondering whether I should upgrade or not. I've got Windows 7 Professional and the upgrade is to Windows 8 Professional.

Any weird incompatibilities or massive drops in performance when compared to 7? And is it alright to just do an upgrade over a total reinstall?

Prozel

RMA went through and my money should return Monday or so. Since then I've decided that I'm jumping to a 7950 since the OC potential is very high, the never settle bundle, and the new drivers.

So I got offered Windows 8 for $19 and am wondering whether I should upgrade or not. I've got Windows 7 Professional and the upgrade is to Windows 8 Professional.

Any weird incompatibilities or massive drops in performance when compared to 7? And is it alright to just do an upgrade over a total reinstall?
I switched recently, for my usage it's just a faster windows 7. Zero problems with games.

I did a clean install.

TheD

The Detective
I'm currently using a DVI-I (Dual Link) to HDMI adapter and when I connect that to my receiver as input there is no video signal. I can only get video if I connect it directly to my T.V. and I'm sure DVI doesn't carry audio signal.

I'm not sure what all this means. So if I buy a Displayport to HDMI adapter I can get 7.1 support and video by connecting it to my receiver?

As I said, DVI outputs(at least on newish AMD and Nvidia cards) and cables can carry audio

What you want to do with DP is the same as going DVI port -> HDMI adapter -> receiver -> TV.

Do have a touch screen?
Do you want a pointless replacement for the start menu?
Do you hate right click?
Do you want to hunt around to find the shut down button?
Do you want to bounce around two GUIs for no reason?

If yes, install win 8, if no, don't.

And yes it is known for braking some games.

beje

Banned
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone in this thread! My rig is up and running beautifully. Updated the BIOS and noticed my RAM was running at 1333 instead of 1600, so I went ahead and corrected that.

I can't get over how fast this thing boots. Thirty seconds? Are you kidding me???

:)

Now get an SSD and you will be able to boot in 10. Maybe less :)

sueil

Got my new comp setup last night and finally really started using it today. POST appears, then windows logo flashes for 2 seconds, then login screen. God damn I love SSDs. Still getting games installed so haven't really done any gaming yet. Love this thing so far.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Erm I am having an issue. Motherboard nor Bios wont detect the old drive. New one is recognized but the old one, wherr I have my stuff and OS, is noy. Tries replugging cables but no, and its getting power too.

Madridy

Thanks for the recommendations! Loving my new PC so far.

049ff355b9b25c3c2c21477f46ecc564c9d20eba.png

Congrats, Nothing beats the feeling when your new PC boots up for the first time!

Also I think your Heatsink Fan orientation is not the suggested way, it is better to have it as push rather than pull. I mean pushing air through the HS from the other side if I'm not clear enough.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Something along the lines of one of these two 7850s is the best you'll do for that sort of money

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PJTNYS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007MLSGHE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks. I was considering that second link, the MSI Twin Frozr III OC 7850 (TWIN FROZR 2GD5/OC). Based on all of the reviews I've read, both of my current GPU (vanilla GTX 260) and this card, it doesn't look like I should even have to replace my PSU since those old 260 cards were such hogs. Does that sound likely? I don't plan to do any overclocking at all.

Due to the Windows 8 installer getting stuck on a black screen during the "Getting Devices Ready..." portion of the install I will be staying on Windows 7 for the foreseeable future.

Hello there, this is my first post here.

I am wondering if there are any ways of assisting with the cooling of a reference GTX670 that wouldn't involve modifying the actual card in any way?

I bought a PC and it is under warranty so I don't really want to start pulling the card apart. I guess I am probably asking for something impossible but it is worth a go.

The case for my build is a Zalman Z9.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Congrats, Nothing beats the feeling when your new PC boots up for the first time!

Also I think your Heatsink Fan orientation is not the suggested way, it is better to have it as push rather than pull. I mean pushing air through the HS from the other side if I'm not clear enough.

Yeah, it ain't push/pull!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Got it working. This ia funny...

1! I broke.a Sata Cable pin thing. These Asus MB have the Sata ports on the side... Come on!

Then when plugging the sata to the new HDD.... The hinge where the cable is connected.... Broke. That shitty little plastic piece broke. Thank you WD. Thankfully i was able to put the pins in position and it worked. So at the end of the day....

I suck with SATA cables

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Is the 840 Pro worth it over getting an 830?

Check the AnAndTech review they compare it with 830 + other SSD's.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6328/samsung-ssd-840-pro-256gb-review

The performance and power characteristics of Samsung's SSD 840 Pro are as close to perfect as we've seen from any drive this generation. In all but a handful of benchmarks, the 840 Pro is the fastest consumer SSD we've ever tested. Even more important than its industry leading performance is the fact that the 840 Pro delivers great performance while remaining one of the lowest power SSDs to make it through our labs.

Keep in mind this was an early review sample which actually failed on them. So the one out now has updated firmware etc.

Pretty stunning SSD. I think next year when I buy another SSD it will end up being Samsung seeing as they really are releasing kick ass SSDs for PC's these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom