• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordeccai

Hey GAF, building my first PC after four years of being outta the game and wanted to throw my build up. Have to keep the budget at 800$ including a monitor

Case:Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Mobo:BIOSTAR TZ77B LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
CPU:vIntel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
GPU:XFX Double D FX-785A-CDFC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
PSU:Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply

Monitor: BenQ GW2250 Glossy Black 21.5" 4ms (GTG) Widescreen LED Monitor

This puts me at about 810. I wanted an SSD, but figure I will wait and throw one in later down the road. Everything check out? Want to use this build for gaming and it looks like the 7850 is a good mid price range card. If there are any corners I could cut I would love to see, need to find Windows 7 to install as well. I think my school sells it for cheap but they are upgrade copies. Thing I'm worried most about is the HDD, I had a hard time deciding on getting just a 128 gb SSD (I don't store many files at all, word files for school, no pictures or video, and only play 1-2 games at a time) or getting a cheaper HDD. Is this HDD reliable enough? I would love to buy both but will have to wait till the end of the year to buy an SSD if I don't put one in this build.

Edit: That 7870 ^ is the same price as my 7850... gonna buy that one instead. Would a 450W PSU be enough for it?

annnnnnnnnnddddd the Arc Midi case deal is gone. Goddamnit I should've started my build earlier. I was supposed to start looking the beginning of November, why I waited so long I don't know.

That's pushing it a bit on the CX430. I think its only like 330-350w on the 12V rail.
Yeah, I know, it's the only real complaint I have with how it turned out. This was the first time I did a build during black friday and I didn't expect to find another psu for that price. Of course the CX500 ended up being the same price at ncix and there have been a few others in that price range as well but it'd already shipped from newegg by the time I saw them. Might still make a small order for myself and get another psu for him and just gift that one to my brother for Christmas since he needs a psu too.

kharma45

Hey GAF, building my first PC after four years of being outta the game and wanted to throw my build up. Have to keep the budget at 800$ including a monitor

Case:Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Mobo:BIOSTAR TZ77B LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
CPU:vIntel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
GPU:XFX Double D FX-785A-CDFC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
PSU:Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply

Monitor: BenQ GW2250 Glossy Black 21.5" 4ms (GTG) Widescreen LED Monitor

This puts me at about 810. I wanted an SSD, but figure I will wait and throw one in later down the road. Everything check out? Want to use this build for gaming and it looks like the 7850 is a good mid price range card. If there are any corners I could cut I would love to see, need to find Windows 7 to install as well. I think my school sells it for cheap but they are upgrade copies. Thing I'm worried most about is the HDD, I had a hard time deciding on getting just a 128 gb SSD (I don't store many files at all, word files for school, no pictures or video, and only play 1-2 games at a time) or getting a cheaper HDD. Is this HDD reliable enough? I would love to buy both but will have to wait till the end of the year to buy an SSD if I don't put one in this build.

Edit: That 7870 ^ is the same price as my 7850... gonna buy that one instead. Would a 450W PSU be enough for it?

That 7870 is a much better buy, I'd try to avoid XFX cards. Do note that the VP450 comes with a single PCIe connector, the 7870 requires two, so you'll need to use a Molex -> PCIe adapter, or you could change PSU to something like the XFX Core Edition which has 2 of them.

This is where I'm at so far...

PCPartPicker Link

Case: ?
Motherboard: ($89.99, 69.99 w/ rebate - NewEgg) BIOSTAR TZ77B LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
CPU: ($129.99, NewEgg) Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i33220
GPU: (FREE?) EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card * - I have a couple, I can plugin one and see if it works.
RAM: ($39.99, NewEgg) CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9
HDD: (FREE) Western Digital WD Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive * - Will put it in new build, 750 GB is enough for me... for now.
PSU: ($46.62, Amazon) Antec VP-450 450 Watt Energy Star Certified Power Supply

Monitor: ?

Current Computer marks

Like I said earlier, I'm asking alot of questions because I'm trying to setup a machine that will last awhile, so I'm trying to combine Standard and Enhanced value components from Hazaro's list. Hoping I could maybe build a rig that'll cost maybe around $600 since I alread have the hard drives/possibly the card. I want a machine that has a lot of RAM for gaming/multitasking, but since I don't play a ton of PC games (the most powerful game I play is like Doom 3/Guild Wars 2) I don't need the latest card. Money is tight right now so I'm trying to save on costs for things not the CPU/Motherboard/Graphics Card.

The other thing is I'm not planning to buy everything at once either, I figure I could have all the parts by Christmas and build it then. If some of the items will go down a bit in price within a month or so, I'd love a heads-up.

So.

Das Keyboard is going to be an amazon flash deal tonight @ 11pm PST.

Since its going for $100 right now it could go as low as 50-75. That seems like the cheapest mechanical keyboard in ages. Heads up though, its a cherry blue.

DJ_Lae

Current videocard is almost dead, so I'm thinking of replacing it now and then moving it over into my new build come January (I'm not going to do the whole thing now as I can claim a chunk of it in 2013).

Thinking of this 7850. $160CDN after the hassle of the rebate.

Pricing seems to be jacked on this MSI 7970, but is it worth the $140 more assuming there are still some left at $300? I don't think it would fit in my current PC, though, so I'd be running onboard and not gaming until the new computer.

coopolon

Got my new build going. It is ridiculous how easy it is to overlock the ivy bridge processors. I literally change a number for 34 to 44 in the bios, hit enter, and I've got 30% boost in processor speed. Running prime95 now, so far so good for half an hour,temps haven't gone over 60 although I expect they will.

At 4.6 I can't get much past post, so I think I'll stick with 4.4 for awhile before playing with voltages.

Also, the biggest imrpovement in building this PC from the one I built in 2008 is the HAF912 case vs the Antec 300 I used 4 years ago. So many new features in this budget case. Nice options for cable management, lots of tools-free installation options, cpu cut out for easy third party cooler installation.

Can't wait to play GTAIV later!

Mordeccai

That 7870 is a much better buy, I'd try to avoid XFX cards. Do note that the VP450 comes with a single PCIe connector, the 7870 requires two, so you'll need to use a Molex -> PCIe adapter, or you could change PSU to something like the XFX Core Edition which has 2 of them.

Swapped out the PSU, figure putting in the Core Edition 550W PSU would give me a bit more longevity for upgrades if I decide to throw a better card in next year.

Quick question, would all the cables I need for my build come with all the parts I'm buying? Will a DVI cable come with my monitor/gpu or do I need to buy that separately.

Also, should I be looking for a monitor with HDMI instead of DVI? Is there that much of a difference? I'll probably split my time gaming between a monitor and a 42 inch TV.

And, is it a good idea to be buying my build this weekend? Don't want to get burned if there are potentially sales going on for Cyber Monday.

RedSwirl

That GB mobo looks fine, but I only see 6 on the back (but all USB 3.0!)

This ASRock has 8 ports on the back: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157298

Of course you have your top case ports as well and nearly every mobo has 6 USB on the back now.

If you are still gathering parts and 6 ports ont he back is fine you can go with either of these for a touch less.

RAM bundle: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157330
Extreme4: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

6 ports is just enough but cutting it close. I guess if I need more I can buy another card with USB cords.

Any of those available on Amazon?

Nekrono

What are the 2500k voltage limits? I remember seeing Hazaro say this a lot back then but I wasn't really interested in OC'ing at the moment.

What are the safe/not safe numbers for vcore?

Shambles

Hey guys, 1 more question.

Is this a good power supply and will it power a his icq 7870 , i5 3450 , and 8 gigs ram?

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX35072

Sorry for all the questions, I live about 5 hours away from any computer stores and things cost extra to ship here, so I have to be very careful about what I order cause I'm stuck with it!

I've been looking at the same stuff. I'm redoing the wifes machine in TJ08. It's going to only be a mid-range gaming PC but I don't want to reduce options down the road by going with a VP450. The machine will probably end up having a 7870 in it so I've been looking at the BP550 and Neo Eco 520. Me Doesn't carry the Neo Eco and the BP550 is modular so it's not really going to fit in the TJ08 with the extra length that modular systems have. Still haven't figured out what I want yet.

conman

Alright. About ready to bite the bullet in the next couple of days. Any final tweaks or suggestions would be helpful. Primarily a gaming and HTPC on a 720p 32" LCD. Here's what I'm looking at:

Case: HAF 912 ($55 +$15 rebate)
Mobo: Biostar TZ77B ($89 +$20 rebate)
CPU: i5 3570K ($220 +$20 gift card)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD7870 ($210 +$15 rebate)
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaw (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 ($25)
PSU: Antec BP550 ($65)
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 ($25 +$10 rebate)

Total: $690 (-$60 rebate = $630)

Reusing: 4-year-old WD750GB HDD (still waiting on better HDD prices)

Lkr

CPU - i5 3570k ($150)
Case - Antec 300 ($29.99 AR)
Cooler - hyper 212($25 AR)
mobo - MSI Z77A-G41($60 AR)
ram - 2x4gb gskill ripjaws DDR3 1600($24.99)
GPU - Sapphire 7870 GHz Edition($194.99 AR)
PSU - CX430($16.99 AR) // still unsure about this
still need an HDD but can reuse a 250gb and 160gb drives i have that are old as hell

total so far: $501.99

i'm a bit high on the total so i'm trying to lower it still

Proc

Any Canadians that don't hit up a the canadian deal thread...

GTX570 is $184 at ncix.ca ..$164 after rebate.

I ended up buying another one to run SLI.

I also grabbed an $89 3 TB SEAGATE Barricuda HDD while I was there.

Ocho

So.

Das Keyboard is going to be an amazon flash deal tonight @ 11pm PST.

Since its going for $100 right now it could go as low as 50-75. That seems like the cheapest mechanical keyboard in ages. Heads up though, its a cherry blue.

How sure are you of this?

conman

CPU - i5 3570k ($150)
Case - Antec 300 ($29.99 AR)
Cooler - hyper 212($25 AR)
mobo - MSI Z77A-G41($60 AR)
ram - 2x4gb gskill ripjaws DDR3 1600($24.99)
GPU - Sapphire 7870 GHz Edition($194.99 AR)
PSU - CX430($16.99 AR) // still unsure about this
still need an HDD but can reuse a 250gb and 160gb drives i have that are old as hell

total so far: $501.99

i'm a bit high on the total so i'm trying to lower it still
Where you finding the CPU so cheap?

sk3tch

Slangin' a EVGA GTX 690 in the b/s/t thread if anyone's interested. Went quad-SLI and it was a waste (but I had to do it)...so rollin' back to a single GTX 690. :)

kharma45

Swapped out the PSU, figure putting in the Core Edition 550W PSU would give me a bit more longevity for upgrades if I decide to throw a better card in next year.

Quick question, would all the cables I need for my build come with all the parts I'm buying? Will a DVI cable come with my monitor/gpu or do I need to buy that separately.

Also, should I be looking for a monitor with HDMI instead of DVI? Is there that much of a difference? I'll probably split my time gaming between a monitor and a 42 inch TV.

And, is it a good idea to be buying my build this weekend? Don't want to get burned if there are potentially sales going on for Cyber Monday.

Yeah it should do, 550w is a good sweet spot imo as power consumption is only ever coming down at the minute, and the XFX PSU is Seasonic made so should be reliable.

It probably varies from monitor to monitor, most will tell you what comes in the box on their product website.

Lkr

Clicked as soon as it went up, got spot #1 on the waitlist, and just checked it out along with that sweet 7870 for 210$ deal as well :]

400 bucks for the 3570k and a 7870 sounds good to me!

isn't the 7870 cheaper on newegg?

i'm mad at myself because the 7870 i wanted at newegg went out of stock and i didn't order yesterday

Hey guys help me please...

I have the following config:

- Phenom II X4 945
- 4GB DDR 2 800
- HD4890

I'm in a bad situation ($) but I have the opportunity to upgrade one part of my rig, so I'm thinking of buying a GTX660Ti... and in the near future I'll upgrade the rest.

My question is: is it worth?

Fuck amazon lightning deals during BF.
Newegg works just as well. Amazon charges tax which adds up to nearly $200 anyway. Newegg is $200 flat with a code and no tax at the moment. They also put up more than five items for sale unlike Amazon.

Edit: My mistake. It is a gift card. Eh, okay I guess.

kennah

NCIX has the GTX 670 for $330 after rebate, $40 more than the GTX 660 ti I was planning on getting. Is there any noticeable performance difference? I can't seem to find any consensus on that, some sources say the difference is negligible while others say the 670 should perform better because of its higher memory bandwidth.

- Phenom II X4 945
- 4GB DDR 2 800
- HD4890

I'm in a bad situation ($) but I have the opportunity to upgrade one part of my rig, so I'm thinking of buying a GTX660Ti... and in the near future I'll upgrade the rest.

This was posted last page. Would be a hell of an upgrade that would last you upgrading the rest. The 660ti has memory bandwith limitations that dont' make it as amazing as the 560ti was. (comparatively)

kharma45

- Phenom II X4 945
- 4GB DDR 2 800
- HD4890

If money is tight I'd say stick with what you have. The 4890 still isn't a bad card by any means (looked into OCing it, and/or your CPU?) and upgrade when you're in a better position would be my suggestion, no point spending money when it could be better spent (or saved) elsewhere.

Well, finally pulled the trigger on my new build, and, a feeling of dread came over me a good 2 hours after the fact when I realised I'd just spent about £700. I should have never opened that damn hi-res PC pictures thread. If this thing doesn't make my eyes burst out of their sockets, then I'll jump, I swear I'll do it.

Thanks for the help, this thread was extremely useful in getting my bearings after completely losing track of PC technology in the last 6 years. Anyway, I hear there's this thing called Steam, and they've been known to do the odd discount sale every now and then, I'm sure there's no harm in checking it out.

Mordeccai

isn't the 7870 cheaper on newegg?

i'm mad at myself because the 7870 i wanted at newegg went out of stock and i didn't order yesterday

Damn, its the same price on Newegg (210) but come with a free Far Cry 3 voucher. >:[ Oh well.

Anybody think HDD prices will be cheaper on Cyber Monday or is it safe to buy one of those now. I hate buying holiday season because it always seems like there is a sale around the corner!

PedroPanache said:
Thanks for the help, this thread was extremely useful in getting my bearings after completely losing track of PC technology in the last 6 years. Anyway, I hear there's this thing called Steam, and they've been known to do the odd discount sale every now and then, I'm sure there's no harm in checking it out

Oh boy. If you haven't heard of or used Steam before you're in for a treat. Wait until the winter sale usually around Christmas... your wallet will cry even more.

Gowans

OK so this weekend I'm in with a change of updating my desktop.

I've got £200/250max to spend patching it up.

Thinking about going here http://www.falconcomputers.co.uk/ tomorrow to pick some stuff up.

I need a new wifi card too, my current one is terrible.

DXDiag

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5670
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x68D8)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Display Memory: 2295 MB
Dedicated Memory: 503 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: HP w2448h Wide LCD Monitor
Monitor Model: HP w2448h
Monitor Id: HWP2815
Native Mode: 1920 x 1200(p) (59.950Hz)
Output Type: HDMI

Windows Performance Test 5.9

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 6.1
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB 6.2
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5670 7.0
Gaming graphics 2303 MB Total available graphics memory 7.0
Primary hard disk 5GB Free (219GB Total) 5.9

Status